Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #31  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Had good exercises and food on plan yesterday, credit.

This morning I've been to PT and I'm not sure if I'll get out for a hike or not. I will do a couple more sets of PT exercises and hike tomorrow for sure.

GardenerJoy Don't you love it when you aren't hungry? I love those days when I can follow my plan without a second thought of, "what can I have to eat now?"

Bill Darn that little squirmer. Sure glad she's all right. They are so fast. The black eyed peas and ham sounds good although I've never had it. It makes me hungry for split pea soup with ham which I'm going to make one of these days soon.

Nature girl I keep looking at that cauliflower rice, but now that you've tried it for me, I don't think I need it just yet. I think I'm doing pretty well substituting zucchini and summer squash for pasta.

Onebyone Bummer that you had to rush out and teach a class that wasn't even your responsibility. I would think you look real good in their eyes for going above and beyond. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think after your Friday appointment.

Nationalparker I hope you're feeling better soon and glad you weren't sick on the trip. I'm glad you got to enjoy so many good food treats with such a small weight gain. I bet you'll be back down to your low in no time. I know when I've had a number of treats it's often a relief to go back to a really healthy way of eating.

Maryann I hope you're having a great time in San Antonio!

Ruthxxx Welcome and I'm glad you've joined us. I think the Beck Principles work with any good food plan. It's just an added assist.

The pup woke me at 2:30 and was little sick to his stomach. He was up for a couple of trips outside to potty and I did finally get back to sleep for about an hour. I see he is napping now and I think I just may join him for a short bit.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #32  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hopefully this will be the last of the sick days I take ... feeling better after I've been up a few hours, but then fell asleep this afternoon. Did make a quick chicken and rice soup with leftover rotisserie chicken, and that ended up being dinner tonight, so while sticking with the foods on the plan, added a bit of brown rice to the menu tonight in the soup, instead of none. We're still wavering with do we stick with it as much as we can or now work on incorporating it to work in our lives, doing as she says to: So stick with the Fast Metabolism Rules: Keep exercising, keep making your own foods, keep eating regular, balanced meals (three meals and two snacks), and drinking lots of water. Eat only what comes from the land, earth, sea and sky. Steer clear of ingredients you can’t pronounce, chemicals, colors and preservatives. If you want those things, head to a hardware store, not the grocery store. (Haylie Pomroy) ... Her suggestions are to either eat as if every day is phase 3 (the most wide open day), with no grains at lunch. Doable! Or ... keep doing the phases with modifications ... Or just stick with it a while longer if more weight to lose. Honestly, all three are appealing to us.

FINALLY figured out my operator error on the ticker - when I actually met my goal (yay) and then reset it down further a few weeks later, I changed the wrong number, so it continued to say you're past your goal, reading my 145 as my weight not my goal. All set! I keep changing it weekly but then forgot which was the current vs. goal in the ticker lineup Thanks! Now at 150.6, so down a pound or so from before we left. On Phase 2 of our program and have been hungry, so eating steadily the phase-appropriate stuff. Dinner tonight will be the tuna on salad. At least I don't taste a lot ha!

Bill - Hang in there with DGD's tumbles - hard to witness, I'm sure. And of course she won't remember that the next time she goes careening off. And remember you're still way ahead of the folks with stone floors, staircases, etc.

Ruthxxx - Welcome! As you read through the BDS, it'll be a good nudge for me to get my book out - I've been here a few years (!) but honestly not sure that I ever made it through the full book steadily.

Karen - Hope the pup is back to feeling his normal, exploring self. I worry a lot about my pets when they're ill (or even when they're not really but I think they're acting "off").

A resolution of mine is to work to not worry about posting complete personals and get back into the groove of doing several each note. I struggle with holding onto a post to add more to it and get in personals and then get timed out or forget to post completely.

