Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 01-01-2016, 06:07 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - New Year's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Completed the plumbing job by removing all the plumbing tools from the carrier and putting them away, CREDIT moi. That's a de-cluttering step that I often forgo - leaving the tools to be put away later.

Exercise was an annual square dance, CREDIT moi. It's family oriented so it's great fun with only medium exercise. Welcome 2016 everyone.

onebyone – So glad you found your wallet - that's such a threat. LOL at the one box that says "I don't know if I want this."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for being dry - some pictures in the papers are just awful. I'm with you in being ready for a new year.

maryann - Such a neat thought, "Time will pass whether I eat or not." Enjoy your hikes to the ocean.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for sticking to calories despite the change of plans.

curlyjax - Yep, Kudos for "felt a tiny bit of hunger last night but didn't snack."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 3 Stress Traps

#3: The De-Stress with Food Trap
Greg's Advantages List
  1. I'll protect my job.
  2. I'll have more energy.
  3. I'll be healthier in general.
  4. I'll reduce my risk of heart disease.
  5. I'll be able to move around a lot more easily.
  6. I'll be able to play with the kids better.
  7. My shirt will stay tucked in.
  8. I'll feel better about myself.
  9. I'll be able to bend more easily.
  10. My body won't feel so heavy.
  11. I won't be mad at myself every night.
  12. I'll feel proud of myself.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 58
Old 01-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches and Happy New Year!

I've been sticking to my plan and the water weight is coming off. Credit. So happy I came upon this restart. It's working very well.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit down about not being w/hubby and AA group for NYE festivities. I decluttered in the basement then decided to tackle the arduous project of restringing the small white lights on the fake tree. One set has been out for several years. Well getting the old lights off was a major challenge. It took quite awhile but I persisted. Then I didn't have enough replacement lights.....voila....my Sis called and asked if I wanted to meet up with her just West of the Divide. Soon, I was in the car anticipating a fun meetup. She suggested Mexican for lunch and I spoke up about my food plan so we renegotiated and stopped where I could have salad. Credit.

I took a nap later and committed to the evening AA meeting. I had been texting with my AA friend from Glenwood who was traveling to Denver. Later when I told her I was headed to meeting she was right at my Exit and decided to join me. It was so great to see her on this side! It was a perfect end of the year for me.

This morning I persisted and got the new lights on the tree. Not perfect but I gave myself permission to redo next year if needed. It halted my obsession. Credit.

Now I'm headed down to a meeting in Denver with a stop off at the fabric store. I was looking for nightshirts and they were expensive and cheap looking. Why not enrich my life now by picking a fabric I really enjoy and have the reward of making my own. (I picked the easiest pattern).

to all! I'd best get going if I am going to make both stops. My friend is traveling back over today and said she'd stop if I was home. I plan to be.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

I'm feeling physically icky from the abuses of overeating in the last week. It seems like that awareness should be all I need to stop it, but I know from experience that it isn't enough. I'm trying to be more aware of my body sensations today to see if it helps and I think it is.

I'm trying to become aware of all the things that I'm submerging and that's helping in some ways and hurting in others. Today I'll march for a cause and hope that dampens some rage about things that I can do little about as an individual but might have impact in a group. At least, I won't be alone and that's something.

New Year's Day is often my favorite holiday, carrying right through January. I wasn't sure I was going to get myself to the place of hope and determination, but it seems to be gaining some traction. Posting here helps with that. Thanks, y'all!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

Quick check in today. Food was too much last evening, but I expected that. I also had three beers over the course of the evening. That is the one evening that I had planned for alcohol, so now it's over until 1/8 when I attend a party in Washington. Wish me luck on that.

Food has been on plan today and dinner is planned. I got out for a 90 minute walk but didn't hike due to the air quality. For some reason I felt like if I don't breath as hard, it isn't as bad for me. The air is smokey from all the fireworks and wood burning. It isn't likely to clear much until we get a little rain next week. My 2000 mile challenge starts today so I don't want to get behind yet. If the air doesn't get better I can always go to the Y and get on the treadmill.

I'm up 2 pounds for the season. I did get down to 139 for a short bit, but I figured I was mostly 140. I reset my ticker this morning to 142 because that's what I am. I'm nearly finished reading the Daniel Plan book but just easing into it until I actually begin the small group on 1/11. For now I am getting back to what I usually try to do, no sweets, limited alcohol, weighing, measuring and journalling in MFP.

It should get a little easier for us since the world will be watching what they eat and hopefully some of the temptation is over.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Default Waving

Just popping in to wave. I was a pretty active poster in 2014 and it's nice to see some familiar usernames. I'm still following Beck. I was close enough to goal weight for many many months (yay!) but now there is creep up so I'd like to come hang out with you again.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Edited to add: I was just going back,to last month's thread to get caught up with you and I saw 1x1's tag: "do that thing that works." That used to be such a powerful thought for me and I haven't remembered it for ages -- thanks! I do frequently (near daily) remember "that's not about me" which BBE introduced me to so hat tip to you too.

Last edited by flnu; 01-01-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #8  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Happy New year

Beach holiday was perfect...returned to my brother's for two more days before driving back home. Food has been ok...two meals a day.

I miss the pets so much but alternately I don't want to return to winter weather. It was 85 degrees...warm for here as well ...

no scale and no weighing. We'll see what it is when we return home.

Listing what I want to remove from my life in 2016 as well as what I want to add to it. Food stress is on there.

