Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #61  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Oh Well

Coaches

I have not been vigilant or even just simply writing out my food and the scale has jumped to 272.5. I can tell I am water-logged. I had one of those "eat before you begin your diet" compulsive days, actually not one, but two, of those days and the scale jumped. I had a not great weekend, and the scale jumped. Back to basics today. Lower the carbs. Eat less. Walk a bit. Drink water! That is sorely missing. My water intake was up to 12 cups a day which was perfect or me at this size, but I went from 12 to zero. It's not a mystery why the scale jumped.

Yesterday the kiln at the guild failed us so this means what I had hoped to have for this weekend's studio tour I won't have. Thankfully I have lots of stuff anyway. This new work will be completed next week. Oh well.

I am anxiously awaiting my referral. I had thought it would happen right away. Meaning yesterday, but not yet.

Oh time to go. Will check in later.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #62  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Early check-in for me - this plan is WORKING. Down 13 pounds even for me on this plan now - 161.8 this morning. Was excited and realized that pants I'd bought for last winter that really didn't fit but I figured I'd "get into them" at some point are now fairly baggy. DH is down an even 30. THIRTY. I can't believe that. I'm so happy for him. My goal was to be down 15 by Thanksgiving, so I'm going to rework that when I get to 15. Not if, but when.

Now when I say I'm "on plan" I'm truly ON a plan, not winging something together in my mind (or on paper). Not one minute of calorie counting on this - just working in the healthy foods in ample portions, and cycling them. And of course, the water. I do want a Pepsi Max now and then, but when I think of the artificial stuff in it... nah. Before when someone would say they're on a plan that restricts sugar or whatever, I'd think, "I should do that but I can't or don't want to, really" ... now having followed it for nearly two months, I sure as heck wish I'd have found this earlier. My desire to drop the excess weight and get healthier is stronger than my desire to eat the junk now.

Thanks for letting me reaffirm that in my mind. Especially as I see all the Halloween stuff that's all over, along with the pumpkin this and that and then the Christmas stuff will supplant that, followed by Valentine's, then Easter, then ... I have to keep in mind that the temptations will always be here. I've looked up a pumpkin oatmeal recipe to bake for breakfast this weekend to get a bit of the harvest flavors...
Old 10-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #63  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Chuck Yeager breaks sound barrier (1947, Edwards AFB)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was takeout from my favorite Greek place. It was healthy, CREDIT moi, but I ate alone while working on the computer (abandoned by DW). It would have been better to split the meal before I took it up to my office. By the time I looked up from what I was doing, it was totally consumed. Ouch. Tasty stuff just slides down so smoothly.

Walked, CREDIT moi, both to my class and later to a showing of the film Sharing the Rough. The film seemed to be designed to make me want to pay big bucks for Tanzanite, Topaz, Tourmaline, Turquoise, and the like made into glamorous jewelry. Meh. Gemstones aren't my thing. I would, however, jump through high hoops for a real meteorite.

onebyone – Ouch for a kiln with an attitude. (Is it gas fired or electric?) Those "eat before you begin your diet" Sabotaging Thoughts take real vigilance to counter.

nationalparker – Congrats on those 13 pounds worked away. Big Kudos for "truly ON a plan" - the little practiced secret for success.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#4: The Before the Big Day Trap

The one exception to unplanned eating would be when Kathleen legitimately needed to taste some of the dishes she was cooking. She decided that would be the extent of the extra food she'd consume before the holiday itself. She started a list.
The Day Before Thanksgiving
  1. Eat normally. Follow my usual schedule: breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.

2. If I want, plan in advance to substitute (don't add) special food (like pecans) into my meals and snacks.

3. No spontaneous substitutions.

4. Do only necessary tasting.

5. Read my advantages list and reminder cards as needed throughout the day.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 161
Old 10-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #64  
Enjoying la bella vita

Happy Friday, all! I'm not sure what kicked my system in high gear the past few days, but I'm thankful. Scale at 160.8 a few times this morning and I'm keeping it. Between us we're down 44.4 pounds, mostly all DH. I'm down 14 now on this plan. Would love to meet my goal on my ticker and then reset it a bit lower and try to maintain.

Donut Friday, I'm looking you in the eye and passing up the old-fashioned vanilla frosted with leaf sprinkles!

