Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:35 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - The Grand Coulee Dam begins (1941, Washington State)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The session with the tax accountant was easy; she just copied the totals from my work into the appropriate slots. She never questions how I get my list. It's up to me to produce it should I get audited. One of my condolences when buying my Nissan LEAF this summer was that the state's 6.25% sales tax would be a deduction. Wrong. If you take that deduction, you can't take the deduction of your state income tax. Catch 22 of sorts. Oh, well, it's just money.

Dinner turned out to be, once again, an unexpected reception after a lecture about the racism of displaying different 'savage peoples' at the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. That seems so recent, but it was only three years after the massacre of 146 Sioux at Wounded Knee in South Dakota. I wish that I knew history. It seems late in life to be learning it in dribbles. Exercise was walking, CREDIT moi, to the lecture and back.

onebyone – Yep, you know how to "recommit to being on plan daily." Keep on keeping on.

maryann - Kudos for "the trick is to move forward."

nationalparker – Waving back toward warm and sunny Florida. Congrats just for making it through the Atlanta airport; it's just HUGE.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at the advice to "keep the pup calm" - it reminds me of the kind of advice we used to get from folks who'd never raised kids. That waffle sounds yummy.

curlyjax - Yay for all the advice given by librarians. Sometimes 'boring' is just right.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

Escape the Stuck Off-Track Trap

Remember that struggling to get back on track is much harder than actually being on track. Once you have built up positive momentum, dieting gets much easier. Try to keep this longer-range vision in mind when you're feeling stuck.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 212
Old 03-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Morning coaches!
I ended up eating bits of this and that for dinner, plus my lovely muffin, then stopped. I was craving popcorn later in the evening but talked myself out of it, credit for that, especially since i was feeling a bit put upon that no one else had cleaned anything up!
I’m trying to track food in one of these food calculator things but it gets challenging with combos like stirfry or taco salad, and i don’t always have the patience to break it all down.
Personally i think i eat less at dinner if i just grab a few things, rather than making a dinner and sitting down with family- but the socialization is important too and making sure everyone else has something decent to eat. Tonight is DH’s turn to figure it out!

going out for lunch with some former co-workers today. They apparently serve breakfast all day so i am looking forward to that, and will pick either potatoes or toast but not both.

Bill- glad your tax ordeal is done! i live with my tax accountant so I don’t have to deal with it. I did organize the medical receipts this year, of which there were a lot!
Karenrn- Interesting about the eye problem. I didn’t think puppies did calm that will be a challenge!
onebyone- i’m familiar with off and on! You can do it! We are here for you!
Nationalparker- Enjoy seeing your brother…and that warm weather!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #108  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food and plan and a great morning so far. I hiked Bell Pass beginning just after 6 a.m. and then came home and took Otis for a walk. He is loving meeting the other dogs along the way, but sometimes doesn't want to continue walking unless the other dog is coming too. I just have to pick him up and carry him for a ways until he forgets about the other dog. His eye continues to be fine; I am probably a worry wart. My husband was looking up about when dogs get crazy and apparently some people call it the "zoomies". That's what he does, zooms around like a crazy pup.

Curlyjax I track in both the WW and My Fitness Pal aps. I have found that both of them save your favorites for each meal, so it does get easier and less time consuming over time.

Bill Glad you got your taxes done. Sounds kind of like mine, by the time I do all the work I should probably just do them myself. However, I know a year will come when there are crazy things that I don't want to deal with.

Onebyone Good luck getting back on plan quickly. I know we all go off plan, I think the getting back on before there is too much damage is the important thing.

Nationalparker I'm glad you're able to be down with your brother. Enjoy the visit and ease up on yourself.

Maryann I hope your leg is better.

No big plans for me the rest of the day, but I always do feel better getting some good exercise in the morning.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #109  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy still trying

Coaches

Woke up determined to be on plan today and I have not managed that. Yet. I continue to press the re-set button though.

I think what's driving the food obsession/cravings are two fold:
1) psychological: trying to avoid the work that is in front of me to do
2)physical: fake sugar and real sugar tripped the switch inside me and the cravings are now back where before they were gone

My work needs to get done. I need to make a list. I need to prioritize. I may need to cull some items from the list. But I need to get it down on paper and out of my head so I can start to relieve the tension it is causing or that tension will continue to fuel my desire to eat to distraction.

Physical-the answer is clear. Stop drinking and eating anything with any form of sugar. The road back to being on-track always always always begins here for me. I must now accept that I will have cravings for a few days after I drop the sugar once more. I need to expect it and not act on it.

