Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone!
Its' been a long time since I've checked in. Things are MUCH better, DH is doing great with the chemo and is able to eat anything and has gained much of the weight he lost (I know, the opposite of what most folks want!) Treatment continues and who knows what the future brings, but each day he is here and feeling good, I am grateful. It certainly does make you have perspective.
We have decided we are going to do some traveling this year- Florida in April, and maybe even Europe in the summer with the kids. You just don't know what is going to happen and I want him to enjoy life to the fullest. IM feeling more positive too- partly to finally getting myself on some "happy pills" as I call them!

I find myself worrying less about certain things, and saying oh who cares. That has been helpful in some ways to decrease stress, but I have gained about 10 pounds since this started and am the highest I have been since my baby was born, 14 years ago! So it is time to get back to taking care of myself, now that I can breathe again.

So I am going to try Beck again and join us with you all again! I may not get to posting each day but it certainly helped the first time I did it, and I missed you all and am so glad to see the "regulars" still here!
Nationalparker- I am so impressed with your resolve and progress, good for you! I may check out that diet.
Wave to everyone else and happy Thursday!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #92  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - U.S. Navy frigate 'Old Ironsides' launched (Boston Harbor, 1797)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent the second day in a row chasing DGD - ample exercise, CREDIT moi. Makes me appreciate all the mothers of the world. I did get a two hour reprieve when DW handled it all while I walked to class.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi. We walked to a lecture before dinner so that made the evening meal late. I left half of the chicken that I'd been served so it's in the fridge for lunch today. I'm proud of that because I rarely leave meat that I've already been served. There was no time for an evening snack.

maryann - Love the notion, "Everybody starts fresh the next day or it is a long year" - maybe you could get the world to adopt that everywhere.

nationalparker – Super Kudos for standing in front of hundreds of people with you full self-confidence on board.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for sleeping in your own bed. And Yay also for "bit of recomposition."

curlyjax - Such good news that your DH has progressed to gaining his weight back. Neat to be planning travel to Europe.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#5: The Perfectionista Trap
You spend too much time and energy
....making everything "just so."
With further discussion, it became apparent that Kathleen would be so busy the day before Thanksgiving that she'd have difficulty sticking to her normal eating schedule. I asked her what impact this could have on her eating.

"Well, it won't be good, I admit," Kathleen told me. "I guess I'm a perfectionist. I try to make everything perfect. So I tend to let other things slip, like exercise and healthy eating."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 163
Old 10-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #93  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'd debated (long...) about taking the morning off and having a relaxing start to the day alone. But DH and I were talking while he was getting ready - his alarm goes at 6 a.m. and I tend to get rolling after he heads out. But ended up deciding to head to work since I have plenty to do and maybe take a morning off midweek. Just thinking about possibly having a morning off coming up is fun.

Excited to see the scale drop to 158.8 this morning and gave it a couple of tries. I'm down 16 pounds with this plan, now.

Karen - Glad to see you're back and getting in the groove so quickly. I remember a couple of months ago you said maybe shoot to lose 10% of my body weight before Italy and I thought that was too high to aim, in all seriousness. I am one pound from that now. Thanks for thinking I could do it because I sure didn't.

Bill - Sounds like time so well-spent with DGD. When my brother watches two of his - GDG and DGS - 3 and 1 - he hits the sack a bit earlier at night. It's funny to hear since he's at the gym daily, etc. They're just "ON" all the time.

CurlyJax - I'm so, so glad to hear the good news. You've been in my thoughts so often. It sure does put life's small aggravations in perspective. Sounds like wonderful travel plans!

Maryann - I'm going to echo Bill with credit for no grudges or 'demerits' from the previous day ... and I am going to keep that in mind with my fitness and health - no beating myself up for not doing something.

Waving hello to Lexxiss, NatureGirl, GardenerJoy and OneByOne - have a great Friday and start to your weekend! It's been a long week, it seems. Love2Garden and Millie56 - hope you're doing well!

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-21-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #94  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow week's end but not a weekend.

Coaches

Changed my avatar this morning to express visually my feelings re" weightloss etc. It's like I'm chasing a unicorn. Is it real? Will I catch it? it sure would be worth it if I did! I want it! So pretty...

A mixed bag of feelings.

