Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #106  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I think the evening will get away from me, so an early post. I brought dessert for the office pitch-in, but brought my own lunch to avoid the pizza, from a national chain and typically very greasy. I haven't had theirs in about 18 years or more, but it always does look/smell the same when others order it or bring in leftovers. I'm sure all would be fine if I enjoyed a slice, but I doubt my strength to 1) stick with one slice ... 2) bypass all the other homemade goodies when everyone else is enjoying them. So brought my turkey sausage/veg soup that I really like and ran a long errand at lunch. If it was a phase 3 day, I would have probably indulged a bit, but with the food cycling on this plan, it's a good bit of carbs and natural sugars today.

Was -3 (degrees, not on the scale) this morning and I'm determined to save more money and put that $$ away for retirement in warmer climes. I can't handle this - I don't care what the wind chill was because I would have climbed back in bed except trying to save vacation days to spend more time with my brother.

Karen - DH wasn't always at his higher weight, and had pants in varying sizes, so he was going through the different ones, seeing what fit from a few years ago, etc. He's back into a lot of stuff (coats, etc.) but no luck with his pants!

Good to see you pop in here, Joy. .. One day not on plan doesn't a bad week make. Credits for checking in!

Dorodango - Thanks for the info on your name here - interesting! I couldn't figure it out and that's a great image.

Bill - My Raspberry Pi project would be something MUCH different, contain fresh fruit and be a taste for the tummy, not brain. We're such a diverse group - you folks stretch my knowledge!

Maryann - I'm celebrating with you the end of your semester. You have proceeded on all fronts with dignity, class and poise - often rare when folks are faced with the stresses you've seen. You're a role model! Safe travels!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:50 AM   #107  
I defy you, stars

Hi coaches,

Making this quick because it's late: I had a successful fast day at exactly 500 calories despite the leftover buckeyes calling to me from the fridge, which turned out to be the craving practice I needed. What seemed to help was distraction - work, chores, etc. - and knowing (not just hoping but knowing) that arguing with myself was a waste of effort that wouldn't change my decision.

I'm a little too PO'd to sleep right now because [insert controversial news item here] happened, and because my landlord gave me no more than an evening's notice that the bank appraiser was coming to see my apartment. So much for my plans to actually become neat and organized at a reasonable rate. Instead I'm burning time and energy I don't have to make the place look presentable, and afterward I won't want to see a broom again for a month. The good news: instead of eating about it I went to the gym and punched things about it.

Good night everyone. Personals tomorrow night.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:32 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - The Louisiana Purchase completed (1803, Western U.S.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent the day trying to figure out why the dishwasher won't complete its wash cycle. It'll complete its rinse cycle. This is a busy week leading up to the family gathering on Saturday, Christmas Eve. The price of a new dishwasher looks competitive with the price of having a repair person come out and maybe fix it and maybe give us a repair price that's way more than it's worth. It's a Maytag, worked perfectly the day before, but it is old. I can't get past my notion that appliances should last for decades and my second notion that new appliances aren't made well. I may spend the week hand washing dishes since I don't see a vacant day to have service folks about.

Dinner was DW's wonderful Pumpkin Soup made from a can that was clearly labeled 'Squash' instead of 'Pumpkin.' Since a pumpkin is a squash the distinction eluded her at the store. It did taste different. Who knows what comes to be in a can?

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Nice title: "last-ditch emergency babysitter." Wondering how you'll transfer your green thumb to the DGN. I'll add Sandra Boynton's Doggies to my list. The local book store has a zillion books that I'd like for my DGD. So many books; so little time.

maryann - Happy Birthday greetings waved toward Tahoe. Yep, it's easy to remember those features of our 23 year old bodies.

nationalparker – Ahh Yes, "retirement in warmer climes" - the only sane thought when facing wind chill factors. Kudos for making it through the office party.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for Otis as your physical trainer, LOL. Kudos for continuing on your FMD.

dorodango - Ouch for this concept of apartment inspection - (onebyone mentions that from time to time). I share your distaste for pseudo organization that has to be redone. Kudos for doing your fast day despite buckeyes in the fridge.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

