3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2015 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/307285-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-december-2015-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 12-15-2015 06:33 AM

Tuesday - "Gone With the Wind" premier (Atlanta, 1939)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to my last classes for the semester. I now better understand Dark Matter and Dark Energy. 'Better' does not mean that I'd be willing to teach a course on them. So much happening out there.

On plan eating for the day, CREDIT moi, with an unplanned afternoon snack during class because it was brought in as end-of-class treat. By clever bookkeeping, I call what I ate my three snacks for the day and squeak in under plan.

onebyone – Yep, you really deserve to cut yourself some slack for the fire hose of emotional stuff you've faced recently. Kudos for posting.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Big Kudos for putting on a possibly-unneeded stamp rather than doing a Post Office run. I often get annoyed with myself after making the opposite decision. I'll take your encouragement to discard an MBTA card in my pocket containing $0.45 that requires that I make a trip to an inconvenient office at an inconvenient time to wait in two lines to get transferred onto my new card. And Congrats for completing your holiday newsletter.

maryann - Thanks for "Showing up with an open heart and good intentions is the goal." And thanks for teaching 8th graders with the belief that they'll someday grow out of it.

nationalparker – This is what I need, "should have eaten only one bite and realized that they wouldn't get better" instead of finishing a piece of something that I immediately realize is pretty mediocre. Kudos for recognizing that picking a tree requires some compromise.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for getting out in the cold. [I had forgotten that Santa Lucia is usually represented wearing a wreath with lit candles.]

curlyjax - Super Kudos for "and realize it will pass at some point" - it's the feeling that it'll never go away that can bring us down.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for eating very healthy and feeling relaxed.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 3 Stress Traps

#1: The Too Busy Trap

Miranda felt her stress level rise each morning as soon as she got out of bed and had to face the day. The daily grind of traffic, work, school, and family obligations continued the pressure through the day, and she scrambled even more if one of her kids was sick. On most days, by the time she picked up the boys from their after-school program and brought them home, it was nearly seven o'clock. Everyone was so hungry that dinner was usually pizza or fast food she picked up on the way home.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 50

onebyone 12-15-2015 11:33 AM

Hope springs eternal

Coaches

Feeling more myself today. Getting ready to tackle the clutter and then on to the de-cluttering. Today I feel I can do it. *credit for positive thinking*

Foodwise I am back to limiting carbs including excluding the obvious sugars. So far, so good. *credit* food is planned for the rest of the day as well. *credit*

I am thinking of leaving weight watchers. The best part of it is the meetings though, but only this one particular group/leader. The program I am not sold on and I keep ignoring it which is dumb. Probably time for a change.

I did also weigh in this morning *credit* to see 273.2. That's OK I'll take it. I felt like I was in the 290's. That's how my feeling are around food/weight/body. Mostly they are skewed and skewed to the bad. I suspect I am carrying a lot of water weight from sodium and crappy food so I will hold the line and I expect a few pounds to drop off. *credit for knowing THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY thinking*

I've also decided to give myself a non-food treat for the next week or so. I am going to watch an art-related documentary every day. That's one of my all-time favorite things. Today I am watching Here Is Always Somewhere Else My choices are coming from the movies recommended on this list of 20 movies to see. Many of them are new to me: http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/st...iat-to-bas-jan

BillBlueEyes DH and I are astronomy class dropouts :( We missed one then the next and then the next. Your mention of Dark Energy and Dark Matter were one of the reasons I wanted to go to the class. I will have to resort to *gulp* reading. Any recommendations??

nationalparker My upstairs neighbour and her husband left us a box of chocolates. Well, I should say "chocolates" as they are some kind of faux mini crepe covered in chocolate. They are the first chocolate thing I can say I don't really want. DH feels the same. So weird. We have insisted on trying to eat them, trying to like them, through the whole top layer of the box and neither of us has warmed up to them. Perhaps it's time to let these go...!! Thanks for the reminder that more bites won't make something taste better.

maryann Great job keeping focused on the positive. Kudos for no sweets at work. Awesome.

love2garden Happy to hear you are feeling relaxed and healthy! May it continue well into the holidays and the coming year.

gardenerjoy I often find that the things I want to do for my friends/family are opportunities for me to practice the other stuff I want to try in my artistic life. The newsletter highlighting your writing and photos and then applying the new programs to the creation of it is exactly the perfect kind of thing to practice skills you will use moving forward. For me it is always easier to work with an audience in mind. Kudos for getting it all together AND sent out.

