Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #151  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday OP, and today so far, as well. Before leaving home this morning, I was thinking I didn't have enough time to pack my lunch. Caught the sabotaging thought and took time to pack my lunchbox. At work, reminded myself I was glad I did. Credit. I resisted many many items at work today. (Aided by my home-brought snacks)/ It seems there is more pastry "junk" than usual. I have a plan for dinner and will travel very early tomorrow morning. I've been working on paperwork ever since I got home. I am going to make my dinner then enjoy some Sudoku. (PS I am getting better)

Having a rental issue-may have to evict the new tenant. They have still not completed payment of January rent. I have spent much time chasing them around. They have many excuses. My time is precious and I choose not to spend my time this way. I am serving the 3 day notice tonight and will not "eat" over it. I don't like this kind of activity but am learning self care in the process. Credit.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I did the hunger experiment today. I ended up with a mild headache, as usual, so was less productive than I hoped to be. Food was pretty well on plan, except I intended to eat leftovers from dinner out last night. But, it turned out to be 80% mashed potatoes and about ⅓ of the meat I thought was there. Oh well. I will have a snack before bed, still in my calorie limit.

I did planned exercise. I walked. I have what I hope is a sore tendon on the top of my foot and not a stress fracture. But, we will see what the next couple of days say about that. Spontaneous exercise was hauling in 6 new dining room chairs and assembling them this evening.

Bill Blue Eyes, glad you got your exercise in. Are you still going to the gym to lift weights? Your note about tree preparing for winter -- should that give hope to all of my houseplants that look like they are about to die and drop all of their leaves?

Gardener Joy, earnestness is one that deserves some reflection. I've been trying to get on the gratitude bandwagon. I have been looking for something quick to help get me out of the crappy mood I wake up in most days, when I realize the work I need done isn't done. It helps, sometimes.

Karen, RN, another amazing hike! Wow! Glad you had something reasonable for dinner in spite of being exhausted.

Lexxiss, way to go on packing your lunch! Sorry to hear about tenant issues. Hang in there!

Mary Ann, you have been spot on with the analogies lately!!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #153  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

A day on plan! I actively had the thought that I would be proud to check in today being on plan and how much better I'd feel starting tomorrow not having to "start over" ... Not enough veggies, but I'm still saying it was well done. Perfection is not my goal.

What helped was checking in on the declutter thread with a project that ended up taking more than two hours to wrap up. But it's done and done well and I'm pleased with myself that I committed to a good day. Hot tea has helped. Cup #2, though, sits here cold. I got enmeshed in my project!

Personals tomorrow! Off to a hot bath to warm up. Snow comes in tonight and they're promising a messy commute. How I hate to hear that. Our local news lately has been getting me down. Barns burning down with lots (!) of animals inside - the latest in the town next to us a barn burned with 60-70 goats killed. I feel these losses so deeply, even though I don't know the farmers nor the animals. Drivers sliding off road on ice and dying, home invasions, etc. Not war-ravaged city, but still news that stays on my mind. I know we all face this in the over-information age we have. I know years ago, though, I would have known that farmer only 10 miles from my home, and the woman whose home was broken into a few streets away.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:44 AM   #154  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Hong Kong ceded to Great Britain (1841)

Diet Coaches/Buddies So cold to walk, CREDIT moi, that I justified dawdling in a book store to warm up enough to make it home. I'm glad that book stores aren't precluded on my eating plan because my list of 'Sabotaging Thoughts' to get inside one is long, long, long.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks still too large. Dinner was a frozen entree from Trader Joe's that was bland (DW was at a meeting too late to be able to cook dinner). So many Trader Joe's foods are quite good that one disappointment is OK. Maybe other folks like their chicken dishes bland. DW has us both enamored with the different Penzey's spices that she uses when preparing chicken that her's is never bland.

Joy (gardenerjoy) It's neat to be reminded that going forward requires passing through a "messier" stage first.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Ouch for a tenant with excuses; Kudos for respecting that you don't have to live with that.