However. Weight was down this morning: 269.9. I am a mere 3.6lbs up from the 1st of the month when I joined the October weightloss challenge aiming for 8lbs down. Now I am aiming to get back to my starting weight. But, even more important, I am aiming for an on plan day which I have already undermined. But I make the rules so I can begin again. I am re-starting right now. After I send this to you guys I am also re-starting the book which contains my foodplan of choice. I will check in with my progress re: reading and plan adherence.

I emailed the art teacher, (the one who had informed me that should I decide to be an art teacher I will no longer, actually, be an artist as I will give up the creation of any of my own art--yes she said that), and agreed to be her sub for a month at the end of January while she helps her daughter who will give birth that month. Now I got an email saying she may not do the class at all and I will teach the whole thing. 2 classes. One in the morning, one in the evening. Intermediate Mixed Media Art Class, her "groupies" she said. I am not a mixed media artist. I work in many mediums but don't mix them together. In fact, I am kind of a purist. But, I can do it. She said we'll talk and yeah, I'll be glad to talk about this. $-wise that's pretty good coin so I'm looking forward to working AND getting paid. And it's good work experience for me as well. Baby steps toward something new.

This weekend is another one of those baby steps. I am reaching my printmaking workshop on Sunday. Printmaking for Painters and other Visual Artists goes from 9:30 to 3:30 on Sunday. 3 mini projects for my 9 or 10 students. 1. know your tools-make a "sampler" of marks using each of your cutting tools and print it. A "quick and dirty print" 2. Print project #1-black and white linocut. lunch break. 3. Print project #2 -colour Print a 3 colour reduction print. My students will have a kit with everything they need to continue creating prints after the workshop is over. My goal is to have a couple of people keep working in this medium so I'm not so alone! haha.

Sure hope it goes ok. The biggest challenge is time management. Mine and theirs!

Anyway, that's it for now.

karenrn Happy to see you back home safe and sound. Thanks for blogging.

curlyjax So very happy to hear how much better things are. Excellent that you are making exciting future plans! Very happy for you and your family. Thank you for catching us up.

maryann I love your attitude. You are a shining light for me. Thank you.

nationalparker Wow. Just wow. I want my first day, standing in front of my new art class to feel like you felt standing up in front of your crowd. You have worked hard and stayed the course. I need to follow your example as well. Thank you.

BillBlueEyes You make everything sound fun. Thanks for that.

gardenerjoy You wrote a day ago
Quote:
Sigh. I need a reminder why I'm doing this. Reading my Advantages cards SLOWLY this morning. "I want to feel skinny in Paris" with a drawing of the Eiffel Tower.
It seems so obvious to me reading this that as a highly visual person *I* should sketch out my own reminders/wishes like a visual shorthand or pictogram/glyph of where I'd like to be weight-wise and feelings-wise concerning weightloss/situations/public events/physical comfort/image in general especially since I am moving into a much more public phase now. I am going to regularly be up in front of groups of people. I need to deal with this. I am not feeling confident that I can but it's going to happen anyway so I will move forward. Thank you for writing what has helped me today.

Off I go. Bye!
Old 10-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #95  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Stayed on my food plan yesterday and down two pounds. I knew I was retaining some water from the high sodium day before. I had planned to get up and hike this morning, but it was 81 degrees and very windy. I don't like to hike when it's really windy. My excuse is that I'm afraid it will blow too much dust and I don't want to get Valley Fever which is from some spores in the soil. I don't know if it would happen this way. In any case, I headed to the gym and did 62 minutes on the elliptical for an even 5 miles. I only have about 75 miles to go to hit 2000 miles for the year. I'm following my food plan today too and will hope to hike tomorrow morning.

We chose our new pup yesterday based on his coloring and will fly to Denver on 12/2 to pick him up and bring him home. The flights were very inexpensive and it will take far less time than driving there. We are both very excited to get him. If I knew how to put a photo on, I would do it.

Curlyjax So good to hear from you and it's wonderful to hear that your husband is doing so much better. I'm so glad he has felt well enough to regain most of his weight. Good for you for making fun plans for travel.

Nationalparker Woo Hoo, into the 150's. You are doing so well!

Maryann Speaking of sweets, I had so many in Spain that I'm glad to see vegetables now that I'm home. You do a terrific job of limiting your sweets and I hope to do the same now that I'm home.

