Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #91  

Default Bit of a pity party over here!!!

I’m having a bit of a pity party over here. I guess I should say up here since I live in Alaska. I have a very busy work schedule as a pediatrician. I finally got a vacation for our DS’s spring break. I had grand plans to play and have fun. Poor guy and I have been bed-ridden sick for the past 5 days with the stomach flu that’s gong around. Nothing is going as planned!!! Tomorrow is my birthday. Had big plans for that, but feel like we’ll still be sick. I’m disappointed!!!

I’m trying to have an attitude of gratitude!

I’m grateful that I’ve lost 5 lbs in the past week!!! It’s undoubtedly because I’ve been sick, but I gained 10lbs in 1/18. I’ve never gained that much at once in my life. One of my partners at work has been sick to the point of not working for the past three months. Despite being 1/2 time, my bosses were pressuring me to cover for her. I felt like I couldn’t say no. Finally I appealed farther up in our hospital system and got them to guarantee my 1/2 time schedule. As a doctor I’ve had a lot of stress in my life but these last three months have been, by far, the most stressful. So, my long awaited vacation spent being sick, has been especially sad. When I return on Monday, I will only be asked to work per my 1/2 time contract. Yay!!! I look forward to having a more sane schedule!!!

Last edited by orange123; 03-17-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:08 AM   #92  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

DH and I spent the day doing garage stuff--cleaned it out a bit and then started building a cabinet for my miter saw. Then, when it was clear that all 5 of the batteries for the 13 year old drill wouldn't charge properly, we also made a trip to Home Depot and bought a new drill/driver and a new impact driver (we didn't have an impact driver). I'm looking forward to playing with our new tools tomorrow!

DH wanted to stop for ice cream on the way home from the store--he was having a sugar crash. It was easier on me than I thought it would be. I've got to get used to people eating sweets around me--sweets I would like--but am totally out of the habit of eating--and need to stay out of the habit of eating. That ice cream has nothing to do with me.

The meal replacement plan is really breaking habits for me. I knew I'd lose weight on it--I didn't realize the extent of the behavioral changes.

orange123: I didn't realize you were in Alaska :-). I'm so sorry your spring break has been upset by illness--and what a horrible way to spend your birthday. Perhaps you and DS could plan some weekend adventures when you're both feeling better. Not the same as a week, though.

maryann: It is hard (and different) as they grow up. Sounds like you had good plans for today's events!

curlyjax: Sometimes not curling up into a ball is a big success in and of itself.

silverbirch: Credit for your full body workout--what does that consist of?

--Beth
Old 03-18-2018, 04:44 AM   #93  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

The snow is back, now driving in horizontally. This is such unusual weather for us at this time of year. I mended the roof of the wood shelter which was being ripped by the wind. So good to have an electric drill, don't you agree, Beth? Then I noticed that one of the battens holding the shed roof on is rotten. Could not replace it in the wind so am just hoping that it holds.

Food was quite good yesterday. I'm eating slightly more vegetables than usual which means I feel full all the time. I think that's making it easier to say 'no thanks' when I start thinking about a snack. It's interesting as I've eaten five mini-meals a day for ages to keep the metabolism revved after lifting. This is a different approach.

Beth, full body workout involves warm up, breathing exercises, bear crawl, bridge, squats, reverse lunges, clam shell, step-ups, dumbbell row, 'no money' and 'dead bug'. Probably a few other bits and pieces too.

orange, sorry you're feeling sorry for yourself. These winter bugs are good at that. What a shame about the vacation time. Hope you start to feel better soon.

maryann, good work on planning the day. Yes, 'support team' just about sums it up. I find that time in the car can be good for discussing things.

curlyjax, much credit for getting out of bed and functioning! When things are a mess and I am exhausted or overwhelmed, I sometimes set the timer for 10 mins and focus on clearing one area. Then I read a chapter of my book. This system allows me to be somewhere else in my mind (the story) when I'm clearing up, so I don't get dragged down.

