Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Guess I better write a "worth it" memory as noted in BBE's excerpt. Lots of food I didn't eat at the pumpkin patch. Lots of food sampled in the reasonable sense of sample. Stopped when I was full. Scale a little up but that could be from some pain med and/or grains which I have been severely restricting lately.

It was wonderful to spend four hours with people who have known me for 35 years. It is wonderful to watch the kids grow up healthy and happy.

I came home feeling great and then called my mom to calendar a few events. I realize an hour or two later anxiety had crept in. I directly related it to my mom. I love her. I am glad she is in my life but I can not deny she says things that inadvertently start the panic cycle in me. No blame. Just a realization. I have also been reviewing the little calendar I have been keeping since my breakdown in February. There are just a few notes on if I had to take as need anxiety meds, workouts, weight sleep patterns, some gratitude lists and notes about emotional shifts. it seems that at the very end of most months DH and I have fight. Wow. I never would have realized it was so regular. My first thought was that it was pretty good to only fight once a month - as opposed to my parents fighting every day. My second thought was how do we turn the fight into a strong discussion. Knowledge is power. Same thinking with food. By keeping the little calendar I have learned that using a meal replacement bar or smoothie for one meal gives me a good shot at weight loss. So does No sweets at work. It is funny to think it has taken me until my early fifties to figure these things out

nationalparker: Super congrats on another pound down.
BBE: Love love love the little ones. So wonderful you have her in your life.
onebyone: It sounds like you are aware of patterns as well. Three cheers for being willing to adjust to the knowledge.

Last edited by maryann; 10-09-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #47  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Very fast weekend - so much done and so much yet to do. Same ol'... Was OP today but a bit more fluidity in the plan. Roasted sliced Brussels sprouts and actually liked them. Don't care for them normally. Took an Ina Garten recipe and tried that and WOW. What a difference

Scale stayed in 162's. YAY. Treated myself to a pair of black "booties" to wear with jeans and if I get brave, skirts/tights. We'll see. Don't want to look stumpy. Better note tomorrow. Weary. Just finished my office work and ready to hit the sack.

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-10-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Columbus day celebrated (West Indies, 1492)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It rained all day, making the gardener DW very happy even though that cancelled our morning bird walk. The lull gave me a chance to finish Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Did OK, CREDIT moi, at a potluck lunch. Potluck always makes me want more, more, more. I sat next to a green-bean-thin guy who ate four desserts. Life isn't fair.

onebyone – Yes, you deserve the positive scale readings that come in response to your efforts. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving. Hope dinner with your MIL goes well.

maryann - Kudos for "Just a realization" instead of blame. Yay for time spent with folks who've know you forever.

nationalparker – I absolutely adore roasted sliced Brussels sprouts. Yay, indeed, for buying clothes that make you happy.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#4: The Before the Big Day Trap
You get loose with your eating
even before the holiday starts.
Kathleen loved entertaining friends and her large brood at holidays. The mother of four grown children, Kathleen had nine grandchildren and two more on the way. She had been doing quite will and was gradually losing weight. At a session in early November, we began to discuss Thanksgiving.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 160
Old 10-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #49  
Green Tomatoes

I was feeling discouraged by the scale, but I forgot how slowly kilograms go. When I converted to pounds, I discovered that I lost a pound in the last week -- that's actually quite fast for me. That's good because I ate about as well as I can imagine last week.

This week is going to be tougher -- I won't be home at supper time for 4 nights in a row. At least one of those nights, I'll eat something from home before I leave, but there will also be carry-outs and meals out. Knowing that I lost a pound last week will help me make good, light, choices this week.

I'm putting this response card on the top of my stack for this week: "On special event days, I enjoy eating very lightly. Special events provide a great distraction from food, so they are a terrific opportunity to get ahead on my weight loss."

The challenge may be my new "one snack" rule. I often want something to eat when I get home from an evening event and I used to save one of my two snacks for that purpose. Now, I'm going to need to decide if I can make do without an afternoon snack, saving it for evening, or if I can make do without the evening snack. Okay -- calling that an interesting experiment so that I don't get all uptight about it.

