Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #46  

Height: 5' 2"

More gardening, primarily pulling weeds, feeding, putting down mulch and cutting back plants that have bloomed and need to be cut down to ground for new healthier growth (Columbine). Amazed not to be be sore with all the bending and such. Still eating healthy, CREDIT: Still moving very often even when sitting: Credit, Still choosing water not juice or drinks with sugar, Credit: Still thinking thru what is healthy and avoiding what would get Beck's attention.

Best thing I'm doing is eating the 5 or 6 smaller meals, breaking up the same calories but spreading them out. When I'm home, it is far easier.

Next week this time I'll have a great class to go to and that will be each Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to it with a super teacher and a friend I've known for years.

Bill laughing at your thinking of shopping while on treadmill. I hate to shop, so that is never my issue. It just is plane boring. Walking outside is always interesting.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #47  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Hi coaches!

Have been reading and starting to post but never actally finishing the posts lately

It's Wednesday which is my super busy day. Last week of it though.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #48  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Remaining on plan and feeling good. Credit for both food on plan and good exercise day yesterday. I went to the class at the Y and enjoyed it very much but I will say I'm sore today. Boy do I need the strength training. The people are friendly and most seem to be very regular in their attendance. The class was not quite as full yesterday, which is nice. I'm going to really strive to attend Tu/Th/Sat after a morning walk. I know it would do me a world of good. This morning I hiked Bell Pass and although it was 79 when I started at 5 am, it was a few degrees cooler than Monday at the end of the hike and no snake rattles.

I took my friend Coleen to the airport late yesterday afternoon. She'll be gone until October most likely. She has to be careful about how much time she spends in the states because she is Canadian and doesn't want to lose her insurance or pay US taxes.

Maryann I hope your blues pass soon. Sounds like you have things to look forward to over the summer. I have never gone to the Shakespearean Festival in Ashland but years ago my parents used to go most years.

GardenerJoy I always feel I should spend more time in the kitchen to make healthy meals, but I keep it very simple. Luckily my dh is quite happy with a salad with protein on it many nights of the week. We are both kind of the same way and can eat the same breakfast and lunch day after day with a little variation in the dinner.

Bill I saw another Leaf yesterday. I'm sure I'll be seeing them all the time now that I'm on the lookout. Speaking of mangos, we have them at Sprouts at 2 for $1. I think I'll go today and get a few.

Onebyone Don't quit posting. Many of us say the same things over and over. For me it's usually that I'm going to restart every Monday. Whatever it is, it is, and I know each of us understands those myriad of feelings that are so common to all of us who struggle with weight loss.

Nationalparker Good job on the bargains. I have the same problem with pants, they almost always have a gap at the back of the waist that could use a tuck. Glad to hear the phlebotomist was a good one. So many of them just dig and dig, meanwhile they have already gone through the vein.

Sandy Good for you for getting back to the gym too. So much easier to be outside, but sometimes that just isn't the best. I just want to stay strong enough to be independent for as long as possible.

This afternoon I'm going to see the move, The Meddler. I don't think I even had it on my list, but it has a good rating, sounds funny and is at a great time, 1:25. Besides that it's at the theater that is only about 2 miles from my house.

Last edited by karenrn; 06-08-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #49  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Lunch today at work was out with a few gals welcoming a new intern. Spot picked was a new one to me and I chose one tostada and it was small, meatless and delish. Felt good since others ordered three items. Credit - limited myself to four tortilla chips. Have already texted DH that I'll have to take him there. Maybe this weekend as we've reset plans to see that Imax movie (A Beautiful Planet) - not far from it. Temps will be in the mid-90s, so a good time to catch an air-conditioned movie. Tonight's dinner will be an Ina Garten spring pasta dish - grape tomatoes that are infusing with olive oil, garlic, red pepper and salt now, and I'll pick up basil on the way home. Then quick cook some cappellini and add parm and we're set. Will do a simple green salad as well. Scale is at 172.0, so slowly getting back down to ticker. God forbid I change that ticker UP.

