Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #61  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was court. We were granted the eviction. Now it's just a waiting game. The attorney will contact the tenants to let them know that if they leave by Monday we won't file the writ and it won't be on their record. I doubt that will happen. So, Monday we will file the writ and ask the Sheriff to evict them. It will take a week to serve them then they have 72 hours to leave. After the 72 hours their stuff is moved outside and we change the locks. Since we have an attorney I have let go of it all emotionally, which helps me personally. When they are out I will make my move. Until then, I will proceed with my "normal" life. Credit.

Food has been good, I am weighing and tracking daily. I missed my weights Tuesday morning and it didn't happen after work. It just reminds me mornings are what work. I look for the routine that works. Credit. Scale still trickles down.

BBE, lol at a deduction for emotional stress. Glad I can do my own taxes and glad I didn't procrastinate. They are finished. I will file and pay Apr 15. When you move to New Zealand I will plan a visit. Kudos for healthy and yummy lamb shank.

Onebyone, kudos for weight down and continued focus on weight loss.

Nationalparker, I always write from another screen (OneNote) which has relieved me of my former frustration of lost posts. Kudos for a home cooked meal which provides left overs for work.

FutureFitChick, yay for feeling better rewarded by a 1 mile walk.

Love2garden, "Still using Beck in many ways and also feeling far stronger in changing how I'm living, eating and making decisions."

Karenrn, hope your weather is better for hiking today. Kudos for pitching the chocolate chips. Mine are stashed for baking but getting rid of them would be for the best if they turned into snacks.

Gardenerjoy, I'm a firm believer in weighing every day. I bounce around and often start the steady rise but when I am looking every day I come to a point where I draw the line in the sand much sooner than I otherwise would. Kudos for making that decision and getting on the scale even after an eating out day.

Maryann, kudos for taking such major steps forward and being rewarded with positive results. We never know until we try. High school English. Right down your alley!

My DH is leaving for Denmark Apr. 19. He is in the mood to help me get things accomplished before then. Today we start in the yard!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Finally a day off but still up early because I have to leave at 6:30 for a shrink appointment. After that I have no commitments until Monday. Soon I will have some breathing space. My plan for the day is to meditate, tell the truth, record my food, put my fitbit back on to record 10,000 steps (which might be at the mall ), and not worry about global issues. This needs to be my new "full day" for awhile especially since I can't shake this chest cold.

Lexxiss: How very stressful it is to have to hire a lawyer to force people to do what is right. Reading your remarks reminds me that it is not just in public education that people are taking advantage of the system. Credit for you walking through it with dignity and grace. I agree with your remarks to gardenerjoy, weighing everyday is difficult but mandatory for me.

BBE: I still can't file electronically since the IRS won't change the "I'm dead" glitch with social security a few years ago. Ironically they will still take my money the old fashioned way. Thank goodness for DH who has "people" to do all that stuff.

Credit to all of us continuing to use Beck skills daily to find greater peace with food.

Last edited by maryann; 04-08-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #63  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default It's "Draw a picture of a bird day"!

Whoever heard of that official day, but looking forward to any exhibitions by Bill or OneByOne!

Early note today - weighed and still up from ticker - at 174.4 but okay with that - body cycles and not unusual for me. I just need to make some more forward progress soon.

Temptation was exceedingly strong this morning to just stay in bed and call in as a vacation day. Dark, cold morning. Thought we'd have planning for a work trip next weekend, but no one else is in here from that group. This weekend I'll go through my closet and find my clothes/outfits for the trip and presentations.

Bought DH the two-tier lunch thingy (not the three) so we'll see how that works out after it arrives. He's having a bit of a time adjusting to this new place, which is understandable after nearly 30 years at the other place, a world-leading company in his area. I said I'd bring him lunch today and he suggested I do it tomorrow, which is way better for me, as I'll have ample time then.

I have got to do my notes in another window - that's the smart thing yet I stubbornly stick to my failed process. Next time! New leaf!

Donut Friday. For some reason the idea of a donut today seems legit. Like I should. Because I haven't for so long. And it should be everything in moderation, not "never". And...And...and the mind games continue. I've already eaten breakfast.

Lexxiss - GOOD news on the eviction process and so smart of you to let it go from your mind as you've done what you can. I admire that.

