Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:22 AM   #46  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm consumed right now. Hubby has been gone almost a month now and I continue to move forward. I think he will be gone the entire summer. It reminds me there is no "bail out". If it needs "done" I will find a way. Credit.

The restaurant is super busy. I have an extra shift this week, as well. Raspberries are ripe in Glenwood so I am running a rigorous schedule as I want to pick/freeze as many as possible for my beloved daily smoothies. I picked over 3 gallons between Wednesday and Saturday evening. I got up super early and drove over yesterday morning for work. This week I will leave either Wed. night or early Thurs. morn and will do the same....drive early Sunday morning for work at 7. (Probably the same for the following week).

I invited my cohort on my rental projects to come over last week. We had a great time and she helped with berry picking. She bought a pool pass at the hot springs and so I think she'll be over a bit while DH is gone. She has a very old dog and so hasn't been going anywhere. Fortunately, he enjoys hanging with my pup and she is getting a vacation. I do believe we are going to work on some small projects, too. Bonus.

Foodwise, still being mindful. I weigh every day and (mostly) make good choices. Last week had a few blips (friend brought steak/baked potato) but I balanced with healthy choices. I am thinking ahead since she's coming over again.
1. I'm going to ask ahead if she wants to meal plan for dinners or each do our own thing.
2. I'm going to double up and make 2 days smoothies so I don't get too busy and go without.
3. I'm going to show up with my own salad mix because I'm not fond of hers.
It's great she has lost 40 pounds with weight watchers so I'm with a like minded person. Yay!

Ok. I'll get back when I can.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Babe Ruth debuts as pitcher (Boston Red Sox, 1914)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The standard Sunday walk was sort of rained out. My judgement that the threat of rain was serious might have been tainted by my wish to just drive my new electric car some more. Later I gave two neighborhood kids a ride; I had learned from their parents that they talked about my electric car non-stop at home. They were psyched and their parents grateful.

Food was OKish; lentils for dinner helped keep things under control. I had a full donut in the morning from a spread of unhealthy options. The option to take nothing seemed to have escaped my mind.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch that your work is super busy when you're quite capable of staying super busy on your own, LOL. 3 gallons is just a whole lot of Raspberries - color me jealous.

nationalparker – Yay for soreness from hard work. [Perhaps you could move your birdbath a few feet each day until it gets to its new home.]

ennay - Wincing at "fall leaves on my maples" - the climate can get so many plants confused. Congrats for staying calm during your mom's visit.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#2: The Cleanup Crew Trap

Kate and I agreed that it was reasonable for her to eat fries some of the time - just not all of the time. She decided that she would plan in advance whether she was going to have fries at the meal. If her meal didn't come with them, she would order her own side dish of fries, even though her kids were unlikely to finish all of theirs.

Getting her own portion reinforced the message that she never ate fries from her kids' plates. Kate would have them only if she had decided in advance to get her own. She would also have to figure out how much of the portion to eat and adjust the rest of her meal accordingly. That way she wouldn't have to spend every meal deciding whether to grab some off the kids' plates - she would know she was not having any of theirs, period. No more struggle.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 134
Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #48  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

I'm glad it's Monday. Food was over yesterday, including way too many dried applies of all things. I have a semi plan for today and am really hoping I can have a very good week before I head for Washington on Sunday.

I just put everything in my pack for the trip we will start on 7/26. It's heavy! I still have to add a little more food and I'm at 32 1/2 pounds now. I don't think there is anything I can take out except maybe a couple of stuff sacks that might amount to a pound. The bear canister adds a couple of pounds and I also want to be sure I have enough clothes. Not many of each item, but I am taking a puffy jacket and rain jacket. It will be slow going until we get some of the food eaten. The weight does include 2 liters of water and that is about what I will carry. Now I've got the suitcase out to pack for Washington. I put my day pack in there cause I'll leave it and some other Camino things at my friends house in Seattle since we will be leaving from there on 9/5.

Today's exercise will be housework. I'll do the floors and dusting. I seem to alternate with today's chores vs bathrooms. The kitchen is a daily chore and the laundry is pretty much kept up. So far I think I'm doing pretty well. I can't tell that Maria doesn't come anymore and I really don't mind doing it.

