Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #136  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default 265

Coaches

Phone check in so excuse weird punctuation!

I am feeling frustrated with the scale. Stuck in and around 265 inspite of being on plan. Though I could be cleaner with my food, but still I am on plan. I had hoped to be close to 260/255 but can't seem to get there. You'd think having so much weight to lose my body would be thrilled to let it go? Not so. I can't really tell by measuring cause the tape measure isn't ever in the exact same spot. Doesn't seem to work well for me either. What does though is trying things on. So a couple of cotton shirts are almost wearable. These are not stretchy garments so if my arms are getting into them then there is change as they truly weren't before. I did have a sabotaging thought as I went to the mirror to see what this newly wearable shirt looked like on me. My brain said "Wow. All that work just to still look fat". That was a downer thought for sure.
I shook it off, but I do acknowledge my sabotaging brain. I also know that if I stay on plan the scale will move. It's just not as I expect it to.

Busy fun day planned for tomorrow. Trip downtown to meet SIL to check out two art events with lunch in-between. Tons of walking will happen.

I abandoned the art submission due midnight tonight. Couldn't decide on any real idea. I'm okay with not doing it. There is another opportunity coming up I want to do more and I already have the town supporting an event of mine which I'm not really discussing yet until I get some critical information. Plenty of stuff to go round. Don't need to do every little thing!

Have a good night.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:05 AM   #137  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning Coaches

Life has been so busy lately, with others needs. I need to remind myself that I need to support others and take care of myself also. Eating has been on plan, exercise has not been on plan. I should try and get my exercise in the morning so that it gets done. I was down one pound on weigh in and was a bit upset but then remembered if I was down a pound every week, I would not have gain all the weight back, so now I will gladly take the loss. DH has been crazy about crust less quiche/egg dishes and wants one every day. I think I have created a monster. It is on plan how I make it, but I don't want to eat eggs everyday. Probably not a real problem, should be thankful I get to choose what I eat.
I made a butternut squash/ sweet potato soup yesterday. It was very filling and tasted yummy.
Going to the movie today with DS, my goal is to say no to popcorn.
I hope everyone has a great day.
Take Care

Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 02-25-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #138  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - R.I.P. Tennessee Williams (1983, NY, NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At the supermarket I chose not to buy the cookies on sale, CREDIT moi. The old brain notes that I'd only eat them a few at a time - a terrific Sabotaging Thought - but eat them all I would. No evening snack since we went out where we walked, CREDIT moi, in the warm evening air.

Cultural expansion was seeing Tennessee Williams' play, The Night of the Iguana. James Earl Jones played Nonno - a sheer delight once I got over whispering to myself, "Luke, I am your father." There is an Iguana in the play, carried across the stage in a sack. At intermission, the line for the men's room was MUCH longer than the line for the woman's - never seen that before.

onebyone – Congrats for your NSV of arms going into a shirt where they previously didn't. Thanks for "Don't need to do every little thing!"

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Do I ever recognize this, "Because 'strange' days are becoming my normal." Super Kudos for your consistency with exercise.

maryann - Love the phrase, "Two salad day." Kudos for being understanding of your DB.

nationalparker – That catches my eye, "Breakfast included green beans today" - never done that, myself. Hope your siding holds on until the winds die down.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you're always open to a new trail. Perhaps your puppy is growing up.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Kudos for "my goal is to say no to popcorn" - it's so much easier with the plan under your belt.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#2: The Self-Criticizer Trap

She thought the following reminder card would help:
If I feel like I'm having a bad week, ask myself, is
that an accurate picture of what's going on? What
am I still doing well? Remember that a few mistakes
don't cancel out all the positives.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 205
Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Morning coaches!
I just had a lovely chat with a long distance friend, a nice way to start my weekend! We both happened to be on Facebook at the same time and were able to catch up. Social media can be quite handy at times!

Eating has been so so. Onwards to planning more than one day at a time! Im thinking of doing phase two of South Beach instead of phase one, and plan for some better desserts rather than abstaining for a long time and then crashing. I am glad I do like veggies anyhow, that always helps!

Newlifestyle- I have the same thought you do, of moving to a condo when the kids are in college. About 3-4 years, and we will need to do an incredible amount of purging too!

