Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 173/162/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back home and a rough few days. Just emotions and life. I am starting a new med that will hopefully help some physical issues and I have fear it will make me gain weight. All the info from research says no but I just can't stand the idea of going backwards. "Oh Well" I have the skills and the tools to continue with a healthy eating lifestyle. Exercise, planning, sitting down while I eat - all these things are within my control even if the medication effects are not. Bill's quote was very apropos: set a clock for twenty minutes and experience the negative emotions. Do not act on them.

FutureFitChick: In June I had inexplicable nerve damage on my left side that left me on the couch for two months. It was followed by bouts of bursitis in both knees and plantars faciitis in the feet. I have been in physical therapy since July. I am so grateful that I have joined the land of the living again. Skiing was a big boost.

Karen: I have not had success with password keepers. I tried one "lockpass" or something like that and after I put everything in I was refused access unless I paid a monthly subscription fee. Bummer. Back to a piece of paper in my desk.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #227  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Finally Friday! Didn't accomplish a great deal at work. We have fun weekend plans, but tonight will just be relaxing and watching what I think is the last Sherlock with DH. First multi-night show we've both equally liked since, oh, John Adams!

Food OP today. Donut Friday (I'm sorry to say that EVERY Friday) and from a new bakery, so all were laid out flat in open huge box. Not a ONE. Credit. Rushed home for lunch and prepped a light one. Instead of going out tonight, we ate at home - not the most nutritious (turkey/cheddar sausage links with peppers and onions and a serving of tater Tots). All counted out and accounted for, so credit.

Personals in the morning when alone and have time. Thanks, all, for sharing your breakfast routines/thoughts!

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-29-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I had another decent day today. I picked up my pace for my walk a bunch. I was short on time, which forced me. CREDIT to me for getting up extra early and getting in my exercise. Food was good as well. I need to be patient with the scale though. I wish it moved faster, but I guest that means I need to move faster with my activity!

Bill Blue Eyes, great job getting in your walking!

Curly Jax, hope you are feeling better about the taxi-driving you've been doing.

Gardener Joy, great job skipping the extra snack!

Mary Ann, oh my goodness! That all sounds terribly painful! I am extra happy for you that you were able to ski so well. Try to keep your spirits up about the new medication. From what you have just shared, you are a strong woman and I have no doubt you will gracefully handle the adjustment!

National Parker, doing imaginary cartwheels for you at skipping the donuts!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #229  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Yerba Buena renamed San Francisco (1847)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Watched Men in Black (1997) with DW last night. We are so far behind in movies that we can choose anything that the library has sitting around, LOL. Will Smith looks so young 20 years ago. Perhaps it was a reward for solving the leaking shower problem that's been bugging me. I didn't know how a vacuum breaker worked with a thin rubber membrane that can tear - thus causing leakage. The membrane is easy to purchase online once you know exactly what you need. It took me forever to figure it all out; I was ready to replace the shower head and its hose both of which turn out to be just fine.

Food was OKish. Dinner was lentil soup so I get to chalk up a vegetarian day as a gift to my arteries. Walk, CREDIT moi, was to the local hardware store to determine that the part that I needed is too specialized for that store.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Yay for the simple pleasure of holding the great-nephew.

FutureFitChick Can certainly celebrate a "decent day."

maryann - "Just emotions and life" covers a wide swath. Your response is so Judith-Beck-like, "Do not act on them."

nationalparker It's so worthy of Kudos that you stand down Donut Friday even when they're from a new bakery.

curlyjax - Yay for busy - but Ouch for the late night chauffeuring trips. [I'd never heard of the World War II Museum in Natick. I'll add that to my short term Bucket List.]

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

#2: The No Alternatives Trap
You believe that if you're upset,
the only thing you can do is eat.
As Elizabeth's husband continued to experience health problems, developing alternative coping skills became increasingly important. Now that she knew negative emotions weren't harmful, we were able to talk about strategies that would be healthier and more helpful than turning to food.

I asked Elizabeth whether she knew other people who didn't turn to food when they were upset. "Well, yes," she said. Her husband turned out to be a great example. His eating remained pretty much the same from day to day. When Bill was upset about his medical condition, for example, he didn't turn to food. Instead, he talked to Elizabeth, took a short walk, or distracted himself by reading.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 68
Old 01-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #230  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
I have been craving homemade choc frosting so i finally gave in and made a cake, figuring its better to do it and share it, rather than eat a bunch of other stuff in search of that taste. the cake tasted odd- rather like frosted pancakes, as my son said, although he reassured me that was a good thing
I will give the leftovers to the kiddies today and move on. I've been avoiding the scale for a couple weeks but its time to face the music.

