Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #16  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan and within calories and yesterday's walk turned in to 8 miles, credit. However, I never did see the house my friend just bought. Of course I didn't ask for the address, I was just heading there for a destination. I attended the Daniel Plan meeting last night. It was slightly motivating. I don't seem to feel like making the time to really be sure I have the necessary foods in the house and tweak the diet slightly. It's not much different than how I regularly eat, minus a beer here and there and better portion control.

Today I'm getting back to my class at the Y. I'll either have to get some miles in on the TM or elliptical or get a walk or hike in this afternoon. I don't want to fall behind on my challenge.

Curlyjax Good for you for that early Spring cleaning. I need to get motivated to clean the outside of the kitchen cupboards.

Bill I used to feel the need to finish books also, but not anymore. I just quickly return them whether they are audio or real and go on my way.

Welcome Flower 1 I only have the Green book and since I don't have anything to compare it to, I find it is great. I bought it at the local Barnes and Noble on sale.

FutureFitChick Congratulations on the weight loss.

GardenerJoy Congrats on meeting your exercise goals. I really need to follow your lead on the strength training. I'm sure my class today will be tough since I haven't been there in several weeks.

Maryann I think it's great you were helping ds with his cooking badge. So many of the gals I grew up with lived in a home where their mother's didn't want the kitchen to get dirty. They got married without knowing how to cook. Once of them used to call me to ask how to make things. I think everyone should know how to fix a few things and feel comfortable with a cookbook.

Onebyone Good luck with the new food plan.

Millie You must have been thrilled when you saw the scale. Good job especially since you also were on holiday.

Waving to Lexxis, Nationalparker and Loves2garden!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Another morning meeting. I'm realizing how much they play havoc with my day. If I were queen of the world, all meetings would happen at 3:30pm. That must be a hold-over from high school -- the school day ended at 3:15 and after school activities started at 3:30. It seems like such a great time for a meeting, after the bulk of the work is done for the day and a little socializing is welcome.

WI: +0.25 kg, Exercise: +40, 40/1200 minutes for January, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

flower1: great to see you here! The green book worked best for me, but I've also gone through the pink book and most of the new blue book. It's kind of nice to have another book in the offing to keep you interested a few months from now when the energy might lag.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone Check

My streak of no sweets at work continues into a fourth month. Food logged and eaten.

Some anxiety symptoms at work but I didn't eat over them. I am just willing t continue to do the right thing until I start to feel better

Fruit salad: about four cups of fruit with 2 T of maple syrup. I t lemon juice, 1 t. Pumpkin spice.

Last edited by maryann; 02-02-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Today was a mixed day. I was not productive at all, again. Argh. I did increase my distance for my walk, which went well. Food was good. Just need to get deal with or over whatever it is keeping me from getting work done. Credit to me for yesterday using NO CHOICE while waiting for husband to get home late from work to eat dinner.

Bill Blue Eyes, I completely identify with the feeling of having to read everything. It was such a hinderance when trying to get through all of the material required in graduate school. Good job at getting in your walk and sticking to vegetarian meals yesterday.

Curly Jax, good job for getting in your housework exercise.

Flower 1, welcome to the group!

Gardener Joy, great job getting in your exercise!

Karen, RN, glad you had a good walk. I hope your class at the Y was great!

Mary Ann, congratulations on your no sweets winning streak! Excellent job at not eating over your feelings!

One by One, good job at following the Atkins book and getting your chicken cooked. I hope your new program is well!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #20  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Struggling to make time to post

Very busy couple of days. Food has been ok. Need to remember what I wanted to say in personals. Will commit time in the morning.overtired and need to get caught up. DH is getting sick and I don't want to catch it.

Working on being accountable to myself.I need to set myself up to not take shortcuts on this road. They turn into detours and dead ends.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:20 AM   #21  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - The Day the Music Died (Clear Lake, Iowa, 1959)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – During my walk, CREDIT moi, I got caught up looking at houses that I find particularly pleasing - trying to figure out how some houses have instant 'curb appeal.' I didn't figure it out, but did discover a recently renovated place that I'll bring DW with me to view again. Well maintained houses are such a joy.

Salmon for dinner - our Tuesday favorite. DW shops Whole Foods and buys what seems most fresh or on the best sale. If she follows every warning about sustainability, the list of choices is small.

onebyone – So neat that the Atkins Workbook serves you well. The 'before' picture is so often lamented for its lack of existence.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at wanting all meetings at 3:30 to match high school. When I first started my journey, walking immediately after work served that same purpose; for me, the walk replaced cheese and crackers.

FutureFitChick – So many days are "mixed days." I wish that I'd get over the feeling that I should have all 'stellar' days.

maryann - Love, love, love reading your no sweets as work success.

nationalparker – Thanks for the reminder that shortcuts can lead us astray.

Karen (karenrn) - Walking eight miles without seeing the house is terrific - now you can get the address and walk eight miles again.

curlyjax - My admiration for getting down on hands and knees to scrub the floors.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

#2: The No Alternatives Trap

Just reading through this list seemed to calm Elizabeth. She said she would continue to add to the list as she thought of other distracting activities.

