Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #31  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Farmer's market opens today! Holy moly, I think this is the first real thing that has made me realize it is actually May, not still "early spring". Hoping to find some good asparagus and some basil starts, but only have a few minutes because ds has a baseball game 40 minutes away.

All the carrots and beans I planted a couple weeks ago are showing their leaves, my beets actually are growing this year (I have had 2 prior attempt at beets where SOMETHING ate them all when they were still in the leafing stage) And I had to hill over my first potato yesterday. And all my arugula is ready to pick. Normally we dont plant tomatoes/peppers/eggplants around here until closer to June so I grew spring crops in their spots but the weather is indicating it would be safe to plant now....if I had space. My beets and rabe get 3 more weeks and then they are evicted so I can put in the tomatoes. I may have baby beets and baby rabe - yum!

PS - I know I am posting a lot. 3FC is my main "distraction" technique and it isnt overall as busy as it was in 2006.

Last edited by ennay; 05-04-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #32  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

CurlyJax - I'm so, so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. I wish you so much positive vibes that they can treat it successfully, hopefully painlessly while retaining quality to his life. I wish you strength to get through this trial - you have had such a hard road recently. These are times when I wish we also met in person - to be able to share a non-virtual hug and to be able to lend a helping hand in any way possible. Take care of YOU, as well. I cannot imagine going through that with my DH and I wish you some peace of mind when treatment plan is set forth and you feel you're moving on the attack.

Ennay - Just a quick note to say, "pop in all you can!" I go through times in the summer and holidays when I feel I need to check in morning and night as a distraction and to keep myself on track. Today I'm going to check back in tonight but wanted to extend hugs to CJ earlier.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #33  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

AAAAAAAAH my first challenge is coming sooner than I thought! I just realized this weekend was mother's day and I was all preparing, called dh to get steaks from the good place , figured we would have his mom over for dinner on Sunday. I can do that kind of thing with a little shuffling of calories and maybe decide on a few extra. Which he wants to do. So we are doing that. But, in ADDITION, he wants to take her to Elmers (like a west coast WaffleHouse) for breakfast on Saturday. That is much harder for me. In part because part of my plan is an eating window, which opens at 11. I am ok with opening it earlier, but breakfast is the meal that has to be just so for me. Plus I thought we had dinner out plans for that night so I had kind of been planning on staging for a dinner out. thhhhhhhbbbbttt.

I have to do this all without mentioning the words diet to dh. yeah yeah, I know, tell your family, but dh's ways of dealing with my dieting are just best left silent.

OK off to MFP to sort all this out and figure what can be done.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #34  
Enjoying la bella vita

An OP for the most part day and I'm taking that as a win today. Felt like I was on the run the whole day at work with issues, right up to the time I shut down and left. Straight home and got dinner started. Easy enough - onion roasted potatoes in the oven with chicken romano and a fresh romaine salad. I am out of salad fixings, though - it was pretty slim pickings there. Scale is up and taunting me. I DID have a small dish of vanilla ice cream with less than a tbsp of caramel sauce that was a christmas gift that I keep finding in the fridge. It's a gourmet one and quite delish, so a little goes a long way. But the only reason I wanted it was to get rid of that ice cream container and because I saw the jar of salty caramel sauce, it's called. MIND/EYE games.

Credit - wanted WAY more potatoes than I took. I did pop one more chunk in my mouth when I got up but could easily have eaten a whole 'nother serving of them. So credit not for wanting them but for refraining. Credit for eating less when I came home - measured out a cup of raisin bran and a cup of milk. Usually go with less milk but this filled me up. Credit, too, for not overplanning our evenings while work is so hectic and being content with early bedtime, not wiped out trying to cram a movie in and rolling into bed at midnight. Seems not worth mentioning but I know that sets me up to overeat.

Ennay - Can you ask DH if he'd take his mom to breakfast on Saturday as some alone mom/son time and you do something that particularly speaks to you or meet up with a friend?

Lexxiss - Looking forward to hearing about your hubby's trip - hope it was grand!

OneByOne - Hugs to you as you put that day to rest. Hang in there. Sometimes I do the same with trying to get something out of my mind - it seems I either stretch it out so long that it's no longer fresh/good or go to town on it. I am seeking that middle ground of savoring without it being a mind game.

CurlyJax - I remember coming here and also talking to my cousin about how hard the mental spot was for me to stress about my food intake when my parents were unable to eat anything ... I felt like it was so selfish. But everyone told me that I needed to keep myself strong and it helped me to keep it nutritious.

