Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2017 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 02-01-2017, 04:38 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - National Freedom Day (1948, Harry Truman)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – There's snow outside - could be as much as an inch, LOL. We had a mild winter last year and this year is headed in that direction. I welcome February since my internal clock thinks February is winter and, once over, Spring is here. My internal clock doesn't align that well with reality, but it's not thought about changing itself.

Eating was OK - great except that snacks still plague me. DW grilled salmon on the patio for dinner for my favorite dinner. And there's a second serving left over.

onebyone – Thanks for the link to the Mystical Landscapes - it had the Van Gogh painting also. Love your attitude accepting the style of painting by your class. Sounds like a good exercise day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I'll add Great Sand Dunes National Park to my bucket list - looks unreal. [Classes start next week; I've started the reading.]

Karen (karenrn) - That's one busy day. I had to LOL at "I didn't want to waste the soup, so we ate it."

curlyjax - Recognize the "I can't focus on anything else unless I feel better." Kudos for seeing what's going on.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#1: The I've Blown it Trap

When you learn to stop yourself after a first mistake, you put yourself in a better position than if you stop after two mistakes. And obviously two mistakes are better than three, because each time you make a subsequent mistake, you're strengthening your giving-in muscle that much more. And calories do keep adding up. Every extra mistake contributes further to weight gain.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 199
Old 02-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just got back from a walk with Otis. He's going to the groomers shortly, so I thought I would calm him down a little. Hopefully he will be a little more used it it today and not have a melt down with the brow drier.

Food on plan. I am getting used to eating smaller portions of some things to keep my points in line with what I am allowed. Today I am making lasagna for tomorrow night's dinner. The sauce is made and I think dh and I will have spaghetti with it tonight. Kind of a 2 for 1 thing. I've gotten the bathrooms cleaned and need to dust the guest bedrooms, and do a little grocery shopping while Otis is at the groomers.

Bill We are expecting mid 70's for the next few days and then it even says 80's, but we'll see. I hate to see the temps climb that quickly.

Happy hump day everybody!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A busy week at work ... two more days... working for the weekend. Still at a loss for a birthday gift idea for DH and it's coming up quick. Getting stressed about something that should be a fun day. Looking forward to a hot bubble bath tonight with candles flickering and just a little peace in my mind. DB had his third chemo yesterday - the oncologist was hoping they could do six sessions.

Haven't weighed this week - waiting for the Friday weigh in. Doing about 90% on plan. Passed up bags of Pepperidge Farms cookies at the office, boxes of donuts on a random Tuesday, candy bars in the kitchen area, not sure WHY all the temptations are hanging around this week. Boring check in from me ... Frustrated that my rebound cold is still going strong. A few folks at work said they got one cold and before they'd kicked theirs, they caught another one. Add me to that list. Bleh. at least it's just a cold.

Bill - I have my fingers crossed for a very mild winter. We've had lighter snowfall than average, by a good bit so far. I used to say I can handle the cold temps, just skip the ice/snow/sleet/freezing rain. Now I don't even like the colder, single-digit temps. Not that I ever DID, but I'm getting less cold tolerant as I get older. Retiring in Florida still is calling me.

Karen - Mmm... lasagna sounds good. I have extra sauce from this week's prep that's frozen - I think I'll make a meatloaf pan of the brown rice lasagna on the weekend for this coming week. Your temps just sound heavenly right now. I love being warm vs. cold, but your August would send me over the edge haha.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:08 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - First Groundhog Day (1887, Punxsutawney, PA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chasing the DGD, CREDIT moi, first around the indoor play space and then out in the park when the temperature warmed up to 41 degrees F. At 16 months, puddles aren't yet for playing in but they aren't for walking around when walking straight through them is the shorter route, LOL.

Shortly after leaving to pick her up, the car had a flat tire. Ouch. Luckily I could pull into an empty parking lot behind a restaurant. To my annoyance, once I had the car jacked up and the lug nuts removed, I couldn't get the wheel to come off; it was stuck at the axle. DW walked back home to get some WD40 and a hammer. No joy. I had to call AAA just to come out with a bigger hammer and dislodge the wheel, grateful that a truck was just around the corner and arrived within minutes. I've changed flat tires all my life and this is the first one that's stymied me. DGD got dropped off by her mom and all continued with their day only slightly inconvenienced. We've got an appointment with our tire place this afternoon. I suspect we're facing the standard diagnosis, "You need four new tires."

nationalparker – Super Kudos for passing up that much junk food at the office. Sending supportive thoughts for you and your DB's family.

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds like a major step forward, "getting used to eating smaller portions of some things."

Readers -
Quote:

The concept made sense to Jeffrey. "I guess I've been buying into the idea that the damage has already been done so I might as well keep eating," he said. "When I was watching the game that day, it would have been much better if I had limited my mistake to just one extra piece of pizza."

