Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #136  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Library of Congress established with $5,000 (1800, Washington, D.C.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was a long day since I had classes in the morning and afternoon and still had to prepare stuff for an evening event - stuff that I'd had a week to prepare yet waited until late afternoon to begin. Procrastination reminds me of college days that were spent perpetually running to catch up. When I become czar I'll simply ban procrastination so that nobody can do it anymore. Problem solved!!! Hopefully, I won't consider myself above the law, LOL.

Food was OK, CREDIT moi. Snacking is limited when I'm busy, although the thought of snacking to alleviate the pain of not getting stuff done still fills my head. Passed a FREE box on the curb; I pulled out a very small pink purse with pink bows. "The DGD would love this," I offered. DW snarked, "We're not trying to sell that." Purse stayed in the box for some grandparents who were trying to sell "that."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Glad you're still with us. Do admire your two salads goal.

silverbirch – Kudos for using the laundry to get exercise.

maryann - Likewise, glad you're still with us after eating Romaine - but California Romaine is above suspicion. Neat positive feedback from one of your kids.

nationalparker – Have to admire the optimism, "we're done with snow and onto spring" - may mother nature follow it. Two office moves is way over the top inconvenient.

curlyjax - Kudos for making yourself a new card.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Ouch for the pain of an "undecided/thinking about it phase" - may you figure out your path forward.

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

what are you thinking?
If you have reservations about doing today's task, you're probably having sabotaging thoughts. Making environmental changes is important. Get out your index cards and prepare your responses. The following sample responses might be helpful. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I shouldn't inconvenience other people.

Helpful Response: Whom will I inconvenience the most? How inconvenient will these environmental changes really be compared to how much benefit I'll get? And other people will likely benefit from the changes I make.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 94.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #137  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default coaches

Coaches

Hello. Checking in and reporting in this morning. My weight has not gone down but it hasn't gone up and I'm not eating worse but not eating better, ergo weight not down but *fortunate* it ain't up!
I don;t know if there are any credits in there or not...? I suppose monitoring the situation without doing anything about it is worthy of .25 credits.

Checking in though is a full credit. +1.25 then so far for the day.

I have had another round of deadlines to meet and have managed to meet one fully and completely and another one about 75% but I can go past the deadline today and complete it all or not. It's up to me. I am exhausted so I may sideline some if it for later. I have permission to do it another day if I want. I'll see when I get to the potters' guild what I am up for doing.

I have not re-set my foodplan yet. I am away this weekend for a wood firing in a Famous Canadian Potter's wood firing kiln with 10 of my fellow guild members. Here he mentions us (!) in his fabulous blog which is a very good read. http://smokieclennell.blogspot.ca/20...-you.html#more I will be on the 12am to 6am wood firing kiln shift with my good friend Kathy. We are to stoke the kiln every 5 minutes for 6 hrs with a piece of wood. Tomorrow I am taking a day off before I get worked up for that this weekend!

Bye for now.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #138  
Green Tomatoes

Like onebyone, I feel like I'm in a monitoring phase rather than a "do something about it" phase. But monitoring means not gaining weight and, sometimes, that's a victory in itself. I've got a stressful responsibility on Thursday night that I can't really do anything to prepare for. At this point, not eating over it seems like enough of a challenge.

I met my goal of two salads yesterday. Today, I'm aiming for three. I'll have to engage in the perilous activity of shopping for lettuce again today.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:10 AM   #139  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Today was OP--weighed, checked sugar, recorded everything, ate on plan. Where I'm having trouble right now (besides the exercise I'm not doing) is the water. Now that my sugar is down I'm not that thirsty and I have to keep forcing myself to drink. I've got to work on that--drinking by the clock even if I'm not thirsty.

On the plus side, I had a sip of DH's Diet Coke by mistake tonight (identical Reduce cups)--and I just didn't like. If I can give up Diet Coke, perhaps I can make permanent food changes.

We worked in the garage tonight--the BMW (Basic Mobile Workbench) is complete (except for the shelf I made a mistake in measuring, so miscut, and don't have enough plywood to cut a new shelf)

Beth's BMW

joy: Credit for not eating over stress--that's a pretty big deal.

onebyone: +1 credit for realizing you deserved credit. I hope your overnight shift at the kiln goes great.

BillBlueEyes: When you outlaw procrastination, how long will it take before you figure out how to enforce that? :-)

maryann: Ouch for racing thoughts that make it hard to sleep. At least you got the work done (perhaps the anti-procrastination law was in effect)

nationalparker: Preparing food in advance is always worthy of credit--especially when it turns out to make it possible to stay OP.

curlyjax: I'm glad to hear you got a good night's sleep.

--Beth
Old 04-25-2018, 04:34 AM   #140  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning, all. I don't seem to have much to say at present. Still reading.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #141  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Hubble Space Telescope deployed from the space shuttle Discovery (1990)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – An evening event had a cheese table alongside its book signing. Alas, I indulged even though I knew that we had Whole Foods Clam Chowder waiting at home. Usually when I hit a table of appetizers, I declare that to be dinner. Last night both happened - unusual for me. Have to better work out with DW when dinner is going to be skipped and when its not.