Bill Your new car has provided so much joy and entertainment. Good for you!

Lexxis I remain impressed with all you have to do and do! I was visiting with my recently widowed neighbor yesterday and saying if anything happened to dh there would be a 'For Sale' sign in the yard in a jiffy and here you are taking care of two houses and rentals too. I guess I had really better learn a little more about a few things around here, like the pool, a/c filters etc.

Nationalparker Whoa did you two ever get a lot done this weekend. That must feel and look great. I finally signed up for Amazon Prime or at least I'm on a 30 day trial. I buy lots from them, but always just chose the slow free shipping. What was the name of the doc? I like one called "Mile, Mile and a Half" that is strictly the John Muir Trail. I love the scenery. The grizzlies must have been in Alaska, cause the bears in CA are just the black bears, which can be all colors. Not near as terrifying though.

Ennay Your post about your Mom being cold makes me smile. Not that she is cold, but that I'll be up in the cool soon. At this point I have to turn the a/c lower to do housework. It gets so expensive in the summer. Luckily the other times of the year we have a reprieve.

I just saw an email come through that my new shoes have arrived at REI. Good thing, I need to break them in a little before CA. They are La Sportivas and I really liked them but I found the last pair was just a little short, so these should be good. They are trail runners, so don't need the kind of break in period that boots do.

Well, I guess I'd better get a plan made for tackling the housework. I think the biggest part of the plan is "Get started!".
Old 07-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

A very quiet morning. I haven't had a day all to myself in weeks and yet i wake up with anxiety that I don't have enough people in my life. This is how I end up overbooking. When faced with the peace I crave, anxiety pokes its head in to stir things up. This is a very common dynamic for students I have who come from chaotic homes. If the classroom is too calm, they feel unsafe and have to make a little chaos. Just like me. Usually if I let the feeling pass, after a few days of alone, I start to thrive. So today I will putter and be gentle with myself. I wonder if this is tied to my eating pattern. I do so well with my food plan for many days then I'll start to sabotage because . . . I need a full and sick stomach to distract?? KarenRN is correct. I rarely see a loss unless I feel hungry and deprived. That is the way it is for me.

DS is camping so DH and I forced ourselves out like a a dating couple would. We took his full restored 1959 Ford truck out to find the best fruit at the many fruit stands in this AG area. Found a wonderful park with a lake in a little town east of here. We ate a nice meal at new restaurant and selected bags of cherries and yellow peaches. Yum! I realized again that I enjoy my husband's company.

BBE: We dressed in our matching Hawaiin prints. They roasted a pig. Wow!
Nationalparker: I am very lucky with my vacation schedule. Days off are precious.
Lexxiss: I am wondering how I can take a smoothie to work this fall. I need a container that will keep it cold while I am in the classroom.

Last edited by maryann; 07-11-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches-
I had a nice weekend and I thought I would bop in and wave. It was rainy and cool which somehow gives me energy- I don’t feel like I’m missing out on lots of fun in the sun I guess! I sorted out some things and donated them to Savers, and took a bunch of trash to the dump. We are getting two boxes of medical supplies a week which adds up!
I haven’t been motivated to cook much with DH still unable to eat, but I made a meatloaf, stirfry and some healthyish cookies that should all last a few days.
DH is feeling more energetic and is puttering around the house a bit which is great. I am really trying to take it one day at a time and enjoy the time I have with him. Some days I am awash with sadness and fear for the future, so I am embracing how good I feel today. I am such a planner that it is hard to sit still and not think about the future, only the present.
Wishing you all good Beck days my friends!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #51  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

karenrn My mom would be happier at your house that is for sure. She usually keeps the A/C in her house set at ~ 90. It was 70 in my house when she was shivering cold, which is warmer than I set the heat to in winter! I did end up closing off the kitchen area and running the gas fireplace in there. thank goodness for french doors. That is what i usually do to heat the house in spring and fall if it is GOING to be warm later.

