Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Quick check in: My first 100% in the books. YEAH! And there was a freakish "sign" from the universe when the scale was five pounds down. How is that possible? I took the batteries out of the scale and put them back in again. 5 pounds down. Why am I willing to accept an inexplicable three pounds up and then discount a five pounds down? Oh yeah! It is just a number. (but I still like today's better )
Food in MFP and long walk planned. Go Team Go. Two 100% days in a row!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #92  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

At the moment, I'm more motivated to change my behaviors based on whether or not I woke in the night feeling bloated. I've started making Response cards labeled Best Practices that are about trying to make sure that doesn't happen. Here are two that I added this week:
  • If I eat lunch out, then I make a lower sodium choice for my afternoon snack.
  • No 2nds (especially if there's soy sauce involved)
WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +40, 350/1000 minutes for April, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: This, I need to remember: "I just have to stay positive so I don't sabotage myself. If I can't be positive then I need to be distracted." I can do that! Be positive or find a non-food distraction.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #93  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

First off I'm happy to report that at least on my screen the ad on the previous post is from REI, not Jenny Craig. I felt like they knew who they were talking to, me.

Weight was stable this morning, not up. Glad about that. I got out for my Bell Pass hike with the backpack and added about 4 more pounds. This morning I carried about 22 pounds and I hope to get up another 5 pounds (the backpack, not me) by the end of the month.

GardenerJoy You are so good about your response cards. I have to confess I've been horrible about reading mine. I guess I need some new ones too.

Maryann I want a "sign" from the universe. Maybe I need some 100% on plan days. Good going! Way to go! Keep it up!

Curlyjax Glad to hear you're getting your energy back. My cold is finally gone too. I was just talking with a friend last night who has had the flu and we both lamented that it just takes longer to get feeling really energetic than it used to.

Bill Yes, you certainly do have some interesting reading material. I remember in Ye Ol Curiosity Shop in Seattle there was some kind of a mummified person. I guess at least it wasn't at the zoo. That's horrible.

Onebyone Sounds like you need a day like Maryann too. Heck, let's all have one. Stay positive and yes, it is so easy to sabotage ourselves.

Nationalparker I can just see you disco dancing on the couch. My husband and I don't really share the same taste in music. He likes classic rock and I guess I'm mostly over it. Luckily we usually drive my car when we go anywhere so it's my radio station. In his car I usually want to start banging my head to the music. Luckily he doesn't like to take his car anywhere he has to park in a lot and have the possibility of a door ding. Mine on the other hand is my SUV trail car and already has a door ding. Dh actually won $100 on the golf tourney for picking the guy that won. We do love Jordan Spieth, but someone had already picked him.

flnu Sounds like you had a good day yesterday. Good luck in having more.

I had such a great hike today and am reading a trail journal from the Pacific Crest Trail hike that it makes me want to do at least a portion of it. Boy do I wish I were younger!

More tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #94  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick note on a darkened kindle while dh sleeps to report an on plan day. I didn't want to wait until tomorrow in case that isn't an on plan performance...under calories despite eating out. Went with one veggie taco at qdoba.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Nationparker: Well done on being under calories and eating out Mexican. I wish my name was interesting but it's not. FNU stands for first name unknown, LNU for last name. Fnulnu is usually already in use on an established site but F. Lnu is always open.

JoyfulJo: Welcome!

BBE: Congrats on well enough. And for finding interesting reads.

Credits:
Ate what I intended and tracked what I ate. Made a very good faith effort to exercise but was thwarted for reasons too tedious to explain. Exercising for sure tomorrow. I'm starting a TRX class at my gym.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:22 PM   #96  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Good day

Coaches

A good day foodwise, good progress on a challenging painting, a good Artrepreneur class tonight, and a good weigh-in seeing 1.9lbs go away. Phew.

I struggled with the snacks at class again though. I mentioned to the very fit dancer whose business is teaching African dance that I was avoiding the snacks. She said she was avoiding them too. I was surprised. She's thin and young and dances for.a.living. she was.also struggling not to eat snacks. I told her (thanks BBE for this) that they were all mass made factory made, not special in anyway. She agreed and instead I took their picture and had coffee. Credit.