It was a lovely spring day - the very weather we've been longing for. Mother Nature will balance that today with a full day of rain. Oh, well.

onebyone – Both Kudos worthy, "it hasn't gone up and I'm not eating worse." 12 am to 6 am is a tough shift.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "perilous activity of shopping for lettuce" - makes it sound like there's been a revenge of the carnivores.

silverbirch – Waving back. I'm embarrassed to have to tell you that all U.S. media is filled with the birth of one little boy, and what his mother was wearing shortly thereafter.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Love your BMW - looks indestructible. Might I suggest that you attach a logo. Great news that you weren't drawn to the Diet Coke.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
If you have reservations about doing today's task, you're probably having sabotaging thoughts. Making environmental changes is important. Get out your index cards and prepare your responses. The following sample responses might be helpful. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: If I tell my family or coworkers about my diet, they'll make comments about what I eat.

Helpful Response: I can ask them not to say anything: "It would help if you didn't comment on what I eat or didn't eat - can you do that for me?"

Old 04-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning,
Two days in a row up at 2 a.m. It is frustrating to seemingly be doing things correctly and yet the outcome sucks. I have been perfect on Nutrisystem and haven't lost a pound in a week. I can't sleep. Super grumpy. For today, the only things I can control are my behaviors. I believe in the path I have chosen. This is just a temporary rough spot.

There is no situation that a compulsive bite can't make worse.

Beth: I continue to love your checkins to know that a strict regime can work.
silverbirch: thanks for the check in.
BBE: Enjoy the day. I did. It was a soft breeze and the sun kind to us. Every other Tuesday the teachers eat on the lawn together. It was a nice day for it.

I have a long day ahead. Actually, I have a long four days ahead. I am presenting at my old middle school. We are trying to articulate the curriculum so students are better prepared.

Then I take a long drive to meet with AA sponsor. Tomorrow Mom comes with me to counselor. I thought she would get some comfort about my diagnosis and we could make some inroads into our communication issues. Saturday and Sunday I attempt with SIL two LONG hikes.

Well, it is one step at a time. Students are being terrific, funny and willing to work. Can't take that for granted.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #143  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I have an exciting day here waiting for the furnace guy to come do an annual inspection. At least I hope they're coming,they didn't call to confirm which worries me a bit.
Also they are supposedly flushing hydrants today, which means i have been zipping around cutting up veggies early since the water will run brown for a bit after. It helps me remember how lucky we are to have running, clean water all the time.
So its a forced day at home, getting things done, which is actually a good thing.

Monday i went to water aerobics, wearing my swimsuit to the class as usual. When it came time to change afterwards, i realized i for got all my undergarments! And i was supposed to stop at the grocery store on the way home. I am trying to do new things and take chances, but decided i was not ready to go totally commando in public, and did not go to the store. tonight i will remember for sure!!

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-25-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #144  
Green Tomatoes

I've been playing with an art journal for the last couple of days and finding several benefits:
  • It's unexpectedly calming.
  • It serves as a mini-vacation from my life (something that binge episodes used to do for me).
  • It's helping me be more productive during the day so that the 5pm-6pm hour is cleared for the purpose of art journaling.
  • It has cool supplies -- buying them feels like a kind of compensation for the sucky things of life (another thing that binge episodes did for me).

We'll see if it lasts, but for now, I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting.

bethturnaround: I gave up Diet Coke several years ago and it tastes awful now. Every once in a while, I get a craving for what I think Diet Coke tastes like, but the reality is that it's horrible. Tea works much better for me.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #145  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Two super busy days and remaining on program. I was ravenous by the time I got home after 9 and quickly prepped my dinner. With this plan, being hungry isn't any pat on the back ... she talks about how to keep your metabolism firing you keep it fueled like a fire. I brought my snack but ate it at 4 and still had a long time. I should have brought more. Oh well, all set now. Over a big work hurdle today, so that's a relief. Credit for staying on plan despite the high stress day.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #146  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

I was so disappointed by the scale at my officially weekly weigh-in. It said I was only down 0.9 lbs this week and was at 200.1. That's really frustrating because my home scale said 195.6 this morning--and there's usually only 3.5-4 lbs difference between my morning at home weight and my afternoon clothed weigh-in.--and I wanted my official weigh-in to be under 200. My doctor was funny, though--he offered to leave the room so I could strip and weigh myself without clothes so I'd be under.

Oh, well. Double oh, well. I'm making progress and doing well.

Doctor also asked me if it was time to transition to one meal per day--and I said 'no'. I'm going to stay on this another 2 months. I will be traveling over the 4th of July week and the following week I'll transition to one meal a day. It's supposed to be one meal and four products per day. But it's way in the future and I don't have to worry about that yet!

nationalparker: Double credit--for staying on plan and for recognizing you deserved credit for that--and figuring out what to do differently next time.

joy: I don't drink tea or coffee, so it's been just water for me. I might try some sugar free lemonade at some point, but I've been doing just fine with all water. Your art journaling sounds very relaxing.

curlyjax: Your swim suit/decision not to go commando was really funny!

maryann: Lots going on--I hope your time with your mom is productive.

