3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:47 AM   #16
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A brief check in. It's my early day at work and I have lots to do before. Yesterday, water, weighed, weights, and wrote it down. Credit. The 4 W's. I did not eat at work. Had a healthy dinner planned and succumbed to moms wanting to go out to the rib place. I really thought it through, ala Beck. Decision to go based on fact that DH returns tomorrow and this week was a good week to be spontaneous w/mom who is 94. We had a nice dinner and I did not have seconds even though it was all you can eat. I find it very pleasing not to leave with that totally stuffed feeling.

Karen, wonderful journey!

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #17
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome ennay

ennay

And, in case you didn't get one of these 9+ years ago,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you happen to wander over to this Beck forum here on 3FC?
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years and 6 months
Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - World Press Freedom Day (U.N., since 1993)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walked, CREDIT moi, to class and back in the rain. I'm getting good at this. I miss the rain coats, rain pants, and boots that the little kids wear to school. In truth, what I really miss is the right to just dump them on the floor were an grown-up has to pick them up. Nothing looks happier than a kid splashing in a puddle.

Food was OK - the standard: meals superb and snacks just out of bounds. Dinner didn't start until 8 p.m. so there wasn't much time afterward to snack. However, waiting that late opened a window that allowed some almonds to be a late afternoon snack.

onebyone Selling 19 pottery pieces is a strong affirmation of your work - Congratulations!

Joy (gardenerjoy) You're working the same issue that I keep facing: sometimes I leave here pretty early for an evening affair - some with food and some without.

Debbie (Lexxiss) I sure hope I'm going as strong as your mom at 94. Always Kudos for one serving at an all-you-can-eat place.

maryann - Thanks for, "two o'clock will come no matter what" - such a good mantra through a tough situation.

nationalparker Yep, too many raspberries is just the right number. Yay for good life progress with your SDD.

Karen (karenrn) - I just love that I know about all the trails that you listed for your Grand Canyon hike - not from hiking, but from our rafting trip. It's still on my Bucket List to get to the north rim.

ennay - The books are really interesting. The great thing is to get past the notion that Cognitive Behavior Therapy is simplistic and the strategies too simple to be useful. After you start up, it begins to make sense. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#1: The Criticizer Trap

Mia decided she would try to forestall her mother's negative comments by saying that exact sentence to her over the phone before she left New York. "And if she starts in with me, I'll tell her to stop." She smiled. "As a lawyer, I've learned how to be firm." To help her prepare for the visit, Mia make the following list:
Weekend Visit Home
  1. Call Mom before the weekend. Tell her I know she's concerned about my weight - but it's counterproductive when she says anything about my eating.

2. If she protests, nicely but firmly say, "Please stop. I don't want to discuss it."

3. Then change the subject - ask her about the weekend plans or how other family members are doing.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 107
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years and 6 months
Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #19
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
ennay

And, in case you didn't get one of these 9+ years ago,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you happen to wander over to this Beck forum here on 3FC?
I started posting in 3FC again about a week ago and I was looking at the "Todays posts" section and was drawn here by the decluttering thread yesterday. So I poked around. I think I had vaguely heard of the books when I was here before, but the reviews you linked were written by someone who was a good 3FC buddy back in the day, so that helped.

I got the second book yesterday, I am reading now. (It seemed by the review that if I got the second book I would not need the first book? True?) Behavioral is an area where I need some focus so I am intrigued to try some of the techniques.

So I am going to give myself credit this weekend for recording everything even though it was largely off plan. Credit for getting back on track yesterday and for starting to work out a new strategy for baseball tournament weekends. Credit for weighing & updating ticker - down 1.6

Last edited by ennay; 05-03-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is two meals out. But I did exactly this same thing two weeks ago and will probably do it two weeks from now. There are good choices on the menus and I will choose those. My notes from two weeks ago say that I did fine with the meals but super-sized my snacks -- so I'm going to be careful about that and rely on fruit, herbal tea, and water to help me feel satisfied.