Have re-read my post of yesterday. Interesting how I sound like I'm doing all right. Credit!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Better day yesterday mentally. I got a little exercise in dancing around the kitchen which was fun and something i haven't done in a long time. I was hungry a lot even though i kept eating bits of protein, maybe it wasn't enough. I am panicking a little about finding all the tax stuff, i'm not sure if some things are being sent through email and I am not sure of DH's password for one account. I guess I could ask for an extension if needed but will check with accountant.
Maryann-i'm grateful for not being the play person anymore I find the support piece is a lot, especially with DD.
Silverbirch-sounds like very unusual weather for you guys indeed! Impressed by your efforts with the drill.
Beth-great job on the ice cream! you are really getting into the behavior piece of it. i need to follow your lead!
orange123- work stress is always so hard. hope you'll be feeling better soon!

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-18-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Weight at ticker. Credit for long walk yesterday. Walk and weight planned at gym today. Credit for only eating half of the See's candy "Irish Potato ." It is divinity fudge with cocoa on it. See's is definitely my achilles heel. But the potato just wasn't great and just wasn't worth it. I threw half of it away.

Inspired by those of you choosing a more formal eating plan, I bought a month's worth of Nutrisystem food yesterday. I have all the hesitations that nationalparker felt about W.W. N.S. is not a perfect plan, it does not necessarily reflect real life and i have concerns of how healthy the food is. But I have spent two years trying to get back to goal and my best thinking is getting me nowhere. Plus, with the medication situation, I feel some more decisive action is required. I have changed so much in my life this last three years, why not change my food plan as well. The clinching factor was the program now has frozen food which doesn't have the preservatives of the old program. Plus I add fresh fruits and veggies accordingly. With coupons I received a pretty good deal.

The two major learning outcomes for me will be portion controls and breaking the behavioral habits that Beth talks about. The food will arrive in a week and off I go on a new journey.

silverbirch: I love exercising at home and I love the way my body feels after a good stretch.
Orange123: Super bummer about being sick. But maybe you got more rest than you would have with other plans. Now with your new part time schedule you can get back to some of the fun times well rested.
curleyjax: credit for continuing to walk day by day through this tough time.

Last edited by maryann; 03-18-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #96  

Exercised on treadmill! Good job!!! Fixed and savored healthy breakfast! Awesome work!!!

Happy Birthday to me!!! Grateful for my health, family and friends!

bethturnaround - I love it here! Yesterday it was sunny, clear and in the lower 50s.

silverbirch - Good job on fiber intake! Thanks for well wishes!

curlyjax - Good luck with taxes! Always fun!!!

MaryAnn - Long walk sounds nice!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:16 AM   #97  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

Today was a great day--I even managed to get all 5 of my products in, which is sometimes tough on weekends, since I often sleep late :-)

DH and I made our miter saw stand this weekend! I'm super excited about how well it came out. It needs another shelf, but that's relatively straightforward. We didn't have enough plywood to do it today. It also needs fences on the wings, but we'll get to that later--maybe next weekend. It's very satisfying to have something completed!

I haven't been getting in any extra exercise--but working all day in the garage ought to count for something (plus a trip to the hardware store)

orange123: Credit for the treadmill!

maryann: Credit for trying something new. I don't think there's a perfect plan out there--but I hope NS turns out to be perfect for you!

curlyjax: Credit for dancing. And credit for facing the taxes, which are just so horrible.

silverbirch: I love our new drill. Just love it. It is more powerful than our old one, lighter, smaller, and has a light. I also love our new impact driver, which is also, light, small, and has an even better light. Credit for mending! Making things better is so satisfying.

--Beth
Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 AM   #98  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Bob Dylan's self-titled debut album released (1962, Columbia Records)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was a good weekend. I was designated leader of a hike through some backwoods of Maine since I 'knew the place' (i.e. had been there before). The woods were filled with snow. I chose a route on backroads, CREDIT moi - a good hike. It was the first time I'd used Google Maps for walking. That means that instead of discovering that the road ended at a lake and that we had to retrace our steps, I knew that in advance. A bit of the mystery was denied. Oh, Well. We did get to watch some guys making firewood using a 22-ton hydraulic log-splitter from the trees they'd just felled. Not so romantic, but a joy to watch.

