Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #121  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

Credits today: weighed (slightly down) and checked sugars (up). Ate everything sitting down. The high sugar made me think I should call my doctor this week, so I sent a message through the patient portal so that I couldn't forget tomorrow!

Today I only ate 4 of my 5 products. I can't make a habit of that. I just let the time get away from me and I don't really like to eat at night.

I showed DH my resistance bands today. He is taking them on his work trip tomorrow :-) and I ordered another set from Amazon.

Tomorrow's plan: consume all 5 products, 3 hours a part, and walk at least 20 minutes.

Have a great week, everyone!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Queen Victoria dies after 63 years on British throne (1901, Isle of Wight)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi - the first of these in for a spell. The sidewalks were clear; it was good winter walking. My evening event was within walking distance of my house, so I got a short second outing. The major distraction of the day was watching part of the (American) football game of the New England Patriots who now proceed to the Super Bowl in two weeks. This is joyous, of course, for us locals, but a problem for those of us who face eating challenges on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm already drooling for guacamole.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. At my evening event, I sat in front of snacks for two hours. That's always a tough one for me. I had some; avoided some. Sitting seems to awake my feeling of needing to eat.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Always seems like a winner, "A good plan will help with that."

curlyjax - Thinking of you guys.

Beth (bethturnaround) – LOL at the spread of resistance bands - sounds so revolutionary. Kudos for acting on your thought to call your doctor.

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

How and When to Give Yourself Credit

Here are some suggestions to help you get started: . . .

Reflect on your eating behaviors whenever you finish a meal or snack. Ask yourself, Did I remember to eat slowly? Did I notice every bite? Did I stop when the food was gone and refrain from taking seconds?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 76.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #123  
Green Tomatoes

A quick check-in. I'm due at our great-nephew's house at 8am to watch him for a few hours. His parents will be at a pre-natal appointment. We got the news at Christmas that there will be another DGN (niece or nephew) in the summer. I'm eating breakfast now so that it's my normal food.

Supper will probably be pizza carried in because I have a 6pm meeting. One slice and a salad works for me (if I don't do it too often), so that's the plan.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Quick check in. Credit for doing sushi better than I ever have. Sashimi and seaweed salad. Some anxiety this morning freefloating. I will simply walk step by step and eventually that blessed clock will tick no matter what happens and I can come home.
Food in MFP.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #125  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! Checking in with my dilemma as I've been journaling, planning, eating and thinking. And thinking even more. Overthinking, I guess. Last week I'd decided to give the FMD one more go - it worked well, was 100% healthy, natural foods, etc. After several days in, I realized that I'm just not in a place where I want to be that rigid again. I keep getting into the mindset of life's short, moderation, etc. I felt that I did more cooking and food prep because it was so much food cycling, so eating leftovers was dicey on some days. But then...what?

Back to the incessant counting that I know I don't want to do forever? Is that naive to think I can lose weight without counting? But basically everyone I've known who was previously on a counting program for weight loss (myself included), whether calories, ww, whatever, gained the weight back when the counting went by the wayside. I stayed the same for a decade and that wasn't ALL counting but it was nearly all awareness and well, now thinking about it, it really WAS a lot of counting but not all healthy - i.e., a bag of popcorn for dinner if I was alone, etc. That and salad or that alone isn't an optimum choice. I don't want to be back to trying to hit some random target of calories that I'm making up from internet searches, when who knows how my body is using calories or not using them. SO if I just say I'm going to have my meals be mostly veg, some fruit, some healthy fats and grains with a bit of protein - then just eat until I'm not hungry? Is that a weight loss plan? Is it Intuitive Eating for the most part? Can I wing that for one of my "diets" that Dr. Beck says I should have? Will following her guidelines of recognizing why I want to lose weight and setting myself up to succeed mesh well and provide a better backbone? I had a mini meltdown this morning, not dramatic, but just in my mind. Packed healthy meals - fruit and veg and protein, etc. But then I got to work and looked up WW - I NEED SOMETHING. Then realized that when they advertise you can "eat real food" they're not talking about REAL FOOD ... they're talking about junk food, really, and I thought that's not what I want to support with my money. The DASH diet? The Mediterranean (which honestly is closest to what we typically eat except we prob eat more protein and not enough fish) ... or can I just be more intuitive and be happy with slower loss as long as I'm trending in the right direction? Activity is near nil in the winter. I need to work on that as well. I just feel like I've had the worst weight span of my life in the past eight months. BY FAR.

