3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/315148-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-march-2018-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

silverbirch 03-06-2018 02:03 AM

I managed a full body workout yesterday but ate too much. Something has gone wrong with my mornings and I think it's because I've cut down on muesli from two spoonfuls to one (plus wheatgerm, yoghurt, milk, berries). This is something that does happen and I thought I would remember it. Obviously I haven't. So I could increase the muesli and see if this carries me through to lunch. The alternative is to find a good mid-morning snack. My Precision Nutrition lessons are all about protein at present so perhaps I could work out a good protein and carb snack. I always used to eat apple and cottage cheese after workouts. Could try that again.

curlyjax, I'm so glad that your memorial service for DH went well. One day at a time.

On with the day here. It promises too much driving around and too many errands. How things start to grow up around the ankles if you don't keep cutting them down! Hope your day goes well.

BillBlueEyes 03-06-2018 06:33 AM

Tuesday - Bayer patents aspirin (1899, Germany)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I was so happy to discover that most of the students in my class also did not like reading Norman Mailer. I had thought that, perhaps, I just wasn't smart enough to 'get' his writing. We finished discussing James Baldwin's novel, Giovanni's Room; I learned that however thoroughly I read something, others find stuff that I missed. Yah for human conversation.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. After dinner snack was a whole California Navel Orange - rather than half - for a long, complicated, uninteresting reason. I didn't have to shovel yesterday's light dusting of snow. Snow should always take care of itself, LOL.

silverbirch – It's that small volume that makes muesli not a good fit for me. LOL at "How things start to grow up around the ankles if you don't keep cutting them down!"

maryann - Yay for students to lift the spirits - despite the hard efforts required to get there.

nationalparker – Eating wisely at Panera is Kudos worthy.

curlyjax - Congratulations for arranging the service for your DH even through your own grief. And BIG Congrats to your kids for standing in the receiving line.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Adding Guadalajara cathedral to my bucket list. Double zucchini is a powerful way to customize your meal.

Mary (mam1958) - "10,700 steps" is always good.

Readers -
Quote:

day 6 Find a Diet Coach

How to Find a Diet Coach
You want a diet coach who helps you
identify and counter your unhelpful thinking

gives practical advice, is highly encouraging
and motivating, and is willing to help
you implement this program.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 86.

maryann 03-06-2018 10:21 AM

Quick check in. Scale high. I can rage at the unfairness or simply remember Beck's "at any minute " the scale is exactly where it should be" meaning to me I have the control of changing what goes in my mouth and that is it. Plus exercise. I will forget the numbers, eat with sanity and take a walk. All will be well.

mam1958 03-06-2018 04:13 PM

Hey everyone,

Eating good 10,000 steps today. When cleaning the showers I really scrubbed hard to give it more to burn more calories.

Today was beautiful 50 degrees. The calm before the storm. Big storm coming this way. They are saying 10 to 18 inches here. At least I will get a workout in shoveling the sidewalks and stairs home and at work.

billblueeyes how much they saying you are getting? At least you didn't have to shovel the last time.

bethturnaround doubling up on the zucchini will file that for when I go out to eat on my vacation.

silverburch never thought of having cottage cheese and an apple together. I like tuna with cottage cheese onion and chives.

maryann I like your saying "eat with sanity".

I am melting away.

Mary

maryann 03-06-2018 05:10 PM

Afternoon, Coaches.

Check up.

Food has been logged. I have finished with the students and did well by them. I continue to act as if I am not manic. This too shall pass. It will pass with me being this weight or ten pounds heavier. I choose to be this weight.

I continue to focus on gratitude. DS qualified for state convention with his Sibelius Waltz. What a kid! My students continue to be creative and industrious. They are also funny. I allow myself to take a half day sick leave because rest allows me to breathe and continue walking forward. I am getting my hair done this pm and considering going natural salt and pepper like DH. I feel like I need to shed who I was and embrace who I am. I'll let you know the outcome. (This is big stuff :))

nationalparker 03-06-2018 08:42 PM

A good day here - on plan. Made stir fry for dinner with snow peas, carrots, onions, peppers, garlic, chicken and I forget what else. Roasted broccoli as well. I don't like it in there. All that does is make more dishes, more pans, etc. Put the stir fry with the millet and brown rice ramen, and it is so good. Calculated it all on the WW program and fit in fine. I am sure my weight will jump with the tamari sauce from dinner and the soup from lunch. Bugs me but I don't want to skip an otherwise pretty healthy meal.

Got home and after walking our pooch, started a fire blazing away in the hearth. Such a cozy feeling. I'd picked up Murder on the Orient Express for DH to watch, turns out I'm watching it and he's kind of tuning it out. I need to get out of the habit of always saying, "Are you watching?" What does it matter to me?

