3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/308893-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-april-2016-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

silverbirch 04-18-2016 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizardnumbers (Post 5254327)
I have a very small moleskin notebook I'm writing my ARC in and my response cards and notes from each day. So far I am doing a page for each day, and trying to read through it as much as possible. This has been really helpful so far. I keep the notebook in my purse and use a matching one for a to-do list, so I can keep it on my desk at work (with the cover closed) and not worry about someone seeing.

I was singing the praises, just a little up the thread, of using a Moleskine notebook for my food and exercise! Great idea of yours to put your ARCs in it. I've rather slipped with reading and updating those so I'll try that idea out. Thanks!

gardenerjoy 04-18-2016 10:01 AM

I got no change on the scale with stir-fry as last night's supper. I also slept well without bloating symptoms keeping me awake in the wee hours. I'm going to take that as an indication that I have the serving size right and soy sauce can have a (small) place in my life.

WI: NC kg, Exercise: +40, 575/1000 minutes for April, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, lizardnumbers! I remind myself to post every day with a Morning Routine checklist. Besides "3FC Beck," the list also has things like "Process overnight email" and "Brush teeth" (yeah, since I work at home, I really do skip brushing my teeth if something doesn't remind me to do it!)

love2garden 04-18-2016 10:12 AM

NationalParker NOTE: V8 juice also comes in LOW SODIUM

love2garden 04-18-2016 12:20 PM

Gardening is much harder than it used to be. 2 hours weeding, mulching, watering and I feel as if I ran a marathon. Oh,, yes, CREDIT I also walked 23 minutes in neighborhood. Activity is very good today.

DD#2 flys back from her training in Washington today. Her stories will be fun to hear. She has posted on Facebook and I'm amazed at the great line up of artists that demonstrated for the group. So glad she got the grant and the opportunity to go. Praying for her safe return now.

Food continues to be within range, but scale has only dropped one pound in April. Can't be more active and there is very little I can cut from diet. Just must accept it will take far longer to loose the necessary 30 pounds before Dr. will even consider replacing my left knee. Got to be grateful for the good health otherwise.

House is quiet, time to go review some Beck. Sandy

BelovedWarrior 04-18-2016 01:29 PM

Just passing by for the time being. I intend to read some of your old posts ... every little bit helps with inspiration. I did purchase the "pink" book, but have not had, nor taken, time to get into it.

I have one quick question. What does "moi" mean? I looked in the acronyms but didn't see it there.

THANK YOU! to each and everyone of you.
:hug:

onebyone 04-18-2016 06:10 PM

frustration.

Coaches

So I had to move the ticker up 2 lbs. 266. :( I am feeling very very frustrated. All I see are calendar days zipping by with unwanted changes to the scale weight and still no real changes to the tape measure. I'm not sure what is going on but I think that trying to lose weight at this age I am at now IS harder than it used to be. As everyone says that as you get older it gets harder, well I have to agree.

I have been very low carb since February 1st. I went off plan 10 days ago (10, 9, 8 days ago) and at the end of this week I bought and cooked a ham. Which as we know is salty to the max and I am a salty sponge. I soak it up and then hold water like crazy. Probably that's what's going on with me. still say to myself :devil: "You're failing. This isn't working. DO SOMETHING ELSE STOOOOPPPPP." Yeah it does feel all panicky inside me right now like this just isn't going to happen. I don't have the tools. I don't know how to do this. And the the worst little voice says "maybe something's wrong with you." It just whispers cause it's scary. I have my annual enormous check up and every test under the sun day May 25th. So that whisper will be put to rest. I'm just panicky like I said. I *so badly* want this weight off. I can't remember the last time I was so focused on this. So, in the spirit of trial and error, I am going to implement intermittent fasting into my day. I'm going to stay low carb but add in a fruit, which I haven't been doing, and I'm going to do the 16/8 daily which is fast for 16 hours eat within an 8 hour window. You are okay to eat whatever you want but I will stick to my low carb plan as I am really intensely concerned about not raising insulin levels so green things, smaller portions of meat, and now a fruit a day and limited cheese (I can really overdo the cheese) plus exercise 5-7x a week for 15min minimum. That's my plan. We'll see if the timing shakes things up. I will try this until the end of April, then re-assess.