Billblueeyes: I just read about Ota Benga the other day. How odd you bring him up. My library has that book as an audio download. I'm going to get it. Thanks. What immediately came to mind for me when I read about Ota were The Dionne Quintuplets. Do you know their story? In depression era Ontario 5 babies were.born to a poor rural family, removed from their parents and raised by the Ontario government in public. Millions of people paid money to see the quints. For a decade or so. The girls.never really recovered from their exploitation. Tragic story.

Gotta go. Hoping the sodium is out of my system and the scale sidles.back to 264 in the morning. I am feeling hungry right now as I head off to bed. That's what I want.

Bye for now.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #97  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Apollo 13 Oxygen tank explodes (200,000 miles from Earth, 1970)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – DW served me lima beans with dinner. Super Yay! She hates lima beans and never ever cooks them. She recently realized that she could buy a bag of them frozen and cook only enough for me while she, pointedly, has a starch like a baked potato. She never wants to me associate lima beans with being a vegetable, LOL. Otherwise, food was good enough.

Exercise was limited due to repeated rain showers. Not good rain like a gardener would like - just enough rain to get you wet when outdoors. DW reported that our Sugar Snaps, planted on a warm March 15th, just before a series of cold days with snow, were up and reaching for the fencing. Congrats to plants for flexibility.

onebyone – What a neat strategy when facing cookies, "I took their picture and had coffee." [I'd forgotten about the Dionne Quintuplets. What a story.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Such a good idea: "Response cards labeled Best Practices" - Beck should steal that one.

maryann - LOL at pulling the batteries after a five pound scale jiggle. Our feeble little minds have their own notion of acceptable.

nationalparker – Kudos for only one taco. I thought they only came in pairs, LOL.

flnu - The Beck strategies simplified: "Ate what I intended and tracked what I ate" - Kudos.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for putting on weight! (I've never said that on this site before.) I've got the Pacific Crest Trail on my Bucket list.

curlyjax - It's a challenge to face a batch of cookies as you pull them from the oven.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#6: The Willing Accomplice Trap

Theresa considered this option. "I'm not sure. I really like saving dessert until after dinner. It helps to have a treat to look forward to all day. And it's not as if I never get to have Suzanne's desserts. We have dinner with my husband's family pretty often, and she always bakes then, too."

Theresa had to fortify her resolve in preparation for Suzanne's food pushing, especially when it came to desserts she really liked and wanted. She needed to practice a compelling response to her sabotaging thoughts. Being firm with a food-pusher is much, mush more difficult if you aren't firm with yourself first.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 101
Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
its beautifully sunny out here today, yay! it does lift ones spirits. I did some easy exercise yesterday, panting all the way through, goodness i am out of shape! today's exercise will be cleaning and tidying up a bit. The nice thing about laundry is you feel virtuous for getting things done, but the machines are doing all the work for you!
I feel like Jack sprat and his wife here- DH still has decreased appetite and has lost weight, while i am secretly eating sweets and gaining. Find those response cards and use them!! That is my goal for today.
Waving to all!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Plan for today is a workout DVD, leftovers for lunch, and I still need to figure out dinner. Things are going well. I'm getting back on top of things slowly! Hope you are all well!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

My second 100% OP day in a row and again the scale rewards. I better not get to use to this. It is a fickle friend.

So, my preliminary summation to see a dramatic weight loss follows:

Allow myself to be hungry and blue through minutes of the day.
Exercise way more than I want to exercise.
Pack all my simple meals with weighed amounts
Replace a meal with a smoothie
Read my advantage cards and post here consistently

Funny (not really) but I remember now this is almost exactly what did two years ago when I got down to my goal weight of 150. Well, at least i know there is a solution So, the question is clearly before me. If this is what it takes, do I really want to be thinner. The answer is most minutes I do. The "ayes" have it. I must endure the "nays" in my head when the minutes get tough.

onebyone: A true gift of this program is the startling realization that skinny people ALL watch what they eat. Only the very young like my son can eat a whole pizza but even he watches his nutrition over the course of the week. Everyone has to play by the rules. It might be the the only true level playing field in the life.

