Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 05:23 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Men fly over Paris in hot air balloon (1783)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Short visit to a Harvard museum with a Natural Philosophy exhibit. Before the scientific revolution, that's what science was called. There was an amazingly complex mechanical solar system that contained parts that were built by Paul Revere. Unfortunately, it never worked. But it's a sight to behold. My gratitude to all the scientific folks making contributions before Galileo and Newton helped sort out scientific thinking.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks and few temptations. Lunch was the leftover rotisserie chicken that I paired with tortilla chips. It was an amazingly bad combination - both were dry, dry, dry. It would need gobs of mayonnaise to make it work. But, by this time I was upstairs and the fridge was on the first floor. I could have expended the dozen calories to fetch it. And then add a few hundred calories to lunch. A rare case where lazy won and lazy was the better path. Thank goodness I'm not one of those types who overthink things, LOL.

onebyone – Beautifully put, "burned out by people people people and I am peopled out!" Good luck finding your daily act of self care to help you go forward.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Super Kudos for fighting "I don't care" - it can easily just slip in unnoticed. Hope the meeting with high confrontational possibilities went OK.

FutureFitChick – Can't wait to hear how you handle being in two places at once. Smart to recognize that you have to prioritize your job search tasks.

nationalparker – That Raphael movies does look neat - getting you into places that you normally can't be a tourist. Kudos for getting fresh batteries as a small step in self care.

Readers -
Quote:
day 2 Pick Two Reasonable Diets

It doesn't matter whether a diet directs you to consume certain combinations of food; to eat prescribed meals; or to count calories, grams, or predetermined numbers assigned to foods. The bottom line is that you'll still be taking in a limited number of calories. Researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture have determined that most people who don't vigorously exercise need to pare down their daily consumption to between 1,400 and 1,500 calories to lose weight. In fact, in a review of popular diets published in the journal Obesity Research, researchers found that the daily meal plans of several current popular diets each contain roughly 1,500 calories.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 63.
Men fly over Paris in hot air balloon (1783)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

I'm pleased with the choices that I made yesterday. Credit! That wouldn't have happened if I hadn't talked it all out here. Thank you!

Today's self-care includes planning the week. I got it mostly done on Sunday, so it shouldn't take too long. I'm a full two days behind my writing goal for November and it's getting late in the month! But, I could spread the catch-up over the week and still have a chance. The rest of the week will be much easier for me than yesterday.

Weigh-in: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +45, 815/1200 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes: I got DH excited about going to Cambridge, England when I discovered this museum: Whipple Museum of the History of Science
Old 11-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #108  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quick post to say that I am definitely fatigued. I am getting the pains in the side of my head that mean I need more sleep. I am trying to get more but the sleep tank is obviously pretty low.

Was taken out for lunch after meeting a new client this morning. Nice building, nice view, horrible food. I've avoided going to this place as I thought the food would be grim - and it was.

gardenerjoy, I spent three years as an undergraduate going up and down the staircase next to the Whipple Museum. It's a fabulous museum in a great building. You'll both love it.

Look after yourself, everyone. I'll be getting in bed early and switching the light off early - and that's a promise.

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-21-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Blissfully sitting by my window watching Fall! The pecan picking party was a success as usual when the day is stunning. A few less people made it more enjoyable for me. But the schedule of activities over the last week have been torturous. I have given myself ALL DAY to putter, tidy, straight, do the small things that calm me down. That is my self care - space and time with no people in my home.

I went to the Shrink with DH (which induced a tremendous anxiety attack). We laid out a plan of medication that gives me some hope. She listen to my ideas on what to start. I had done research on the disheartening list of "mood stabilizer' drugs. Only one was considered weight neutral. It has actually been studied for a weight loss aid. She agreed we could try that one first. What would it be like to have a medication that actually works in conjunction with weight loss efforts. The first step was to get sleeping and I slept 9 hours last night. That is a good start.

onebyone: Thanks for the reminder that my food plan works immediately when I do it. I am one meal away from feeling better. Right now the ticker is up 3 pounds but that is reasonable considering trial and error and all the festivities.

Wednesday is designated school work day. Thursday family comes in and Saturday morning is the first trial practice hike for Whitney: Stinson Beach to Mt. Tamalpais.

Last edited by maryann; 11-21-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #110  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Waiting for DH to get home - working overtime again. I'm making black bean soup - pretty aromatic (onion/garlic) - leftovers will provide a break from turkey later in the week, as well. Should we need a break Found my potatoes at a store this afternoon but three stores later, I still can't find regular reddi-whip (I can find peppermint, but bleh). Don't want coolwhip - it's just a bit too chemically made but would have liked a bit of reddi whip. If not, I'll buy whipping cream and make it the night before and just be set.