karenrn 32F. Wow. We haven't been at 32F in a while. Ours is coming soon though and I expect yours to be an anomaly. How did your weight loss meeting go? Will it be helpful?

curlyjax I hope your mood has lightened since yesterday morning. I struggle with feeling down and sad this time of year. I am not a fan of the holidays. I am always happiest when they are over. I am curious about the people in the fields you mentioned. I bet they were collecting seeds but from my understanding many of the seeds will not germinate. They are engineered that way so farmers are forced to always buy their seeds. Or actually they will germinate but not grow "true". I'd still try though...

Bye everyone. Hope you have a good day today.

maryann 12-15-2015 11:37 AM

Good Morning. At Starbucks drinking coffee to wake up for grocery shopping. My bday is in five days and DH is getting me and espresso maker so I won't be coming here anymore. I had been really good about avoiding it but this last month backed into a bad habit. I get a reduced fat sandwich which makes sense with calories but not with sodium. Again first things first when blue - little changes. I parked far away and got spontaneous exercise. Planned exercise. Will shop for food and read advantage cards.
Weight is three pounds above ticker. Plan is to wrap down gifts.

Have a good day all.

love2garden 12-15-2015 11:55 AM

MaryAnn You will enjoy the gift of home coffee where you can relax and enjoy. Parking far from store is such an easy way for us to get those extra steps in.

When I iron in the back TV room so I can at least be with DH as he watches TV, I carry each item to the bedroom area and hang up, then back to iron next item. I had over 2,000 steps yesterday with this simple spontaneous exercise. Luckily I don't iron more than twice a month.

Sleeping very, very well recently. So thankful for that. Getting less TV in these dark days is goal, and it seems to be working.

OnebyOneThe documentaries sound like a great idea. I do that but watch ones in Science fields rather than art. So fortunate to have access to such great documentaries.

Bill Now that your class on Dark Matter is over, what is your next choice? Have you found more documentaries on any science field that you recommend?

May each of you have a day full of blessings. Sandy

howyoulose 12-15-2015 12:15 PM

Just a little update on why I've been MIA and completely off plan -

Friday night my fiancé started acting strange. He was talking a lot on the way to dinner with a friend but I figured he was just in a good mood. At dinner he wouldn't shut up. After we went to see my parents. They both asked if he was drunk. That's when it hit: he was going Manic. He is Bipolar (I'm Bipolar II, I only get hypomanic so I've never really been exposed to mania before). By saturday it had only gotten worse. By sunday it was a total nightmare and I had to take him to emergency. He will be in the hospital for one to two weeks. he's doing much better now but I'm a nervous wreck. I took one measly day off work as usual because I have bills to pay and cannot afford to take more days off. Last night at work was an absolute nightmare. Life right now is a nightmare. I don't know left from right or up from down. I feel like I'm drowning. I'm obviously eating my feelings but I don't even care.

Needless to say the first thing I did when I got home from the hospital sunday night was take a shot because that's always been my coping method for a lot of things. As unhealthy as it is, it helped me hold it together. I've been holding it together alright but it's getting harder.

gardenerjoy 12-15-2015 12:46 PM

I've been thinking about Nigella's article that clean eating can border on disordered thinking and I have a devil's advocate argument with it.

We live in a disordered environment where the food industry has deliberately and cynically set out to turn us all into compulsive overeaters. When you live in a disordered environment, the best defense might look like disordered thinking if it were in a healthier environment.

If I don't go overboard on the healthy eating, I slip quite rapidly into compulsive overeating. So, I allow myself to be what I used to describe as a "food prude" because my only alternative seems to be frequent binges. I have to carefully structure my eating and food choices so that they don't result in cravings and binges. If I weren't bombarded by advertising and marketing and candy in check-out lines in stupid places like bookstores and craft stores, I wouldn't need to be so vigilant. But, I am bombarded by that all the time, so I need a good defense even if Nigella thinks it looks disordered. She can take it up with me when she's been 70 pounds overweight.