Escape the Deprivation Trap

This time, focus on what's reasonable for you to do long term.
. . .
  • If you are being too restrictive, take steps to incorporate some favorite foods into your daily eating. While you may experience slower weight loss, you will enjoy mealtimes more and avoid feeling overly deprived. You'll be eating in a way that you can maintain long term.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 186
Old 12-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #109  
Green Tomatoes

I made two new Advantages cards, although they read more like New Year goals. I think they will help me get with the program, though. In 2017, I want to get myself trip-ready (mostly with the ability to walk for two hours and stand for four hours in a day). In 2017, I want to be a strong and fit warrior for social justice (keeping in mind that I "fight" alongside 20-somethings -- I'm not sure what, exactly, I need here, but walking 5 miles is probably a good goal and the strength to climb hills without generating the kind of knee pain that we 50-somethings are susceptible to). Both goals would benefit from being 20-25 pounds lighter than I am right now.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #110  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

All is well with me. Food was on plan yesterday and I made a tasty dinner last night that we both enjoyed and was on plan. Today I'm going to a new family practice doctor this morning. I hope I like her a lot better than the ob/gyn I saw last month who spent 5 minutes with me. If so I hope to only see this gal. I have never had a real physical and I doubt I will, but I do hope to get some labs ordered and a bone density. It's really just an initial visit and I don't have any complaints that are worth talking about.

This afternoon Otis will see the vet for his initial visit and 2nd shot. I have a few questions for the vet too. Otis got up early this morning and I am thankful that we both took a little nap from 4 to 5, after he was up at 3.

Bill We had to get a new dishwasher 6 months ago or so. It was difficult to find one because the space we have is a little shorter than normal. We were both amazed at how quiet the new one is, at first I didn't think it was running. They sure do run for a while though, so good thing you can't hear it.

Dodorango Those buckeye's would have been screaming my name if I were there. Good job foregoing them.

Nationalparker Brrrrrr! I hope it's warming up a bit. I have to say I love that it is warmer here and what I love even more is the blue skies and that it doesn't rain much, just don't get me started about how much I hate summer.

Maryann A very happy birthday to you! I hope this is a wonderful year for you. It is my younger brother's birthday too. The one that I see frequently and who was just here a week or so ago. How long will you be in Tahoe?

I really am starting to think about the New Year. After being on this new plan for over a week, I am hopeful that I can get my weight down to where I would really like it to be. It would be so wonderful to put weight loss and fitness a little lower on the list of things I need to focus on. Maybe they could be in a maintenance position as I work on other areas. Anyway, starting to think about it.

I hope you all have a good day and it's not too busy for you to enjoy.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Thank you for the good wishes. I woke this morning grateful for my life. There were several text wishes and an old fashioned phone call from my dad. DH and I had wonderful conversations yesterday and came up with a possible solution to my dilemma of impending teacher burnout. He is desperate for help at the farm. His two nephews have refused offers of jobs. We hashed out a plan where I could help with the government regulations and contract work. I felt a load off my shoulders. Although I may stay teaching, I don't have to keep teaching. There is a big difference. Food was a little slippery but ended with a good choice. No birthday dinner - just the chili I had made for day 1 and 2 of plan. DS and i took a grand hike and will do it again today.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:29 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Winter Solstice (4.5 Billion B.C.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dishwasher is put back together for the holidays. I found a combination of cycles that work that imitate a wash cycle - good enough to get through the large Christmas Eve family gathering. The real problem still eludes me; buying a new one remains a reasonable choice. My last ordered gift arrived at the front door at 7:30 last night. The delivery services are working full bore - they get my Kudos for sure.

A trip to the bank failed to get the gold-toned dollar coins that go in our Christmas stockings. Egads! The bank didn't have a ready supply. So I have to hustle about to the various banks nearby since it's a tradition and kids (regardless of age) don't like violation of tradition.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for getting your head together to make "two new Advantages cards." Love the notion that one needs to be fit to fight for justice.

maryann - Intriguing notion that your next career may be a farmer. Love the thought, "Although I may stay teaching, I don't have to keep teaching."

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for taking care of your need for a doctor who relates to you. [I just read, again, that the longer dishwasher cycles are designed to save energy. I do have a problem visualizing the dishes 'soaking' six inches above the water. I also can't be near our new high efficiency washing machine. It sprinkles water over the clothes; it starts; it gurgles; it stops; it sits; repeatedly; then quits after 90 minutes and the clothes are clean. I don't get it.]