I've had back pain between my shoulder blades for several days now. It's bugging me but not sure any stretching I'm doing is helping it at all. Enough to make me catch my breath. And of course, when coughing, it's not helping.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Down .5 # so feeling confident that spike was the exception, not the rule. Phewwww!
Stared down Skittles and Sweet-tarts today – I use them once a week for a reward with the kids, and I had honestly forgotten about them. I actually had them in my hands, giving them to students, and my mouth actually watered, thinking of them, but I resisted. Not sure how.
Another day on plan, with 1 fruit and 1 veggie still allowed tonight if needed. Making those lunches ahead was genius – it leaves me only thinking about one meal a day to make decisions for. And I have a plan (and a plan B) for tomorrow night’s dinner.
Looking for a hike for this weekend.
Karenrn the Cauli-Rice is a pretty good way to pack a couple more servings of cruciferous vegetables into the diet, and I hope I will learn how to season it (within program rules, of course) to make it more appealing. I don’t love it – it tastes like nothing- but so do potatoes unless you put yummy stuff on them or in them.
BBE - I was the first one to let DGS fall on his head and my daughter witnessed it. I'm lucky I was allowed to ever be around him again! But now, at 3 1/2, he's a walking disaster zone, riding his bike and scrambling on the climbing wall his Daddy built him and leaping over both sofas in one jump. Or trying all of this and often crashing and burning. Scabs and bruises seem to be badges of honor at this point.

Last edited by Nature Girl; 01-05-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone!
A quick wave. I am weaning myself off all the goodies that were around on the holidays, but more keep popping up, like free fabulous muffins and some chocolates appeared yesterday, yikes. I haven’t been good at resisting, but today is a new day!
I did have two nights of going to bed feeling slightly hungry which is good, i need to embrace the “hunger is not an emergency” concept again.

I am continuing to get some kind of exercise in most days, if even for only 10 minutes. My quads have been aching, particularly my right one, and seem to do so whether i exercise or not, which is really annoying. It was really hurting the other day, and i remembered the foam roller we have that runners use for self deep tissue massaging their legs etc. It was painful to use but i felt better right afterwards so that was great! I thoroughly recommend it.

An overall goal i have is to make sure i work towards some smaller goal every day, and i’m trying to keep a record so i can see tangible results. So last night it was attending a workshop on starting the college planning process, yikes! and discarding a few things from my bureau.

ruthxxx- good to see you! I read the south beach forum for quite awhile so i recognized your name right away!
Karenrn- hope the pup is better! goodness, its just like having a baby!
Happy Friday all!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Samuel Morse demonstrates telegraph (1838, Morristown, NJ)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Recovering from yesterday's bump on the head for DGD, DW and I drove to the detested Toys R Us to buy gates for the two sets of stairs to prevent the next place for a disaster. Exercise was discussing with serial Customer Services clerks that I was to get the 10% discount because I had the magic friend card. "Oh, that only gets you points, you need the credit card for the 10%." I had it! Well, I didn't have it with me - it was in the HUGE stack of similar silly cards from every store on planet earth. They couldn't look up my card because I had failed to register it. My application for a new card was rejected!!! because I already had a card which I couldn't use because it wasn't registered and couldn't register because I didn't have it in my hand. I'm in limbo, LOL. We shouldn't have been in a store that we dislike enough to ignore registering its card. DW and I laughed all the way home at the silliness of such a first-world problem.

Dinner was chicken - not grilled on the patio, but juicy and delicious as always, healthy, and on-plan, CREDIT moi. DW remembered that grilling outdoors saves cleaning up grease splatters on the wall behind the stove.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Always Kudos for your consistent exercising.

Nature Girl – Super Kudos for holding Skittles in your hand and not popping a few. [Thanks for the reassuring story that your DGS recovered robustly from a drop on the head.]

nationalparker – Kudos for being thoughtful about moving forward with your eating plan.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a pup who makes several trips outside to potty rather than requiring you to clean up.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

Escape the Feeling Overburdened Trap

There's no denying it: losing weight takes a big investment of time and energy. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming. But focusing on what you'll get out of weight loss - as opposed to how hard it is - will help you through tough times.
  • Write down all the ways your extra weight is burdening you. Think about how it affects your health, your physical abilities, your thinking, your mood, your feelings about yourself, and your self-confidence.

• Remind yourself that either way you're burdened. Either you're burdened by everything that comes with being overweight or you're burdened by having to work on healthy eating.

• Recognize that staying overweight (which will be a constant burden in your life) comes with really negative consequences, while focusing on weight loss (which is only an intermittent burden) brings welcome consequences.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 191
Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning from the Riverwalk. We have a beautiful hotel room with a balcony in the beautiful trees that line the water. Great day following the mission trail to the Alamo. Glad we are here when nobody else is. These battle memorials make us especially somber when we think of the precious boy sitting next to us. Those lives lost in the Alamo were the little boys of other mommas long past.

I declare super credit for two high protein days. Although I added nuts, I stayed clear of a million other choices. Last night I shared one small treat.