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +40, 75/1000 minutes for May, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, ennay! I used the second book on its own and it's still my favorite. When I needed a boost, I went back to the first book and even bought and read some of the new third book. But, yes, you can learn all you need from just the second book.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #21

S/C/G: 173/ 163/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Quiet morning and then off to Drs. in the city and music lessons with son an hour in the other direction. I will take care of myself by having a quiet morning and also by wearing my sneakers to get a walk in while DS is in lessons. I have been exercising most days and that feels good. One week of new cleanse diet and I have seen only a pound drop. Wow. This week, I will focus on continuing with more veggies and sitting down while I eat.

nationalparker: I understand the project energy. I feel if I can just get past Friday all will be well and it will be easy to stay on plan. But if that were true I would be down to goal weight. Everyday for me has to be mindful, even the days I anxiously await work. As you said, this stuff is insidious and I don't always get it.

BBE: I will match you in rain this week thank goodness but no one here wears raincoats or boots. We just scurry around in heals and shorts like a bunch of chickens. Rain is mythical. Few of us believe it will ever come despite forecasts.

Lexxiss: Big congrats at no eating at work. I am now starting my seventh month of no sweets at work. That boundary has been so helpful to me.

Ennay: Welcome. This blog has been a constant source of support for me.

Last edited by maryann; 05-03-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #22
Boston Qualifier and MOM

maryann - Taking advantage of that lesson time makes the lessons less painful too! "everyday for me has to be mindful". I think that is where my biggest resistance comes. When I lost before my focus shifted to my running. One of my "symptoms" is that I left here and went to a running forum, which would have been fine if I had done a little of both but I had a hard time DOING both. When I had my first accident, I really resisted returning to what had worked before. My focus was still really on returning to running, not losing the post accident weight first. I was able to maintain without quite as much mindfulness, but only because I was an exercise machine. I never really learned good control over the food.

thanks gardnerjoy, billblueeyes, nationalparker for the welcomes!

Meals planned for today and after I eat I am going grocery shopping. Already have to make a swap because the kiddos packed all my breakfast strawberries in their lunch!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #23
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Another day of more than I needed but credits for stopping partway through my lunch and saying, "that's enough ... not hungry anymore" and for - well, this is a sideways credit - taking a See's chocolate and then putting it back because I remembered I'd already had ffsf vanilla pudding. A very small serving in a prep cup, but it was a treat nonetheless. Dinner was decided on the drive home - a package of chicken breasts was thawed and so I stopped for lemons, and made chicken piccata pasta toss. I think I'll just make chicken piccata next time. I make it once a year and honestly, I don't love the lemony sauce on the pasta.Took one of the add'l breasts and made a different recipe with it, splitting that breast into two - dinner tomorrow night. Poor DH. It's always poultry or beans here.

Goal for tomorrow: come home at lunch early and NOT eat anything extra bc I'm home. OP day. I need to get better at planning ALL three meals. I don't really need snacks and when I add them in, I then think I need one the next day - hungry or not.

Oh, another credit - sat in on a meeting in another department and get this - they were having a donut taste test - 10 different donuts, all cut in quarters, I guess. Maybe fifths. Anyway, you were to test each and vote for your favorite. The organizer made a point of inviting me to stick around for it; I declined and said that's just way too much temptation for me, and slid out before they moved on to that. There were STACKS of cut donuts on tables around the room's perimeter. Interesting.

So close ... now so far!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #24
Boston Qualifier and MOM

credit? - I was plating up dinner and had pre-logged everything in MFP this morning. Plated out the pork and my heart kind of crumbled because it was a very very tiny amount. I couldnt believe I had planned such a small amount. Then I started plating out the sweet potatoes and I scooped out the 100g and I looked at my plate. I had accidentally pre-planned 200 g of sweet potatoes which is WAY too much. Recalculated dinner - 6 oz of pork instead of 4 is a big difference.

credit - I have tomorrows meals planned. Credit - I stopped tonight at dinner although I really wanted more pork. credit - I ate slowly most of the time today. Caught myself speeding up a few times. I thought I was sitting down all the time but just as I started lunch I realized I had carrot in my mouth, clearly during prep I popped some in. No recall.