A secondary problem with believing that if you're upset the only thing you can do is eat occurs after you eat: the inevitable consequences. Elizabeth and I talked about the numerous problems that arise after she uses food to soothe herself. She wrote down the gist of our discussion:
If I eat when I'm upset, I'll only feel momentary
comfort. Then I'll have 3 problems: the original
problem, then feeling bad and out of control,
and then gaining weight. When I want to eat for
emotional reasons, ask myself whether I want
1 problem or 3 problems.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 71
Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
Another quick check in- didn't get much done yesterday, I guess I needed a day off from cleaning! I did go to the mall to buy glasses and walked briskly around there, so that counts as some exercise. It was fairly empty and the kiosk gals kept offering me samples of lotion or something, i guess they must get pretty bored when it's quiet!
Today I have to go into work briefly but have the rest of the day to zip around and get things done, yay. I have the luxury of waiting until I am really hungry today and having brunch instead of two meals so that should work out well.
Happy Wednesday!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #23  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan and within calories and exercise was strength training class at the Y and a 90 minute hike, credit. I hadn't been to the strength training class since before I went to Washington, 1/7. It was tough, but luckily we choose the amount of weight we are working with. I REALLY need to keep it up. I can hike almost forever, but the upper body needs big time help.

Today I'm going to do a 10 mile hike with my backpack and 15 pounds in it. I'll work up to 25 to 30 pounds in the next couple of months. I'm enjoying listening to The Art of Hearing Heartbeats. When I finished my backpacking trip in September I hoped to keep hiking with a backpack a couple of days a week so I would always be in shape to do it, but that didn't happen. So here I go again. It's only 33 degrees here this morning, so I don't plan to get out there for a couple of hours.

Bill Yes, I'll get to do that eight mile walk again once I know my friend's address. It's an easy flat walk for those days I just need to get some miles in without it being too strenuous.

Nationalparker How exciting to get new furniture! What style did you choose?

FutureFitChick Good job staying on plan with the food even though work isn't going so well.

Maryann Great job on no sweets at work.

GardenerJoy I agree, 3:30 would be a great time for meetings. It would fill that before dinner time.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #24  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for forgetting a snack yesterday. I never do that.

I'm having cold symptoms -- runny nose, post-nasal drip, sore throat, now a cough. It didn't feel like a cold, though. I only felt run-down right after a sneezing fit yesterday. I thought to check my recent allergy report emails this morning and, sure enough, the juniper and cedar pollen showed up a couple of days ago. Not a cold, allergies. That's a relief.

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +55, 95/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #25  

Height: 5' 2"

Flower1 Glad you decided to join this good group.

Millie56 To be in the 150's is fabulous!!! Last time I saw that kind of number was too many decades ago. Now I'd be delighted to simply see a loosing number instead of the rising one I saw today on the scale.

Bill I agree with you that Sardines don't need anything but a simple cracker. Ages since I had any but with Lent coming next week I'll look out for some decent ones to enjoy as I "sacrifice
Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #26  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I've not been the most productive worker today ... I know I'll be rolling faster than I can manage soon, so I'm not worrying about wasting a bit of time.
seFood has been okay ... interesting to me, however, to note that I went to lunch with five other ladies today and it was also so a few could try "our" little pizza spot that has such great salads (raves) and ind. wood fired thin crust pizzas that are small. All five ate their pizza while I've conditioned myself to bring half of it home. Now "half" is about 12 bites, each mini slice is only about six bites, unless I'm nibbling to go super slow. Well ... what do I do? I got to thinking about it and ATE my other part after I got home and was hungry. DH will be home within the hour and I'm preparing vegetarian refried bean/onion quesadillas on wheat so not a big calorie hit but good fiber...will add some cheese but not load it up. I bought fresh pico at the market on Monday, so that'll be a nice treat. I need to eat until I'm satisfied, not until I'm "done".

Bill - I found a local observatory (well, sort of local) and will see what I can find on their site to do for DH's birthday. It says stargazing in winter esp Feb. in Indiana is often not fruitful. Is there a book you're aware of that would be especially interesting to him - he's very interested but also knows a decent amount about it, not a true novice like me.

Karen - I signed DH and I up for a talk at our REI by two people who have done the Camino de Santiago- it's later this month. We're looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to hearing YOUR recaps!! I wish there were an easy way for you to check in but then that's not "getting away" from it and letting your thoughts take center, I guess...I don't know enough about furniture to know what we chose! It's not ultra modern, sleek, but it's not traditional with legs, either ... I'd say contemporary with deep seating so you can really sink into it. I love that and DH has finally come around to my thinking on that. haha. I didn't want to spend this money this quickly on it, but it needed to be replaced.

Joy - Hope you're feeling better soon. I wonder if that's DH's issue - we thought he was coming down with a cold - sneezing, coughing, all you describe. Hmmmm...The allergy meds weren't working but maybe just too much in the air here too.