Last night I made some pineapple sorbet to freeze up and enjoyed for dessert later after DH mowed most of the yard. It was so easy and yummy and used up the rest of our overly ripe pineapple.

Bill - I was thinking yesterday when shopping, would I spend MORE when I stop working (way down the line, but I can dream...) because I'd have more time to browse? Then realized, No. I don't enjoy it that much to spend time that could be spent somewhere else. But boy, I do love a good deal!

Another credit - am HUNGRY now this afternoon - apparently the lighter lunch wasn't enough to hold me. Thought might be thirsty, but still hungry. Rummaging in my desk drawer, found a bag of doritos and ate half and threw the rest away. Kept to to around 100 calories and while i didn't NEED it to survive, it could have been worse. Bypassed free food earlier in the kitchen area, and also had brought in homemade banana bread muffins for our staff, and they went quickly and I didn't take one.

Karen - Thank you - I never knew what the person in the lab taking blood was called. I know my mom used to get so bruised up from attempts to take her blood, I'd feel so bad for her. I don't think my DH would be ok with salad much - it's ok if it's part of the meal, but not the main course too often.

GardenerJoy - What is it that your frustration is stemming from?

Finished a good book last night - Sustainable Happiness - Live Simply, Live Well, Make a Difference. Many good points in there. Will sit with my journal and the kindle version tonight and jot a few more things down for contemplation.

This has been open too long (hours) and I don't want to lose it.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #50  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Struggles today were fewer but I became really depressed this evening. I need to remove some stressors asap. I need to get back to taking care of me and my needs. I've neglected some of the long term project that are good for me. I have to get to the other side with the decluttering issues. I have to make time for exercise that is challenging. I just have to put my needs first and get rid of the stuff that no longer fits me. Time for some changes.

Foodwise better again but still some wobbles. I weighed and was 268.7 so not at 270 due to my actions of drinking water and eating less junk. Yay. My desire to see the scale fall is continuing to grow, as is the confidential yes, I can lose weight. It's a relief to feel this once more.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:53 AM   #51  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Coaches,

Credits, weighed and logged, on plan with food, staying on plan with weights. Could do better in getting the rest of my life going.

onebyone Do you find you struggle more with depression when you first get back on track? I do sometimes, I had a few random just crushing depression days early on. Just curious if it might be related to blood sugar changes or something. Anyway and good to have the fire going again.

nationalparker that dinner sounds faboulous. And no, the ticker only goes down!

to all
Old 06-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #52  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - The Republic of Iceland established (1944)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, even though that included an evening event where I sat before a coffee table with snacks for some two hours without indulging. All my allocated snacks were consumed with unsalted, roasted almonds. The 'unsalted' part triggers the good-for-me cells in my brain.

Walked, CREDIT moi, searching for electric vehicles. I remember, long ago, when I walked searching for plants and birds, LOL.

onebyone – Monster Kudos for working on "my needs first."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder that it's an ongoing process, "I got a bit off track, but I'm learning things."

maryann - Kudos for "only planning to see people I like."

nationalparker – Super Kudos for "limited myself to four tortilla chips."

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for working to make that class a regular event. [Mangoes at two for a dollar is a good price.]

Sandy (love2garden) - Super that you're not sore from so much gardening.

ennay - Kudos for keeping up with the weights even when so busy.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#4 The Me-First Mule Trap

I sensed that Maxine needed more fortification. I asked her if she cold think of a time when she stood up to her husband on a nonfood matter. She thought about it. "Yes, a couple of weeks ago. Mike wanted to take our son Tim to a movie that I thought would be too scary. Mike was pretty stubborn, but he did listen to reason."

"Great example," I said. "So if you feel like backing down about the two-dinner issue, can you remind yourself of how successful you were in standing up to Mike to protect Tim?" Maxine summarized our discussion on a reminder card:
I stood up to Mike for Tim's sake, and I can stand
up to him on my own behalf. This shows me that
when I think something is important, I can do it!
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 119
Old 06-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #53  

Good morning coaches,

Food still on plan yesterday, credit, and have done my neighborhood walk and class at the Y this morning, credit. The Thursday instructor is even better than the Tuesday gal, but I like them both. I must keep going. I'm sure this upper body in particular would look better and be stronger if I keep at it. One of the gals asked if I was going to stay for Yoga. Greta is probably 75 and is in terrific shape. She is at the Y every time that I go and takes numerous classes. I think I just may stay for Yoga one of these days. I'm sure that would be good for me too.