Beck. So awesome. Love it that we are allowed to change our plans and to find what works for us as individuals. Thanks for being here.

onebyone 04-18-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelovedWarrior (Post 5254538)

I have one quick question. What does "moi" mean? I looked in the acronyms but didn't see it there.

"Credit moi" = I'm giving myself credit. Moi means "me" in French. Just a Beck forum thing ;)

karenrn 04-18-2016 06:56 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

As usual I'm glad it's Monday and a getting back on plan day for me. Dh and I had a wonderful time in Washington. We fit in a lot in only 3 days. First we saw his Mom, and his brother and family. Everyone was fine and we had a good visit.

Then back to Seattle to see good friends and spend the night. Neil is coming down in a couple of weeks to backpack the GC with me and has not done it before although he has done some backpacking. We had fun going thru his stuff and eliminating things to lower his pack weight. I know he is feeling more comfortable about it now.

Saturday we headed over to Kirkland, across Lake Washington from Seattle, and stayed at the hotel where the wedding was held. We had lunch with the father of the bride and then just had a great time seeing friends. The weather was wonderful and we were in an open sided tent looking out onto the lake. Yesterday we had a leisurely morning and flew home in the afternoon. The flight was only 2 1/2 hours. We must have had a tail wind.

Today I got up and hiked Bell Pass, then came home and got cleaned up. I shopped at Costco, Sprouts and Fry's and then had a nice little after lunch nap. Since then I've been to the phone store, gotten gas and hit Total Wine. It's been a productive day and I feel good to be back with my own food and not too much of it.

Tomorrow I'll hike again and then Wednesday I'm heading out early for a one night backpack in Sedona. I'll be trying out my new backpack, so that will be good.

I need to get back to a few things before dh gets home from work, so personals tomorrow.

nationalparker 04-18-2016 07:31 PM

Hello, all! Realized in a despondent moment this morning that I have less than four weeks before my major event. I had wanted to be under 170 for that. More to the point, I want to fit much easier into my capris/pants. That's not a lot of time, in a super busy work time with lots of later-worked nights. I think I either decide to do this. Or hush up about it and just get through to then, and then get through the event. The time is going to pass either way. I'd much rather show up feeling more confident and not worrying about tight clothes. Unfortunately I think I'm a few pounds up anyway. We'll see at this coming weekend's weigh in. I need a few days to refocus in all honesty. Did okay with breakfast and lunch today so far ... option was fish or beef at lunch, so I circled back and took more salad and a few more fingerling potatoes and carrots. Hoping dinner is not a fast food option, but decision is not mine.

A few of us on here seem to be hitting a bit of a mental wall. Let's band together and push through the rest of this spring. It's only nine weeks. ONLY. I haven't been motivated that long for a long while. I'm on day 51 or so of logging in all meals into MFP and almost got caught with my computer on Eastern time but myself on Pacific time and missing out yesterday. I admit the first month I logged, I was looking to log much more nutritious stuff than I have here the past few weeks of "just get the meal cooked" or "just get through the day" mentality.

Apologies for a random, whiny note.

