Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #31  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up August-full speed ahead

Coaches

My residency+bonus residency week ended last night. Well, technically it ended an hour ago when I went by to disassemble the card rack I have and put it int he car after unloading all the stuff I had packed up last night when we were done at 10pm. This morning I head to the ceramic guild where we are firing a bisque kiln and OMG I am not looking forward to a 900C kiln when we are already way too hot 25V feeling like 33C going to 33C feeling like 41C + humid as Hades. Oh boy. I wanted to work in there all day but doubt I will.

Foodwise, just holding steady. I'm not getting anywhere. I remain around 270. I would be more upset about it but I am feeling hot and tired. I should just admit I am maintaining until September. That's probably the truth of it.

nationalparker
my tomatoes also had (the plant just broke and died) very thick skins. I was growing yellow cherry tomatoes. I think it's the super hot temperatures. They needed a "thick skin" to protect themselves from the sun frying their delicate innards. That's what I think.

billblueyes
I just checked out that sweet paver ride! I may include it in my next arts grant application

lexxiss
I look at the out of control monster houses being built here. They all have complicated rooflines. Many have faux turrets. Saw two with a schoolhouse bell as an architectural feature (ugh). Everytime I really look at these houses I think young folks should go into roofing. There is going to be a goldmine in roofing withing the next decade. You could consider that a backup retirement gig!

Must go. Off to the guild and the superheated room. I'm bringing my fan.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #32  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Roof is finished and weight is back within my 5# range. It started to rain just as we finished and is supposed to rain for the next few days. Grateful for no leaks. Food op. No goodies to relieve stress. As soon as we finished yesterday I set up a haircut and went right down. After my cut I went next door for a manicure/pedicure. She got the asphalt off my hands and I felt quite human when I left. Proceeded yet again next door to the grocery where I purchased a natural roasted chicken and frozen broccoli. That was my dinner and I ate a lot. I had undereaten for the past few days. Credit for skinning the chicken to avoid temptation.

MaryAnn, lol I have "waitress dreams" from time to time. Glad your trip was enjoyable.

BBE, yay for a vegetarian day! PS great job with your plumbing.

Gardenerjoy, I have to really be mindful when shifting from one life pattern to the next. I acknowledge I do best with food when in a routine and not much has been routine lately.

NatureGirl, yay for avoiding the Creamery! Fun to have so much rafting right now.

Nationalparker, cool your tickets are booked! It was neat the other day when your DH wasn't going to walk and you committed anyway, then he joined in!

KarenRN, kudos for continued effort at the gym. Results will sure be rewarded on the Camino.

ennay, thx for recommend on Zenzah.Yay for making dinner when you wanted to eat out!

onebyone, kudos for persistence! It's a busy time of year!
Old 08-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #33  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

I messed up on my post, which then didn't post, and besides I was too distracted with the the big storm we were having. Looks like we'll be okay for a bit. I was going to sweep the water into the pool, but there was too much lightening and before long the pool was full from the rain. The street out front was running like a stream, but most of the water is gone from the street now. I wonder what the washes look like. There are flash flood warnings on the television. Unfortunately there are also black clouds to the west and I hope they don't come this way. We have had enough for one day. It is a little nerve wracking. So that's it for the weather news.

Yesterday was not a good food day for me. I don't even know how many calories I went over, but too many. Most of it good calories, but I just felt empty until after dinner. So far today I don't feel that way. I went to the Y first thing this morning and did 4 miles on the elliptical and 1 1/2 miles on the treadmill. I think if I can do that most days I won't have any problems with my 2000 challenge. Of course the 500 mile walk in Spain will help a lot. I did get my the amphipod yesterday in hot pink. I think it will work out great. I also ordered a small amount of Euros since I can't find any around from a previous trip.

The plan for the rest of the day is a couple of hours of housework. I am not too good at doing housework hours at a time, so I'll break it up a bit. The problem is the house looks just fine, but I know the floors and bathrooms need attention. And of course some dusting.

Lexxiss I'm glad you finished the roof, probably not as glad as you are though. Getting a haircut and mani/pedi is a nice treat for finishing your project.

Onebyone Being in the heat with a hot kiln doesn't sound like any fun. About this time of year I am just tired of always being warmer than I wish.

Maryann Glad to hear about your fun trip to Oregon. I still have nurse dreams, only they are nightmares. I dream I need to go back to work and then I'm usually working in the ICU (which I did for years) and it is the end of the shift and I have recorded no vital signs and given no meds. Always glad to wake up and know it didn't happen.