Here's my relevant response card:

Quote:

I can be an overeater or a recovering overeater. There is no other choice for me. Both take time and energy. I'd rather spend my time and energy on recovery.
WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 535/1200 minutes for December, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

howyoulose: so sorry that you're having to deal with such nightmarish stuff right now. Good for you for getting help for your fiancé.

karenrn 12-15-2015 07:32 PM

Good evening coaches,

It's a late check in for me. Food was on plan yesterday, credit.
Today I got a pretty good hike in even though it was under 40 degrees, credit. Food is on plan too.

Gardenerjoy I am on board with you regarding Nigella's article. I wish I didn't need as many rules for myself as I do, but on the other hand I would rather look like I do now than when I don't make a plan, exercise, keep from eating certain foods etc. It is so individual, but we each need to figure out and do what works for us.

Howyoulose It sounds like you are doing the best you can under the circumstances. I hope things are better soon and your stress diminishes.

Love2garden Oh how I envy the good sleep you are getting. I seem to have about an hour and a half in the middle of the night each night to say my prayers. I would prefer to say them at another time.

Maryann Is your birthday the 20th? My Uncle Bob and my brother Robbie both have birthdays on that day.

Onebyone Glad to hear you're feeling more like yourself and also that the scale wasn't as bad as you anticipated. I'm not so sure about the weight loss meeting I attended last night. I am a bit skeptical and opinionated I guess. Some of the things they discussed were great, such as wanting to know the why behind why each of us want to lose weight. I guess I am just not on board with how they like to eat, which is much more plant based, and smoothies etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I don't plan to give up on animal protein and my preference is not to drink my calories unless it is alcohol. I'll give it another try and see. I did take the Beck book and they showed interest in it, so I was happy about that.

Bill Sometimes a person has to use clever bookkeeping, I know I do at times.

Nationalparker Oh a fresh tree sounds so nice. We have had an artificial tree since we moved to Arizona. I like to leave them up for almost 4 weeks and even the fresh ones in Washington were fire hazards by then. But boy do they smell good. My husband went with me the first year, but when I had to see several lots etc he finally had me preview and he would come for the final selection.

Waving to Curlyjax

maryann 12-15-2015 09:12 PM

Good Evening Coaches.
Phone check in while waiting for the sandwich ds will eat after lessons. Credit for having a reasonable salad with my sponsor. Told the truth. Credit for weaving a strong safety net under me when my mind keeps saying "Stop being dramatic." Credit for acting as if I take myself seriously. Ate very healthy today. What did gardenerjoy say? She lost most of her weight on 90% days. I had a 90% day.

Love2garden: creative way to get 2000 steps. Love it.
Karen : yep my bday in on Dec. 20
How to lose: my heart goes out to you. Mental illness is heartbreaking.
Onebyone: decluttering aleays helps me.

Wish me luck on the busiest three days of my year. May I take them one hour at a time with extra breathes and self love.

nationalparker 12-15-2015 10:08 PM

Brief check in; thought i'd have more time today but ended up taking half vacation day and running errands for holidays with DH. He is working opposite schedule starting Thursday through the weekend. I am starting to feel the stress, but it's self-induced. I can control what I choose to undertake/bake/clean/shop for/buy/decorate, etc. Two nights of much-less-than-needed sleep is affecting my outlook.

I'd say this was a 90% OP day for me, as well. Thank you, Maryann for the reminder that that's good enough and not to focus on the 10%. Good luck for your upcoming busy days and that you make choices that are right for your mind and your body.

HowToLose - You're in my thoughts. Take care of YOU as well ... that will help you both. Know you have a group of folks here who have you in their minds.

Bill - I like your bookkeeping on snacks - sounds appropriate - kudos. I really like the idea of walking to classes at night. Just WOW. DH would be in heaven.

Karen - I hope you're able to get fluid rest tonight. I go through times when I fall awake and cannot doze back off. I finally end up thinking of oddball things - how many Dick Van Dyke episodes can I think of (scary lot), how many cars start with the letter C (again, a LOT) ... and on and on. Sometimes my thoughts to the universe got me more worried :)

I've got to run - aiming (again) for add'l personals tomorrow. MANY CREDITS, OneByOne for weighing and checking in here.

