Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #61  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday

I rested quite hard (!) yesterday and read a novel for most of the day. I can feel it paying off and what I want to do today feels within grasp. I've done an hour in the garden and my flexibility exercises. I plan a little more gardening work and to finish writing an article.

Food-wise, I thought I might give up snacks, based on Bill's sterling example. Today, I'm in two minds about it but will soldier through and see how it works out. If stress is low (and it feels like it at present) then surely I should be able to manage.

nationalparker, you're doing well. One foot in front of the other.

karenrn and maryann, it would be so good to go hiking with you two!

Bill, yes, Churchill was a great orator and we don't have many (any?) of those any more. My focus here is that our life

Quote:
may move forward into broad sunlit uplands.
Thanks for supervising the wall. Important work and I should think your DGD would pick up a few ideas there. Wall building is such a skilled job. Is yours dry stone or is mortar involved?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Mother's Day (since 1908, Philadelphia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Happy Mother's Day to all here who've raised kids.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping for a haircut and a friendly chat with the owner. She kindly didn't comment that I'd been away too long as she normally does. The wall that I'm sidewalk supervising (natural stone with cement and rebar) is being built in three steps - it's a short steep hill that it's holding back. It'll be the most sturdy structure in the neighborhood perhaps to be found by archeologists 10,000 years from now who speculate that a community must have been nearby when the land wasn't under water. Postulating human sacrifices there after finding the mason's blood on the stones. Debating whether the inhabitants were civilized.

Eating at the reception after a wedding wasn't so under control. Food served at 3:30 in the afternoon fits nowhere in my plan. And I'm a sucker for multiple tables of good looking food to be nibbled while wandering around chatting with friends. I wore the necktie from my DD's wedding of two years ago. It seems too festive to wear for normal events. The calories were high, but contents not enough to declare as dinner, so DW and I stopped at Whole Foods to buy a quart of clam chowder to call dinner. It was a good attempt at saving the situation. Otherwise, there were no snacks, CREDIT moi.

silverbirch – Yay for gardening work to get the mind framed to write an article. My DW went to a major plant sale and came home with "only" five plants. Since our yard is completely full, she'll have to move a few things about to find them a home. This does not seem like a chore to her. [Thanks for "may move forward into broad sunlit uplands" - made me go read more of his early speeches.]

maryann - Congrats for weaning yourself away from electronics to a "meditation book" - I'm a fan of hard copy.

nationalparker – Kudos for being able to take "a reasonable portion of the chips" at a Mexican restaurant. That bowl of continuously refilled tortilla chips is a major challenge for me. I feel like you're headed off to war.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the slight scale up-jiggle with Kudos for remembering, "I will persevere."

Readers -
Quote:
Conclusion Stay Free of Traps - for Life

Using Escape Plans for Life's Varied Traps

Beth returned for four more sessions. By then, she was back in control of her nighttime eating, she was feeling less stressed at work, and her weight had started to drop. "I'm so glad I came back for a few booster sessions. If the scale ever starts to go up again," she said, "I'll come see you much sooner. I don't know why I waited so long!"

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 227
Old 05-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches. A tough few days. DH is at home but not eating anything except a little ice cream or smoothie, and liquids. They will be starting him on the TPN (a liquid nutrition that goes into his port) again but can’t get it going until sometime this week which puzzles me, I don’t know why it can’t be quicker. Consequently he is very weak.

He has an appointment with oncologist early Monday morning so we will make a plan from there. he’s supposed to have second round of chemo Tuesday but there is possibility of placing a stent which would delay chemo. I’m glad team is upfront about everything but its a challenge because it isn’t quite clear what is going on.

I keep telling myself, at least it isn’t snowing out
I'm mad at myself that I made it through this last year without gaining anything, then put on 10 pounds in the fall when things were good, so I couldn't blame the stress. I'm trying to eat somewhat healthy thru this to help me feel better but am having tough time resisting the sugar as usual.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Mother's Day to all. I think all of us "mother" in this life whether is cultivation of life through a garden or a pet, nurturing a cause or a belief.