Bill What do you do with the lentils? Is it lentil soup? The amphipod link you put in the thread is exactly what I got. I have the one that is hot pink and I love it. The pouch holds quite a bit because it expands. It isn't water proof, but I'll use a quart size freezer zip lock bag to be sure things are safe from the wet.

Nature Girl Your river rafting trip sounds so fun. I am hoping to do the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon at some point. I think dh would like that too. My brother lives in Wenatchee and I lived in WA for 50 years, so I am always curious about Washington locales.

Nationalparker So exciting that you have your airline reservations made. I think 1/3 of the fun or a trip is the planning. We also got a good price on a rental car for the Labor Day weekend. We're going to WA for my mother in law's 86th birthday.

Last edited by karenrn; 08-05-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #34  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I am woefully behind on personals and aim to enjoy doing them tomorrow morning. I need to start in a notepad and then paste in so I don't lose them. It's getting darker much earlier now (well, compared to June), and I thought, oh, no, winter's on its way. Whoa Nellie, you're okay.

Food was okay today - scale at ticker - if only barely. Dinner was chicken mexican meatballs but the chicken was redder in the package and browner when cooked and I got it in my mind that it wasn't chicken and was a bit "off" on it. That with bean/onion/light cheese enchiladas and some rice. I checked the package of rice - it is 2.5 servings. I thought it was more. Anyway we ate 1/4 of it, so did well there between us.

Quiet evening here. DH got paperwork from the lawyer re: child support. I wanted to see it and tried to engage him in it but apparently it's none of my business and I am irritated about it. He just sealed one envelope and filed his copy away. I asked about it, etc., but it's like he doesn't hear me. Yet if I don't respond whenever he speaks...issue. I need to process this bc I'm letting it really get under my skin tonight.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Totally broke my rule about eating in the car today, but everything I ate was healthy and part of a planned or appropriate meal. Ended up driving down to my classroom (I commute 38 miles each way) and starting to sort it out – we will have kids on the 22nd – eek!!! So of course I forgot to take lunch and had to run to target & get Cheese, nuts & turkey and yogurt…too starved to wait until I got back to the classroom. Second half of lunch was on the way back to town for a PT appointment – no time to head home or go somewhere to “sit down”.

Two days in a row, I have picked up snacks at the Dollar Store, and purposely chosen things that looked healthy. WRONG! The “nut mix” had something that may have been nut gravel and many sesame lumps. The “Trail Mix” was all huge, sweet raisins and butterscotch? chips –sugary sweet and maybe three peanuts. So I’ve learned a lesson now, right? No more food from $1 Store!!!

Tomorrow will be tricky – all day in the big city first with one DD, then with my beloved 3 year old grandson. Looking forward to it but I need to PLAN and take some stuff with me, also. I think I will consider the day a success if I stay away from bakeries, ice cream, and booze. I’ll get strict again on Sunday a.m.

Karen- the river trips we are doing are just lazy river floats – fun but nothing like the Grand Canyon trip that’s on my bucket list, too.

BBE: It's good to report this stuff and know you all are keeping track and will notice our small victories. Today in the $1 Store I was so tempted to just grab a snickers bar but then I thought about having to report it here and decided (at least tried) to make a better choice.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #36  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Holy Roman Empire ends (Austria, 1806)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW to a brick-and-mortar store to buy a road map of Iceland. It was an awaking. The road around Iceland isn't a perfect major highway, and gas stations aren't unlimited on every corner. It's not a concern, but it'll be more an adventure than we had imagined.

Eating was OKish - a perfect evening on the patio having simple omelets. Four crows were loud in the big American Elm as if making clear that they knew that the tree wasn't long for this world. DW spotted a Great Blue Heron flying over so high that it could only be identified by the slow, graceful beat of its wings. Can't imagine where it was going and why it was flying so high.

onebyone – Ouch for that extreme heat - especially when you're heading off to fire up a kiln in it. I join you in not liking faux turrets on a house. A few decades ago I visited a friend in Texas whose house was built as a faux castle. I felt like Disneyland the whole visit.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats for finishing your roof in time to beat the rain. And Super Congrats that it doesn't leak. Kudos for taking the skin off a roasted chicken - that one is hard for me because that's where all the salt is, LOL.

Nature Girl – Ouch for the secrets in the products from the Dollar Store. Clear food is a challenge to find.

maryann - Understand that "that working my classroom is not exercise" but it does present the challenge that it's seriously tiring. Yay for DS understanding the language of Shakespeare.

nationalparker – Sending supportive thoughts for handling the sensitive subjects of a former marriage. It's easier to think of Italy.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for a good elliptical workout. [DW prepared these lentils thicker than soup, although we still eat them with a spoon.]

