Beck Diet For Life/Solution April 2016 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #16  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

love2garden wrote: Trying to discover what to plant in the 5 foot by 3 foot entrance to Path Garden to be compatable with the beautiful Pink Peony that is Queen of the garden. Annuals always work, but wold like perennials that are low and care free. Brick walk way surrounds 3 sides of the little bed. ANY IDEAS?

What about one of the geranium (cranesbill) family? Perennial, no bother. Depends on colour of your peony but I'd go for blue. Something like http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Flower+Plants/Wildlife+Attracting+Plants/Plants+Attractive+to+Bees/Geranium+Plant+-+Rozanne_232631.htm#CMRTabs Of course, it may not suit your climate. I can't remember where you are.

to all. Am considering cutting back on carbs as this was very successful for me once upon a time. And family events have me on the back foot so it would help, I think.

On phone so post may not be very tidy.

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-02-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #17  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Prairie Chicken - By no means am i popping you on the spot, but we'd love to see you here when you're able to this month - would love to hear your challenges and thoughts of how you could overcome those! We're all benefiting from each others' experiences and maybe your thoughts will be the key for another! Sometimes just venting worries helps

Struggling with never-ending access to food today. I have not done great. Weighed and am up for the first time in the five weeks of MFP. Up less than a pound, but up. Phooey. You'd think that would urge me to stay harder on course. Nope. Changed menu up for dinner after realizing the planned Thai Sticky Chicken fingers are about 130 cal per finger (and BAKED!) ... so I will fiddle with the recipe tomorrow and see what I can drop that doesn't add to the flavor. No outside work today - sustained winds at 35 and gusting to 55. Just out with the pooch was a blustery struggle.

Decided to wear my FitBit Zip that I haven't worn in months ... and put it on this afternoon and while I didn't get to 10K steps since then, I crested 8K. So now I want to actually put it on when I get rolling in the morning tomorrow.

Bill - Have you thought about keeping the oldie/goodie car if the cost of the muffler repairs is worth to have the car still running even if it costs more than the value since new one would be more insurance/registration than PLPD or not really? DH and I discuss how we think we'd be when we aren't both working and do we keep one car and two bikes or what. Fun to think about.

Will cut it short tonight - personals tomorrow - off to take a relaxing hot bath while DH enjoys Top Gear. I tried to get him interested in that BBC show and ... SCORE!

Welcome, JoyfulJo! Looking forward to "meeting" you more in the forum!

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-02-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:08 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome JoyfulJo

JoyfulJo

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 04-03-2016, 06:12 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - 1st Pony Express riders left St. Joseph, MO (1860)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Filled the Easter baskets for the adult children who came for a late Easter Dinner. Ever since we realized that we didn't have to give our kids cheap candy in their baskets, it's been fun to find new fruits and odd foods instead. And I love the excuse to go to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to buy stuff that I might not buy for myself. The strangest was Trader Joe's Bacon Jam - the very sort of product I'd never buy but did buy to surprise the adult kids. Fortunately, it's a small jar. Dinner was pot roast with many veggies and the big salad that I make that was appreciated. Oddly, no dessert, but it wasn't missed. I ate reasonably, CREDIT moi.

The kids all insisted that I need to replace my old Toyota with a new car. Naturally, they think the $100K Tesla would be great. (I never remind them that every dime that I spend comes out of their future inheritance, LOL.) I asked my DS to go shopping with me since he went with me to buy the old Volvo wagon for $2K that lasted for years and years. During the rainy afternoon, I read Grownup by Gillian Flynn, a very short ghost story - about the right length for her stuff.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Making a path sounds just right.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Yep, daily weighing keeps the jiggles in perspective.

silverbirch So neat that you recommended a plant that will be attractive to bees. It's so easy to forget that our gardens are part of the overall ecosystem. Good luck with the journey into lowering carbs.

nationalparker That's some strong wind. Neat that you're willing to change your recipes to get the calorie level that you want. [We'll definitely stay a two car family even though the second car may only make one or two trips a week.]

curlyjax - Hope you're feeling better soon. It's good to hear that some of the worst fears don't apply to your DH.

Sandy (love2garden) - Glad you got the RAIN that you needed.

Prairie Chicken - Kudos for looking at your feelings as you seek a path to a lifetime of rational eating. The decisions aren't easy.

