Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #121  

Height: 5' 2"

GardenJoy Like you, I'm on Windows 7 and a very old computer. I'd feel stupid to put on Windows 10 then have to start again with different computer. In retirement I'll never afford one as expensive as this one.

Bill Sympathy on your computer issues. How do you adjust to Windows 10? Loved hearing about you and your DGD with the brilliant conversations.

MaryAnn Now I understand your improved relationship with your Mother. How very wonderful for both of you. Finding new friends is taxing but also very enlivening isn't it. With us going to a different Church East of us after 30 years at one to the West of us, we constantly meet new people. I'm in new Bible Class taught by our Priest who also has Daily Mass the hour before Bible Class. I really enjoy Wednesdays now. DH goes to his Bible Class for Men on Saturday Mornings and loves it. We also go to monthly Lunch Bunch and sit with a different group each time. Most fun was with 3 women from the Philippines who are very friendly and lots of fun. One time a couple from India joined our group and the culture differences and similarities were fun to discuss.

July has been so muggy and extremely hot recently. Kept me from walking and gardening even in the early morning. Heat advisories for our ages.

Debbie you are really ambitious with your roofing. About 4 or 5 years ago you would not have been able to do so. Amazing.

NationalParker Sorry you and DH are having such a problem with his daughter who refuses to grow up. May this problem be worked out quickly and remove stress from both of you.

Sandy
Old 07-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #122  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Returned home from work to start meal prep and found I'd forgotten to thaw the ground turkey for the meatloaf w/onions and peppers ... so had to change gears to twice-baked potatoes, turkey links and cukes/tomatoes. Didn't really go together but I'm proud that I only had one half of the baked potato. I was gunning for two - a "whole potato, after all". Trying to talk DH into going for a walk now, after an hour of trip planning. Venice will be mighty expensive, and I am adjusting our itinerary a bit.

Tomorrow is my "Friday" and I'm really looking forward to it. Humidity has lessened here today.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #123  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

We put in 12 hours yesterday. As suspected, under 5 layers of roofing was a rotten roof. 9/10's of the old roofing and wet wood are hauled away. Hubbys shop is wide open. I have taken pictures but am too nice to post on FB. He would have an anxiety attack. We will have plywood on by this afternoon and will have top coat of roofing on tomorrow morning. Then we will be waterproof. Thank goodness for a dry stretch of weather and the willingness to get it done. Recognized how my Beck practice spills into the other areas of my life. The projects remind me of my cards-"Just Do It.". Next week this will be a memory. Spontaneous exercise was mowing the lawn. Food was light scale moves down again.

Nationalparker, great job limiting the baked potato, especially since it was a change in dinner plan.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - 14th Amendment ratified (U.S. Constitution, 1868)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Typing under Windows 10! CREDIT moi for perseverance. Updating just failed and failed again after long downloads and restarts. And then I tried Microsoft's make-media-installation program. It took about two hours but worked flawlessly. Many things work the same - or enough so that I've found my way around. It's still hard for me to get used to a computer interface imitating a cell phone. (The installation notes that I don't have a touchscreen - as an obvious failure.) Microsoft deemed to install the Pro version since I was currently running a Pro version. After July 29, that will cost $199. My take is that I did save that money since Microsoft has declared another fatal flaw in Windows 7 that won't be fixed. I feel like I've made a pact with the devil. [Note to self: Read Faust and Mephistopheles to remember how it all turns out.]

Eating was very good because we went to a FREE concert on the Boston Esplanade. The Landmark Orchestra played some opera and some Wagner. Flight of the Valkyries is about the only Wagner that I like so I was a happy soul. Dinner was gazpacho from containers with cloth napkins and folding canvas chairs. I do like snooping about looking what other folks bring for picnics.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for recognizing that your life has changed. My DW seems better at doing that than I am. My take is that Windows 10 gives me a FREE year to dally looking to replace this obsolete laptop that I'm currently using.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super Kudos for avoiding food at work when you're surrounded by folks eating all the time. Love to read the ease with which you tackle a roof. I just had an estimate for the roof of my Mansard roof Victorian house that ran closer to $10K.

maryann - Kudos for charging up that hill chasing a 26 year-old.

nationalparker – Yay for conjuring a meal even though the main course wasn't thawed. I love dreaming of your Venice trip.

Sandy (love2garden) - Hope you're able to get past the heat to work on your garden. We're dry as a desert around here. DW worries about forest fires.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Limited Food Options Trap

Control of your eating on trips is a matter of preparation and practice. Think about all your meals and snacks. How can you get healthy food? How can you deal with temptations? Pull out your schedule, too. When can you fit in exercise?
  • Save enough time so you can get something healthy to eat on the way to your destination. Remind yourself that it will probably take just as long to get a healthy option as it would to get junky food. Which will you feel better about having eaten?