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#4: The Vegas Mind-Set Trap

To reinforce these messages, I asked Karen to consider how she wanted to feel when she got home. First I had her imagine that she had significantly overeaten on vacation and gained weight. As she visualized herself getting on the scale the morning after she arrived home, she saw herself feeling bloated and heavy and discouraged, as indeed she had felt after last year's vacation. Then I had her imagine that she had stayed in control and had gained at most only a pound or two. Now she felt lighter, proud, encouraged, and optimistic. She wrote another card:
I want to carry the good feelings of the vacation
with me when I go home. If I eat with abandon,
I'll feel bloated and heavy and discouraged. But
if I stay in control, I'll feel light and proud and
encouraged and optimistic. It will be so worth it
to stay in control.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 144
Old 08-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

New classroom is physically in "tip top" shape. That feels good. Next week, I will start the lesson planning process. Credit for a not taking this new position for granted. Most of the new teachers at the school have to share their rooms. This is a super bummer because you have to leave during your prep. Also, I only have two different classes to prep for. Most of the new teachers have three. Twenty five years of experience must have paid a few dues.

What I am struggling with is the "energy" that the new year brings. I get excited/hectic/compulsive about things and forget "first things first." A food plan goes out the window. I justify it by telling myself I am too busy. A plan of exercise in the evening never materialized because I was too exhausted. I loosen my healthy habits because I am discouraged that I had a whole summer to lose weight and I didn't drop on the scale in any significant way. Thank goodness I continue to post here. It is a tether. I would fly off into space and lose any sort of control over my weight during these periods if I wasn't accountable here.

I agree with gardenerjoy and Lexiss - food patterns are the key for me. If I get into a routine of a limited variety of healthy meals I lose. I have a frig at school, I can prep plan the same meal for several days and make it a "no choice". Monday I declare "no sweets at work" goes back into practice. I will weigh in this morning ( gulp) and go to the gym first thing.

On another note: I was excited about watching opening Rio ceremonies with DS. But it was outrageous how NBC destroyed the broadcast with a commercial EVERY 5 MINUTES ( no exaggeration, I timed it.) I gave up after twenty minutes. So frustrating.

Last edited by maryann; 08-06-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #38  

Good morning coaches,

Credit for staying within calories yesterday, although just barely. Credit for going to the gym this morning. I got my 5 1/2 miles in and I think that makes 6 days in a row at the gym. I'm going to try to just keep going daily as none of the workouts are near as much work/exercise as backpacking and I need to be ready for the Camino.

Looks like we won't have any monsoon activity for a while now. As much as I enjoy the storms, yesterday's was almost too much excitement. One of my friends said she thought that was the worst one she's seen since moving here in 1998. I've been here since 2005 and it was right up there for me too.

Maryann I'm glad the classroom has come together. Remember to keep yourself at the top of the list of your priorities because as we know, no one else can do that for you. Self-care is so important! Food patterns work for me too. I alternate only a few things for breakfast, lunch and actually even dinner. Luckily my husband doesn't mind a bit. As long as I feed him, he's good.

Bill I know so little about Iceland. I guess I had better do a little research for your trip.

Nature Girl Lazy river trips sound excellent. The only river rafting trip I have done was 8 days on the Sun Kosi river in Nepal. It was thrilling. One boat capsized, but luckily it was not the boat I was in. Everyone was fine. We had 3 kayakers that went ahead and shot the rapids to let the captains? know which way to run the rapids. They would hold their oar up to signify right, middle or left. I would never have done it, but it was only $550 tacked on to my trekking trip. I'll never forget it.

Nationalparker You are so creative with your meal planning. I admire that, but I'm too lazy to do it even though I actually love to cook. I swear right now that when I get back from Spain I will spend some time learning and making some new delicious recipes. Bummer about the child support and the lack of communication with dh. It's really hard to let go of stuff like that especially when it effects your finances.

Okay, time to get cleaned up and get a few groceries in the house. Waving to everyone else!

Last edited by karenrn; 08-06-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:54 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Great Train Robbery (England, 1963)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was successful in my plan to remove all fixtures from the bathroom in preparation for the vinyl installer on Tuesday. I was impressed because I had to turn the water back on which meant that I had to cap all pipes that I'd disconnected. Plumbing work is hard on the body; I was exhausted just from getting up and down all day. Yay for getting something done.