Weight is a pound below ticker but food is erratic and feels gross in my stomach after I eat it. Today's plan is to focus on food that makes me feel good and is healthy. Somebody once talk about filling up like a garbage can - bits, bites, pieces, leftovers but never a decent meal. That hit home to me.

10 more papers to grade then I am free to enjoy the day with my boys. They are packing a picnic lunch and we are heading to the tennis club for weights, bikes and jacuzzi.

Best to all.

curleyjax: I am so sorry to hear about your family's struggles and pain. We will keep you in our thoughts at mass today.

Last edited by maryann; 05-14-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #65  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was a planned off plan last night. I had a couple of beers, several kinds of bruschetta and a tomato fresh mozzarella salad (the name escapes me). I used some of my weekly points. This morning I hiked Bell Pass at 5:30 and the guests hiked Camelback again. I don't like to hike Camelback on the weekend because it is so crowded. My niece confirmed that I am correct on that, but their friends are leaving tomorrow. We will hike Tom's Thumb tomorrow. Honestly I didn't mind hiking alone at all and dh is home today and walked Otis while I was gone. Otis gets so upset when he sees me putting on my walking shoes because he is sure he is going to get to go. Dh has walked him twice this week. That's big!

Maryann Enjoy your afternoon! Good was you for being under ticker.

Curlyjax You and your husband and family are in my thoughts and prayers. How is dh doing with the liquid diet? Are you putting some protein powder in the smoothies? Or could he tolerate that?

Bill It doesn't sound like you had any snacks to me. You just split your dinner into two time frames.

Silverbirch I'd like to rest quite hard too. I'm used to a little more rest than when company is here. I feel guilty lying down and taking a little snooze like I often do in the early afternoon for a short bit.

Nationalparker Well here's my two cents. You are doing too much. I will admit I fix meals for dh for when I am out of town . . . . but I DON'T WORK. It is really hard to stay focused and do the right thing when we're exhausted. Take care of yourself.

Happy Mother's Day to all off us as I know every one of us is nurturing someone or something!
Old 05-15-2017, 01:08 AM   #66  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Day one

Typically for me, day one means a fresh start on an eating plan...but this is day one being off-site at my event. Upgraded to a very large suv to get all our gear in it and dh figured out how to pack it with rear seats folding up, etc. He is clever while I just load it however. Left him and the pets and got on the road...long day but not a long drive. Worked a few hours this evening and am in good shape on one project. I keep saying the days will all pass and it'll be over soon. received news that one who arrived today to work was called home as a family member was in an accident and in critical condition...Dr said to get the family there asap. Puts any concerns in perspective.

Curlyjax -good luck with Dh's treatment...why do they not proceed at warp speed on these things?

Maryann...eloquent note about mothers. I want to jot your line in my journal. Hope your afternoon was lovely.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:55 AM   #67  
in development

Default Monday

Lots of rain which is good for the garden here. It's also very windy. I'm going out there in a moment to pull the suckers off the base of the bay tree with a pair of pliers. It's only a smallish job.

Yesterday's food was awful. I went completely off piste in the afternoon in a way that wasn't familiar to me. I interpret this to mean that I do need a 'snack' mid-morning, as I've had for years. It's usually a piece of fruit and some protein. I'll return to this and continue to work on what's best in the afternoon. A rest after lunch works well. A short walk used to work well too.

nationalparker, I hope the carrots are helping you!

karenrn, that salad sounds lovely. I wonder if it was 'caprese' - with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. I love fresh mozzarella.

maryann, thanks for reminding me of the phrase 'a decent meal'. I miss out on that in the evening if I graze in the afternoon.

curlyjax, I hope the oncologist makes it a bit clearer what's going on. Thinking of you this Monday morning.

