Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #151  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,

Today was mostly on plan. I decided to walk tonight instead of in the morning. It has cooled off so no headache for me. I took DGD to the beach and she had fun going down the slide and playing in the water. I was worried she may get cool but she was running around with the big kids so that did not happen. She was exhausted by the time DS came to pick her up.

Onebyone - it was so nice to see a post from you. Isn't it amazing how our loved ones can make things happen when they are no longer physically with us. It is so nice to hear all the great things happening for you. Hugs and take care.

Joy - Way to go staying on plan even with the coffee meeting changing your day. I found tonight was not humid so while I was out after 5 it was not difficult on me.

Karen - I enjoy Panera but have not gone there since eating on plan again. I like their coffee. I couldn't even imagine how hot it is for your an Otis in the summer.

Silverbirch - great idea to measure your waist. I should try that because I get frustrated if the scale fluctuates when I have been on plan. Credit to you for working in the garden instead of procrastinating on that job

Hello to everyone else and have a great night.

Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-23-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in from Baltimore. My sister moved hear three months ago to a nice house on the Chesapeake. The travel day was not great. I seem to have re injured my back and took some pain med that tore up my stomach. I have been overeating with foods I think will help but mostly just not caring. Weight ballooned up two pounds. So I declare kitchen is closed. I have bought standard breakfast and treat. I will track my food starting today.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 07-23-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #153  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm ready for a weekend! Just stopped a few minutes ago on the projects, just in time for the sun to set here. DH finished up the flooring in the hall/laundry area and it looks nice. I have been trying to buy the quarter round and get it sanded and stained before he needs the next batch, but I've been mixing the shade from two stain shades as needed. I do want to go back over the earlier ones and darken them up a bit when we get done with the rest of the house. Stayed on plan with meals today, with exception of some mozzarella in our turkey burgers tonight; they're topped with bruschetta mix and quite tasty. In-between meal snacks, though, were NOT on plan - two pieces of salt water taffy, which I clearly needed, chocolate, again, clearly needed, etc. The longer I go, the higher my weight climbs. Joy, you're right - back on track sooner rather than later. SO ... that said - tomorrow will be Day 1 again of that Fast Metabolism Diet. BUT I already know tomorrow will be a huge issue because we have an all-day annual meeting at work, and the lunch is boxed lunches of sandwiches, chips, etc., and each year we joke we need a sweet treat in the afternoon, I bought two trays of specialty large cupcake varieties to bring in for the crew. They're in the fridge now and they're driving me bonkers. Luckily you can see if one has been taken, so that's keeping me from taking one. I will bring a knife so folks can cut them up for tastes of different ones ... or just take an entire one. Before when I did the FMD and she says NO SUGAR (except for natural sugar in fruits), I ate NO SUGAR. Now I'm thinking, Hmmmm... a little is close to "no" ... why am I sabotaging myself before I even get started?

Momentum in either direction speeds our progress; unfortunately right now it's progressing in the wrong direction.

Good to read everyone's updates ... I hope to get drawn along with everyone on their momentum forward.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #154  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Monday

Yesterday went very well. A plan, exercise, some business admin and a few other things. I was not in charge of tea. At no point did I feel I wanted/needed to eat off plan - so that is a huge step forward. It's how I used to feel and behave when I was losing weight so that's very good.

I liked gardenerjoy's list of practices. This is what I'm doing:
  • measure waist and weigh myself, and I'm now writing this down
  • make a plan for the day including what I/we am/are going to eat, exercise and broad outlines for the other things
  • go for a walk after lunch
  • switch out the light by 10.30pm (mostly), 11pm at the very latest.
nationalparker, No Sugar worked so well for you before. Did you have to buy the cupcakes for the crew? Would someone else have done that or would something else have done instead? Then you could really start to get rid of sugar in your life perhaps.

maryann, hope things start to even out. Travel does shake one up.

Ann, 'running around with the big kids' sounds such fun for your DGD. Glad you all had a nice time.

gardenerjoy, oh yes - all those changes of clothing, I know! I'm finding not overloading my plan helps me concentrate on getting things actually done, even if the scheduling has to change.

karenrn, good work on not slipping into a sweet every day. When the SO cooks (usually Wed, Sat and Sun) he always asks me if what he plans will be all right for me. I usually just have whatever the protein is and vegetables. If his suggestion is borderline to me, then I just have a little.

onebyone, excellent to hear from you and to hear about all these good things happening. Wonderful news.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #155  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

It's a very strange morning here. Only 76 degrees right now and pouring rain. Otis and I got out for a 30 minute walk just after 5, but it did start to sprinkle on us so I cut it short. I do have a rain jacket here, but it's just too warm and humid to put it on except if I have to take him out to potty. Supposedly we are only going to get to 90 degrees today, which is at least 10 degrees below normal.

