Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #106  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

A slightly over-sized snack yesterday, but it didn't trigger cravings this time. That's good, but points out the danger, too. There are things that I think I can get away with because, sometimes, I do get away with them. Other times, they bring about a downfall, so it's still better to follow my plan!

CREDIT for having a plan written today that takes into account multiple meetings.

Weigh-in: NA
Exercise: +45, 670/1200 minutes for January
Food: 90% op
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: I walk outside and add a little something else (stretching or strength-training) inside, most days. It helps that I can take a walk in the mid-afternoon -- I'd need a different plan if I had to exercise at night.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 01-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #107  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food on plan yesterday, but no big exercise. Today I went for a 2 hour hike after physical therapy. It was a bit nippy out, but fine once I got going and headed up the hill. Poor Otis was home for about 4 hours by himself, but he seemed to manage just fine. This afternoon I had to be home for the cable guy. We have had some intermittent problems. It seems it is from one of the cables that is strung through the house and would be nearly impossible to replace. I think we'll have to look at it when we do the kitchen remodeling because that's where it goes through. I did get a name of a kitchen and bath designer from an acquaintance who is a realtor in the area. I figure even if we don't do anything for a year, it is going to take some planning. Also, Otis needs to get older and I need a break before we do something that big.

In the book I finished listening to today, The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before you Die,he also talked about having someone to be accountable to for the changes you want to make. More reinforcement that we are good for each other.

Maryann In your post yesterday it seemed you had come to the same conclusion that I would have which is, take what you need to keep doing what you want to do in hopes it gets easier and you don't need the med. Like you said, you are doing everything in your power to diminish anxiety; but you don't want to quit living life. At least that's the conclusion I thought you were coming to.

Bill Glad dw found some good old Crayons and Play Doh. I can't believe how many crappy toys there are available and how many most kids have. I am certainly glad I grew up in the good old days where we used our imaginations and played outdoors more often than not.

NatureGirl I still have all my quilting things but haven't used for so many years. What are you working on? I always think it would be something to do to keep my hands busy, but I don't want to be shut away in the bedroom to do it.

Nationalparker I hope your test today is over and that when you get the results they are nothing at all. You know what . . the lemon bars were really too sweet. I think I would rather just have a shortbread cookie.

Onebyone I hope the weekdays are going easier for you than the weekend.

GardenerJoy Good job on the continued exercise. I have been hit or miss lately and hoping to get back to my regular.

Hope the week is going well for everybody!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

My scan is over and will wait for results in two days. Out of my control. DB was able to get his chemo today, so we're thankful for that. Funny how it changes from how horrible and unfair to have to have chemo to relief that the treatments aren't delayed more.

We are in a long gray spell - no snow/ice for a week, so that's good, but how dreary it is. I should know to expect this for Dec.-mid-March (the gray skies) but it still really hangs over me. Bleh. I guess it's good that it rolls in here when the days are short.

I had the strangest occurrence at the hospital - It really floored me for several minutes. I was waiting in radiology and they wheeled an older woman toward me - she was my mom's doppelganger. The same "beauty shop" hairstyle with very thin gray hair, the same coloring, shape, face shape, glasses frames, eyes, cheeks, gray non skid footies - everything. I stood up and went to take a step and got goosebumps. Then she was gone. I can't get that out of my mind. Never has that ever happened before with someone so incredibly close to me...it's often people i work with or acquaintances. I was explaining to DH and just got through that the woman looked like mom and he walked off, saying "that's strange" ... Um. Ok. I wanted to go through everything that was exactly the same.

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-17-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Rare evening check in. Exhausted and I don't want to overeat planned dinner. I only need a small portion. Rest and relaxation is what I really need.

Karen: yes I have the same conclusion. I must live and the medication helps me do that for today.

NP: strange about your mom's twin. I have had experiences like that before. I can barely stop myself saying hi.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Freezing rain and ice all the way home – 35 minute trip took a white knuckle hour. Still coming down. The school district already announced that we will be 2 hours late in the morning. I am getting really tired of this winter driving!