I'm able to work from home tomorrow - I just LOVE that. I get so much done and love being able to spend time with the pets as well.

bethturnaround 03-06-2018 10:48 PM

In Ajijic

Great touristy shopping and walking day. Found some really pretty bowls.

Had dinner tonight with my dad, his wife, her daughter, and a longtime friend of my dad's. Didn’t make as good of choices as I could have, but did substitute sautéed vegetables for the potatoes. Had ribs, though, which definitely isn’t the lean protein I should have selected and I know I ate more than I intended. It was a great time, though!

I’m really enjoying the 80 degree break from Chicago winter!

Maryann—I heard Norman Mailer speak when I was in college. I’m not a fan either.

—Beth

BillBlueEyes 03-07-2018 04:17 AM

Wednesday - Greek philosopher Aristotle dies (322 BC, Chalcis, Greece)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Made a phone call that had been bugging me for months, CREDIT moi. As usual, the response wasn't as difficult as I expected - nor as helpful. When I get to be Czar, folks who answer phones will be instructed to be useful before chanting, "Is there anything else I can do for you today?" when they haven't done the single thing that the call was about.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. One more time dinner was salmon grilled on the deck outside the kitchen door. The grill is now covered anticipating a full 18 inches of heavy snow today. Or 1.5 inches. Or just some rain as the front passes by. Just the threats of it all has forced us to plan to spend the day at the DGD's house rather than travel back and forth to our house with her.

maryann - Such Beck like thinking, "I will forget the numbers, eat with sanity and take a walk. All will be well." Congrats to your DS - Sibelius couldn’t have done it without him.

nationalparker – Welcome to work at home day. I so fondly remember being so productive at home where the telephone didn't ring.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Ajijic looks like a neat place. Congrats for making a large family group dinner work. Jealous of your 80 degree F weather.

Mary (mam1958) - Love the notion of scrubbing hard to burn more calories.

Readers -
Quote:

day 6 Find a Diet Coach

How to Find a Diet Coach

If you're not sure whom to select, consider doing the following: . . .

Join an organized group. Look into weight-loss support groups offered by nonprofit community groups, hospitals, and commercial organizations. Ask to sit in on a meeting before making a commitment. You don't want a group in which people just talk about their problems and express their negative emotions in a nonconstructive way. you want a group in which people describe their successes, help others with their diet-related difficulties, and share useful weight-loss strategies.

If you join a group, you won't feel alone, since you're sharing experiences with others who are also struggling. Viewing their slips and mistakes in an objective, problem-solving way can help you take a more useful view of your own difficulties. You might also get a good feeling from helping others - and from being helped by them. You might meet someone who will agree to be your diet coach - and vice versa!

silverbirch 03-07-2018 09:49 AM

The post-viral cough is exhausting. I thought I was out of the flu woods but it has a very long arm. Can't even think straight.

I should be doing a full body workout today but I can't see my way clear to doing it. Rest is what's needed, I think.

No personals as I'm running out of energy quite fast. See you tomorrow.

maryann 03-07-2018 03:14 PM

Quick check in. Over calories yesterday was helped by a walk on the bleachers waiting for DS. Such a good idea I'll walk the blocks waiting for DS during music lessons. Credit. Breaking time up into smaller chunks as I try to swim through this depression. This too shall pass. Oh and decided to go "ash" base to eventually accommodate the gray. Looks good.

gardenerjoy 03-07-2018 09:46 PM

Getting ready for a short trip threw me for a loop. It doesn't seem like it should, but it did. I suspect that I would do better with short trips if I accept that I find them almost as disruptive as much longer ones.

So, checking in to see if I can make the trip as healthy as possible. Here's the plan -- focus on veggies, my packed apples are the only snack, exercise every day. I'm on a daily exercise streak that's been going for over 20 months. This is not the time to break my streak.

nationalparker 03-07-2018 10:35 PM

On plan again - feels good. Worked from home but didn't prep any dinner during my lunch break, like I often do. I decided to just wing it and prepped quesadillas that were great - roasted jalapeno refried black beans, seasoned baked sweet potato cubes, salsa, white corn, onion and a sprinkling of cheese. I need to write that combo down on my menu plan master list. Snow this morning and again this evening, but not enough to stick around until tomorrow. We have tickets for a performance of Appoggiatura and I'm looking forward to it.

Bill - Glad the call was made, but frustrating that it didn't accomplish what you were needing. I'm the caller in our home ... DH will gripe about something but never call. After our internet bill jumped up $45 off a promotion plan, I called them on Saturday to ask if they'd put us back on that promotion, even though it expired. He walked back and forth behind me throughout the call, saying just go back to the basic if they won't, just this ...just that, etc. I was friendly and explained that I didn't want to pay any more for it, could we retain the promo, etc. Success - no issues at all. I felt like I saved us $1,000 (it did, over two years), but still ...

