Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:21 PM   #106  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Plans change/change plans

Coaches

Cancelled the weekend markets to just do the artist residency. My residency is shared with S who is not well and needs much "consideration" throughout the day.
Tiring.

Had food in good order until I was heading home. I changed my plan was in the grocery store (thinking error#1) and then decided I was too exhausted (thinking error and sabotaging thought #2) to cook my dinner so I bought grocery store ready-made. At about 1/4 into the food I clearly knew I had had enough. It was loud and clear. I ate past and it to the point of uncomfortably stuffed.
New rule for me "I am too exhausted is never a reason to go off plan. It is a sabotaging thought of the highest order."

This morning's weight same as yesterday 266.8

Bye for now.

PS DH, who is chasing Pokιmon thereby getting his walks back into his life, informed me that losing weight was simple:calories in vs. calories out. I could have

Last edited by onebyone; 07-23-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #107  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Amelia Earhart lost (Marshall Islands, 1937)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chasing the DGD for a good chunk of the day. At ten months, she just goes and goes. She still likes for me to carry her around the house, yard, and neighborhood touching and naming things. She converses emphatically, though using her only two words, "Hi" and "Da." "Hi" is used appropriately. "Da" covers everything else, LOL.

Eating was sane. Lunch was at a local restaurant that caters to nursing mothers. In exchange for their high tolerance of our DGD's dropping unwanted green beans on the floor, we accept that all the other kids in the place are doing likewise. Dinner was upscale pizza since food was needed RIGHT NOW and nobody felt like cooking. CREDIT moi that there's left over pizza in the fridge.

onebyone – Terrific rule, "I am too exhausted is never a reason to go off plan. It is a sabotaging thought of the highest order." LOL at "losing weight was simple: calories in vs. calories out" - just like making money in the stock market, "Buy low, sell high."

nationalparker – Yay for farmers' market for sane eating. [Cafe Fleuri should never be divulged. Like Machu Picchu, it would be better if the outside world does not know about it. It is not a place for sanity. Do NOT go there. Do NOT say that name aloud. Delete this post as soon as you've read it.]

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#3: Limited Food Options Trap

To help him stick to this plan, Joe made the following reminder card:
Remember, even though I don't always have control
over what food is served to me, I always have control
over what I put in my mouth. Stick to the plan and
I'll feel good.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 139
Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Wrapped up week #1 in restart (stop guffawing, maybe this'll last) ... down 1.4 pounds. Aiming to tackle 20 weeks. (Is that how many are in a WW booklet, Maryann? Do they still give those out?

Got on the bike for a decent workout and did some floor exercises since I'm alone this afternoon. Dinner will be mozz bruschetta turkey burgers (no buns but with a pile of bruschetta mix piled on top) cooked indoors, and parm new potatoes baking in the oven now with a bit of olive oil. I guesstimated vastly wrong on DH's return time from the race, so the potatoes, which always seem to take ages, are about done. Won't start the meat until he's home. Oops. I will make the Buca de Beppo take on a waldorf salad - made up the vinaigrette earlier and now just need to assemble it all. If they're tooooo well done, will turn them into the leftovers/reruns and will start fresh.

Debating taking a vac day tomorrow - it IS, after all, Christmas in July. Would be fun to put up a few strands of lights, but figure those are up in the attic, which I don't tackle in this heat. Fleeting thought of making frosted cookies - DH's fave - but we just don't need them and cannot pass them by. Wish I could make just a few. HEY - you know, I COULD buy 1-2 and we could savor them. I'm sure Panera or SOMEONE sells a frosted cookie.

Bill - I just love your retelling of time with DGD. I wish we had extended family up here. Or to be more accurate, I wish I lived closer to my brother and his family. The next wave of kids is coming along there and it's fun to see the different parenting styles among the moms, especially. We're waiting for the heat to pass to get back out dining on the patio.

