Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #211  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart born (Salzburg, 1756)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Was busy all day seeming with little to show for it. The temperature hit 50 degrees F. I used the warm weather to fix the doorbell using the part that arrived via Amazon Prime minutes before. It was the first delivery from Amazon Prime that arrived the day before predicted. The only challenge to fixing the doorbell button is that you have to stand outside; it's better for doorbell buttons to fail during July, LOL, but a warm January day is a good second choice.

Eating was OKish. DW grilled salmon for dinner. It seems to be getting fattier lately; I don't know what the salmon farmers are doing. We only buy wild caught Alaskan salmon when it goes on sale.

onebyone LOL that this certainly doesn't sound like engrossing eating, "Food has remained soft and warm and mooshy, which is slightly softer and a bit gooier than mushy."

Joy (gardenerjoy) Seems fair to have substituted ice cream for your planned evening snack.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Kudos for giving away that pumpkin bread slice. Hope your tenant situation settles down soon - it's a bit much to have to wait for odd jobs to come in to get your monthly rent.

FutureFitChick Neat to commit to a specific writing time each day.

maryann - Yay for "back to a disciplined style of eating."

nationalparker Two hours isn't enough sleep to function; hope you get back into your normal cycle.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for having to deal with credit card stuff - that takes the wind right out of a normal day.

curlyjax - "Feeling better mentally" is a great start to a good day.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for avoiding that after supper call to snacking.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

#1: The Trying to Numb Pain Trap

Next we talk about how emotions aren't inherently good or bad. Emotions are simply part of our human experience. In fact, negative emotions can serve an important function, alerting us to a problem that may need our attention.

To help Elizabeth recognize that intense emotions have peaks and troughs, I asked her to visualize a negative emotion as a big wave in the ocean. Like a wave, emotional pain can build up and become more intense, but it always crests, and then starts to come down, even if you don't do anything to make it go away. Elizabeth made a reminder card for these ideas:
When I was the most upset I ever remember feeling,
I still survived. Negative emotions aren't bad. They
are part of being human. I don't need to make them
go away. Negative emotions always crest, like a
wave, and then start to come down. I don't have to
be afraid of my feelings.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 68
Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #212  

S/C/G: ?/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food within calories, but I had a beer and a half, and exercise was a 9 1/2 mile hike, credit. I felt so good and energetic. There were hills, but they weren't killer steep like Flatiron. I just may not get that cold I've been worried about getting, sore throat was gone.

I keep saying I'm going to tighten up the food plan, but I keep not doing it. I'm doing such a good job of maintaining. I really need to think about what I truly want.

Today I'm taking the day off of exercise, unless I happen to get a walk in the afternoon. Yea! I just can't seem to want to spend the necessary time in the office once I've worn myself out and Monday afternoon was partially derailed by the credit card fiasco, which seems to have resolved. I'll let you know if I get my list of "to do's" completed.

Today I have lunch out to celebrate a birthday with my old co-workers. I'll have to mind my calories the other meals as we're going to a pizza parlor. We usually share a thin crust Margherita pizza and a salad. The birthday girl has recently lost 60 pounds on WW so hopefully we won't get the hot cookie with ice cream. Of course I can decide not to have any.

Bill In Boston it would be better for the doorbell button to fail in July, not so much in Scottsdale.

Lexxis I hand it to you for letting the worry go when appropriate.

Onebyone I hope today is the day you are feeling back to yourself.

FutureFitChick Hang in there. You can do it!

Nationalparker I hope you got a better nights sleep and don't get the cold. I swear I think the reason I'm able to fight some things off is because I really get my rest. Last night I was pathetic. Fell asleep on the couch after partially doing kitchen clean-up. Dh finished the job. I think I'm going to have to put him in for sainthood. Then I went to bed and slept all night!

Sandy How is your snow now? Good for you for no after dinner eating.

Maryann You have been doing great with your discipline with your food plan. I hope you had a fabulous time skiing and enjoying your cabin.

GardenerJoy Forgot to tell you I enjoyed your photos the other day. I would love to eat lobster to my hearts content. My friend Coleen goes to see her parents in New Brunswick each Christmas and comes back to tell me how many lobsters she's eaten. It makes my mouth water.

Waving to Curlyjax!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #213  
Green Tomatoes

I had the same yesterday as BillBlueEyes: "Was busy all day seeming with little to show for it."