• Bring healthy snacks with you or buy them at the hotel gift shop. Or when you check in, ask for directions to a food market and request a small refrigerator for your room. Ask the hotel to take away the mini-bar food or make sure it's out of sight.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 141
Old 07-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Lexxiss: LOL when you said "spontaneous exercise" was mowing lawn. Hard to believe the other 12 hours of roofing didn't count. As always, you amaze me.

BBE: Somehow my recent update missed "iPhoto." I will pursue it today. The "senior citizen" part of me continues to resist and resent change

nationalparker: Your half baked potato reminded me of an article I read in Prevention magazine regarding "Resistant Starch." Cooking then cooling pasta and potatoes make them act as fiber instead of carbohydrates. Fascinating read.

Still haven't weighed and I am getting a little nervous. Three more days. Tracked food yesterday and plan to track today. The only exercises yesterday were stretches for my post-hike muscles. Today I plan gym with bike and Pilates. Spontaneous exercise is chasing up the pear tree on the ranch to pick my summer quota.

P.S. My new avatar is the waterfall I hiked to in high Reno.

Last edited by maryann; 07-28-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #126  
Green Tomatoes

I offered to bring a picnic for some young folks before a 6pm meeting. I noted at the end of our last meeting that they were mighty hungry young folks. They didn't have time to get a supper in between work and the 2-hour meeting. This is the sort of activity that was not a part of my life two years ago.

I'll bring sandwiches (vegetarian because some of the young folks are), but only expect to eat half of one myself. I'll offer the other half to any one else who shows up early and hungry. Half a sandwich, carrot sticks, and fruit. That's my supper plan!

BillBlueEyes: my picnic won't be accompanied by music, but I loved hearing about yours!

Lexxiss: Sorry that the roof wasn't in better shape as you hoped, but good for you for dealing with the reality. That's such a helpful example for me.

nationalparker: The Venice trip sounds lovely -- I'm glad you're finding ways to make it work.

love2garden: We're finally a bit cooler here; I hope you get our weather soon.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #127  
Green Tomatoes

I've developed a horrible habit of buying a treat for myself every time I have to run an unexpected errand. An unexpected errand came up at lunch time. The only way that I kept from buying the treat was to promise myself that I'd come here and claim credit for not buying it as soon as I got home. So, yay! I didn't buy that treat and I remain on my food plan for today -- woohoo!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #128  

Height: 5' 2"

GardenerJoy We DID get your cooler weather today!!!

Bill Shocked how hard a time you had getting windows 10 on your computer and also at price that we'll end up with by getting it later. Not sure this 7 year old computer could handle all that.

I know I'd be very stressed. If I'm not here perhaps that is why.

Debbie What a blessing you did get that rotten roof off and are putting a better one on. Probably saved the shed!

Summer Veggies make great suppers now. How fortunate to have so much fresh food from our garden, I know it is free of pesticides, too.

Last edited by love2garden; 07-28-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #129  
Enjoying la bella vita

A good day; a good review at work. Listening to NPR today and at one point heard the interviewee say hold on, and you could hear a radio going, "Incoming rocket" and he signed off fast - from Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan. So for today, and longer, I am so very thankful that I am not hearing that at work.

Stuffed shells tonight - just with ground turkey cooked with garlic, ragu and red wine ... parmesan. I took one less than I wanted. Side was salad. I still am eating way too much - fresh bryers strawberry ice cream for dessert. 110 cal for half cup (my serving). STILL not needed. I am wanting the food more than a decent weigh in on this week - i'm back way up again. Classic fail.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:30 AM   #130  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Ike creates NASA (Washington D.C., 1958)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Windows 10 continues to run without any concerns. I, on the other hand, spend my time watching it closely like a small child who could get into trouble at any moment, LOL. Walked, CREDIT moi, to our community garden where the dry tomato plants absorbed as much water as I could stand there and dump. It doesn't look good around here for stuff that grows.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including our third meal from last Saturday's pizza order. That's a long time for pizza to sit in the fridge and not get gobbled as a snack.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Seems like serious outreach work when you bring food so the young folks can show up. Kudos for the CBT strategy of planning to post here.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Your courage removing a roof just floors me. Move to Washington D.C. - we need folks like you running the government.

maryann - Terrific waterfall! Yay for pears beginning to appear.

nationalparker – Thanks for the reminder that we're fortunate to not live in a war zone. Kudos for taking one less than wanted. Garlic is just the best.