Last night after our tuna/cuke/onion on salad dinner (my least favorite, I'll say it again), we hustled down to an outdoor mall south of the city to go to a store that sells balsamic vinegars and special oils. Picked up a few good ones to try and some as gifts. Stopped in at Old Navy to see what we could spend an old gift card on and didn't find anything that we needed at this time, but DH scored a great pair of walking shoes at another store for $30 and I had a $10 off rewards! Wanted more time to meander through Barnes & Noble, but we were closing it down. Glad DH went with me for that find.

Ran out of time on my library loan of A Square Meal (about how the Depression altered what comes to our table) but I'll put it back on hold and finish it when I come up again. I'm checking out too many books and starting them all and not finishing many.

Bill - Ouch for missing some of the enjoyment of the Greek dinner. Kudos for continued learning on such a wide range of topics!

OneByOne - Good luck with the restart and hearing back from your dr. I kind of like how Canada's Thanksgiving is more distant from Christmas. Ours seems to allow the slide into one major holiday season... With Bill's excerpt posts, I'm rethinking our Thanksgiving and will cut a bit of the quantity and variety, even if much of the leftovers go to his folks. I don't want the temptation of all of the leftovers, bread, mashed potatoes, etc., to be around me for so long.

Maryann - Hope you're able to look forward to a relaxing weekend, if not totally, but in pockets. I set time to journal this morning before getting going - thank you for the example that I can do this.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #65  
Green Tomatoes

Finished with four nights in a row of evening activities -- and I'm tired! I'm looking forward to staying in tonight and cooking one of our normal healthy suppers.

I also think that I can get some kitchen work done today and some grocery shopping. Both will help!

Weigh-in: NA kg
Exercise: +50, 570/1300 minutes for October
Food: NA% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes
Old 10-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #66  
persist

Default NEWS FLASH: Energy level affects mood.

Coaches

I am tired right now. I'm tired but I have a second night shift of work to do to get ready for our local Studio Tour this weekend. I am with 2 other artists this Saturday and Sunday at the tea room/gallery our guild and the spinners and weavers guild operate. It's a local historic site whose claim to fame is it's the longest standing home on its original site.

OK, so I wrote this hours ago. I managed to get one critical task done. That's it. But that one was important and I still have tomorrow morning.

So the scale crept a bit higher again. 272.8 now. I'm starting to feel bad enough again to really get strict again. My high number is lower than it was earlier this year, so that's progress but wow. I look forward to leaving this phase behind. I mean really behind.

Have a good night.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #67  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - I Love Lucy premiers (CBS, 1951)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I attempted to buy decorative pumpkins from a local Garden Center - one whose business is being hurt by endless street construction. I chose two. The owner came over and suggested that I not buy them because that batch had not fared well; a new batch would arrive after lunch. I just loved it. Even though he needed business, he waved me off to be sure that I didn't go home with a pumpkin that wouldn't last. Naturally, I'll go back today. Our porch always has a pair of pumpkins (uncarved) for the duration around Halloween.

Big event was a trip to Toys-R-Us for a car seat for the one year old GDD so we can pick her up for visits. One more time I was blown away by the variety and prices. We did manage to get an old-fashioned Umbrella Stroller for $30 instead of the more fashionable ones for $400! We're slipping locks on the cabinets in the kitchen that she loves to open. Slowly my house will begin to look like a nursery. But, CREDIT moi, I'm not eating over it, LOL.

onebyone – Yes, yes, yes: "NEWS FLASH: Energy level affects mood." The Snickers' ads that show folks changing from monsters into humans after a candy bar have that one part right - missing, of course, that a sugar high is only temporary and not healthy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for a night at home after four nights out.

nationalparker – Continued Kudos for sticking to your new eating plan - with such nice results. Yay for bargains when out shopping.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

Kathleen realized that a reminder card would be helpful, too.
If I get tempted by extra food (crackers, dips, etc.)
in the house that I haven't planned in advance
to eat, remind myself that I want to start a new
tradition of healthy eating this year. If I want to
feel good, I have to stick to my plan.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 161
Old 10-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's food would have been typical for me three weeks ago, but a whole lot more than my new lighter way of eating. I don't like how it made me feel -- lower energy and bloated. That, I hope, will motivate a better day today. But I need a plan....Okay -- DONE, including a plan for the grocery shopping that will support the plan.