Ani - I missed waving Hi to you yesterday - hope you're off to a good start to the weekend (clearly Friday is now part of it in my mind!) ... I think like you do - might as well get "rid" of X so it's not a further temptation. Do you still alternate between Washington and Florida?

Next week is National Library Week ... I'd like to bring in something for the librarians where I go - it's in a very high poverty area and often the librarians end up as child care providers when parents drop and run. Yet they maintain serenity and order for the most part.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #64  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I ate way too much sodium (and probably too much food -- but no binging, so that's good) and now I’m bloated again. My inflammation symptoms were reduced yesterday but they’re back now. I trust that if I drink lots of water they will go away again. That's all quite helpful to remind myself that an Advantage to controlled eating is that I feel physically so much better.

WI: +0.8 kg, Exercise: +25, 200/1000 minutes for April, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #65  

Height: 5' 2"

Blustery but little rain had 1/4 inch in past 13-14 days. Forest Fires destroyed new boardwalk in WV. Where I grew up, forest fires were a always a fall problem. I remember being on the band bus driving a narrow road with fires burning on left and on the right, too. I deathly afraid of fire. My worst night mares are about fire. RAIN, Please. We live near a good size river and are a ways from forest so my concern is for others and those fighting the fires.

Walk 3/4 mile finished but really not easy and certainly not fun, but completed. CREDIT: 4 and 1/3 days on diet and doing surprisingly well sticking to it. CREDIT.

Debbie Glad the lawyer stuff is done for the time being and hope you can truly let the stuff go for now.

MaryAnn Do you have to file as a couple and the false reading about your death doesn't show when done by mail? Strange. Good to know that task is done.

Great sleep, but energy is really on the lowest setting. Not sure why the walk completely did me in. I'm trying to walk more often to build strength that I let really deteriorate this winter. Noticed at my return to gym was also so hard I had to fight for every minute. But I did it and shall go again tomorrow and push again. Sure did a lot of talking to myself. Sandy
Old 04-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #66  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was actually a little under yesterday because I earned some big time exercise points. But I did have a couple of beers on the patio. I had to commiserate with dh about the new air conditioners we'll be purchasing. A rep will be here tomorrow late morning to let us know what the damages will be.

I got out for a 5 1/2 mile neighborhood walk today. It rained a good part of the night, so that is good news, but I didn't want to go out and possibly hike on muddy trails. Should be fine for hiking tomorrow early.

I hope to get to personals tomorrow. I am going to work on clearing a few things out of the closet in the office now.

Have a great weekend everybody.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #67  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - NASA selects first seven Astronauts (1959)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Second dinner of shank of lamb. It's really good. DW hates to serve the same meal in sequence, but is making an exception for this lamb because she thinks it can only be kept in the fridge for a few days. That's alright with me; I could eat it every day.

Walk, CREDIT moi, was to a bird club meeting where I learned that there's a pattern of migration errors. Some birds fly exactly 180 degrees in the wrong direction. This usually isn't good. A few fly 90 degrees in the wrong direction which tends to put them on the west coast of the U.S. instead of the east coast. These are mainly first year birds. This used to be fatal when California was dessert right up to the Pacific Ocean. It's better now thanks to the man-planted Eucalyptus trees and other grasses that support birds. And yes, some fly just a tad off the direction that their parents flew. This gives mixed results.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I do like being reminded, "an Advantage to controlled eating is that I feel physically so much better,"

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for such a saga over undisputable rent monies. I do hope it ends well for you - and quickly. Around here, it's possible to drag on for up to six months, but I think Colorado is more civilized. Thanks for "I look for the routine that works."

maryann - Yay for a planned sane day. [It is a tad odd to be chatting with a person declared 'dead' by the Social Security Administration. Seems a rather large 'glitch'.]

nationalparker – Kudos for spotting the mind games. The notion that a donut is OK since it's been a long time is a first class Sabotaging Thought.

Karen (karenrn) - It is a bit painful to have to sit and wait to be told how much the new air-conditioners are going to cost. Kudos for knowing that you don't have to eat about it.