Sandy (love2garden) - Yay for summer veggies from your own garden - the ultimate organic.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Limited Food Options Trap

Control of your eating on trips is a matter of preparation and practice. . . .
  • Before each meal, remind yourself that you don't always have control over what food is served to you, but you always have control over what food you put in your mouth.

• Make specific plan for what to eat if you have an idea of what will be served. Make at least a general plan if you don't. How many courses will you eat? What will your portion sizes be?

• Schedule in times to exercise. Take advantage of exercise apps or on-demand exercise videos or explore the neighborhood - with the added benefit of getting some fresh air.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 141
Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

gardenerjoy: What a nice form of service work - very thoughtful to accommodate youngsters. It is so nice to have all age, size, color and shape in my life.

BBE: Picked 20 pears and that was the total harvest. They will be delish when they ripen. Last year we had four times the amount.

nationalparker: I feel for you. I am most often in the middle of the conflict of what I want and the behavior I choose. I brush my teeth everyday, take my meds everyday, tend my money everyday but I can't stay on plan everyday.

Love2garden: I love the fruits and veggies now as well. We have a peck of peaches and they're delish.

Taking DH to the Dr. for a check up. He is very nervous. He feels every visit now is another thing wrong with him. He is in better shape than all of us because of his work but he carries some weight in the middle. It doesn't seem fair this is aging, I tell him. Still I am far happier now than I was when I was 25.

Started lesson planning even though my schedule is not 100% set. Many of the lessons can be adapted for any age.

Hurray for honeydew season! The boys will go sell a box up at Tahoe. i will steal several for here.

Last edited by maryann; 07-29-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #132  
Green Tomatoes

Checking in because that's what I do when I'm serious about this. I ate better yesterday because of the check-in and the second check-in. Today should be considerably less challenging, but I need to take it seriously anyway because that doesn't necessarily mean that I eat better. I have a written food plan and intend to follow it to the letter.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #133  
Enjoying la bella vita

Decent day ... evening spent downtown at an outdoor showing of Blazing Saddles at a museum. I'd never seen it before. Yowsers. We ate dinner at home, avoiding the free slider bar and dessert bar. But the guy behind the dessert bar came over to me with two miniature brownies - a bite each. He said you certainly aren't skipping me, are you? Oh, no, certainly not.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Johnson enrolls Truman into Medicare (Independence, MO, 1965)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Rain was predicted for the day - thundershowers even. DW was, of course, delighted but that was offset by our plans to have both adult kids and DGD for dinner on the patio. We accumulated a mere tenth of an inch and ate outside for a very pleasant evening. Yay for a weather prediction that missed.

I ate one less lamb-kebob skewer than I wanted and the other guys ate, CREDIT moi. I noticed that I was 'satisfied' and the 'hunger' I felt was a longing for more of that grilled lamb. I countered with the notion that leftovers would go in my fridge and become another meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sometimes when I face something less challenging, I lower my guard and find a way to mess up.

maryann - Congrats for getting an adult male to see a doctor. I do like being reminded that if I can brush my teeth every day without fail, I can follow my plan.

nationalparker – Blazing Saddles outdoors might be just the best way to see it. Ouch for a walking two-bite brownie - those guys should never have been invented.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#4: The Vegas Mind-Set Trap
"What I eat on vacation stays on vacation."
Karen was excited. She was about to got to the beach for a week with her husband and three granddaughters. They had rented the same house at the Jersey shore each year for many years. Karen loved riding the waves with the kids, building sand castles, buying them treats from the bakery and the gift shops, eating out with the family, and visiting with neighbors and friends they had met through the years.

But Karen was worried. She had already lost thirty-five pounds and was concerned about what might happen next. On two-week beach vacations in the past, she had invariably gained about five pounds. And then when she got home, she struggled mightily to get back on track.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #135  
Enjoying la bella vita

Oh, Bill - I love that and will use that. Is it "hunger" or "longing"? Thank you. Want/need just seemed to not cover it in some instances. Your al fresco dining sounds wonderful.

Will take our pooch to the vet this morning. I awoke tired - did not sleep deeply last night. DH is a toucher in his sleep and that wakes me up and last night was one of those nights. I had to reset my thinking this morning to be thankful for a husband who wants to cuddle, who is not repulsed by my body, a comfortable bed, and the freedom to wake up at my leisure this morning. But not too late.

Meal planning today for the week. I'm sure we'll eat out for one dinner, and will do meal prep so some things are quick snags for lunch (the mexican chicken meatballs - a good pop of protein and I've cut the cheese down since I don't really taste it. Thanks, GardenerJoy, for putting that thought in my mind last year. I can't say that I do it 100% of the time, but more often than not. Don't waste the calories on cheese if they're not tasted.

Wanted to check in and set my intentions for a good day with sound choices.
Closed Thread