On plan at school except for a low blood sugar episode this morning. Fixed it with almonds and chocolate soy milk and went back to salad, etc. for lunch. Resisted skittles & sweet tarts. When I staggered out of the car after the horrible drive home I did indulge in a large cup of hot chocolate spiked with peppermint schnapps. But went back on plan for spaghetti & chicken meatballs, measured, for dinner.

Karenrn I tried to attach a couple pictures of quilts I'm currently working on, but I just can't get it to let me....don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:54 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - A.A. Milne born (1882, Pooh Corner)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to a book reading at the local book store. We got there early to get good seats since we knew the author and expected a crowd. The Sabotaging Thought arose that we should just take the car because rain threatened, but we, halfway there, turned around to get umbrellas and walk back. After the event we left in pouring rain glad that we'd ducked back for umbrellas.

Dinner at Panera Bread squeezed between some afternoon stuff and the book reading. I ate OK - they insist on a piece of baguette as a FREE side dish. Huh! A baguette as a side dish to a sandwich? Oh Well. We stopped by the bookstore to buy the book before so I read it to DW while we ate. Then got it autographed after the reading.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Always Kudos for planning around your meetings instead of just caving.

Nature Girl – Ouch for having a long ride in freezing rain. Kudos for getting right back on plan.

maryann - Walking sticks are just the best. I resisted for awhile, thinking them just for old folks in training to use walkers, until I saw pictures of the Swiss using them at all ages.

nationalparker – Strange, indeed, the story of your mom's doppelganger. Glad that your DB is back on track with his treatments.

Karen (karenrn) - Good planning, "Also, Otis needs to get older and I need a break before we do something that big." A neighbor had their kitchen redone and ordered out for a full year.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

Creating Escape Plans for Psychological Traps

Consider this sample escape plan as you create your own.
Escape Plan: Psychological Trap
Situation #1: I feel so discouraged. It just feels like this whole week was so hard.
. . .
Sabotaging Thoughts: I wasn't able to keep it up in the past.

Reminders: Now I know how to diet. I didn't know how before.

Strategies: List the foundation strategies I have already learned.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 195
Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #112  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hello Friends!

It's proving to be a long Winter with this ongoing road project. I look forward to breaks from the cold but when it warms everything is mud. I have found two spots a block away where I can remote start my car when it's cold. After the mountain lion encounter it's a little creepy walking down the middle of an empty street at 5am with two small dogs in tow. I find myself very "alert".

Food and planning ala Beck is very good. I went back to my South Beach Plan with modifications from FMD. I am never going more than 3 hours without a snack/meal and have cut way down on caffeine and artificial sweeteners. I pack a lunch every day now. Weight trickles down which is always better than "trickles up".

I have been working very hard at many different things. I'm really trying to declutter to a point where absolutely everything has a place. That thought is allowing me to let go of more "stuff". It fills my time in the mornings. Another priority has been getting my mom out and about. She seems to be doing well. I'm also putting a lot of thought into my summer yard/garden projects. My new soil opens new possibilities. Last week I went into DH's shop and started a Beneficial Bug Box modeled after one I saw at our botanic gardens. It's turning out well….will finish it tomorrow. Next week my sister and I are driving to New Mexico with pups to visit a friend AND just take a break. I'm looking forward to it. NM was the destination of many childhood (and adult) vacations.

I wanted to post personal hellos but time is ticking by. I'm prepping for a to Denver taking my mom to an appointment. I need to retrieve the car and unload some items then reload with recycle before the road crew shows up. Get myself ready (including lunch) and get my pups to daycare.