Weigh-in: -0.35 kg
Exercise: +40, 400/1300 minutes for October
Food: NA% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes
Old 10-11-2016, 05:54 AM   #50  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

It's sure been a busy 10 days complicated by my lingering back/body issue. I am making progress in healing and am reminded of when MaryAnn spent a great while just taking it slow and concentrating on healing/not reinjuring. I'm back in maintenance mode after a month of losing but it feels great at a lower weight. I'm also back to some snacking at work. Minimal, but there. I remember I ate less at work when I took my "apple water" every day. I will commit to getting back to that with next weeks cycle. Today I need to take something with me because I leave work and drive to my bodywork apt (rolfing). Credit moi for spending $$ on myself. Must keep moving this morning.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Reagan meets Gorbachev (Reykjavik, 1986)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to my evening event where the discussion drifted into the perils of nuclear arms. Seems that the danger is increasing, not decreasing as was hoped some thirty years ago. Grown up talk can be so depressing.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was omelets - one of my favorites. I used Columbus day to read a good chunk of William J. Perry's My Journey at the Nuclear Brink. My mind had just assumed that all that stuff would just go away. Sobering read.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on that pound lost. Thanks for "On special event days, I enjoy eating very lightly. Special events provide a great distraction from food, so they are a terrific opportunity to get ahead on my weight loss." I, too, need help with special events since they appear ever more frequently. The first months of my journey some eleven years ago, I took great pleasure in eating lightly at Thanksgiving dinner and over the holidays. It's helpful to remember that pleasure.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, Super Kudos for "spending $$ on myself"– a tough challenge. Hope that back heals quickly.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

I asked her to describe a typical Thanksgiving holiday. She told me that the entire family and some close friends descend on her home in late morning and stay the whole day. They had developed a number of rituals over the years: a pickup game of touch football (with even some of the little ones playing), looking at photographs of the family at holidays from years ago, helping Grandpa do yard work, and eating lots and lots and lots of food.

Around noon, Kathleen puts out pigs in a blanket, several kinds of gourmet cheeses and crackers, exotic dips and chips, stuffed mushrooms, and miniature crab cakes - all before the luncheon feast is even served! And she bakes enough dessert, she told me, "to feed an army."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 160

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-11-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #52  
Green Tomatoes

I complained about the scale and got a one pound drop overnight. Heh. That was in spite of an unexpected lunch out followed by carry-outs for supper. It helped a lot that I was thinking about eating lightly so I made good choices.

My solution to one snack or two turned out to be obvious -- 1/2 in the afternoon, 1/2 in the evening.

Due to an evening meeting that begins at 5:15, a half-hour drive away, today's "supper" will have to be so early that I'll have no trouble skipping my afternoon snack.

Weigh-in: -0.5 kg
Exercise: +40, 440/1300 minutes for October
Food: 80% on-plan
Old 10-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #53  
Enjoying la bella vita

Making homemade chicken and rice soup for dinner. Hope it comes out okay. I think I might have over paprika'd it. New verb. New recipe. I don't care for soup much, but need to change up from the many varied salads. I said if it's crummy, we'll have the annie's organic lentil and veg soup. I'm slowly getting better at freezing items for midweek. Will take out the chili lime chicken burgers for tomorrow's lunch since leftover soup has to wait through this next food phase. Weight back up into the 163s but compared to last week when I was anxious to see it, I'm just doing what I know I need to. Aim to either walk the trail or get on the bike tonight. A beautiful night, so hoping for the trail, but I won't walk alone. Mowed half the lawn last night and should finish it here soon. Got the leafiest part done.

Lexxiss - Continued good luck with your back pain. That seems to go right through you. I had to look up rolfing, I'd not heard of it! This forum is a resource of so much good info!