BillBlueEyes: Cheese table sounds wonderful--but so does the soup--earlier decisions and planning do help though, don't they?

silverbirch:

--Beth
Old 04-26-2018, 04:51 AM   #147  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Naturalist and artist John James Audubon born (1785, Haiti)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chase the (2.5 yo) DGD day. Got to watch the reality of how kids learn. She was watching a 4 yo boy with great interest as he climbed the same plastic structure. She went down the slide and landed on her bum on the cushions - as she always does. He went down and landed on his feet. The next time, and all times thereafter, she landed on her feet. My new theory is that adults don't teach kids anything; they just learn from each other. It rained all day. The DGD took a walk around the block to splash in every puddle. Puddles and kids are made for each other.

Eating was good enough. Dinner was a meat lasagna made in a local store. It was good - good enough that we'll probably have it again. It's not exactly low calorie, but I'd guess that the cheaper, less tasty ones are even more caloric.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Your art journaling sounds like a cool idea.

maryann - Kudos for recognizing, "This is just a temporary rough spot."

nationalparker – Getting home after 9 is a looooong day. Congrats for making it over your big work hurdle.

curlyjax - Waiting for a repair person is just the worst. Kudos for keeping up with your water aerobics.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Congrats for choosing to stick to your plan despite the short-term disappointment that the pounds fall off at their own pace.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?

Sabotaging Thought: I shouldn't put my needs above the needs of my family.

Helpful Response: I'm entitled to work toward a goal that's important to me. It's time for me to practice meeting my needs. Besides, my family doesn't need junk food. They'd be better off if they didn't eat it either.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #148  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Like nationalparker, yesterday was a marathon - from 2 a.m. to 9:30 pm. In between I work with large groups of people, small groups of people and my son. I also stayed on plan by eating dinner before a restaurant meet up and then enjoy hot water and conversation. A simple "I'm on meds that require a special diet." satisfied everyone in thirty seconds. This proves that most people just don't think about me that much.

Mom's bday gives me ANOTHER dinner out tonite. I think a house salad and the veggie of the day will work. I'll have the protein shake in a container on the way.

Beth: I have been feeling the EXACT same thing. I "deserved " to break a milestone. Beck talks about at any given time, weight is supposed to be exactly what it is because of body, environmental and behavior practices. Yeah. yeah. I wanted that lower number.

Again, i remind myself it is none of my business what the scale says. My actions are my business.

(I'll tell that to myself again when I take the batteries out of the scale, put them back in, and see if the number is lower.)

BBE: You just gave a pretty good argument against homeschooling.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #149  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

It's been one heckuva week. Woke up in the middle of the night to hear our dog walking around (highly unusual) ... and not stopping room to room to room and with our flooring now you can hear her nails clicking along. I got up and tried to get her to settle - she wasn't. I took her outside in case she had to go, she did, and then still didn't settle down. I got worried and she seemed in pain. Got into the vet early appt and they knew she was in severe pain, muzzled her and determined it was a slipped disc but who knows from what. Then get a text that the cousin I'm so close to when into hospital overnight with brain bleed. Her sister kept me informed which was very kind as I don't catch up with her sister but maybe every 10 years. Worrying about her but signs are positive so far. Otherwise I'd be there.

Stayed on plan and dinner was turkey burgers (DH made his beef ones on the grill), cabbage for me and I made him some cole slaw. Chugging along 100% on plan. I'm hopeful that I can drop a few pounds before my event. I won't fit into anything else, but ... at least it's a bit of forward progress. Proud that I'm staying the course on this still and so far, no mind games with the scale. I think because so much of the metabolic process is explained, it's amazing how it works to begin with. I've totally veered from the calories in/calories out thinking when presented with this information. Challenge on my trip will be following the various phases. Last time I brought raw almond butter and the ezekiel bread for some of my meals. I will bring the bread because I don't know that I'll find it there, but will cross my fingers on the raw almond butter. I will have a brief run next week with a three-day trip. The specifics of lean meat and certain veggies for two of those days has me concerned. I think I've already worried on that on here.

Bill - TOO funny on your DGD watching and executing. That's wonderful.

Maryann - I agree - it's funny to realize that after a quick inquiry, our eating plans are of no concern to others, as it should be.

Beth -That sought-after number will come and pass and then you'll be seeking the 189s...179s... you'll be there.

GardenerJoy - Enjoy that journaling - sounds like it's bringing forward your artist! I like projects like that when I have time. Looking forward to diving in this summer.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:55 AM   #150  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

Tonight was happy hour after our monthly team meeting. I had a bar and a lot of water :-) and then another bar on the train on the way home. I did much better with my water today. On the other hand, I was almost undone by a piece of thin crust sausage pizza. I took some deep breaths and moved on. Credit for withstanding!

My weight is going down on my scale--just not the same way on the office scale! I do know I'm losing--I'm going to update my ticker.

billBlueEyes: Your DGD sounds like a joy!

--Beth
Closed Thread