Today the plan is easier. Like nationalparker I will stay clear of grains for one meal and focus on healthy fat. Three meals and two snacks. On today's schedule is the McNay Museum with Matisse etc ... lunch at the tower of Americas and a light show in St. Fernando. Grateful that the boys will have a simple breakfast of fruit and nuts in hotel room to save calories and money.

Last edited by maryann; 01-06-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

A second good day in a row. CREDIT!

Today and tomorrow both have challenges, though. One day at a time.

Today's challenge is that we're bringing pizza and chianti to the nephew's house. The chianti was a gift at our anniversary. We know that splitting a bottle of wine between the two of us is a bad idea, so I came up with this plan. As a bonus, these are the parents of the DGN, so we'll get to play with him. I'll get a salad at the pizza place, too, which will help.

The problem is that I know what I should have -- one slice of pizza, one glass of wine, and a lot of salad. And, I know what I'm going to want in the moment -- two slices of pizza and two glasses of wine. If I eat and drink that much, it will impact my sleep and make me feel bloated tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is a big day for me and I want to feel at my best. So, there's my motivation. I'll eat one slice of pizza and have one glass of wine and play with the baby. That's how I'll put myself in the best position to have a good day tomorrow.

Thanks for being here to help me work that out!

Weigh-in: NA kg
Exercise: +30, 220/1200 minutes for January
Food: 100% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: love your report from San Antonio! I've been wanting to visit the Riverwalk for some time. Good to know that January is a good time to visit.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #38  
Enjoying la bella vita

Cold day here - 3 this morning and wind chills below 0. Scale the same as yesterday; OK ... back weighing on Fridays I think. DH dropped three more - was retaining fluids after the flights. Ended up heading in to work a tad late (after DH kept pushing me to stay home since I still sound shady), but car battery was dead, so that was a sign. Stayed in and thought I'd keep trying to turn it over and head in the afternoon. Finally just figured, stay home and rest.

Like the weight management is hard work thoughts in the Beck excerpt. Remember that old saying, Being overweight is hard ... Losing weight is hard ... Maintaining your weight is hard ... you gotta pick your Hard. As much planning as this FMD plan has taken for two people working fulltime, we'd rather be tackling it with a result than griping about not getting much traction on the previous "plans" that weren't really planned.

Maryann - Loved the McNay Museum - it wasn't hurt by the fact that we went to see it on a day that was over 100 degrees and I figured out how we could get there on two different buses from where we were staying. Ran across a portrait that was the doppelganger of a nephew of mine. I couldn't get over it.

Joy - Enjoy your night out with family - the pizza and salad sounds wonderful. Your plan sounds wise - maybe even cut the one slice into two ... I've done that. Kind of like cutting them into small squares ... (can you ask them to cut it that way? A smaller portion always seems more satisfactory when in small squares to me )

Bill - I shuddered reading your customer "service" from yesterday, how frustrating. Glad you were able to keep it in perspective.

CurlyJax - I join you in clearing clutter out and aiming for clean surfaces. Kudos for working hard to stave off the remaining holiday goodies! Pretty soon, it'll be Valentine's stuff. I want to look for a good experience date for DH and I to use for Valentine's (not on the 14th per se, but around then).
Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #39  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile Intensive Dietary Management aka Friday check-in

Coaches

My long awaited clinic appointment happened today. I was just healthy enough to get through the day.
The material M went though with us was dense. With my semi-stuffed up head it took all my concentration to follow it. We were a big group, blamed on us being the "January crowd" which bugged me cause I wanted in months ago but nevermind apparently I squeezed in under the radar as they have had to stop taking on any new patients in order to catch up.

The cornerstone of the diet is fasting and meal timing combined with a high fat low carb moderate protein diet. The information about the benefits of fasting is mind blowing. But I already know, it won't be an easy transition. I'm 100% willing and there were a few points where my inner saboteur was ready to stop listening and stop being receptive. The advice really goes against societal norms in a big way, but the logic and the results can't be denied.

The man beside me got caught up by insisting corn pasta from Italy should be allowed. He would not let this go. I eventually said " This is what you need to know about corn... you can't have it." And the class laughed but I thought ah! We all have our buttons and our own resistors.

So, I remain a bit skeptical, which I guess is my nature, but I'm jumping in with both feet. When I heard some of the stories of past patients and of how healthy I am vs. them and of how well they did I can't help but have hope.

But, as usual, it's a plan that is simple, but not easy. Good news though: DH supports it, partly cause he believes he's the one who brought it to my attention. Whatever! It's all good. Now to shake the last bit of the cold.