Take care everyone! I am with you in spirit.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #113  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Food was within calories yesterday thanks to a 2 hour hike. I can't seem to stay in losing mode, but maintenance mode seems to be going very well. I plan to get out for a good hike this morning, but I'm waiting for it to get a little over 50. Food is planned for the day. Otis doesn't like the Vitamix cause it's too loud so he is sitting in his crate in the family room with the door open. I'm glad he's thinking of it as a safe place. Yesterday I took him walking on his leash out front and we went to the end of the block and back. It seems like things have just clicked for him as far as the leash goes. I'm feeling better about that since I would really rather walk him than chase him around the backyard to tire him out.

Lexxis You are a busy gal as usual. I was reflecting yesterday on what I did in life that seemed to provide the most meaning and I think it was the time spent with my parents when they were older. I used to tell myself I didn't want to have any regrets, but it ended up being much more than that. Your Mom is lucky to have you getting her out and about.

Bill I admire that you get out and walk in the rain. My hike for next Saturday was moved due to the weather forecast. Darn it though I can't go the next day. I'll get out today and as many days as possible when it isn't raining.

Nature Girl I would love to see pictures of your quilts. I can't believe the weather you've had to drive in. I would have white knuckles too.

Maryann Hope you got some rest and relaxation last night. How is the school term starting out?

Nationalparker That is eerie about seeing the woman who so closely resembled your Mom. I haven't had that happen with my Mom or Dad, but I did have that experience after my brother died.

I'm trying to make a plan for the day. I like to hike in the morning, but it feels so cold out that I should really go through the closet in the office. It is a wide closet with drawers underneath. There are shelves inside and most of my hiking gear is in there along with boxes of photos, record albums, etc. Some of it is dh's and is "do not touch", but I could reorganize a bit. Maybe I'll put some good music on and get to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I hope the day goes well for all of you!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #114  
Green Tomatoes

I indulged in some stress eating yesterday. maryann's reflections on how living a full life creates some anxiety helped. If I'm going to do things like make a statement before the school board, I'm going to feel anxious. The trick is to find other tools besides overeating to deal with it. So, I wrote in my journal, practiced reading my statement, took a walk, and distracted myself with another project -- and stopped eating! CREDIT! And, thanks, maryann! My statement went well and garnered a (rare) response from the superintendent at the meeting so it looks like we're headed in the right direction.

Weigh-in: -0.1 kg
Exercise: +35, 705/1200 minutes for January
Food: 80% op
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I slip the baquette "side" into my purse and bring it home for a treat for DH. They offer an apple option, but it's never a good apple (even during apple season), so I quit doing that.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #115  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Test results came back all clear early today; I wasn't even expecting them until tomorrow. That's a relief, but wondering what is causing the issue, but will be glad nothing was turned up.

DH will be home a bit later and I asked him to stop and pick up a rotisserie chicken for our lunches tomorrow if he's inclined. If not, no worries. I just don't put in much thought at all to these phase 2 meals. I think I went overboard trying to save some time tonight, though, and chopped up nearly a whole head of cabbage and simmering it in the hearty veg broth. I should have split between two pots, I think. Regular boiled cabbage - bleh. But in veg stock, it tastes completely like a different food to me. I do like it raw, in cole slaw, and on our plan we can have safflower mayonnaise. We bought that a while back, so I'll see if DH wants some this weekend - it won't "go" with what we're eating, I don't think, but maybe I can wiggle the menu around a bit. Thanks for the idea a while back, GardnerJoy!

Busy workday but got a lot accomplished. Nice to have a short work week, and only have two more days remaining.

Bill - My favorite things to play with at my Nana's home were the "non-toys" - old purses, wallets, fake money, receipt pads/order pads when older. My "babies" slept in shoe boxes Down the line when she'll sit and listen for longer, you'll have to introduce her to Cinnamon Bear and some of the classic christmas radio old time shows.

Karen - Do you get much walking done with Otis or are neighbors always stopping you to pet him? How is he with strangers on the street - shy? Though our dog isn't young/little, we always do get stopped because she looks so approachable and cute (biased, right?) haha - but she looks so sweet that kids often stick their hands up to her. Luckily she loves children, so no nipping issue.

