Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Hi, onebyone and everyone! I'm reading and even eating reasonably well.

We still haven't broken what's a bad habit for me -- shopping nearly every day for a supper that's not planned until late afternoon. I do much better when I shop once or twice a week for suppers that are planned up to a week in advance. But, that's not where we are right now so I'm adjusting. I'm not quite sure what shakes us back to my normal -- possibly, my insistence that we do so, but I'm not that good at insistence.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #62  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Hi everyone!

Well, I fell apart during the end of my mom's visit. Yesterday was particularly bad. I normally don't eat early, but I woke up super early then had to drive her to the airport at rush hour. Where I live I have to go through rush hour both to and from the airport as Portland is in the middle. After I dropped her off ds and I stopped at a starbucks to wait out the return rush hour and I got a scone - I was already in that sabotage mode. Then halfway through I got a call that a friend I hadn't seen in 30 years was going to be in Portland and could we meet for lunch at 11:30 so I had to go back through rush hour back home to get dd and then go right back in to Portland for lunch. So essentially 5 hours in the car and 2 meals later I came home fried, emotionally wrung out from my mom's visit and spent most of the rest of the day eating.

I didn't weigh this morning, not out of avoidance, I just got out of the habit while my mom was here and forgot until I was 2 cups of coffee in. I will head to the gym soon although I think I still will not be able to squat.

So I dont really know how I injured myself. On the 4th of July I was playing catch with ds and the very first catch my wrist had shooting pains, but I think I must have strained it first to make that happen . Then Friday(?) my hip was really sore like I had strained the hip flexor, but I dont remember doing anything to it. I havent been able to run or squat and even walking was really hard. Both are still tender, so I will see what I can do without making things worse.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #63  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, to steal Maryann's line, the sound of trumpets heard today was the fact that I had a 100% OP day. So far. I will enjoy a cup of tea here in a bit as storms roll through a several waves tonight. I am a nervous storm endurer. DH is a storm-lover. We just don't see eye-to-eye. Half the time I'm clasping the back of his shirt as he tries to go outside for a "closer look". Ugh.

We chose to eat the lasagna rolls for dinner instead of going out - each having just one and a lot of veggies. I want to spend some time tonight doing another run-through on the pantry and fridge/freezer to come up with a few more meal ideas.

Heading out to lunch with my former boss and a coworker tomorrow to a local Mexican spot. His mother passed away yesterday and I've been in touch with him each day for the past couple of weeks as he's faced it as her health deteriorated.

As we continue our dreaming of retiring before we hit 65-67, I'd discovered a blog called Frugalwoods and really like today's post. Buying and buying more stuff isn't the basis of happiness. I want to also think along the lines of food doesn't = happiness either.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #64  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I almost forgot to check in. Good day today. Went to the Y early and then did some housework. Dh is home this afternoon because tomorrow is his colonoscopy. Although he has no symptoms at all and this is routine (it has been 10 years), he is a bit nervous because he had prostate cancer 5 1/2 years ago. Prostate cancer does not metastasize to the colon, but it's just the idea he had a problem before when he had no idea. He has been just fine since. I am looking forward to celebrating tomorrow after we learn he is fine.

Nationalparker I took a quick look at Frugalwoods and will look more later. They are hikers! And congratulations on a super day today.

I'll write a better note tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #65  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Revolutionaries storm Bastille (Paris, 1789)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The dental hygienist said that my flossing was my best ever, CREDIT moi. I feel like a little kid getting a gold star. Or being reminded of receiving in the fourth grade the award for "Most improved handwriting."

Spent all free time doing errands. Ugh! At least I'm reducing my to-do list before the crunch time of September. I've scheduled an evaluation with a solar panel guy for today. I'm convinced that my roof is too convoluted to make use of panels, but the rep pulled up a google-earth picture of my house and thinks a smaller unit will fit. The evaluation is free. The roof shingles might need to be replaced first. And a 30 year old error in the edge fixed at the same time. And maybe remove the brick chimney that's covered over because it's no longer used and blocking solar panel space. The hip bone is connected to the thigh bone . . .

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I know about "I'm not that good at insistence" - would like to be able to just will my way forward.

maryann - Kudos for all that biking exercise.

nationalparker – Trumpets indeed for a "100% OP day." I like the attitude of your Frugalwoods blog. I wish my desire to own more would dissipate.