Bill- lol at Luke is my father! How wonderful to see him on stage, such a great actor and voice.

Karenrn- Definitely keep breathing those photos are going to have to wait a little longer! Part of it is the emotional piece which makes is to much harder than just paper clutter.

Nationalparker- your food always sounds so good! get rid of those size 14s, they are done forever!!
Wave to onebyone, maryann, gardener joy, lexis and anyone else!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Today is DS piano adjudication Certificate of Merit. It is always very nervewracking for me. My father's critical voice plays in my head picking out any mistake. I never want to do that to my son so I keep everything inside. Credit for the ten years we have done this and the fact that he still loves music. I must be doing something right.
I won't be there for the first time. I have my Brahms rehearsal. I baked coffee cake (never happens) to serve with sausage patties and fresh orange juice. Completely appropriate for my 5'8 132 pound boy. I am not tempted by any of it. He asked if we'll do our traditional run through where I pretend to be the announcer and introduce funny names before him like Daffy Duck and Batman. Then we clap for each. Then it is his turn. We started this when he was 4. It is so touching he still wants it.
Other good news is I'm finally back out of the 160s. I also have the new Pilates class before rehearsal.
So good to read about everyone. Have a great weekend.

Last edited by maryann; 02-25-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #141  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Posting here to regroup. I got a sabotaging thought (and following action) in my mind that the weekends are for letting go of more of our food plan than I had - and so again this weekend enjoyed a cup of Ciobar (Italian cioccolata/hot choc) and whipped creme. I sipped it while rethinking of my trip and savored every bit of it. My reasoning was - we still had milk (I bought it for DH's birthday to have for recipes for the cake/icing that I didn't want to do with almond milk. I had Ciobar last weekend. Savored it then. I was comfortable enjoying a cup every month, not every week. I brought home a lot on the last trip and then bought a number of packets on Amazon ... and now got my fresh supply on this last trip. I'm sure places with good Italian groceries/sections have access to it and it's nothing special, but there is not an Italian deli in this area.

Did my marketing this morning and faced the task of putting everything away while super hungry for late lunch. Credit for sticking to my plan and getting the cold stuff put away and then stopping to eat, before finishing it up. Started a recipe of chili and have that in the crock pot now. Will start tonight's soup later this afternoon (chicken tortilla soup) and doing a new recipe tomorrow for DH - crock pot mojo pork and Cuban black beans/rice. I'll have chili or leftover soup instead since I don't eat pork, but it sounds GOOD lime, lemon, orange juice, garlic, jalapeno, and spices.

I put my gardenia pots in the kitchen for the winter and (ahem) have been pouring the pets' water bowl water in them before washing the bowls and refilling. Apparently I pushed them into bloom mode because they're both blooming wonderfully! A nice mid-winter gift. I inhale deeply and thank my mom for my love of flowers that I'm sure came from her ... we used to have huge gardenias at home and neighbors came by to clip fresh blooms each day. When my mom couldn't get outside easily, my dad brought in a few every day to float in a bowl for her while they were blooming. Nice memories. When we lived in Italy, on Thursday the flower vendor would get in the fresh ones to sell for the weekend and my Dad would buy a lot of the cheap older flowers and bring them home. They still lasted a week ... one of my mom's friends had said, "eeewww you like it when he brings you carnations?" My mom was quite offended and I remember her talking to me about that later. How some people don't see gifts of love. That Dad was tired after his long shift, sometimes on duty for 24 hours, but he'd always stop to pick up those flowers because he knew they were special to her. They NEVER had money for fresh flowers until we lived there. Rambling. Sorry. Good memories.

Good luck, Maryann - sending good vibes your and your DS's way. Let us know how they went! Credit for sticking to your plan to see progress.

CurlyJax - I was lifted up last weekend talking to my friend from Florida ... we let too long go by between catching up. Good reminder to reach out sometimes. The time spent can fill our soul so much better than when I try to use food.

Oh, Bill - I've used that exact same thought - I'm not eating it all at once ... so it will be ok. Yikes. Credit to you for passing them up! (I then follow that thought with, or do I eat them at once to get the one spike and then go from there... hm.)