"Right! Or if you put a more positive spin on it, you've made a mistake, but you can save yourself so many calories - and start strengthening your resistance muscle - the moment you catch yourself and stop."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 199

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-03-2017 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #6  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning everyone. I am back, took my Beck book out, dusted it off and decided I had slipped enough. I seem to take care of others all the time and realize it is my turn. I am eating healthy and taking care of me now. Food plan will be one designed for me and back up will be WW. Hello to everyone. Looking forward to reading posts and connecting with everyone. The hardest part for me is this first post. Thank you all for being here.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, still have not got to town thanks to Canadian weather. In my next life, I may have to forgo the doggage and big garden and live in the city.

But, I have been mindful about eating, have restarted taking my meds and actually dropped a few pounds last month. Aside from lectures and bloodwork from my doctor and diabetic RN, I have been reading a lot and actually took a heart and stroke evaluation that tells me I will live to 90. That's only 12 more years! Aaaaarrgggh! I need to make them the best possible years and make them eat their words.

Newlifestyle, welcome to Beck. I've been a member of 3FC since 1999 but this plan is my new place. Actually, as a SuperMod, I checked out your profile and found we live quite close to each other. We should meet for coffee sometime as I am in the city often.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #8  

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in. I had a great 6 mile hike with a friend this morning and then a walk with Otis later, so I have lots of steps in today. Otis just was at the groomer's yesterday and decided to stop thru a few puddles today. He was kind of trying my nerves.

Our company arrives about 6 this evening. I guess I'm ready. It's a pretty open schedule, for us two gals. The guys are going to the Phoenix Open tomorrow and golfing Saturday and Sunday. I'm trying to convince my niece to go to the Open also mostly because I think she would enjoy the people watching. Otherwise we will get a hike in each day.

I'm concerned about keeping my beer consumption down. They are not big drinkers at all, but sometimes I like to have a beer to relax when I have company, especially if they get annoying.

Well, I'd better do my last minute things.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #9  
Enjoying la bella vita

Waiting for DH to get home from work - I zipped home, walked the dog and have dinner on the stove - tonight is taco salads - the meat/veg phase, so have the ground turkey with homemade taco seasoning just about ready. Phase 2 meals seem to be just so basic. I have a big head of cabbage in the fridge that I forgot I had, but taco salad and cabbage just doesn't ring my bell. Tex/Mex/Irish.

Will weigh tomorrow and see how I'm doing maintaining. It's been a busy week and still fighting this dang cold, which is getting old. Activity has been basically nil - actually looking forward to breathing deeply without coughing. The sun shone today, so it seemed much warmer than mid-20s, until I got outside in the wind.

Hello, NewLifestyle! Good to see you here. And Ruthxxx, I couldn't handle your winters if even getting to town is a chore. You're hardier stock than I am. With a solid Canadian contingent in this thread, I need to hush up about our easier to get through winter

OneByOne - Hope the end of the week on your foodplan is finishing up strong! Stay focused on this goal you have. Every meal every day gets you one step closer to the habit as Beck says you're building that resistance muscle - and sometimes the resistance is just to straying from the plan, not necessarily trying to resist a particular food.

Bill - What a tire saga! Fingers crossed they won't say all four need replacement. Luckily I was always able to change the tire - they never got that stuck except for a cross-threaded lug nut one time. My Dad even set me up with an aluminum pipe for leverage in my car tool kit. Early on, I thought it was to clobber someone who tried to mess with me while I was changing my tire. He said, well, if you need that, but it's to add leverage. Daddies rock, haha.

Karen - Good luck with the company - you must be wonderful hosts - the word is out! I imagine they'll love spending time playing with Otis, too.

Lexxiss - Glad to hear that your trip went great! You do get right back to being busy! I feel like I've had a very lazy month here, but not sure where the time has flown! I check out a lot of kindle books and too many expire before I can even get deep into them, so it's not like I'm just laying around like a slug.

Joy - How is your week going? And your book club?

I'm still stumped on a birthday gift for DH. He decided that he wants a homemade chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, which is his typical birthday dessert - for when his family comes to celebrate the weekend after the Super Bowl - we won't combine the two this year. I am running out of time if it's an amazon idea. I'm running out of time no matter WHAT.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #10  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile

Hi Coaches

Food has been good this week. On Tuesday I wanted to celebrate with DH the successful wrapping up of my first special needs art class. The class has been renewed. We will start again in March, so yes, a success! We tried to go out to eat, in the restaurant where my art is hanging for another week, but they weren't open. Instead I celebrated by staying on plan! I really enjoyed it too. And I'm not even kidding! Again, tonight, I have celebrated by staying on plan. What am I celebrating today you may ask? Well my grant proposal for a steamroller printmaking event was accepted by the town I live in. Now I am freaking out as to how to get it done, but I am truly excited that I may be able to create this event here. Wow. And I am almost as thrilled I didn't eat to celebrate. Twice in one week! Momentous.

Have to go to sleep but wanted to share my great news.

Welcome back newlifestyle and hi again ruthxxx!

Last edited by onebyone; 02-02-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:08 AM   #11  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
My Dad even set me up with an aluminum pipe for leverage in my car tool kit.
So wonderful to read this. I've never met anyone else with one. My Dad gave me one too and it's in the car still. We call it a Samson because of the strength it gives you.