Eating was good since I was busy. At one point I didn't have the information that I needed so decided to take a trip to Home Depot. Then realized that going to Home Depot was fun but what I really needed to do was research online. That worked. Yay for google and Youtube.

maryann - Yep, "because I was too exhausted" is a challenge for planning. Congrats for getting your room in shape for the school year.

Karen (karenrn) - Continue to be impressed with Arizona's strange rains. Kudos for continuing your workouts so you'll be in great shape for the Camino.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Vegas Mind-Set Trap

We tend to look at vacation as the "no-rule zone" - but every single extra calorie you eat comes back with you as a souvenir. And when you focus on the positive consequences of sticking to your plan, you can prevent a sense of vacation deprivation.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 144
Old 08-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #40  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Forgot to check in yesterday - and though it was unrelated, we definitely had a SPLURGE day. Jokingly I called it DH's half-birthday and I was taking him for what I'd heard was the best ice cream in the city. The best that an ice-cream loving coworker had ever had in his life, he said. "A game-changer!" well ... I thought we'd get that for lunch - hear me out - fruit, dairy, right? Well, we got there and he was surprised but then saw this uber-thin crust pizza place down the street that he'd wanted to have again after trying from a food truck. So did that for lunch and I had half of a personal cheese - the crust is thinner than a ritz cracker. Anyway, that was not a calorie-hit but the small serving of ice cream - one scoop - was HUGE. No one was ahead of us and typically I'll eyeball everyone else's and get kiddie, small, whatever seems an appropriate portion. This one was about a half pint. I found it online and guessed that I had about a cup and a half (?) and that's close to 900 calories. Tried to rescue the day but it was just a splurge all-around. I will buckle down the rest of this week and pretend I'm on ww and used my flex points for that day.

Got up and got cleaning right away today - we're heading to his folks (1.5 hours away) and I am picking up a cookie cake for his dad's belated birthday. That is easy and we'll leave it there, so double bonus. We'll eat at 4 and are bringing salad and yes, pizza, from their fave place there, but I can ace this today - the salad is delish and my main meal will be that and just a couple of 2" squares and I'll be all set. Have been sweaty cleaning for 2.5 hours this morning and feels good to see things moving along finally here.

Bill - Credits for tackling that plumbing job!! Between you and Lexxiss, you should turn houses I could help just being the one who organizes who shows up when haha.

Karen - Kudos for your gym commitment and follow through! I can honestly say I would have weenied out of the rafting trip. I signed us up for one in Glacier and it was to be a sightseeing one. No one else signed up so they transferred us to the white water one and I balked and told DH to go ahead ... No, not if you don't, etc. Which I HATE bc it makes me out to be the bad guy. The organizers were like we haven't lost anyone out of a boat yet this year. I'm like you just STARTED a couple of weeks ago A six-year old did it, they told me. Really? I know a six-year old who jumped off a roof but I'm not doing that either. Anyway, I relented and went and had a good time. The guide put me next to him to tell me when to drop to the bottom of the boat on a few rapids but others I was paddling away and had a good time. I was so nervous right before, though.

Maryann - I'm not a particularly religious person, much more of a spiritual one despite being raised strict Catholic for two decades... but I'm definitely going to wing some prayers up to the heavens that the children who luck out with you as their teacher appreciate their luck and thrive in your presence. Own your gifts to the world.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

It was a nice day yesterday. DS and I took it easy. I got a walk in and did all my PT exercises. I got my hair done and then took DS to a facial. He has the onset of acne and I wanted him to develop good habits before there was a big problem. He does a good job with sunscreen and face washing. He is so willing and open to anything -especially compared to most 14 yo boys. The facial therapist remarked on it as well. Then time spent weekly shopping. I was still beat by the time I came home. I certainly do NOT have my full time teaching muscles up and running. I am really going to have to cut down on activities during the weekends.

Ta Da!!!! I received my new pressure cooker, read the book and produced mash potatoes in 8 mins with fat free milk and light butter. They were delish according to the boys. Much less clean up and I can easily keep them warm on the stove waiting for DH to come home. Next up - a one pot quick homemade chicken noodle soup.

Karen: I love cooking as well. I would like to take class one day. The truth though is I do better on my diet plan if I stay out of the kitchen. This however is not an option with a ravenous 14 year old. I am hoping for more balance. At least there is no junk food to tempt me. DS has never had any so he doesn't expect any.

