Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #31  

Height: 5' 2"

Karen Rigid or stern or whatever, I'm finally willing to be whatever it takes to get these pounds moving away from me. Know getting outside would really be a high for you.

NationalParker You are amazing. I agree with Karen, grooming a dog will never be done by me in this lifetime. Bathing our dogs was something I conned the kids into doing most of the time. Didn't like my 10 year old and 1 year old daughters wanting the dog in the tub with them, however. Oh the good memories of young children when we now have 4 great grand children.

SilverBurch Bless you for suggestion of Rozanne around the pink Peoney. I divided one of mine into 3 large and 1 very small sprout (small back in hold that held originial.) I dug up the rich soil and spaced the divided Rozanne to make that entrance bed finished. Watered it then sprinkles. Hope we get lots more or I'll go finish watering and mulch that small bed. Osmocote added, too.

No snow here, no moisture either. Promise of rain is still just sprinkles. HELP!

Last edited by love2garden; 04-04-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #32  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Felt like a salmon swimming upstream a waterfall all day. Worked through lunch and an extra hour before heading out with a ton done. Enough to say that I felt like I rarely took a good hearty breath. Finishing up now that dinner is wrapped up here - a quickly prepped meal of chicken with romano cheese and trader joe's bag of frozen gnocchi. DH has leftovers for lunch tomorrow and I'll chop up a big salad. Have PT on my elbow - first of 6-8 weeks- in the morning and then will go in to work after that. I'm hoping this fixes the pain. Just sleeping or picking up a glass is hard, let alone a heavy pan.

I am so weary - brain and body weary. I hate starting a week out like that but can sleep in a bit more tomorrow. I'm debating getting on the bike tonight, or just calling it a day here soon and watching the Final Four game on the laptop with DH. Without cable, catching TBS will be a streaming deal. Even just getting in a few miles is better than nothing, and on the bike, it's not like hiking. Taxes are completed and filed, thanks to DH.

Karen - Your line that I work hard hit me strange because I feel like I'm never doing enough. Sometimes I think I need to sit back and recognize that moving things forward is good, that it doesn't all need to be done perfectly, timely or creatively. An extra night on a set of sheets is okay, right? I think I'm too much of a control person because when DH groomed the dog, he shaved her down to look like a rat. I kid you not.

Bill - AUGH on your spring snow. Hang in there. I will keep my trap shut about our 30s then. At least the daffodils aren't peeking through the snow.

Love2Garden - I sure wish you lived close by for your suggestions on my front small rectangular garden. I've got to get crackin' on that "gem". I do not do well on planting for future growth and now I'm just going for low stuff and debating on actually putting in a curve of small liriope and GRASS in a curve right along the sidewalk to mirror the other side's grass and absorb the water. It sounds wacky but I saw a pic and thought it was doable here. If not, I can replant the sod elsewhere I guess. That won't get done yet.

editing to add that i got on the bike and at least got moving ... just six miles but better than zero.

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-04-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #33  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up digging out from under

Coaches

We had HUGE snow last night. About 4' or so worth. The first snowdrift on the car of the 2015/16 season-although technically the winter season has ended hasn't it? Hrmph. It's sunny now and the snow's melting. This is the winter we have had. Big snow. Big melt. Green grass. Repeat. Little black squirrel this morning looked perplexed, as did the robins, as did I.

In spite of this I was in a good mood as the scale finally fell to 265.7. YAY. New low for me. Haven't been at that number for a few years so it gives me hope I AM on the right tract. I am only 15lbs away from 250 and that is fantastic. The tape measure hasn't really moved and I haven't seen much change in my clothes but it is all coming. So grateful.
-----
Well I just finished my homework for my class tomorrow and I have to get to bed. Just wanted to check in. Have a good night.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Pocahontas marries John Rolfe (Virginia, 1614)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It snowed all day. Exercise was shoveling snow, in the light, after dinner! (CREDIT moi) I don't ever recall shoveling snow at 7 p.m. in daylight. We had four inches (nothing like onebyone's four feet) - four wet inches. The wet continuously choked the snow blower which I fired up just so it would be used this season. I do enjoy that all the neighbors come out and chat while clearing snow.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. I've fallen back into snacks. Easter baskets contained some trail mix which is sneaking past my resistance muscle. Evening snack was half a mango - a favorite. Easter baskets contained many mangos so we'll be having those for the next few days.

onebyone – Congrats on the new low scale reading. Your snow is, indeed, "HUGE" - hope you can rescue your car.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – A "checklist of checklists" wins the organized person of the week award. Kudos for doing whatever it takes.

nationalparker – Sending de-weary thoughts your way. It's a challenge when the elbow isn't pulling its weight.