And today is starting draggy and slow. CREDIT for posting. That sometimes gets my day going.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +45, 985 /1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

OK day. Did not plan enough to eat (or allow enough time) for lunch, and was super hungry all afternoon. I supplemented with a protein smoothie. I'll still be under my calorie limit for the day. I got my walk in. It felt extra cold when I started, but warmed up by the middle, so was no longer cold. I did a lot of preparatory kitchen work for dinners for the rest of the week today, including making homemade marinara, baking squashes and sweet potatoes, and marinating chicken. Work went OK. I didn't get my writing in this morning, but am set up to work on it now. I've been reviewing the Beck 7 question technique in the pink book this week.

Bill Blue Eyes, good job for sticking with OKish eating!

Gardener Joy, hope the day picked up for you after posting!

Karen, RN, yay for an excellent hike! Hope you enjoyed your lunch out, without the cookie.

Lexxiss, excellent job at all of the veggies and fresh juice, and getting in your dinner salad! Yummy! You are an inspiration to me. I've been slacking on the fresh vegetables lately. Way to go for letting go of tenant issues. I hope it resolves easily and soon.

Mary Ann, just curious, were you sidelined last year by an injury?

One by One, sending you chicken-soup-esque healing thoughts!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 01-27-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #215  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

I lit the fire in the fireplace on the way into the house, it seemed. I wanted it blazing away quickly, and then started in on a blueberry coffee cake to take in to work while I have fresh blueberries. Thinking of you, Bill, and your berries as ours dropped to a not-heard-of recently price of $1.99 per pint. I will bake another one later this evening (or tomorrow evening) for DH's parents, who can meet him at work to pick it up or he could run by their home. House smells cinnamon-y now. It's fairly dark in here with fire and candlelight flickering. Several options for dinner, among them soup/sandwiches will most likely get the nod. I DID take four crackers and slivered off some cheddar to "tide me over" because CLEARLY I will starve between when I get home and when DH gets home. Sheesh. It's not the calories, as much as the thought that I should have just made another cup of tea.

Just realized that Valentine's Day will be soon, and when we get the Christmas decor boxes up in the attic, I will haul that out. And Easter seems early this year, too. Maybe it's just me getting old - the dates zip past but the days of the week do not.

DH's birthday is in a week and a half and I'm stumped, completely, for ideas. I don't want to just buy him this and that. Want it to be experiences or something like that. Nothing coming in concert is anything he'd especially like. I'll expand my search area. It's all stuff I'd enjoy more than him...

FutureFitChick - I'll be by for a pasta dinner soon with your homemade marinara - yum sounds like you did a great job in prep!

Karen - Hope your time out with your friends is fun - splitting the pizza margherita sounds like a smart plan! A fave of mine. Heck, pizza is my fave.

Bill - I hope your DH appreciates your fix-it-ness there! A treasure! I heard this morning that today is National Chocolate Cake Day. How do they come UP with these things? Initially I thought, I'd better make DH a mug cake of that ... but then thought neither of us need it and I'd want to taste test his...
Old 01-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #216  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Space Shuttle Challenger explodes (1986)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping for errands and checking out the new construction at the end of street. The fun walk was to my evening event in the dark; I do like walking at night. I behaved myself in front of a coffee table of food for two hours - the cheese looked really good, but I've had it before.

Lunch was my favorite peanut butter, pecans, and banana sandwich on toasted whole wheat sandwich bread crusts. I'm the only one who eats the bread crusts, but sandwich bread isn't consumed that much around here so they are rare.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Yep, some days are just "draggy and slow."

FutureFitChick That's a whole bunch of cooking in advance; Kudos for serious planning.

nationalparker That "tide me over" is one of the Sabotaging Thoughts that gets me, also. Thanks for the warning that the Valentine's Day candy will be on display.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat to have lunch with a friend who's just lost 60 pounds - you have a co-conspirator.

