3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #61
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Theodore Roosevelt makes Grand Canyon a national monument (1908, Arizona)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Chase the DGD day for exercise, CREDIT moi. She holds the rank of Yoda for teaching patience. She agrees to go outside; gets on her coat, hat, and boots; then takes her coat off. There's no real reason for taking her coat off. "I don't want it on." Then off come the boots and hat. Then the cycle repeats. The one advantage of being a grandparent is that we're not headed into a must-meet deadline so there's room to play the game. DW exhibits patience. I smile hoping that it's not noticed that smoke is pouring from my ears, LOL. When we heard a crow, she wouldn't stop until we saw it. Fortunately, crows are big, coal black, and fly about enough for her to be able to spot them. She doesn't let something go. If we hear a crow, it's to be seen!

Food was good, CREDIT moi. That includes my allocated share of snickerdoodles leftover from the batch that DW made for her garden club potluck. They've been counted. I have an allocation! My stature is enhanced because I like the ones with dark bottoms - ones that DW considers 'burned.' However, that doesn't grant me permission to just eat them all at once. Whatever works to stay sane about eating.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – 'Fewer' and 'smaller' are good words.

maryann - It's so interesting that demanding people can't handle boundaries. Kudos for keeping your perspective. [Thanks for reminding me, "wasted in the trash or wasted in my body."]

nationalparker – Hope you have a good flight home. Super that you and your sister are doing well.

curlyjax - Yay for progress with your DH. Sorting papers and mice are two of the worst. Super Kudos for "I will NOT reward myself with food!!"

Beth (bethturnaround) – Kudos for choosing your plan. Meal replacement has the marvelous advantage of removing choices. Neat that the Blue Book is such a good price on Amazon. It helps me to be given a fresh perspective on similar information.

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

Start now by telling yourself, Good job, or the equivalent every time you sit down to eat, read a Response Card, and complete every other weight-loss task in this program. By consciously giving yourself credit, you'll reinforce your self-confidence and build an awareness that you're strong and in control. When you overeat or eat in an unplanned way, you might begin to feel helpless, thinking, I just can't make myself do what I need to to. When you give yourself credit every time you do something right, though, you can more easily see such slips as momentary mistakes, not earthshaking events, and head off a sense of hopelessness.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 74.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #62
Green Tomatoes

Weight drops fast when I eat fewer than 1000 calories. But I'm also noticing brain and sleep disturbances, so I'm glad that recovery is proceeding as expected. I predict that I will experience actual hunger today and feel like getting my food intake closer to normal. Although, given this opportunity to reset, I want to aim for a new normal.

I'm glad I walked yesterday. We'll get to 60 degrees this afternoon, but it will be raining. And then the temperature will drop all evening and night to 16 degrees by morning.

Weigh-in: -1.35 kg, Exercise: +40, 365/1200 minutes for January

curlyjax: Good to hear of DH's progress. I hope your chore list went well.

maryann: That's a good observation about how much energy goes into self care and then, paradoxically, leaves us open to low-energy temptations. Now that you've described it, I notice that pattern in myself. Thank you! That's going to help.

nationalparker: So good that you made this trip work with your sister!

bethturnaround: I read parts of the blue book and found it useful -- a good reminder that I might want to revisit it.

BillBlueEyes: Cool that DGD is turning into a bird watcher already!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #63

S/C/G: 173/ 163/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

Echoing from the Beck selection today: Good Job, Mary Ann. For the first time in ages I stuck to a written plan. I actually used that rusty resistance muscle of mine and waited five hours in between meals. I have lapsed into consistent, unconscious snacking. I can see now. It was not easy to abstain but I followed my plan of doing nothing else difficult in order to do the most important difficult thing. Weight was a slight drop but it doesn't matter because it is the BEHAVIOR that will last in the long run.

I have written a plan for today that will be a little more difficult because it involves a meal replacement. Thinking of Beth's decision, I realize I have always been successful replacing at least one meal a day. So it will be a light day of eating followed by a basketball game with the difficult FREE "all you can eat" small plate buffets that lasts the whole game ( concierge seating). My plan is unlimited tastings of all salads and soups ( they usually have three or four to choose from), a small plate of protein, and two tastings (they are very small) of desserts that look interesting. (I will be thinking of BBE's constant duel with free food.)