Bill - Oh, omelets are a favorite of mine, too, though they end up being a scramble because I'm not a competent omelet maker. Will keep that in mind for a Saturday breakfast. Merci! I wonder if I can stray a bit from plan and add a smidge of cheese to mine.

GardenerJoy - Funny that looming questions can have a simple answer - great choice to split the snack!

Five of the seven days on our plan is hard to eat the full amount of food that's recommended. I struggle to understand why it's been a steady loss with the volume of varied foods, but I'm not arguing.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #54  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up took steps

Coaches

Today I made a Dr. appt and saw my GP. I went with paper in hand for a place I wanted him to refer me to. My foodplan of choice led me to read this book called The Obesity Code. I love this book and I am a believer. I discovered to my astonishment that the Author's obesity clinic is a mere 33 minute drive from me and to be his patient in his program is $300 for the year. To be his patient requires a Dr referral. I got that today. I am scared and excited to maybe, hopefully, (yes?), start this program. I feel fortunate, really lucky, to have this resource in my backyard. I hope it happens asap.

Meanwhile I cannot say I had a great food day today. I overate tonight. I am stuffed. I did weigh myself and saw 269.6. Up from yesterday's 268. I walked home form the Dr's office today carrying two bags of groceries so I give myself credit for that.

I found myself skyping with my sister, who is very supportive of my weightloss efforts and I didn't tell her about my plans. I didn't tell DH, nor did I tell my friend who dropped me off at the Dr. She was worried about why I was going there and I just said I had followup paperwork to give him. I don't feel comfortable telling anybody. I am, of course, afraid I will fail, that it won't work, that I can't do it. All sabotaging thoughts that will need to be put to rest. There are bi-weekly and then weekly group sessions and I am hoping there is some psychological support for us as we go through the program. So many weightloss things do not address any of our issues.No wonder I like Beck. For someone like me the mental the thinking the strategies are really a big part of success or failure. While I have not had huge weightloss, and in my time here I have had gains and then losses, I do know that I would be much heavier were it not for this forum, for Beck, for the example of you guys out there. I am hoping that discovering this and giving it a shot will be some more of the missing pieces for me to lose this weight I have been carrying for decades. Maybe it is my time to do that. Whether it is or it isn't the important thing is to keep coming back, to keep trying. I do do that so credit there.

I will keep you all posted.

Bye for now.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:09 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - National Fossil Day (National Park Service, 2010)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was a baked white fish - probably Cod, but I forgot to ask DW. That along with a heaping serving of bok choy to give the meal volume for few calories. CREDIT moi for consuming a fine dinner.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to class and back. I bumped into a friend wearing a T-shirt while I was wearing a jacket; he'd just left his house and laughed at me for being so overdressed. The temperatures changes so rapidly.

onebyone – Super Kudos for taking the first step toward the program you want to enter. Neat to recognize that psychological support for our issues is the key.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I hate when events are scheduled so that it's difficult to have dinner before or after. CREDIT moi for finding a solution. (It's so annoying that I looked up 'bi-weekly' from onebyone's post and found that I'm confused because it's used for both twice a week and once every two weeks. Why can't you people in charge of the English language make it simpler?)

nationalparker – I find this comforting, "I'm just doing what I know I need to."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

I asked Kathleen how she felt last year when Thanksgiving was over. "Well, I felt okay until I looked at the photos the kids e-mailed me," she said. "Then I felt pretty bad. I couldn't believe I looked so big."

It was difficult to get her eating back under control. "I hated gaining weight and undoing all my hard work. But it's such a strong pattern with me," she said. "I start to get looser with my eating the day before Thanksgiving. I have all these foods in the house that I normally don't buy. I tend to taste everything I bake. . . . Then I eat way too much on Thanksgiving and sometimes for the next few days, too. Within a few days, I've sometimes gained back everything I had lost in the previous month!"

Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

Sub. day today. I have a bunch of apps I have put off since the strike. Feels good to not have to go to campus.

Weight is at 158 I realized that is only five pounds from goal. Wow. I need to go to WW to get my free stuff but available time remains illusive. Working full time with a teenager and a farmer has proved to be a rollercoaster. But I continue to remember that in a few years I will have all the time I want and miss these days.