Eating was only OK. Lots of food was always present and visible. I did restrain myself at meals, CREDIT moi. We were in a part of the world where a container marked 'Syrup' meant 'Genuine, made here, Maple Syrup.' We could see the blue containers and plastic piping where the sap was flowing in the woods. The old-fashioned way of boiling the sap for hours to make syrup has been replaced by a reverse osmosis machine. It's not as romantic, but much more efficient. The sky was dark enough that we say Mercury just to the right of Venus in the evening sky.

silverbirch – Ouch for horizontal snow. I thought you lived in a mild weather spot on the earth. Just noticed that I've known what battens were my whole life just as I've known the phrase 'batten down the hatches' but hadn't connected the two battens as being the same thing until I read your post. Yay for the brain's ability to keep the same idea in two places as if different.

maryann - Super Kudos for stopping at half a piece of See's Candy. Please, please, please don't let See's expand to the East Coast.

curlyjax - LOL at the thought of dancing around the kitchen for exercise. I was panicked about a 1099 form that I hadn't received but found it amazingly easy to get a duplicate emailed to me.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Neat picture of your miter saw. I'm impressed by the lack of clutter.

orange123 - Happy Birthday!! Kudos for feeling gratitude in your life.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

what are you thinking?
Are you having sabotaging thoughts about lining up a diet coach? Check to see if any of these thoughts are familiar and use the helpful responses as guides to creating Response Cards for yourself. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I should be able to do this by myself.
Helpful Response: If I could do it by myself, I'd have already lost weight and kept it off. I need to face the fact that I need help - just as many other people do.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 88.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #99  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I've been MIA but have been tracking everything, so while it was more food than I needed, it's all on plan and in the WW app. Not the best weekend around our home, a rare tiff between DH and me ... resolved before too long, but I was miffed for a while. Got out on the trail and also got on the bike, not long enough but it had to be "enough" for the time available. ROUGH Monday at work after a staccato night of sleep - terrible brief dreams had me waking up so often, along with one interlude with the coyotes in our side yard - so loud. I sound negative here but just wiped out and need to destress.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:20 AM   #100  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

The wind has dropped, the snow is melting and the car passed the MoT. All reasons to feel a little upbeat.

Food was not too bad yesterday. Exercise was beating up a road from the MoT place on the shore to a university building for a cup of coffee, and then being blown back down again. I had to hold on to my hat. And the chairs in the building were very cold!

Into spring now, technically. Have I told you that there are lambs all around us? That's always nice to see. Also to hear them bleating in the night.

nationalparker, sometimes you just have to do whatever fits into the time available. Credit!

Bill, your Maine weekend sounds lovely and credit for restraining yourself from eating too much. I always find Mercury and Venus quite calming and reassuring.

beth, congrats on the mitre saw stand! Looking good.

orange123, exercise and a healthy breakfast are excellent, as you know! Good foundations.

maryann, throwing that 'potato' away was a very strong thing to do. 'Just wasn't worth it' is a phrase worth remembering. Thanks.

curlyjax, nice pic of you dancing round the kitchen. I should copy you. Long, long ago my exercise was dance routines and it was fun!

Hello to all lurkers. Have a good day.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:20 AM   #101  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Spring Vernal Equinox (since 4.5 BY B.C.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies –Welcome Spring!!! Snow is predicted from a Nor'easter tomorrow - perhaps 4-6 inches. Perhaps 0-24 inches. Perhaps none. Cancellations are beginning to roll in. We are the ones to decide whether to postpone our book club Wednesday evening. I hate that job. For some reason, otherwise polite folks feel free to loudly criticize such decisions when they are proven to be unwarranted.

