Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone. Brief check in. DH is on the cardiac floor, hooked up to various tubes etc. He may have an infection so they are treating with antibiotics. His potassium is low which affects the heart. Things are very serious but at least there are things they can treat. He says he feels better but is very tired still. I feel bad I can’t be there much of the time but I get the feeling he wants to rest anyhow and feels like he has to talk when i’m there. Things are definitely going downhill and his body is so weak from all the cancer treatments etc he’s already had.
I talked to the husband of a friend of mine last night: the friend passed away about 2 years ago of cancer. We talked about anticipatory grief. I feel so bad for my kids in all this, especially my son.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #92  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

None of my frustrations amounts to a hill of beans when CurlyJax's DH is in the cardiac unit. I am soothing frustrations and worry with food. It tastes and feels good in the moment, but of course, it's just packing on here. Did limit myself to two cookies (limit being used very loosely) but got home from work after 8 and DH wasn't home, so went on more errands and just picked us up subs for dinner. I haven't done that in maybe two years. My dinner was a whopping 730 calories!

CurlyJax - I'm so sorry to hear about your DH - I'm hoping the drs are able to get the balance needed so his systems aren't constantly battling each other. I remember the potassium issues with my mom.

Joy - Oh, Colin Firth! He's a fave of mine. It's been a very long time since I've seen that...it might have to be rewatched this winter. Have you enjoyed Cranford? I loved it (!!) and had put Return to Cranford, in Britain it's referred to at A Cranford Christmas, on hold at the library and it came up for me so I picked it up today. The box is in Spanish, so i hope there is a language selection on there.

Bill - LOL at your DGD making the cribs for her babies. Despite being surrounded with those great Tonka trucks - the metal ones - I loved my baby dolls the most. Ole eagle eyes is at the least, generous with the cookies! i know that book wouldn't be for me when the second sentence has 40 words...

Silverbirch - I'm going to take my hint from you and plan my exercise. Credit for you doing that! I want to pick up tickets to a theatre performance and if I walk there downtown, I can save the $8 online fee! So, I'll bring appropriate footwear and just lock out the time to do that at lunch. Thanks for the nudge. (I typed nude and never thought of how easy that typo would be.) HA.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #93  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking Happy Winter Solstice

Coaches

Longest night tonight then we're heading toward summer sun. A bit optimistic, I know. but it's still true. *credit for the ever-turning earth.

Meanwhile we are enjoying a snowstorm. Not sure If it will be all that but I can see the fluffy snow calling as I look out the dining room window. I see it falling beneath the street lamp. There is no howling wind so it isn't a big deal. Just winter happening on the first day of winter.

Foodwise I'm doing good. Still sugar free. Still on the foodplan for the week. Cravings are awakened when I drink any sugar-free stuff. Otherwise food is not a thing right now which is fanastic. I am beginning to plan the sides I will make for xmas dinner. DH needs to make a salad. I will make mashed potatoes and carrots and peas. Very plain but they will all like it. I'll also make fresh dinner rolls for sopping up gravy from the prime rib that MIL is making. Just for her I am planning a traditional Hungarian goulash soup and some Irish soda bread. She gave me soup for my birthday and I will give her soup for xmas! I'll make that Sunday. The Xmas sides Monday morning. I wanted to make Hungarian cabbage rolls but don't have the energy for that right now. I'm going to try to visit MIL more often in the coming year to bring her soup which she loves. In think her health is declining so I feel like this could be something I could do that would be a help or a comfort. That's what I am thinking tonight.

Weightwise the scale is dropping. 261 on Monday and today 257. I am beyond thrilled. Credit.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-21-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #94  
persist

curlyjax I feel for you and your family. Your note just took my breath away. I am so sorry to hear about what's happening. It's good you have someone to talk to who gets exactly what you are going through.

nationalparker Sometimes you have to call it a day and move on. Credit for resisting the cookies because you did resist them as you did stop. Major victory.

gardenerjoy Kudos for geting to a play for sheer enjoyment. Excellent. Well done with the food planning as well as improving the quality of your lunch.

billblueeyes Kudos for another fine day with the DGD. It would be tough to turn down her cookie. I don't recall Beck addressing that topic!