Bill Sounds like you're getting some good exercise with DGD. You probably can't take your eyes off her long enough to even think about getting something to eat.

Onebyone Sounds like you've got a lot going on with your art. Is it stressful? It would be for me, but then I would be totally out of my comfort zone with anything like that. The only public speaking I've really done is about palliative care and end of life planning. I guess that wouldn't be many people's cup of tea either.

My goal is to stay on the food plan and get the exercise cranked up over the next few days. For now I'd better get in the shower; I haven't done that since I finished at the gym this morning.

More later.

Karen
Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #96  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Jean-Paul Sartre declines Nobel Prize (Paris, 1964)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Was the day to break down the vegetable garden in the community plot - more bending and lifting than aerobics, CREDIT moi. It was the first year without an old junker car to use to haul the metal stakes, border fencing, and tomato cages. It was tricky getting all the dirty stuff in the newish Toyota Camry. DW chose to walk home with the tomato cages over her head rather than risk tearing the seats.

That was perfectly timed because evening brought drenching rain. The evening performance was The Bach Mass in B Minor which soared to the heavens. I had a light dinner since we were invited to a reception after the performance. We were both so high from the music that unnecessary food found its way onto our plates. Walked to the subway in drenching rain without complaint. I'm still feeling upbeat from sacred texts, soaring chorus, and solo instruments.

onebyone – Yay for a paying art gig. I'm not a believer that poverty is a requirement for artistic creativity. Picasso wasn't broke. Hope your printmaking workshop goes well tomorrow.

nationalparker – Congrats on those sixteen pounds gone forever. Yep, the idea of an upcoming day off appeals.

Karen (karenrn) - So exciting to think of a new pup coming into your life. Kudos for approaching 2000 miles for the year.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

"Well, it wouldn't be good, I admit," Kathleen told me. "I guess I'm a perfectionist. I try to make everything perfect. So I tend to let other things slip, like exercise and healthy eating."

I suggested to Kathleen that she might need a new mind-set. "Right now it seems you have the idea that you have to do everything perfectly, even if it comes with negative consequences, like gaining weight. Is that right?"

"I never thought about it like that." She reflected on what I had said. "Yes, I guess you're right," she agreed.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 163
Old 10-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

My Gratitude List

That work makes Friday afternoon a joy!!!!
That a crazy mom and daughter (the latter in my first period class) strengthened my forgiveness muscles.
That the strike strengthened my admin relationship and they took care of said crazy people.
That I get to leave work and enjoy my beautiful little family including the gift of watching DS win his first cross country meet.

And finally that the biggest struggles and the greatest joys have not affected what I eat. For Today, I will write some, take a walk, pray, dress becomingly, listen, and breathe.

Tonight is DS recital. He is playing a Debussy Arabesque then Grandma will whisk him away. DH and I get date night. I will choose a place with a salad. Tomorrow is a 90th bday party for a family member who is the youngest of four siblings all of whom are still alive. As gardenerjoy says, "Events are great distractions from food."

Onebyone: How exciting to teach. I always learn so much when I have to teach something.
Curleyjax: So good to hear from you. Wonderful that your husband is doing well.
Nationalparker: Yeah for the 150's. We're almost weight twins. I am .2 of a pound away from 156 and am thrilled that means I am three pounds from goal.
KarenRn: Great that you have jumped right back in to exercise. You amaze me. I followed you on your blog. It might have been one of my inspirations to tell SIL to put our name into the Mt. Whitney lottery. Think big.
BBE: Why yes, I have sung the Bach B Minor. Are you impressed?

Last edited by maryann; 10-22-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #98  

Good morning coaches,

Another good day on the food plan yesterday and so far today. I got up and hiked Bell Pass this morning. It was a bit windy at the start, but no dust in the air. I was surprised that it was harder than I thought it would be. It's true that it is steeper than most of the hiking I've been doing, but I figured since I didn't have the 20 pound backpack on I would fly up the hill. I didn't. Don't know if it was cause I still have jet lag, deconditioning (what after hiking 500 miles?) or if it's from the poor nutrition I've had for the past 6 weeks. In any event it makes me focus even more on eating very healthy and I'll try to be better about taking my vitamins at least for awhile. I'm backpacking the Grand Canyon beginning 11/13, so I need to be stronger on the hills than I felt this morning.

