Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #46  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

karenrn "Tornado Weather" Deborah E. Kennedy -

Truthfully the 6 week thing is probably more me than dh. He grew up on a 1 week rotation except for special occasions. His mom never had to make a shopping list because she made exactly the same meals every week. I get bored easily. The 6 week was made up mostly of meals that were from my freezer co-op. So they are handy in that I can do a certain amount of pre-prep in large quantities. Which is good for when I have my 100 hour workweeks which happens often enough. But we have been eating basically those recipes for probably 10 years and we're just done with some of them. I'm in an activity lull right now, we are almost always able to eat dinner together for a few weeks, so that is a good time to experiment. Once fall sports start up again I usually have to have dinner ready by 3 and different people eat anywhere from 3 pm to 10 pm. Also, I lost my menus when foodplanner went under - I have the recipes, but not in a database, so I need to rebuild anyway so it is a good time to work in some new stuff.

Last edited by ennay; 08-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #47  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good afternoon, all! It's been a very busy weekend but wanted to carve out time to check in. Waiting for DH to show up from the hardware store, so we can have lunch. I made homemade chicken tortilla soup, a double batch this time. I cut up a small watermelon and another melon that looks like a cantaloupe but isn't, but it looks and tastes like a fragranced cantaloupe. It was cheap, but tastes a bit odd. This comes after buying a very cheap seedless watermelon that is "ehh" at best. I had to regroup and realize every bite doesn't need to be delicious. I'm antsy to get onto the project and wrap up the bedroom and closet today. The closet has a built in shelf unit that was built into the wall and the floor, so if we wanted to remove it, both would need major repairs. It doesn't look wonderful but it is very handy, so i opted to keep it vs. doing more "magazine" looking ones. Why fix it if it's not broken. I think DH was happy.

I've been reading a lot of the financial independence/retire early books and a few well-written blogs for a while now and it's been exciting to see finances growing (well, not with the home improvement projects, but at least we're saving by doing what we can ourselves). I read in one to take three colors of post-its and have one be "DO" ... one be "BE" and one be "HAVE" ... I love this idea to see if the hours that you spend in a day actually reflect what you want to do, have or be in life. Granted, we all must clean, cook, do laundry, etc., but in the other hours, what do we do to further ourselves along the path we say we want to take and to achieve what is important to us. I want to learn mosaics one year, be able to sew what I want to sew, be more well-rounded in my reading material/more well-read, learn more art history, travel, camp, be more generous, a better gardener - most of mine are be/do vs. have ... but I think "have gorgeous gardens" also fits - it doesn't have to be something I'm buying to have it, etc. I want to have relaxing evenings in candlelight in the winter, so to do that i need to tackle chores earlier, etc. I am going to really put some thought into my lists and see where that gets me. Just popped it in here in case it triggered with anyone else. Some things I have to work for to have down the line ... I want a small greenhouse, for example, but now is not the time.

I know I've been slacking on personals, but don't want to miss posting.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #48  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

nationalparker thanks for the post. Yeah, I need that trigger...I have to see if I can get things back on track in my whole life, right now is a mess!
Old 08-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #49  
anniemaxx

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199.9

Height: 5'3"

This is the California Farms almond milk
Comes in about 5 flavors
Old 08-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #50  
anniemaxx

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199.9

Height: 5'3"

sorry file wont upload
Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #51  
Enjoying la bella vita

Is it the Califia Farms almond milk?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #52  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning. It's taking me a while to get back onto an even keel after our trip to the North East. And I'll be off to the South West in a few days. I'm rethinking my diet as high fat, low carb does not seem to be working for my digestion. I don't have the time to follow anything complicated so I'm thinking about smaller helpings of our usual meals. I think I eat fairly sensibly most of the time so this could work. As long as I get enough sleep.

We are wondering about getting a multi-cooker. It could be good for us and it could be good for the DB when he goes to university and might have to live in dodgy flats (trsl: slightly unsavory apartments). Any experience of them? Multi-cookers, I mean, but dodgy flat experience also welcome!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #53  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - The wooden raft Kon-Tiki completes journey (1947, Pacific reef)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. One of the home renovation sites we're monitoring has installed underground snow-melting pipes in the driveway leading down to the garage. Ouch! It seems like such a HUGE waste of energy melting snow with heated liquid. I haven't looked up the actual costs, but it can't be small. Naturally, I'll think of them when I'm out shoveling snow this winter.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. I had too many snacks at Happy Hour; I might do better calling it Fellowship Hour as the others do, LOL. Dinner was cold pasta salad with deviled eggs on the patio. I do like this summer thing.

silverbirch – Not sure what you mean by 'multi-cooker' - but I'd probably not be experienced with it if I did, LOL. My notion of 'dodgy flats' is that you should make the bathroom plumbing work well even if you have to replace stuff yourself; other parts that are run-down are easier to ignore.