Goodnight.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:52 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony world premiere (1808, Vienna)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to a series of places to work on the long list of to-do's between now and Christmas. At the bank I got thirty gold-toned dollar coins to put in the toes of all our stockings. This will continue the tradition that we started years ago after realizing that we were putting gold foil covered coins of chocolate in the toes of the stockings - junk chocolate. Stuff so bad that it's relegated to gold foil coins. Delighted to get a few Sacagawea versions that we Lewis and Clark aficionados admire. Also picked up four rolls of quarters - one of my predictable fun Christmas gifts to DW who keeps them in her car for parking meters. And, best of all, I got a nine-volt battery that makes my bedside alarm clock immune to power outages. I can't believe that I never bothered to look underneath to know that my alarm has that feature - when the battery is fresh.

Eating was an on-plan day with no snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a bowl of something vegetarian made with serious coconut milk - a gift to DW from a friend. Coconut milk works for me in slightly less quantity, but it was still good and a joy to eat something that someone else made. The cookies still sit on the kitchen counter, so I'm exercising restraint.

onebyone – Kudos for seeing how you can bring comfort to your MIL with "a traditional Hungarian goulash soup and some Irish soda bread" - sounds yummy to me. Congrats on that dropping scale.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos "for lunch which was healthier than what I originally planned." [Thanks for the tip to read Sense and Sensibility on Wiki. That worked. I'm ready for tonight for a version that might expect the audience to already know the work. DW continues with her re-read - not concerned that she won't finish before tonight. She already remembers the plot; she's just reading for the joy of it.]

nationalparker – Yep, it's Kudos for limiting cookies at two - since the whole platter is an option. Methinks this is just the kind of situation that Beck suggests that we give ourselves credit for.

curlyjax - Continuing to hold you and your family in my thoughts. It's good to know that your DH is under expert care - even though you can't be continuously by his side.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

If you always eat sitting down, you've already mastered this important step. However, if you've struggled with your weight and dieted on and off for many years, my guess is that you probably do some eating while standing. You also probably have a tendency to rationalize or perhaps not even notice how much you've eaten. Opportunities to eat while standing up abound.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 70.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #96  
Green Tomatoes

The season of festive foods got me again -- but I don't think it was really 2.5 pounds worth of indulgence. I suspect most of that gain is sodium, so I'll drink lots of water and aim to stick to my plan today.

I have one last set of errands to run this week. I'm going to do it first thing this morning to avoid crowds and because I'm less likely to decide yet another Christmas treat is in order.

Weigh-in: +1.1 kg, Exercise: +40, 800/1200 minutes for December

curlyjax: so sorry that your DH is back in the hospital. I hope they're able to make him more comfortable. Thanks for continuing to share this process with us.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 12-22-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #97  
Enjoying la bella vita

Up and baking soon after 5 a.m. as I fell awake and wasn't going back to sleep. Instead of reading, I decided to get cracking on a few things on my to do list and feel good about that. Unfortunately, my oven (which is only 2-3 years old) decided it was maxing out at 350 this morning. What the heck! It worked OK but I need it to hit the right temps for baking and to hold steady for the lasagna on Christmas. Got double chocolate biscotti loaves baked, will slice and double bake tonight, then dip a few and add a squiggle on others later. Finished up the sugar cookie baking and mixed the Toll House cookies. I think I'll have a nice variety to take to the next gen at home when we fly down there. I think this time, instead of prepping their plates, I might just bring pretty ones and have them assemble what they'd like.

Plans to walk to the theatre downtown to buy tickets look like they'll be thwarted by a rainy day. I don't have rainboots or I'd just slog up there. But as it's a casual Friday and I'm wearing jeans, I suspect I'll be driving up there.