I haven't been doing well with food this weekend. I somehow injured myself and I am about out of hosting ability.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #52  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Got up with DH at 6 a.m. today ... well, by the time I got up it was about 20 mins later. He's got a cold, so I've camped out on the couch to try to avoid it and sleep through his coughing/hacking. Decided it was the start of a gorgeous, cool morning, so alerted my supervisor that I was extending my vacation by a half day. He replied, good for you! So puttered around, sat outside on the patio, read, did laundry, got the dishwasher rolling, dusted - everything that just seems to not get done relaxedly at night. Did I make up that word? Food was okay today. Dinner was hot turkey Italian sausage link and Trader Joe's gnocchi. Lunch was a humongo salad - mainly romaine.

Three more days of work and then a three-day weekend. I'm already counting down the days. Big meeting I'm preparing for next week but part of me just wants to play hooky.

CurlyJax - Good to see you here. My cousin in RI always talked about Savers. I've never heard of it except from her, so thank you for that memory! Good to hear your DH is more energetic. Hoping news continues to be positive.

Bill - Cool beans to let the neighbor kids experience your Leaf! Ooohhh a donut. Mmm. I have missed the last few donut Fridays due to being out. A saving grace.

Karen - I remember when I first started camping (not that I do it that much here the past year!) someone told me to pack dehydrated water and I thought that was just a RIOT. Sad to say, I wasn't a kid.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #53  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Very tired but wanted to say I wrote a foodplan and followed it with one deviation. credit. Made fresh veggie juices for me for two days. credit. Cleaned the juicer right away. credit. Did not eat over an emotional text conversation with my sister. credit.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #54  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Julius Caesar born (Rome, 100 B.C.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was good to get back out on the patio for dinner: grilled salmon, broccoli, couscous, and green salad. CREDIT moi for a good food day. Lunch was finishing some leftovers at DW's request. I have more tolerance for leftovers of some duration.

Walking, CREDIT moi, saw two Smart electric cars. These guys are tiny. There is no back seat whatsoever. They must get a zillion miles per kilowatt-hour. This morning I got up to be on Amazon Prime at midnight Pacific Time (3 am ET) for the BIG Prime Sale Day. Meh! I bought a pair of "Original Heavy Duty" kitchen scissors for $5+ that will supposedly cut everything. Maybe they'll be useful. I just had to buy something since I put that much effort into being prompt.

onebyone – Great set of credits - Kudos. Special Kudos for avoiding food to ease an emotional texting conversation.

maryann - What a neat ride that 1959 Ford truck must be. Yay for enjoying the company of your DH.

nationalparker – Kudos for taking a vacation half-day when that's what you needed. If "relaxedly" isn't a word, it should be.

Karen (karenrn) - I hate it when I overeat a healthy food, like dried apples.

curlyjax - So glad to hear that your DH is getting more energy. Super Kudos for being able to "embracing how good I feel today."

ennay - Keep the faith - all visits come to an end.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Kate and I then discussed what she could tell herself if she hadn't planned to order fires but wanted some. "I'll remind myself that fries will always be there! I don't have to have them every time. I know what they taste like, and I'll have them again."

Kate made the following reminder card:
No matter what, no fries from the boys' plates.
If I give in, it will be harder to stand firm the next
time. I'm tired of the struggle, so I just have to give
it up. Next time I can plan to get my own fries,
but I'm not having theirs.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 134
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #55  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

A pretty good day food wise yesterday and a plan in place for today. It's cooler this morning than it has been for weeks. It was only 81 at 4 when I got up. I'm watching the neighbors dog at 8:30, so I got out for a walk but not a hike. The dog had knee surgery last week and needs to stay off the leg.

I'm getting my things together for the Camino because I'm going to take that pack up to my friend's house in Seattle since I'm spending a night with her next week. I won't have everything in the pack, but some of the things I won't be needing. I'm taking a different sleeping back and jacket than I will take backpacking. We may not always need sleeping bags, but I think I'd rather use mine that the blankets when we stay in albergues.

Maryann I hope you're starting to enjoy the peace and puttering.

Curlyjax So glad to hear from you and glad to hear your husband has more energy. I too am a planner, living one day at a time is a real challenge.

Ennay Oh I hear you about almost being out of hosting ability. For me it is less and less time the older I get. What did you injure?