nationalparker – Kudos for taking your retirement with financial independence seriously. A greenhouse is a lovely thought.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, walking with a goal is more fun. I wish there was someone in this family who liked to wash cars.

curlyjax - Splitting a sandwich and cookie is a smart way to have lunch - Kudos.

ennay - Congrats to your SIL for her recommendation by Oprah Magazine. Neat to have six different weeks of meals planned. Family members eating "anywhere from 3 pm to 10 pm" seems like a major challenge.

anniemaxx - Need your help figuring out "chgo toerries" - maybe it's a food I need to try.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

A Great Example of Helpful Thinking

Emma had lost more than 40 pounds when I counseled her many years ago. I hadn't heard from her in more than 10 years when she called to say hello. She told me that she had maintained her weight loss with comparative ease. I asked her if she still had sabotaging thoughts and, if so, what she did about them. Emma thought for a moment and gave me the following example: About two weeks prior to the phone call, Emma was tempted by sticky buns that someone had left on the counter in the office kitchenette. Most days, she would have ignored them completely, but she was particularly hungry that day. She knew if she tried to eat just a small piece of this high-fat, high-carbohydrate food, she would want more. During the next few hours, she had lost of thoughts: I'm hungry. They look so good. I'd really like to have one.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 31.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #54  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning Coaches

I am confused with my days. It feels like it is a Sunday. I am going to relax as if it is. My new eating plan is going well and seems rather simple. I have been walking every day for at least 60 minutes and it doesn’t seem like it because I have been walking with DH and we chat and the time goes by fast. DGD was over yesterday and we were outside and she kept pulling up my shirt and showing my belly. I have no clue why. It will be incentive for me to lose weight…haha.

Bill- it does seem odd to heat your driveway, although I am sure when I am shoveling snow this winter, I will remember this.

Curlyjax- How admirable for your daughter to want to be a teacher. They shape the minds of our future leaders and work so very hard. I am so thankful for some of DS’s teachers. They sure make a difference. I was drinking coffee while reading your comment ‘there is no way she is living at home’, I spit my coffee out laughing.

Anniemaxx – you are doing awesome and that is great you are not so focused on the scale and congratulations for building confidence.

Ennay – I am truly in awe of your meal planning. There is a site the dietician told me about to help me. https://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/MenuPlanner.aspx

Karen – How sweet Otis greeting everyone on his walk back to the Condo. I sometimes walk to the grocery store and buy a fruit on my walk so that it seems like I really have a destination.

Nationalparker- I remember reading about people retiring and not feeling like they had a purpose. When I read that years ago, I started volunteering so that I would have a purpose when I decided to retire. I have volunteered for many years and I find it so rewarding. I get so much out of it.

Silverbirch - Welcome back and enjoy your next journey.

Have a great day and hello to everyone.

Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 08-07-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #55  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Otis and I had a walk in the beautiful 79 degree lower humidity weather this morning. Boy what a treat to be cooler. Tomorrow we'll go for a longer walk.
Yesterday I saw "The Big Sick". I loved it. I know I am less critical than others as far as movies go, but this was a really good one. I'm thinking of going to another this afternoon. Otis is usually so tired after a morning at the office that he wouldn't care if he took a nap and I went to the movies. I'm doing well with my no alcohol August and since I started in July I have 8 days down. It is like no big deal. I'm hoping it will continue to be no big deal. It's kind of like sweets with me. If I don't have any I don't care, but once I have one I want one daily.

Bill That sounds like a lot of area to cover in order to melt the snow from a driveway. The deviled eggs sound so good. I think I need to make those soon.

Silverbirch It seems like smaller portions of good healthy food would be a great plan to follow. Does the high fat diet put a person in Ketosis to prevent hunger or what is the advantage?

Anniemaxx Is the almond milk you like different from other brands of almond milk? We have one that is unsweetened and unflavored and one that is vanilla flavored and then there are the sweetened varieties. I usually just use the plain unsweetened.

Nationalparker Your retirement ideas are an inspiration. I'm never going to have beautiful gardens here, but your sewing makes me think about getting back to my quilting. I saved my supplies and fabric and even have one project that is nearly completed. I would also love to learn more art history and checked in to taking a class at the community college. In Washington they give a break on tuition, but not here. I know there are many other ways to learn though.

Ennay Thanks for the name of your sister's book. I've saved it. 100 hour work weeks. Truly I cannot imagine. I would be a walking zombie. I wouldn't just need meal prep, I would need someone else to do all of it.

Otis knows we are leaving soon and he's starting to talk to me about it. I think he wants to be sure I don't forget him. This morning my friend, Carrie, who I backpack with, is coming to my class at the gym. She lives on the other side of the valley about 35 minutes away, but can't find a class similar in her area. I'll let you know how that goes.