Have a good night.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:45 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

One more day on plan and on autopilot. Dinner (plan C because I was too beat to go out or b) stand up long enough to assemble dinner) was teriyaki – I know how to measure that, and I will admit I’m not worrying about ‘counting’ the small amount of sauce on it. Leftovers will be for tomorrow’s lunch, if I don’t head over the pass to Ikea.
Weekend eating will need more mindfulness—plan, allocate food in smaller batches since I will have more time to nibble and I don’t want to browse the kitchen and find off plan snacks. Also, if I do go shopping I’ll need to plan lunch ‘out’, but Ikea’s restaurant has good options. will have a chance to get groceries for weekday lunches at Trader Joe's on the way home.
Ignored pastries in the staff room in honor of Dia de Reyes (Epiphany) I don’t even like the tradional cake, I still usually feel compelled to gobble a piece(s). Just walked past (many times) and didn’t even slow down.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Prince Akihito sworn in as Emperor (1989, Japan)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library where the librarian complimented me one my new New England Patriots knit cap. I'm not used to receiving compliments - especially on an item of clothing. Turns out I'd bumped into a diehard Patriots fan. I fondled a few books but decided that they didn't deserve to jump to the top of the stack I'm already reading. Leaving empty handed felt weird.

Eating was OK - the right number of snacks. Dinner included small slices of a baguette that had caught DW's eye while shopping. I have no idea how the French can make a bread so crusty and delicious using the same ingredients as all the other breads of the world. Fortunately, the one baguette will spread over several meals and then be gone. It'd be a disaster to have a Patisserie within the reach of my nose, LOL.

onebyone – Kudos for making it to your clinic appointment - a long journey. Neat perspective, "We all have our buttons and our own resistors."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – A visit to the DGN is always a good day. Kudos for considering your needs for tomorrow.

Nature Girl – Kudos for ignoring the Dia de Reyes cake. I'd never heard of it. It's easy to get sucked into a 'tradition' even if not that exciting. I face that each Easter with hot-cross buns. They're not that interesting; they just trigger the had-those-as-kids syndrome.

maryann - I love the River Walk! The Alamo was a challenge; I felt like it was required to behave as if in a sacred church - but wasn't my religion. The McNay looks fun.

nationalparker – Ouch for a dead car battery in the cold. Hope you get to feeling better. Thanks for the reminder, "you gotta pick your Hard."

curlyjax - Yep, there's a lot of power behind “hunger is not an emergency.” Kudos for continuing daily exercise.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#5: The I Don't Care Trap
Momentary feelings of apathy sap your motivation.
I'd been working with Kayla, a research assistant at a local university, for a couple of months when she told me she'd been having trouble that week getting herself to practice her foundation strategies. She just couldn't seem to summon the energy. "I don't know," she said. "I felt so motivated until a few days ago. I don't know what happened."

Kayla had gotten off track a few days before. She overslept and didn't read her advantages list or reminder cards in the morning, and she skipped breakfast. She was starved by lunchtime and ate a whole burrito and chips much too quickly. A few hours after lunch, she got more chips from the vending machine down the hall - even though there was an apple at her desk she had planned to eat. "Then I guess I just gave up," she shrugged. "I ate way too much for the rest of the day." The following day unfolded much the same way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 192

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-08-2017 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Typo: I'd to It'd
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Tha McNay museum makes it into my top Museums. I have certainly seen larger museums and larger exhibits but the setting, the company and the fact that no one was there made it fab. The house reminded me of the original Getty museum in Malibu where I grew up. I had never seen so many masters in one small room. It was a sample platter😀 It also helped that it was freezing outside.

DS read every placque. Of course he did the same at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, DH said. I didn't go to that. Chose a plate of hummus and plantains for lunch at Tower of Americas. DH could have stayed all day rotating around. The workings of a city is his art.
Credit for leftovers in the room for dinner. Not a perfect day but enough discipline to avoid making the homecoming a disaster on the scale. Spurs tonite and then home to a Christmas tree that needs taking down.

I always have mixed feelings at the end of a trip. Good thing I know extra food won't fix those feelings.

Last edited by maryann; 01-07-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #43  
Green Tomatoes

Last night's one-serving rule, worked! Two servings of salad, one serving of the rest. And I feel fine this morning.

Today's challenge is that I have five minutes between 11 and 3 to eat lunch. I'll be at a place that serves a salad I like, but it takes them 10 minutes to make it and me 15 minutes to eat it. So, that only works if I'm willing to eat salad while running a meeting. It wouldn't be the first time but it's always awkward. I've spent hours preparing for this meeting and I want it to go like the vision in my head -- that doesn't include the awkwardness of eating salad at the same time.