Sandy (love2garden) - Hope you get your rain. We've gotten so much this past week that DW is concerned about our veggie garden. Yep, Kudos for the walk.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#5: The Illegitimate to Say No Trap

Theresa summarized her thoughts on a reminder card:
It's legitimate for me to say no! I'm fully within
my rights to turn down food so I can lose weight
and get the benefits of weight loss - just like I'd be
fully within my rights to turn down food if I were
vegetarian or had a food allergy. If Suzanne and I
switched roles, I certainly wouldn't push food on her.
I shouldn't let her push food on me.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 99
Old 04-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
i am so tired of not feeling well, whine whine. I woke up today with a headache and draggy feeling again.I doubt anything is wrong, just a cold that won't go away. Credit for not totally pigging out, and continuing with getting laundry and meals done in some fashion. I feel like I am 90 years old.
On the positive side, a few blood tests came back for DH and were looking fine, so that is a relief. things are still being biopsied etc so something bad could still be lurking but i feel a little more positive about it all.
enjoying reading your posts!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

First blessed day DS and I have had to sleep in. I am looking out my window on a cool (mid 60's) spring morning. We are waiting for some spring showers. Things feel better this morning.

Weight is one pound from ticker despite some eating while standing. Credit for getting my 10,000 steps to which I committed. Today I will focus on reinstitution of "sitting while I eat", reading my advantage cards, and tracking ALL food in MFP - not stopping mid afternoon. My only must TO DO is the gym.

nationalparker: I am going through my clothes this weekend as well. Our temps have hit 80 and 90 and it is time to find out which cool outfits I can wear to work. It is always self comforting to know I have at least a few planned ensembles that look good..

gardenerjoy: You reminded me of all the research I did on inflammation a few years ago. I eliminated several food categories and it really helped. I am willing to revisit that now that hopefully life is calming down for me.

love2garden: Yes. We file together. I know, wierd IRS will take paperwork but not electronic. Good for you pushing through at the gym even when you didn't feel like it. I certainly have had those days.

KarenRN: i love the smell of the desert after the rain. I bet you enjoyed it.

BBE: It was quite startling to be dead. I had to write an affadative that said I wasn't dead. Very Catch 22 "Major Major Major"

curlyjax: i completely sympathize with a cold that won't go away. It is a super bummer. Mine has hung on through middle March.

Last edited by maryann; 04-09-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #70  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

It's a lazy Saturday for me. I've gotten a few things done around the house this morning and now waiting for the AC people to come and let us know what we need and how much $$. This afternoon we'll drive about 45 minutes north to where my brother and sister in law are babysitting a couple of their grandchildren. It will be good to see them.

Maryann I'm glad you were able to sleep in and that things feel better this morning. You are making so many changes and they all sound positive. I hope it is exactly what you need.

Curlyjax I hope you are feeling better soon. My cold is hanging on a little longer than I thought it would and I'm not feeling as peppy as usual, but I know I'm on the mend.

Bill Very interesting about the birds and their migration errors. I had no idea. The lamb shanks sound delicious. I had some in Peru that were so tasty and the sauce was incredible.

GardenerJoy I'm feeling the sodium today. We split nachos at happy hour last night for dinner, not a good choice. I guess I had better start gulping down some water.

Lexxis I hope the tenants move out soon so you can be finished with that chapter. It is amazing to me what some people will do.

Waving to everyone else and hoping you all have a good weekend.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #71  
Green Tomatoes

Today would be a good day to write a food plan. Done. Now, it's possible to follow a food plan -- what a concept! My days, recently, have defied planning and I want to be able to handle those days well, too, but my best bet is to have a food plan most days. I make better choices with a food plan, even if there are occasional substitutes due to unforeseen circumstances.

WI: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +45, 245/1000 minutes for April, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 04-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #72  

Height: 5' 2"

Gym with DH and our daughter was the easiest in ages. 55 minutes of working hard has me sore and happy. So glad I didn't give in at find excuses. Having family with me was fun.

Eating is still very, very good all week. We'll see Monday. I rarely loose but a little bit at a time. Can't understand those that drop so much in a week. If I loose a pound I'm pleased.

Dr. says I must get off the 30# before he replaces my left knee. He told me "Give up cake, pop, french fries, etc." I don't like any of those so gladly give them up. Problem is I eat healthy 98 percent of time.