Well I'd better get a move on. Have a great day!

Last edited by karenrn; 08-07-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #56  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Morning coaches!

I am just wiped today and I am not sure why. I dont feel like I did much yesterday, we all went to the lake, but as it turns out the puppy is not a big fan so I mostly just held his leash while the rest of the family did lake stuff. Maybe the sun, but my body feels like I did a full workout.

I'm behind on my coffee today...too tired to make it but I think it is ready now.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Caught up on the posts. Everybody has given me lots of food for thought (pardon the pun):

gardenerjoy: I also am allowing myself a generous plan until Wednesday. And by generous I mean loaded with sugar. I ate much smaller portions, however, and followed the Beck rule of leaving food on my plate. Today I will focus on sitting down while I eat. I am not happy about the scale number of four pounds above ticker. Stlll, I have a plan for today.

karenRN: Look forward to hearing about your friend's daughter's experience. I am off to Target to buy sugarfree butterscotch pudding. I use a protein drink called Evolve because I can't do the Whey or Soy. Evolve uses pea protein. It is 3 points but worth it.

silverbirch: A little research tells me your multi cooker is like a programmable pressure cooker. I chose a stove top version of the pressure cooker after reading America's Top Kitchen article on the subject. I bought the Duo pressure cooker. It is a great heavy pot that is dishwasher safe and has multi uses. The top is handwash but easy to clean. I was afraid of using pressure cookers but this is easy to learn and simple for weekday meals. I do all pasta dishes in it now because it is one pot and quick. Beans are done in a few minutes and grains (like the sorghum I am trying to use up) are done in a fraction of the time. I can use frozen veggies in it as well. I still use my slow cooker for a few things so one doesn't replace the other. The recipe book that I bought to go with it is Pressure Cooker Perfection by America's Test kitchen.

I am binge reading Louise Penny's Lt. Gamache series. But I remembered the second to the last Sue Grafton is almost out. I am going to have to start monitoring my kindle expenses. Drat!

Last edited by maryann; 08-07-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #58  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

BBE we have a very steep city street near here that has the pipes/heating system. I think it might be worthwhile on very very steep driveways where shoveling could be hazardous and getting home from work into your garage so you CAN shovel nearly impossible. But it doesnt often get very cold here so it wouldnt need to combat serious cold to keep the driveway thawed - even house temp H2O would do it. But I imagine so the pipes dont burst you have to keep it running all the time?

maryannmmmm I love butterscotch pudding.

silverbirch The high fat low carb messed with my digestion in a big way and it got worse over time. I'm what I call middle/middle/middle now. Not high fat, but not low fat. Not high protein....etc.

Last edited by ennay; 08-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #59  
Enjoying la bella vita

A profitable day here. I finally (!) have decided to release my quite large baseball card collection. I asked someone at my work who has two sports-loving sons if they'd like it. He looked at me in shock - one had just said yesterday that he wanted to start collecting baseball cards. I could not believe it. I can't believe it was mere coincidence - we'd never talked about that before. He asked me how much I wanted for the collection and i said I just wanted to pass it on to someone who'd enjoy it. I'm saving my 65 Topps out of it, and a few personal favorite players' cards, but the rest is in my trunk ready to pass on. DH seemed in shock but the truth is, yes, there is considerable value if I had years to sell it as I wanted to ... but I don't want to take years to do that. Many, many commons and a lot of unopened wax packs that will be fun for the guy to check out, more than his kids since they won't know many of these players. SO a sense of pride that I was able to part with something that really meant a lot to me - I was collecting them when I first became a sports writer, that era of my life - the memories of interviews early on in my career (Rico Petrocelli, remember him, Bill?)

OP day, except for two pieces of salt water taffy and a chocolate covered dried out pretzel. I can live with that.

Off to get the kitchen cleaned up as DH works on the bedroom trim, so we can move furniture back in before bedtime, hopefully! Thanks, everyone, for being here day after day! I miss everyone's updates on the days when I don't get around to reporting in. You all reinforce that I can do what I set my mind to do.

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-08-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #60  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Wobble and recover

Coaches

Just a before-bed phone update from me. Doing well in spite of a wobble here and there. All of a sudden my printmaking event is breathing down my neck. Major organising and mobilization of volunteers happening this week. Yikes. Food is usually pretty good for me during stressful times. It's when it's over that I have to watch out. So for now I'm on plan. I'm writing things down, planning ahead, and superfocused about staying on plan. Credit for all that.

Extra credit this weekend for throwing away four bags of garbage. My two week "throwing things into the bin at the studio" plan has also begun. Credit.

Have a good night.
Closed Thread