Going to make the list now.

Bye!

Last edited by onebyone; 03-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #110  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

My cravings for sweet have continued as well, but managing to stave them off with "No choice" ... it's not on my plan and not helping me be successful in getting back to my food plan. I don't want to backslide too much here, but I recognize that there might be a bit of it. Will accept and move on if that's the case. I have been OP so far today, which surprises me since it's the protein day. Dinner will be a bit off plan but I will eat moderately and it's not a meal that is off a healthy eating plan, just not in my phase. I can accept that. Dentist visit was OK but a bit frustrating to find that two crowns I had done in the past 15-18 months weren't apparently done correctly, so I'll return to that dentist with these xrays and see what the next steps are. If they won't comp some of the cost, I'll just have my nephew tackle it on another visit. UGH either way A return visit on Tuesday for him to replace two older fillings.

Ordered a pile of good kids' books for the youngsters in the family - ranging from 8 months to 4 years and then an amazon gift card for the 12 year old to choose paperbacks or whatever she'd like. I didn't plan well, thinking of the two day shipping and several say "two-day shipping" arriving in three days. I wasn't thinking they had to get them in to the distribution center, supposedly. Oh well ... we'll all be together on Sunday, I think, so if they arrive on time, all's well. Looking forward to showing my brother a few of them (The Night Gardener, Mortimer, etc.)

No activity today at all. No sitting in the warm sunshine. But plenty of good chat time with my brother.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:17 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Handel's Messiah first performance (1743, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chasing the (now) 18 month old DGD, CREDIT moi. Words are beginning to flow. It's like the slow start with words is to see if they really work. Then she learned how powerful they are. Her cold is likely spread to all kids at the Play Space as well as to us; that's how immunity is spread throughout a community.

Did our book club meeting without telling anyone that I hadn't read the last chapter. Everyone raved that the last chapter was the best - giving them hope for all the endangered species on the planet. Ooops - now I'll secretly catch up. Naturally I blame my dawdling on the IRS since they wanted my tax returns. I do not take responsibility that the book club had a three month warning and the tax returns a 12 month warning, LOL.

onebyone – This seems so important, "I may need to cull some items from the list."

nationalparker – Kudos for "No choice" when needed. LOL that two day shipping arrives in three days.

Karen (karenrn) - Starting your hike at 6am is so ambitious. LOL at the "zoomies."

curlyjax - All-day breakfast place with former co-workers sounds fun.

Readers -
Quote:

• Recall all experiences when you stayed on track even through the circumstances were difficult. You have the skills to get yourself on track and to stay on track; you just have to tap into them.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 213
Old 03-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #112  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hello!

I've been around just doing my best to keep up right now. Road project has become extremely inconvenient this past week although I was the first to have a finished sidewalk in my block. Unfortunately I can't get to it. I'm parking a block away in moms driveway (spontaneous exercise) and DH finally went to Glenwood. Parking on the high street is super congested and last night my tenant called frustrated with another neighbor who has 3 cars parked above. The big ouch is that there is talk of starting another phase of the project on the opposite end of town, right in front of the restaurant where I work. In my mind, I had planned to be able to be out of the job by the time that happened. I guess not. Others are stashing away money for an anticipated closure or plain ol' lack of business. I really don't want to be hanging there in boredom with no $$. For me, it all comes down to trust. I will do my best and trust it's all going to work out.

Foodwise, I'm hanging in there. Still keeping up with my daily smoothie and all the associated chores that come with a healthy lifestyle. I had a super frustrating day yesterday as I had to take mom to many appointments and my dishwasher had a malfunction as I was preparing to leave. Fortunately, I had hours of sitting to read troubleshooting sites and came home and fixed it. Yay!

Weight has small blips but still successfully maintaining. Credit.

I've been finding moments to pursue pleasurable things-for me. I started a big pot of greens in my greenhouse and they are starting to pop up. I was able to spend almost 8 hours in my yard last week and I moved forward with my dream there. Today I plan to do the same again.

It's still a daily commitment to keep my decluttering efforts up in my home. It matters to me so I just keep going.

I managed to finish moms books last week and think I can finish our taxes today. That was a goal and I am happy to cross both off my list.

My DH has had some struggles related to his TBI lately. I really worked hard with CBT strategies to not let it drag me down and successfully lived through it without resorting to big time emotional eating. Credit.