I am not going to the game for the food. I am going to the game to enjoy an evening out with my family, to people watch, to take in the sights and sounds, to experience. Food is only a small part of the experience.

nationalparker: So glad the visit to your sister went well. It is great to have the opportunity to mend some fences.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #64
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/230/180 for now

Height: 5'2"

Today was Day 2 on the meal replacement plan. I went to an evening meeting where there was pizza (and I happen to know it is good pizza). I knew there was going to be pizza so I was sure to have one of a product before I left home and brought a bar for my evening snack to eat after the meeting. The pizza smelled good, but I reminded myself that it had nothing to do with me. Credit!

I'm a little self-conscious about doing Optifast--these plans are so drastic and not always viewed well. I'm doing it to avoid decisions, to get a good jump start on my weight loss, and to make a big dent in my blood levels.

I weight this morning (down) and checked my sugar (up). I've had no Diet Coke and 80 oz of water. Credit!

I called our architect today. He didn't call me back. This is making me crazy--I just want this process to move along.

maryann: good luck on the replacing one meal a day.

joy: good luck with your reset. It can really help when circumstances get you started!

billblueyes: Congrats on allocating your Snickerdoodles!

Have a good night, all!
bethturnaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #65
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Jack London, writer (The Call of the Wild) born (1876, San Francisco)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another reason to walk to the library, CREDIT moi, is that I bumped into an old friend. We broke the rules and stood chatting in the middle of the room. He lives almost within the shadow of the building; think that I should consider that next time I buy a house. I didn't bring home any books since my stacks are in need of pruning, not expanding.

Food was OK until I hit upon the need for an afternoon snack. Ouch! I didn't really need a snack, I needed the work that I was doing not to run into the block of trying to get an important email to a person who had just retired and the only email address that I had was his old office. Finally found his wife's email address; wrote to her asking her to have him email me. I felt like a parent looking for their kid who wasn't home at curfew, LOL. All is well; he answered from vacation in Florida. And, no, the snack didn't help. What I had needed was a short break for my brain to descramble after flailing about trying to find the guy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, below 1000 calories is low; hope you acclimate to easing up to your higher level. Enjoy your 60 degrees F.

maryann - Kudos for having a plan for the FREE food you were facing at the basketball game. Yep, that'd be a challenge for me. Great perspective, "Food is only a small part of the experience."

Beth (bethturnaround) – Super Kudos for thinking in advance about the pizza with "reminded myself that it had nothing to do with me." I share your frustration when waiting for a professional to return a call.

Readers -
Quote:
tip!
Create a "credit account." For every positive behavior you acknowledge, drop a coin or dollar bill (whatever is handy) into a special container. After you follow your diet plan for a certain number of weeks (you decide how many), take the money out, add whatever extra amount is required, and buy something for yourself that you might normally pass up, such as tickets to a play or sporting event.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #66
Green Tomatoes

I'm still following the plan as I write it, without any resistance to speak of. Nice while it lasts. I'll try a normal lunch today, now that my suppers have been normal for a couple of days.

The rain came later than expected, so I got to walk after all.

Weigh-in: NA kg, Exercise: +40, 405/1200 minutes for January

maryann: I like your plan for the "free" buffet. Something similar works for me at potluck meals.

bethturnaround: Do you think describing your plan as a "medically-supervised food plan" instead of Optifast might shut down unwanted opinions from others?

BillBlueEyes: In the age of cell phones and email, it can sometimes be harder to find someone than when we all had an entry in the phone book.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #67

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday's plan was not very successful. I tried to eat too little in order to compensate for the buffet. I ended up out of whack. The scale is five pounds up from ticker. A phone check in with the shrink confirms some of this weight could be the med to which I am adjusting. Her bottomline is this slight weight gain ( at this point) is worth it if it allows me to be the mom and wife I want to be and to continue teaching. She says it is not forever. It feels like I should hop off all the medication but then apparently I have a disorder that tells me I don't have a disorder. Tricky. For today, I will control what I can control. I will make a more reasonable eating plan. Done. I will take a walk. I will putter a little.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #68
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! I'm finally back home - delays in my second flight yesterday resulted in me getting home at 3 a.m. Thankful my boss was fine with those of us who wanted to working from home instead of being on the icy roads. Poor DH slept in the cell lot at the airport until I called him when I walked off the plane. I had gotten everything into a backpack, so didn't have to wait for the baggage. I had bought a salad with turkey for my dinner at the airport, but by the time I ate it, it was very soggy from the vinegar. Then after a few delays, I realized I wanted something else for dinner - at 11 p.m. I ended up at McD - the first time I've eaten a meal from McD... a kid's meal chicken nuggets but then tossed the fries because they were cold. I was looking forward to enjoying them, honestly. But after eating five, I thought better of it. It was truly a waste of money and would have been smarter to just buy the fat/protein nuggets and I would have been as satisfied.

