3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/310285-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-july-2016-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 07-01-2016 05:17 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

BillBlueEyes 07-01-2016 05:18 AM

Friday - Canada (Dominion) Day (1867)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, found two more electric vehicles within a few blocks of my house. One, in a pricey neighborhood, was a tiny Smart that only seats two people. So there are three nearby that were here before I bought mine that I hadn't noticed.

By a twist of fate, a buddy needed to park in my driveway for the day. Fine. He arrived with a box of three pastries from Panera Bread. Big CREDIT moi that I didn't jump on them immediately since I'd already had breakfast. Luckily, DW spotted them at 4 pm when looking for a snack since, gardener her, she'd skipped lunch with her hands in the dirt. She took half of each. That means that I face a quantity that I can absorb for breakfast this morning.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – A Porsche convertible is a nice mid-life crisis car. When you get old enough, you can get a Porsche Boxter Spyder for yourself. Kudos for minding the food.

maryann - Yay for cousins. Kudos for dropping the hamburger bun when the points weren't there.

nationalparker – My dream: Breakfast in a large white wicker chair on my porch overlooking the cliffs of the Atlantic shore. Sigh, we don't own wicker chairs, much less a shore house with a porch. Hope you enjoy breakfast.

ennay - Theatre work sounds like great exercise. Are you an electrician?

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 6 Family Traps

#1: The 24/7 Treat Trap

She [Kate] and her husband loved trying new restaurants both alone and with their boys. "It's getting pretty ridiculous, though," she said. "We're eating out nearly every night, and I always eat too much. I keep trying to get myself to order food that's healthier and lower in calories - but then I just don't follow through. Or if I do, I eat everything on my plate plus bread and dessert. It's just too much."

I asked her what thoughts went through her mind the last time she was at a restaurant and ordered something she later regretted. "Well," she replied, "something like 'I know I should get a salad, but I'm really hungry.'"

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 130

Lexxiss 07-01-2016 07:03 AM

Hi coaches!

As planned, I had my work lunch right out of the lunchbox yesterday. It was pretty good! Emotionally, I was a little high on the frustration factor. My yard helper didn't show so I had to do everything myself, and I found out that the reason they didn't pick up my four dumpsters out front was because I had not had it out before 8 AM when they came by. Usually they don't show till after 11. I decided to do all my chores in Denver late in the afternoon since I have the carpet cleaner coming today and everything took way longer than necessary. I did, however, ignore all the great-looking pastries at both Costco and Whole Foods which were calling my name. Credit. I came home, instead, with brown rice sushi as a treat. Would have been great except I had a second evening stack. Today I have another trip to Denver which should be far simpler since I basically got everything out of the way yesterday.

Today I've got lots of spontaneous exercise, again. Moving my furniture out of three rooms before 830, fortunately I don't have to move the bed. and I have two vehicles to unload. One still has work supplies from the last project and yesterday I did a stock up on cat and dog food as well as other groceries.

ennay, I find all the miscellaneous chores and exercise difficult to figure out how to track. Sometimes the best thing I can do is give myself lots of credit for much accomplished. LOL.

BBE, quite an interesting Porsche. I had to read all the way to the end to find out it would only set me back $90,000. My friend has two and I don't believe either were midlife crisis cars. The 941 she bought new when she was 28 years old. It's in the shop being restored right now. It originally probably cost less than your Leaf. The Carrera, which is the vehicle we took, is pretty classic. I guess I'm a progressive. I like power steering.

Ok, back to furniture moving.

ennay 07-01-2016 10:51 AM

BBE - no not an electrician, just a theatre nerd. I'm the business manager of a community theatre. Which means you become jack of all trades.

Lexxiss Good luck with all you have to do. I think one day of that would make me nap for a week!

Looking forward to this weekend. Should be busy. Already feeling some stress about my mother's visit next week.

maryann 07-01-2016 12:01 PM

Phone check in

Moving from Santa Clarita into the heart of LA and through to Orange County. Credit to myself for continuing to track. DH is flying in with forgotten bag tomorrow. It has my scale. No matter the number, I have been successful. I plan to swim as exercise and end fun with my boy. SIL has a pool. Spontaneous exercise is holding g-nephew who is 9mo😄

nationalparker 07-01-2016 10:47 PM

A good day - food was within reason even the bbq dinner. We'd planned to go out to dinner and the cheap theatres south of town, but then since the day was nearly Camelot-like, we stayed home and enjoyed the perfect weather and super quiet neighborhood.