OneByOne - Credits to come up with that sabotaging thought - I use that one now and again. I wonder WHY we sabotage ourselves. What does it get us - just what we want in those few minutes? The other day I really wanted instant mashed potatoes and made them and counted them... I didn't season them well. They tasted mediocre at BEST. Yet I gobbled them like they were decadent treats I'd never get again. I tried to stop myself and put down the sink, but I reasoned that it was just wasteful and this was what I wanted and I'd already counted it and whatever other "reasons" I could come up with.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Eric Hoffer born (Bronx, New York, 1902)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Got a bunch of stuff done for a busy day, CREDIT moi. I examined the basement plumbing that I have to do for the upgrade to the bathroom next door. The best news is that I finally found a medicine cabinet that we like enough to consider buying. And I discovered that I need fewer new valves in the basemen than I thought. The bad news is that the water heater needs to be replaced. Replaced while still working rather than wait until Christmas Eve when it floods the basement and plumbers won't answer their phones.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. We had more of the pizza from the day before - and there's more still left. I'm pleased to have had a reasonable serving. It helps that I had to choose how much I wanted, put the rest back in the fridge, and then heat what I planned to eat. After eating it, there was no temptation to reach into the box for another slice.

nationalparker – Congrats for finishing week one out of a twenty week plan. A good start is most encouraging. Nope, I can't imagine going into the attic at these temperatures.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

One last aspect of business travel we needed to talk about involved the snacks the hotel provides in guest rooms. "I tend to eat them at night, even if I'm not really hungry, especially if I'm feeling keyed up or kind of bored. You now, they just sit there, on the minibar or counter staring me in the face," he said.

Joe and I discussed potential solutions. He could ask the hotel to remove them. He could cover them with a tower. Or if they were on a tray, he could put them away in the closet.

"I like the idea of covering the snacks with a towel," Joe said to me. "Besides, I'm bringing healthy snacks with me, so I know I can eat those if I want to. And honestly, those minibar snacks are ridiculously expensive. Even though my business covers my expenses, I feel kind of ripped off."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 139
Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #110  
Enjoying la bella vita

Well, what started out to be a great day is sliding to a close in a negative frame. Credits: Good breakfast and lunch, and an hour on the bike. Debits: FOUND a can of store-bought frosting from maybe six months ago in the fridge that just kept getting moved around. Well, I decided that I needed to finish off the last two tablespoons and put them on graham crackers for a 250 calorie total crapola snack. Grr. I am the lone saboteur to my forward progress. Granted, I know it wasn't 3,500 calories, but ... still.

Put out some decor and set the table for Christmas for Christmas in July ... picked up some small goodies for DH for his stocking and pulled out his childhood one and wrapped/stuffed it. Christmas carols playing with the AC on. Feels like home hah. Anyway he comes home highly aggravated because instead of the wrap-up of child support flowing smoothly, his ex has decided to fight some aspect of it - daughter is 19, has had two full-time jobs in the past year, but has left one/been fired from the other and had medical benefits and no conversation about any interest in school, but has had ample time to save up for it as well. Think she might be fighting for insurance coverage, but he's not had it. I'm frustrated off the scale. We've said we're fine with helping with education as long as she's going to GO but she doesn't follow-through on life.

Planned dinner was chicken parmesan. Now I have NO interest in cooking/cleaning up. AT ALL. He won't care what he's eating and I'm torn between the financially wise position of prepping the food we have vs. picking up Cajun food (the quickest option to me). EDITING: ended up making what I'd planned because I don't want to waste the food and also spend money. We're trying to watch corners where we can ... and I dream that I've saved enough for an extra day in retirement haha...

Bill - Wise to heat reasonable portions of pizza at a time... smart move! Are you renovating and renting out the home next door? Good luck with the water heater replacement. DH's tackling of ours took a while (hardest part to me was trying to help him lift it up on the stand. It was 95% him and 5% me.

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-25-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Still vacationing in Tahoe. Food is not horrible since I have stuck to the plan of a meal replacement bar for breakfast. AlsoI have hiked both days up here and planned a four hour hike tomorrow before a spa day. Karen would be proud.