Lexxiss - You have just had to be so strong and stable for so many people, please continue to take care of you, too. I'm so sorry to hear this latest news. I wish there was a way we could help remotely.

Maryann - Credits on helping your son with his cooking badge! It sounds like he's interested in knowledge in that area - that will help him throughout his life! And kudos as well on the four month into the "no sweets at work" ... these are the hardest four months in the calendar!

Welcome, Flower1! I have the pink book and the green book, but I've not delved into the green one enough. I keep semi-starting here and need to REBOOT. I am allowing myself to get way too distracted with life and family issues and work instead of what I say my goals are.

Round of greetings to everyone - going to run to get a bit of pickup done before DH arrives.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I had a decent day today, and was able to get focused on some work. Food was on plan and I did the same distance for my walk as yesterday. I regret not weighing out the corn chips that went with my chili for dinner. But, it is a reminder for next time. I went to the grocery store and stocked up on vegetables. Tomorrow I am aiming to set a nice table for dinner so we don't eat on the couch. On my own, I have been doing really well at eating mostly at the table, but together we have been lazier.

Does anyone here use My Fitness Pal + Runtastic + iPhone?

Bill Blue Eyes, please share the curb appeal formula, once you nail it down. I'm glad to hear your wife observes the sustainability warnings for fish. Great job, as always, getting in your walk!

Curly Jax, good job at getting in your spontaneous exercise at the mall!

Gardener Joy, I am very happy you just had allergies and not a cold! Great job at the +55 minutes of exercise.

Karen, RN, great job on recognizing an area to focus on in your weight training class!

Love 2 Garden, hope you had a great day!

National Parker, thanks for the reminder to us all that "I need to eat until I'm satisfied, not until I'm done." I forget how far south you are, but there was an astronomy group we hung out with a couple of nights in Clinton county (Prairie Grass Observatory). They had lots of home-built telescopes, which was really interesting. I've also visited the ones in Bloomington and at Butler, which were fun too!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 02-03-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:50 PM   #28  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up And today

Coaches

Phone check in.

Was on plan. Credit. Weighed in. Credit. Did exercise. Credit. Washed dishes. Credit. Used workbook. Credit. Checked in here. Credit. Finished logo samples before deadline. Credit.

All is well.

PS. Forgot to mention my neighbour brought me food again. All homemade. I thanked her and tossed it out. It's not on my plan for today and I can't eat everything people give me anymore. I've attached a picture of her offerings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_20160203_230224.jpg (25.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 02-03-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Yugoslavia dissolved (2003)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, despite the threat of rain. I put one of those tiny umbrellas in my jacket pocket; that seemed to keep the rain at bay. Later, when DW went out, it was pouring.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, including pork chops for dinner. 'A' pork chop to be precise. I remember that I previously always had two pork chops and DW would have only one. The fourth was tucked in the fridge for my lunch on the weekend. It's good to remember that previously we were much more meat-centric and that I regularly ate much more than DW did at dinner.

onebyone – Major Kudos for avoiding homemade food brought over by a kindly neighbor - that's serious commitment.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder that it's not always a cold. I didn't have allergies as a kid so I don't think about them as an adult.

FutureFitChick – My current bad habit is have the whole bag of corn chips nearby; Kudos for realizing that you have to weigh yours.

nationalparker – It's a victory to "add some cheese but not load it up" - that stuff is easy to overdo. [The Astronomy text used in my course had both easy reading sections for the novice along with some current stuff: In Quest Of The Universe by Theo Koupelis. Used copies are very inexpensive.]

Karen (karenrn) - It was 60 degrees F here yesterday; I can only imagine what it's like to live in a cold place like Arizona, LOL. Congrats on that planned upper body work before your big trip.

curlyjax - Kudos for making brunch actually replace two meals.

Sandy (love2garden) - [As kids, we'd mix sardines with mayonnaise, mustard, and ketchup. Then we'd spread it on white sandwich bread. Hard to imagine eating that now.]

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

Escape the No Alternatives Trap

To escape this trap, you will need to test the idea that eating is the only way you can calm down. In actuality, you just have a strong habit of eating when you're upset. You may continue to rely on food until you develop confidence that you can handle negative emotions. In the meantime, distraction can help you avoid eating.
  • Think of as many examples as you can of occasions when you felt upset but had no access to food. What did you do? Did you eventually calm down? How accurate is it to say that you have to eat to calm down? Write a reminder card to reinforce the idea that the only way to decrease negative emotion is through food.

• Make a list of activities you can engage in instead of eating - for instance, people to call or e-mail, websites to visit, videos to watch, errands to run. There's also music, mediation, exercise, crafts or hobbies, yard work, housework, a soothing bath or cup of tea - so many possibilities. But don't wait until you're in distress to make this list or you'll likely just end up eating.. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 72
Old 02-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #30  
Green Tomatoes

A bad night with lots of snuffling, sneezy, and a headache that doesn't want to leave this morning. Guess I better make another cup of tea. I won't eat over this because food doesn't fix allergies. Caffeine helps with headaches, but food doesn't help any of my symptoms.

WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +30, 125/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Closed Thread