Thanks for letting me get thoughts out here - I needed to kind of think things through and will go home and journal some more tonight. Goal is to get on the bike for a bit before DH gets home - or at some point if he gets home early. Dinner is prepped. Yesterday I cooked a spicy shrimp soup for him (I don't eat seafood) that he loved but I made it too spice with sliced jalapenos in it and then fresh ones on the top ... I leaned down to smooch his head while he was eating it and his hair was sweaty from the spiciness. HA. Also prepped chicken gumbo with spicy chicken andouille sausage. I have to make the brown rice to go along with that, so we're set for tomorrow night. Prepped a chicken chorizo, black bean, onion, garlic, sweet potato, salsa verde skillet with some brown rice and I've made a few modifications for the next time but it's pretty spicy and flavorful. A good ratio of ingredients and paired with a salad, was a great lunch. We've plenty for more lunches. I feel as it 90% of what we eat is very healthy, but obviously lately I'm overindulging in sweets and not getting enough veg. I'm mentally struggling and feel as if I'm looking for answers that really aren't there. I believe in healthy food being curative and unhealthy food being detrimental, so why am I sliding in unhealthy food?

I'm probably going to go back in and edit this down because it's startlingly and offputtingly long and full of indecision. I've given myself a deadline of mid-May which doesn't help at all. I'm wishing I was retired so I can be active when I want to and not just before or after work. And when it all comes down to it, I should just be thankful that I'm healthy and not facing a true challenge.

CurlyJax - You and your family remain in my thoughts. Cherish the time you have with your DH. I hope your community of friends is supporting you all so the path is a bit easier.

Silverbirch - I never responded - often the protein in my salads is raw pumpkin seeds (not a 1/4 cup, but a decent sprinkling) and a bit of rotisserie chicken on the side. Sometimes I prep a salad with no protein, just the veg and a bit later have a small turkey burger. I am just LOVING the mixed green salad with (at times) some mandarin orange, dried cranberries, a few dried cherries and a light sprinkle of dried unsweetened coconut. I know to limit the dried fruit as it's pretty calorie dense, but with the fruit balsamics, I look forward to it vs. dread.

Bill - I have to say I was cheering for the Jags (the horror, I know, to you Bostonians!) but with my family still in Jax and the Patriots being our nemesis here back when we had a competitive team. At least for me the Super Bowl won't be an eating challenge. Kudos for always looking to walk before ride.

Joy - Credit for having your plan for an on plan day! Early congrats for the family member to come.

Maryann - I wanted to look at the Mediterranean Diet portions (50-30-20 carbs/healthy fats/protein)... initially I looked at that and, with the typical American thinking, thought it was too low in protein. Then remembered meals there where I really didn't eat much protein and wasn't extra hungry, but had good activity and healthy fat. Got me thinking more. I think all the information just serves to add more confusion. Every thing I want to believe is smart, can be debunked on many other sites Ugh. I LOVE your line "crazy making" ... I felt like a nut writing this post but I'm doing so much mental debate. I just need to move forward. Today was a healthy eating day with plenty of veggies and my water. Onward!

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-22-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #126  

Mid day check in. OP today but this is the time I can get off

Nationalparker: I just went through yr whole process two weeks ago. It is crazy making and I do vacilllate between wanting to buy someone to make me accountable but then I know it doesn't work. For me, I have to be strict in a few areas or I never see results. Right now it is exercise five days a week, drink most of a gallon of lemon water a day and put my food into MFP looking not at calories but at percentages 40 30 30. This allows me some sweet snacking as I balance it with protein and veggies. So far so good. You'll find yr way. You've done it before.

Last edited by maryann; 01-22-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #127  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all.

Credit for today--I went to the gym and walked the track. (by myself since DH is out of town and DD is sick) I was feeling motivated enough on the way home to stop at the store and get milk for DD. Sometimes running errands just seems like "too much" but today it seemed easy.

I'm out of one of the favorites of the products I'm using and tried to figure out ways to make it work to get more today. But I'm unlearning my food habits and that includes only eating things I love rather than balance. So I'm going forward with what I have--and that's fine.

nationalpaker: I am one of those who gained the weight back when I stopped counting. Intuitive eating doesn't work for me because I find it too easy to stop thinking about it--and what I intuitively want to eat isn't healthy or good for me.

The one diet I did that didn't require counting at all was the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. It has very simple rules:
  1. No carbs for breakfast, lunch, or snacks
  2. Dinner (reward meal) starts with a salad
  3. Dinner is balanced with protein/carbs/fats/veggies/etc
  4. Dinner has to be eaten within one hour

I told my weight loss doctor about it and he said it's a great diet and that's how I should plan on eating for the rest of my life.

