Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #31  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Check in

Coaches

Frustrating day. Persevered with submission to the town but sent 3.5hrs past deadline with text 4x too long and two images not high resolution I sent it cause I said I would and there's no way I'll get the prize at the end of the rainbow but I can get feedback and clarification of where I went so wrong. Procrastination and self doubt and poor self esteem bit me on this one. It was important for me to complete the submission so credit for that.

Foodwise did ok stayed op.

Bedtime. Night!
Old 04-06-2018, 01:46 AM   #32  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

I’m just going to bed after our drive to Ohio. Soon BBE will be making his morning post!

We got to the hotel and saw a friend's car parked at the checkin spot. Nice to see friends at 1 in the morning! DH is eating DoubleTree cookies right now. I am not. I wasn’t even tempted by them. I knew I wasn’t going to eat them so I didn’t even have to think about it.

Weight down today. Sugars have been stable for a month. My (smaller) jeans are too big. I don’t know if the next size down will fit or not. I’m starting a pile of clothes that I put on to wear and took off because they were too big. I actually like my clothes so I’ll miss some of the newer stuff that is now too big—but it’ll be fun to shop in my stored clothes again!

Shakes are in the rooms fridge—and I’m ready for sleep!

—Beth
Old 04-06-2018, 03:34 AM   #33  
in development

You'll never believe this! Doing my corrective exercises dutifully and daily is starting to sort out my hip/knee/foot niggles! This workout is a combo of physio, trainer and my own exercises.

My aim today is to make a food plan for the day. It won't take long and it will help. It's only a small thing to do so surely I can manage that, don't you think?

So that's two things on the list. I'd better get going. Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day. Today is mild but I don't think there will be as much sunshine.

beth, I love this: "I knew I wasn’t going to eat them so I didn’t even have to think about it." The power of planning made manifest.

onebyone, so good that you sent in the submission. And OP is very good too!

nationalparker, credit for avoiding snacks on the mentors' table. And frittata sounds nice. I should make that soon.

maryann, have a lovely trip. All that food planning will pay off.

gardenerjoy, credit on not eating in the car. That will feel good!

Bill, what fun to spend time with such a hilarious and confident child! Thanks for sharing stories with us.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Sacagawea, American explorer, born (1786, Lemhi County, ID)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, and subway took me to the doctor's office - not my favorite place. I had to get help with a stuffed sinus that just won't go away. The difficult part was that my long time Personal Physician has retired. I was shuffled to a new hire. She did well; it's certainly a challenge being a young physician treating an old codger who misses his beloved doctor. Diagnosis: I may have allergies. For some reason, it's stuck in my mind that I'm not the type of person who has allergies. Accordingly, I've never tried to treat allergies. I worked with a guy who rotated through tens of different over-the-counter pills each season. "So glad that's not me," I always thought.

Dinner was the last of the Adzuki beans served with freshly chopped cilantro and yogurt. So I'm vegetarian for the day. The secret is that cilantro makes anything seem special. It's gotta be my favorite addition to food. Heroics of the day was driving to get the grill's propane tank filled - the flame was getting lower and lower. DW loves that she hasn't done any of our favorite greasy foods inside since we've set up the grill. Yay for whoever invented cooking over a fire.

onebyone – Kudos for making your commitment to the town - even with flaws. A day OP is always a good day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Such a great idea to think about looking forward to supper as a defense against treats.

silverbirch – Yay for corrective exercises making the body work better. A day with only two things on the list sounds like vacation, LOL.

maryann - Thanks for "Acceptance is the answer." Your trip planning sounds as thorough as a space odyssey.

nationalparker"Matchstick" baked sweet potato sound so good. One of the most insidious Sabotaging Thoughts is "feel like I couldn't give a mouse's heiney" - so well put. Please stop having snow - it then drifts over here to us and I'm done with winter.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Neat that you're using the room fridge for your meal plan. Kudos for avoiding motel cookies - mega calories that aren't needed.

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Changes at Home
Follow these suggestions for reducing food triggers in your kitchen: . . .

Here are some things you can do: . . .
  • Announce to your children the changes you intend to make. Don't ask for their permission. You, not they, should be in charge of what goes on in the kitchen.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 91.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #35  
Green Tomatoes

I'm working on a list of Responses. Skipping that step in my last attempt contributed to my downfall. I had a bunch of good habits going, but when life got in the way, I didn't have good responses for what to do when the habitual was broken.

I'm trying a different phrasing of responses. I've always stated them like rules, the way that Beck does. I'm going to try something more like mantras as I've seen some of you do. My first two:

I don't eat in the car.
I'm done eating for the day after supper.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #36  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Low

Coaches

I was feeling low this morning but two big things went much better than expected and my chore thing tonight was cancelled. I was supposed to gallery sit but because my painting was rejected I didn't have to participate. No one told me and I showed up but opted to leave. I'll take the time to relax at home.

