Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #46  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - National Tartan Day (Scotland Independence, 1320)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping for a haircut. Special credit for getting a haircut as I'm prone to just letting it grow as if being a child of the '60s was still fashionable. My barber noted, as she usually does, that it's been a long time. This morning I go to my dental hygienist who's sure to note that I should floss better. What's with this paying money to be reminded of my shortcomings, LOL?

Evening activity was attending a wake for a friend. I hadn't seen her only daughter in 20 years, but she claimed to recognize me. It's such a stressful task to stand in line for two hours at your mother's wake. Fortunately, a bunch of her friends were there to boost her spirits. We found an "Asian Street Food" takeout place on the way home. I ate half of my dish, CREDIT moi, saving half for lunch today. Mango for evening snack; I could eat mango every day and not get tired of it.

onebyone – Snacks in every class is abusive! Hope you found a chair far away from them. [Mourning the loss of three feet eight inches of snow. R.I.P.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat that you're giving presentations about modern Cuba. Welcome back template!

silverbirch – Let us know how the no-wheat eating works. It's been easy to drop most wheat, but the remainder is tougher.

maryann - Welcome back from Ireland. Kudos for being able to feel gratitude for the relatives who left to give you life here. Yay for walking off the cream.

nationalparker – Great reminder: "I wanted it because I SAW it." Kudos for standing down that Reese's cup.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for food just at the limit. [I do have some pounds to drop from last summer.]

curlyjax - LOL at "it won't kill anyone" - we do need to cut ourselves some slack on occasion.

Sandy (love2garden) - Yay for a book club that's exciting enough for an encore in the parking lot. [I was tickled that this Slender Wheatgrass has "relatively shallow (18 inches) roots" - that seems deep to me. I've had heirloom wheat bread from Heritage Grain Conservancy - awesome!]

Ani (dailypractice) - It's just hard for me to understand that there are folks who can forget about a bag of potato chips, LOL. Yay for oranges.

Prairie Chicken - Yep, dried mango is just a sugar bomb. Excited at the thought of your Alaska cruise. That's on my bucket list. LOL at your new Beck strategy, "Get behind me, Satan!"

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#5: The Illegitimate to Say No Trap

.....Like many dieters, Theresa believed her desire to lose weight wasn't a legitimate reason to turn down food, especially when a food pusher was being insistent.
....."What if you were a vegetarian," I asked, "and Suzanne was pushing those trendy cookies with bacon in them. Would you eat them anyway?"
....."Oh, no," she responded. "I wouldn't."
....."Why?"
....."Because I just wouldn't. If I were vegetarian, I wouldn't consider eating meat."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 98
Old 04-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #47  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I headed out for a hike but when I got out of the car at the trailhead it was windy and the dust was blowing. Good enough excuse to come home. I don't want dust in my eyes and people get Valley Fever from the dust (or at least that's what I tell myself), so I don't hike when the dust is blowing.

Here I am back home and will tackle the ironing basket and a few other things. I'm trying to stick with an hour or so of housework a day. This morning I couldn't find my luggage scale which I use to weigh my backpack when I train, so I'll need to go on the hunt for that.

Both food and exercise were good yesterday and NO beers. It is such a bad habit and just that. Actually dh didn't have any beer either.

Yesterday was a very productive day. After I had my oil changed and a general check up on the car I headed to the mall, which is not one of my favorite things to do. I went to Nordstrom's where I found a dress for the wedding we are attending and also got my eyebrows shaped. I was pleased to find a dress for about $100, but then it rang up for $58. It's a print wrap dress with blues, white and a little black and grey. I may need some new sandals, but first I'll see if it will work with some that I have.

Bill I also hate those reminders from the hygienist. I will say she is kinder since I have my Waterpic.

Sandy I'm going to have to check out The Nightingale. Several friends have read it and now with your review it's time.

Well, I'd better get moving or I'll lose my momentum. More later.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #48  

Height: 5' 2"

Great day including Library for 4 new books and reading latest magazines (Free).

Karen A wrap dress is the best for making us look like great females. Like the colors and you did well with price, too.