Food was back on plan yesterday after my treats on Saturday. Dh's weight is the lowest it has been since he did the Canadian Ironman in about 1995. He's not trying to lose in any big hurry, but would like to lose another 5 pounds or so. He does go to the gym a couple of times a week, but not anywhere close to the training he did years ago, so like all of us his shape isn't the same. I'm just glad he cares about his health and is willing to eat pretty much the same things I do.

We are both a little out of sorts being in the condo. It's not tiny, but about half the size of our house and there isn't much to do this time of year. I'm just trying to entertain myself the best I can and make it through. This morning I'll take Otis to dh's office before I go to the gym and he'll bring him home at lunch time. That's a nice break for me and for Otis. I'm sure dh is glad he works and has that to do Monday thru Friday. As for me, I'm just so glad it's working out for Otis to go to the office. I'm already planning for next summer when it will no longer be "The Year of the Pup" or a kitchen remodel. I will likely drive up to Washington for an extended visit in the cool. My sister in law will be retiring in about 2 months, so I can play with her and then my other friends too.

Silverbirch Doesn't it feel good when you honestly feel in control. Mostly I do anymore, but there are those days. I guess I kind of make a mental food plan every morning. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch most days and I plan dinner because it usually entails taking something out of the freezer.

Nationalparker Are the floors finished? I don't know how many rooms you were doing? Good luck getting back on plan with FMD. It has worked so well for you.

Maryann I wouldn't call weight up 2 pounds as ballooning. I've heard that Ibuprofen can cause some water retention and for me so does flying. I hope you have a nice visit with your sister.

Ann Watching your little DGD play at the beach sounds like so much fun. I remember when my son was little, he didn't seem to ever notice the cold when he was swimming etc.

GardenerJoy I hope the rest of your day went well. You are on a roll.

Have a great start to the week everybody.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #156  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've got three meetings today -- including a lunch meeting and a supper meeting. So, that's all very challenging. I checked out the menu for lunch and picked a salad. I'm bringing the main dish for supper, take-outs from my local gourmet taco place. Someone else is bringing veggies and hummus. So, I'll focus on the veggies and let the young folks that I'm meeting with eat most of the rest of the food. They have zippier metabolisms than I do.

Newlifestyle: I'm going for a late afternoon walk today for the first time in a week. It's slightly cooler and there's a breeze, so that should work.

maryann: Good for you for planning a fast recovery after a miserable travel day. I hope your back and tummy recover quickly.

nationalparker: I hope your annual meeting goes well, in spite of the food challenges that it brings.

silverbirch: that's a good list of practices! Getting to bed at a reasonable hour is crucial to managing my energy level and mood.

karenrn: enjoy your cooler day. We're expecting 93 today, which would be hot enough in a normal summer, but will feel cool after last week.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #157  
Enjoying la bella vita

All went smoothly in the full-day meeting. Able to sidestep the sugar and adjusted my lunch to fit in with the plan. Gave the remaining cupcakes to our security guards upon leaving the building and they were very happy. Success. Dinner will be OP tonight as I prepped the turkey meatballs and sauce on Saturday to have with the brown rice pasta. Tomorrow is the meeting at work I've been rolling through in my mind - with a subordinate who has a lot of excuses for everything and it showed in her review. I am prepared for a lot of push-back. Will be a sense of relief when it's over, but if history proves anything, this may be the start of more issues. We will see.

Tomorrow night we have an outdoor concert to enjoy, and I'm looking forward to that as the gift for the end of the workday.

DH's work is going well - we're so thankful that all worked out with his few transitions last year, and this company really seems to value him, and he appreciates that. They're talking about a new position in the next six months, and then even talking beyond that. I'm cautious and saying to just take each step as it comes, don't think we're having to relocate for a new position that may be years away. It's good, though, that he's enjoying it, because i am so ready to be done with the meetings and all of the frustrations that come with the work. I wonder what I've been eating to ease my mind in retrospect.

AnnieMaxx - Hope you're still here and just busy. I need to restart with you. My list of "why" I want to lose weight was very close to yours and I need to rewrite it tonight.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #158  
newlifestyle

Good Morning Coaches

I will try this one more time. I lost two posts so here goes.

Yesterday was not a great day for me. We had no power all day and I had two appointments out of the area so I thought it meant I didn't need to make a plan and could eat whatever. Thankfully every day is a new slate. I have a plan today.

Nationalparker - Good luck with your meeting today. I enjoyed the posts from AnnieMaxx, I hope she comes back.

Joy - I am guessing your busy day didn't inclued unplanned eating. Great job for making a plan even though it was a busy day.

Silverbirch- 'At no point did I feel I wanted/needed to eat off plan'- an empowering statement

Karen - enjoy the cooler weather.

