Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Noah Webster published dictionary (1828)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to an evening event where I learned how some neat technology is helping track the migration of mammals. For example, it's old news that GPS collars can be used for tracking but it's a spiffy addition that Bluetooth devices added to the collars allow position broadcasts when a similarly tagged animal comes close. It's like a dating app for studying animals. Although a group of doe allow themselves to be corralled by the dominant buck, for the three days a year that matter, a third of the sly does slip off to "expand the gene pool" with a naughty rendezvous. Who'da thunk?

Food was OK. We had dinner at a restaurant that serves a college crowd. That means that portions were HUGE. I skipped the fries and onion rings for a simple cole slaw that helped the calorie count - CREDIT moi for that. My turkey Ruben sandwich naturally came on whole wheat - the college crowd tends toward healthy choices.

onebyone – First time I've heard a scale called "insensitive" - Oh My!

Joy (gardenerjoy) – My brain seems willing to suspend reality rather quickly. Glad to hear that you've found the old, working rules.

FutureFitChick – Neat that you're feeling well enough for a workout.

maryann - Thanks for the sane reminder, "Everyone has to play by the rules."

nationalparker – Yep, "rather bracing" makes it tough to relax outside. Hope your scale serves you.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a trip to plan your Grand Canyon hike.

curlyjax - LOL at "Jack sprat and his wife here" - it does seem to seesaw.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#6: The Willing Accomplice Trap

I suggested that Theresa ask herself, given all the variables involved, whether it was worth it to her to skip dessert after lunch at Suzanne's. She decided it was and made a reminder card.
I can take control of the situation at Suzanne's. I've
given in before, not only because she pushed me to
eat her desserts but also because I really wanted to
eat them. But even more, I want to be able to stay
on track and lose weight. It's important to save my
treat until after dinner, which is when I'll really
enjoy it. Giving in once sets up a cycle of more
giving in, which makes me feel terrible. It's worth it
to resist!
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 101
Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Weight stayed low with a 3rd 100% day in a row. This is the last day of my working week. I will keep to the exact same menu that I have had for three days. And then vary tomorrow. I remember reading that success for weight loss often requires a limit of variations. But i also know that is only short term thinking for me because I rebel from the boredom. But just for today . . . "I'd rather be thinner."

Good luck on deadlines NP and FFC. I feel like I have a month and a half deadline until I am able to start a new work life. There is MUCH to do before I can set sail, however.

gardenerjoy: I absolutely believe in revisiting every rule that worked in the past. In many ways, I am doing that in all aspects of my life.

Last edited by maryann; 04-14-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #108  
Green Tomatoes

My smaller stir-fry portion helped, as did drinking lots of water after supper (I was up in the night to go to the bathroom, but fell asleep again quickly because I wasn't feeling miserably bloated).

Today's challenge is that I expected one big event and it's not happening. That's a gift of a day, but I sometimes end up frittering such days away, and eating too much, then feeling bad about myself. So, off to set some deliberate healthy intentions!

WI: +0.45 kg, Exercise: +40, 430/1000 minutes for April, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #109  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Over on calories by 150 today ...solely because I chose to work from home after the volunteering to save an hour in drive time in the afternoon and hit the pantry like it was a newfound gift. Day was woefully lacking in fruits/veggies.

The longer the week goes on, the more weary I get. Got a lot of household chores done this evening after PT but still a lot to tackle. I'm going to get about an hour done and call it a day. Scale still at ticker today, but fearing that just because, it'll be up tomorrow. But I know what I need to do anyway. No grand thoughts on anything today - just trying to make it through another week, seemingly playing the whack-a-mole game and doing what needs done the most.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 210/204/170-ish

Height: 5'8"

Good evening, coaches. Hope you all had an "on plan" day. And if you didn't, you will tomorrow. Don't give up, don't give in.

I seem to be surrounded by "energy vampires". The people (not family! although sometimes them too) that I am around on a day to day basis seem to be so self-involved. It is always about them. They have done it better, longer, stronger, etc. What happened to our sense of humility? End of rant.

I found some PiYo video workouts on Youtube. Pretty fun, but glad that no one is videotaping me!

Have been diligent to staying on plan and logging everything into MFP for the last week. Numbers at doctor were not so good...cholesterol was 265. I can't take statins as they cause muscle soreness; my mom is the same way. So very much a Mediterranian diet for this gal.

Good night, and have a better tomorrow!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:01 PM   #111  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Thursday or Thorsday

Coaches

Finally. The sun shone (was shining? ) all day long. What a treat. I have sunshine deficit but today helped as did seeing pansies for sale at the local grocery store. They were outside even. Brave little pansies. In another era that sentence would have been an oxymoron, but I digress.

Food was OP today. I wiggled at the end of the night, coming across leftover chicken wings in the kitchen. I snuck one then ate 4. Sigh. But I stopped.

Not sure what the scale will say tomorrow. I have no feelings on this for once.