Karen (karenrn) - Sending supportive thoughts to your DH for the day before his colonoscopy - that awful day.

ennay - Congrats for surviving your mom's visit, even if it ended with a hard landing.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#2: The Cleanup Crew Trap

With these strategies in place, Kate was finally able to follow her plan, and it made a big difference in both her weight and her confidence. She was no longer stressed or worried about how she would handle restaurant meals; she love knowing that she could eat out and stay in control. "I still look at the boys' french fries and think they look good, but I just know I'm not having any of theirs. I've stopped struggling. It's really a great relief!"

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 135
Old 07-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Thought I would post a picture of the triumphant, 20 year old Hawaiian dress. Good picture of DH as well. I am lucky to still have him. Lucky to have stuck with this journey of weight loss in order to maintain my 50 pound weight loss. Lucky to still be sober. Lucky to still love teaching. On and on. Who would have thought success can be defined as so many things remaining the exact same after twenty years?

But on I trudge. With scale slightly up even though I continue to track. Hmmmm. I am just not moving enough this vacation. I have lots of errands and PT today. Maybe that will help. Meal replacement for lunch and no Sees candy at the mall.

Halfway through my first Terry Pratchett book "The Color of Magic." How could I have never hear from him - the number one selling author of great Britain? it proves what I always say "You can fill an ocean with what I don't know."

ennay: Family contact is always my biggest derailer. That is why Beck spends so much time on it in her books. Be kind to yourself. This is a long race.
nationalparker: I heard those trumpets.

Last edited by maryann; 07-14-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #67  

Good afternoon coaches,

This will be a quick check in. Home from dh's colonoscopy which went fine. He doesn't need to go back for 10 years, but he is so uncomfortable from the gas. He's lying down now, but I hope to get him up and walking before too long. I think that will help more than lying in bed.

I went to my class at the Y this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it, which I always do. I met a new gal who is a hiker and we exchanged phone numbers. It's too hot right not, but it's always good to have another hiking buddy. Food on plan so far, but I think I might have a beer to celebrate the colonoscopy results. I was expecting them to be fine, but I've been caught off guard before, so I admit I am relieved.

More tomorrow, when dh is back to work where he should be.

Last edited by karenrn; 07-14-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #68  
Enjoying la bella vita

A good day, again. I'm calling it 100% on program again, despite big lunch because I balanced that with uber light dinner - which so far has just been hot tea because I wasn't HUNGRY and DH and I were working on a computer project. But I keep thinking of what can I eat, what can I eat... only because I never skip a meal. This will be my hunger experiment in a way

Bill - I wish I were better at letting go of some items, like dishes. I pulled two medium bowls used for side dish servings that my Mom gave me - nothing special. I went to put them in Goodwill ... then set them on the table. Pulled some chocolate brown plates from Ikea to set with them, some pretty napkins, secondary plates, and all of a sudden I decided i couldn't pass them on yet - the setting was too pretty. HA. SHEESH. DH said oh well, just keep your dishes.

Maryann - Thanks for including the photo! Fun - cool! I have errands tomorrow but am committed to setting aside time to journal and "be" ... not worrying about what needs to be done. I don't do that often enough.

Karen - Good news on DH's test! You seem like the type of person who will always meet/be an interesting friend!

Cutting short to enjoy the rest of the evening!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #69  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up commiting to paper still working

Coaches

Had my presentation run through this afternoon. I need to memorize my 2 minutes so I'll work on that, and I need to tweak one slide but the content is good. She said she was impressed.

Phew.

Since the content is good this gives me a master plan for my business plan to follow. Still lots to do tomorrow, all day and into the night, but I feel confident I can make it work even if some of my numbers get a bit fuzzy.

Foodwise the scale dropped to 267.9, which is good. I committed my food to paper and to a friend this morning and noted my deviations which were few and immediately corrected because I didn't want to explain myself and wanted to continue being totally honest with myself.