First things first: prayer and meditation (2 mins ), breakfast for DS and myself; plan for lunch is a Starbuck's lunch box with proportioned food; plan for dinner is a salad with sponsor.

Wave to all.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #57  
Green Tomatoes

I'm having trouble making time to do things in the kitchen that need to be done. And, today may be just as bad. Credit for making substitutes that are probably even lighter than the planned foods.

Weigh-in: -0.2 kg
Exercise: +40, 520/1300 minutes for October
Food: 80% on-plan

BillBlueEyes: I know! I refuse to use the term "bi-weekly" for that reason. If I want people to show up twice in a week or every other weeks, I've got to make it much more clear.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #58  
Enjoying la bella vita

Good day here. Cool weather returned this evening following rain showers. DH grilled dinner. As a non-beef eater, I bought the wrong type of steak for his dinner. Tough. The meat was tough, not tough cookies for him. He'll take my leftover turkey burger patties for tomorrow's lunch. I have lunch with a friend and we're just bringing our meals and meeting up, I think. I'd better email to check. IF not, then I'll have to figure out what works in this protein/alkaline veggie phase.

Made cabbage a new way to me tonight - simmered it in chicken broth. I would have liked to have cooked it longer, thought it needed to get more "English" ... DH liked it, though. I don't care for cabbage much, but trying to find ways to cook veggies I don't love to like them more. Why did I never try that before? Maybe because now there are no options. I can't just turn to corn or carrots or whatever I want any day.

Looking forward to kicking back and reading this evening. Calm night planned. DH put in a movie I don't want to see, so might enjoy a bubble bath and just hunker down for a bit.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Things I DIDN'T eat today:
old fashioned donut at Starbucks
Turkey Gravy (homemade) and mashed potatoes at school for lunch
Chips Ahoy S'mores cookies and Cheez Puffs at afterschool meeting
Anything from the 11 (count 'em) fast food joints I pass on my way home

So I guess credit. moi!

Wrote a brief post last night and the computer lost it. The post was about being to tired to plan and post - so I didn't try to re write it because I was, um, too tired. Mostly it was about struggling to stay on plan after a fun but tricky birthday week. Feel like I am sticking, but kinda grumpy about it.
nationalparker, good work trying new ways with veggies - when you are on these programs with few options to 'dress things up', you gotta get creative
Breakfast and lunch packed and planned, ready for the challenge of road food.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #60  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Paddington Bear found (Railroad platform, 1958)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to a bagel place at 6 am because they'd emailed me a coupon for a FREE bagel with cream cheese. I took it home and added fruit for breakfast. That was more calories than needed, to be sure, but an occasional bagel helps keep me away from the carbs otherwise. I later walked to a hardware store to buy 100 watt-equivalent LED light bulbs. Spent a long time studying the options then left because the ones on sale weren't dimmable. I'm so old that I remember buying light bulbs by the single parameter - wattage.

As my contribution to the language that uses bi-weekly to mean both twice a week and every other week, I submit the new word: bi-flammable to mean halfway between flammable and inflammable.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for thoughtful substitutions.

Nature Girl – Kudos for quite a list of food not eaten. Food at school meetings should be illegal.

maryann - Yay for a day without having to go to school.

nationalparker – We, too, had cabbage for dinner last night - must be something in the air, LOL. Hope you had a relaxing evening with your book.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

Kathleen needed some solid plans: one for the days leading up to the holiday, one for the holiday itself, and one for the days following the holiday. Plus she needed reminder cards to help her stick to these plans. She decided to have an "eat normally rule" for the day before Thanksgiving. This meant having roughly the same schedule for eating that she had been following, though she could plan in advance to incorporate some special foods into her meals and snacks. For example, she usually didn't keep nuts in the house but knew she would buy pecans to make a pecan pie. She could plan to have pecans for her afternoon snack in place of what she usually had.

Closed Thread