I try to wait until the last day before Christmas to catch our office cleaning lady to give her a card and gift card, because I found if I do it early, she brings something in for me and I don't want her to feel she needs to do that. But then I worry that I'll miss her. It's a balancing act that I spend more time thinking about than warrants.

This morning I woke up DH slowly, chatting about this and that, until he reminded me that he was off today and didn't have to wake up so early! OH! My mind is a sieve.

CurlyJax - While I like the anonymity on this board, I know if I lived near you, I'd be reaching out to meet up so I could at least drop off meals for those at home so it's one less thing to deal with.

Bill - I really like that gold coin idea. A LOT. I should start that tradition here. Our bank would probably be stumped for something like that, though. I was trying to think of something special that DH could start for his grandson now - other than a college 529 savings plan But it would need to be protected from being spent by the baby's mom. I was thinking savings bonds because I was brought up with them, but for those you need to link in the parent or guardian on the online bond account. I'm not comfortable with that. Have you tried the Park Boston app for parking there? They seem to be handier now, as you can extend your time remotely.

OneByOne - SUPER DUPER KUDOS for staying on plan without sugar. I was shocked at how, well, addicted I felt to it after I got off it for months and then indulged. It became obsessive for a bit. Staying on plan without it was way easier than trying to kick it again and again. Artificial sweeteners totally messed with me, too - i wanted to eat sugary stuff when I'd drink a diet pop, etc. The only one I don't have that feeling with is the soda Zevia sweetened with stevia and calorie free. Your soup idea is lovely - that's a great idea!!

Joy - Good luck wrapping up your errands! Do you and your DH have any special traditions like Bill's? I love hearing about those! We set out luminarias, so I hope the snow that's expected still allows that - we'll see how wet it is.

Waving at Silverbirch, FutureFitChick, Maryann!
Old 12-23-2017, 04:31 AM   #98  
in development

Default Good morning!

It's very mild here. In fact, it was too warm last night and I slept rather fitfully. But on with the day.

I collected the vegetables in town yesterday and took myself to a cafe recommended by the DB. Such a good place! The town is only small and the cafe is just lovely. Whilst I was there two Americans came in, he confident that 'it's warm, they have newspapers, there are civilised people here', she a little cold from the fog and perhaps having just met some uncivilised people (we have quite a few). It's a Spanish place, just opened. It used to be Chinese and before that it was a bank.

I managed to spend the afternoon at the office, paying bills and so on. I'm happy that those ends are tied off before the big siege period. The driving around is now over for a few days.

As it's so mild, I plan to spend some time clearing up in the garden. I shan't regret it and everyone will benefit. I'd also like to do some focused exercise. Food - I don't know. I've just had breakfast and was about to put some defrosted berries into my bowl when I thought I saw a snail. Put my glasses on. Yes, a snail. It looked quite healthy and alive, despite having been frozen and chilled for some time. I put it in the compost bin and will inspect it in a moment. For heaven's sake. I had a chopped apple with my muesli instead.

curlyjax, for you and hoping you didn't find a snail in your defrosted berries this morning. Holding you all in my thoughts.

nationalparker, you are a busy bee!

gardenerjoy, good to see you checking in. Credit!

Bill, I quite agree with you about junk chocolate coins. Even the fair trade stuff is bad. In the main, I'm quite hardline about junk food but I've bought some coins this year to dish out to stray young people who end up here. I suppose I'm planning for random events. One bag has already made its way by a circuitous route to someone who was feeling wobbly.

onebyone, thank you for reminding me of goulash. I used to make that a lot. It's now in our immediate future! And soda bread - so good for food emergencies when people turn up and there is no bread. Sounds nice for your MIL.

Right. The sun is up, there is a light breeze. Time to get washed and dressed.

P.S. Any views on Precision Nutrition here?