Bill Wish we had place for good whole wheat bread. Only recently did our favorite Asian restaurant begin saying yes when we ask "May we have BROWN rice?"

CREDIT: keeping within my calorie range but just barely today after 2 days below. CREDIT: Gym for about 35 minutes, lower weights, but first time in 5 weeks thought I'd better be a bit careful. Sore now, but happy.

Still waiting for rain. Dreary day, but that is as close as we came.

Library book on exercise in a chair for evening times with TV.

Sandy
Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #49  
Green Tomatoes

A weird 24 hours.

I accepted an invitation for supper out before my Cuba presentation.

It went well and was a lot of fun with many entertaining questions -- including some completely unexpected ones even though I've done two before. Yes, it's really illegal for an American to go to Cuba unless you follow the rules set by the Treasury Department. Yes, you need a passport (and a visa!).

I got the more expected questions, too. Drink the water? Well, they say it's filtered in the tourist spots, but some of our group got sick anyway -- including my husband, but not me. Mosquitos? They carry dengue and the CDC issued warnings about zika in Cuba last month -- but I wore long-sleeve cotton shirts & trousers and never put on the mosquito repellent that I brought. I was bit only once in a week but, fortunately, didn't get sick.

I was wound up after the presentation and had a hard time getting myself to bed. Then, DH was feeling badly in the night. We checked his temperature at around 1AM and it was 101 degrees. I got him aspirin and made him drink liquids. Neither of us slept well.

I canceled his dentist appointment, but went to mine -- a crown. It took two hours. They let me out a noon with instructions not to chew for two more hours until the numbness wore off. Thanks. The office is across the street from a frozen custard stand, so the solution was obvious -- a concrete for lunch!

Then, I wasn't feeling good. I tried a bath and lying down for a bit. I never nap, so I figured I was sick, too, but my temperature was normal.

It was a struggle to figure out what happened after. I really wanted to run some errands, but I realized that was the addiction's desire -- it would be my excuse to overeat. I worked through my feelings (using the process in A Blueprint for Your Castle in the Clouds by Barbara Sophia Tammes -- basically the same thing as Beck's 7 Question Technique but more visual and fun) and was able to pull myself to a place where I wanted to work my checklists instead. Eating hasn't been perfect, but better than it might have been.

Wow! That was long. Apparently, I needed to share my whole 24 hours in order to wrap my mind around it.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Everyone.

Just checking in after several days of being under the weather. Feeling better, though my appetite has been way off. Good news for the scale, but not a dependable change when my appetite returns. Haven't been exercising either, but expect to walk 1 mile at some point. Hope you are all well!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #51  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another brief checkin and I feel like a schlub for not allotting time since I enjoy catching up. Worked a bit late, stopped at the library to pick up the movie, "In the Shadow of the Moon" ... also stopped at Target to get a few items for dinner and basically didn't stop until now. I decided to make bbq chicken quesadillas with caramelized onions, corn, diced chicken cooked up and added bbq sauce and some good quality shredded spicy pepperjack cheese I picked up last week from Trader Joe's. It took me more than five minutes to pick the tortillas. At that moment I wished I didn't have to pay attention to the calories/fiber. At least few have lard now - that removes that concern. Feel like I've been on the go the whole day. While making dinner, I set out the foot "bath" massager for DH - he is on his feet all day. A surprise for him to have a hot soak on his footsies while i made dinner. Cleaned up and now I'm weary and ready for bed after doing the PT. Over on calories today, and consciously chose to eat an italian cookie for 130 calories over my allotment. I'm milking these for all the time I can get out of them from Christmas. Four more left. Not all mine. Moved laundry along with two loads.

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-06-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Life is in full session here in California. Jet lag, chest cold, job catch up, news of illness from a close friend- all these things seem to be trying to steal the high from the wonderful trip to Ireland. I bet many of you have experienced this - what can we call it - reentry, the bends ? But If I push through another day and a half I might be able to have a full weekend off recharge.