Dinner and breakfast will be on plan, but lunch was NOT - it was a $1.99 slice of pizza instead of what I brought in. Weak. I wish that one time when I got one, that it was terrible - that it was greasy or too thick crust or cold or something that would put me off that. But then I come back to the sabotaging thought that it's every few weeks and can I seriously not stray from plan (or have it be my plan) every few weeks with that?

Aiming for personals in the morning ... I want to get dishes cleaned up so dinner will not last late into the evening. Time for lime in the soup!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:16 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - R.I.P. President John F. Kennedy (1963, Dallas, Texas)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to take pictures of the construction site that will become three condos. There's something funny about the concrete footing that was poured. Perhaps my DS can explain it tomorrow at Thanksgiving dinner.

Eating was on plan without snacks, CREDIT moi. Lunch was the last (sixth) meal from the rotisserie chicken. To solve the dry problem, I added just the faintest touch of mayonnaise. It only took a little dab to give the illusion that it wasn't a dry old bird. I have no plans to go anywhere near a grocery store today, expecting that kind of uber madness that happens just before a major holliday.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Hope that an easier week arrives with less external expectations. [Whipple Museum is definitely my kind of place; on the Bucket List it goes.]

silverbirch – Yep, sleep matters. Ouch for being taken to lunch but facing "grim" food.

maryann - Kudos for making your own plan for meds. And Kudos for a full night's sleep.

nationalparker – Methinks it'd be great to be your neighbor to enjoy the aromatic soups and garlic from your kitchen. In my world, sticking to a single slice of pizza would be worthy of Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
All diets enable weight loss
in the same way
- by getting you
to eat fewer calories.
R.I.P. President John F. Kennedy (1963, Dallas, Texas)
Old 11-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #112  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday went according to plan -- credit.

Today, my unusual chore is for the neighborhood. We share a dead-end street with three neighbors and the culvert under it has collapsed. This happened months ago and it's taken forever to learn everything that we needed to know to figure out how to handle the road repair. We finally have a proposal from a contractor that everyone agrees to. Now, I need to get a signature from each of the neighbors so that the contractor can proceed.

This project has gone much more quickly since I took charge. The community organizing skills that I've developed the last three years made the difference. Until this came up, I hadn't really thought about them as a transferable skill set.

Otherwise, my day can be about writing and cooking -- mostly the normal cooking for me, but I'll also make cranberry-applesauce for tomorrow's festivities.

Weigh-in: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +30, 845/1200 minutes for November

silverbirch: Glad to see you back here. I hope you got some sleep and that you're feeling better today. Thanks for the insider information about the Whipple Museum.

maryann: I'm glad that the pecan picking party went well. Good luck with the medication.

nationalparker: I go back and forth on whether one slice of pizza now and then works for me. At the moment, I'm declaring that it does as long as it's accompanied by a salad.

BillBlueEyes: I'm avoiding the grocery stores today, too. If all goes well, I won't leave the house except for a walk and to visit the neighbors.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #113  

Good Morning, Coaches.

gardenerjoy: Those organizing skills are in short supply and high demand these days. Good for you for yr generosity with them in many different types of situations.

BBE: Yr chicken meals reminds me of the homemaker blogs I was reading in my days as a "mostly" stay at home mom. My favorite was "how to feed your family for a week on one chicken." I am glad I know how to do that now but am VERY glad I don't HAVE to do it. I wonder how I would have done with victory gardens and ration tickets.

nationalparker: Who doesn't need a little Reddiwhip ?

I have a food plan that if followed will be exactly 40 30 30. I will make a game of it. I will follow it precisely and see how it feels. I need a strict day. I am at a top weight of four pounds above ticker. Much higher and I will need some new clothes. This is a good incentive. I don't want to ruin my pledge. I have faithfully kept to my "no new clothes" year except for replacement exceptions and shoes. It has been fun to "closet shop for three months. Life is so much easier with fewer clothes that are both becoming and work for me.

I did take advantage of pre black Friday cyber deals, though, to get some underthings ( never fun to buy) and ( sadly) pajamas. I tried to mend mine AGAIN (I have loved them for four years) but the cloth was so thread-bare it disintegrated. So DH will miraculously produce a pair for my bday ( he loves it when I help him shop for me especially already wrapped) and I bought a travel pair online. That is exciting because I will be all over the state.

So credit for planning to travel, making games out of goals and constantly being willing to try new things.

Happy pre TDAY everybody - the craziest day of the year.