Joy - Safe travels - I love quick in/out trips because I don't like leaving our pets for long.

Silverbirch - Hopefully this flu disappears here soon and you're back to full strength. It'll take a while, though; it's knocked some family members out for several weeks. Even two young ones (30s) had a harder time rebounding than they expected.

Maryann - Glad you like your cut/color! Credit for the self-care on that and the time off wanted.

Beth - Your trip sounds so wonderful, especially as the midwest and east are getting pummeled with snow and winds. Savor the warmth of the sunshine on your skin. Ahhh.

Mary - Thanks for the reminder that I can put more into my cleaning and get more out of it! Hope your day was good and you didn't get too buried with the snow. I need to check on our Mass. trio's weather - you, Bill and CurlyJax. :)

CurlyJax - Hope you made it through OK! Keep taking care of you...

BillBlueEyes 03-08-2018 05:20 AM

Thursday - International Women's Day (Recognized by the UN since 1911)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Chase the DGD day for exercise, CREDIT moi. This time she chose to be carried up to bed for her nap screaming in protest. In fact, she was ready for her nap; she just wanted to force us to make the decision. She laid down and went right to sleep. The predicted foul weather caused us to stay at her house instead of risking a late afternoon drive with her when heavy snow was predicted.

At their house, I had Internet problems using their WIFI connections. I tried everything. We took the DGD to a play space that has WIFI. Same problem there. Ooops . . . that suggests that I'm the problem. So I did the brilliant, technically difficult, challenging step of . . . restarting my computer. Problem solved! I hate when it's that easy and I sweat so hard before I do the obvious. Eating was on plan even with an afternoon snack. The snow that didn't accumulate yesterday appears to be on our walk right now. I've got to get out of here and do some shoveling.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on that 20-month exercise streak. I'm embarrassed that my suitcase for a short trip is about the same as for a long one. The one time, far away and long ago, that I spilled mustard on my tie during a business trip has meant that ever since then I've had backup clothes.

silverbirch – Yes, rest and let your body heal itself. Nothing feels better than a nap with no guilt feelings.

maryann - Congrats for making a decision about your hair color. It's a decision that I've never faced since gray hairs started appearing when I was fifteen. In high school, kids thought it neat.

nationalparker – Yay for working from home productively - even if you didn't do cooking prep during your lunch break. What does "a performance of Appoggiatura" mean?

Readers -
Quote:

day 6 Find a Diet Coach

How to Find a Diet Coach

If you're not sure whom to select, consider doing the following: . . .

Find a diet professional. Consider working one-on-one with a mental-health or health-care professional who has had experience and success with helping people lose weight and keep it off. You don't want to pick someone who focuses only on the supposed root cause of your weight problem ("It's your mother's fault!") You want someone who helps you identify and counter your unhelpful thinking, gives practical advice, is highly encouraging and motivating, and is willing to help you implement this program.

millie56 03-08-2018 12:23 PM

On plan for today - yesterday my husband took us to fast food for dinner so off-plan but didn't let it sabotage me into eating the rest of the night - was right back on track - credit me!! Exercise bike each morning have progressed from 5 minutes to 7 minutes even with my knees bothering me. Reading the intro of the Beck Book now on the characteristic of how thin people think - very interesting that I am highlighting and underlining very different things from the first time I went through the book. Wrote a new advantages card and am now reading both the new one I wrote this month and the old one from August 2016 when I first arrive at work and then again at 3:00 pm when I really want to grab unhealthy snack food (free for the taking at my work). Need to pick two diets (I like to call them food plans). Does anyone have any suggestions?? Curious what other peoples experience with various ways of eating and what has worked for them.

Thanks for being my diet coaches for today.

mam1958 03-08-2018 06:49 PM

Hey everyone,

Real busy today at work and home cleaning up after the storm. I walked 10,500 steps today and got some good cardio in with shoveling. Shoveling that heavy snow made me realize I need to start lifting some weights. Getting weak.
Food was good. Had baby carrots with my turnips. Have come to realize I am not a fan of baby carrots anymore. Bought them on sale not worth it.

silverbirch the flu this year is brutal. I liked to make a pot of good old fashioned chicken soup when I feel like that.

maryann It's always a boast for our mood right after coloring your hair.

nationalparker lunch sounded delish.

beth I will be feeling the warm sunshine soon. It will be in the 70's I'll take it. sounds really nice where you are.

billblueeyes so frustrating making phone calls with no outcome. Love the story of your DGD fighting the sleep.

millie56 I use MFP and no white carb programs. No sugar either. They really effect me once I start eating them I am a eating machine. NO GOOD.

I am melting away....

Mary