Ireland gave me eleven days of new perspective of the emotional/physical stuff I have been struggling with for the last several months. I had to face it that I was basically crawling through March with only anxiety medications, 25 years of healthy routines, and some solid relationships getting me through. So I have decided to continue making the big changes it is obvious I need to make. Two months ago, I said goodbye to my AA home group of 25 years, last month I said good bye to teaching catechism until I resolved some fundamental issues that had resurfaced . This month, yesterday to be precise, I walked away from my beloved job of 25 years. I can't believe I did it. It feels like I'm leaving buddies on the front line. I nearly cried when I told my boss. He was wonderful, everyone has been wonderful. So encouraging. My boss commended me on my courage to leave and then spoke of how much he would miss me and how grateful he was for the work I have done.

I walked over to HR the next day. They told me to talk to a few principals at the schools I would like to work. I made the call on a private phone an hour later, left my name with a secretary because the principal was in meetings all day. By the time I walked back to my office phone, literally five minutes later, the principal had called and offered me a job. He said it was ridiculous that one of the best teachers in the district was not teaching in the classroom. That felt good.

So now I will officially be a high school English teacher in fall. I know it sounds silly but that has always been a secret dream of mine back from when I was a little girl watching Room 222. Does anyone remember that show? It has taken me twenty five years to get there.

Not much about food today. Weight is near ticker. No exercise in sight today except the 8,000 steps I put in at work. Continuing another month of no sweets at work. I can barely imagine how much that rule has helped me through everything.

Another espresso and I am off to work.

Last edited by maryann; 04-07-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #53  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - World Health Organization Founded (1948)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the dentist's office where my dental hygienist said I'd "done good" with my flossing. I felt like a little kid getting a gold star, LOL. Walked again to the library and then again to two evening events. Busy day. I now have a clue as to why the beaks of the finches on the Galapagos Islands have changed over the last 40 years. Rainfall varies from absolutely zero to 1.5 meters a year. Zero rain exerts serious pressure on the small beaked finches who can only eat the soft berries and allows expansion of the large beaked finches who can crack the hard nuts. Doing science on a small island with no fresh water and no other humans is demanding work.

Eating was OKish. For lunch I finished off the small leftover chunk of Sunday's pot roast - quickly before DW declared it unfit for human consumption. Dinner was cobbled from snack like food between the two events. It wasn't a normal planned day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – That was a full 24 hours. Neat that you're elevated to an expert on passports as well as being a photographer. Congrats on your new crown. Did you get gold or enamel?

FutureFitChick – Hope you soon get your Mojo back.

nationalparker – Thanks for sending me to google schlub. Italian cookies left from Christmas is serious restraint - Kudos.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a super bargain dress buy - that's my kind of shopping. Kudos for actually doing an hour of housework a day.

Sandy (love2garden) - LOL that "Dreary day" is as close as you come to rain. The magnolia trees we saw last night have lost this season's blooms to the wet snow. Ouch! Nothing from them until next year. Yep, Kudos for calories within range.

Readers -
Quote:

"And what if you had a peanut allergy, and there could be serious consequences if you ate anything with nuts in it? Would you give in if she made baked goods made with nuts, and then pushed and pushed you to have some?"

"Definitely not. It wouldn't matter how much she pushed. I would definitely say no."

"So you'd feel it was legitimate to say no to Suzanne if you were a vegetarian or if you had a peanut allergy?"

"I would."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 98
Old 04-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #54  
Green Tomatoes

I've decided that I really want to weigh every day. I used to do that and it worked for me -- I got used to the wiggles and didn't find it discouraging. I played with the idea of not weighing the day after I ate out, but that was going to mean that I didn't weigh several days in a row this week. Also, I clearly have no clue what the scale is going to say, so I have to step on it to find it! I assumed it would have been up today, but apparently I started this new phase with more water weight than I imagined.
WI: -1.35 kg, Exercise: +20, 175/1000 minutes for April, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: congratulations on your new job! How terrific that it came about because you are valued.