Out of curiosity - how specific are you with the rigidiity of planning? By that I mean, I had planned green beans for tonight and at the store the green beans looked awful - withered. Across the way was a big asparagus display. As it turned out they were all fat and my family likes skinny asparagus so I ended up buying frozen beans, but would you make that swap on the fly or would you do the stick.to.the.plan. I don't ever fathom being rigid about swapping out nutritionally similar items on the fly - especially as the garden season progresses.

I keep 140 calories in reserve every day - and I don't pre plan it because for 7 years I have struggled with severe GI issues that the doctors have been unable to help with. Quite by accident a few months ago I discovered that it appears that high quality bourbon works wonders. The reason I felt ready to really try again is the last couple months I have been able to manage my attacks with bourbon. Up to 2 oz in the evening as a preventative (~once a week) or if I have had initial symptoms. Or 1T at the moment of a severe attack if it is too early in the day to have a stiff drink. But on days that my stomach has been good then I will choose at the end of the day to use those calories for something else. A treat or wine with dinner or a late snack or sometimes bourbon anyway. Just musing out loud about meshing my current plan with some of the Beck techniques.

Last edited by ennay; 05-03-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:36 AM   #25
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning!

Quick post to say that I've bought a Beck book for my Kindle (think it's the pink one which I've also got as a book). I think the layout will help me to think about things differently.

Ennay! I remember enjoying reading your posts a while ago. Did you used to post on the Ladies Who Lift board? Anyway, very nice to see you. Re the bourbon, I remember my friend always giving her (older) mother a small sherry before her evening meal as, apparently, the digestive juices can be slow to flow in older people and this helped her to digest her food. Not saying you're an old lady (!) but perhaps the bourbon's having a similar effect.

I plan to eat my food sitting down today. Except I'm travelling by car (2.5 hours there and 2.5 back) so I'm going to allow myself to stand up to eat my picnic. I think this is better for my body than remaining hunched up in the car.

Good luck with your day today, everyone.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 AM   #26
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Bird Day (since 1894)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Food was OK. Dinner was quickly heated rotisserie chicken so we could watch the Janis Joplin special. I'd forgotten that her Pearl album was released three months after she died of heroin overdose. I remembered every single one of her songs that they played. I can still get soft hearing Me and Bobby McGee. What a time that was. Hard to believe it was real.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to class again with an umbrella. I'm getting tired of walking in the rain. DW didn't want to walk to our evening event so we could get home in time to watch the Janis Joplin special. Today will be busy: early bird walk, then getting ready to leave tomorrow for four days away. Packing clothes brings up negative stuff.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Remembering that water can satisfy is a challenge for me.

silverbirch Neat to recognized that your break in a 2.5 hour drive is best spent standing rather than sitting. Yay for Beck on Kindle.

maryann - Kudos for using your hour for a walk. [LOL at, "Rain is mythical."]

nationalparker Putting back a See's chocolate is a full Kudos. Those little guys are pure evil. But a donut taste test is a competitor for most-evil.

ennay - So smart to go grocery shopping after eating; tales are frequently posted about the perils of shopping while hungry. I give myself wide range with my plan. I have lists of acceptable foods and only require of myself that I keep to my list. (Raising a toast to fond memories of Anne (AnneWonders) who wrote our reviews of Beck's first two books.)

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#1: The Criticizer Trap

Then we discussed what Mia would do if she was still bothered by her mother's comments even after they had changed the subject. Mia realized that she would need to get her mind off what her mother had said. I told her that some people find it helpful to imagine that comments like these are just insignificant little raindrops sliding down a windshield or off a raincoat into oblivion. Mia liked this metaphor and created a visual image of raindrops sliding down her shiny new white raincoat and falling right off. She added this item to her list.
4. If mom makes comments, take control of the situation. Refuse to talk about it and then let her comments roll off my back, like raindrops off my new raincoat.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 108
Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #27