Weigh-in: NA kg
Exercise: +40, 610/1300 minutes for October
Food: 70% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes
Old 10-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Super happy yesterday was Friday. I had a facial planned (one of the treats to which I can commit because of my new income from full time work.) What a relief to be free for a few days from the job that holds so much ambivalence for me right now. I did call human resources to make sure I was not marked as a striker. And No I would not be docked. And Yes I will have a full year of retirement. And Yes I can retire in 12/2019.The last seems too far off. My broken heart calls for me to quit tomorrow. But I wouldn't leave a class with a sub and I have promised DH to work through the year. My feelings may change and I would take a huge retirement hit were I to walk away in summer. Just for today . . . I will show up and be the best teacher I can be. I do not have to be perfect. I do note even have to like it. I just have to be present and be of service. In that vein, I pursued counseling options for a few of my students. I took pictures of a few of my freshman and sophomores who dressed as "Dory" for Under the Sea homecoming week. I smiled when the teenagers were unreasonably surly. I laughed when they felt unreasonably silly. In short, I participated in life.

October has been completely free of sweets at work.

Like nationalparker, I have been playing peek a boo with a new lower number on the scale. Hopefully it will show tomorrow so I can change my ticker.

nature girl: It is truly a great relief to be back on plan rather than playing with a plan. Good Luck for the week.
onebyone: I have been frustrated with the pace of medical action this week. Patience is required but unfortunately I seem to have little.
BBE: We STILL have slides on some outlets in the house. Be careful what you put on, it may never come off.

Last edited by maryann; 10-15-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #70  
Enjoying la bella vita

Looking forward to a dressy evening out in another town tonight, so checking in early. Loads of construction on the road to get there, so we're planning on leaving with a great deal of extra time. Hope we end up there early and can find something that fits in our plan to eat for dinner. This isn't the weekend to indulge a bit, that was last weekend, so want to aim to stay on track as best we can. DH is really committed and is great support. He's set our next goal (and asked if I was good with it) at 60 down by Italy, basically Christmas. I think that's doable between us.

Scale remained at 160.8 this morning - helping me understand it's not a fluke when it goes down. Lunch today will be an italian sausage veg soup ... trying a new recipe, but need to get the crushed tomatoes first. As soon as DH is back from Home Depot, I'll make a speedy run to the market. This morning has just been cleaning and laundry, but nice to eat a relaxing breakfast with DH, especially since he helped in the kitchen. Bought a fatigue mat for the kitchen as my old one wasn't great and is looking pretty shabby. this new brand name one is superb. Nothing extraordinary to check in with - just will finish the marketing for this week, or at least part 2 of it. Last night we hit Trader Joe's and spent a good bit but everything was on the list, so I can accept that.

Have a wonderful Saturday!
Old 10-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #71  
persist

Unhappy Only in Canada

Coaches

My prepaid and planned for writing workshop did not happen today because Hockey Night in Canada/Hometown Hockey set up stakes in the town my class was in and I circled.the.area for 30min looking for parking. I gave up and came.home. I am.disappointed in myself though I know I tried. http://www.hometownhockey.com/news/7253/ EIGHT tractor trailers set up all filled with hockey related people places and things.

Other than this the Studio Tour this morning, before I left for my class, was underwhelming. We had four visitors before I left. Not many more after I was.told. Tomorrow will be rainy. I had hoped to.work outside. I still might as.there is a covered porch. We'll see.

Food was not bad = improved

Weighed in to see 270.5 so down.overnight. No prediction about tomorrow's weighin.

I have reinstated a few habits that were working for me before and will.work on adding more back over the week. DH is on two weeks holiday. We have no plans. He has plans. I have work. Tis the season for that for me.

Bye for now.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #72  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Hunter's Moon, Supermoon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Hard to believe, but big event was a second trip to Toys-R-Us to exchange the car seat purchased yesterday for one that faces backward (for another year) then can be turned around to face forward. Hard to believe, indeed, that we missed that big issue. We arrived at the store without knowing how many pounds the GDD weighs - the first question they ask.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, at a late afternoon event where I mostly avoided the cheese and crackers. I had two (planned) stuffed grape leaves calling it my afternoon snack. Since dinner was lentils, it was a vegetarian day.

onebyone – Kudos for "reinstated a few habits that were working for me before." Ouch for hockey madness blocking the rest of life - The NHL should issue refunds to all who were blocked by their EIGHT tractor trailers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat that you recognize how the eating makes you feel.

maryann - Just love it, "In short, I participated in life." Tracking the moods of teens must be a challenge.

nationalparker – Life is good when a new kitchen mat is part of the day's successes. Kudos for thinking through the restaurant before the dressy event.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

I asked Kathleen to describe what her day would look like. "I get up really early, around five o'clock, to start baking - my speciality," she said with pride. "I also make side dishes and hors d'oeuvres. I have to set the table, usually for about twenty-five people. And I always end up having to run out to the supermarket for last-minute ingredients." She signed, "I get really tired. Then it's hard to stay in control."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 162
Old 10-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Nice brisk walk this morning. Helped DS proof narrative. I was a better helper today than yesterday. Yesterday we butted heads. I kept saying "I do this for a living! Why are you fighting me on this?" Note to self: I am a mother at home and not a teacher. Give DS a bit of slack. We both learned a good lesson I think.