Last edited by maryann; 11-22-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #114  
Enjoying la bella vita

Almost done with the cooking and baking for today ... have been stopping off and on to get more office work done. I have a couple more hours of it until I'm done. I'm debating on baking a small recipe of almond biscotti or snicker doodles. The cookies I can send home with everyone. DH stopped for the reddi whip on his way home, thinking he'd be in and out. I had told him it'd be a mess, but he still tried to run into Wal Mart. Two hours later he got home with that and some pjs.

Maryann - I had to smile with your pjs story - Just this morning my DH was saying that my pjs were pretty threadbare - did I want to buy new ones? i bought these in 2009! If you pull on them, I know they'll split. I have heavier, warmer ones that I got on clearance at Gander Mountain when it closed down ($7) but now that it's only in the 20s, these are warm enough. I had to look up travel pjs.

Bill - Well done on the rotisserie chicken. Do you make chicken stock from the bones? I don't but want to start doing it on occasion. I'll start with the turkey, I guess.

Joy - What skills that you've learned over the past few years have surprised you the most? Either that they're so effective or that you didn't expect yourself to be doing them?
Old 11-23-2017, 06:24 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - U.S. Thanksgiving

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Chase the DGD day, CREDIT moi, nearly exhausted from the constant chatter back and forth. Every sentence we say is repeated. "We're going to the playground now." "It's raining outside." "I'm going to carry my umbrella." She discovered, absolutely on her own, how to splash in a puddle. It doesn't detract from the wonder that she is the zillionth kid on the planet to make this discovery. I hope all the rest had the sheer joy that she expressed while splashing. DW read Silly Sally another three times in the car. DGD turned the book upside down so that Silly Sally would be right-side up. DW couldn't read the words that way but, to her chagrin, had memorized the whole book so continued right along. I, ungraciously, am tired of Silly Sally walking to town backwards, upside down.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. The effort came in the evening when the house filled with the smells of a pumpkin pie baking. It wasn't hunger that I felt, but desire to consume whatever was making that yummy aroma. I'll plan to have some today at Thanksgiving dinner. My goal is to have a reasonable dessert - meaning not a full slice of each pie and each cake.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for community skills. Consider coming out our way to run for governor. Or mayor. Or whatever - skilled politicians seem to be few. "Cranberry-applesauce " sounds good.

maryann - Now that's a good approach, "I will make a game of it." [Yep, a full week from one chicken would be a challenge.]

nationalparker – Reddi whip and pjs is a Walmart type of shopping list. Glad that your DH got out of the store even in two hours. Both almond biscotti and snicker doodles would be a big test for me - I love them both. [No, we don't do stock these days; I fondly remember the aromas.]

Readers -
Quote:

Two Kinds of Diets

There are two kinds of diets: One type encourages you to follow a set eating plan, which provides a detailed prescription for meals and snacks. The other type is a counting system, which allow you to design your own meals and snacks - as long as you stay within a certain number of calories, carbohydrates, or assigned numbers.

There are pros and cons to both types.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #116  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday didn't go as planned, but my food was close enough to plan, anyway. Credit.

Today, I will follow my usual festive event plan -- focus on the veggies, tiny portions of any thing else I want, talk to people. I'm also going to remember that I get a real kick out of a drop on the scale on the day after a holiday. No guarantees that I can make that happen, but it might be just the thought that helps me keep my serving sizes small.

I also have a plan to enjoy two short exercise sessions. One before the festivities begin and one after.

Today, I'm grateful for each of you. This group is the foundation of all my self-care skills.

Weigh-in: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +30, 845/1200 minutes for November

maryann: I like game-making for goals. That works really well for me, especially at a moment when a kick-start would help.

nationalparker: The biggest skill has been the courage to talk to people, even when I don't think they want to hear what I have to say. It turns out that no one bites my head off. And, I've actually managed to develop real friendships with the people I complain to the most. If I were putting it on a resume, I supposed I'd say that I have the skill to speak truth to power. That's something I never expected to achieve -- partly because I didn't realize that it's simply a combination of courage and diplomacy.

BillBlueEyes: My unexpected chore yesterday was watching DGN for a couple of hours. He's finally decided that sentences have some use. He knows 36 dinosaurs by sight. My current gendered linguistic theory is that boys have a need to inventory the world and girls have a need to communicate.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave to all and happy thanksgiving! we spent 7 hours in the h ospital yesterday, being at first sent to the wrong one, and the endless waiting game. DH had another endoscopy which showed stomach looks "fine" for him so that is good, no new obstacles. he's back on the supplemental nutrition. Had a terrible night last night with much vomiting. Today i am thankful that he's alive and that we have a dedicated team who are investigating the next chemo and navigating the evil insurance companies for us.
Sorry to be a downer! I'm also thankful for my cheerful DS who will help me make pie and chop veggies. I'm determined those who can eat will have a nice little meal and i will enjoy spending the day cooking. So grateful for this group too!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #118  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I echo gardenerjoy. I am grateful for all of you. I joined seven years ago and know that during that period I have been able to lose a little and maintain in a world that is gaining steadily. I have found peace throughout. Thank you.