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
so bad news, it is indeed looking like my husband has cancer. I will occasionally lurk but i can't imagine i will want to keep up posting about losing weight when frankly my husband is wasting away. He is in hospital today and hopefully they are making a plan to move forward with treatment finally. I keep waking up in the middle of the night worrying about how i will manage all this- kids, money, the house, etc.
i have so enjoyed reading this forum as a part of my morning routine, and will try to keep reading, but right now i just feel awful.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #28
Boston Qualifier and MOM

curlyjax - I am so very sorry to hear of this. Of course your focus will be elsewhere. I hope you know that it is ok to come in here and unload any worries or fears that you may feel the need to surpress in your "real life". Sometimes the ability to be rawly honest works better with internet strangers than with family.

silverbirch - hi! yes, I used to be in the ladies who lift forum. I had a long very active stint in 3FC in 2006-2008 and then I came back for awhile after one of my accidents when i was getting back in shape. And while I may not be old, I think my GI system was recycled. My appetite which was usually constant and ravenous - has been since....jr high? has been more normal with the bourbon.

nationalparker that is a lot of work temptations to deal with in one day kudos!

Ended up with kind of a tough evening yesterday. I was very hungry feeling after dinner. Had jaw ache - I spent most of the day thinking and reading about the diet and I've noticed in the past that a hungry day I tend to clench my jaw and I had a really hard time getting it to relax. It is still sore this morning even after last-nights nightcap.

Stuck to the plan though. I've always done a combo of calorie counting/SBD/modified whole foods, but I never was terribly strict before on actually stopping if I was having a hungry day. I may need a higher baseline if i am going to be strict. I might also plan in some calorie cycling.

Weight is down another 1.4 this morning. I've never been one to get the initial drop in weight when starting. Not usually more than 2-3 lbs but my eating habits had gotten much worse than my baseline, so that may be it. I'll give it another week and then look at increasing calories a little

Last edited by ennay; 05-04-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #29
17/254

S/C/G: 291/275restart/273/150

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy keep moving

Curlyjax What terrible news. So very sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. It is good they have figured it out and that he is going to be treated very soon. I wish all the best doctors, treatments, success and luck you can get. And strength for you as you go through this.

Coaches

Fell off the wagon in a way I haven't fallen off a wagon in over a year. Wow. Ate and ate and ate yesterday until I felt sick and full to bursting. Wow. I was *exhausted* and show have simply gone to bed, in the afternoon, but no, instead my foggy brain led me around the kitchen. This after having a super early social media workshop where they promised a light breakfast, which I was counting on cause I was late, and it was: muffins and brownies and some fruit. I ate 2 muffins, a brownie and some fruit. Then at home ate my homemade stew (that was fine) then discovered I was out of my BP pills, called the pharmacy, got gas for the car, and then went into the grocery store like a zombie lunatic and bought all the ingredients for comfort food #1: macaroni with cheese and sauce and ground beef. I am supposed to be low carb and I went to town with the macaroni and ate two big bowls, so there wouldn't be leftovers and just felt horribly sick. This morning the scale showed 271.2 (+8.2 from 3 days ago). Sigh. I know lots of water weight etc. and it will come down fast etc but wow. I feel *wounded*.

Today I have dental hygienist who will read me the riot act. And then I can come home and veg out which is much needed.
I will be on plan today.

Bye for now.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #30
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello coaches!

Curlyjax, I am so sorry to hear of your husbands most probable diagnosis. I send prayers and will keep you in my thoughts. My only sister and two best friends are both in active cancer treatment right now. I must always save a small space to care for myself so I am able to give my best to them. I hope you keep reading here (I dislike "lurk") and that you find a small space for yourself. ((hugs))

My hubby returns from his trip very late this evening and I have lots I would like to accomplish today. I must also plan a nap since I need to leave for the airport at 930 this evening and will not return until very early tomorrow morning (when I'm usually getting up). I guess we will both have jetlag of some sort tomorrow. Food ok yesterday, until evening snack. Not a vast overage of calories just poor behavior. I'm moving forward today and have a plan for both lunch and dinner. Credit. Completed 4-W's yesterday and plan to accomplish that again today.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Closed Thread