Still on low carb, high fat and it's working quite well. It looks as though my lower back problem might be finally sorted out after many years. I've added heavier weights back into my exercise regime and will be starting on high intensity interval training this week. I know you can't out-train your diet but it's going to help enormously.

I read this thread every day and always find something fascinating. Thank you for being here and sharing your weight loss travel.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:05 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - The Day the Music Dies (1959, Iowa cornfield)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Good news: the tire was repaired and we don't need four new ones. Our tire shop sent home the nail and triangular piece of metal that was lodged in the flat. I was so happy that I let them install a new 'cabin filter' which is a high profit item.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library to get the DVD of the movie Gaslight, from 1944 with Ingrid Bergman. It's an oldie that displays lying and insisting that the other person is making up things in order to drive them crazy. Also stopped by the hardware store for a new circular fluorescent light bulb for my desk magnifier lamp. Yay for hardware stores that keep such in stock so I don't have to have a basement full of spares.

onebyone – Just amazing that your "steamroller printmaking event" has been accepted. Do you own a steamroller? I did find a rideable Steamroller on eBay that's for sale right there in Ontario! Super Kudos for staying on plan even when wanting to celebrate.

silverbirch – Just love it that Samson has a name. Congrats for getting your back issue worked out.

Ruthxxx - "Forgo the doggage" just doesn't seem likely. Perhaps a LARGE city house with a butler to handle doggage and garden.

nationalparker – LOL at "Tex/Mex/Irish" - sounds like something you could pull off. [Hats off for carrying an "aluminum pipe" for helping the lug wrench.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for refreshing candor, "especially if they get annoying."

Newlifestyle - Super Kudos for "I am eating healthy and taking care of me now." It's so easy to skip oneself when taking care of others.

Readers -
Quote:

Jeffrey made the following reminder card:
There's no such thing as blowing it for the day.
Every bite of food I continue to eat has extra
calories. The more calories I eat, the more weight
I gain. Getting back on track at any point puts me
in a better position than if I wait even one moment
longer.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 200
Old 02-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #13  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Talking

Coaches

Popped awake excited about my grant being granted! Today I will call the town official who signed my letter and arrange a time to meet to discuss it. Maybe I won't need a face to face meeting but a phone call is required either way.

I also said to myself "you've lost weight" but, you know, my self-perception in these matters can be weird. So, wished, stepped on the scale and saw 264.6.
Wowsa.
Like Silverbirch, my foodplan is high fat low carb moderate protein and intermittent fasting. Working like a charm! In my program, during my first check-in a week ago, they reminded me the scale is not my friend.
It's true as all week I hovered at 270. 269. A 268. A 271. While last week I saw a 266, once. Never saw it again. So, perhaps, this 264 will be fleeting as well. I don't care though. It's like the groundhog peeking up to see his shadow yesterday. Eventually he'll be out in plain view and that 264 and less will just be what I weigh. I think this is the year this is happening for me Coaches. Finally.

Bye for now.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #14  
Enjoying la bella vita

Another successful week of maintaining (which sounds a bit weak, I know), but 151.4 this morning. Struggling a bit that DH is still losing, despite being on plan 70% of the time, he figures, because work lunches have been out daily, but at no financial cost to us. He works to order wisely, according to plan as much as he can, but knows there's added oils and extra sodium in so much. I feel like I've been on plan about 85% throughout the week, so being down only 0.2 pounds was a bit frustrating until I remembered that I was just trying to maintain. DH is to where he's only wanting to lose about 8 more pounds, but if he stayed here, he'd be fine.

Bill - Thanks for the reminder of Gaslight - I think I want to rewatch that one as well. Timely, sad to say.

OneByOne - Great job this week! Keep the focus and hard work and make this THE year!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #15  

Good afternoon coaches,

Busy day today being a hostess. Both sets of visitors arrived last evening about dinner time. We all had lasagna together. I did have a very small portion and so far so good on the food plan. Tomorrow is weigh in day at WW, so I am motivated to stay the course. My niece and I are going on a long hike in the Superstitions tomorrow after my WW meeting which is at 7 a.m. Great time for me.

Otis was afraid when the company first arrived because of the large golf travel bags and suitcases on wheels, but he quickly warmed up to everyone and loves all the attention he is getting when they are here.

I took everyone to the Phoenix Open golf tourney late morning and I will pick them up when they text. It is too difficult to park there and is only about 10 minutes from our home.

Nationalparker It is a bit frustrating that men lose easier than we do, but you are doing very well with maintaining. After all the weight you have lost that is very good.

Onebyone Good job on the weight loss and the grant acceptance. With all the success you are having with your art, teaching, etc., have you decided graduate school may not be necessary?

Bill That is good news about the tire. The trailhead that I'm going to tomorrow is the one where I got a flat tire a number of years ago and needed all new tires because it was an all wheel drive and the tread was worn just enough that I could not replace one. Hopefully that is a once in a lifetime deal.

Waving to everyone else! I have got to say I am a bit tired and think I'll catch a little rest before the company is all back.
Closed Thread