Bill, mid-afternoon meals are not in my plan either. Your DW was admirably restrained at the plant sale. Moving plants about is part of it all, I think.

Rain now sounds torrential and the trees are lashing about. I'll do the first part of the flexibility exercises and then see what it's actually like out there. It would do me good to be out there for a little, I think.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:18 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Skylab, the first US space station, launches (1973, Earth orbit)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan with no snacks, CREDIT moi. I wrestled several urges to "have something" to tide me over. Dinner was a new recipe that required me to peel the shrimp. There's nothing like having shrimp smell on the hands to whet the appetite. Someday I'm going to learn how to shuck shrimp efficiently. I could never make a living at it at the speed I do it now.

Little exercise as it was raining all day. The excitement was a car alarm that went off for several minutes before the owner finally deigned to come turn it off. Rain can do that. Since today is also the anniversary of the 1982 release of Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder's “Ebony and Ivory,” I'm listening to oldies as I type. There's been some great pop music these past decades.

silverbirch – Needed OED to help me find your off-piste. Good luck figuring out the balance of snacks. Wind and torrential rains sounds awful.

maryann - You hit me with "filling up like a garbage can - bits, bites, pieces, leftovers but never a decent meal." I do know about that.

nationalparker – Good luck orchestrating your event - you do sound busy. Sobering story about your colleague's family member.

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds sane to have "planned off plan." I do like the notion of hiking at 5:30 in the morning.

curlyjax - Will be thinking of you and your DH as you have your oncologist appointment today. I agree, "upfront about everything" is the only way to go forward.

Readers -
Quote:

Miranda, the single mother with two boys, had been stressed by her busy schedule and her rules about having to be a 110 percent mom. She still calls me about once a year, just to check in and say hello. She sounded so happy on our last phone call. She had gained a little weight back, she told me, "but that's because I'm dating again! My eating hasn't been out of control. I just decided that I wanted to be able to go out with Barry for drinks and dinner. And make him home-cooked meals he likes. They're healthy but they're more substantial than I used to eat. So I've plateaued at about five pounds heavier than when I last saw you."

"That's terrific!" I said. "I'm so happy for you. And it's great that you made a conscious decision to eat more now that your circumstances are different."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 227
Old 05-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #69  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Thumbs up Coaches

Hello Coaches

Weekend was food heavy. Mother's Day over the top buffet. Art exhibition with the mayor, councillors and our MPP. I knew it was coming and planned for it and today am back on my stricter plan. My plan loosened its metaphorical belt for the weekend and has pulled it tighter today. *credit* I have clinic appointment at noon on Friday so definitely want to be that 257, or less, on that day. All possible.

I, finally, had a breakthrough this morning as I woke up with the idea for the large puzzle block I need to create for my steamroller printmaking, community version. Phew for that. I have a better idea of my graphic for the poster too. That needs to be done ASAP.

My storage locker needs to be empty by the 21st, ideally I will complete this task by the end of the week. DH folded up a package of banker boxes for me so thats helpful. I am wondering if I could whittle my possessions down to just those boxes. Is it possible? Maybe those 5 and 5 more. everything else out. I'll try my best. I'm not panicking over it. Not yet anyway.

Better go. Still have work to do tonight.

bye!

curlyjax: I hope your DH has improved today. I'm thinking of you, and your family.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:11 AM   #70  
in development

Default Tuesday

Yesterday worked out very well. Someone else's article copy-edited to first draft stage, one article written by me, lots of salad eaten, good work in the garden, exercises done.

On the to be improved list. Not quite enough sleep last night but that will soon be rectified. And I didn't manage to go out for a walk after lunch. And I hurt my L elbow (old war wound) when lugging a couple of heavy books. I think my grip is less good than it was so I'm going to be doing "farmer's walk" exercises to improve it. (I've given you a hilarious link from T-Nation. I think T might be for Testosterone.)