Readers -
Quote:

Escape the Trying to Numb Pain Trap

Many emotional eating traps share a bit in common with this trap. At its root, this trap is about numbing pain. But if you think back over your history, you will likely find plenty of evidence that you can tolerate negative feelings. You are undoubtedly stronger than you think; you don't need food to manage upsetting emotions. You just think you do. To develop trust in your ability to handle difficult feelings, you need to stop using food to decrease your distress.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 68
Old 01-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #217  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default giving it a go

Coaches:

Finally. I think I am up for leaving the house today. I need to drop off a library book and I want to do something in the studio to help move it along. But I can't go until I complete my work on a logo for a writing group who are initiating a local writers' book fair. The name/logo I have to come up with something for is The Bookshelf. I wanted Table of Contents. Their first name was Off the Shelf. I kept reading that as "get that thing off the shelf" but perhaps I am seeing things through "decluttering-glasses". I have 4 line drawings none of them great. Not sure how much they need fleshing out. It's difficult. Oh well.

I weighed this morning and saw 278. A +1.1 from last weigh-in. I also had a bit of food poisoning or something last night. Yuk. So whatever to the scale right now. I'm calling this month half good/half not as good. What's not so good right now is DH is home sick. I think not with what I had so the potential is there for me to catch something else. Ugh.

Billblueyes: Have been meaning to send you this link for a while https://files.allaboutbirds.net/wp-c...4-500-text.gif I checked it yesterday cause I swear a flock or two of honking geese flew by. What the heck? Are they locals or are they actually migrating north? Isn't it way too early for that?

nationalparker I also like to get DH event-related things as gifts. His xmas gift was tickets to see the Toronto Maple Leafs play the Ottawa Senators (hockey) in Ottawa. He once said to me "We'll never be able to see the Leafs and Sens play. Impossible to get tickets." HA! We just booked a great room (the Maestro Suite!) in our first ever B&B outside of Ottawa near to the venue. It's in the same town as my friends who I have a lot of things to exchange with and had to visit anyway. It's all good. And it's next weekend so we can't be sick! Good luck finding something for your DH.

FutureFitChick Thanks for the virtual chicken soup. I hear you when you say your efforts to stick to this weightloss thing peter out. I feel like that too but now know it's not really true. I may not make much progress, yet, but that doesn't mean I won't and that doesn't negate the fact that I am not 20/30/50 lbs heavier cause I surely would be. I'm glad you are back and good luck with your thesis writing. I know that's a tough slog. You will make it to the end of that for sure.

gardenerjoy Credit for posting as well from me. I wish I could describe for you the exact quality of gray I am seeing out there today. The sky, tree bark, driveways and a lot of the cars, are all within the same gray tones out there. Actually it might be "50 Shades of Grey" yet nothing like that if you get my drift... lol.

karenrn I understand losing energy/focus for mundane tasks like office work. I always have to remind myself to just get it done as it's never as long as I think. I often spend 2-3x as much time avoiding the task than it actually takes to do the task. Not very smart of me.But pretty human. Credit for all your hikes! What sort of shoes do you wear and do you wear them out fast??Just curious about that...!

Have a good day out there.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-28-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #218  
Green Tomatoes

Meeting at Panera last night. CREDIT for eating at home first and having a cup of decaf tea there.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +45, 985 /1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

For those of you using Overdrive for e-books from the library, I discovered the Request Again button yesterday. According to Overdrive's FAQ, if I borrowed a book with holds on it, I'll get a Request Again button, three days before the title is set to expire. That makes it easy to get back in line for a book I didn't finish (or start). The Request Again button also appears on titles that I have on Hold, but haven't checked out yet -- it's probably kinder to other patrons to use that button because it means I'm stepping out of line so that some one else can check out the book. I've been having trouble keeping track of titles that I don't get read -- this will help!

nationalparker: you're not imagining it. I was talking to a pastor this week and she said that Lent and Easter are as early as they can be this year.
We usually use experiences for birthdays, too. We're not much for going out at night so it's usually a trip to a museum or garden.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #219  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

I panicked when I got on the scale this morning to a couple of pounds above ticker. I know I've had soup the past couple of days and they're all high-sodium, but it's still worrisome.

Interesting to hear Oprah on the recorded message this morning on tv go on about giving yourself credit to make staying the course easier. Hmmmm... wonder where THAT came from bc that was not part of WW any of the times I've done it. Whatever it takes.

In looking at my food intake, I am wondering if I should knock out breakfast (again wondering) ... or make it much later? I'm not truly HUNGRY most mornings, it's just part of my routine and I believe the whole "need to eat to get metabolism going" but then see that's supposedly not true, so don't know what to believe. Maybe I skip the breakfast and eat when hungry, and then eat lunch when HUNGRY and not just because it's lunchtime at work. I'm not snacking in the morning, so it's not like I'm eating and then actually hungry later, though.