JoyfulJo - Congrats on that one pound gone forever. Yep, using the Beck strategies sure causes big surprises about how fast we were eating and how much we were eating standing up. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#4: The People Pleaser Trap

Theresa made herself a reminder card to read every day that week in preparation for the following Sunday:
Remember the cost analysis. When I turn
down dessert at Suzanne's, she may be a little
disappointed for a little while, but she'll get over
it. If I give in, I'll have many, many negative
consequences. It's worth it to stand firm.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 97
Old 04-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #20  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A good day yesterday and a good week, as well. When I track I get to see my progress. This past week OP and weights 7 of 8 days. Credit. Weight trickles down. 4 hours in the yard yesterday and progress there. I have lots of new raspberry shoots coming up. It's my favorite crop since I love adding to my smoothies and it's fun since they seem to prosper here.

Off to work. Hopefully not Too crazy.

Welcome back, PrairieChicken!

Welcome, JoyfulJo!

Thanks, Silverbirch, for your geranium suggestion! My goal outside this year is to plant a bee garden.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #21  
persist

S/C/G: 296/286/145

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Sunday

Coaches:

A frustrating weigh-in today at 268.5. After seeing 267.3 five days in a row and seeing 267.3 for one day, the very last day of February only to have it disappear until March 29 then settle in and now vanish again, I find myself entertaining the sabotaging thoughts that "I will never be below 267.3 ever". First off, 5 DAYS does not a plateau make. Isn't that 2 weeks at the same weight or some such thing? Some would even say a month. Also, scale rise can be due to salty food (check!) not drinking enough water so body hangs onto weight (check!) and for me, my intuition is telling me EXERCISE UNTIL YOU SWEAT. Did I listen to the inner voice? No. I didn't. Is it still telling me to do that? Why, yes, it is. Will I do that today? voice is saying "maybe you don't have to. maybe not today. maybe it doesn't matter. maybe you'll hurt yourself. maybe you don't have time. maybe it'll make you too tired to do everything you need to do today..." This sabotaging voice is quiet, insidious, because it needs to stay hidden cause it MAKES NO SENSE.

I'm going to go do that 15 minute WATP workout right now and will check back in after. DID IT and it was 20 min.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-03-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #22  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Good morning coaches,

I'm up early to get cold symptoms under control before I go do my volunteer "greeter duty" at the Tom's Thumb trailhead from 8 to 10. The cold isn't bad and I feel like I am on the mend. I can breath. Just a hacky cough and the cough medicine works pretty well.

I did not exercise yesterday cause when I got moving too much the cough started up. I was pretty good with keeping calories in line, but I simply can't drop the calories enough with no exercise. I ate three meals and no snacks, but of course I did have the 2 beers on the patio. I'm getting ready to give them up for a bit again, maybe today.

I was productive getting some things ordered online yesterday. I ordered a new backpack, gaiters and gifts cards. I threw out one backpack after doing the Wonderland Trail last year. It had simply worn out. Hiking Suzanne is going to do the Grand Canyon with me and a couple of guys in May, so I need a 2nd to provide her with equipment. I always like to have a second set of gear. The gaiters are "Dirty Girl gaiters" and I'm planning to use them also on the Camino, so I'm getting them in time to try them out. I used our American Express points to get some REI gift certificates (for myself and dh). They have different number of points for different gift cards and REI is a pretty good deal.

I did lose one pound of the two I gained on vacation. It feels good to know that my current weight is fairly easily maintainable, even though I'd like to get a bit lower.

I think the housekeeper, Maria, is not coming back. She wanted to come right after we were going to be gone and I said (via text which is how we were communicating) that it wouldn't work cause we would be gone until the 30th. I sent a message after we got home, but have not heard back. I believe she is just fine and this is my out. I have been paying her $120 each time, every other week for 9 years or so. She stays about 4 hours and is not extremely fast moving. I was always satisfied because she was trustworthy and nice. I certainly have the time to do my own housework although I have not done it for years since I usually was working. Anyway, it is a $3120 savings per year and I can certainly find other things to spend that on. A full time petsitter for a vacation here and there for starters.

Okay, enough about me . . . more than enough about me.

Onebyone Try not to let that little bump in the scale get to you. It doesn't take much water retention to bump up the scale. Water is heavy, I know that from carrying it on hikes.

Lexxis Congratulations on your good streak. I'm envious of the raspberry plants. I think raspberries and mangos are probably my favorite fruits.

Bill I can't believe the fascination with everything bacon. I like bacon, but I think I can do without the jam, the ice cream and all the other stuff.

Welcome JoyfulJo!

Hello Prarie Chicken!

GardenerJoy I'm glad your back is somewhat better. I'll continue to hope that Spring will be helpful to you getting really back on track. I will say that my weight has yoyo's my whole life and the older I get the easier it gets to stay within a narrower range. I'm 62, so I have quite a few years on you. I hope it gets easier for you too.