Readers -
Quote:

. . .
  • Keep in mind that there is a vast difference between eating every bite of food you want and eating nothing you want. Yes, it's true that you may need to limit the quantity or frequency of some foods. But you will either be deprived of some food some of the time (but not all food all of the time) or you'll be deprived of the life-enhancing, lifelong advantages on your advantages list. Which is the bigger deprivation?
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 186
Old 12-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #113  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello coaches! The week seems to be flying by, exact opposite of this week when I was about six and counting the days until Santa's arrival. Stayed OP yesterday but it seemed a bit fluid after missing my snacks due to being busy and forgetting. Had add'l fruit last night, though it's mainly for all other meals/snacks earlier in the day, but since missed some, figured I'd survive.

Packed all of my clothes for the trip last night so tomorrow night before the trip won't be as rushed. That will also guarantee that I'm a walking wrinkle mess. Tonight will be getting the pooch out to his folks in the country, about a three-hour round trip, visiting time not included. I've fit all but a pair of ankle boots and a pair of jeans into my backpack-style carry-on. Surprised by that. Wearing one pair of comfy shoes and debating on another pair of flats for dinners. Will see how much extra space DH has I might borrow more of his than just that. If he decides on another bag, I might upscale to the larger one. I want to split our stuff up so he has an outfit in mine and vice versa. I kind of feel that I've crammed it all into a carryon that is just a little bit too small if we're dressing up for dinners. I don't have a point to prove by getting it all in there, but also know it'll be easier to heft up all the flights of stairs at these B&Bs I've reserved, most are 3rd and 4th floors.

Bill - Our dishwasher is, I believe, the original to the house (from mid-80s), and still working but DH wants to upgrade. I'm firmly against it because newer items seem to last only a few years (our new washer and stove have not been pleasing). My neighbor went to buy all new before Christmas a few years ago and didn't find out until after the transaction that while they'd be delivered free, it wouldn't be for six weeks. She was NOT a happy camper as she expected them all in before her family arrived.

Karen - How did everything go for Otis at the vet? Does your DH get some good time off around the holidays or with it on the weekend, mainly just get long weekends? Credits for staying on the plan! Good luck with phase 2, second round ... I used to get frustrated by the limited food on these two days until I stepped back and was like, "it's TWO days out of seven. Deal with it" and focused more energy on other things, haha!

Maryann - Hope your birthday was a good one and that this year brings continued insight into what works/what doesn't as you move through life and seek solutions. Your hiking sounds great.

Happy Winter Solstice, all. Typically we have just our candles and fire lit after dark tonight but with many things to do, I think that will be set aside, unfortunately. Bringing a strand of christmas lights and a number of battery operated tealights to add festivity to our rooms on the road. DH groans but then likes it when it's all lit up. A small indulgence for $5.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for many good food choices yesterday. I had frozen a friend's gift of unique baked goods to eat on my bday. Loved the luxury of eating them while watching the last episode of Sherlock all by myself in bed. All caught up now ready for new episodes. The truth is i love alone time. It is what refuels me. Thankfully the boys understand and are very self-sufficient.

Food is planned for the next few days. Advantage card: How wonderful to have two very structured days ahead of me going into the free for all of food facing me over the next week. I count 5 official "Christmas" meals between various families.

BBE: DS is all about tradition as well. Our evolution-forged brain seeks comfort from patterns. True enough.He is off with DH to play farmer for a few days while I scurry around a bit. His big gift is music recording equipment and I want to have programs downloaded so he can play with them on the day. The good thing about having a 14 year old is it forces one to keep up with the latest tech.

nationalparker: I love to plan packing. Weird hobby but there it is. I have gotten down to a small wheeled carry on with a purse that attaches to it. Both will fit under the seat. It has been so great because I don't have to lift them into overhead compartments. Also, I fly Southwest which means there is always the chance of the overhead compartments being filled. I never have to worry about seat assignments on hopper trips.

Thinking about Lexxis: Scale was up today 3 pounds. Due no doubt to some medication but also the elevation change you and i have discussed. Good thing the scale is only a number. Yesterday was filled with 100 good decisions. I am holding onto that. BBE's excerpt about t a program for life means that I ride out the highs as well as the lows.