Karenrn: I have hiked parts of the PCT - the areas in the sierra nevada - desolation wilderness for example is unlike any place I have ever seen. Beautiful.

Last edited by maryann; 04-13-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #101  
Green Tomatoes

For some reason, I refuse to believe that the rules that worked for me the last time I lost weight still apply. I have to test every single one of them. Yesterday, I re-learned that I can’t watch TV when I’m alone in the house because it triggers over-eating. My best practice for when I'm alone in the house is to work on a project upstairs – and I have plenty to do!

WI: +0.65 kg, Exercise: +40, 390/1000 minutes for April, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #102  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Big doings at our house today. The air conditioners are being installed. Heck no I wouldn't want to redecorate or replace old furniture, I'd much rather spend the money on two new air conditioners. It's one of those darn things a person has to do if they own a home.

Other than that it is to the hairdresser later this morning so I'll be ready for our trip to WA tomorrow. It should be a good time. A quick visit to see dh's Mom and brother for one night, then back to Seattle to see friends overnight. The husband of the couple we're visiting is flying down with a friend in a couple of weeks to backpack the Grand Canyon with me, so I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about. Then on Saturday we'll be in Kirkland, just across the lake from Seattle, for our friends daughter's wedding. All our old tailgate crew will be there, so that will be very fun. My husband has known the father of the bride since his teen years.

My goal today is to be very good on my food plan. So far so good, but we are going to HH/dinner with some friends who are flying in from MN today. I need to keep the day low cal to allow for a little more at dinner. I should be busy enough that it won't be a problem.

I'll try to check in via phone while I'm gone.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #103  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, I'm the one whose weight is stubbornly sticking fast, but I'll hold onto hope that I, too, will see some sign from the universe and not in a rise. Actually, it's at ticker and goal by Saturday is to be down under it, so ... will keep on doing what I need to do. But that said, I did make a higher calorie dinner tonight - chicken with onions, but limited my sides solidly, except for the green beans. Sun was shining gloriously, but a bit too brisk to eat outside. I learned my lesson a few weeks ago when it was a bit nippy and not really relaxing, but rather bracing.

Karen - Cracking up on your note that you now have an REI ad ... I am annoyed by the Jenny Craig ads and finally mine has changed - earlier today to a Rx drug of some sort and now to Audi ... neither of which I'm interested in. It's funny, they could really target me with things I AM interested in, but nope.

Bill - I used to lord it over my Dad that I loved lima beans. Turns out, I only liked the ONE you'd get in a can of Campbell's soup. The others when my mom relented and bought a frozen bag for me were DRY dry dry. Bleh. Unfortunately, I'd talked a good game as a 10-year old and ground my way through them slowly. Good memories. But i'd NOT heard of Ota Benga before, so had to discuss that with DH.

OneByOne - I remember my mom talking about the Dionne quints - so, so sad. Interesting to me that you'd just read about Ota Benga. I love synchronicty type things.

Maryann - Grateful that you're getting some reinforcement on great choices!

Got to get on some office work, but hello and good to hear that everyone seems to be coming out from under the haze of feeling crummy ... FFC - When is the end of your big project? I've got a countdown of six weeks starting up Six weeks plus one day and blessed relief with mine over.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Ok food day today. I ate a little too much, but was well under my calorie target for the day. Exercise was only ~12 minutes of my workout DVD. I've lost quite a lot of endurance during my weeks dealing with foot injuries and illness, so it is slow in getting back to it!

Gardener Joy, good job getting back on track and relearning what you still need to do!

Karen, R. N., Grand Canyon hike sounds wonderful! Hope you had a great time at the dinner.

Mary Ann, yay for 2 OP days in a row! Keep up the good work!

National Parker, great job getting on top of your plan! I was able to revise some deadlines, so the big one is ~7/1. Extra time is a big help!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #105  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sleepy

Coaches

Sleepy check in for me but reporting an OP day. Also weight was.same as yesterday. I am having doubts about my new scale. I think it is insensitive. Too m y days at exactly the same number makes me think that. Still number is fine.

Did not a thing today. Will.make up for.it tomorrow.

Everyone's ready for bed including.Caesar who is waiting g for me to settle down already so h can snuggle. Better go.
Closed Thread