Lexxiss - Great to hear that you'll be able to get away for a break. Hoping you have safe travel weather and a wonderful time. This road project has impacted your day-to-day life in ways I wouldn't have thought about to start with. You are a roll-with-the-flow gem!

NatureGirl- Quilting is something I'd love to do when I'm no longer working (and am not living where my fingers crack in winter... if you figure out how to post a pic, fill me in on how because I've never figured it out here. I can link to things, but never post my own. (Maybe that's a saving grace for you all!) haha

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-18-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone checkin.
Waiting in car for DS music lessons. It is a dark and stormy night. Nature girl made me grateful though with no ice.

Made very good OP choices. Good set for tomorrow.

This afternoon I felt like I was really teaching something today. We are watching 12 Angry men. I have assigned each student a character. They must do an attribute study and backstory. This movie is so topical. I told them what is the defender was black? Muslim? Mexican? Indian? I have all those kids in my classes. They are really getting that Henry Fonda is about compassion and true justice- not just the appearance of justice. So I feel better about teaching. I'm working hard but without the heartache of last semester. Don't want to jinx it.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

At 6 AM we got the report that there was ice basically all over the eastern part of the state and our school district was closed. What a relief! It had rained all night and frozen onto everything, and I was pretty scared about the trip. Didn’t leave the yard until 4 this afternoon when I walked out to the mailbox with the pup and fell down on the way back in. Boy that ice is hard! But just my rear end and dignity are injured, and dog did not run away.
Fiddled around all day with small projects – there’s been plenty of time for that lately!! Baked two kinds of cookies: GF oatmeal raisin for DH and ‘everything else free’ for me. The recipe came with my program and they aren’t incredibly delicious, but I’m hoping they will help me when I’ve got a real craving for something sweet. Because the others are gluten free, I will be able to stay away from them because they “belong” to DH.
On plan with just a tiny amount of licking the beater. I’m finding I do much better on school days when the schedule is tight and I know just what to eat when. These unstructured days make me need to think about food too much…what have I eaten, what is planned, did I finish all my allotted lunch items, etc. I’m actually, once I record it all, quite a ways under right now, but I’m still stuffed from the huge mound of broccoli and carefully measured chicken mole & rice.
Forgot to weigh Tuesday and this morning - curious how this second week has gone. I'm going to remember for sure tomorrow morning.
It's still icy and sleeting out there - sure wonder what the morning will be like.

Last edited by Nature Girl; 01-19-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #118  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile Checking in

Coaches

Another day has flown by. The week is going easier food wise than the weekend did. I just got back on plan right away and stuck to it in spite of "scale rise"
I was rewarded with a drop this morning and I hopped on tonight and it has fallen further. Yay. But we'll see what the morning reading says.

I did excellently (no way that's a real word, is it?) at the theatre where they serve you food at your seat. I told.myself to stop eating when full/when the little voice says to stop. I at half my (planned) small popcorn and half the (planned) deep fried dill pickles. I was shocked. And it wasn't hard either. And now, a few hours later I feel really good about doing that. I feel happier about it after the fact than I did in the moment cause I was not sure my intuition was right, but I did it anyway.

This foodplan is causing me to face many food actions and decisions head on. I am ready to challenge my own beliefs and willing to sit through whatever discomfort arises without using food to cope. This will be a necessary skill set if I aim to lose 100lbs+.
Credit+.

We also had freezing rain yesterday. Half my class stayed home. That was fine. I didn't fall but several people I know did. One person twisted her ankle and other fell and broke a tooth! Yikes. We're above zero now, even at night so that ive and snow is melting once more. But that won't last. Not until the end of April can I trust the snow to stay away.

Tomorrow I am filling in for a friend with her class in the afternoon. The extra cash is welcomed as much as the *practice* of teaching who h is how I see my teaching days everytime I go. I feel I am being paid to learn and I steadily improve and become more confident. Today I sent off a proposal for my own relief printmaking class or workshop. I will send the same.proposal to the town where I live who also offer continuing education workshops and classes.