The weather here is so beautiful, we are so lucky in this area to have temps in the high 40s and even 50 predicted this week, it is so unusual!!
Exercise will be a walk today on a school track at some point with DD who again will nag me to go, but that is a good thing.
Maryann-sorry you are still having physical issues!! It has been a long haul for you, and you are way too young for all this. It amazes me how creaky and sore i feel, and i'm only 49, i thought this wouldn't happen until my 70s!
Nationalparker- have fun with your weekend plans! I keep meaning to check out that Sherlock....but I liked the old one so much, I may have problems adapting to a different style.
Futrefitchick-great job getting up early to exercise, I have a really hard time doing that, especially in the winter!
Bill-enjoying hearing about the movies. DH and I are amazed about movies we didn't even hear about in the early 2000s, when our kids were tiny and going out to movies wasn't on the radar. Thank goodness for libraries and netflix!
Wave to all!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #231  

S/C/G: ?/142/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Off plan food yesterday and no exercise. I felt fortunate to get on the scale today and see no gain. I know it could still happen if I don't really watch it. Since I hiked 10 miles the day before I decided I could take a day off again. I finished listening to The Obituary Writer first thing in the morning and then saw two movies, Spotlight and The Big Short. Both were very good but it's sad/disgusting to think about the abuse/fraud/cover-up that goes on. I went to the new theater in the mall with the comfortable seats and had a salad and a cookie for lunch in between movies. My movie going friends had already seen these two, so I figured I'd just go by myself, which I don't mind at all. Last night we went out for happy hour with our friends who will be heading back to MN in about 10 days. We will really miss them.

I'm meeting a friend to walk in an hour, so I'll get my exercise today. Food is planned and I will be home, so that's good too. I'm going to the movies again mid-day to see Brooklyn. I've heard good things and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I don't eat at the movies, so that's good too.

I still haven't sorted out the password stuff. I think it's going to be the good old fashioned way, write them down in one place. My concern is that I would have a problem when I'm out of the country. So I will likely make sure I know them all, write them down, and take a photo of the paper like I do with my passport and credit cards.

Have a great day all of you!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #232  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Scale at ticker yet again for this week's weigh-in ... so I'm somehow maintaining for three weeks (or more likely gaining on the weekend and then trying to get that off the workweek). Calorie counting starts today. I know it'll be an adjustment to get back to trying to count EVERYTHING (I resist at times measuring my portion when it's a recipe...but even if I'm close on that, it's better than ignoring it). I had to remember that earlier when I lost a good bit of weight and on into the maintenance for nearly a decade, I counted at least 5/7 days to not get too far off track. Why I think I can just wing it now baffles me. It'd be different if I was finding success winging it

Karen - Your day yesterday sounds great! I have never gone to back-to-back movies and that sounds like a great way to spend a wintry day. Don't tell me it got up to 70 though. haha. We do a small password book and keep it in our safe. I do not trust programs, because why would they not be hacked? DH did one and I said don't put any shared accounts in there (he did anyway, but still...) no trust on my end.

Bill - Credits for the continued home improvement projects that reach completion! Was debating on making black bean soup with cilantro lime rice today. I have lentil soup in the pantry but it's Progresso and it never calls to me. Maybe I need to try a homemade lentil soup recipe...

CurlyJax - I, too, am surprised/frustrated at the odd aches and pains and forget that I'm not 26 anymore. Just turned 50 and seems like this year I've struggled with more than the past few years combined. Stay the course with me this weekend! I need a partner in accountability because the weekends are the toughest for me.

Maryann - Hoping that today dawns with more hope and a lighter sense of being for you. You are good at analyzing feelings and that can only help you. Credits there!

Thought I'd allot more time for check-in here but need to get onto a project. Still struggling with ideas for DH. Thinking about taking him shopping for HIS recliner. Not an experience but something he's wanted for five years.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

So far today has been pretty good. I am just working around the house and going to do a little work now. Exercise went well, and I even got my husband to come along with me for the first mile. Food has also been pretty good, except I ate a small pretzel while standing. But, I stopped myself and ate the remainder sitting down.

Bill Blue Eyes, I had never heard of a vacuum breaker before. Credit to you for "Okish" food day.

Curly Jax, I hope the weigh-in was uplifting for you!

Karen, RN, sorry to hear about the bad eating the other day. It sounds like you are aware of it, so can make any changes you need. Good job!

National Parker, smart idea to get back in to tracking your food. I am very consistent with that, which is making me realize I probably need to lower my calorie target for the day to keep losing. The recliner sounds great!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #234  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default End of the month

Coaches

Phone check in.