Maryann Good on you for getting into the Mt. Whitney lottery. Now that sounds tough! I do hope to do more hiking in the Sierra's next summer though.

Bill Your evening musical performance sounds wonderful. There isn't much music that I don't like. I need to look at getting tickets for at least a couple of things this year.

Waving to everyone and now I shall head to the store for more fruits and vegetables. Dh is having a golf lesson.

Karen
Old 10-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #99  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking Got it

Coaches

My referral to the clinic I want to attend came to me by mail! Shocking. I thought I'd get a phonecall but I stead I got a letter. Dec 7 at 4pm. I am so happy to be doing this. DH does not know. No one but you guys know. My workshop money will cover the fee for it, though possibly our insurance might cover it too which would be a bonus. Yes, I am hopeful.

Food wise still wavering. Better but not great. 55% maybe? Slightly better. Weight up to 271.8.

OK, back to prepping for tomorrow.

Bye! Think happy thoughts for me and my students!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #100  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Brutus commits suicide (Rome, A.D. 42)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Was delighted to make the trip to Home Depot to pick up some 100-watt-equivalent LED light bulbs that are dimmable. I had to order them online to be delivered to the nearby store. Also bought the light dimmer. I was set to go. Got home to discover that the bulbs are NOT dimmable. Have no idea how I got led astray. Later search online could only find dimmable bulbs that size at about $30 each. Ouch! This light bulb business is exasperating.

Food was OK, CREDIT moi, primarily because snacks were limited to two. The pull off plan lately has been with snacks. When I sit at my table at my home with DW prepared foods, staying the path is pretty easy. Dinner last night was her lamb stew cooked for hours with tons of spices - with not a spec of fat in sight. So good.

onebyone – Congrats for getting your appointment. It's only 44 days until December 7th. Sending happy thoughts for you and your students today.

maryann - Super Kudos for "biggest struggles and the greatest joys have not affected what I eat." [Why, yes, indeed, I am impressed. It's hard to believe that you could sing Bach's Mass in B Minor and not just soar up to the heavens.]

Karen (karenrn) - Symptom of sane eating, "head to the store for more fruits and vegetables."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

"So, if you want this year to produce different results, doesn't it mean that you have to do things differently? I'm wondering if it would be good to think about not cooking everything from scratch. If you did, it would free up some time for you to do things like sticking to regular meals, and it would free up some energy to you could focus on healthy eating."

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-24-2016 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #101  

Good morning coaches,

Ate at the higher end of calories yesterday, but still within what I could have, I just ate more of my exercise calories and it was all good nutrition. I'm going to take the day off of exercise today and try to get back into the habit of going to church, which I have not been good at. Tomorrow I'll be hiking with Hiking Suzanne. When I sent her a text to arrange it, she responded "I didn't know if you would ever want to hike again." Heck, I want to and I have to in order to keep my weight in check.

I had a really good nights sleep last night without a sleep aid and slept until 4:20 this morning, which is about normal at our house. Hopefully this jet lag will be over with before too many more days.

Bill The lamb stew sounds delicious. I'm still waiting for the temps to come down a bit here in order to cook things that heat up the house. Won't be long though.

Onebyone I hope the new program is all that you hope for. Sometimes just a little more structure, or whatever, does the trick.

Waving to everyone else. I'm getting cleaned up and will even wear a dress to church today since I have a couple of new ones. Have a great Sunday everybody!

Karen
Old 10-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #102  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy Sunday! It's a gorgeous one here - sunny, cool (started at 38) and breezy day. Just off the exercise bike for a while and will take our pooch for a trail walk as soon as DH gets ready. I'm going to wait to shower until I'm back ... and I know it'll be a day with much spent in the kitchen. Yesterday was errands and more errands and DH went along, which is good time together but also not the most time efficient. I do want to swing by Sams for more duraflame logs to burn now and then. We didn't get home yesterday until 7:30 and I started our dinner (homemade chicken tortilla soup) as soon as the cold items were handled. Still, we weren't sitting down to eat until 8:30. It was VERY good and VERY spicy ... DH kept saying how much he loved the black bean soup earlier this week. I'd made it multiple times before and he never raved like he is now. Funny. He built a roaring fire and we just read afterward...no online time for me.