Bill - I like your dream breakfast spot. Maybe pop on some ocean surf sounds and sit on a different cushion on the porch and just picture your shore at breakfast. :) DH surprised me by putting on some "dinner music" on Pandora tonight that was nearly all Rat Pack. I was a happy dining companion. Why the cranky face for Canada Day? Do I need to know something I don't? I'm not "up" on world history stuff...)

Scale back at ticker this morning - not sure WHY but accepting the small grace.

Maryann - Thank you for the reminder that buns are not a necessary part of a meal. I skipped mine with my turkey burger at home tonight (and had to answer DH's questions why, but ...stayed firm). Much appreciated and echoing Bill's bun bravo on that.

BillBlueEyes 07-02-2016 06:30 AM

Saturday - Amelia Earhart disappears (Marshall Islands, 1937)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was walking the miles within Home Depot getting the parts to replace an outside freeze-proof spigot. It's harder than I wish it were because the spot in the basement is nearly inaccessible and too close to tinder-box wood to be safe for a propane torch. I'm going to try my first attempt to use Shark-bite connectors. I'm going back this morning for one-more-item.

Breakfast did consist of the Panera Bread pastries that my buddy gave me. I had half of them, thanks to DW who claimed the other half. Dinner on the patio was ever so nice - it's hard to not keep saying that. DW sautéed some Sugar Snaps that were too tough to eat raw; they came out super good.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for ignoring pastries at Costco and Whole Foods. Neat to use furniture for lifting exercise.

maryann - Yay for the amount of exercise that a 9 month old creates.

nationalparker – Love the notion of a " nearly Camelot-like" day.[Thanks for spotting the :mad: in the title. I changed it to the standard. That was a typo - Canada Day is a super positive event.]

ennay - Pre-stressed concrete is stronger, so that might also work for a mother's visit. Have a happy weekend being busy.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 6 Family Traps

"When was the last time you left a restaurant feeling hungry?" I asked.

She thought for a moment. "That's a good question. I don't leave hungry - even when I have a salad, because I order one with protein. Plus, I always have a piece of bread or roll with butter, too." She stopped to think. "You know, I really do like salads, and I guess they do always fill me up. They just don't seem as appealing when I'm looking at all the other choices."

I asked her another question. "Has there ever been a time when you ordered a salad and once the meal was over, you thought to yourself, 'I regret eating that. I wish I and something more fattening'?"

"No, definitely not," she said. "I always feel good after eating something healthy."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 130

Lexxiss 07-02-2016 07:51 AM

Hi Coaches!

I finally got up to the big computer to post and the batteries are dead on my mouse. Went downstairs to get more batteries and only one is left. I need two. Fortunately, I have the touch screen although it's not as user friendly. Speaking of "mouse" I seem to have an explosion of mice in my downstairs. I caught 3 this Winter and when I saw one recently I put the trap back out. I've caught 9 or 10 plus 3 babies, 4 adults in the last 24 hrs. Arg. I don't like killing creatures but we can all identify (I'm sure) with the reality of this situation.

Food was acceptable yesterday. I didn't have the usual smoothie because it was pretty inconvenient due to carpet cleaning. I did make a more instant protein drink before I left for Denver sticking to my rule of never leaving home without breakfast. Credit. Sweets were still calling but I passed the Danish bakery and read the calories of items at the next store. (wow!) I settled on opening the jar of my sister's peach preserve that I've been saving and had some jam with crackers. It was tasty.

Now, I'm thinking of "today". What's for lunch and what's for dinner?? OK, I have a plan. The plan always helps.

BBE, what color is your Leaf? I saw a lime green, kind of sparkly, I liked it. Kudos for putting off the pastries for a day. Such a great strategy.

nationalparker, what a nice evening and glad the scale was cooperative.

MaryAnn, neat to get your forgotten luggage but great to acknowledge success even without a number.

ennay, how long is your mother staying?

Ok, off to a yard project before I head back to one of the busiest weeks at work. I had good news last night since I work the separate room at the far end of the restaurant; the refrigerator finally got fixed. It's been off line for over a year now necessitating many extra trips each Sunday. I do like spontaneous exercise but not on busy Sunday's when time is so critical and exercise is already more than sufficient.

ennay 07-02-2016 12:24 PM

BBE pre-stressed concrete - love it!

Lexxiss a week.

Her visits have always been tough - she is hyper-critical, but more since her stroke. She needs help to do things, but not as much help as she often demands if you know what I mean. It all depends on what kind of mood she is in. Sometimes she will do for herself and be patient. Other times she will get upset if I leave for an hour to go workout or grocery shop, or god forbid, work. I'm not leaving her alone, I have a very responsible 12 year old who can help with most things, she just needs to be ok with not showering/dressing during that one hour. It is a delicate game. If I go before she gets up, she is upset that I wasnt there to help her first thing, if I wait, she wont want to get dressed or eat until I say I will be leaving, even if I give her a warning. I usually have to get dressed and say I am leaving NOW when I really want to leave in an hour so she can win.