FutureFitChick Kudos for completing the Hunger Experiment - one of the big steps in the Beck Strategies. [Alas, I have no insights into house plants; I married a gardener.]

maryann - I love the comparison that sailing requires tacking back and forth - one can't go directly upwind.

nationalparker Completing a two hour decluttering project is Kudos worthy. And Kudos for using hot tea instead of food.

Karen (karenrn) - Elevation of more than half a mile should be tiring. Kudos for "within calories."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

When you experience negative emotions, you may have strong cravings for food. You may even believe that food is the only way to calm down. Or you may believe that you deserve to comfort yourself with food when you're upset. Eating becomes your default response to distress. Most people who struggle to lose weight have a habit of turning to food for solace when they feel lonely, worried, angry, or sad.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 65
Old 01-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
the day got away from me yesterday. Had a few cookies from a lunch thing and brought some home but i'm throwing them out NOW, i didn't even enjoy them.
I will save the calories for something I do enjoy somewhat!

I was struck by what Karenrn wrote- using all my energy for fun and not having for cooking- that really resonates with me. today I have a day off and i'm going to make veggie stir fry and some homemade dessert like pumpkin muffins (more nutritious than store bought anyhow!) but that means I won't get other stuff around the house done. Cooking from scratch and especially more healthy stuff does take more time and energy, and then I have less to use for other projects. I guess its a matter of finding balance. I was able to sort some papers the other day because DH was making dinner, there's just a limit to what one can do.
Gardenerjoy- interesting idea about what do we want to feel and what can we do to get that feeling! I have never approached things that way, I shall have to try it.
Nationalparker-glad you're feeling better today! I hear you, i am constantly sabotaging myself and starting over. It really is much harder in the winter get motivated, and hearing about storms makes me anxious too!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #156  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default I love you guys.

Coaches

I love you guys. The amount of mental power each one of us brings to our common problem here is very impressive and very creative. We are fortunate to have this space.

Yesterday my scale dropped 2.9lbs and today bounced a tad +0.2lbs. I'm at 275 not 278. The day was spent at the art gallery viewing JMW Turner's work. I had expected to be moved to the point of tears. I wasn't. In fact a Basquiat piece I saw last year moved me more which I would never have predicted. Perhaps I am of my time like we all are and I more closely related to Basquiat and his era than the Victorian era.

Nevertheless what Turner does get incredibly right for me is the overall construction of a painting for dramatic effect. That is something I am going to ponder and attempt to adapt consciously in a few of my upcoming works. I did enjoy the work very much but was not too emotionally affected.

I walked about 3 hrs total (had a Dr. appt in there too) and then met DH and then blew it once more with DH choosing to eat too much all while knowing I was doing that. This past week I have been off plan with DH almost every evening. He is my eating buddy and I have to stop that.

Today is a very full day with several things to accomplish. This will fall over into tomorrow morning and then I hope to have Thurs afternoon to Sunday night to focus solely on my paintings which after being sketched out last weekend have not been touched since and they are supposed to be hanging at the local theatre on Monday and in the corridor of the local hospital's fracture clinic on Tuesday. I have three other pieces that can substitute for the new ones, but I would prefer new things to be shown. Thank goodness acrylics dry fast. I'd be lost if if I was an oil painter.

Bye for now.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #157  
Green Tomatoes

I didn’t sleep well and in the not-sleeping times got very determined to get my snacks under control. And, then, I fell asleep and dreamed about trays of giant chocolates – cookies the size of pancakes, truffles the size of waffles. So, I want to thank my unconscious this morning for being so supportive. Sheesh.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +20 680/1200 minutes for January, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #158  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

We're getting a little later start for our hike this morning because it is not such a drive. Food was within calories yesterday, but I sure was glad to have some extra exercise calories. Credit for exercise and food. Since Sandee and I are both on the 2000 mile challenge and basically eating the same diet, it is very easy to have her here.

This morning we received our reservation for Orisson where we will spend the first night of the Camino. We both are so happy that the planning is coming along. We will only reserve the night before we start and Orisson before we leave the states. Any other reservations will be made along the way as we really don't know how long we will feel like walking each day. I can say it has been a good test to be out hiking or walking every day. I'm pretty used to it, but Sandee is not and is tired. It's good we have plenty of time for training before September. She is strong and will do fine.