Last edited by maryann; 12-21-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #115  
Green Tomatoes

Happy Solstice! I seem to be more energized to work with my exercise routine than my food intake, at the moment. I'm going to allow myself a little grace around that. Expecting perfection might lead to doing nothing. Going with the flow might push me into a bit of strength-training every day. I know from experience that a boost in exercise will often lead to better eating so that I don't feel like I'm wasting my effort! But we'll keep that a secret from the part of me that is so resistant to structured eating right now.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #116  

Good morning coaches,

Food plan still going well. It is the two least favorite days, but no big deal, hoping to see a loss from them. At least I don't have any functions where I would drool at food I wasn't having. The exercise is nearly non existent, but I did sign up for a couple of long hikes on Saturdays in January and a walk with a friend is scheduled for next week.

I really liked the new doctor I went to yesterday and she'll take care of everything so I don't have to see the ob/gyn anymore. This morning I went back and got blood drawn and had a tetanus shot which I was due for.

Otis had a good appointment at the vet too. It was a new vet to us and I liked him very much. The office isn't as fancy as the one we've been going to, but all I can think is "less overhead". They all loved Otis and really he is so cute it is hard not to. He weighed almost 7 pounds. He had an injection and I don't think he even knew he had it. Not a sound.

Maryann It would be so fun to have a 14 year old to help keep you up to date on all the new technology. Seems they have a knack for figuring it all out too.

Nationalparker Good job on the packing. I usually do a pretty good job too, because I don't want to haul around too much. The first time we went to Italy it was with another couple. She packed so much that one of our days in Venice she spent at the post office mailing her things home because she knew she couldn't haul it all and we all had told her we weren't hauling her things.

Bill Good job getting the dishwasher to work. You are the handiest of men I know. Speaking of delivery services, we had a Fedex truck hijacked here yesterday at gunpoint. I mean I can see an armored car, but a Fedex truck.

GardenerJoy I think I was typing my post when you posted yesterday. Where and when is your next big trip?

We're having a grey day and looks like we may have a few in a row and even some rain. It's not cold though, so I'll be thankful for that.

Have a great day everybody!
Old 12-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #117  
I defy you, stars

Happy solstice everyone!

The apartment cleanup didn't go nearly as badly as I expected - probably because I'd gotten a head start on the kitchen for diet-related purposes, so credit to me for that. Cleaning has always felt like a punishment so I made sure to reward myself during the process. There's a favorite podcast whose new episodes I keep in reserve for hated tasks like this - well, I listened to a fair amount of it. I even took a break to blow catnip bubbles for Echo, who obliged me by leaving her sunny spot to come pounce on them. And after doing the bare minimum I kept on finding more things to wash off or put away just for the satisfaction of having done it.

The next day of the Beck program is scary. Planning every meal the day before? My first, second and third reactions are no, no and **** no. To make this work I think I'd have to lead an impossibly regimented life - not just at mealtimes but every waking hour. I can see myself turning down invitations and leaving books unopened at 3 in case they'd interfere with buying the ingredients at 5 so that my one and only dinner option will be ready by 7.

But there are so many good habits I need that'll never get established without this kind of structure. I just need a way to approach it that isn't so rigid it sets me up for failure. Maybe what I can do is plan every meal right after the meal before. At that point I won't be making hunger-driven decisions and will have some idea of how the day is going. For work days I can sometimes even plan the full day because breakfast / lunch can be packed in advance. But for weekends, it just doesn't seem realistic to plan more than one meal ahead. How do you all do it? Do you all do it?

nationalparker turkey sausage / veggie soup sounds delicious. That was really nice of you to make dessert for others when you weren't planning to have any - and great job finding a way to stick to that plan.

BillBlueEyes glad you found a way to trick the dishwasher into cooperating, because just the thought of you having to do all that handwashing is making me itch

gardenerjoy yay, you're back! Amen to "I'm going to allow myself a little grace around that." I like your new advantages, too. Our society is so fixated on how thin is fashionable - it's refreshing to see people like you planning to do something with it.

maryann happy birthday! So glad you're finally getting alone time - one of life's big underrated pleasures - and that you have a backup plan to address the teaching burnout. Just having it there in the back of your mind has got to make a difference whether or not you decide to take it.

karenrn so jealous you can hike in January. I know what you mean about wanting to be free to focus on other goals - looking forward to seeing what you come up with (if you choose to share, of course).
Old 12-22-2016, 04:54 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Brandenburg Gate reopens (1989, Berlin)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Was the day of exercise by chasing the 15 month old DGD. We waved at three airplanes going overhead - her thing. DW announced that all her Christmas wrapping was done and that mine needs to be done by tonight since my time is fully scheduled Friday and Saturday.