Sandy
Old 04-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #73  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, for someone who supposedly wants to drop weight, I didn't put forth much effort today. Credit for light breakfast because I was meeting DH with lunch at his work. Demerit because I could have truly just skipped breakfast and enjoyed a cup of tea instead. Credit for splitting my lunch into two portions - one for lunch and one for dinner. Demerit for wanting to munch on this and that all day. And demerit for doing it. I put it all in mfp to the best of my recollection and then just added 300 extra calories to cover anything I forgot. AUGH. I have a cup of tea now. Even if I don't drink it, it's here and steaming.

DH works tomorrow morning 6-noon. I'm torn between wanting to get just a TON done around the house, or just relaxing with some magazines then getting in time on the bike.

Karen - I am worried about needing ONE AC unit, let alone two. Hopefully they'll run you some sort of a deal on them... I've not heard of two in one home but also not familiar with AZ homes - except my sister's small base housing home in southern AZ. My unit at this house is the original one and home was built 30 years ago. I sweet talk it every spring and keep my fingers crossed that it gets us through the summer.

Love2Garden - I think I need to think of losing weight as my dr. orders. So glad that you get in extra family time in the gym!

CurlyJax - So good to hear that some of the tests are coming back positively for your DH. I will keep the good thoughts going as the testing continues. So stressful and so out of your control. Hope you're able to get good sleep despite it all to help knock out the cold.

Hoping to tack on more personals tomorrow morning.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #74  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Angry I can tell you exactly how this started

Coaches

When I hit my low weight this week of 264.6 I was so excited. I thought, wow, I haven't been that weight in many years. Then I saw, as recorded in my fit bit records, that it hadn't been that long and that I was even less: 262 something and all of a sudden *poof* it was like being 264 was nothing to get excited about. It wasn't anything special or any kind of accomplishment. Like it was nothing. Zero. And then, when faced with cookies, and feeling tired, and another cold wintery day, as I was just not feeling good about anything while at the potters' guild on Friday and not making any breakfast or packing lunch well someone left a.giant bix of hard candies and a big container of cookies for guild.members to share. Those nearest the stuff moves it so it would be away from them but it.moved closer to.me.and I got into it. I stopped and.my friend brought me.some.real. lunch but by the end of my day there I had had a few.more.cookies. and lunch had off plan carbs, the same as breakfast: offplan takeout carbs from fastfood place. Then nachows for dinner. No attempt to reign it in. Scale jumped 1.6lbs this morning.

So today I vowed to do better and had op breakfast (credit) but missed/did not plan lunch and so more cookies at my gallery sitting thing this afternoon. I had more than yesterday. But came home after and made good op supper. (Credit).

I can't afford off plan days. I can't afford the week it will now take to get back to where I was a day ago. It's so not worth it. Really. I am truly getting that.

Bye.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Titanic sets sail (Southampton, England, 1912)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included a drop off at the library. I didn't bring anything home. The best part of the day was dropping off old tires, paints, and pesticides at the city's Hazardous Waste disposal day. Every item that leaves my basement is a step forward. We still have cans of charcoal starter even though we no longer use charcoal.

Food was good enough. Lunch was half of the leftovers from our "Asian Street Food" takeout - only half because it looked like so much. Perhaps I'll get to the last quarter before it turns green. Dinner was 13 bean soup, a winter favorite that felt perfect in our chilly April. Evening snack was half a mango. Life is tasty, for sure. The neighbors have taken their Mazda convertible out of their garage - their signal that they believe in Spring.

onebyone – An open container of cookies is a challenge. Kudos for being committed to getting back on plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I need to remember this: "I make better choices with a food plan."

maryann - 10,000 Kudos for doing your steps. [Great memories: Very Catch 22 "Major Major Major"]

nationalparker – Splitting lunch is such a good idea.

Karen (karenrn) - Lazy Saturday sounds relaxing.

curlyjax - Yep, Kudos for "not totally pigging out" when feeling the tension of waiting for medical test results.

Sandy (love2garden) - I recognize this: "Problem is I eat healthy 98 percent of time" - for me, that little bitty tiny 2 percent sure packs a bunch of calories.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

Escape the Illegitimate to Say No Trap

Sometimes we have trouble seeing our own goals as worthy of as much respect as other people's preferences. And we don't realize that most people don't let other push them around when it comes to food. A lot of people are naturally good at standing firm if eating certain foods goes against their religious or philosophical practices or health needs. Others have no trouble putting their foot down if they're trying to lose or maintain weight, or if they simply don't want the food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 100
Closed Thread