Today brings exercises, a quick stint in the garden (covering the bay tree suckers site with a square of old carpet underlay) and more writing. Plus working out what to have for tea. I've bought some beef short ribs - never heard of them until recently - and will stick them in the oven for hours on low.

onebyone, I love this: 'My plan loosened its metaphorical belt for the weekend and has pulled it tighter today'. You're doing so well. I sleep on ideas a lot and it almost always works. And, you may find this interesting, sometimes I do the washing up and that works too!

Bill, excellent work in wrestling those urges to 'have something' to the ground. I should train for that more seriously. They are 'sabotaging thoughts', aren't they? Do you talk back to them with your prepared responses?

to everyone. Have a Beckful day! (I'm thinking about re-reading a Beck book, even though her writing annoys me.)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #71  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Marie Antoinette, 14, marries (future) Louis XVI, 15 (1770, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, when the rains finally ceased, to view the gravesites of some of the astronomers buried at Mount Auburn Cemetery. It was more interesting because some are mentioned in Dava Sobel's book Glass Universe which I'm now reading simultaneously with DW. We usually avoid reading the same physical book at the same time but she tends to read later at night than I do so it's workable. First world marital challenge, LOL.

Eating was on plan without snacks, CREDIT moi, except for some refreshments served at our evening lecture. They weren't very good but I ate them anyway since it was late and our dinner was planned for afterward. I can call it a split dinner, but I wish I had just ignored them. I did take a cup of freshly cut fruit and sit down to eat it. That part was a winner.

onebyone – I also enjoy your prose with your "metaphorical belt". Best takeaway for me was "I knew it was coming and planned for it" - that's such a good start.

silverbirch – Love your Farmer's Walk exercise, especially the line from the website "not used more often is because they're too simple." Congrats for getting all your writing done.

Readers -
Quote:

Miranda has really changed since the first day I met her. She's confident about herself, she's proud of how well her boys are doing, and she has a wonderful new man in her life. She and Barry do lots of athletic things together, sometimes with the boys and sometimes not. They go on nature hikes and ride bikes, and they kayak in the summer. She doesn't have to worry about her weight affecting her activities. Her boys are also at a healthy weight, which is even more important to her. Her older son now says he wants to be a chef because he so enjoys doing food prep with his mom.

"I am just so grateful for everything you taught me," she said at the end of our phone call. "My life has gotten so much better."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 228
Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Morning, Coaches.

Weight at ticker which was a nice drop from the scary number the day after Mom's day. This reaffirms weighing everyday. I have to be vigilant or a temporary addition can become permanent. Two girls asked me to sponsor a CARE club at school next year which is for working for animal protection. I asked if I had to be a vegetarian😄. I told them I would. Nice kids so why not. I believe high school is about involvement outside of academics so I should suck up and get involved. Ironic because I am not a pet person at all. I guess I will learn.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #73  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Work day at home

Coaches

Today is a full day of decluttering. I have made my white board list. DH and his negativity have left the apartment and I am ready. I was really tempted to derail this morning by heading off to buy clear plastic bins, as if they are the solution to this problem. It's like buying organic veggies will make you a) eat veggies all of a sudden and b) cause the weight to fall right off cause all of a sudden you ate some green "super healthy" things. No, new clear storage bins do not magically clean up a place.

My job is to get rid of the cardboard boxes that are "temporarily" holding things. I am to clear all surfaces that are visible. In addition, this time round, I am clearing out whatever I am housing in my sideboards. I originally bought them to house the items I need to keep around but whatever is in there I have never, not once, needed enough to open any of those sideboard doors. Meanwhile boxes of things hang around all in front of those doors that I do dip into and shuffle around. Time to put the original plan into action.

Food is on plan, and planned. Weight has fallen a bit this morning. Not in the 250's but close. Perhaps tomorrow.

Silverbirch: I LOVE that T-nation site. So over the top! I read some line about you want your abs to take a punch to the stomach. Lol. I asked myself, do I want abs that can take a punch to the stomach? Perhaps.