Have a great day everybody!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #54  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Hi coaches!

Credits - weighed and logged, food on plan, got my walk in with a few very short running intervals.

BBE - good on avoiding those snacks! That is so tough. But i think it is easier to have zero than "a little"

karenrn weights are awesome! I should start taking yoga again. I can't figure out why my pregnant belly did NOT get in my way for yoga, but my current belly does. Probably because I did yoga the whole pregnancy, but not the whole weight gain. I wish i had gotten a picture of me in full backbend when I was 8 months. That was probably hilarious.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:33 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Tristan and Isolde premiers (Munich, 1865)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Entertainment was having three neighborhood kids 'help' me plug in my car to charge the traction battery. It's a two minute job - about 20 minutes with that much help, LOL.

My life is redirected by a tiny water run in one of the toilets. The water just goes into the bowl so there's no damage, but the waste of water drives DW crazy. So I have to fix some plumbing that old enough that easy repair isn't going to happen. My plumbing skills are rusty. At least I didn't eat about it. CREDIT moi for responding to the reality of priorities.

Karen (karenrn) - It's neat to be reminded that some folks are in terrific shape at 75.

ennay - It is, indeed, boggling to think of doing yoga that late in pregnancy. Kudos for getting in some running with your walking.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#4 The Me-First Mule Trap

When Maxine returned the following week, I asked her how it had gone. "Actually, he seemed a little surprised that I stood up to him. He did give me kind of a hard time at first. But then I stuck to my guns and limited myself to just a salad every night. And now I think he accepts it."

"That's terrific!" I replied. It was a real triumph for Maxine, the first of several. Mike gave her plenty of opportunity to practice being assertive. He was really a classic example of a me-first mule.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 120

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-11-2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Typo: male => mule, LOL.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in. Well, I did it. I turned in my key at my old school. It took days to finish projects and dig out. The last moments were emotional. I'm not sure if it contributed to a pound gain at WW or not. It might have spurred on a big fight with DH. I know it led to unplanned Milkyways. So, not easy.
Credits:
I talked through things with DH. I think we reached new ground which is great in a 15 year marriage.
I am starting fresh at work. After a chat with a new boss I realized I am just another newbie and will have to earn my stripes. Humbling but a great growth opportunity.
I am not giving up on WW. It feels right. I can do this.

Loved nationalparker's quote about the intersection of my talents and the world's needs. Things are looking up.

Last edited by maryann; 06-10-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #57  

Good morning coaches,

Stayed on plan yesterday, credit. Calories on the higher end of plan or I guesstimated higher as we were out for happy hour and I had hummus with pita, a couple of very small lamb meatballs and a piece of margarita flatbread. My drinks were Diet Pepsi. I told dh on the way that I was going to be drinking diet soda, not that he would care, but so that I wouldn't change my mind. As always when I set my mind to it, no big deal. We had a nice visit with our friend and her family that are here for a visit from Nebraska. We hadn't seen them in years. In the afternoon I saw the movie Love and Friendship and enjoyed it. Loved the costumes.

This morning I did my Bell Pass hike. It was 78 degrees with a little breeze and below 85 when I finished. Quite pleasant and it's a little hazy so the sun was never hot. No real plans for the day, but I will likely do some housework. I see I was too late to get to some of the movies and they are now gone. I'll have to revise my list. Also, my Camino friend Sandee will be calling today for some planning discussion. It's time to send for our Credential that we'll have stamped along the way. It can't be requested until 3 months prior to the start of our journey, and can you believe it is that close already? I'm still not that focused on it since I have several other trips coming up before that.

Ennay Do you follow a particular program, book or anything for your weights?

Bill It sounds like your new car is a hit with everyone. How fun for the kids to help plug it in. I hope the plumbing job is a quick fix. Dh has become quite adept at fixing the toilets when they run.