Nationalparker Glad to hear you're enjoying lots of time off.

Bill A friend of mine had one of those Smart cars for awhile. It wasn't electric though. I would not ride in it. I was sure that if anything hit us I'd be a goner. Way too small for me.

Time to get on with the day.

Last edited by karenrn; 07-12-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #56  

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP day and exercise. I actually added back a smoothie I have been resisting for sometime. Don't know why. Smoothies were a big part of my weight loss two years ago. Love BBE's snippet: "Fries will always be there. I don't have to have them everyday." I need to substitute "candy" for "fries" and tattoo that saying on my arm. Being an adult means that I can understand I don't get candy everyday. But that craving is the very young child in me. I feel like stomping my foot at the injustice of having to pass by sweets.

As predicted, I have started to love the quiet and the putter. I checked off several items on my list. I only have one easy and one very frustrating thing left before I start a big project. I will try the frustrating one first. Credit me. Good news is that time vanished with desire to snack as I was held up in my office trying to figure out how to get my ELGATO video capture to work again. I used it for months no problem. I VHS left and It has stopped. GRRRRRR. Credit for not snacking through frustration. I will call hotline today. The big project is to figure out iMovie and make a compilation of clips of my nephew. My dear SIL has no home movies of him. She does so much for so many people, I thought it would be nice.

KarenRN: Your camping talk reminded me of my trip into Washington. Have you camped at the Ho River? It is one of my most beautiful memories.

curleyjax: Huge credit for your strength and love during this time.

Last edited by maryann; 07-12-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #57  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default July, a dozen days in.

Coaches:

Day two for committing my food to paper and then recording if/when I deviate plus what time I actually eat at. I'm thinking of this as my "14 days prior to my diet" in the Beck books where she doesn't want us to actually start a diet but does encourage us to monitor our food. At least I think that's what she said, right? The act of pre-planning my food really changes my thinking concerning my food and makes me very conscious of the times I want to deviate from my perfectly good plan. Also, if I make a rotten plan, not on purpose but by underestimating how much I want or need, or by trying to cut corners or something, well all the game-playing becomes pretty obvious. I am recording alongside the written foodplan the deviations I did and why/what were the circumstances so I can better see in black and white, over a period of time, what my honest and unadulterated tendencies are. Gardenerjoy is the master of this kind of thing I think (hey! are you reading this GJ? ) I am ready to grow up a little and simply face myself and my food and make the *yawn* boring day to day choices that weightloss demands.

I have begun to add veggie juices into my day now. I used up all the new veggies bought in the last few days, only throwing away stuff bought last week. I am thrilled to have used up my veggies for the first time in a long time. *credit* And I can toss all the juicer veggie pulp out with the garbage in the morning so that was good timing. I am determined to become more meatless as well so I'm trying new tastes. At the market I tried the soy based milk substitute just to see what it was like. It was ok. I have no reason to avoid dairy though, but I can if I choose to.

Tomorrow I am home all day working on my art business class business plan. It has to be completed from start to finish and I need to write and find the images for a pithy 2 minute slideshow/talk showcasing my art business to "industry professionals". When I get my 3 sentence description done I'll post it here and you can tell me if it is clear, concise, and compelling. All that talking and writing descriptive stuff isn't that hard for me but oy vey! The financial statements. yikes. I'm in trouble there for sure. Oh well, I'll do what i can. I do my run through presentation Thursday at 1. I'm the first one to do it. I chose that on purpose cause there's no one to compare my talk to, and I have the most time to make corrections. The real presentations will happen next Tuesday night and I'll get my graduation certificate then plus loads of pictures will be taken (sigh) but I will sure be glad when it's over.

Lots to do and none of it is helped by overeating. Imagine that.

billblueeyes Amazon Prime sent me a notice that I could have a free Kindle download. I got excited until I saw I had to choose from three titles. Everything else cost money. None of the title interested me at all.
Quote:
Primeday

Following a severe disappointment following Amazon's take on Black Friday sale for it's prime members. Primeday is now a quantitative term to describe someone's huge disappointment about certain event, especially if judging by the signs prior to the the event it was meant to be an amazing event.
Q: Hey man! How's it hanging, how was the party? A: It was a primeday! only one person turned up, my mom...
source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=8360006 (P.S. the urban dictionary could really use an editor... )

Bye!