BillBlueEyes: do they do gold crowns any more? Enamel, with the color neatly matched to my teeth which have yellowed since my first crown -- probably because I switched from Diet Coke to tea. That led to some health benefits so I'm okay with the color of my teeth.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #55  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Well the day is off to a good and then not so good start. I got up and out the door and did my 7 1/2 mile hike with 17 pounds on my back. First day of backpacking training. I was slower than without a pack, but that is to be expected. I had the air-conditioning service people due to arrive at 10. They called to say they would be early and I was running late, so I called dh who came home. He stayed long enough for me to jump in the shower and learn the repairs are not repairs, but 2 new units. This is not totally unexpected news, but pricey. It's a darn good thing I'm saving so much money by doing the housework.

And speaking of the housework, Maria stopped by last night with her little grand daughter and a friend. The friend came as interpreter and also because she does housework. Maria explained her biggest problem is that she is now caring for her granddaughter. She was recommending her friend. I was able to graciously say that since I retired 4 years ago our income was reduced and although I would never have laid off Maria, I will do our housework now. I did take the name and phone number from her friend and gave her ours and she did say she can come once and a while also. Might be a good thing for dh when I'm in Spain for 6 weeks. Maria also returned our house keys and we were able to give hugs and know all is well. It was good closure since she had been coming twice a month for nearly 10 years. We could always count on her and we paid her fairly. I felt much better after seeing her.

After learning about the AC units I ate an early lunch which I finished off with some chocolate chips. The rest of the bag is going in the garbage as soon as I finish this post.

GardenerJoy I'm glad for you that the scale is giving some positive reinforcement.

Bill I am also pickier about when food should go in the trash than dh. Maybe I have a better memory about when it was cooked, since I fixed it.

Maryann What a year it has been for you! I am so happy for you about your new job. You must feel terrifically appreciated. I hope you love it after you have the summer off.

Love2garden I am starting to wait for the rain too. It is supposed to happen here sometime this weekend. Boy do we need it. When I did my hike on Tuesday I could not believe how ugly it looked. I think it was a combination of the flowers are mostly over with and it was just dusty and dirty looking. All the plants just looked brown from dust. I think the comparison to the jungle area of Peru made it look even worse.

FutureFitChick I hope you're feeling better.

Nationalparker How is the PT going? They helped me so much last year when I broke my arm.

Well, I had better get a few things done around here in the next few hours and then I get to go to the dentist for a new crown, Yippee!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #56  

Height: 5' 2"

Karen What a contrast between Peru and dusty lack of rain here. Past few years has been wetter than average and the plants have thrived. I worry with this extended dry time for April - usually 1-2 inches per month here, and we've gone way too long with more than a wetting last night.
What a neat way you and Maria were able to part company with all OK. Agree, what a blessing it would be to get reliable help once and a while.

MaryAnn Wonderful! You are needed and you want the job teaching in an much changed environment and opportunity. I do remember Room 222. I loved it and one of the very few I actually made attempt to watch. Dad was teacher at Vocational School, My aunt in English, and my training was towards Science teacher, but 4 children and DH"S home engineering company kept me from finishing that last year college or teaching more than at Church. Keep us posted how this change goes. Good to see you making the changes for YOUR needs.

Just realized why our refrigerator and pantry seem confusing and unfamiliar. DH and DD are ones in charge of kitchen, one cooks other cleans and both take care of grocery shopping and putting away. I can't find anything!!!
Just the can opener that works is now gone. I hate that electrical thing. After many decades of being solely in charge of shopping and kitchen, at times I feel a stranger in our home.

Still using Beck in many ways and also feeling far stronger in changing how I'm living, eating and making decisions. Sandy
Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Made progress in the right direction with exercise (1 mile). Food was fine. Better update and personals tomorrow, I hope!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #58  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Accidentally hit the back button when scrolling up to read a note and lost my whole post. I'm so frustrated with myself.

Bill - Got a kick out of you quickly nibbling the pot roast before DH declared it a No Go. You have such a wide, interesting variety of interests - a Renaissance man!

Love2Garden - I'm your hand-can-opener sister ... I cannot use an elec one and only use the turny kind or the P38 one. This drives my DH nutty. Finally he gave in and donated his elec one that sat unused. I said if he was going to always be the one opening a can, fine, but if not, then I had no use for it.

Karen - That's nice that you had the chance to say byes to Maria and that she thought so much of you to try to help you with a replacement. When is your next adventure - May?