Maryann Thinking of you as you navigate all the changes in your life. Exciting positive changes, but stressful nonetheless.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #58  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

karenrn I follow Stronglifts 5x5. If you are new to lifting you really need to focus on form and start light enough so form doesnt degrade - some dont like SL5x5 for novice for that reason. The first couple weeks should be very very easy.

I hear Starting Strength is pretty good as is New Rules of Lifting for Women. All of them are geared to free weights.

What I like about Stronglifts is it is very efficient. Even when I get into the heavier weights with more warmup sets, I am done fairly quickly, and it is effective. Stronglifts focuses solely on the big 5. Barbell Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Barbell Press, Bent-over Barbell Row and Deadlift. That's it. You don't spend a lot of time with the small muscles or any kind of isolation work unless you get stuck in the progression. There are ways to adapt it if the Barbell is too much to start. The app is nice. I paid the small one-time fee for the upgraded app because I like the tracking of the warmup sets (which don't happen until you get to higher weights) and the weight plater (because adding up how many plates to put on when you are worn out is tougher than it should be! And I am a math person!). And I have to say the rest timer is usefull because I tend to skimp on recovery time between sets, and my gym doesnt have enough clocks. I own small plates that I bring with me to the gym. At a certain point progressing at 5 lbs is too much for most women for the upper body stuff. I do the 5 lb progression until I fail the first time, then after that I cut it back to a 2 lb progression, or even a 1 if need be.

maryann and I know you will be great at the new place!

BBE ugh - plumbing. We have a toilet that for whatever reason we have to replace the seal in the tank every 6 months or it starts running.

Last edited by ennay; 06-10-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #59  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Phooey - trying to stay off the computer at night but wanted to do a quick checkin. NOT OP yesterday but today has been okay. trying to decide if I'm going to get back to the MFP logging in again until I can get down a bit more - but gosh almighty something in me just detests the whole and complete food focus instead of just adding in more veggies or cutting portions. I would SAY those aren't working but I'm not doing both of them yet.

So thankful that it's Friday and have two days off with DH - he's OFF this weekend, too! yay!

DH's aunt is being moved to another hospice - initially they said two weeks to two months but now they're thinking inside two weeks. Will prep a few things to take to his mom's - coffee cake, muffins, lasagna, etc. ... they'll have people stopping by, I know.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #60  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Captain Cook discovers Great Barrier Reef (Australia, 1770)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Ooops. First pass at fixing the toilet failed. The easy fix of leaving half of an old copper fitting in place and only replacing the easy half failed. Replacing the fill valve in the toilet is easy-peasy; it's the shut-off valve to the toilet that's the challenge. I have to do more drastic effort this afternoon.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping for a long-overdue haircut. My Vietnamese barber always makes a polite observation that "It's been a long time" to let me know that I'm supposed to come more often. A Tesla was charging at the Charging Station in the local supermarket. I discovered another mini-library that I'd never seen before, but I took no books. It was chili around here yesterday. Dinner on the patio required a jacket or long-sleeved shirt.

maryann - Kudos for marching forth even though, "So, not easy."

nationalparker – Yay for a weekend with your DH. Sending supportive thoughts as you support the family of your Aunt in hospice.

Karen (karenrn) - I, too, can't believe that you're less than three months until your Camino walk. Kudos for behaving rationally in the face of "very small lamb meatballs."

ennay - Neat that you bring your own plates to the gym so that you can have the spacing between sizes that you need.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Me-First Mule Trap

If you have never lived with someone like Mike, you might think that Maxine is a pushover. But take a look at your interactions with family members; you may find some similarities. If you have a me-first mule in your life, you need to learn to be assertive. You may never be able to convince the mule to consider the needs of others in the stable. But if you are firm and persistent, you can nicely and assertively insist on making changes that are important for your well-being. Some of the following tips may apply in your situation:
  • If you think it will help, talk about the importance of your being healthy and how being unhealthy is negatively affecting you in specific ways (and if relevant, how it's negatively affecting others, especially the me-first mule).
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 120
Closed Thread