Or maybe I just need to suck it up and cut portions a bit more. And not think of the entitlement that I should get more to eat like others express! Disappointed in myself.

OneByOne - That had to blow your DH's socks off with the xmas gift LOVE it! Last year I surprised DH with a quick getaway to San Antonio for his birthday, but we took it two months later.

Working from home this afternoon. Hot tea will be brewed here in a few minutes. Pleased to realize that my arm pain is vastly minimized when not at my desk - so a solution should be easy enough to figure out.

Dinner is leftover lasagna. Was thinking of starting with minestrone soup instead of a salad. My dang temp crown popped off again and they won't put the permanent on until Monday. So it's bound to drive me bonkers.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #220  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker I'm sure breakfast is very important, please consider modifying but not eliminating it. Days I eat closer to time I wake up, the better I do.

Problem with eating "when hungry" in a family, we'd never be eating a meal together and that is one of the best times in the day.

Today DH and I to have great Thai lunch with lots of steamed veggies. Only less than 1/3 cup rice CREDIT:
Old 01-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #221  

S/C/G: ?/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Yesterday was not an on-plan food day. Lunch was fine, but I did some emotional eating from more problems with the credit card fiasco. The tour company did not put the charge thru on Tuesday, so the card company blocked the card again due to some possible fraudulent charge. It was taken care of in the late afternoon. So irritating.

However, I did get lots done in just a couple of hours in the morning. Plane tickets for a short flight once we get to Peru, one night hotel reservation that hadn't been made, medical forms completed for the trip and tax information all prepared for the CPA. I just need to wait for a couple of 1099's and pick up dh's list of prescriptions from the drug store. Next chore is to work on my passwords. Do any of you use an ap to keep them straight?

Today I got up and did a four hour hilly hike to burn up the calories from yesterday, credit. I finished listening to more than half of a book and will finish it today or tomorrow. I've enjoyed it, The Obituary Writer.

Regarding Overdrive, if you finish a book early or decide you don't want it, you can touch your finger on it on the bookshelf and it will say Return?, that's also helpful.

Love2garden Thai lunch sounds wonderful.

Nationalparker I'd have to say my opinion on breakfast is that each of us is different. I'm often hungry when I wake up and since I often head out to hike, I need it. Don't know if I'd eat it if I weren't hungry though. Might be worth experimenting.

Onebyone I'm glad you're feeling well enough to get out of the house today, or at least I hope you are. When I hear about some of the things you have to do (like work on the logo) and other art, all I can think of is that I would be panicked and couldn't get it done in years. I sure am glad you have that talent.
Also, I wear Oboz low top hiking shoes recently. I've worn many different brands and go thru 2 or 3 pair a year I suppose. I usually have 3 or 4 pair around. I have some Ahnu that I like but the sole is nots good for crawling up rocks, etc. They slip.

Bill As I've said before, I sure am glad I don't go to a lot of meeting with food present. I would consider that cruel and unusual punishment.

More tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #222  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I had a decent day today. I have been feeling like my weight loss has been slow, but really it is being realistic. I am down 4.5 pounds for January. After successfully losing on Ideal Protein, regular weight loss seems very slow. But the reality is, I have been more consistent this month with balanced eating than most months of my life. I did part of a cardio dance DVD this morning. Tomorrow I will walk again.

My husband had found many recipes that I prepped yesterday here: http://spoonuniversity.com/live/a-we...share=facebook It was handy to have the planning and grocery list done. So far we have just eaten the chickpea, sweet potato, and farro salad.

Bill Blue Eyes, high five for "behaving" around the coffee table food.

Gardener Joy, thanks for the advice about Overdrive. Great job at eating before Panera.

Karen, RN, argh!! Sorry about the credit card crap. Did they issue you a new card number? I use LastPass. It is not the smoothest between platforms (PC, phone, tablet, apps), but overall I like it.

Love 2 Garden, good job on healthy Thai veggie lunch.

National Parker, you make an excellent point that "it's not the calories... I should have made another cup of tea". This is an attitude I need to embrace. For DH's birthday, I have found luck with Indianapolis Indians gift cards. I also don't get very hungry in the morning, but do eat breakfast every day. I think it gets my brain going faster and is a steadfast part of my morning routine.