GardenerJoy - KUDOS for accepting the scale as data - you're a good voice of reason. I struggle with it some times yet other times, it' s just data and no emotional investment.

Maryann - A wonderful example of your hard work through the years coming back to reward you - how about the timing on letting something go out of your life to allow something else in. Wow.

FutureFitChick and CurlyJax - Hoping that you both feel MUCH better in a speedy way! Take care of yourself and hopefully you'll get extra rest on the weekend to build up strength.

Busy day today with work, volunteering gig at lunch and the PT. Got home before DH (who is working long hours again, now on 7 days/week until mid-June, we think) ...and made a mexican one-dish dinner with taco flavored ground turkey, hot chili beans, black beans, corn, onions and cheese. Makes a lot of servings and is a fave of DH's. He now works where 100 folks use two microwaves at lunch, so his chance to heat things up are severely limited compared to his last place ... I'm ordering him a three-tier Tiffin set to heat up with hot water and fill with his hot lunch in the morning and should keep warm. We'll see.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #59  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Quick hello before I say goodnight.weight was 264.6 again. Good. Can't wait to be under 260.
I had a good food day. I tried to work.at home.but.ended.up.doing website work and the making of files to distribute online. That stuff.eats your day away. I have made zero progress on my ceramics and now have to go to the guild tomorrow and work on them there. If I am at home it is super hard for me.to stay focused.on the.art work. Thank goodness the food is.not calling me. It used to in exactly this kind of situation. I continue to be focused on weight loss.

Better go. I'm worn out.

Have a good night.

Maryann: nice to hear from you. Great news. It took a lot of courage for you to make those.changes. kudos.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:09 AM   #60  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - R.I.P. Pablo Picasso, age 91 (Mougins, France, 1973)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The Boston Globe ran a recipe for shank of lamb that, for some reason, DW decided to try - her first time ever. Was it ever good. She served each of us one shank that looked HUGE. In reality, it was a reasonable volume of meat. It'd been cooked for three hours so the meat just fell off the bone. She served it over mashed root veggies; the sauce was full of tomatoes and carrots. It seemed like healthy eating. I could live in New Zealand.

It rained all day - over an inch. I never left the house. For exercise I gritted my teeth as I reviewed our taxes so they can be filed electronically by our accountant. I'm a fan of paying my share, but I HATE HATE HATE the complexity of tax returns. Next year I plan to take a deduction for emotional stress.

onebyone"That stuff eats your day away" - does it ever. I pictured a future where the whole world spends the day tending their Internet files. Kudos for "I continue to be focused on weight loss."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I take comfort in "the wiggles" of the scale knowing that many of the upticks are temporary. [My last crown was so long ago both gold and enamel were offered. Gold was thought to last longer.]

FutureFitChick – Yay for that mile.

maryann - My mind boggles that you're making changes in your life at the rate of a teenager. Kudos, Kudos, Kudos. Room 222 looks like a good show.

nationalparker – That Tiffin is some serious lunch bag! You do sound busy.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for two new air-conditioning units. (Some folks in our area use air-conditioning, but it's considered unNewEngland to do so. We just grit our teeth the five nights a year when it would be useful.) Kudos for serious beginning of your backpack training.

Sandy (love2garden) - I love the phrase, "the can opener that works is now gone." We'd never be able to buy a new one since we'd KNOW that the old one would turn up and the drawer that it lives in is already full.

Readers -
Quote:

"Okay," I continued. "Let's talk about whether your goal of losing weight is also legitimate." I asked Theresa to read her advantages list aloud. Along with many other positive consequences of losing weight, she had identified important ways her health stood to improve. "But even if you didn't get any health benefits as a result of losing weight, wouldn't it be legitimate for you to turn down food so you could feel better about yourself have more self-confidence, and feel strong, and in control?"

She nodded. "Yes, I guess I hadn't been thinking about it in that way."

"And what if the shoe were on the other foot? What if Suzanne had a goal to lose weight so she could get these advantages? Would you push food on her?"

"No," Theresa answered. "I'd respect her decision."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 99
Closed Thread