I'm still at my all-time high from recent memory. I'm ready to take action, with my goal to be in my spring clothes by my main athletic event in May ...

Bill - I'm going to take after you and note my activity of the day here - because I'm not getting enough. Not thinking about the calorie burn, but instead the overall stress and health benefits more. And when I don't have any activity, I am going to try to remember to mention that as well, so I actually NOTE that I'm not active enough those days. So for today I shoveled our driveway and then did 2/3 of my neighbor's. She came out when I was partway done and felt bad, but I said I was all wet and why not keep going. She kept apologizing and I'd just aimed to lend a hand. But I think she likes the conversation, so I'll think that's why she came out, not that I intruded.

Off to get in a hot eucalyptus salts bath to warm up before DH gets home. I made a spicy turkey with cannellini beans soup - will add the ditalini when he gets in. Proud that I figured out something good and healthy to make when I came home to a house without many groceries at all. Will set a fire in after the bath and make it cozy. I wish weight wasn't always on the forefront because this would be a nice snowy weekend to make homemade cinnamon rolls or coffee cake.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #69
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all,

Only 3 days into my meal replacement plan and we're at a hotel for the weekend for an event. I stayed away from the snack table (as in across the ballroom). Credit!

I weighed this morning (down) and forgot to check my sugar. I did bring my meter with me and put it by my toothbrush so I won't forget tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone has an on-plan weekend.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:33 AM   #70
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Saturday

Have been nibbling - the consequence of not feeling too well myself and extra 'work' with the rest of the extended family. Today I will focus on planning and making food for particular times which I think will help.

No exercise for the last couple of days as my knee started feeling a bit off. I think it's OK today so I'll do my flexibility exercises.

Beth, being far away from the snack table is a very smart move.

nationalparker, I can hear you're pleased to be home!

maryann, I will join you in puttering today.

gardenerjoy, realistic and experienced words about enjoying the lack of resistance whilst it lasts.

Bill, 'a short break for [your] brain to descramble'. This is exactly what happens to me. And it's at its worst when I'm doing too many complicated things back to back. Thinking about it now, through the prism you've offered, I'm wondering about getting up and doing a few easy knee bends or something. Except it also strikes me after I've been out 'rafting', as we call it, running several errands in different places.

curlyjax, I set the timer on tasks like yours of sorting piles of paper. 20 minutes or so and then I do something else for 5 minutes (sometimes an exercise). Good luck!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #71
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Zola’s “J’accuse” letter is printed (1898, in L'Aurore, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At the supermarket, there were more end displays of cookies than I've ever seen before. It's too early for Easter sweets - must have been a random thing. Anyway, not about me. Continuing to wade through some paperwork that keeps me tense. I tried old fashioned peanuts. Nope, they don't resolve tension, either.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to the subway in the evening, in the rain, to attend a benefit concert for the reconstruction of a monastery and a nunnery in Nepal. They are still trying to recover from the 2015 earthquake that claimed the lives of 9000 people. It seemed an oxymoron to be listening to a Buddhist nun who was a pop culture icon but there she was. When I hear opera sung in Italian, I really want the translation. As we listened to singing in Tibetan, I just went with the flow.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for a bit of "normal" in your life.

silverbirch – [Yes, getting up would be a much better response when the brain suggests that a snack will solve my problems.]

maryann - Like the notion of a plan that includes "I will putter a little" - seems realistic.

nationalparker – Welcome Home! (Didn't I just write that?) Still traveling at 3 am is not for rational folks. Kudos for extending your exercise to include your neighbor's driveway.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Staying away from the snack table sounds like a good strategy, Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:

How and When to Give Yourself Credit

Giving yourself credit can take the form of a word or brief phrase that you say silently to yourself, such as:
  • Okay!
  • That was good.
  • Great!
  • Good going!
  • That deserves credit.
  • Yes!
  • I did it!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #72
Green Tomatoes

I had no energy yesterday. Fortunately, I could work around that with desk projects that required less brain power and a short walk plus stretching for exercise.