Karen (karenrn) - Thought of you when I read a recent article stating that the Colorado River continues to endure more stress than folks think it can handle. Glad you'll get in a hike while it still makes it all the way through the Grand Canyon.

Sandy (love2garden) - Speaking of roots, I'm fascinated that heirloom wheat sends roots twice as deep as does the easy-to-harvest new varieties. (Kids and dogs in the bath together sounds like disaster.)

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#5: The Illegitimate to Say No Trap
You feel it's not legitimate to say no to food pushers.
I wanted to find out whether anything else might interfere with Theresa's ability to resist her mother-in-law's food pushing: "How likely are you to say no when she offers you dessert this coming Sunday?"

"Pretty likely," she said, a bit hesitantly.

"What might go through your mind?" I asked.

"I don't know. I guess I usually think about how she really wants me to eat the dessert she baked. We're at her place, she'd gone to a lot of trouble . . ." Theresa's voice trailed off.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 98

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-06-2016 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #35  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Thumbs up my plan for today

Coaches, good morning!

The scale repeated 265.7lbs this morning (credit for weighing) and so I can believe it.

Tonight is my Artrepreneur class. I just realized that in my art business assignment I never actually DEFINED what it is I make! I talked all around it.

Today will be a day spent at home until I catch the bus to my class. I will spend most of the day completing (let's think positive) a large painting for my show at the end of the month. The rest of the day (an hour?) will be spent decluttering the chaise, and completing the kitchen clean up.

I'm going to make a detour to the coffee shop on my way to the bus to add to my walking minutes as well. And I need to continue my avoidance of the snacky things set out for the class. Did I tell you that after every class we get to rate that class AND rate the SNACKS??! The snacks are a big deal.

Billblueeyes
I chuckled when I read your comment to me as I did not notice I wrote ' instead of " after my report of our snowfall We, indeed, had 4" of snow and not 4' Ours was powdery dry blowy snow. Not your snowball-making snow which is much tougher to deal with. May this be the last snowfall for us both.

nationalparker oh! Sorry your elbow hurts. That's one of those body parts you take for granted until it hurts. Hope your PT clears it up right away!

love2garden I hope you get some rain today. I was just listening to a story about Karachi Pakistan. 20 million people and they are in a severe water crisis, a drought. And then my MIL told me about her SIL who traveled to the Philippines over Christmas to visit her DIL's family and in the streets somewhere she came across a person begging not for money, not for food, but for water. I haven't been able to stop thinking about that.

karenrn Always happy to hear of you and your chum Hiking Suzanne! Will you continue hiking in Washington? What was your impression of Machu Picchu? Was it the same as your DH's?

gardenerjoy Happy to see you back here posting and yes, sadly, I too can gain weight seemingly by being in the proximity of some foods. And, I have also, mysteriously, gained weight which would not let me go for a few weeks. It's incredible. Not to worry though. This "quick weight" does fall off rather quickly. You just have to re-define what "quick" means.

Have a good day gang.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-05-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back from Ireland after a 24 hour journey. Up six hours later and now we are off to work. Moving experience to go with my DH and DS to the land of our heritage. Went to Queenstown (now Cobh) and really felt what our family went through to give us the life we have now. More later. But as for food - ate full cream, full breakfasts, full desserts and didn't gain a pound because of all the walking, activity and small portions.

Off to wake up DS. Poor boy, it is 2 am our time right now.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Look at me -- I'm using my template! That's always a good sign that I'm doing what works for me.

I've got a busy day today -- a lunch meeting and the third of five presentations that I'm giving at libraries about Cuba. Lunch is picked from the menu and supper will be planned in the next few minutes around the evening presentation time.