BelovedWarrior 04-18-2016 08:23 PM

Thanks for the answer. :goodluck: to you all with your plan. See you done the road!

lizardnumbers 04-18-2016 11:10 PM

love2garden Thank you! I am really enjoying the book and approach a lot so far. I have been doing the journaling parts into a password secured app on my phone, and it's been very helpful too. It's helping me to get some of my thoughts out about particular days while I work out what response cards I might want, etc. I hope your DD had a safe trip back.

onebyone great job planning for exercise! that's one of my short-term goals to work on. You sound like you do have the tools! Sometimes we just misplace them temporarily. Beck's flexibility is awesome.

nationalparker That is really neat about the moleskin! And I really relate to your note about trying to not feel guilty about catching up on everything whenever you post -- that sort of guilt has made me drop off of online groups in the past, and I really don't want to do that here. I am so excited to find a group that is working through the same principals and I am enjoying reading everyone's suggestions and experiences. And Credit for getting in 10K steps! Oh and a note for your struggles with time organization --- I was just reading ahead slightly in my Beck blue book and day 8 I think is about Making the time --- That one is going to tough for me but something I really think I need to read closely and do --- because my days sound a lot like yours -- late nights and flying by before we know it. Good luck on your goals, have a great week!

BillBlueEyes Thank you! I'm amazed and impressed that you've been following the Beck system for 8 years --- it is great to see it working as a long-term strategy! I came across the book online when trying to find some motivation for weight loss / general health --- I tend to be a rather emotional person, and sometimes I get motivated and lose weight, but then something derails me ---- and I really relate to the idea of that being sabotaging thoughts. I'd read some about CBT before and have always been interested in how our thoughts shape our actions, and I am interested in using it to help me feel more control over my eating and healthy choices and feel like less of a roller coaster ride. So I purchased the digital version of the book and am reading it on my tablet, and working through the writing exercises separately. When I got to day 6 about a diet coach, I thought I would look on google and see about finding any online groups following Beck. I have joined online weight loss forums before but they have been more concentrated on a competition like weight loss each week or minutes exercised. I like that the Beck approach is more at my own pace and helping me deal with whatever I want my health goals to be. Anyway I am so happy to have found you all!

silverbirch moleskin books are great aren't they! I've just sort of rediscovered them -- I love that they're so compact and easy to carry around, yet nice and sturdy.

gardenerjoy I love morning routines! I'm working on revamping mine actually and I do think that's where i'll be adding these (maybe to my evening routine though, I'll have to see which works out better). Credit for figuring out how to include stir-fry! I love stir-fry, such a great way to have lots of vegetables

karenrn Credit for the hike, sounds like a wonderful trip!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
I'm trying to take my time on the days so sometimes I'm not making it through a day at a time. So today I'm still doing the diet coach stage and starting on changing your environment. I had a much more stressful day than expected including a dentist appointment but I am giving myself credit for reading my ARC card a couple of times today and I did sit down and slow down when I ate. Tomorrow I'm going to finish up my response cards on a diet coach and start working on my environment -- I have a snack drawer at work that's getting a makeover tomorrow. :)

BillBlueEyes 04-19-2016 07:34 AM

Tuesday - Halley's Comet (0.0898 AUs of Earth, 607 A.D.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was a play period with DGD. When I show her something while carrying her around our yard and she's not finished studying it, she lurches back toward it as I try to walk away. At seven months, she's fully in there making up her own mind about what's to happen next.

Food was only OK. Meals were fine - including a vegetarian dinner. Snacks found some trail mix left over from an event. We had brought a bag of trail mix as our addition to a snack table but had it soundly rejected! We were in the basement of a library that had a strict policy of no nuts in the building. "But we're all adults at an evening event," I protested. Nope, library policy stands 24/7. That's getting strict. Sadly, someone had to consume the opened package before it spoiled.

onebyone – Kudos for continuing to search for the eating plan that works for you.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for finding your Soy-sauce balance.

silverbirch – I'd never have guessed that Moleskine was contagious. Thanks for getting us started.

nationalparker – Looks like you're entering your busy time - being attentive to your own needs, like you're doing, should help with that. Kudos for working out a solution to choices at lunch.