Of particular note: my sister really challenged me and deliberately pointed out to me a loss of opportunity on my part not to capitalize on an gallery where she says I should just go and demand a show, She says my lack of self esteem is really showing.She also says she will keep bringing it up. Oh good, I said.
I didn't eat over it though.
credit for a good day full of powerful emotions not buried by food,
Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Rembrandt van Rijn born (Dutch Republic, 1606)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, despite the threat of rain. It threatened the whole outing - but nothing fell. At one point I was elated to feel actual rain, but then noticed that I'd walked into an over ambitious lawn sprinkler, LOL.

The person to evaluate my house for solar panels arrived and did her job. To my amazement, we could put some 17 panels on our roof with most of them facing east and west for reduced power production. I'm not sold yet, but my geek begins to churn at the thought. It still seems to me that it makes most sense when there's a battery in my basement to capture the peak production and spread it out.

onebyone – Yay for getting your presentation ready. Congrats for not letting your sister get under your skin.

maryann - Great picture! Kudos for both you and your DH for fitting into 20 year attire. I do like, "You can fill an ocean with what I don't know."

nationalparker – Kudos for skipping a meal. Yep, it's rare for me to do that also.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats - ten years is the longest anyone gets.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Cleanup Crew Trap

When you eat out, going off plan is easy. You can be tempted by the menu, the looks and smells, the large portions, the food on everyone else's plates. If you're not fully committed to following your plan, you may either give up or feel constant tension. You may struggle with that uncomfortable "Should I? No, I shouldn't. But I really want to." And you run the risk of giving in.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 135
Old 07-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #71  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi coaches!

Sneaking in a quick hello from my phone in between picking raspberries. I got a gallon yesterday and I have to already this morning. I need to pick before the sun gets too hot.

I'm in Glenwood so I haven't weighed. Actually, not true. I got on the scale Wednesday night at the pool. Numbers OK. Food OK with a cookie treat from an Aspen bakery yesterday. My girlfriend is with me again and I noticed that the same thing happened this week as did last week. Last week she brought tons of food and left it on here. This week when we leave, I'm going to politely let her know that we each leave with what we brought. Last week she brought tons of food and left it on here. This week when we leave, I'm going to politely let her know that we leave with what we brought. It's all healthy food but I choose not to take responsibility for someone else's food. I'm not a waster so it puts me in the position of having to use something I didn't purchase. It will work out and perhaps encourage her to bring less when we come back next week.

Bill, were you in Colorado walking by my yard? My sprinkler always over shoots and hits the sidewalk. LOL

Maryann, thank you for sharing your picture! Lovely!

OK, back to raspberries.

Thought I would also share, my sister got news yesterday that her cancer is officially in remission after almost 2 years of active treatment. Thus, lovely trip to Aspen and a celebration cookie.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,Coaches.

Computer is at the shop to update. DS' tablet check in. Yikes! Difficult to use.

Credit for planned restaurant outing and tracking. Credit for calling ahead to a
store to buy box of delicious white peaches. Will freeze most for smoothies. They're on sale.

I have planned my first yoga class in a year. I finally feel healthy enough to attempt. Wish me luck.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 07-15-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #73  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation difference

Coaches

Weighed in and scale up 0.4 to 268.3. Nothing to concern myself with. Credit.

This morning I did not make my foodplan first thing so I have noticed how erratic my "normal" food behaviour is. I have this, want that, eat this, think this, plan that, it's a constant stream of thoughts and actions. Wow. A written foodplan just settle all that activity down. I'm going to go make one now and stop this behaviour before it gets out of hand.

But what started this poor start? Well, another facebook message from my sister pointing me to an email and then her stress over the situation, well stress and anger, and her serious attempt to control everything around this very emotional issue. Several arms to it actually: fathers' death, inheritance money, estranged sister, cousin who possesses father's ashes, impending burial of father, her trip here, our trip there to bury him, estranged sister -- will she be at burial. Ugh On top of that my biz plan is due tonight and I am actively avoiding that as well. Food food food. My go to to personally calm me without upsetting others. If I get lost in food thoughts I don't think about all that other stuff, right? If it stayed in my head it'd be stressful but it doesn't I act on it by eating at it/eating out at it. So. STOP IT. Yes. Foodplan committement time. It doesn;t help wen I see a rise on the scale even though I know it isn't even a glass of water's worth of weight...

Getting to it now.