Super sore from all the exercise but pleased I can do it.

nationalparker: Didn't even think about Christmas in July. Fun notion. And all those "saved" meals do add up overtime. I listen to a study that the number one thing older people regret is not saving enough. It was in front of maintaining family ties and health.

BBE: DGD sounds wonderful. Credit for replacing the water heater. My sister waited until her air conditioner went out and she had to wait two weeks in 100 plus heat to get it replaced.

Last edited by maryann; 07-25-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:02 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Grasshopper swarm ruins crops (U.S. Midwest, 1931)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the dentist to get told that there's nothing wrong with my gums, that I'm not dying. It was just a spot, possibly biopsied because there's nothing else wrong with me to worry about. I do take these scares seriously since a bunch of my friends have received bad news from these kind of tests.

Food was OKish, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was a hamburger! We never do hamburgers but there was some frozen meat left over from when the kids were last here. DW does an amazingly good job of monitoring our fridge and freezer to use stuff before it has to be tossed. She grilled a huge slice of onion to go with it for a super treat.

maryann - Kudos for all that hiking. Hope you are following the advice to consume lots of liquids. [Thanks for the story of your sister's air conditioner - that's just the scenario I need to hear when my brain is telling me that I could get a few more months out of this water heater because it hasn't flooded the basement yet.]

nationalparker – LOL at your Christmas in July - what a kick. Ouch for the travails of step-mothering with Kudos for not eating about it. [We rent the house next door. We usually try to do maintenance between tenants, but these guys are staying (Yay!) and we have to replace the fixtures in the bathroom that have worn to the point of making the place look like student housing.]

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

To help his stick to this plan, Joe also made the following reminder card:
I'll be sorry if I eat the minibar snacks. If they weren't in the room at all, I wouldn't miss them.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #113  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Quel Suprise! x deux

Coaches

Woke up feeling Tthe day is lost. I'm fatter than ever. Nothing's happening." Saboteur woke up ahead of me I think. Instead I wrote to a buddy, committed a foodplan, gave a pep talk (saboteurs are very active in the summer it seems) which was more for me than them and it served its purpose. So, I steeled myself for my weigh-in and got out the wii fit and it wasn't charged properly so couldn't weigh me. Rats. Surprise#1.

Then I remembered my back up scale is under the chaise. I bought it and went back to the wii fit. I just really wanted that scale number. I pulled it out and stepped on. 4x I stepped on. 270.1. 265.7 265.7 265.7.

Surprise#2 - 265.7 it is. My goal for the month is 265. My stretch goal is 260. I know better than to say 265 is in the bag, I am 0.7 away yet, but it's something to aspire to.

Today I am back at the artist residency. 1-8pm. I have made my print a day for every day in residence (first goal). Today I feel I will begin tackling the "big block" and hopefully, crossing my fingers in a big way, I will complete this block by Thursday during the day. I want to have a first print/proof of it for Thursday night. That would be fantastic. My residency has been extended another week so I will begin big block #4 in this suburbs series. I think I have my image for it. Pretty sure I do. I may attempt a small version of it today actually. That's a good plan. If I get familiar with it potentially the carving will go quicker when I begin next week. I have big hope for these large prints. I don;t see many artists working in this medium and I suspect the uniqueness and the subject matter may snag me a Real Gallery SHow.

yikes gotta run.

BillBlueEyes: If your place next door ever becomes an AirBNB I'll be over in a jiff. Would love to sit and gab on your patio late into some summer evening.

nationalparker You'll have to forgive me but as someone who really dislikes Christmas the thought of a second one, voluntarily, it makes me squirmy just reading about it. But I appreciate the joy you take in it! Actually you really put a lot of effort into many things, especially relationship maintenance. I think that's fantastic. I give you mucho kudos for this!!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #114  
Green Tomatoes

I became aware yesterday that I was ruminating over something that happened Friday and will likely happen every few weeks for the foreseeable future. It's a new task that I've taken on. It will only take a few hours a month in real time. In rumination time, it has the potential to take up every blooming moment. I looked up rumination stress and discovered this: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...and-ruminating

Rumination is an addictive behavior. It can cause abuse of alcohol and food even in people who don't already have those problems. A different article mentioned CBT as a possible mechanism for improvement.