I lost weight on this several times--but when I started eating carbs again the weight came back on.

It might be worth trying for you.

We haven't been invited to a Super Bowl Party--we'll see what happens with that!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Elizabeth Blackwell becomes first female physician (1849, New York)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Recharged the electric car, CREDIT moi. It's a normal event, like buying gas, but I'm feeling grateful that I own a car and have access to electricity.

Evening event was spent in front of a coffee table of foods for two hours. I had a light dinner before so that I could plan to have some nibbles during the evening. CREDIT moi for attempting a sane path. I give a ride to a friend who always appreciates my electric chariot. Another friend who's approaching 90 went home by Lyft because he's just given up his car, deciding to only use public transportation and walking. He's a hearty type with Vermont in his genes, so he's not daunted by ice and snow. The evening conversation reminded me that sane folks accept their aging. That's a challenge to think about.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Exciting to think of being a Great Aunt for the second time. Eating before a 6pm meeting requires a pretty early dinner.

maryann - Kudos for "simply walk step by step." Wish I had that all the time.

nationalparker – Count me as one of those for whom "overthinking" happens a lot. Kudos for recognizing it and going forward with it. [Yep, the Jaguars looked good in that game. I had to fight my tendency to cheer for the underdog.]

curlyjax - Continuing to send supportive thoughts.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yay for getting back into feeling OK to run errands. Kudos for seeking balance.

Readers -
Quote:

How and When to Give Yourself Credit

Here are some suggestions to help you get started: . . .

Buy a small counter - the kind that people use to keep track of how much their groceries cost while they're shopping or that golfers use to keep track of their score - and click it every time you deserve credit. At the end of the day, record the number of clicks in your diet notebook.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 77.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #129  

Good morning, Coaches.

BBE: It is good to know sane people accept their aging. Mid fifties, my husband and I are certainly finding ways to accept the "new" us. My GG lived to be 100 and she started a whole new life at 50. i want to be just like her.

Beth: Great point. Every meal does not have to be perfect. There has been many a time I have been binging food I would never eat normally. It can work in reverse.

The anxiety continues but I continue to walk through it. DH says I am still living last semester and haven't given my new schedule enough time to settle in. I'll act as if that is the truth and maybe it will be. Food remained OP with two swap outs that were not too bad. I drank plenty of water.

Have a good day every one.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #130  
Green Tomatoes

Feel like I'm running late and behind. I'm pretty sure that's a framing that I can rework if I choose to. The last couple of days have held more pressure and procrastination than is good for me and more calories to go with it. I'm overthinking things as well, nationalparker. I'll aim to get lots of veggies today and not worry about too much else to give this a day or two to see if it will work itself out. Sometimes it does. Late January and February are not my most sane times for meeting reality where it stands.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #131  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A better day here. At least a more settled mind, which is a blessing. I decided to go off my previous plan and planned nutritious meals but not cycling the foods as before. So egg scramble with diced sweet potato cubes that I'd baked last night, and onion as a starter to my day. We're now planning a trip in February as DH has to choose his vacation slots through June. I am hesitant to lock anything in now with my brother's surgery coming up, even though he said they're set and he doesn't want me to come down while he's in hospital. But I've said I'll go if he changes his mind or if I can be of any help to his wife. I hate to have other plans reserved in case situation changes. I've told DH but he's still fine with adjusting if need be, so ...

Beth - With no carbs until dinner - does that include carbs in fruits and veg? Or breads, grains and starchy veg like spuds/peas? That'd be more restrictive than my previous plan and I like getting in fruits and veg. Thanks for the info on this!

Maryann - Your DH's observance of you still being enmeshed in last year's school year sounds plausible. I wouldn't have thought of that. Sometimes those around us really see us.

OK, Bill - knowing that a 90-year old uses Lyft with no issues, makes me feel like a dinosaur. I have not yet jumped onto the Lyft, Uber, etc. scene. I'm not sure WHY but I guess I also haven't really needed it. At least I'll tell myself that.

Joy - I feel like this season (now through May) is the time of year I'm always running behind at both work and home. But I'm realizing that if I can get a good solid sleep that has me stress about it a bit less. Now if I only committed to activity for the same reason!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #132  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

I've been on my new plan for 2 weeks now. Weigh in tomorrow evening.