BBE: Has anyone asked? What was the thought process that selected Iceland. it has always seem very mysterious to me.

nationalparker: Your wonderful words touched me. Thank you. I hope I help the kids. I have lots of ideas to help them with their writing. I am determined everyone will improve even the ones who hate writing. I picture my husband in the class. He had an undiagnosed learning disability and hates everything to do with English. I want to structure the class so even a kid like him came embrace language.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Too tired last night to even lift my hand to the keyboard, or actually even check my email or facebook. A very good day with my family, but 300 miles round trip, leaving at 7 am and home at 8:30 pm. Some emotion involved too, because part of the day was taking care of my GS while his mom went to her grandmother’s ‘celebration of life’. I haven’t been part of that family for 30 years, but still…

Food was ok – looking at my boundaries from Friday, I stayed away from alcohol totally, had a tiny bit of ice cream in the form of a milkshake as part of a bribe for GS, and had most of a pretty spectacular biscuit midday. Other than that, pretty good. And plenty of walking while DD#2 & I visited the university she will transfer to in September. Activity on the beach also when we took GS to play in the sand and the waves.

So today it’s nearly 11 and I haven’t left the kitchen table –first breakfast, then some busy work I brought home from my classroom, now computer catch-up. While I’m sitting here I will write down a plan for the rest of the day, and factor in the oatmeal I had for breakfast. And if the wind settles down, I have a bike ride planned. ( I want to take note of the fact that I changed should to will in that sentence about writing a plan!!)
Maryann, I know what you mean about full time teaching muscles – those first couple weeks are gonna KILL me!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #43  
Green Tomatoes

I had a bit of a breakthrough this morning. I found myself asking the familiar "why" questions. Why do I keep getting on Facebook? Why do I pick on scabs until they bleed again? Why do I overeat? I've asked each of these questions for at least a decade, some for many decades.

The fantasy of the "why" question is that I'll come up with an answer and that it will miraculously fix all of my problems. But, if it hasn't happened yet, it probably isn't going to. I'm probably never going to come up with a more satisfying answer to "why?" than "because I do."

So, that tells me it's the wrong question to ask.

Here's a better one: "How can I do less of the things that cause harm and more of the things that promote healing?" So far, in working with that question, I've discovered that it immediately bumps me out of my tendency toward all-or-nothing thinking. I'm making a Response card with my new "how" question.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #44  

Good morning coaches,

I guess I jinxed myself by saying I would go to the gym every day. Today I decided to take the day off. I spent a couple hours ironing, did a few things around the house and then arranged for a rental car for our next trip and medical and evacuation insurance for the Camino trip.

There was a reference to SquareMouth on the Camino FB page. I input my information and then they came up with a number of different insurance plans to compare with their ratings and costs. It was very easy and hopefully it will be just fine. It's just in case of an emergency. I want to be sure I can be jetted home, or get care there if it's not emergent.

We'll go in the pool for a short bit this afternoon and we're meeting friends for an early dinner. They are good friends. I worked with him in Washington, but they are both retired and have been gone almost all summer. They are home until the day we return from CT and then are leaving for Hawaii until 9/9, so I won't see them again. I'm glad they will be home most of the time I'm gone to Spain. My guy friend is a retired physicians assistant and is one of our medical power of attorneys. I really would count on him if anything happened to dh in my absence, not that I wouldn't fly home instantly, but even for a day or two.

Personals tomorrow. I hope you all are enjoying the weekend!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Thomas Edison patents the mimeograph machine (1876)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Skipped our standard Sunday walk in order to meet our painter who wanted to scope the job. He started that very afternoon since the rough patches to the walls need to dry 24 hours before the second patch coat. New materials make sanding the wall patching compound easier - it's done with a sponge so there's no white dust everywhere. Yay for progress in building materials.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to a local hardware store to buy one single self-tapping sheet metal screw. At 17 cents, I bought two since every single time I've only had one screw it got bent or stripped. I loved having a 17 cent guarantee that it'd work perfectly. It did. Yay for knowing just what I needed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat thinking process to expose how easily we fall into "all-or-nothing thinking."

Nature Girl – Big Kudos for changing "should to will" in planning to do your plan. Sounds like a full day with DGS.

maryann - Love the progress with your new pressure cooker. May there be more. [Iceland is on the Bucket List and its time just came. We had been thinking of the American Southwest but temperatures out there are unappealing in the summer.]

nationalparker – Ouch for ice cream declared so good that it's "A game-changer!" Kudos for planning the meal at your FIL's that will be on plan.

Karen (karenrn) - I'm impressed with your thorough planning for emergencies.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Vegas Mind-Set Trap
  • Make a list of the advantages and disadvantages of eating whatever you want versus the advantages and disadvantages of staying in control during your vacation.
. . .
Closed Thread