NewLifestyle - How many different types of crustless quiches do you make? You have me intrigued. We could do that on the weekend with our plan, I think. Of course, I don't come within a meter of broccoli - do you use other things? I, too, need to get my activity in gear. Maybe I'll cut this note off and get on the exercise bike while alone. Thank you for the oomph.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #142  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

Food on plan. Exercise today was just walking Otis. I had WW this morning and then greeter duty at Tom's Thumb. It was very busy at the trailhead. It was cold (42 degrees) when I arrived and it didn't get above 65 today, but a beautiful clear blue sky day.

I'm losing very slowly on WW. 3 pounds in 4 weeks, but I don't feel deprived at all, so that is a good thing.

Dh is in doing the dishes, but I wanted to get a quick post off. More tomorrow.

Karen
Old 02-26-2017, 01:23 AM   #143  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Short note

Coaches

Lots of walking today at two art events. Food good as well. Lots of inspiration. Just wanted to stop by. Hope your weekend is going well.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 AM   #144  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Napoleon Bonaparte escapes (1815, Island of Elba)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, wearing only a knit shirt. Just WOW! Unfortunately, I walked past a pile of FREE books on the curb. I only took Sue Miller's For Love even though there were others. I avoided asking myself why I needed a 25 year old novel to add to my stack - even though Sue Miller is one of my favorite authors. In the spirit of Beck's current quotes on accepting mistakes, CREDIT moi for leaving a stack of books that were calling my name.

Eating was OK. After dinner snack was the last half-slice of cake that had been left for us nearly a week ago. CREDIT moi that it lasted that long. We visited my DS's new puppy where I remembered that the purpose of a puppy is to sink razor sharp teeth into anything convenient. And to look so cute that all is forgiven. The puppy gets along well with their older dog so they succeeded in their goal to find it a companion.

onebyone – Walking while interested in something else is the best way to get exercise.

maryann - Hope adjudication went well - that both you and DS survived. LOL at the funny names introductions. Good Bye 160's.

nationalparker – Such special gardenia memories of your parents. Kudos for putting away food without nibbling.

Karen (karenrn) - That's a surprise that the trail was so busy near the end of February. Always Kudos for on plan.

curlyjax - Yep, liking veggies is a great basis for a food plan.

Readers -
Quote:

And Marisa decided, at least for the time being, to have a message pop up on her smartphone three times a day:
I may make a mistake today, and if I do, it doesn't mean I'm weak or
hopeless. I wouldn't think that about Jamie if she made a mistake.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 206
Old 02-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #145  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Coaches
What a weird day yesterday. After I finished posting DH and I went out walking as we walked by McDonalds he suggested we go in and he had a muffin and coffee and I had a coffee. I didn’t have a muffin because it wasn’t on plan. Then he decided he should come shopping with me later in the day. I should have said, “no!” I usually shop first thing in the morning and I do great not buying junk. I did well at first but finally just said, “I don’t care what you put in the cart.” I felt like I was shopping with a seven year old with no boundaries or rules. Others were laughing. I hope one day I find it funny. We got home and I made dinner that was planned. After dinner I saw my chocolate bar (that dh so kindly picked up for me, yes with caramel) sitting on the counter. Well I picked it up and had 3 squares, then I proceeded to eat a small bag of chips. I felt out of control. I also had a banana muffin not on plan. Finally went to bed and when I woke up this morning, stepped on the scale and was down 3 pounds. I wasn’t going to weigh myself today because Friday is my weigh in. What was most frustrating is I am down 10 pounds in 3 weeks and in one night going off plan I am down 3 pounds. I realize this is not accurate and on Friday my true weight will show. Also DS wanted to go to the movie today instead of yesterday, so will not have popcorn. The good think about this is that I am back in the mindset to stay on plan realizing that last night is done.

Bill – We are planning a cruise and usually leave from New York. DH was thinking of trying to book a cruise out of Boston. Do you know if the parking by the port would be convenient?

Onebyone – sounds like you had a great day.

Maryann - How fun announcing funny names and giving your DS your presence. Making beautiful memories with him.