I've gone back and forth on various solutions, but only one completely prevents the risk that I'll eat something completely inappropriate just because it's quick. I'm going to eat lunch at home before I leave, even though it's a really strange time for me to eat lunch. Then, I'll have a snack when I get back home after. So, easy rule: No food outside the house.

Weigh-in: NA kg
Exercise: +30, 250/1200 minutes for January
Food: 100% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: I struggle, too, after trips. I used to think it was jet lag, but I struggled just as much after the Cuba trip when the time difference was only an hour. Whatever the problem, food won't fix it -- that's a helpful thought. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #44  
Enjoying la bella vita

A day spent on oddball things but at least things that I wanted or needed to do, including not forgetting to spend our $40 Kohl's cash ... DH got a few items and just added another $2 to it! Perfectly well executed shopping trip. First day I've spent any real time in the kitchen. Made an apple pear maple baked oatmeal for part of our brunch and much leftover - will freeze some for next week as well. Lunch was scalloped apples and chicken/apple sausage medallions (a favorite of mine - comes together so quickly and so yummy), dinner was spicy turkey chili with beans and more beans. Leftovers remain for the next food plan phase as well - bonus! We were about 90% on plan today and the strays were planned strays (some organic corn tortilla chips that we enjoy a few with chili and chicken tortilla soup, but don't just mindlessly munch, as well as a bit of maple syrup in the oatmeal recipe).

Bill - Laughing at your escape empty-handed from the library, despite fondling some spines. I, too, feel guilty leaving without at least one book, thinking the librarians are thinking, "What? we don't have one thing you want?"

Maryann - We had that same hummus/plantains dish at Tower of the Americas! I took a photo of it because I thought the presentation of it was phenomenal and wanted to remember a new way to do it here.

Joy - Good plan for an early lunch and avoiding presenting/meeting admin while eating. Hope it worked out successfully.

OneByOne - Sounds like you'll have the basics of a plan that is proven. Good luck with this new way to proceed. Was today Day One for you? Hope it went well, if so. What do you foresee as your biggest hurdle and how will you not let that stop you? My biggest hurdle with our current plan is the time commitment to plan, market, prepare and clean up all the food containers. Takes hours extra each week, but it's paid off.

NatureGirl - Hope you faced off the Ikea food and emerged successful! I struggle with it.

Karen - Hope the pup is feeling better now. How was the hiking with friends - cooling off at all yet there? Thought of you when our tub pipes froze up today - that wouldn't happen for you, just different bathroom pipe issues! All's well, though.

This cold is kicking my heiney. Still don't feel even 50% better. I don't want to go to a dr. for a flipping COLD and waste his/her time, but it's moved deep into my chest. I'm glad I took the sick days or I'd have wondered if I didn't, was I stretching it out by not resting.

Grateful today for the time for self-care.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #45  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up We continue

Coaches

Cold here today. I went to my studio this morning to prepare paper for an edition of 31 prints that need to be printed, packaged and mailed out to the coordinator of the print exchange by the end of next week at the latest. It took a few hours in my 8C/46F (but 15C/59Fby the I left) to cut down the paper.from the large roll and then to further cut it down into 40 sheets. I need 31 identical (that's what an edition is) prints so this way I get 40 tries at it. I have the paper sandwiched between cardboard and stuff to flatten it somewhat. It really curls straight off the roll. I'll trim the excess off of each piece tomorrow for the requires size of 10"x7.5" or "chuban size" This is a term that is new to me, as is this group of printmakers. I am excited to be participating in one of these large exchanges.

I made a to do list. Already it's 7 items long. Wow. Felt good to begin the work of 2017. Very good actually.

My cold is still with me but getting better. After the cold studio though my lungs were complaining. I need to take it easy.

Weighed (credit) to see 274.8. lowest in a few weeks. Yay for that. We were told not to fast while sick so I am not doing that but I have begun to moderate my food. I'm back at the studio tomorrow and I will plan out a.food schedule for week one. I need to write this out for myself.
I also need to take measurements. So I will do that tomorrow as well.

nationalparker:. My cold gave me weird muscle pains too from the coughing I believe. But for me it was in my abdomen. I'm glad it doesn't hurt as much today cause I was starting to.think.something else was going on. I also felt it in the back as well. Take it easy.

Off to bed for me. Goodnight.
Closed Thread