Foodwise I don't know. Jeans super tight. I'm going to find my original foodplan that I was given at the clinic in January 2017 and follow it! Duh.

Have a good one Coaches!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

No surprise that my two days have several Oh Wells and several credits.That seems to be the way it goes. In a suite tonite and the plans was to eat a salad. Then I would come home and heat my NS entree. The salad bar looked terrific so I just went with that as a meal. I think that is a good choice. Tomorrow will be easy. All meals are accessible and planned. Even in the pouring rain, Santa Cruz is beautiful. DS realy like Santa Clara.. It is beautiful and smallish. DH and I both wondered if the students are too coddled.

Having trouble typing. I wonder if it is the video that keeps loading in the last post. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by maryann; 04-06-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #38  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Whew - workweek over. Now just working at home each day - a.m. and p.m. Always MUCH preferred over being in the office. DH wanted to go to our little pizza spot for dinner, which has undergone a reno and is no longer the quiet little hole in the wall. Food was good despite salad and pizza coming at the same time. He finds it funny that I find that OH SO aggravating. Then I sit back and think, I'm not on line for free food...it is what it is.

Credits: Sorely tempted by Donut Friday for some oddball reason, maybe because the guy who usually eats three wasn't there and so the box stayed nearly full for half the day (I checked twice)... decided a half donut would be a treat. Walked back with a knife and then caught myself WHAT!? No donut. No donut half. Ate more of my leftover soup for lunch. Good call financially and nutritionally.

Snowed here this evening. Enough to stick on cars, etc. I thought it was April. More snow predicted for Sunday evening. I'm so weary of dark skies. I need a hot bath and some mindless time to just "be". I'm already looking forward to a hot cup of tea in the morning, all alone. I typically am up a few hours before DH and I like the complete silence. I feel like I sound like a massive introvert. But this week has been one that has me desiring reset time.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:27 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - World Health Day (since 1950, UN World Health Organization)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Such glorious successes in the small corners of my life. The replacement Carbon Monoxide detector arrived and installed seamlessly. I had tried replacing the 9-volt battery in the old one, but it had continued to beep its unhappiness - I suspect that its built-in age detector had expired. Then I managed to send sixteen emails for a volunteer organization that had been waiting for my attention. That was one of those 'mountain' problems that became a 'molehill' problem once I set about actually doing it. And the supermarket had California strawberries again albeit at a premium price which, hopefully, went to the farmers suffering from the rains instead of the distributors taking advantage of the market pull. And I picked up a book from the library, The Human Animal: A Personal View of the Human Species by Desmond Morris, partially motivated because I had become aware that used copies were offered on Amazon for hundreds of dollars. Perhaps I'll discover why.

Eating was OK. I ignored a false hunger for some snacks, CREDIT moi, and succumbed to that same false hunger for others - Ouch! The old neurons suggest that snacking will help with emails that I'm avoiding. Dinner was salmon on the grill that worked better with fresh propane but still needs to have the burners soaked to open up the little holes filled with six years of dripping salmon and other fatty foods cooked on the grill expressly to avoid all that grease in the kitchen. It's rather nice to have such a First World problem on my mind.

onebyone – Yay for a chore being cancelled. Thought of you when it was locally advertised that the Big INK folks would be demonstrating "The Big Tuna" Giant Mobile Press. You'd be a natural running such an event.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – My brain still has the ability to think that the rules no longer apply "when life got in the way."

maryann - Terrific that Santa Clara looked good even in the pouring rain. Kudos for continuing to be conscious of your food plan. (Typing is working OK for me.)

nationalparker – Super Kudos for standing down Donut Friday even with a knife in your hand. We also had snow - in 47-degree Fahrenheit temperature. It only stuck on the roofs ('rooves', perhaps in Wales) of well insulated houses - and then only for a few minutes.

Readers -
Quote:

Changes at Home
Follow these suggestions for reducing food triggers in your kitchen: . . .

Here are some things you can do: . . .
  • If anyone resists the changes you want to make, say that you're open to other solutions. If you reach an impasse, consult your diet coach for additional ideas.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Nationalparker I know exactly what you mean about having the morning to myself because my DD just came in and ruined mine We are going off to visit a college tomorrow which will be a looong day. It will be good but i'm worried about walking a lot with my sore back, and us not killing each other on the drive. She is leaning on me a lot emotionally which I understand but I do wish she could talk to a counselor or something. Meanwhile DS is quietly feeling depressed too. Ugh.

I made an appt to see my new doc, or rather her new NP, which I need to do to even get to a PT, which will also take time to schedule. At least I made the start, I really need to work on my leg, back etc again.