Last edited by silverbirch; 12-23-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #99  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Vincent van Gogh chops off ear (1888, Arles, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, because, for some reason, DW declared that the volume of dinner was insufficient so it required two snickerdoodles to make a complete meal. I complied, so I met my plan of eating the dinner that DW served. But two cookies aren’t too much for a snack for the day.

The Bedlam Sense and Sensibility performance in the evening exceeded all expectations. Given my expectation that it would be a play about two sisters talking about their feelings about who and whom they would and wouldn't marry, I was ecstatic to get involved in the convoluted staging. We were seated on the other side of the stage from our normal seats. But 'other side' didn't matter since action took place on wheeled furniture that was frequently turning. If you hadn't read the book (or the summary on Wiki) you'd have been lost, particularly since the 21 characters of the story were played by 10 actors who made only the most minor costume changes when switching roles. Males played female parts. Visual puns were inserted that Jane Austen could not have written. Really enjoyed it; glad I went. Regrettably, I may even take a stab at reading the book. DW especially enjoyed hearing the loooong lines spoken, giving life to language that seems so old when read.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, the crowds were out there - smart to avoid them. Kudos for being cool about 2.5 pounds that are just passing by. By-the-by, I can't get my mind around the concept of 'engaged' in Austen's time. That a polite person would NEVER ask if it were so. And that two folks would profoundly disagree on whether it was so. I tried to make myself feel horror that Marianne Dashwood would have allowed John Willoughby (WARNING - NOT SAFE FOR WORK) to snip a locket of her hair while fully dressed sitting in the parlour. It's hard to believe that procreation appears to have happened.

silverbirch – The transition from a bank to a Chinese place to a Spanish place serving food is in a good direction. Around here, the neat places fold as the rents go up and banks move in. Kudos for getting out into your garden despite being December. We're completely shut down here.

nationalparker – I admire your sensitivity to the feelings of the office cleaning lady. Continue to think it neat that you can do all that baking and keep sane. [Nope, haven't tried the Park Boston app; I work diligently to avoid parking in Boston.]

curlyjax - Thinking of you guys today.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

Do you do any of the following?
  • Take free samples of food at the grocery store.
  • Taste food as you prepare meals.
  • Sneak bits of food from someone's plate as you clear the table.
  • Spoon ice cream out of the container or reach into a bag of chips while you're walking around talking on the phone.
  • Take a piece of candy or a pretzel as you walk past the snack jar sitting on a coworker's desk.
  • Nibble on something you see when opening the refrigerator to get something else out.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #100  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is the family gathering. I usually do well by just not eating much at all. Usually, it's not worth it.

But the nephew who is the wine and food connoisseur will be there and contributing to the meal, so it may very well be worth it. So, a big reminder that I only want a taste of all the good things and three bites is more than enough for a taste.

Also, tiny amounts of anything alcohol just to see what it's about -- more, and I will forget all my rules which I will later regret.

Focus on veggies! Focus on people!

We've got snow on the ground this morning -- it's pretty and festive for our celebration day! I can't count on shoveling for exercise, though. By the time we leave, we'll have had more than two hours of sun and above-freezing temperatures. That will take care of what little bit of snow is sticking to hard surfaces.

Weigh-in: +0.35 kg, Exercise: +40, 840/1200 minutes for December

BillBlueEyes: Glad you enjoyed the play and might even consider the book. Austen is wittier than she's given credit for. I find her books start slowly, but given a few more pages than a modern novel, I'll get into the story eventually.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #101  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone- thank you again for thinking of me.
Dh has moved to the less intense cardiac floor, and his kidney output was a little better today. He took a few steps with PT. Still very serious but little improvements. I met with my minister the other day which was helpful.

On the lighter side- for Christmas traditions, we always make these cookie cutouts which really taste just okay, but it’s my grandmothers’s recipe and i crave it each year. They do contain lard(!). This year in the middle of everything my DD has decided she is going to be a vegetarian. So she can’t/wont eat these. And my DS doesn’t really like them. But we made them anyhow! I can always freeze them. The tradition lives on!