So I am rambling. Wishing everyone the best!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Vein check at dr's turned out fine. PT said it was a cause of misalignment. So hopefully leg will start feeling better. This week feels like a set up with something every night late into evening. All seem unavoidable. Good news is I was 85% OP and the scale is under 160 where I like it best. Lunch is packed. I'm driving into city to visit cousins I haven't seen in a long time. Bad timing but I feel I need to make the effort. One step at a time.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #114  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Maybe I can procrastinate just a little longer before I start some housework. We had rain last night, so I'll wait just little bit before taking Otis out for a walk for the puddles to dry. They are getting dry quickly. He goes to the groomers at noon so I'll do my vacuuming while he is out of the house.

Food is on plan. For dinner last night we had pizza and I had the points for that. In fact the points were listed in the ap since it was from a chain. This morning I had the waffle again with strawberries. Seems like such a treat and it does have protein in it.

Maryann So glad the leg is better and that it isn't something serious. Good for you for taking the steps to get the scale where you like it.

Debbie Always good to hear from you. What may I ask is TBI? You do such a good job of getting things done, from the dishwasher repair to the taxes and everything in between. Boy do you have energy!

Bill I'm sure no one knew you hadn't read the last chapter. In the case of the book club I once belonged to, most of the gals didn't read hardly any of the book but would go on and on about character development, etc. My husband used to call it "wine club", cause there was probably more wine drinking than real book discussion.

Nationalparker I am with you, when I really am determined not to eat sweets I do tell myself "No Choice" and that is the end of it. If I go back and forth in my mind about should I? shouldn't I? it just doesn't work. I hope you get some sunshine time today!

Onebyone It's a fine line between busy enough to stay distracted enough to keep from eating and too much to do. Sounds like you have too much to do. Culling would most likely be a good idea. I'd try the "No Choice" in the meantime.

Okay, moving forward now with the housework. I'll let you know how it goes. Meanwhile it's National Puppy Day. I posted a photo on FB this morning and will post an after once he's been to the groomers.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #115  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Karen, TBI is traumatic brain injury. Hubby used to be able to do almost anything but brain injury changed that. It's a big reason why I have become so handy. It's just necessity. His right hand doesn't work well ( left brain injury) so I I have learned many new things. For example, he knows electrical but it's super difficult now. I learned my electrical skills from him. He could tell me what to do and so I wired our small home in Alaska with his guidance.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #116  
Enjoying la bella vita

I feel like I should have all the time in the world to check in with a decent note and full personals, but the time is flying here and I'm trying to not spend much aside on the computer. My brother opened up a bit more tonight (not that he's closed off typically), but said how he breaks down in sadness at realizing that he won't ever see his grandson play baseball, at any level, at those kind of things. There is little I can think of to say - no one wants to hear pleasantries that tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anyone, that I understand (I'm not in his situation and am pregrieving for myself and for his pain) ... i do know that just being here and spending time has been good for our souls. Thank you for your thoughts and notes.

Maryann - Thankful that the dr. had decent news and not a situation that would really set you back. Credit for seeking the answer.

Lexxiss - Always great to see you here and you continue to make me feel like a slacker. Well, I don't compare because I'm nowhere near as handy. At ALL.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Robert Koch discovers Tuberculosis Bacillus (1882, Germany)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two opportunities for walking were skipped because it felt incredibly cold. It was only in the 20's F - with winds that made it feel much colder. But our expectations have been raised for spring by the unseasonably warm weather. I am SO ready for spring.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was late because we were out - late enough that I didn't have an evening snack. The world nearly came to an end because we were out of bananas!!! We're never out of bananas. Speaking of which, I nearly went bananas when I saw the price of ink for my HP printer. There is no cap on greed. I was slightly mollified by a $10 coupon that had arrived in the mail. I also needed a box of paper clips; Staples sells them five boxes together for $5 (500 clips total). I can't do that because I'll lose the other four boxes. I'm quite sure that I have extra boxes somewhere already that I'm not willing to look for when I can just buy a box. A clerk finally found me a package of 100 for $1 - just what I wanted. Unfortunately they're multi-colored. The IRS will be so happy when they get my tax returns with a red and white striped paper clip.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch, indeed, that the road repairs seem to follow you around. Good luck finishing your taxes today. Yay for home grown greens to be connected to the planet.

maryann - Kudos for recognizing that 85% OP is worthy of credit.

nationalparker – Kudos for being sensitive that your brother doesn't want to hear platitudes. Only a true friend can listen without trying to say something to make it all better.