We saw Mercury from our own roof last night. We had to use binoculars and hunt around a bit in the light pollution unlike Maine where it was easily visible with the naked eye. That just sends chills down my spine. I don't know why since Venus is often visible. It's not like I've never seen a planet before. Eating was OK; dinner was whittling down a rotisserie chicken that DW bought to avoid cooking. So I've had my allotment of salt for the week.

silverbirch – Bleating lambs is not a sound we hear around here. Congrats to your car for passing the MoT. Happiness comes in small steps.

nationalparker – Yay for using a walk on the trail to calm the nerves. It's so amazing that you have coyotes in your side yard.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

what are you thinking?
Are you having sabotaging thoughts about lining up a diet coach? Check to see if any of these thoughts are familiar and use the helpful responses as guides to creating Response Cards for yourself. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I strayed from my diet plan, and I think I gained weight. I don't want to call and tell my diet coach.
Helpful Response: This is the time I need my diet coach most. In a few minutes, I'll probably be glad I called. My diet coach won't criticize me or think poorly of me. If I call, I'll get the practical help and support I need. The reasons to lose weight that I wrote on my Advantages Response Card are still important to me, so I should go ahead and call now.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 88.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Credit for going to water aerobics last night. It was much colder out so we all cheerfully complained. I forget how much I love floating in water, and how differently you can move your body in it.
I took a day off today because I have to see a lawyer to get probate started, and I still have to gather documents, a bit last minute. Credits for continuing to plod on with this type of stuff. Some day soon i will get back to planning my food better too.
Bill- I can't believe we are going to have another storm!! Always a tough call to make the cancel or not decision.
Silverbirch- lucky you with lambs frolicking!
Beth- awesome job with the miter saw stand. My DH did some woodworking and would have been quite interestsed.
Orange123- glad you're feeling better.
Maryann- keep us posted with the nutrisystem. I'm about where you are and need to do something different.
Nationalparker- poor night sleep is never any good. we have coyotes howling here too, it freaks me out a bit. And a black bear has been spotted prowling the edges of town. Kind of exciting as long as it keeps its distance from people.

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-20-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in. Mid terms plus drama queen students are making it a little rough at school. I hope the new food comes soon. I am two pounds above ticker but worked out yesterday. For today I will not eat as if it is the last hurrah. I will treat my body with respect and keep it healthy,
Old 03-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #104  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I owe so many personals on here - I'm not being any sort of support and I apologize. Another busy day. A coworker is out on vacation this week and I've taken over his tasks as well and I'm buried but the basics have been covered. No time to get away home at lunch for a mini break, but took 20 minutes after working through lunch to walk around the building and a ton of steps in the auditorium. It is like maze walking to me ... lets me think as I walk up each row and down the next. Whatever works. Got home late and walked the dog in freezing weather with side-blowing snow that didn't last. Started on chicken burrito bowls and that's one meal in our house that uses up so many dishes/pans. Seasoned chicken sauteed, seasoned black beans, cilantro lime rice, pico, chopped lettuce and guac. It seems like it takes forever to get it all together and then bam - dinner is over quickly Everything except the rice, guac and a few tortilla chips were 0 points on ww. I know it was more than 0 calories but still good to know it was on plan.

Happy spring. And fingers crossed we actually GET it before long.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #105  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

My post last night didn't post :-(. I'll be sure to check more carefully night.

As of this morning, I am down 35 lbs (I'll update my ticker this evening). According to my program, I'm down 27. That makes sense--I started dieting 10 days before starting the program so I got a big whoosh, and I weigh myself first thing in the morning. My program weight is at 5:30 with clothes on--it's always about 4 lbs higher than my morning weight.

I'm really falling down on exercise although I'm still doing well with my food. I've got something going on every evening this week--I just seem to "not get to" the exercise piece. I know I have to make time for it--it won't just magically appear. So I guess that's my challenge right now.

I had my weight management class tonight. The topic was carb detectives. This program focuses on low carb food plans--both for weight loss and weight maintenance. Even while acknowledging it's not the right program for everyone, they point out it is the right program for many insulin resistant people--and that fits many people who are dealing with obesity.

nationalparker: I'm glad weight watchers is giving you structure. Hope it calms down and warms up for you.

maryann: Did you get your delivery? Credit for the work out!

curlyjax: Big credit for water aerobics. And big credit for dealing with the hard stuff you need to do right now.

BillBlueEyes: My son is in NJ and he tells me they're just going to close the state for a day due to the weather. I don't think he was joking. I hope you don't get slammed too badly. I'm envious of the planet gazing. I think I'm going to try and make that happen for us this year.

silverbirch: Lambs are wonderful--little baby animals just bring out the gooey in me. Credit for a tough walk in the wind!

--Beth
Closed Thread