Karen (karenrn) - Sleeping in an open sided tent overlooking a lake has me green with envy.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for a bunch of exercise to celebrate Patriots Day.

lizardnumbers - Yep, a dental visit can be stressful. Kudos for taking on the Change Your Environment strategy.

BelovedWarrior - Waving as you pass by. Feel free to join us as it fits your needs.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

Consider the following sample escape plan as you brainstorm and craft your own.
Escape Plan: Food Pusher Trap
Situation #1: GNO - Girls Night Out with Jackie. I love her, but it's hard to stick to my plan when we're out together.

Sabotaging Thoughts: Jackie will be too insistent.

Reminders: I can be just as insistent back. I don't want to be sorry later for giving in.

Strategies: Stand up to Jackie.

. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 103

onebyone 04-19-2016 08:18 AM

Good Morning

Coaches

Whatever crazy mechanisms needed to click into place finally did and I saw 264.6 on the scale once more. Credit for weighing. Thank goodness. I stuck to it even though I seriously doubted myself. I may not have done that without you guys so thank you for your fine examples of sticking to it and simply getting back to it too.

As I have decided to implement minor tweaks to my food plan strategy I decided to do the same with my exercise. I want to make sure I sweat a bit and get my heart rate up a bit so this morning I opted to do 2 min walking on the spot then 1 min jogging on the spot then repeat. I did this for my 15 min of required exercise. I also did it as soon as I got up, which is something else I have wanted to do. So that's my official exercise. Unofficially, I will still try to get walks in if I want them/need them/could use them. I like that new park cause I can sit near the water's edge. I need that. I'm going to let myself have that. Credit moi for healthy rewards!

My paintings are coming along for my show. This is great. I have one more about to be completed and a fourth 2/3 done. It came together quicker than I thought! Great news for me as I would like 3 more before I hang my show on Friday evening. Credit for working through the rough spots.

My big challenge will be the snack table at the art business class tonight. I will do what I did last night and instead of eating the snacks I will take their picture and have water and coffee. I will be in my official fasting time anyway so it doesn't matter what it is, I don't eat. Actually for two reasons I don't eat it: it's sugar manufactured carby crap and it's during my fasting time so--good!

OK off to start my day. Have a good one Becksters!

Prairie Chicken 04-19-2016 08:56 AM

Good morning , Coaches!

Went to DS's fraternity Mom's Weekend; lots of alcohol consumption by OTHERS, credit to me. Logged all food and stayed OP.

Now in Kansas City with sisters for shopping and DaVinci exhibit. Lots of walking and laughter. KC is my post-college stomping ground. Trying to hit the favorite restaurants and haunts while being a responsible eater. So far, so good.

No weight scale available, but feel confident that it will be a trip that did not send me spinning backward. 😄

gardenerjoy 04-19-2016 08:56 AM

I've got a challenging week with lots of meals out -- including 2 today! I'm going to do the best I can and accept whatever weight I get. I'll hold on to some water because of the sodium, so I refuse to panic about the scale reading. Checking the calendar....yep, next week will be easier and the week after even easier. It helps to know that this isn't a permanent thing (my sabotaging thought was that every week will be like this, never mind that last week wasn't).

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +40, 615/1000 minutes for April, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BelovedWarrior: Great to see you here.

onebyone: your sabotaging voice is echoing mine right now, except mine (for the moment) is talking about my creative work -- in the exact same panicky, "you'll never do this thing", "something's wrong with you" way. Sheesh. I'm finding it helpful to take 5 minutes now and then to really get in touch with my emotions. I'm using the "Head Office" process in A Blueprint for Your Castle in the Clouds by Barbara Sophia Tammes. Generally, I discover that there's shame, fear, and a touch of anger involved. I'm not allowed to leave a situation in the Fear folder unless I'm 100% sure that it's true. I'm almost never 100% sure that it's true that I'll never do this thing and something's wrong with me. That's usually the point where I discover that there's some underlying desire and determination -- emotions that are actually helpful in addressing the situation.