Better check-in on Saturday. Good to see you flnu!!
Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #9  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default My Encounter with Resistance Today

Coaches

Today I was washing dishes when the handle of a cup unexpectedly broke in two as I held it slicing the outside of my left forefinger. All of a sudden a u-shaped gash was bleeding. I went to the bathroom and eventually DH came to find a bandage (guess where else I need to declutter/organize: bathroom closet) and I thought is this resistance? It is exactly the type of thing that would just stop me. So I raised my metaphorical uninjured middle finger to resistance and plowed through the dishes. I am finishing them before I head to bed even though it is late. I have only one dishpan of dishes left to do. I want to wake up to them done tomorrow morning.

Other things today: an unpleasant yet necessary conversation with DH re: finances *credit for talking

Neither of us think this year will be any good. It's his mother and my mother and he has no faith in me on a few fronts. I reminded him I mean him no harm and want a happy life and a real home. We'll see what comes of this over time.

All I know is I have to continue what I started. I will do that.

Have a good night Coaches.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:15 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Isaac Asimov born (1920)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Attended just the best ever performance of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons. The conductor read the sonnets that had been written for each section, telling us which instrument would be representing the different events. The audience was enthralled, giving the violin soloist a long standing ovation. The concert included another Vivaldi piece featuring the smallest recorder I've ever seen. At intermission, Champagne and chocolate were served. I managed to stick to just a piece of chocolate, CREDIT moi. A great ending to the holidays; I'm ready to get back to normal life.

Little walking due to rain. The snow is mostly washed away but the cold lingers. It's funny to hear the neighbors complaining about having to wear coats in the winter, LOL.

onebyone – Kudos for dishes done despite the wound.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for traction in hope and determination - may it last the year.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – So neat that you can pick a choice fabric to make your own. In my next life, I'm going to learn how to sew.

nationalparker – Terrific idea to think about what to remove from your life as well as what to add. Jealous of your 85 degrees.

flnu - Yep, we're here for to be hung out with and enjoy you here with us. Great idea to start with "do that thing that works."

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for that bad air. The rain is so crazily spread around the country this past month; hope you get some soon.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 3 Stress Traps

#3: The De-Stress with Food Trap

Greg described his routine when he gets home from work. As he walks in the door, his kids, Alma and David, "practically tackle" him. He barely has time to hang up his jacket before his wife calls them to the table. Dinner is noisy. Maria is tired, and she leaves it up to Greg to discipline the twins. He usually tries to ignore the fighting and eat, but it's hard to focus on enjoying the meal or even notice how much he's eating.

"The kids eat fast," Greg described. "They're done in ten minutes, and then they start pestering us to let them go watch TV."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 58
Old 01-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was on plan. The scale is dropping in response to my return to healthy choices. Credit. A gift to myself on NYE; a cute insulated lunchbox. I put it to use yesterday and took my lunch with me. Sat outside the sewing store and ate. ...made it fun.

BBE, kudos for only one chocolate at the Vivaldi concert!

Gardenerjoy, awareness doesn't seem to be enough. I often think of what you said regarding being a food addiction...either practicing or not.

Karen, hope your air clears soon. Denver has a temp inversion but I didn't notice when I was down.

Flnu, Welc ome back! Glad you have been able to stick with Beck.

Nationalparker, I miss my pups when I'm at work. Lol

Onebyone, hope today is better!

Off to a day entirely to myself!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
Credit for going on a walk with DH yesterday, then another short walk with DD later on. We all trucked over to a bookstore to use gift cards and buy a new calendar.
Maryann I thought of you because my son bought The Art of War! He had heard of it somewhere (not me) and is interested in war strategy. I told him it could be used for other things too!
Nice relaxing day doing not much, and now we have the weekend too which is great. I decided I wouldn't try to do too many things, just enjoy the extra day.
Food was okay- i need to make a good plan and make it happen.
Happy Saturday!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #13  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default moving on

Coaches

I didn't get to the dishes before bed late last night. I'm going to do them now.
It's very dark here. 8:28 am. Glad it's January and I need to remind myself this is my *least* favorite month.

Today will be spent cleaning and decluttering things! Yay!

Foodwise I will eat three modest meals today and I will walk 30minutes.

Bye for now.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

I ate better yesterday but didn’t manage to drink enough water. So feeling better but not as much better as I hoped. For today, more water, continued better eating, more listening to what my body wants.

flnu: Nice to see you!

BillBlueEyes: love your description of the Vivaldi performance.

onebyone: if you're still interested in the exercise challenge thread, here's January's version: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chic...challenge.html

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 01-02-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Day 13 is preparing for the start of the food plan tomorrow. I will eat only three meals today and use resistance techniques to battle cravings. On vacation I eat breakfast much later so there seems to be much less time in which I have to resist On the other hand, there are a lot more snacks in my face. In any case, I persevere. Long day yesterday to a wonderful wild animal preserve called Safari West. Giraffes can nibble your hair and an ostrich tries to hop in for a ride in the double decker jeep. Kids had a great time and the tour conductor was the most knowledgeable zoologist I had ever met.

curleyjax: Your son's book is the original title: Art of War. I think mine is a play on the title - War of Art. I wonder if they do have the same themes.

BBE: DS played Spring for his recital and it was wonderful. Hard for anything to beat the Baroque period in my mind.

Gardenerjoy: Glad that structure is remerging again after some chaos with food. I always am grateful when I can get back to sane eating rules.

Here's to all of us moving forward with our goals.

Last edited by maryann; 01-02-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Closed Thread