WI: -0.7 kg, Exercise: +25, 140/1000 minutes for April, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: welcome home! I was happy with my weight after the Ireland trip -- good food, lots of fresh local ingredients, reasonable portions.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- a feeble wave I'm back at work but feeling not great again, it is really hard to shake this thing. Makes me realize how much I do take my good health for granted, and the fact that I rarely get sick!
We have snow and super cold weather too, everyone is grumbling. But the sky is definitely a spring time blue so we know its coming!
Anyhow- will get back to beckish stuff when I'm feeling better. I am really out of breath doing simple stuff and I can't deal with making better dinners, we are eating spaghetti and grilled cheese sandwiches for a few days, it won't kill anyone.
Take care all!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #39  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I just got home from my Bell Pass hike which is 2 1/2 hours and a good workout. I'm so grateful that my cold is just about over with. Just need to blow my nose a few times here and there. I decided not to carry the pack until tomorrow, just to be sure I was feeling good. I need to start though cause my Grand Canyon backpack is in one month.

Yesterday's food was just right about at the limit and no beer. I lost the other pound, so I'm back to where I have been hanging most of the time for the past year. I'm going to try really hard to be really careful this month and get a few pounds off. If I could get a tummy tuck I would be pretty happy at this weight. Since I'm not going to, I think I need to get a few pounds off and hopefully some of them will come off the lower abdomen.

Curlyjax I hope you're feeling better soon. It is no fun when we don't feel good.

GardenerJoy Yes, look at you! You're getting your mojo back.

Maryann Glad to see you back and hear you had a good time, good food and no weight gain. Always a plus. Take care and get rested up and then I look forward to hearing more.

Onebyone So glad the scale moving down is holding. What an encouragement! We're only going to be in Washington for a long weekend, so don't know if I'll get any hiking in. Both dh and I though Machu Picchu was beautiful and very interesting. However, we are both glad we had the weeklong trek. We don't think we would have been satisfied with just the train or bus to get there. We enjoyed all of the time in nature and all the eco systems we went thru, from high in the mountains to high jungle. We saw saw so many different plants, including, passion fruit, avocados, coffee, tree tomatoes and even hillsides of corn.

Bill Do you need to get any weight off? What's the matter with a few snacks? I wouldn't be able to limit myself with the trail mix though. I am looking forward to mangos again soon. I need to get to Sprouts where they usually have a decent price on them and see. I was so fortunate to get them at really low prices last summer that it pains me to pay what they ask for them lately.

Nationalparker I would not like the dog shaved down to look like a rat for sure. My mil used to groom their Schnauzer's and did a beautiful job. Keep getting on that bike and I hope your elbow is much better very soon.

More tomorrow.

Last edited by karenrn; 04-05-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #40  
in development

Just back from care and repair duties at my mother's. I read Wheat Belly on the train and decided to try out no wheat whilst there in a high stress environment. It worked beautifully: no tummy ache, no hunger, no exhaustion. I'm going to carry on and see where it takes me.

love2garden
, I'm delighted and amazed that my cranesbill suggestion (Roxanne) hit the spot from so many miles away! I love the hardy geraniums. So easy to split and their open faces are so good for bees. Thanks, gardenerjoy, for reminding me of mallows (also good for bees).

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-05-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 210/204/170-ish

Height: 5'8"

BBE...mango...yummmm. A friend from church went to the Philippines and brought back dried mango for me. She said doesn't even compare to tree ripened; kind of like pineapple in Hawaii. She ate so many she almost got sick!

Filling in for church secretary while she is on vacation. Easier tomstay on plan when you can't run to the fridge. Although the leftover Easter Egg Hunt candy is mocking me from across the room. "Get behind me, Satan!" 😄

Planning a cruise for 25th anniversary to Alaska Inside Passage in August. DH gets motion sick, so this should be LOADS of fun. (His choice, not mine!) I know, I know...why not just tour Willy Wonka's Candy Factory? I digress..
Opting out of whale watching, and other than Mendenhall Glacier, looking for "must see" recommendations.

Have a great afternoon, coaches! Stay strong and do the right thing!
Old 04-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #42  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Checking in early as a quick turnaround as soon as DH and I both get home. I'm debating running a quick mower just across the highest grass in a front yard area as it's a bit embarrassing now... I figured I'd do that tomorrow but read the forecast and we're in for rain/snow for two days. Will do if I can and skip without guilt if I don't have time. I do not want to mess with it, honestly. Was trying to come up with a dinner plan but realized we have dinner at our event tonight, so that's good.