Loves2garden Enjoy the beautiful blooms and I hope you get needed rain.

I had better get ready to go. Waving to all!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

A part of me would like a big dramatic turn to healthier eating. But that's not what I'm doing right now. What I am doing is a few small things well and giving myself CREDIT for them, which increases the likelihood that I'll do them well tomorrow, too. If I add a new small thing every day this month, I'll be on track by the end!

PrairieChicken: great to see you here! BTDT on the weight loss surgery exploration followed by the realization that it won't fix any problem that I have. Neither will magic pills that reduce appetite -- my problem isn't what I eat when I'm hungry, it's what I eat when I'm not hungry!

love2garden. How about evening primrose (http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...empercode=d238) and/or poppy mallow (http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...percode=g450)? I like silverbirch's idea of cranesbill, too.

Welcome, JoyfulJo!

BillBlueEyes: Bacon jam appears on the menu of our favorite lunch restaurant. It makes a nice occasional treat but not something I'd want in my house.

nationalparker: we had a windy day here, too! I had an outdoor activity that was quite a challenge. Seems to have died down a bit today -- at least so far.

Lexxiss: love the image of raspberry shoots.

onebyone
: yay for getting WATP done for today! I think your sabotaging voice and mine plot out their destructive messages together. They sound so similar!

karenrn: thanks for the encouragement that maintenance might get easier for me. I can imagine that and it's helpful!
Old 04-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 210/204/170-ish

Height: 5'8"

Good afternoon, coaches! Sunny, windy, 70 degrees in SW Missouri. Makes me want to pull back the mulch!

love2garden I love some of the new "corkscrew" grasses that I found last year at garden centers; showy, unusual, and adds interest. Grooving on miniature roses; keep adding them outside after Valentines, Mothers Day, etc, but don't know if they are hardy in your zone. Kalidescope Abelias.

Just sent DS #1 back to university after his spring break. He was not able to go "south" with his buddies, so to compensate, I tried to make all his favorite meals and foods while he was stuck at home with his boring parents. Lucky that his favories, for the most part, are not MY favorites! Stayed on plan, tracked, and pushed away from the Easter candy. Proved to myself that it can be done.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #25  

Height: 5' 2"

PairieChichen That corkscrew gass is interesting. It would bee too talk for my area but thanks. Glad you had time with your son.

Bill False alarm with rain, driveway didn't even get wet. I had to water some fairly new plants.

GardenerJoy Absolutely love Primrose, and have tried and tried to grow it, but that one defeats me completely.

SilverBirch Perfect!!! Rozanne Geranium is my favorite and I have it in 3 garden beds but hadn't considered it. I divided one in 3 parts last year and all survived so I could save some money by dividing what I have. What a great and inexpensive solution, thanks.

Karen Hope that cold lets go of you soon. Glad it isn't more serious, but taking it easy is kinder to your body.

Today is Divine Mercy Sunday that we celebrate in the Catholic Church. What a glorious day to be outside and some of the shrines in USA and Europe are outside. Ours was inside with incense that drove me out quickly when the hour was up. I like the new Church we go to where they don't use incense because so many of us react very badly to it. I'd forgotten that our former Church (where we went back to today) is very liberal with incense AND Easter Lilies that can cause tears and sometimes Asthma.

Trout Lily is blooming in front garden. The beautiful 15" leaves are waxy and luxurious. The blooms are 2 on a stem and shaped like little yellow pagodas. True from California Mountains, and by mid may have completely disappeared. I put them by front door so we could see them often for the short week to 10 days they bloom. The Appalachian Mountains have trout lilies that I also grow in the back garden, but the bloomb on them is small but a delight and again disappear not long after blooming. Strange thing about native ones is that they continue to pull down with root so that if I dug them up they'd be several inches below where I planted them and keep pulling down. Wonder why?

Sandy
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #26  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Well, I figured on a busy day but not THIS busy. Still have office work to finish up but I think I'm calling it a night now. Got up and on the bike for 14 miles this morning, then shaved and bathed pooch. I grumble about it and then DH says let's just take her in to the groomer. To which I say, "We didn't spend all the money on the good clippers for nothing... and that'd be like $3600 for the next 10 years..." ... same song each time ... got some good cleaning done (not near enough) and made garlic sticky noodles and ate too many of them for lunch. They go down too easily and I think I'm going to make that a rarity. Though I guess it was a few weeks ago when I made them last time. Busy workday tomorrow and I have to ratchet it down tonight. Sorry I'm missing personals again. We parked and walked downtown to our event tonight, and saved $ on parking and got in two miles each. Bonus!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Maya Angelou born, American poet and author (1928)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Woke up to falling snow! Egads! It's spring. We did have to clear the cars since the temps were predicted to drop below freezing. The sidewalks took care of themselves. Our standard Sunday walk was blocked because the winds were gusting up to 50 mph. It's predicted to snow slowly all day today.