Karen (karenrn) - You are so considerate to vacuum while Otis is away to spare him the trauma. Kudos for having the points for pizza so that you aren't depriving yourself.

Readers -
Quote:

. . .
  • Think about how much better you feel when you're on track. In fact, when you're on track, you don't even question whether dieting is worth it. Being off track and feeling out of control are really hard and feel terrible. It's worth it to get back on track.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 213
Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- meant to post yesterday but the time slipped away. I let everything go yesterday and ate way too much sugar. I do wish people wouldn’t leave candy out in dishes, they mean it as a kindness but it isn’t! then i came home and starting eating two cookies..and didn’t stop. Today is a new day!
Meal planning will be more of a challenge with DS doing spring sports and i have to pick him up close to dinner time- but not every night, thankfully doing a carpool with 2 others this time! and DH is doing a class at dinner 2 nights a week for about 5 weeks, and DD works a few nights a week and has to eat early. Whew! Of course she’s picky and doesn’t eat what i make a lot anyhow. So there may be more nights of create your own dinner, or cooking earlier and warming it up.
Today i am keeping No choice in mind!!

i became interested in Sutton Hoo, an amazing archeology find in England in 1939, so have started reading a rather dry text on it from the library. We won’t be able to go to the site in July but if we swing by the British Museum we can see some of the relics there. history comes to life!

Lexiss- i didn’t know your DH has a TBI, that is very hard!! That makes you even more amazing you can accomplish so much!
Nationalparker- its so great you can be there for your brother. I think just being there and listening is the best way you can help him through this.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #119  
Enjoying la bella vita

My time down here is flying by. I have not done much of my office work as I was directed to take sick or vacation time for this trip. I've still been answering the many emails that come in but not tackling much else. Our day today was a good one - my brother wanted to go to Jekyll Island and two of the "kids" - in their 30s - came with their kids as it's spring break, so the teacher spouse and kids were off. A day of memory making and well spent.

Food? Another story. I have reverted to the "life is short, don't stress about food this trip since it's just a week" mentality. I thought the day was a complete bust. But in retrospect, I had an on plan breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the stray was a chocolate chip cookie after lunch and a single scoop of ice cream in the afternoon when we stopped at a sweet shop. I can live with that. Honestly, though, I'm not an ice cream fiend, so I could have skipped that and should have skipped it. It wasn't scrumptious like a treat of gelato or kilwin's or something. It just "was".

Bill - Wow - I remember a day back in 2014 when you ran out of bananas. Again? What is happening? Credit for seeking that one box of clips, not 500 that you have to store.

CurlyJax - I will have to look up Sutton Hoo! I'm not familiar with it at all ... but unlike you, I'm a lazy reader and know I won't tackle a dry text. I'm unashamedly hooked by a book's cover, font choice, amount divulged and colors chosen. I DO judge a book by its cover way too often. And I'm sure I miss out on a lot of great books! Credit for reminding me of No Choice - it was in the forefront a few days ago and slipped away.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - British Parliament abolishes the slave trade (1807)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – We attended the play Silent Sky by Lauren Gunderson. It tells the tale of Henrietta Leavitt, the Harvard 'computer' who discovered that Cepheid variable stars contain info about how far away they are. For this amazing feat, which allowed Hubble to be the first to figure out that there's more than the Milky Way out there, she received no credit. Harvard, at that time, only gave credit to its male professors. The play is written beautifully to engage a feminist sensitive audience into constant laughter and rapport. It was a great evening. We had dinner before, chosen by me at Whole Foods, with my DS and his DW to make it a great family evening. Dinner was chosen wisely, CREDIT moi.

I left the supermarket with NO extra treats, CREDIT moi. I take credit for an act that just shouldn't happen because sometimes it does and because I had to wrestle to the ground that the Easter themed junk food was what I needed in life.

nationalparker – Kudos for "A day of memory making and well spent" - you're keeping your perspective. With so much on you mind, food is sure to be a challenge. LOL that the ice cream wasn't gelato.

curlyjax - I so agree, "I do wish people wouldn’t leave candy out in dishes." When I get to be czar this will be a crime; the perp will be forced to eat two pounds of cheap jelly beans in one hour - perfect punishment. You got me hooked. Sutton Hoo just went on my Bucket List.

Readers -
Quote:

. . .
  • If you feel demoralized, remind yourself that the situation isn't hopeless. Create a list of strategies and reminder cards for the sabotaging thoughts that have been getting in your way.
. . .
Closed Thread