So, step 1. Here I am! I'll be back tomorrow with step 2, which I don't know what is yet.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #115  
Enjoying la bella vita

Earlier check for me today - stating my goal for my work event tonight is to pick a few items I would LOVE and stick with those - I doubt I'll go home hungry. If so, I can heat up an ear of corn. There will be "stations" of all sorts of food - which enables me to have more than I should (I didn't say more than I liked. Hm.)

A short workweek for me because I'm off Friday and DH is moving into another busy push for work and might have to work on Saturday. I'm completely fine being off as much as I can ... I have the vacation bug and it bit me hard.

Food has been okay so far today, so my motto is "don't blow it" for tonight. Week #2 cannot be a gain. I've done that before, though.

Maryann - In thinking about you being on WW for a month and being down two pounds, I used to average a half-pound loss per week, but that's nearly 25 pounds in a year, so ... there's a lot to be said for you being down for a whole month in the summer!

Bill - GREAT news from your dentist. I know the fear that goes along with tests, especially when friends' outcomes are not good. DH and I have tossed around the idea of one day buying rental property. He's a major handyman and I do a decent job painting ... and would love to do the landscaping, etc., but that would be a "down the road" option. Fun for us to think about, though. I'm all about trying to think of ways to bring in income down the line!

OneByOne - Oh NO on not liking Christmas I love it - I'm not sure why. It's not the gifts, not the cold weather, not the cold season, the incessant BUY THIS ads, hmm... I love holiday music and when I applied for my current job, my to-be boss asked me what kind of music I liked. I said Christmas music. He said in 25 years, no one had ever said that. I said I couldn't lie and say Blues since I couldn't back it up haha... Don't let those saboteurs get in your way. We're in this together. Let's have a kick-butt HHD tomorrow!

GardenerJoy -So good to see you pop in here when you can/need to I like your forthright way of looking at things. Hoping your summer is going well. Do you have another trip on the horizon?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #116  
Super Moderator

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I am installing Windows 10. <gasp>

If you see this placeholder post on Wednesday morning, presume I'm locked out of my computer being 'helped' by Windows.

It took DW three days to come up for air after she installed.

Wish me luck.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Insulin isolated (Toronto, 1921)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Typing under Windows 7. Windows 10 update is downloaded and waiting for me to press the final button. I had hoped that it would install overnight but it waited for me to say that I agreed to their arbitration clause that assures that I don't sue regardless of what it does to me. I'm so old that I remember when I was in charge of my computer and the operating system was my friend. <sigh>

Walk, CREDIT moi, found an excuse to dawdle in a hardware store looking for stuff. Didn't really need to buy anything, just needed to see what options existed. Real exercise was making three phone calls that I didn't want to make - all to contractors for various issues. The problem with them all is that they're small jobs for which the contractor thinks it a favor to perform. I suppose that that's better than expensive jobs, but expensive does get contractors' attention. Dinner on the patio was 'sustainable' swordfish with green beans from the garden. For the first time in my life, the green beans were inedible hard - I guess we waited too long to pick them.

onebyone – Ouch for a saboteur that wakes up ahead of you. Kudos for recognizing her and moving forward.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the link to the Ruminative Cycle article. Kudos for thinking of CBT as a counter-measure.

nationalparker – The concept of "stations" of food triggers my brain to crave overeating. I've been at a table where I was chastised because I hadn't visited the Pasta Station - as if a plate from each station was required instead of choosing one station for a meal. Kudos for thinking of an ear of corn for dinner.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

To help him remember these strategies, Joe made the following list.
General Travel Plans
  1. Bring healthy snacks.

2. If I have time to look for healthy food at the airport, that's fine. If not, grab a healthy sandwich or salad and fruit. I'll feel better if I do.