The Reese's cups that I put in my desk a few weeks back tempted me this afternoon, so I pulled one out and set it on my desk. Then a random coworker walked by and started up a conversation. When she left, I realized, she helped - I didn't need it and so put it back in the open package and into my desk again. I wanted it because I SAW it.

Have many of you done the Beck "Memory Cards" - recounting times in which you faced down temptation or made great choices on a trip, or other instances where you used your Beck skills... and then review these? I sometimes think these would help me more than a reminder to DO it but rather a reminder that i CAN do it. Like put away opened Reese's cup because distracted and didn't need it. Or something like that.

Oh, the places we all go. This is a wonderful forum for traveling ideas as well! Maryann - Looking forward to hearing about your Ireland trip, Ani's Italy plans and the Alaska Inside Passage Cruise, Prairie Chicken, is one on our list as well, but for a while down the road, I think.
OneByOne - GREAT job sticking with it despite taunting thoughts to derail - and congrats on the scale number! Waving hi to all - and thank you, Bill, for the great "Today in history" notes. I love those. They're better than my thoughts of Oh, $1.31 ice cream scoops today... And hoping you're back feeling 100% soon, CurlyJax!

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi all. Oh dear, I’ve gotten behind. My last posting was way back on April 1, and what a lot I’ve missed in the meantime! Lots of new and returning faces. How wonderful. I’m enjoying catching up on everyone’s postings, and so happy to read what each of you are up to. This group is the most supportive and genuinely friendly I’ve ever come across. Thank you so much for being here.

I’ve been doing very well, OP eating all the days. Except today, one cave-in: ONE bowlful of $#@%$ potato chips that my dh STILL has up in that $#@%$ cupboard. He buys them, then forgets about them, since he’s not addicted to them. The sabotaging thought that finally succeeded in breaking my resolve today was “Oh well, I may as well eat em up. It’s now or never, might as well get it over and done with”. Actually, that thought FREQUENTLY sabotages me, and I assume others can relate. It came so fast, I didn't even THINK to pull out my trusty response card. NO CHOICE.

The good news. I stopped at one small bowlful. Then had a luscious orange. End of snack.

Other good news: I’ve started Lexxiss’s 5 minute strength training program and YAY, it’s working. Plus I’m starting a very slow rampup of (another) running program. A while back I started a "couch to 5K" program and got just a couple of weeks into it then stopped. This time I’m going to ramp up more slowly than the recommended schedule. It was the too-steep ramp up that discouraged me last time. In that prior experience, week 1 went well. Then WOW, week 2 was like… a zillion times harder. So this time I’m using my OWN pacing.

I made hummus for the first time in my life. I'm sure that manyof you are way ahead of me here, but I did it. It turned out great, and the last 2 day's lunches have been chicken and hummus on a burrito roll-up. Delicious. Also after reading about the health benefits of flax, I bought a pound of seeds and figured out how to use my blender to grind them. Easy peasy. They’re great on cereal and oatmeal.

I better do personals in a separate post. I’m sorry I’ve gotten so far behind, but I do want to speak to each of you, for YOU all are by no means far away from my thoughts. You inspire me and support me in so many ways and I thank you.

Ani

Last edited by dailypractice; 04-05-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches and buddies.

NationalParker: I love your phrase “A blustery struggle” and also loved the image of your pooch getting a bath… With my pooch, that is certainly a blustery struggle. For a dog that's a maniac about swimming and LOVES to plunge and splash around in the water she is demoralized by the water in a hose, she hangs her head like the saddest dog on the planet. Yay on your consistency with bike riding… sounds like that’s an excellent choice for you and you do great at keeping up with it.

Bill: Oh dear, 50 mph winds and snow? A heavy snow at that. Your snow-shoveling is certainly good exercise. I can see how the Easter baskets would be nearly irresistible. Kudos on your restraint.

curlyjax: I’m so glad for you and dh that his illness is not a sign of something serious. And sorry that you now have come down with a bug. I hope you’re feeling better now.

onebyone: The voices in your head that you describe… amazing. Those very same voices float around in mine as well. LOL. Yay on the scale falling and staying down for TWO days. Woo Hoo. Good work.