Nationalparker – I make many different kinds of quiche. It depends what I have in the fridge. One day I had roasted veggies left (onions, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and peppers), it turned out to taste delicious. I make asparagus and cheese, Salsa, chicken, parmesan cheese and onion, cheese and veggies, mushroom, onion and tomato, ham and pineapple, spinach, I just add different veggies and spices and the only one I really wasn’t keen on was the ham and pineapple, it was weird tasting sweet eggs to me. Also one day my husband wanted bacon in it so I just cooked 4 slices of bacon for the whole quiche and it had a great bacon flavour. I am making mini quiche in large muffin tins and DH can just grab one when he wants one.

Karen- it is great you found a plan where you don’t feel deprived. You make me want to get out and walk more.

Curlyjax – I was just thinking if we even did 30 minutes a week after a year we will have made a big dent in our stuff. Are you up for the challenge? Thanks for the motivation to start.

Hello to Debbie, Ruth and Silverbirch and everyone else. Have a great day and take care.

Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 02-26-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
DS had a friend over for dinner last night, so i went all out with homemade chicken tenders (where were actually crunchy for once! they were fabulous!) and watermelon, and a choice of either broccoli or cabbage salad (Dh’s specialty). So for once I filled my plate with half vegetables as you are supposed to. The teenaged friend actually ate both vegetables, I was very impressed! Then I ate way too much ice cream, boo, but the rest of the day was pretty healthy.

I know food planning is important but I do get a little sick of thinking about it all the time, and shopping and preparing and cleaning up. If I ever win the lottery I am hiring a personal chef!!

Enough whining- as someone else said, I am grateful I have the money to buy food, and the ability to go whenever and wherever I please- and VERY grateful DH is able to eat anything and help make dinners too, which wasn’t the case last spring.

Maryann- wonderful that your son is involved in music. It is something he can do his entire life.
Nationalparker- what a wonderful memory of your parents!
Newlifestyle-I think I am up for the clean out challenge! I have to get DH to get onboard, a lot of it is his But I have started a bit.
It is hard when other family members bring food junk into the house, I can definitely sympathize with that!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

What a luxury posting from my computer instead of my phones. My quiet half hour in the morning for prayer and meditation cannot accommodate start up time for my laptop. I wonder about a time when I will not have every minute scheduled. Certainly summers are more like that. I don't want to think about when DS is gone. That is too much time. Oh Well. To every season.

We celebrated DS getting through a three hour theory test and a half hour performance. Results are posted on the 28th. He is excited because now he can start track and field. He is going to try pole vaulting. Wow. I confess I tell him daily how proud I am of him. Is that too much? I don't know. It just pops out of my mouth. He is humble and kind with a good work ethic and eagerness to learn. DH and I feel so lucky.

My Brahms rehearsal was with the official conductor. What an artist. We went nearly measure by measure. He said things like "Last beat of measure 39 - notice the vertical alignment. You have to hit that major chord or the audience won't be lead to the beginning of the fugue." I laughed to myself thinking "My husband will be the audience. You couldn't lead that farmer to the fugue with a rope around his neck." Still it is good to be challenged in my art. it has been a long time.

Credit yesterday for exercise and a green smoothie. I have a planned walk this morning. That's three exercise times this week. I hope things are settling back to normal.

Interested in retirement plotting like nationalparker and decluttering with onebyone. Lent begins Wednesday. I will will not buy any new clothes during Lent. That will help me refocus on needs not wants. Also, I'll give save the money for my approaching retirement. I had a goal that when I went back full time I would save the extra income. I am doing pretty well. I can easily retire from the district in three years. It would be nice to have a chunk of change in the bank to supplement the pension. Teachers don't receive social security in California. Although I may not retire, it would be nice to have options. It strikes me that that is the benefit of discipline. I have options. Just like with food, the more disciplined I am with the plan, the more my life opens up because of good health and emotional well being.

KarenRN: Remind me of Otis' breed. I need to picture him better when you write about him.
Newlifestyle: I have laid it on the line for my family about sweets in the house. I feel bad about it but what can I do? I literally will it eat it all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-26-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #148  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan and I just got back from a walk with Otis. He is so energetic on the walks. There were lots of people out today, so he got some attention for being so darn cute.