I do need to get on meal planning for the week, she has different tastes than we do, so I need to change what I usually cook.

Yesterday, weighed and logged, ate on plan, worked out. credit, the family got home late and ordered mexican takeout after I was done eating for the day. did not eat mexican takeout. credit the family left me home all day alone with half of a marionberry pie. Only had a teeny bit - two bites. Scale still being a little brat (clearly the scale is the one with the problem).

karenrn 07-02-2016 07:22 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

It was a great week visiting my cousin in California and camping for 3 nights in the Mineral King area of Sequoia. We have had a get togethers with camping for four years in a row now. Her husband is retired now and she is a school teacher. My cousin lives in Woodlake and it takes between 8 and 9 hours to drive there; a long day. I arrived Monday mid afternoon. Tuesday, my cousin, her husband and I went to Mineral King and camped. They pack up enough for an army and are horribly unorganized. There is no ultralight concept in their minds. I had my own car camping tent and everything I needed, but they brought most of the food (at least double what we needed). I love them dearly and we had a great time. I am getting better at trying to stay relaxed and realizing we just don't all do things the same way. I'm sure they would think my husband and I are minimalists although we are far from it.

The first day it was cool enough we needed jackets on and it even sprinkled a little. The next three days were beautiful, but it probably barely reached 80, if that. I hiked to Monarch Lake the second day and Paul and I hiked to Eagle Lake the third day. If I lived near there I would be up in those mountains at least a couple of times a month to camp and hike.

I have no idea how I did food wise, but I will get on the scale by Monday at the latest. I didn't pig out by any means, but I did have a couple of beers each day and some snacks.

I look forward to the day my husband is retired. He would love the hiking and I think he would tolerate camping at least for a couple of days.

I'll get to personals tomorrow. Happy 4th of July weekend!

nationalparker 07-03-2016 12:45 AM

Nothing really to note today except the scale bumped up again two pounds. I can tell it's trying to get in my head and I'm not falling for that. Good day with cleaning, laundry, dinner out at a new to us Thai restaurant, and movie Nice Guys. Ate less than one third of my meal because it was so generous. Ordered it hot for spicy level and it was perfect.I did, though, have two squares of dark choc for 100 calories late tonight.
Rain moving in for two days.
Welcome back, Karen! More tomorrow!

BillBlueEyes 07-03-2016 06:17 AM

Sunday - Samuel de Champlain founded the city of Quebec (1608)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – More exercise at Home Depot. I went back for one-more-item and got confident, expert-sounding advise to pick the exact part. When I got home and studied the Shark-bite instructions, that part wouldn't work. Another trip, another part. I took a break to do other stuff. I'll continue later this weekend when DW can be outside holding the faucet while I'm inside.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included meandering through a hardware store that had a patio umbrella on sale. I asked them if a dark green was available. It was. So, walked back home, got DW to come back with me in my Leaf. She approved the color, delighted that we'd replace the aging umbrella that's faded beyond acceptable appearance and takes two of us to raise due to sticking parts. The old one is now on the curb marked FREE and we had dinner on the patio under our new one. It's enough bigger so that we could actually sit at our table in a light rain.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for mice that come in groups. Neat that you've got your fridge back at work. [I've got the Ocean Blue Nissan Leaf - it stands out.]

nationalparker"Hot and spicy" is a great way to make sure we are tasting our food.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at camping with folks who don't do light. The views around Mineral King are striking.

ennay - Kudos for "did not eat mexican takeout" even while your family was indulging. Sending supportive thoughts for dealing with your Mom's post-stroke behaviors.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 6 Family Traps

Kate decided that she would make it a firm policy to look at the online menu ahead of time and decide in advance what she was going to order. She could order anything she wanted, though she would have to restrict portion sizes for dishes that were higher in calories.

I could tell she was really thinking. "I have a feeling I'll still struggle then I hear about the daily specials," she said, her forehead furrowed. "That's usually the exact moment when I tell myself, 'That sounds much better.' What I had planned to eat just doesn't seem as special."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 131

karenrn 07-03-2016 02:08 PM

Good morning for the second time,

I wrote a note earlier and then didn't hit the correct key obviously, because my note is not there. I'll retype what I remember.