Bill - Safe travels! Hope it's a fun trip. It's amazing the memories that music brings forth. DH and I are opposite on music - I asked him to put on some nice music while I prepped dinner last night. He chose Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. I was reeling. The night before I'd chosen The Rat Pack. And I'm not 20 years older than he is Have you been to Seattle's music experience museum? I can't remember the exact name, but it is probably one you'd enjoy.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 176/175.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Good evening coaches! A quick check in just so I don't miss two nights in a row. Exhausted. Had consult with periodontist today - had been quite worried but went well, feeling better about things. Ate pretty well considering. Didn't make time for diet things I should have made time for. Getting some sleep tonight and hopefully having a nice quiet day tomorrow. Waiting to hear back if my application to adopt a shelter cat has been approved, hoping to hear tomorrow. Looking for a good boy name that starts with D. He is a very handsome long haired cat, thinking of Mr. Darcy possibly. Weight staying about the same. Credit for stopping by and posting on here.

curlyjax So very sorry to hear the news. Will definitely keep you and him and your family in my thoughts.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 AM   #36  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Baseball may save me. We normally practice on Friday nights but ds's coach wants to move it to Saturday morning. Grandma wont want to go without the kiddos.

credits:- weighed and recorded
Meals planned
Stopped myself from biting the remnant end of carrot from dd’s lunch (she peels a carrot and tends to leave about 1 “ of peeled carrot behind when she cuts her veggies.
Distracted myself from hunger when it wasnt time to eat
Ate slowly and sitting for breakfast and lunch. dinner I kind of scarfed down. Sitting but quickly.

Did make some adjustments to the plan. Wednesdays are going to take some rearranging as I have class when I normally have lunch and then ds's baseball means either a super early dinner or a super late dinner. I think I may go with a bigger and maybe slightly later breakfast - closer to noon, have lunch at 4pm and then dinner at 9 pm.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #37  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Cinco de Mayo (Puebla de Los Angeles, Mexico, 1862)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My planned evening walk got washed away with just too much rain to make it sure that I'd arrive dry. Drat! I spent the day getting stuff done that's required before leaving home for four days, including yet-another trip to a brick and mortar store to buy another shirt for the trip. I almost have a whole new wardrobe given that I've a tendency to wear only a few items anyway.

Food was good, CREDIT moi. I did allow myself an evening snack while I sat before a coffee table filled with treats. I avoided the olives since all the goodness they're full of includes abundant calories. I did learn that a friend had successfully changed from saying that she was born in Czechoslovakia to Czech Republic but absolutely was never going to say Czechia.

onebyone – Ouch for a bad day in "zombie lunatic" mode - with Kudos for your clarity in seeing it exactly as it happened. A good scolding from your Dental Hygienist might just make you feel better.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Sounds like you're going to meet yourself coming and going this morning. Hope that nap is enough to keep you awake.

nationalparker – LOL at "MIND/EYE games" - that 25% of the brain that services the eyes seems to also service the stomach. [Will have to add "Seattle's music experience museum" to my Bucket List.]

curlyjax - Sending supportive thoughts as you and your DH face this new challenge. I have several friends who just keep marching along in their post-treatment phase. Feel free to read and post however it fits your needs of the day. We can be here for you. Sometimes it's easier to rant to faceless on-line friends.

lizardnumbers - It's so hard to think rationally when exhausted; hope you find time to get some sound sleep. "Mr. Darcy" is a neat name.

ennay - Hope that sore jaw thing passes quickly. Yay for arugula and all your veggies - you're way ahead of us. (Posting a lot is just fine; some of us think in one batch, some in small thoughts.)

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#1: The Criticizer Trap

A few days after our session, Mia told me that she had unexpectedly gotten a chance to practice her new strategy. Her mother had called, announced that she was coming to town, and told Mia she wanted to have dinner with her. Mia was pleased with how she handled herself at the restaurant. She was able to limit her mother's negative remarks by being assertive and changing the subject. And then she was able to put on her "raincoat" and let her mother's comments roll off her back. She really took control of the situation.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 108
Old 05-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #38  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Morning all

Having a hard time figuring out what to make for dinner tonight. Thursday is one of the few nights we can eat as a family and I actually have time to cook and not rely on one of my stashed meals. I wonder if it will be cool enough to make a roast. It's not really roast weather but beef has been really high on my list of proteins that sound good for leftovers. But having a roast today and steak on Sunday may be pushing it. Maybe I will see what the fish counter looks like today.

Did not make it to the farmer's market. I think the farmers market will not be seen until after baseball season is over. I haven't figured out how to feed the kid and get him to his game and squeeze that in.

My hunger level has been constant and distracting the last couple days. I may need to top off the tank soon. I've had better consistency in the past with holding a lower baseline number and occasionally having a high day than trying to have a slightly higher baseline. I'm trying to push through to the weekend as even with careful planning I am not seeing Mother's day coming in within target.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,Coaches.

Weight is a pound above ticker.
Seventh month of no sweets at work as I sort out the personalized M&Ms I ordered for our school's reading "cookie decorating event."
Two OP lunches made for today and tomorrow
Two nice outfits planned so I can feel good about the way I look.