Eating was OKish - except for extra snacks that came with the tension of trying to prevent the DGD from killing herself at every opportunity. Fortunately, the distance her little head travels before it hits the ground is short - a good design feature of humans at that age.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for "Expecting perfection might lead to doing nothing."

maryann - Yay for having a saved treat for your birthday. 5 Christmas meals are going to be a challenge.

nationalparker – Congrats for the early packing, since wrinkled is the lesser fate than panicked. Always Kudos for an OP day.

Karen (karenrn) - I just love it that you and Otis both have new doctors - something you can share.

dorodango - Kudos for finishing your cleaning in a way that doesn't have to be redone. At the end of Beck's book, she says that one can make general plans that cover the meals that one will be having. I have such a general plan - made easier since most dinners are covered by "Sane portions of what DW serves."

Readers -
Quote:

. . .
  • Remember, there's no such thing as a good food and bad food, but there are foods you should eat more of and foods you should eat less of.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 187
Old 12-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches!
I tried to pull on some pants yesterday and they wouldn’t go. Okay, okay, I know I’ve been in denial, another 10 pounds have slid on somehow, so this was a good reality check. fortunately I tend to wear loose pants so some still fit. I am going to try not to indulge too much over the holidays and then buckle down.
I had a big fight with DD last night, not even sure about what. Sometimes I miss the days when I would be exhausted by physical demands of toddlers, instead of the verbal/emotional demands of teenagers. The stress of the holidays doesn’t help either.

Dodorango- I have had a rough plan for the week, for many years since i’m the primary planner/shopper for my family. And then I got shopping on the weekend for the bulk of it, with another stop midweek if necessary. I eat roughly the same things for lunch and breakfast as do the other folks in the family, and I look at what is going on for the week and plan dinners around that i.e. if there is an early meeting at 7, it needs to be something quick. I hear you about the weekends, it gets tougher as things come up, and i tend to rely on some point of pasta on friday night, then wing it for the rest. My problem is planning around the kids pickiness and i tend to wait until 30 minutes before i go shopping, which means the same boring things each week. I hate planning dinner more than making it!! My DH is able to help with it now which does help.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #120  

Good morning coaches,

I'm staying on plan and feeling good. Yesterday I went to the hairdresser for the first time in two months, a new one who is very near by. I really liked her and I like my hair, but she is pretty expensive and add in a few products and wow. I think she's worth it though and she has a personality, which my last gal didn't. I just need to get used to the cost. It was a nice treat and who doesn't need a treat now and then.

Today is big time housework. So far I have vacuumed all the carpeted areas. I have to give Otis a break though, because he is afraid of the vacuum. He went into his crate in the bedroom which lets me know he thinks of it as a safe place. Now he's asleep under the table where I have the laptop. I think I'll clean the bathrooms next, since that doesn't make any noise.

Curlyjax Good to see you as always.

Bill Your chasing DGD reminds me of my chasing Otis, only he is faster and I don't have to be quite as careful as with a little human. My husband did all the football drills in high school and can move sideways quickly in the yard to grab him. I swear one of these days I'll just trip over my own feet.

Dodorango I hate thinking about cleaning, but once I get started I don't mind so much and even end up feeling more connected to my home. As far as meal planning, I certainly am not great in that regard. Before I was on the current regimen I typically had two breakfasts I chose from, and lunch was almost always a salad with chicken, dinner varied from a rather limited menu. I think the biggest thing for me is to have the right things in the house and don't have the foods I don't want to eat or will go off the rails if I start.

GardenerJoy I think I'll take your lead and give myself a little grace around that I'm not getting my regular exercise right now. I'm getting some, but no where near what I am used to. I'm kind of doing the opposite of what you are but what the heck.

Well time to get back to work. Have a good day!
Closed Thread