Silverbirch its heartening to hear that doing the stretches does work!
Bill that Big Ink thing looks amazing. Are they based locally? its hard to tell on the website where they are based.
Credits for getting my salads in, and getting the taxes done. Now i have to do DDs.
I wish the weather would be sunny at least!!

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-07-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #41  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

I'm doing great foodwise, even with all of the food that's out. And some of it falls under the 'special category'. Homemade candies, homemade cheesecakes, homemade sloppy joes. I had one of my shakes. I think I was wise to decide that I wouldn't deviate at all this weekend--it is giving my resistance muscle a workout--but I've not fallen down into a slippery slope. I think permission for anything could so easily have turned into turning my brain off. I'll have to address that eventually, but not this weekend.

I even managed to help clear tables of stuff without too much stress. Some of the wrapped candies called to me, but I told them off.

We'll be heading home tomorrow afternoon--for tonight and tomorrow morning, I'm really enjoying seeing friends!
Old 04-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #42  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Gautama Buddha, founder of Buddhism, born (563 BC, Lumbini, Nepal)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, with a group looking for spring birds - despite the cold. Warblers aren't here yet, but we were rewarded with a pair of Golden-crowned Kinglets which are around only for a short period of time. DW and I saw the movie, Black Panther, partially out of the fear that we'd feel totally out of it for the rest of our lives if we didn't know what vibranium was or where Wakanda was located. We now know. It was a cultural phenomenon in a constant blow-up superhero plot. The ending is much more positive than the standard Superman plot of my childhood. My take is that you have to see it to understand the references for the next few decades.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. It's easier to keep snacks under control when busy. There were many GIANT containers of popcorn at the movies as well as GIANT drinks and GIANT packages of candy. The pricing for GIANT is a bargain compared to the two smaller sizes; without wanting any I was already considering that I'd buy the GIANT versions because they were a better 'bargain'. The mind is so easily duped, LOL.

curlyjax - Happy College Hunting day - hope your DD finds a place that fits. Kudos, indeed, for completing your taxes. [I didn't figure out where Big INK was based; I agree, their website didn't make that clear.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Super Kudos for standing down all the homemade treats in a festive atmosphere. Hope your final day remains such a positive experience.

Readers -
Quote:

Changes at Home

Do creative problem solving. The dieters I've worked with have come up with a number of strategies to reduce environmental triggers.

When Cindy started her diet, she made the following rule: No candy in the house. Once a week, however, she would take her kids to the store, and they could choose one serving of whatever candy they wanted as a treat.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Wish I did as well as Beth this weekend. I did deviate a bit. The scale shows 3!!!! pounds higher now that I have returned. That number I know includes extra salt and extra walking around both campuses. But it is easy to understand why nationalparker was so discouraged last week. Still I made some great choices and I am below where I started two weeks ago ( barely) despite starting the new meds. I did the corrective physio ( borrowing Silverbirch's words ) and my neck does feel better.
I worry that I have another round of socials in S.F. next weekend. I feel I need to stay home to get into a routine but i wouldn't have missed seeing my BFF and seeing the colleges with the boys.

So, for today I have a plan. I will walk the track while my boy does his 400s. Church. Schoolwork.
I will continue to take the meds and practice meditation.
I will make sure I have all the fruits and veggies I need for myself and my boys.

BBE: UC Santa Cruz is a spectacularly beautiful campus. It is on a mountain side with Redwoods in between all the building. Fabulous. Harvey Mudd stands still in first place but Santa Cruz is a nice back up. We have UC San Diego, Santa Barbara and Berkeley on the west coast left. Then to Boston for Boston University, Boston College and Tufts. Finally a trip to Fordham, NYU and Columbia. Mostly we are using the trips as a great excuse to travel as a family.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #44  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't manage to post yesterday, but I did manage to refrain from eating in the car or eating after supper -- even though I wanted to do both. Writing down mantras worked! So, adding another: I check in with my coaches every day.

ETA: maryann that posted slowly because the video was still loading. I'm not surprised you're experiencing difficulties typing.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-08-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #45  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! A busy weekend with wrapping up the taxes, catching two movies (!) for a nice treat from the near steady work of the past two weeks, and just general busyness, along with some wonderful down time just reading in peace and quiet. DH has a book he's into as well, so it's very pleasant. Meals were on plan and smart. Feels steady. Good to have lunches ready to go and dinner in the plans as well for tomorrow. I need to set my alarm a bit early - they were calling for snow but even if it's just rain, it slows me down in the morning, walking the dog in the rain and then wiping her off, etc. I got my office work done tonight, ready to wrap it up. I feel hopeful for this week. Caught up with my brother for a while - his radiation and low dose chemo starts this week. The dr. told him they refer to him as the Miracle Man. He said when they looked at the diagnosis date and that he's still alive, they're amazed. I think that hit him weird but in a good weird way.
I'm struggling to make time for personals.
Closed Thread