One by One, stay healthy! You don't need another bug! Excellent point about not being 20/30/50 pounds heavier!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 01-28-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #223  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Edgar Allan Poe published "The Raven" (1845)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Watched Slumdog Millionaire with DW last night. Feels good to be catching up to a movie that's only 8 years old. The descriptions don't mention that it's a love story. My walkaway impression: there are a lot of people in India. Everywhere. DW had walked to the library to bring home a short stack of DVD's to choose from.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library. Major portion of the day was spent trying to stop a leak in the shower head in our bathroom. I did the Home Depot run to get the proper washer, but it didn't solve the problem. The shower hose is only five years old - I'd have thought it would last longer than that. I have to try something else today.

onebyone LOL at "half good/half not as good" - that's a positive spin on things. [Thanks for the link - neat to see all bird migration in one gif.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) Always a positive step to avoid eating at Panera - so many tasty carbs there. I like that Request Again button to get back in line when now isn't the time for me to take a book.

FutureFitChick Super Kudos for "more consistent this month with balanced eating than most months of my life."

nationalparker Neat that Oprah seems to have read some Beck. Count me as one of those who still believes that eating breakfast helps with eating for the rest of the day.

Karen (karenrn) - Credit card bureaucracy is just the worst - hope it's settled now. Love reading each step taken toward Machu Picchu.

Sandy (love2garden) - Yep, eating when 'hungry' sure doesn't work when one intends to eat with family. Yay for steamed veggies.

Readers -
Quote:

Escape the Trying to Numb Pain Trap
  • Think about the most distressed you've ever been. Call that a ten on a ten-point scale. Then do an experiment. The next time you're upset, set a time for twenty minutes. Don't do anything to try to reduce your negative emotion. Don't fight it. Just measure it on your ten-point scale. See what happens when you experience negative emotions and just accept feeling that way.
  • Reflect on past experiences of emotional distress when you weren't able to turn to food to feel better. How intense did the distress get? How long did it last at that peak level? Did it continue to go up and up until a catastrophe happened? Or did it rise, crest, and fall; then rise, crest, and fall again?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 69
Old 01-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #224  
Green Tomatoes

We took supper over to the nephew and his wife last night and I enjoyed holding the great-nephew all evening. Turkey salad sandwiches and cabbage salad (all made from scratch, including the bread). I wish that I’d served half-sandwiches. I forget how dense turkey or chicken salad can be. I think I got way too many calories and served more than I meant to.

CREDIT for skipping my second snack. It helped that I didn’t think of it.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +45, 1070/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: I put off breakfast most morning as late as I can. Skipping it entirely makes me susceptible to every passing donut (and they pass too often), but it helps me keep portions smaller the rest of my day if I start me eating day as late as possible.

karenrn: thanks for revealing the hidden Return? button in Overdrive -- I'll use that, too.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
Sorry I've not been posting, things got busy at work (which was great!! I'm so much happier being busy than bored!) and family life, I just caught up reading the last day or so posts.
Rant warning-; its very hard to manage ferrying kids around to sports and working, especially when schedules change and no one knows when things are starting. I am really tired of sitting in the cold dark night at 9:30 pm waiting for the bus to bring them back to the school after a meet (ok that's once a week, but it still turns into a late night for all of us) and driving to/fro school every day to pick up after sports (no bus for that) which takes up 30 minutes.
I am not in love with the idea of doing this for the next four years when my son is in HS too, it really messes up afternoon/ dinner time prep and is tiring. But I do want them to be able to participate, so I will keep doing it. Somehow winter is the worst, maybe we can skip the coldest months next year!
Got into a big fight with my DD about all this and I feel bad about it now.
okay, rant over.

Bill- did you know there is a museum of world war 2 in Natick MA? It sounds really good if you have an interest in that, and could be a pleasant outing to the burbs! I just heard of it.
Karenrn- I hear you about managing those passwords, it makes me nuts. I don't use an app, I tend to rotate about four of them for websites but the home computer one has a few different and it all makes me crazy!
Nationalparker- I don't know if you have ever given a brochure from the year of DH's birth or candy from then (although I know, its candy!) for a little birthday present, you can usually get the brochures at party stores. One time we also wrote down x reasons I love you, ie 42 reasons if they
re turning 42 and so on. We don't do a whole lot for birthdays- I think a little trip would be great too.
I'm writing this at work so I need to run- TGIF! and thinking of you all
Closed Thread