Sandy (love2garden): I envy you your hostas. Many years ago I had invested mucho funds in a dozen plants. After the first year most had slug hole damage. I tried every remedy my garden center suggested. After second year several were totally gone and the ones left were chewed royally. By year 3 they were non-existent. I LOVE hostas. My property in WA in is thick fir forest land so only shade loving plants work. But not hostas. Grrr.

MaryAnn: Your trip to Ireland sounds fantastic. Especially being it was with family to visit places of your ancestry. All the more special.

Debbie R (Lexxiss): I agree with you that weighing every day works for me. I couldn’t imagine once a week. The variability based on so many things, especially water and salt effects make such a difference. Plus by doing it daily, I learn to not FREAK OUT at it being higher than hoped. to say “Oh well”. I’m envious of your raspberry shoots. They are my fav. berry. How long of a season do you get with them? Are they hard to grow?

Prairie Chicken Hello, I don’t think we’ve met, so very nice to meet you. Your upcoming cruise sounds great. Where will you sail out of? I live half the year in WA state and many of the cruises go from Seattle. I’m sure you’ll have a great time. My bf had a career as a merchant seaman all the while suffering from sea-sickness. Go figure.

JoyfulJo Welcome Joyful Jo. Nice to meet you. And I Love the name you chose.

Gardener Joy I’m intrigued by what you call your “checklist of checklists”. I’m a list person too. It sure helps.

Silverbirch I don’t know if we’ve met, but I see you’re from Wales. You write of taking a train to see your mother. Oh, I have such fond memories of trains in Britain with MY mum. She’s been gone now these 20 years, but we made a trip every year to Britain over an 8 year period. Often involving trains. I envy you living on such a beautiful island.

Have a great rest of the week, everyone.
And keep on keepin’ on.
Ani

Last edited by dailypractice; 04-05-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #45  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker
Quote:
Have many of you done the Beck "Memory Cards" - recounting times in which you faced down temptation or made great choices on a trip, or other instances where you used your Beck skills... and then review these? I sometimes think these would help me more than a reminder to DO it but rather a reminder that i CAN do it. Like put away opened Reese's cup because distracted and didn't need it. Or something like that.
So glad you said this, I had forgotten what a wonderful help the Memory Cards are. I want to generate several from this week because this really has been a Beck success.

Bill The wheat roots could be what our garden needs to dig down in the lower clay soil and help break it up. Wonder where to find such seeds?

Ani Humas. How I loved that but had not had it in a while. By the way, I put my prize Hosta in pots, and so far the snails don't bother them. Those on the ground do well most years. One former stand for a bird bath now holds my favorite Hosta, June. I can see it from Dinner table and the Patio. It is truly safe.

Prairie Chicken Mango!!! My mouth is yearning for a taste like that. Reminds me that as kid growing up in the deep mountains with coal mines and little choice in food, we were starved for something other than seasonal and limited food, and bananas. Somehow the store always had iceberg lettuce and bananas. No nuts but peanuts, either. How fortunate we are now, but fresh Mango is sill not a choice.

Silver Birch Those wonderful Geraniums look as if they have never been bothered, all FOUR of them. The original hole has babies and look great. Sure glad you suggested the solution. Bees will be happy, too.

Karen Glad you keep giving bits of your hike in South America. Don't stop.

Today was the Brown Bag Book Club in nearby town. We had such a lively 2 hours of talking about the book The Nightingale It was one of the best books I've read in recent years and when we ranked it on a scale from 0 to 5 as high, it was about 4.7 with about 20 of of voting. Loved the discussion and the fun we all had. Afterward the conference moved to parking lot for at least another half hour. I do love being part of this group!!

No freeze last night, but I hear we still may get those dangerous low temps tonight or by Monday. I can do nothing but hope.

Villanova Men's Basketball Championship win had me so excited I couldn't go to sleep till after 1:00 AM. Really great game with North Carolina. Funny, we talked of that at the Book Club, too. I'm not the only basketball fan among the group of women.

DH talked about his success with no eating after 6:00 PM supper. I told him about Beck's Resistance Mussel and he really appreciated the image.

Scale moved a bit. Sandy

Last edited by love2garden; 04-05-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Closed Thread