Bill- Bedlam looks soooo fun, I may try to sneak down there with a friend who also loves Jane Austen. I would feel a bit guilty for leaving DS at night as he doesn’t like to be alone, but this is a rare opportunity to see something that would take my mind off things, and I know DH would approve of having some fun. I LOVED the Emma Thompson movie.
Silverbirch- I made the mistake of reading your comment to me first before i read the rest of your post. I wondered, snail in the berries, is that some sort of strange British idiom? Then later I read the whole thing and I got it
Old 12-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #102  
persist

Post Nerves

Coaches

I'm tense. I am not a fan of the holidays or family gatherings. Long time feelings get stirred up. What a lot of change in my family even since I joined this group.
What was a pretty big family has dwindled to 5 of us. MIL is not telling us how she's honestly feeling. Her mother never revealed to her, an only daughter who spent three months at her mother's side when she was in the hospital that she had stomach cancer which was revealed to MIL only by accident when a medical chart fell open as MIL moved it off her mother's hospital bed. Her mom was unconsious by then. Her mom never told her never complained and I guess MIL did not push it or thimk to ask. This is her role model. I would rather know the truth. Don't protect me. Tell me.

I expect some kind of bombshell of some sort will be dropped during xmas. I am sure that's why I am tense.

Foodwise still on track but tomorrow I am baking two bundt cakes. A lemon one for my neighbours upstairs and a way over the top chocolate one for us. It's going to be sickly sweet so I am not sure why I am doing it but I really want to. I will have a big piece. I am planning for it. Pre-dinner I need to avoid whatever snacky things are around.

Whatever happens I must get back on track asap. Oh. Just remembered. I am off sugar since Nov 23. One month today. Wow. Do I really want to break that streak?!! I'll have to give that some thought. Tough.

Going now. Tired out.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-23-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:58 PM   #103  
Enjoying la bella vita

I just deleted a frustrated post - it does no one any good to read or for me to write it, I guess. Lasagnas are in the fridge ready to bake on Christmas. I will roast broccoli as soon as they come out of the oven if it will heat up enough to roast the florets with garlic and evoo. Finally made a plan that doesn't include salad.

Dropped off a surprise cookie plate at a coworker's home - he'd jokingly said if I was baking, he'd come in to work instead of taking vacation whichever day that was. I compiled a large one and popped it on his porch and texted him to alert him, since many use garage entrance only. Glad I did that. Found out a neighbor will be alone for a few weeks while his wife is down South with family in January (he'll go down with her and then back again to join her on her return trip). W'll have him over for dinner as well as send some soup over some evenings when I prep some. I need to work to reach out to neighbors in the winter. So often, it's open the garage, rush in, close the door and hunker in our homes.

Even though we're a week out from the new year, I wanted to get DH thinking about what he wanted to add into our lives next year. What were our high points from this year. What are we going to drop/change that we're doing now to open up time/money for what we want to add. I still struggle between frugality (let me save that because I'll need it at some point) and minimalism (clear it out and buy it again if needed). It's so much easier to keep an emptier home clean/tidy, so will continue forward with my work on that front. I'm longing to get pen to journal paper and work some of this out. I'm a list maker from way back, so SOMEHOW I'll make a list for myself for this.

CurlyJax - Your post to SilverBirch cracked me UP! HAHA. Those snails in frozen berries. And SilverBirch - that must've been one surprise to see thaw out!

Bill - How did you think the Lewis and Clark class was as a whole? I keep thinking, "what classes would I want to take one day" and doubt I'll ever find ones as specific as I want. But that one would certainly be on my list.

Joy - I hope your family gathering was a success - good people and good conversation!
Old 12-24-2017, 04:16 AM   #104  
in development

I spent some time in the garden and garden room yesterday which made me feel much better about things. Food was OK. No focused exercise. Sleep last night not as good as it could have been. The DB wanted to talk just as I was about to turn out the light, and it is so warm here my sleep is quite disturbed.