Today we are hiking and then this evening a large group is going out to the country dancing place. Tomorrow things will get back to normal once I take Sandee to the airport in the morning, and I will need to start looking at preparing the tax paperwork and all of that. I must enjoy the feast of friends this month though, because it isn't always this way.

I did attend the Daniel Plan meeting on Monday and will consider removing a few items from my diet and more closely following the plan. Number one priority to me is to feel great and have plenty of energy for my activity. Number two priority is to lose about 10 pounds. I feel so good now I can hardly believe removing all dairy, gluten, etc. will be a benefit, but maybe.

Have a great day!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #159  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello, all. Some lines in today's posts really resonated with me.

First off, for those in the target of this winter storm coming on, be careful! Sounds like it could be a zinger. We had snow over night and into this morning so the commute was a mess, but we stayed safe. I worry about DH driving with the semis on the road flying at 80. The ratio of semi trucks to cars around here is unbelievably high. Hard to picture but I often see wayyyy more trucks than cars on the roads.

OP day today ... aided by my temp crown popping off, so no temptation to snack tonight on anything crunchy and dinner was fairly small, seeing what worked. Was able to make a dentist appt for the morning, but it's pretty sensitive now and hoping already that it's not a literal pain to clean the cement and reattach.

Bill - Of course, my mind goes right to, "What TJoe's meal wasn't that good?" ... we think along the same lines, so many are good that a dud now and then is excusable. Envy you your closeness to real bookstores. My favorite one to walk to downtown closed its doors a few years ago and I do miss it.

Karen - You are doing such a fantastic job trekking day in and day out! That has to be such a confidence builder in knowing you can do el camino. Will you be posting to a blog or anything while you're on the trail now and then? I had acquaintances who completed the PCT and I vicariously enjoyed their hike. Except the rattlesnake part.

CurlyJax - I feel you on the nerves with the winter storms. I worry about tornadoes in the spring/summer but those are over so quickly. Be careful and prepared with the storm this weekend. Hang in there! Credits for tossing those cookies!

Joy - Peaceful sleep tonight! Nothing like being tempted by your subconscious!

Maryann - Hoping you're having a good week back "at it" ... Thank you for the analogy of the sailboat. I never thought of it like that - made me feel better!

OneByOne - I am right there with you in that DH is an eating buddy. I never thought of it like that but I certainly am struggling more and get him off track and he gets me off track. I don't want that for either of us. Thank you for the mini lessons - I didn't know acrylic dried that quickly. I thought, oh, it'll NEVER dry in time, so good that you explained!

Lexxiss - I hope all is resolved for your benefit with the tenant! Good job with packing your food to take to work. You took the time to be successful!

FutureFitChick - Good luck with your foot pain. I hope it clears quickly. Aches and pains are more worrisome the older I get! I think, will this pass in a day or a week or what? Kudos for tackling the furniture assembly!

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-20-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: thought I lost whole post and was going to redo from beginning. Now just adding to it. yay.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Got out in the snow and walked today. It was a nice walk, and continue to have mild pain in my foot. I did not make a plan for lunch or dinner. Lunch was more extravagant than normal, so made a correction at dinner, so I was still under my calorie limit for the day.

Bill Blue Eyes, great job for getting in the walk in spite of the chill!

CurlyJax, awesome job at tossing your cookies!

Gardener Joy, what a drag that you can't get away from snacks with sleep!

Karen, RN, glad you have had such a great visit with your friend!

National Parker, ouch on your crown coming off! Hope you can get some relief soon!

One by One, I agree with you in my gratitude for this forum! Your inspiration from observing others is lovely!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 01-20-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #161  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default End of the day

Hi again Coaches

Was at the guild today and my pottery buddy is a mess. She is racked wih anxiety. She is 73 and taking a rheumatoid arthritis medicine intravenously. Ironically it has controlled the rheumatoid arthritis enough that the osteo arthritis is starting to bug her. What can you say to that? She thinks the IV stuff is causing the anxiety. I always think it's emotional. Never.physical. I also got a call that my mother bit one of her attendants at the home. A few more than ago she slapped one of them. It's the Alzheimer's. She would be mortified. The slap happened and they tested her blood and.found she had a bladder infection and so they are running tests again. Staff there are good. They understand this whole thing way more than I do.