Today is hard to plan. If I end up feeling like yesterday (the low energy swept in about an hour after waking), I won't want to do my usual Saturday activities. I'm a little skeptical of today's lunch spot anyway -- Indian food doesn't seem like the ideal choice for a first restaurant meal after being sick. Now that I think about it, I think I'll just make the decision to stay home today. My Saturday activities tend to wipe me out in a good week and this hasn't been a good week.

Now, today will be much easier to plan! I'm going to add back my normal breakfast, so today will be my first shot at what I hope is my new normal -- three meals plus one snack that is a salad. I've eliminated the higher calorie second snack from my old normal plan. Besides giving me a calorie deficit that might get the scale moving a bit more quickly, that should also help with the bad habit of foraging treats while running errands. If my only snack choice is a salad, that really limits the treats that I forage for.

Weigh-in: NA kg, Exercise: +30, 435/1200 minutes for January

maryann: That sounds familiar. Planning is the only thing that works for me, but it's not a 100% thing -- there are so many ways that a good plan can fail, including that it wasn't as good of a plan as I thought it was.

nationalparker: Recording daily exercise is a very helpful habit for me. I do it on a monthly thread here at 3FC and I keep the lists each month so I have a record going for years now. Shoveling snow is good exercise!

bethturnaround: I hope your event goes well!

silverbirch: I hope the stretches help with your knee and that you're able to get some rest.

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the sending me off on an exploration of "J'accuse." I think I've missed some things because I didn't have that cultural reference in my collection.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #73

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday's plan held until after dinner. Then I inexplicably needed more. I came face to face with my fear of an empty stomach. Tonight when I have that feeling I will say, "How interesting. But the kitchen is closed." Weight is four pounds from ticker. I had an anxious day. Credit for taking a brisk walk in the sunshine despite feeling all was wrong and nothing will work. I took some small action to keep my from being too down. I went to a new bank to open up two new accounts that actually offered an incentive for my money. My credit union accounts give me next to nothing. I have had them since 1992 and I hate the parking lot. So credit with trying something new. I know that most savvy money people switch accounts around according to incentives. I know how to do it but I'm always afraid of the hassle. So credit for doing things outside of eating that are new and interesting.

Two new things: I downloaded a free meditation ap to add structure to my daily prayer and meditation time. Finally, I highlighted in yellow the two yoga classes I can attend when school begins again.

My motto: Take different actions to get different results. The caveat, of course, is to keep and credit all the wonderful things that are working already like posting here, maintaining vibrant relationships, telling the truth, etc. . .

silverbirch: My putter time limit today is 10:30 when I will start planning my creative writing class. Interesting work that isn't too anxiety provoking.
gardenerjoy: Indian food does sound like a bit much for a trial normalcy.
nationalparker: I think intentional exercise will be the key for me. Writing both food and exercise will keep me accountable.
Beth: Happy fourth day to a new way of living. Credit.
BBE: As always, thanks for posting the excerpts.

Last edited by maryann; 01-13-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 AM   #74
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

A super busy day at trying to catch up - cleaning, marketing, laundry, etc. I ordered several rugs (we've not had them down since the flooring project) and picked them up and did deep living room, dining room and bedroom cleaning. It looks more finished in here and it was a quick selection. I found them all within about 15 minutes of looking, they were 30% off and about 1/3-1/2 (depending on the room) of the price I was prepared to pay. Spent a lot on groceries, though, but now have a lot to work with for meals this week and beyond. Even remembered the kale for the wild rice/kale, caramelized sweet potato side dish I keep planning to prep. I sat down for breakfast, lunch and dinner (all at home) and that was the only time I sat down all day except to check in here, and in the car on errands. Credit for all the activity. Feel like I'm ready to relax tomorrow! We'll go to a movie; that I know for sure. Also meeting DH's younger daughter in her town, an hour-plus away, for dinner.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:20 AM   #75
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all.

Another event day. I left the room when everyone was eating lunch and wouldn't let anyone eating pizza sit down at my table for dinner. It's smells rather than sight I'm worried about. However, I did fine, even when the people next to me were eating chocolate as we played a game. One of the things I'm hoping for is that this will help me break my sugar addiction. I'm coming to accept that I may need to treat sugar as an addictive substance I just can't handle.

The advice to refer to it as "my doctor put me on a medically managed meal replacement plan" was a good one. It is easier to explain that way! Thanks, Joy!

Good night all!

Last edited by bethturnaround; 01-14-2018 at 03:21 AM.