I'm feeling good about my decluttering efforts this month. While it felt so often like I was falling behind truth is my studio is now functional. Needs a few more hours and I can hang my reward: a handmade mini chandelier (not electric) that I bought at a craft show I was at last summer for exactly this reason. Finally in a few days it will be up.

Today I condensed my boxes in the dining room to piling all of them on top of a bench. That gives me enough room to set up my easel for tomorrow. I'm excited to be able to paint on my large canvases at home.

Foodwise a rough month. I did have a strange thought. My friend who will be 60 in Feb has carried about 10-30lbs which affects her the way my much larger weight fluctuations affect me. I am 8 yrs younger. She is about 160. I'd like to be 160 when I am 60. That's 8 yrs from now. That's 115 or so lbs. That's 14.3 lbs a year from now until I am 60. That's 1.3lbs a month to take and keep off. What if I simply aimed for that? A 1.3lb loss a month +maintenance. If it was more, ok, but 1.3 consistently will get me there. It seems... too easy. Too modest. Very anticlimactic.

I am going to get back to weight loss as a priority. It was all over the map this month.

Bye for now.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:01 AM   #235  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Explorer I to earth orbit (1958)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Last night's entertainment was the best ever. Britain's Mark Rylance himself (Thomas Cromwell in Wolf Hall and Bridge of Spies) played in Nice Fish. Our seats were sixth row center - I could almost touch Rylance as he Minnesota-drolled his way through some laugh-on-the-floor stuff. It was unusual in that the script in its entirety was prose poetry by Louis Jenkins - an otherwise little-known Minnesota poet. Mark Rylance is right up there with Maggie Smith for grabbing my attention with small facial movement.

Eating was OKish. For lunch I had the worst canned sardines I've ever had. Some time ago I'd bought the can due to its attractive shape and decoration. It was three large sections of whatever fish with thick skin and an unpleasant lemony taste. Think I'll stick to my known favorite. I've got some work to get done on a volunteer committee that I'm doing so so slowly. I'm reading this section of Beck's Blue Book with interest.

onebyone Congrats for getting to a functional studio. Kudos for looking at a doable goal, "It seems... too easy. Too modest. Very anticlimactic."

FutureFitChick Kudos for recognizing that you were eating while standing.

nationalparker Yep, the urge to "just wing it" keeps coming back. Kudos for spotting that.

Karen (karenrn) - I'm impressed that you can do two movies in one day. Many years ago I went to a double feature but left at the beginning of the second because my brain was still processing the first. Kudos for choosing wisely between movies. The Big Short is on our list; naturally we saw Spotlight when it first came out since we were here when it happened.

curlyjax - LOL at "frosted pancakes" and Double LOL at the quick recovery, "that was a good thing." Kudos for using the warm weather to get a walk with your DD.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

#2: The No Alternatives Trap

Elizabeth's husband was a good role model for coping with negative emotion. "I guess I've just always used food as a coping strategy," she told me. "When I was a kid, my grandmother used to give me cookies whenever my older brother was really mean to me," she said. "I think ever since then I've associated feeling bad with eating."

Even if you have had a long history of calming yourself with food, it doesn't mean you can't change. Eating to soothe upsetting emotions is a learned behavior that you can unlearn, Elizabeth made a reminder card to help her remember this idea:
I learned to eat when I was feeling bad, but now
I can unlearn it. Bill doesn't eat when he's upset.
It's not a given that food is the only way to feel
better.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 68
Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 AM   #236  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

hi coaches!

MIA these past days as I dealt with too much "stuff". Rental still not resolved. Moving to top of the list is my Sister and medical issues. She has a return of active cancer and I attended appointments with her. Surgery seems to be the best choice with radiation a distant second. She does not want surgery but has an appt. next Wednesday to talk to the surgeon. I will attend with her.

I got home yesterday morning and in minutes my mom was asking if we could go to Costco. I took deep breaths and said it wasn't a good day (we would get stuck in massive ski traffic on our return.) I felt a tad guilty. Oh, well. I really needed to decompress. I couldn't find one thing I felt like doing so did basically nothing.

The readings are really helping me right now. This morning I sent a nice message to an AA friend from the past who has been dumping all kinds of Sh*t via text. I recognize it's just too much for me to keep reading all this and absorbing it emotionally. She's in the problem not the solution. I sent her some information regarding the "solution" and deleted some disturbing photos she had sent me. Codependents Anon. reminds me I cannot fix everyone I need to work on myself and set boundaries when I need to.