Better go. Have a good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-14-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Maryann: congrats on your,streak.

Credits: I did the TRX class yesterday. It was not pretty. OP eating today. And went for a run. One of my most powerful and frequently occurring beck-thoughts is: "I am not someone who can skip exercise." Also, "If I don't have time to exercise, then I need new priorities. Nothing is more important than exercise."
Old 04-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #113  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - RMS Titanic sank (North Atlantic, 1912)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was at a function with folks I'd worked with for years. It was fond memories night. One friend had taken up long rides on his BMW motorcycle - a good reminder that new stuff is possible. I did OK for food by ignoring the cheese and crackers before dinner.

Walked to class, CREDIT moi, stopping at a sidewalk micro-library to drop off two books. It's a challenge for me to give up a book that I've read and liked - as if keeping it in my own library serves as a fitting memorial for it. It's neat that our library keeps a record of the books that I've borrowed to which I can add other books. I might start adding to that list all books that I buy and read to see if using that as my 'memorial' makes it easier for me to let books go.

onebyone – Yay for shoned sun. And for brave pansies. And strange words. And the silly English language. Always Kudos for "But I stopped."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for putting your gift day to work intentionally.

maryann - Three Kudos for three days of 100%.

nationalparker – Yep, life is sometimes "whack-a-mole."

flnu - Thanks for "I am not someone who can skip exercise."

Prairie Chicken - Had to google PiYo (Pilates with Yoga) to get some pictures. Looks fun.

Readers -
Quote:

Escape the Willing Accomplice Trap

As with all food pusher traps, you can be your own best advocate or you can be a pushover. But first you need to be clear about your own intentions. Are you giving in partly because you actually want to eat the food that's being pushed? Shortly before entering a situation with a known food pusher:
  • Develop a strong plan for what you will and won't eat. Write it down and carry it with you. Spend a few moments seriously reflecting on your full advantages list. Make sure it's crystal clear why it's worth it to you to turn down food the food pusher is insisting you eat, especially if the food is enticing.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 101
Old 04-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

All food still logged four days now. This is a good thing. Planned gym for weights and Pilates (Prairie Chicken and FLNU: I came to believe even my movement is beautiful after watching the seals on the beach one summer. They loll about and roll on their rolls but they are incredibly beautiful and powerful once in the sea. Still I am also glad I am not being filmed.)

I reread in Beck that a mere 20 extra calories a day will become 2 pounds by the end of the year. Yikes. That seems ridiculous but Oh Well. It is what it is. The same rules for everyone as I said before.

Hope to check in again this afternoon to declare still OP.

Last edited by maryann; 04-15-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #115  
Green Tomatoes

I just talked myself into eating lunch out of my own kitchen. I'm not logging all my food, but I've been making notes of what I ate the day before next to the weight in my spreadsheet. I see a pattern in the last week. If I eat from home, I lose weight. If I don't, I gain. That's motivating!

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +35, 465/1000 minutes for April, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I use Goodreads to keep track of all the books I read. They let you set up a yearly challenge -- any time I add a book with a finished date, it gets counted in my challenge. At the end of the year, they tell me how many books I read. That's just enough fun to keep me doing it. I always set my challenge for 50 books. For the last three years, I've ended up between 70 and 90.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #116  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

This is the first time I'm getting on the computer for non-work stuff - a very busy day in preparation for a work trip on Sunday for a few days. Out at lunch to celebrate a coworker birthday and I chose well from a place with very limited chicken or vegetarian options and the sides are homemade chips, french fries or sweet potato fries. This time instead of saying, I don't need a side, or pack it to go, I said chips please! And proceeded to eat them. Balanced with a lighter dinner but still 250 calories over.

Maryann - I'm hoping that if we just burn 20-25 extra cals a day, then we can nix and drop two extra pounds without any effort... let's see...

Bill - I have never tracked books read and you have me wanting to do that. But I'd have to track books started because sometimes I keep starting the same book and it ends up that I don't like it.

Another shooting here, I'd say within walking distance and it is, but I'd never walk there. It seems like this area is starting to be the wild west with everyone just shooting everyone else.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #117  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default scale issues

Coaches

So today I tried my wii fit scale and it worked. I thought the controllers had finally given up the ghost but no, seems one of them works. So I got on the scale and it was 2lbs heavier but also at night so whatever. This morning with my new, weirdly consistent, scale I saw it give me 265.2--2x and then 267.9-- 2x. I thought it probably needed a new battery. I was ok with that but now my trusty wii fit is back online. What to do? which one to choose? I am afraid the wii fit will give me an extra 2lbs I don't want to see right now. I feel the wii fit is more accurate though.

Really does this matter? Yes. No. I'll see tomorrow.