Yesterday I was in a lot of neck pain. This has been chronic but there was a flare yesterday. Pain relievers and constant heating pads bumped the scale a pound and a half. Oh well. it is just a number. Stay OP today and all will be fine. I get so scared (as Lexxiss discussed) that this if for ever, that there is an immediacy to it. No, I will slowly heal. I took a gentle walk.

Nationalparker: I want to do a little more research on your food plan. You have had so much success. I also remember you saying months ago how you wanted a partner for support and now look at you and your husband go. Terrific.

BBEhanks for reminding me its the cheese and crackers that are the devil and not the grape leaves. i have been doing the former rather than the latter this week.

onebyone: Good thing to find old patterns that work.

Last edited by maryann; 10-16-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #74  
Enjoying la bella vita

A good day, though it's turned rainy this afternoon - steady rain. Got out and walked the trail with pooch this morning, and then bathed her, so tackled that project finally. She was a bit ripe. To me, anyway.

Worked our fave bruschetta into the food plan by using sprouted grain rolls instead of a baguette, and thinly slicing them before toasting under the broiler. Lunch was delicious! DH commented that this goes into the rotation. Friday through Sunday is when we're adding in ample amounts of healthy fats, so the olive oil was perfect. Dinner tonight will be roasted Brussels sprouts and kebobs. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to them. Yesterday for a very late lunch I made a turkey Italian sausage and veg soup that was delicious! We have extra for lunch tomorrow and then one more serving. I was surprised that it was so good - leeks, celery, carrots, garlic, crushed tomatoes, etc.

The show was just phenomenal - Chris Botti - a favorite of mine. He showcases his musicians so wonderfully, allowing each one to really shine. I brought a snack for us for before the performance, but on the way home we were stuck in construction forever and ended up not getting home until midnight. We stopped once through the tieup for restroom and snack at a gas station... and were determined to stay on plan. Who would have thought we'd fine raw almonds and freeze dried apple slices (ingredients? Apples - that's it. Perfect.)

Maryann - This foodplan is The Fast Metabolism Diet - I found the book at the library, and checked out both the kindle version and the hardback, but i finally had to return the hardback one... It probably almost doubled the amount of food we were eating some days. I kid you not. You're eating every three hours or so, and if you're up several hours after dinner, you're to add in another snack. If you decide down the line that you're going to start, PM me if you like and I'll send along some resources that I've found to be very helpful. The first two weeks were a major challenge to me, but since then, it's been much easier. We're spending more on some ingredients at home (balsamic vinegar, xylitol (sugar from birch trees) and much less on other foods and eating out. I have to keep reminding myself that just because a healthy food (like bananas) isn't on the lists for now, it's not something we can't ever have, it's just not the prime food to rev up your metabolism. That's the one thing I had to grasp. Thank you for reminding me how important it was for me to have DH's support with a food plan.

Bill - FUNNY on the car seat, but frustrating to have to do an errand twice. How times have changed since I used to babysit nearly daily for four children, who now would all need car/booster seats ... how i loved those children and was lucky to care for them for years. Hopefully we can enjoy the full moon after the clouds disperse.

OneByOne - May this be the start of a solid week on plan for you - good choices and setting wise habits in place.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #75  
persist

Coaches

Quick hello

Studio tour is over. My next hurdle could be a Sunday workshop about linocut relief printmaking. I think I will have the minimum students needed. I ordered supplies last week just in case it ran. Credit for moving ahead.

Food wise an ok day. Scale rose this morning to 271.6. ok. Did not drink enough water.

Guess that's it. Tomorrow I'll call the Dr office to see if the referral was actually sent to the specialist or not.

DH is on holidays now. He's happy. His company's stocks were halted on the stock market last Thursday. Seems there may be a takeover or merger or something. No one knows. Some major work thing always happens when he us on holiday. This will be three for three holidays with a Big Thing occurring. It is more important than ever for me to secure my own finances once again *just in case* I am called upon to seriously contribute once again.

Better go! Good night.
Closed Thread