BillBlueEyes: DH and I could never share a book like the way you and your DW are doing. He'd leave it where I wouldn't find it and vice versa. Where do you keep the book so you can get it when you need it? Seems remarkable to me!

Maryann: I am happy to read of any efforts directed toward animal welfare. I thank you and your students for this.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #74  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I guess I had better sit down and write a post before I just move on to something else and the day is gone. Yesterday was the last day with our niece and nephew. Justine and I hiked to the Lookout just beyond Tom's Thumb in the morning. We went at 6:30 and the weather was good. Not too hot. It's even cooler today and Otis and I just got back from our walk. A friend is coming by in about an hour for a walk and then my last personal trainer session is at 10. I won't be distracted trying to watch my niece periodically, since she is no longer here. Last week she was doing push ups in the hand stand position when I was trying to do much easier things. It wasn't that she was trying to show off, but they have specific workouts to do on each day and that was the one she was supposed to do. I will start the class tomorrow and plan to go 3 times a week at 9 a.m. It will be a perfect time. Plenty of time to walk Otis first.

Food is on plan, but I did eat the rest of my weekly points (the extra ones) on Sunday. I will need to get to the store today after I take an inventory of what we have around here.

Our niece and nephew just love it here and plan to come back in November. I think dh's brother and his wife may come too. She will be fine because she will hike. BIL is pretty sedentary even though he's 3 1/2 years younger than dh. I know he won't golf 4 days in a row. We'll see if he decides to come or not. Our niece and nephew will be starting a family soon, so I'm sure the visits will not be so frequent after that happens.

So, no more company until Fall and it's on to the next projects . . . dog training, new gym regimen and kitchen remodel. I started the dog training after the guests left yesterday. We are to use a spray bottle with water when Otis is doing certain things. Yesterday I sprayed him and said off when he had gotten up on the kitchen chair. He just blinked and looked at me. He didn't even move. I think we will need more help.

Onebyone Good luck with your day of decluttering. It really is amazing how many things we have around and don't use. I was surprised how many things I gave to the Goodwill out of the cabinet in the garage where I keep seldom used kitchen items. Some of them I had not used in the 12 years since we've been here. I'm sure there are more things like that too.

Maryann Yea for drops on the scale and an even bigger yea for what a good teacher and person you are!

Bill Is your weather typical for this time of the year. I know the WA weather is still just awful. We are having cooler temps this week which I just love. That means in the 80's until Friday.

Silverbirch Yes, from the looks of it T-Nation could be related to testosterone. Short ribs are very popular here, especially at some of the nicer restaurants who serve them with polenta.

Have a great day everybody!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Stock Exchange formed (1792, Wall Street)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, without snacks. Dinner was planned to be salmon on the grill after an evening event than was expected to offer cookies. I had a plan for the cookies that would have worked. To our surprise, trays of top shelf appetizers appeared including skewers of rare roast beef and Thai chicken. We declared it dinner. Life is good.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to the evening event as well as a trip to the post office. I had ordered our standard kitchen calendar for 2018 - the place where our household is organized. We've been using the same style forever. Whatever happened, a wall sized version appeared - like you'd use at an office. Good news is that there was no line. It was my fastest trip through the post office ever and I enjoyed the walk in 80 degree F sunshine.

onebyone – Super Kudos for a full day of decluttering. [Our book sharing only works because we have four weeks with this library book and it's a quick read so the times that I can't find it aren't a problem.]

maryann - Good reminder, "I have to be vigilant."

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for being able to watch your niece doing "push ups in the hand stand position" and continue with your own workout. LOL that Otis has learned to ignore the spray bottle.

Readers -
Quote:

Now let's talk about you.

If you haven't already done so, now is a great time to go back to chapter 2 and start learning the foundation strategies, one at a time. As you practice your skills daily, you will strengthen your habit of self-discipline. You'll become increasingly confident that you can get yourself to do what you need to do, even when you don't feel like it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 228
Closed Thread