Scale is up today again but we enjoyed a Panera choc croissant yesterday, splitting a free one from my birthday treat they put on my card six weeks ago. He's up as well, but I think it's just that now it always goes up until it levels out and starts going down. 10 weeks of daily tracking is teaching me the rhythms of my body.

Aiming to return for personals later today. I WAS happy to score a number of work clothes - two skirts and two sweaters, all of which can be very dressy, too, along with a clearance dress for under $20. That's a bit dressier. I tried on a pair of 12 slacks that were solidly tooo big and asked for a 10 but they were out. I don't wear a 10 in anything else and know they're just made large, this pants. But I liked them and thought I'd look for them online... Felt good to buy flattering clothes. Thinking of you, Maryann, when I was!
Old 10-24-2016, 03:36 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

Default Monday - United Nations Day (1945)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A long day of catching up with tasks with deadlines approaching. DW and I went to a big yard sale at a nursery school to get stuff for the visits with the DGD. Came home with a stroller ($8) and three bags of books and toys - a real haul. Then spent the next hours playing with it all. The worst purchase was a battery operated xylophone that played out of tune and worked poorly even with fresh batteries. It played so poorly that we took out our fresh batteries and put it in the recycle bin - no child should learn music from that. Best purchases were pull toys and lots of wooden trucks from a bygone era.

Eating was good enough, given that we ate dinner with a friend at a Tibetan restaurant. The dishes were shared so I ate less that my share and let our friend pick up the slack. It was fun to chat with someone who had lived in Iceland for two years and knew all the places we'd visited.

nationalparker – Congrats for being able to buy flattering clothes. A roaring fire sounds like a good way to get started into winter.

Karen (karenrn) - Happy Hiking Suzanne day! Neat that you didn't wear yourself out from such a fun sport.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

"Well, it probably would help. But I just can't imagine buying prepared food for a holiday!"

"It doesn't have to be all or nothing, does it?" I asked. "It's not as if you have to either make everything from scratch or buy everything. Isn't there a pretty big middle ground?"

Kathleen nodded. "That's true."

"So are there some things you could buy?"

Kathleen thought about it. "Ummmm, I actually like the dips I've gotten from the farmers' market. I could get those. And they have a really good sweet potato casserole."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 164
Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in. Weekend was lots of time with DH which was a good thing. This morning will be filled with conflicts no doubt with parent issues. I have prayed and meditated. I have packed my lunch. No sweets at work. No matter what, three o'clock will come and the work day will be finished.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #105  

Good morning coaches,

Well so much for thinking the jet lag was over. Either that or it's hormonal. I was awake numerous times and woke up the final time at 2:30 this morning. I kind of quit my very low dose hormones on the trip cause I had forgotten to take them so many times. I have stayed on them because I have mild osteopenia, which means my bones aren't as great as you would think they would be for all the hiking I do. So when I forgot them so many times, I figured I would just go off. Now I'm not sure. I'll give it a little time, but I am having mild hot flashes that wake me up and I hate to say it but my motto is "Better living thru chemistry". Luckily I don't need much chemistry, but we'll see.

I had some carmel corn yesterday afternoon while visiting with some friends who were in town. Just munched away obliviously. Oh well. This morning the scale was a little higher than it's been, but I put the new number in MFP and 3FC. My hike this morning with Suzanne was great. We went slow since we had visiting to do. She told me about a new women's group in connection with the McDowell Sonoran Preserve where we are both stewards. It's kind of a social club. So I made my donation and signed up for the November luncheon. Sounds like fun. They also have a book club (which is full for now) and they do hikes and happy hours. Sounds like my cup of tea.

Maryann I hope the conflicts are fewer than anticipated. Glad you had a good weekend.

Bill Suzanne also has a new little granddaughter born last February. She has recently been purchasing things to have at her house (baby lives in MN) and has also gotten some great deals including a pottery barn rocking lamb for $12, which retails for $200. I think it's great. My sister in law also buys second hand for her grandchildren and gets some wonderful finds.

Nationalparker Great job on the productive shopping trip. I may need to do that again soon as we are attending a birthday party 11/4 and so far I don't know what I'll wear.

Just a brief report that Otis is now slightly larger than a TV remote. I know this because his human mother posts numerous photos, which I love.

Have a good start to the week everybody!
Closed Thread