This week I have spent much of the time battling our union which wants to strike. Battling consists of sitting in groups large and small and asking lots and lots of questions to deflate the ridiculous rhetoric flying around. One woman said, "Now I will be out on medical in May, but I don't want to miss the fun so I'm glad you're not striking until June." The fun. The fun. I can't believe the ignorance. Our union leadership is corrupt and has cemented lines of hatred between the two negotiating parties. There is nothing to do but hold my truth and continue to ask for negotiating. I dread crossing the picket line. This all makes me very hungry. But I have a plan (see above) and even though I woke at 2 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep, I do not have to eat over anything.

curleyjax: Your news put my week immediately into perspective. My heart is filled with sorrow for your family. I pray for strength for you to walk through this illness. You are loved.

ennay: Congrats on working out the waffle house event. I face these events time and time again. Some I workout successfully. Some I fail at miserably. Over time, I continue to extend to myself grace and comfort. I have learned to say "No, I can't celebrate that way" more often even though people roll their eyes at me (or I imagine they do.) In any case, when I do slip up I remember it is not how many bites I compulsively overeat, it is how many times I hop right back on plan.

Last edited by maryann; 05-05-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #40  
Enjoying la bella vita

Asked to work from home this afternoon between volunteering gig and PT at 4 - easier to drive home after the first and not waste drive time to PT later in workday. My challenge, though, is the food here on a stressful day. Lunch was cheese sandwich, which set off warning bells for me because I don't want to settle on that often (though I honestly feel that is fine - it's a common lunch in many countries), because it's my "fat girl food" ... Like they call ranch dressing fat girl sauce, this is what I ate when I put on weight years ago. This was counted on MFP, bread weighed, etc. so it wasn't off the charts, but I added a See's butterscotch chocolate to seal the deal. Now have cup of hot tea. Wanted to check in early as DH and I have some errands tonight - finish up mother's day and get the marketing done for his grilling.

I put on a pot roast (thank you, Ennay!) for DH. I'll eat the carrots/onions/potatoes and have salad instead of the beef. I stopped along the way home and picked that and peas up to get it started so it could simmer all day until I head out. Smells like my mom's kitchen.

Weight still a pound above ticker. As it's Thursday, I doubt I'll be at 171.x by the weekend. I always seem to drop, then go up, then stay up for a while before dropping down. It's like it teases me. Or like I don't back up solid choices long enough -- hmmm.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #41  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I am unreasonably happy to discover this morning that since May 1, MFP has been using the wrong "coffee at home" which is what I have as a recipe for the way I make my coffee. I don't know why I dont just log almond milk, I think because it is easier to remember if I log after. Anyway, MY coffee at home is 35 calories a day for 2 servings - The one I have been logging was 95. An extra 60 calories for my breakfast. Woot! (today I spent it on V8)

nationalparker hah! I am glad I solved your dinner dilemma, now to work on mine. I don't think I will make it to the good meat store and back in time to start a roast. I think it will be fish tonight.

I am procrastinating right now. The downside of living in a small town is a long drive to everything.

Last edited by ennay; 05-05-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #42  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

264.6 today. Down 6.6 lbs after an evening, and a night, and a day spent suffering food poisoning in all the ways it can manifest. I also fell into caffeine withdrawal and had massive headache I could do little about. Wow. Today slept until 1 but still feel nauseous but better. Looking forward to a bath when DH gets home. He's bringing me unsalted crackers, gingerale and a tub stopper.

Going back to bed now.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-05-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #43  

Height: 5' 2"

Curleyjax Prayers for your husband, for you and for your family. Hope soon you can celebrate as my friend did, she is 3 years cured of cancer. Hope you both can say that before long.

Thankful for the rain I've been wanting, we've had almost a months worth in past week. Luckily I finished planting veggies before the rain hits.

Food has not been close to plan. Haven't been home much either. New day tomorrow.

Sandy
Old 05-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #44  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

pretty good day today. didn't preplan the whole day but did plan before each meal and stick to it and my numbers all came out good. Caught myself a few times reaching for standing food. Hadn't realized how much of a habit it was to cut carrots and eat the last slice, etc. I think this is going to be my focus skill for awhile. With the exception of my evening treat I have been eating all my meals at the dining table - not at the computer.

Ended up doing a Baked "poached" fish in a cilantro-lime-garlic marinade. So good, will have to do that again. Will make good fish tacos for my lunch tomorrow.

hunger level was back in control today, I don't know if it was the extra calories at breakfast or finally getting past that initial settle.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

I'll be glad when today is over - cookie decorating with 400 kids plus raffle and a thunderstorm.

Went to open house last night and every single teacher of DS raved about what a great kid he was. Two said he was getting an award. He was bright and personable, but most importantly, many of them mentioned how kind he was. That is the real thrill. I feel lots of gratitude. I think about my struggles of the last six months with both depression and physical stuff and am so glad I continued to pursue working on them if only so those troubles didn't bring my beautiful boy down.

Ennay: My skill for the week that I need to practice is standing while eating. I think sometimes I stand because I don't WANT to be conscious of anything much less food. I want to be vague and detached - especially in hire pressure weeks like this one.

Love2garden: Good for you for posting even when things are way off plan. That is the real success skill.

nationalparker: Yes, the weight joggles are frustrating. It almost makes me not want to way everyday because when I get a number that shows real progress, I seem to sabotage myself. Still the accountability of daily weighing is too precious to pass up.

Last edited by maryann; 05-06-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Closed Thread