Maryann - hoping you are enjoying time with your sister.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Ann
Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #159  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quick hello and to say that we are away for a week or so. I'll call in when I can! I have a plan for today and I've done my exercises.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #160  
Enjoying la bella vita

Well, I'm really embarrassed to write this but I had left two cupcakes at home for DH or the freezer ... and I ate one whole cupcake last night! DH joked that I should save it and eat it after this meeting I'm stressing about. I said no, I don't want to use food as a reward. Then promptly ate it from stress 10 minutes later. Well, stress and the fact that it looked yummy and the first half (I cut it) WAS yummy. The second half was too much. They weren't the huge cupcakes from a cupcake shoppe, but STILL there was a lot of frosting. Today, by golly, will be on plan and that'll be helped by the fact that I have lunch ready in the fridge at home - will take a break and get away after the mtg., and dinner should be quick. I'm going to see if I can find the panera sprouted grain bagels and just have sandwiches for dinner before the concert.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 331.2/304.8/180

Height: 5'7"

Hello! I'm new to the Beck Diet Solution, and I've just chosen my diet coaches: my dad and this forum. I feel really positive about this, and I'm hoping I can learn enough techniques before the "honeymoon" period wears off. I am currently on vacation, but I'm practicing eating mindfully and slowly, reading my Advantages Response Card, and giving myself credit. I'm surprised how much these three things are affecting my ability to step away from food I shouldn't eat. I did eat two cookies without sitting down yesterday, but the next time I ate a cookie, I made sure to sit down and eat it slowly.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #162  
Green Tomatoes

I must have made good choices with my meals at meetings yesterday because the scale was down this morning.

My energy level is really low. I'm not sure if it's from too many meetings crammed into the last two days or the weather or the mold count. Anyway, I have a reasonably relaxed plan but it does require that I stay attentive and focused on it. Summoning my determination to do that -- both for my to-do list and my food plan.

nationalparker: Good for you for having a plan for how to deal with the stress and with food today.

Newlifestyle: No power adds a lot of stress to a day.

silverbirch: bon voyage!

Sencha: Hi! Great to see you in this space. This forum is a wonderful diet coach. If BillBlueEyes were in town, he would give you a grand welcome. So, I'll go with this:
He would also ask about how you heard about the Beck Diet Solution and our group.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #163  
newlifestyle

Good morning Coaches

Yesterday I had a plan and followed in. I also went over and borrowed DGD and took her for a walk. Credit that I got extra walking in and she was tired at bedtime. DS tells us we wear her out. She wears us out. We do have fun chasing her. Food was on plan. It is cooler here so walking is great.

Joy - Kudos for making good choices for meals at your meeting. One of my friends was told for low energy it could be low magnesium so her doctor told her to soak in Epsom salts.

Nationalparker - funny about the cupcake as my DH will suggest something and I had no intention of eating it and it is like he put the thought in my head. I know it was my choice to eat it but I ask him why he suggests things. How was the concert?

Silverbirch - Have a wonderful time and kudos for exercise and having a plan.

Sencha - Welcome, and great job sitting down while eating. I found that once I started reading Beck, I became aware of all the things I did such as eating while standing. I would cut up and apple and have a tablespoon of peanut butter with it and stand at the counter and eat it. Now I sit down. Congratulations for being able to give yourself credit. That is a hard one I find.

Hello to everyone and I hope all is well.

Take Care
Ann
Old 07-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #164  
Green Tomatoes

I got distressed yesterday. Combined with lethargy, that led directly to overeating with no attempt to stop it. I’m trying to think through how I can get myself to engage in less destructive behavior when “I want this treat and I don’t care” is the main thought in my head.

The most helpful response in the past has been to counter the desire with a different desire. I want to be strong, healthy, and happy. If I can get myself to have that thought, then I will ask, “what would make me strong, healthy, and happy in this moment?” The answer probably won’t include peanut butter.

Newlifestyle: I love your DGD workouts! Thanks for the advice about Epsom salts. I'll pick some up while I'm at the store today.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #165  
Enjoying la bella vita

The meeting that I was so stressed out about went well. I think I handled it very wisely, and came away feeling proud of the way it went. Rarely have those moments in my position. Today has been mostly on plan - the strays from plan were a bit of fruit this evening, and one piece of chocolate. I'll accept that. Had a very busy workday, staying late and then getting more flooring on the way home and working a bit more on office stuff here until a while ago. I am ready for another weekend now. Busy day scheduled tomorrow, as well. Think we're packing up the bedroom next. The layer of dust from the project is just all over, but doing what I can to manage it.

Welcome, Sencha! I hope this group can help on your journey, as your posts will help us as well! Looking forward to your notes and how BDS is working for you. I need to be more mindful of the Beck principles; sometimes they are far from my reach.

Ann - Your DGD activity plan sounds like the best! Great memories in the making, there.

GardenerJoy - Your note resonated with me - the "I don't care" mentality has been in the forefront of my mind here the past few months. I feel like I can work hard to get to a lower weight, but that doesn't ensure anything health-wise ... I keep thinking about that with my brother. He's always been slender, but that didn't make a difference with cancer. I'm in a loop on that thinking.

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-26-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Closed Thread