Now time for a joke.

What is bread?

Raw toast!

I have been meaning to tell this joke since Bill had some toast and onebyone talked about her mother and toast bread. I love these pathetic jokes.

curlyjax, sorry about the snail and berries idiom! Hurray for your DH's little improvements! Difficult about DD's sudden vegetarianism. I made quite a good curried parsnip puree/soup yesterday, with leek, tomatoes and some leftover dahl. Had it with hard boiled eggs in it. Shall I teleport it over?

nationalparker, I try to make space when I can as it's so small here. Unfortunately, some of the things I've thrown out are irreplaceable or aren't sold any more. So I'm a bit more careful nowadays, and take my time. I'm thinking about taking my dad's collection of nuts and bolts to the tip. I have just put one of my uncle's big wooden suit hangers in the charity bag.

onebyone, a fair amount of tension here too. Christmas is not a fab time for me, and DB is railing against all the adverts he sees on the internet. I have told myself that sugar won't help. Good luck with MIL.

gardenerjoy, hope the family gathering went well.

Bill, had to google 'snickerdoodle'. Hm, interesting. Any idea why there is the frenzy of cookie baking at Christmas in America? Is it a long tradition?

Right. Time for brekkie. Take it steady out there, friends.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #105  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Verdi's opera Aida premiers at opening of the Suez Canal (1872, Cairo)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Made my journeys to the series of stores where I always, at the last minute, use time pressure to pick up a bunch of stuff to put in the stockings and to wrap as gifts so that the tree looks full. This year everyone will get tissues, cough drops, super-soft pocket tissues, and windshield washer fluid as part of the stash in addition to their real gifts. I wrapped it all up in the reusable cloth bags that I bought a dozen years ago from Patagonia sporting goods store. They'd had a rush of environmental spirit that caused them to stitch all their leftover sleeping bag liners into bags for Christmas wrapping. I bought a bunch; I haven't seen it for sale again. Several are as large as a pillow case; some are just right for one book. Each new person who comes into one of my kids' lives has to be told that they can't take the 'wrapping' home with them - along with a 'dad' eye roll right into the back of their sockets. Everything is wrapped and hauled downstairs to be spread this morning before everyone, including the DGD, arrives for opening of presents followed by dinner. I suspect that the DGD will be the whirlwind in the middle of it all.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi. DW explained that the simple pumpkin soup for dinner was to compensate for all the meat we'll have today with her stuffed pork roll. However, I assigned myself two snickerdoodles to compensate for its very simplicity.

onebyone – Yes, indeed, you've seen many changes in your family in the few years we've been on this forum together. I agree with "Don't protect me. Tell me." Happy one month anniversary away from sugar.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder, "Usually, it's not worth it."

silverbirch – Kudos for recognizing that your DB's desire to talk eclipses your body's need for sleep. These years go by so quickly. LMAO at "Raw toast!"

nationalparker – You're decidedly generous thinking about your neighbors. Kudos for thinking about what you want to accomplish next year. It's so easy to just bumble forward. [The Lewis and Clark class itself was only just OK. The book, Undaunted Courage, was superb and the class did have hearing a thoughtful group of other folks discussing it. It always catches me by surprise what others find in a book that I missed.]

curlyjax - Cheers for the small step in your DH's situation; being away from 'intensive' is a big plus. Oops for becoming the sole consumer of your grandmother's cookies. It was a big blow to my brain when I was told that cookies contained lard - the very reason that they're so good. [Do hope you make it to Bedlam's Sense and Sensibility. There were two large blocks of empty seats at our performance, which surprised me.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

When you think about it now, I'm sure you recognize that all calories add up. But at the moment you're actually eating, you might rationalize what you're doing with the sabotaging though, It won't matter if I eat this.

Closed Thread