I will also now take a little walk after reading the suggestion here. I will do a little work. I will visit a little with family but for the first time I am taking my own car. I will not expect myself to socialize too much during this period of adjustment with meds etc. . . Thank goodness for an understanding DH and DS. They are the best. Ironically I am carrying the 13 pies to the event. But my plan is to have none. I have a very sparse plan because I will again make a game of MFP. I am motivated to keep food clean for today. Good news is DH big family t-day feels like a cafeteria so nothing ever looks good.

curleyjax: you and yr family continue to be an inspiration to me.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #119  
Enjoying la bella vita

Another Thanksgiving with DH's family come and gone. I said next year, we're going to Cracker Barrel. And I wasn't completely joking. DH couldn't agree fast enough. His brother literally spoke 12 words the entire time, five of which were, "I ain't talkin' about work." when my DH asked how things were going because he works where DH worked for nearly 30 years. After everyone left, DH came inside and said the next time you say I should invite him, the heck with that. Oh well. He left the table while everyone was still chatting and nibbling to take a nap. This couldn't be more different than my family we all enjoy sobremesa as the best part of the gathering. No food plan other than not wanting to be overly full. Enjoyed some dessert and a bit of limeade, too. Main meal at 2 p.m. and a sandwich tonight.

I, too, am very thankful for all of you here - your support, (non judging of the fact that I can't get it together!), tips, ideas, and the sharing of your lives, worries and kudos. Thank you.

CurlyJax - I'm so sorry that it was such a rough day and evening. After my brother's endoscopies, they've each hit his gut so hard, pain, etc. Was your DH's vomiting related or not specifically to the test? I hope your care team finds a workable solution pronto.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Darwin publishes Origin of Species (1859, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Thanksgiving dinner was a success, CREDIT moi. A success because I expand the amount I plan to eat (as Beck suggests) and seek to avoid the stuff-myself mentality of days of yore. I served myself one plate, totally avoiding seconds that were happening from the cornucopia on the table. I observed my SIL frying the turkey since it only took an hour. Can't help but notice how easily a ten gallon pot of peanut oil and turkey could have been knocked over. But it was the juiciest turkey I've ever had even though they had purchased a frozen bird.

The entire day was dominated by the presence of the two-year-old DGD. She's a delight with the fortunate ability to spend time with each of the adults one-on-one so that the others could interact. It's neat to watch her interact with different adults. The planned walk before the dessert course didn't happen. I met my goal of having "a reasonable dessert" by having a half-slice of an almond cake and avoiding the pumpkin pie. Separate CREDIT moi for avoiding an opportunity for overindulgence. It felt good to leave the event 'satisfied' instead of 'stuffed'.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sounds like a good plan. [Interesting "current gendered linguistic theory." I got to observe the DGD communicate non-stop. Now that she can do sentences, they just keep coming. It's the little things like, "I'll be right back" that crack me up. Still admiring your DGN's 36 dinosaurs.]

maryann - LOL at the thought of you transporting 13 pies with a plan to have none. Kudos for thinking to take your own car so that you can honor your needs.

nationalparker – Had to google sobremesa - what a neat concept. Yep, it's the best part of the meal. Congrats for surviving your DH's brother; relatives are an opportunity to develop our own patience.

curlyjax - Kudos for being able to be grateful within all the hospitals, waiting, and "evil insurance companies." And cheers to your DS who can make a pie.

Readers -
Quote:

Set Eating Plans
Pros: You don't have many choices. For some people, having a lack of choices is easier to deal with, especially initially. You can just tell yourself, No candy at all, and abide by this rule. Because you know what you're going to eat every day, you don't need to expend much mental energy on finding recipes or choosing foods.
Cons: This inflexibility can create a mindset of "good" foods and "bad" foods. If you slip and eat a bad food or something not on the meal plan, you might think that you've blown your diet and, therefore, might as well keep eating bad food for the rest of the day and start your diet again tomorrow. Another disadvantage is that you might not be able to sustain a set eating plan for the long term. Plus, with little or no flexibility, this type of plan doesn't allow for uncontrollable food circumstances, such as eating out or going on vacation.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 64.
Closed Thread