3. Limit food and drink at receptions and dinners. (See conference dinner plan.)

4. Cover the food on the hotel minibar. Out of sight, out of mind.

5. Read advantages list and reminder cards as usual every day.

6. Wake up early, if I need to, to exercise.

7. Walk whenever possible.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 140
Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #118  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Coming up for air then back to "stuff". Food has been good. I actually did a 4 day juice/brown rice cleanse this week at the suggestion of my chiropractor. I am easing back into my regular food plan and feel great. The scale came down, too. Credit for not putting anything in my mouth at work for 4 days except for the juice I brought each day.

Projects galore. My girlfriend and I did my moms roof in Glenwood last week and we are starting the roof on my hubbys shop this morning. I am very excited as I've learned so much this Summer and I really believe we have a strong possibility of stopping the leaks in my hubbys shop which would mean we don't have to build him a new one. It's complicated because the shop only has 3 framed walls-the 4th is an existing rock wall and there is a slight possibility water is coming in from there. I'm crossing my fingers we don't find too much rot when we pull the old roofing off but we have 4 sunny days to resolve. It's only 14'x16'.

So, I'm headed out. Keeping my Beck skills with me always.Grateful I can climb a ladder and work on a roof.LOL

PS took time to read gardenerjoy's article on rumination this morning. That's me, counter it with decluttering and Sudoku. It sure helps!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-27-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Lots of good things happening here on the West Coast:

1. Arranged with a friend to hike in the high mountains of Reno. Beautiful waterfall with a nice grade up. Six miles roundtrip.I am so thankful that I maintained some of my endurance during this past year of nerve damage injuries. We brought a 26 year old with us who practically sprinted up the mountain and kept us on pace. Oh to be young. Special mention on this one because the original date was for a spa day with three of us. The "linking" friend couldn't go but we went ahead with just the two of us for the first time. I asked for the addition of a hike. (The linking friend won't hike.) and Bam! I have a new hiking buddy. The past few years I had been bemoaning the loss of my thirty year active friend after I felt I had to let go of the friendship. This summer I realized that a few of my other friends (which I have had for years) are just as active. I haven't reached out before because I am very much an introvert and only feel comfortable talking one on one with a few people. Forcing myself to be "one on one" with some new "safe" people will give me plenty of hiking company. Natural attrition is a big part of aging and I have to continue to invest to keep my social circle thriving.

2.I signed up for the body detox body wrap at the spa for a change. Don't know if I'll do it again. I had to stop from laughing as she touched my face for "energy work" as i was wrapped as a cocoon. Still I slept well last night and my body is really soft.

3. Also sign up for a microdermabrasion facial which I have today. So three cheers for self care. I had a moment of pause after all this pampering but I have saved a bunch of money not drinking for 28 years😄 Time to spend it.

4. My mother (81) has asked me to give her a two year sobriety chip this Friday. What a blessing! I have joy in my heart with my mother being returned to me these last two years. Once she was lost and now she is found.

Nationalparker: Yes on W.W. I have stopped tracking the last few days but am home today and will hop back on. I am giving the diet at least six more months.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 07-27-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #120  
Green Tomatoes

I feel like I’m in a bit of a pre-change pattern right now. I really want to take some time this week to examine my life, accept the reality that it is vastly changed from two years ago, figure out a mix-and-match food plan that will work with that new reality, re-think my writing goals to match the reality that writing's not the top priority it once was, and work on ways to keep myself happy and healthy.

nationalparker: no trips planned at the moment -- we have ideas for two car trips this fall, but if I don't get those ideas attached to dates with hotel reservations, we'll end up skipping them. That's one of the things that I really want to have a good think about this week.

BillBlueEyes: I'm still running Windows 7. My laptop is past time of needing replacement, so I'm hoping to do that instead. But that feels like a big project with an uncertain outcome, too, so I keep putting it off.

Lexxiss: thanks for decluttering and sudoku as posssible distractions from rumination. I can use both of those suggestions!

maryann: the hiking and spa treatments sound wonderful!
Closed Thread