The sermon at church today was about Self-control. It is part of a series about practicing qualities of faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, Godliness, brotherly affection and love. Our pastor has self control in many areas, but he admits food is his downfall. He particularly cannot have Cheese Its (sp) in the house. The sermon was very good and he touched on 1) Don't feed unhealthy habits; 2) Avoid pathways to temptation; 3) Practice discipline "Habits eat will power for breakfast." John Ortberg; 4)Distinguish between feelings and consent. (You can make a choice even if you don't feel like it.) and, 5) Keep your focus on Jesus (as in Help me) for those of us who are of that persuasion.

I thought they were very good examples of what we do when we are successful with our food plans.

I am meeting dh after golf to get together with the fellow he is golfing with and his wife, so that will be fun. I'm making a low calorie supper since I think we may have an appetizer together.

Maryann You should be very proud of your son, he sounds like a terrific young man. Otis is a tri colored Cocker Spaniel. He is black, white and tan. He has a black mask around his eyes and tan eyebrows. His mask makes him look pretty serious. He is about 14 pounds now and can jump up on many things. Yesterday he jumped up on the kitchen chair and then walked from chair to chair which were pushed in under the table.

Curlyjax Oh I wish I could get inspired about getting rid of a few things. Right now I can't even get inspired about housework cause Otis follows me around and wants to eat the laundry, the blankets, etc. I am looking forward to him getting a little older. As it is I sometimes wait until dh gets home and then go in a room and close the door to get anything done.

Ann Good job on the weight loss. I can't imagine having a bunch of goodies in the house. Luckily my husband tends to be a little fluffy and is usually trying to watch it a bit too.

Bill Yes that is a puppy's purpose. I'm looking forward to the puppy teeth being gone. As for being busy at the trailhead. This is prime hiking season here. Pretty much February thru maybe April. After that it starts getting warm enough that the hikes have to be earlier in the day and not as long.

Onebyone Glad things are going well!

I hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #149  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Brief check-in tonight. I left myself get frustrated today and wish I'd just let my thoughts come and go instead of linger. Yet again, one more weekend seemed to be just meal planning, marketing, meal prep, kitchen cleanup and office work and two errands. I need a solution. Chest freezer? Garage is too small. Or we have too much stuff more likely...maybe I could cook up double batches and freeze more but my fridge top freezer won't hold more now. Will work on a solution.

NewLifestyle - Those quiches sound yummy! I like the idea of popping them in the muffin tins ... adding sweet potatoes could work for us, as well. Hmmm.

Gotta hit the sack - more personals tomorrow. I'm going to return to Bill's suggestion to sometimes just do a few - I feel like a failure when I don't catch up w/everyone.

Last edited by nationalparker; 02-27-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 AM   #150  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Dominican Republic gains independence (1844, from Haiti)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. At service, a man had a loud 'event' and had to be led out to an ambulance. He's recovering in the hospital now, but it was a dramatic reminder that we don't know what'll happen next.

Evening snack was a pair of Clementines - such good little things they are. CREDIT moi for a tad of healthy eating. Reminds me that last time DGD was here I was feeding her pieces of Clementine wedges when I made the HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, mistake of leaving a 1 cm bit of white stuff. She made it clear that I was a failed granddad, LOL.

maryann - Your Brahms rehearsal comments remind me that there's so much happening in a musical performance that I miss. Kudos for even being able to think of your DS going up on a pole vault.

nationalparker – Good luck finding a solution to the time this meal prep business takes.

Karen (karenrn) - That sermon could be inserted into Beck's books - thanks for sharing.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Kudos for avoiding the muffin and then the movie popcorn. [Interesting, I found this site advertising $20/day (and $24/day reached via another link ???). But offsite Logan Airport parking is advertised for $11.95 or $9.99/day. One of the offsite places should service the cruise terminals.]

curlyjax - I'm all for "a personal chef!!" Super that your young guest ate the veggies. Yay for the progress your DH has made.

Readers -
Quote:

Practicing these new ideas, Marisa was finally able to start giving herself credit for practicing her skills and engaging in positive eating behaviors. Over time, she became less self-critical not only about eating mistakes but also about mistakes in other parts of her life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 206
Closed Thread