Credits--weighed today (down), checked sugar (still too high), took my meds on the updated schedule the doctor gave me

I'm really not hungry, even as little as I'm consuming. I guess that's a good thing. It means I only have to fight bored/emotional eating and not the typical choice/portion control that comes with eating for hunger. Soon I think I'll start the process of working with a behavioral therapist in preparation for making changes once I start eating 'normally'.

nationalparker, it is more restricted--no carbs means no fruit and no starchy vegetables. You can have all of those things as part of the balanced healthy dinner, but not for other meals or snacks. The claim is that the carbs are what make us crave more carbs--and puts us into an endless cycle. Clearly there are people for whom that's not true--and clearly there are people for whom it is. Google "Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" or get the Hellers' book from the library if you're interested.

Joy, hope things get less crazy for you soon

maryann Credits for water and well chosen swaps!

BillBlueEyes: DH wants an electric car. No current plans in that direction :-).

I decided my response cards needed conclusions as well as responses to my sabotaging thoughts.

“I’m going to have one of those”
Sabotaging thought: That looks tasty. I’m going to have one.
Response: No, I’m not. I will not enjoy it enough to counteract changes on the scale.
Conclusion: I am not going to eat that.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:06 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Gold discovered at Sutter’s Creek (1848, near Coloma, California)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Finished reading Krakatoa for my reading group tonight. What a ride. I thought the book was about geology. Then I thought it was about social evolution as the explosion led to the demise of Dutch influence in Indonesia. Then the book came to be about biological repopulation of a devastated island. It was like three different books under one title. Being ready a full day ahead is a triumph for me. In the past, I've found myself frantically reading during the hour before meeting.

Walked, CREDIT moi, a zillion miles within the Boston Public Library viewing an exhibit of old maps of the world. The BPL is one bustling place. I'm not sure that I've seen it on a school day afternoon before. One round table was filled with a dozen high school girls with laptops giggling and doing homework together. Homeless-dressed folks were on some of the Internet-connected computers. Serious adults were studying stacks of books. All for free just because we pay property taxes to support it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, "Late January and February" are the pits. March 1st is when hope for Spring arrives.

maryann - Kudos for "I continue to walk through it." Sounds like you're likely to have long-life genes.

nationalparker – Baked diced sweet potato cubes sound really good. Wish you well figuring out how to plan for your next visit to your DB.

curlyjax - Continue to think of you guys. Hope you made it through the serious rain we had yesterday.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Neat to add "Conclusion" to your Response Cards.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
Are you having any sabotaging thoughts about giving yourself credit? Here are some typical ones, along with helpful responses. Create Response Cards for any you think apply to you.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't deserve credit for doing things I should already be doing. These things aren't accomplishments. They should be easy for me to do.
Helpful Response: If I don't give myself credit for essential behaviors, I'll be less likely to practice these behaviors consistently. If I were naturally thin, had a small appetite, and didn't have to work at controlling my weight, perhaps I wouldn't deserve credit. But I'm not naturally thin. I do struggle. I do deserve credit every single time I think about something in a helpful way or engage in helpful behavior.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 77.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #134  

Good Morning,

Credit for beginning again this morning. I hopped off plan somewhere around 4:00. I became super hungry for carbs and had a long night of commitments. So frustrating for me. I trace the beginning of hungry from a fun size box of conversation hearts. Such a small thing can get me going down the rabbit hole. i was up at 1:30 this morning, hating myself and afraid to go to the shrink today. Saint DH heard me crying, came out, and talk to me for awhile and then I just got some work done.

I know that feeding my compulsion to work is not really a long term solution but for right now I am doing the best I can. I also have to realize that my work day is INCREDIBLY busy. I manage 66 kids plus the stray crazy adult that wanders in to my classroom. I don't have a curriculum for one class so I make it up day by day. I do have letters of rec to write for students. On and on. I need to be able to differentiate between what is reality of my workload and what is the "hypomania." That is like asking a baby elephant what is gray. It seems like all the world is gray because that is all she sees.

5:45 now. I've written the lesson plans. Ill head to school. Lunch is waiting there. breakfast is eaten. Water jug full. Plan for the day is accepting me as I am today - not younger, thinnner, calmer, wiser, or happier. I am me for today. That is enough.

Last edited by maryann; 01-24-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

I'm still struggling with willingness to do the things that will clearly work better for me -- eat less, follow my food plan, write a doable to-do list and follow it. We've had enough warm days that the cedars are pollinating, so that may be a big part of the problem. The tree sex started early, so this could be a two-month problem. I don't want to struggle this much for that long. So, time to start doing things that I know help when I have allergy malaise -- identify good, productive, distracting projects and work on them in a calm, steady way. Avoid the things that take me away from those projects.
Closed Thread