Food was pretty off for a few days. 50/50. I changed that yesterday and have a plan for today, too. I made my smoothie before doing much else this morning. It continues to ground me in my healthy habits. I need to stay healthy if I can be of service to others. Credit for acknowledgement.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #237  

S/C/G: 173/162/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Nice to catch up on everyone's posts.

Lexxiss: I deleted my Facebook account. Even though all I did was lurk, I found the negative jibes of my 12th step "friends" were clouding my day. Good for you for being proactive and deleting the "mess" of your friend.

Nationalparker: I have now tried to weigh and measure pretty consistently for over a month. It really has been freeing and I find that I am satisfied with smaller portions. Good for you for getting back to basics.

Curleyjax: Good for you for getting back to the scale. It is just a number and has no power over you. A young "49" has a lifetime of healthy numbers ahead of her.

Thanks for everyone's good thoughts. Four days now on the new med. It is suppose to help me relieve that anxiety/blues panic attacks I have had since beginning of menopause. The good news is it seems to suppress appetite. Although I hate taking medication, my anxieties were really affecting my family. So I have promised to give it a month.

Super grateful that my physical problems have really improved and I can exercise regularly. This in my mind is the long term health solution.
Grateful for the Beck strategies I have been practicing since 2009. I have learned to recognize hunger versus emotion and that will be a huge step forward. Also, grateful for this blog. It has made all the difference.

Weight three pounds from scale. Exercise and food planned.

Last edited by maryann; 01-31-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #238  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up BuhBye January. Don't Let the Door Hit You On the Behind.

Coaches

Feeling good, feeling hopeful, for the coming month, and for today. Will commit to new foodplan, write out foodplan, and move for 10 minutes today.

The key for me is consistency and once more to persist in victory, which means, once I make gains toward my goals I don't let them slide back to where they were. This is possibly the worst habit that I have. I try try try and then, once achieved, I let it go. I rarely try try try and then reach it, and then hold it, and then try try try again. Like somehow doing it once should be enough.

What is that about? Maybe if I try try try and I see it's not easy or isn't done I despair of continuing the effort. I don't know but when it comes to weight loss, or working out, or foodplans, a long term commitment has not happened for me in decades. This really needs to change. I think this is why seeing me work on my environment and maintaining a space, which has also been equally difficult for me, is so useful to my effort to lose weight. I am doing that. It is happening. And I am building on my successes in that realm. Why not with the weight?

Lexxiss Very very very sorry to hear of your sister's cancer coming back. It was good to slow down and not react to your mother's request and instead take the time to consider your own needs and energy levels. Costco will be there tomorrow. Credit for taking care of yourself. I do hope you can get to your hot springs soon. *hug*

BillBlueEyes I bought several cans of sardines to try. I've never liked sardines and there were two reasons why I got them 1) cause you like them I thought "if he eats them I'll try them". And 2) because of this show I watched a few times and LOVE called New Scandinavian Cooking. It is so awesome! The guy always cooks and serves his food,outside, in Scandinavia, often in the winter. And he LOVES sardines. RAVES about the Brisling sardine. I saw some and bought some. Check a clip out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHHb...E6IaRYhRV9Iv3F I am trying to track down full length shows but it seems to be more clips than shows. I was lucky to have seen what I did I think. The particular host/chef? in that clip is way better than any other host IMHO. So, my sardine adventure hasn't really begun. I have lacked the courage to open the cans! In fact the Spring Water ones went to Caesar, who did enjoy them. I have mustard ones, and hot pepper ones, and the Special Brisling Ones. What do you think of what he made in this clip? Would you try it? I almost want to...! One morehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1CnBrUM92Q

Enough. Time to go.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #239  

Height: 5' 2"

Debbie Prayers for healing of your sister. How scary for both of you.

CREDIT: healthy eating and snacking. nuts are wonderful. and I'm learning to measure and limit how much of the I eat.

Lentil soup is a favorite!!! So glad it is so healthy as well as delicious.

I do weigh daily each morning. Weight stays within 2 pound range and refuses to dip no matter what I do.

CREDIT: Delightful walk outside in sunshine as we passed the piles of snow from storm over a week ago.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #240  
Green Tomatoes

Two mornings in a row out of the house and I'm feeling behind on many things. I was going to write "behind on everything," but it would probably help to take CREDIT for the things I'm not behind on:
  • Car maintenance. That was Friday's activity.
  • Community action. That was Saturday's activity.
  • Exercise. I'll meet my goal today with an ordinary amount of exercise, unlike some months when I need an extra push on that last day.

I'll also take CREDIT for eating as if I had a food plan, even though I haven't actually written a plan in a couple of days.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40, 1160/1200 minutes for January, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Closed Thread