Today I realized I will be setting up my show at the gallery a week from today. I'm not ready. Not even close. I thought today that I should do a show called Sampler. I could exhibit a little bit of everything I do. Usually at the gallery it's a painting show. They even have rules about no ceramics or prints. I'd have both. I'm not trying to be radical or anything. I just need to put stuff onto walls for two days next weekend. When I picked DH up after he was done work he suggested I do a large "cats and their whiskers" painting. This is a style of work I call my market stuff. Light weight and funny, no idea what else it is. I totally saw the thing in my mind's eye when he said it. Two huge canvases, a few smaller but still big and that's it. Done and fun to do. Am I allowed to do fun work and not serious deep meaning stuff? I don't even know anymore. Do "serious artists" make funny things?

Foodwise you would have been proud of me. I was very hungry but ate... a small cucumber. In other words, I was really REALLY on plan.

And I've decided to explore the local parks and take walks in them. My best friend T in Ottawa sends me emails of his drawings. He is doing one a day in his Moleskine notebook. What an exquisite drawer he is. What a crosshatcher! I am terrible at crosshatching. I've decided to follow his lead and draw something everyday in a small Moleskine "reporter" style notebook. I started today and my mood has improved. Art is good for what ails you.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-15-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

No exercise today. Boo! OP-ish today.

Maryann: that is too funny about the seals. Now will think of seals when I'm rolling around in the TRX straps. LOL.

Prairie Chicken: don't forget to give your self credit for going to the doctor and getting the info you need even if not what you want to hear. Bravo. Med. diet is yummy!

Nationalparker: yikes. Just saw your post re shooting. So awful. On another note, the restaurant put chips actually in my sandwich today. So yes please for me for chips today too.

Last edited by flnu; 04-15-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #119  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyone View Post

And I've decided to explore the local parks and take walks in them. My best friend T in Ottawa sends me emails of his drawings. He is doing one a day in his Moleskine notebook. What an exquisite drawer he is. What a crosshatcher! I am terrible at crosshatching. I've decided to follow his lead and draw something everyday in a small Moleskine "reporter" style notebook. I started today and my mood has improved. Art is good for what ails you.
Great idea, onebyone and T! Good Moleskine-induced mood here, too!

I bought a red Moleskine diary this year as a present to myself. They are Italian and feel lovely to hold and write in. The diary has a tabbed section at the back - brilliant for ongoing notes. Although small, the diary has enough space for me, especially if I rule a column or two. And I use a pencil so I can rub things out - I love writing in pencil.

Cutting to the chase, the diary is working so very well for me that I decided to invest* in a green Moleskine notebook for daily notes about my food and exercise. It's also working beautifully as I feel good every time I use it, and it makes a good pair with the diary. I carry both everywhere and feel sophisticated and prepared. Even though I mostly use my small rucksack which is not particularly sophisticated!

* I say invest because they are more expensive than many notebooks - but I really want to use the diary and the notebook. And using them is the point, isn't it?

My "I don't eat wheat" mantra is working splendidly. It seems to have triggered all my good responses and I'm just sailing along. 7lbs down since around the end of March / beginning of April.

I'm lurking, friends, and also beaming you very good vibes.

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-16-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Queen Anne knighted Isaac Newton (England, 1705)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A new Enrich Your Life event (CREDIT moi): Companhia Urbana de Danca performed at Boston's Institute of Contemporary Art. Just Wow! A bunch of folks from Rio de Janeiro's favelas (slum areas) combined hip-hop, street dancing, and whatever. It was so far outside my normal ventures. Brazil is such a mix of cultures. It happened because we gave my DS and his DW a Christmas gift to attend any two performances of their choice, with us. So we got their company and saw stuff we'd never have chosen.

Food was OK. My walk, CREDIT moi, included noting that some flowering trees are pushing back from the odd inversion of a warm February with a deep cold in April that killed the blossoms that optimistically came out. The Boston Globe wrote of a peach orchard that will have no crop this year because all its trees were suckered.

onebyone"Am I allowed to do fun work and not serious deep meaning stuff?" By the authority granted me as Czar of the Universe, permission granted. It might just be that some of the appeal of your work is that your customers can feel your joy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – With all your interests, I can see that this is a challenge: "If I eat from home, I lose weight." [That's a bunch of books each year. Methinks that I'm capable of just slouching along through a book.]

silverbirch – Super Kudos for "investing" in the Moleskine books that give you pleasure when writing. Yay for the Italian company that captures what we like.

maryann - Wonderful analogy to seals. If they can be so proud then I should certainly be able to look at myself in the mirrors at the gym.

nationalparker – Kudos for making good choices from a restaurant. [I also have the problem that I'm capable of reading a good chunk of a book for the second time before I remember that I've already read it.]

flnu - "OP-ish" is what we get some days. So, Kudos-ish.

Readers -
Quote:

Escape the Willing Accomplice Trap

Shortly before entering a situation with a known food pusher:
  • Review relevant reminder cards. (If you're feeling especially vulnerable, put them in your pocket or purse, and steal into the bathroom for a quick booster during the meal.)
. . .

Closed Thread