Food was OKish. I had more morning snack than planned because I was talking to friends but had a light lunch to try to balance. Dinner was lentil soup so I got to feel like a vegetarian-for-a-day. Wasn't a good day. Wasn't a bad day.

onebyone Sabotaging thoughts come in color to the artist, LOL. Kudos for the instantly executed WATP workout.

Joy (gardenerjoy) So sane, "a few small things well."

Debbie (Lexxiss) Yay for homegrown raspberries. Congrats for trickle down scale readings.

nationalparker "Garlic sticky noodles" do sound like a food that'd be easy to overeat. I've watched the dogs being groomed in the local mall's pet store - they look terrified.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for FREE REI gift certificates. I'm about to lose my only American Express credit card because I get it with Costco. I have to decide if I want to get another one for the additional yearly fee. However, I've never in my life had as many credit cards as I do now and new offers arrive every week. Congrats for doing so much hiking that you actually wore out a backpack.

Sandy (love2garden) - Thanks for the Trout Lily info. Don't know why they keep growing down, but it sounds like a healthy idea.

Prairie Chicken - Kudos for "pushed away from the Easter candy" - that can be a challenge when it's visible.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

Escape the People Pleaser Trap

Sometimes we unduly focus on and magnify the cost to the food pusher if we resist. We just don't recognize the consequences when we let a food pusher hold sway over us.
  • Do a cost analysis. What are the costs to the food pusher if you say no? How great are the consequences to him/her? How long will they last?

• Consider the costs to you if you give in. How great are the consequences to you? How long will they last?

• Think about what advice you'd give to a friend if the costs to him or her of a certain decision were much more severe than the costs to another person.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 98
Old 04-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #28  
Green Tomatoes

Weighed myself. I can't believe it's even possible for a person to gain weight as fast as I did in the last six weeks. Sigh. Putting that behind me and on to better things.

I organized myself for better eating over the weekend. I know that it takes a lot of structure to get me to do this thing that I claim I want to do. My current system is probably too complicated to be sustainable, but if it gets me going this week or this month, it will serve its purpose. I have a checklist of checklists (no joke)!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #29  

Height: 5' 2"

Bill I've always been as fascinated with plants roots and their underground environment as I have of the above ground growth. I even plant worms in areas with good compost added to support them.

GardenJoy Your words could have come from my own. Yesterday I gave up my stubbornness against counting calories and began at breakfast with goals and logging. Today, too. Just for April I vow I shall do all I know to do to get this doggone weight to drop.

Sunny and warm here, no rain in sight and our forests are dangerous in spite of the new moist growth. Often the dams release water as they expect strong spring rains. WHERE ARE THE RAINS???
Old 04-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #30  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Good morning coaches,
Just got back from a shortish hike with Hiking Suzanne. She bought a new backpack in preparation for our Grand Canyon trip, which will be her first. Since I am still recovering from a cold, I didn't carry any weight yet. It felt good to get back on the trail and I wore my new trail running shoes, Brooks Cascadia. They feel pretty darn good. A lot of people are foregoing hiking boots/shoes in favor of the lighter trail running shoes. I'll see how it goes.

Yesterday's food was a little over, by about 2 beers if you can imagine that. I'm planning that this is the day that I go on the wagon for the next 10 days before we leave for Washington.

Love2garden and GardenerJoy, sometimes I have to get pretty rigid with my plan to get going. In fact I might need to do that now. Just know we have all been there, or at least I have. We can all do it!

Bill Snow? And we got in the pool for the first time yesterday. Now I'm not saying the pool was really warm enough, only 70 degrees. Since it was 85 or something it felt pretty good after sitting in the sun to warm up. I need to even out my hiker tan a bit. My feet are white. I put sun screen on my legs from ankles to above the knees and will hope I can even it out before the wedding on the 16th.

Nationalparker You are such a hard worker. I am game to do the housework, which I will do some of this afternoon. But I draw the line at the dog grooming. Actually I think I would make a mess of the dog. Good for you that you can do it though. Harley was going every 4 weeks at $65 a whack. We're having a nice little reprieve this year.

Prarie chicken Sounds like you're on a roll. Keep it up.

Well, I better get moving. I am getting with it on the housework. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Closed Thread