And for me my gums are improved and my lecture not as severe but I was told the patient Before me bad had open heart surgery and decided to take good care of his health and his gums were like mine and now his cleanings do not elicit any kind of bleeding gums. It. An be done in other words and even.at.an.advanced age.

So the take away for today: it's never too late and keep going until you can't.

My poor gentle mom though. Breaks my heart. But I didn't eat over it. I will visit her.tomorrow.

Sorry.for weird periods in this post...I'm using the phone with the tiny keys.

Bye for now.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #162  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Joseph Guillotine proposes humane method (1790)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Had an excuse to stop at the library (to exchange books) during my walk, CREDIT moi, so that I got warm enough to continue. I picked up (yet another) book that will explain modern physics to me. Perhaps I need further explanation; perhaps I just need acceptance that modern physics is strange.

Eating was OK at an event last night where food was served - CREDIT moi for that. The cookies were calling me so that when I saw that someone had broken one in half, I grabbed the remaining half to gobble in my crumbs-have-no-calories mentality. I didn't go back for another half in my that-platter-owes-me-half-a-cookie mentality.

onebyone Had to wiki Basquiat. JMW Turner's an old friend. Thanks for reminding me that this is a special place. Congrats for making your gums robust enough to get a reduced lecture - that's the type of low-bar goal I might strive for.

Joy (gardenerjoy) LOL at dreams about food. I have a secret desire that some day I dream about one tiny piece of VERY VERY good dark chocolate. Then I'll believe that my unconscious is centered.

FutureFitChick Kudos for making a correction at dinner to keep the calories under control.

nationalparker Hadn't thought of losing a temporary crown as a diet aid, but Kudos for staying your path however it happens. [Dish was Trader Ming's (Joe's) Shiitake Mushroom Chicken - all the right ingredients, just lean on taste.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a reservation for your Camino - getting more real.

curlyjax - Certainly the key, "its a matter of finding balance."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

And in fact, food can comfort, console, distract, and soothe. Eating can calm you down - but only while your are literally consuming the food and for a very short time afterward. Food will never solve the problem that upset you in the first place. While eating may temporarily distract you from difficult feelings, once that distraction has worn off, you are likely to experience regret for straying from you plan - and you will probably feel even worse than you did before you started eating.

Emotional eating never solves problems. It just creates new ones.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 65
Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #163  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- quick check in, will do personals later or tomorrow.
Credit for making stirfry for dinner and lunch today, and avoiding all valentine candy at the grocery store!
DD snacking loudly on crackers next to me while watching tv got food into my mind and I snacked too which I haven't done for a while at night, boo.
Today is a new day! Wave to all!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #164  
Green Tomatoes

I had my best eating day in a long time yesterday. Apparently, dreaming about ridiculous treats actually made it easier to behave sensibly.

Yesterday's exercise was shoveling snow. Ours was light and fluffy with only a couple of inches. Those of you in the path of the blizzard, be careful! I use my best squatting and lunging forms and count the exercise as one of my strength-training exercises for the month. Doing it that way, I no longer hurt my back when shoveling snow.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +70 750/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #165  
Enjoying la bella vita

I'm aiming to make smart choices all day despite being overtired. Went to bed in good time but our pooch was spooked by something and went growling from the front door to the back, to several windows and then set up camp in our bedroom doorway when I finally had exhausted all looks outside and gave up trying to figure it out and just stayed spooked with her. Alone again tonight, so had better sleep much sounder. Typically when DH is not in the bed, I wake up MUCH less. At least with inches of snow, I could see all footsteps and not even coyote or deer were close to the house, let alone a burglar. But a jumpy dog makes a jumpy me.

Crown is reaffixed with directions to not eat on that side of my mouth today. I will have a small late breakfast here and then a small later lunch after volunteering gig and will be set for supper.

Scale right back at ticker - so almost the full week to get back to where I was to start last weekend. This cannot happen again this weekend. MODERATION not FREEDOM.
Closed Thread