Coaches, I am going for it!

Have a good night.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #119  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Edgar Allan Poe born (1809, Boston)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was DGD exercise day, CREDIT moi. I'm nearly 100% the one who lifts her up and down to high chair, changing pad on the bed, and car seat so my resistance exercises are done. We finally crossed the line when we stayed too long in the play space where she got hungry - super fussy hungry. When Beck says "Hunger is not an emergency," she didn't mean for 16 month olds, LOL. We survived, but I'll never be anywhere without a string cheese in my pocket for such an event.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including patio grilled salmon for dinner. It can be grilled in the rain since the setup is four feet from our back door. I just reread The Raven as well as the brief snippet of Poe's life. I'd forgotten how depressing it was. I do wish I could write as fluidly as "silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each purple curtain."

onebyone – Kudos for eating only half of the planned popcorn. I'm one of those folks who need to serve only the portion planned since I'll eat every kernel when I'm watching a show.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good strategy, "distracted myself with another project." [I'd noticed that: when Panera gives an apple, I don't particularly like it.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for continued work on decluttering - something that I seriously need.

Nature Girl – Yay for a school district recognizing that ice does not make for safe travel. I recognize that a tight schedule makes it easier to stay on the path.

maryann - Love the thought of "really teaching something."

nationalparker – Negative test results is a relief. Yay for a healthy body. [Thanks for the reminder that "non-toys" can be accumulated for DGD's visits. And thanks for the link to Cinnamon Bear - it's new to me.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for Otis taking to the leash so that walking becomes possible.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

Creating Escape Plans for Psychological Traps

Consider this sample escape plan as you create your own.
Escape Plan: Psychological Trap
Situation #1: I feel so discouraged. It just feels like this whole week was so hard.
. . .
Sabotaging Thoughts: It's not worth it to keep it up.

Reminders: It is worth it to get the advantages on my list.

Strategies: Give myself double credit for staying on task when it feels difficult.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 195
Old 01-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #120  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Good Morning!

Yesterday was extremely long. Mom had two appointments which took forever then we had many errands. I didn't get home until almost 7. Kirk wanted me to come over but I work tomorrow. At first I thought about it then decided not to. It's snowing up above and I didn't want to get in a pickle getting back. I will move forward with my chores today, work tomorrow then do all my packing for my trip on Saturday. We were going to enjoy Thai food for lunch but ended up at the hospital cafeteria. I made a big salad and it was the best meal. Credit. Mom and sis were not so happy with their choices. Got home and made the better choice for dinner and practiced resistance skills when I wanted a second "snack". I'm back to my 5 minute free weights in the morning. I stopped when I injured myself in September. All seems well now with my body...just need to get back to my healthy habit.

BBE, lol on food being an emergency. Kudos for choosing string cheese rather then the many other not so healthy choices.

Onebyone, glad to hear things are going well. You seem to be adjusting to the new experience of teaching. It sounds fun to create some of your own classes. Kudos for good choices at the theatre.

NatureGirl, sorry about your fall. Glad you weren't hurt worse. Kudos for baking two kinds of cookies which fit both of your needs. I find things are not incredibly delicious, either, but they definitely help the craving for something and are so much healthier!

Maryann, neat story on your new teaching….a movie I've never seen. Yay for very good OP choices.

Nationalparker, glad to hear your tests didn't show anything. I love the boiled cabbage with a generous amount of black pepper and enough salt to take away the bland. Interesting you can have safflower mayo. On which phases! Thanks for kind wishes for my trip….we may pick up a rotisserie chicken in Santa Fe from Wh.Foods.

Gardenerjoy, neat that MaryAnn's reflections helped you with your stress/anxiety. Neat that your statement garnered a rare response from the super.

Karen, neat to hear how Otis is progressing. How did reorganizing go?

Ok, off to my day. Spontaneous exercise will be cleaning my living room carpet....now....it will not happen later.
Closed Thread