Last edited by onebyone; 07-12-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #58  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm treading the plan right now - not going under but not really making headway to shore. Meatless Tuesday for us - black bean, onion, green chilis and cheese enchiladas ... I keep cutting the amount of cheese and now it's very reasonable for the four servings I make. DH had two, and wanted to split his seconds, but the two corn tortillas are only 100 combined, and the ingredients are sparse or they bust open. Mainly it crunched from the onions! ha. Not exactly ooey gooey.

A big storm is looming to the west right now - the sky is black. I'm cutting it short tonight. Just finished making a different lunch for DH - lasagna rolls. Trying to use up some pasta sauce I made earlier and added in some turkey italian sausage. They came out kinda messy but smell pretty good.

Scale is up. Motivation should be as well.

Bill - LOL at your early arising to check the Christmas in July Amazon Prime deals. I saw a tweet yesterday that last year's looked like Marshall's clearance bin. That cracked me up.

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-12-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #59  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - 25-hour blackout (New York City, 1977)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Tried to follow Amazon Prime Day but found nothing that interested me. It's hard to get interested in buying when our problem in this house is to divest ourselves of so much accumulated 'stuff.' There was, however, a long black men's cashmere neck scarf for a good price. Then I remembered that I didn't want a long black men's cashmere neck scarf. Oh, well. I had to read the morning paper to finally figure out that the young adults on the bike trail yesterday were acting weird because they were playing the new Pokιmon Go. It's a new hazard in life - folks so immersed in their cell phones to be a incapable of stepping aside.

Dinner was a rare-for-us hamburger from the grill. DGD was visiting with her dad and DW wanted the easiest meal since she assumed, correctly, that the three of us would be focused on the 10 month old's shenanigans. Milestone of the day: she climbed up on a cardboard box with agility to terrify her dad who thought she was living happily along the floor.

onebyone – Good luck describing your life in two minutes. Thanks for "none of it is helped by overeating," You'll just have to accept my thanks to Canada for producing Leonard Cohen - what a gift to the world that man is. 1500 folks singing his HALLELUJAH! got me this morning. [LOL that 'primeday' is now a word for disappointment.]

maryann - Thanks for the reminder that as adults we can know that we don't get candy every day.

nationalparker – Just thinking about your enchiladas has me drooling. Kudos for cutting back the cheese instead of piling it on.

Karen (karenrn) - Had to google albergues. It's easy to get psyched about your Camino walk.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Kate then made a list.
  1. No fries from the boys' plates.
  2. Decide in advance whether I'm going to order fries at that meal.
  3. If I do, skip the other carbs.
  4. If the portion of fries is too big, move the extra onto a different plate and push it away from me. Shake lots of pepper on the extra if I think I'll still be tempted.
  5. Read my french fries reminder card before going out to eat.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 135
Old 07-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #60  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I echo onebyone and nationalparker as they look for traction in moving the scale down. I have placed so many healthy practices back into practice after they had disappeared due to my health problems last year. I am walking/ biking most days a week. I have cut my meds nearly in half. I am tracking my food. I drink water and get good sleep. PT twice a week is helping. When do I see the drop? The answer of course goes back to what KarenRN said about going to bed hungry. Where will my willingness to allow that come from? Today is the beginning of my WW week so I will focus all week on only eating 3 meals plus a snack. No other snack even on "free food." And of course, I will face the monster "eating while standing."

I have checked off many to dos. There is only one mini-vhs left to digitize and of course the plugins aren't working like they did for the first twelve. The tape is a lost two months of DS when he was 2yo. - his bday and the famous teddy bear Halloween costume. BBE: Watching DGD is no doubt the best Beck distraction from food. I certainly have loved watching DS on the movie clips.

One more commitment: No TV today. The tv has been on while doing some menial chores but then I watched two full movies and that is way too much sitting which is certainly not counterbalanced but the biking I did. TV off today. I have several books and can both bike and walk today.

Last edited by maryann; 07-13-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Closed Thread