After waking up at 1:40 a.m. yesterday, leaving CA at 4:25 a.m. and driving over 8 hours I was pooped last night. Went to bed before 8 and slept until 5 this morning. Today I feel great. It's amazing what a good nights sleep will do for a gal. It's great to be home and back to my regular routine. No matter how much I love a good get away, I am always happy to get back home. This week I have a one night get away to Flagstaff on Wednesday and hike up Mt. Humphrey's on Thursday the short way. I think it's about 8 miles round trip.

I hosed off my tarp so it's clean for the next trip and I've gone to 3 stores for grocery shopping. I love the Spicy peanut vinaigrette salad dressing from Trader Joe's. It probably sounds weird, but I like it on cole slaw style cabbage with cut up chicken in it. The fridge was pretty bare when I returned because as usual dh will eat whatever he can find here rather than go to the store.

Bill We're lucky that Home Depot is only a mile from our home. It makes it easy for those multiple trip projects. Glad you found a new dark green umbrella. My cousin has 6 or 7 of them in her back patio. They don't have one of anything.

Nationalparker What is port playing? I got that you ate less than 1/3 of your meal but could not figure out port playing.

Ennay Sending patience your way for your Mom's visit. My Mom had a small stroke once and even though she recovered fully physically, she would get frustrated more easily and some cognitive things were a little off.

Lexxiss I do swear you get ten times more done in a day than I ever even think I could do. The peach preserves sound wonderful, better than most sweets in my book.

Maryann I hope you're continuing to have a good trip. Because we camped at high elevation, the temperatures were great. Not so much when we got back to Woodlake, but that's okay.

Waving to everyone else. Enjoy the long weekend, those of you that get one.

nationalparker 07-03-2016 06:57 PM

A completely socked-in, rainy day from start to now. Tomorrow is expected to be the same, so fireworks are getting ppd and called off. We called a lazy, reading/movie day today, which we never really do, and have enjoyed it. I chose, and put on Valley Uprising - very interesting. Recommend it but ample f-bombs by the climbers. Pooch has been making the most of her time next to me on a throw on the couch. She'll hate me tomorrow if I get a chance to trim and bathe her.

Karen - I have NO idea what my autocorrect was correcting, maybe weeding?! It was late and I just popped in the note and didn't review it!

Bill - Kudos on the good umbrella deal! I love the option on dining under one!

Credits to me for deciding that I'd wait to reheat my Thai dinner until both DH and I would be eating it, so he had his leftovers and I had green beans and heated up some of my leftover pasta...decided it wasn't GREAT and tossed it out. So prepped small slices of baguette toasts with turkey bacon and split a slice of cheese among all. We'll have the Thai tomorrow and it's ample for two add'l meals. Nice to find a new restaurant locally owned. The service was just exceedingly attentive. I had to laugh when they checked to see if our meal was "still good?" three times. THREE. So that means they checked on us four times during our brief meal.

BillBlueEyes 07-04-2016 06:41 AM

Monday - US Declaration of Independence signed (Philadelphia, 1776)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Completed installing the new outside faucet. CREDIT moi for finishing a simple job made complex, as usual, by the unexpected. When I finally assembled all the correct parts, the remaining tasks only took 15 minutes. That 15 minutes was my initial estimate for the whole job. I'm a slow learner. DW is delighted; she immediately hooked up the sprinkler because Massachusetts has decided to quit accepting rain, LOL.

Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. Food was OKish, CREDIT moi. Dinner was white bean salad on the patio under the new umbrella. We saw the 3-D version of The BFG. We absolutely loved Mark Rylance as the BFG and were delighted with Penelope Wilton (from Downton Abbey) as Queen Elizabeth II. Roald Dahl retains the special place in my brain that thinks him weird. 3-D didn't seem to add anything, so I'd recommend seeing it without.

nationalparker – Congrats for finding a good, local Thai restaurant. LOL at "still good?"

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a good night's sleep after an ambitious trip.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 6 Family Traps

I could absolutely see how that thought might undermine her resolve. But I knew that with the number of times they were eating out right now, she couldn't order something "special" each time, eat the whole meal, and still lose weight - or even maintain her weight. "You could give yourself a choice," I said. "You could decide at the last minute to have one of the special dishes or go with your original choice. But if you order a higher-calorie special, you won't be able to eat as much of it as you'd like. I wonder if it might be better, just for now, to avoid ordering the specials. Once you've gotten really good at other restaurant skills, we can work on spontaneous ordering." Kate agreed.

To help her recognize that eating out could still be special, we identified other aspects of the experience that were different and enjoyable, aside from the food:
  • Spending time with family

• Having someone else do the cooking and serving

• Not having to do dishes

• Going to a new place to eat

• Getting to admire the decor

• People-watching
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 131