Bye.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #74  

Good morning coaches,

Just got back from the Y where I did 68 minutes on the elliptical. I guess I went a little faster than last time cause I had more miles. It feels so good to get some exercise first thing in the day. I saw Gerta who takes multiple classes a day. I learned she is 77 1/2. She looks incredible. Her hair is grey and skin has lost some elasticity of course, but she is trim, muscular and feels incredible. I want to be like Gerta. In order to do that I'm sure I need to lose at least 15 pounds. I'm feeling in the mood today. Probably because I'm still full from the mac and cheese I had last night. Dh requested mac and cheese for his post colonoscopy supper. I will cut up the rest of the portions and freeze them so he has something to eat while I'm gone the next two weeks. I think I'll make a meat loaf today also. That will make him happy and relieve a little of my guilt for leaving him.

Maryann Very cute picture of you and your husband. I only wish it were larger so I could see you better. I did get out the magnifying glass. Is there a way I can enlarge it so I can see you better?

Lexxiss I'm so happy about the good news on your sister. What a wonderful reason to celebrate.

Bill I haven't seen rain in such a long time. It looks like there may be some on Monday in Washington. Also, we may get some here next week, but I won't be here to see it. We have gotten less than 2 inches so far this year. I'm curious about the solar power too. We do have friends who installed panels and I need to ask about it. I think the main thing is the darn installation is so expensive.

Onbyone Good for you for not eating over what your sister said. I know when I'm really being careful with the diet/food plan I really realize how much emotional eating I do. Of course the rest of the time I just stuff the emotion and don't realize what I'm doing. I think my eating lately has been more out of boredom which is pure laziness. I need to get busy with things I can do when it's this hot and not just lament that I can't spend half the day hiking.

Nationalparker Dishes and heirlooms have been the most difficult things for me to get rid of too and I don't even bother with the pretty table settings so much like you do. My husband thinks I'm nuts for wanting to get rid of things, but I keep thinking who will do it. His thinking is, "Who cares? We'll be dead."
Well, I guess I haven't done all that well. I still have 4 sets of dishes and lots of other stuff. I did offer my Christmas dishes to my niece though and plan to get them to her before this holiday season.

Last edited by karenrn; 07-15-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #75  
Enjoying la bella vita

I'm on vacation today - sounds better to my mind that just using a vacation day. Up with DH when his alarm went off at 6 a.m. which in one way frustrates the heck out of me because I hear an alarm and wake up. He doesn't. I'm debating getting him a vibrating one for under his pillow, but think he might not notice it. BUT the other side of this thought process is ... it doesn't kill me to get up an hour earlier and get crackin' at the day.

Scale dropped to 174.4 ... hoping it holds but as long as it's trending down, I'm mentally well. I got on the exercise bike this morning and did an hour.

Big news for me is that DH suggested we spend Christmas in Italy. SO, my mind, which normally whirls a million miles an hour on some things, has latched onto this and I'm ready to reserve everything NOW. Not tomorrow, not after his boss is in on Monday, but NOW. Whoa, Nellie. I think I WILL reserve one B&B that is my favorite that is affordable for a few days after Christmas as it is a refundable rate. I've been saving up for this trip a bit at a time and now that it's in my sights (unless I'm to end up with a crushed spirit if it doesn't pan out), I'm gung ho. We'll be spending Christmas, our anniversary, NY eve and NY day there, if he can get an extra day or two off. I got too excited and went on and on here and have deleted that stuff - all's still plans.

Well, that said, now I have a huge goal for myself to drop four pounds a month and get back to Italy under 155. I've got five months but I know that end Nov/early Dec. is hard enough to maintain. DH and I talked about amping up the exercise and dropping weight. Day one - check. Healthy food and activity. I found a recipe for a tomato au gratin recipe - just a sprinkling on the top with some panko and parm and have everything I need for it except the roma tomatoes, so heading to Sam's for the huge container of those, along with a rotisserie chicken. I wanted to make chicken limone tonight - I have a chicken breast and will pick up a few more to have for other meals too, but the already cooked chicken will come in handy on the weekend.

Lexxiss - GREAT NEWS about your sister's remission. That's got to feel so, so good after such a long battle. I will share this with a coworker who is going through another diagnosis of more cancer for her mother. Two years. Wow.

Off to get cleaned up and get moving with the errands.

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-15-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Closed Thread