BillBlueEyes 12-16-2015 06:53 AM

Wednesday - Boston Tea Party (1773)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At one point I wanted a snack, meaning cookies or chocolate, but had the marvelous thought that I could instead nibble carrots. Which I did, CREDIT moi. My personal calorie counting scheme assigns zero calories to carrots so that was a freebee.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping by the drug store for an errand. They looked absolutely disappointed when I (graciously) refused their plastic bag and stuffed the item in my jacket pocket. You'd think I'd deprived them of a commission or something.

onebyone – Yep, Kuods for "THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY thinking." Good luck figuring our your relationship with Weight Watchers. [Our textbook was superb, In Quest Of The Universe - well worth its new price of $181, with used copies from as low as $0.68 (for 6th edition). I found one for about $3. It's got many side bars, zillions of photos and layman focused text.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the insight that when facing an irrational situation, a sane response might look out sized. I find myself so pointlessly wishing I lived in a supportive food environment. Not likely in this lifetime.

maryann - Kudos for recognizing your priorities - perfect eating choices don't exist. Sending supportive thoughts for the busiest three days of the year.

nationalparker – Sleep is seriously required to function sanely - hope the opportunity arrises. Good call to take a half-day vacation day to shop with your DH.

Karen (karenrn) - Always Kudos for an on-plan day.

Sandy (love2garden) - Neat idea to add extra walking trips to your ironing. [Will choose new courses in a couple of weeks - there's so much that I don't know.]

howyoulose - Sending supportive thoughts as you support your fiancé on his journey. It's clear that you do care and that you're working to find your own path through this. We're on your side.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 3 Stress Traps

#1: The Too Busy Trap

Miranda was accustomed to eating many meals standing up while talking on the phone, going through mail, or doing chores. Sometimes she just grazed and didn't take time to eat a real meal at all. Once she started, Miranda often continued to eat throughout the evening, nibbling on leftovers and whatever snacks she had in the house - which were not usually nutritious.

"I know it's bad not just for me but also for the kids," she said. The nurses at school had sent notes home a couple of months before that said what Miranda already knew: both boys were overweight. She knew she wasn't setting a good example. "Their health, and my health, are the main reasons I want to change how we eat," she said. "But I don't know how to do it, and there aren't enough hours in the day."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 51

curlyjax 12-16-2015 07:58 AM

hi coaches- quick check in. I had a great book group discussion the other night so that perked me up, and gives me hope of new ways to meet other people eventually (we discussed some other churches similar programs). And yay for no food at the meeting!

Onebyone-glad you are feeling better! Thanks for that great list of art movies. I enjoyed Basquiat when it came out, although I hadn't heard of him before that.
howyoulose- so sorry you and your fiancé are going through this hard time. We are thinking of you!

onebyone 12-16-2015 08:59 AM

cancelling, prioritizing, changing

Coaches

Today I could have gone to a high end (ex. you get real cutlery and tap water in real glasses in their food court AND they have concierge parking!) mall, or I could stay home and continue/begin getting things together here. I chose to stay home and will go to that mall during crazy busy xmas shopping next week. I look forward to that. For today the plan is to create a calm living room environment by clearing off the surfaces of things: furniture, table tops, floor alternating with doing the blessed dishes. I may be ready to let some dishes go as well. Over the year I have been slowly adding my own wonky ceramic plates and bowls into our collection of straight-laced fare and I think I am at a tipping point. I hope to have a collection of mismatched handmade dishes only, mostly made by me. That would bring me great joy. DH seems to have no true opinion on this so long as he has a functional surface. If I could make my utensils too I would go for it. I probably could if I put my mind to it, but I need to focus simply on cleaning up.:dizzy:

Foodwise. I ate a half a bag of Chipits yesterday. wtf. I ate them when I found them in the cupboard. Totally surprised me when they were discovered. Ugh. And we finished off the yukky chocolates too. BUT that was yesterday. Otherwise the day went well. Can you say that? Does it count? Beck would say it counts. as in all good choices count and move on from the bad ones. Today is a new day and an opportunity to do better once more.

curlyjax Funny you mention Basquiat. I saw an exhibit of his work here over the summer and one of his pieces really impressed me. I was thinking of it yesterday. Thanks for mentioning the book club as a way to met people. I'm going to mention it to my very lonely friend. Maybe it can help her feel better.

BillBlueEyes Thanks for the textbook name. I'll keep an eye out for it. BTW the Stress Traps postings are making me feel stressed! I read them and think "those people are never going to be able to deal with that. It won't work for them. etc." Basically I am worried about the Beck Book people! I hope she gets to 'the answer" soon!!

nationalparker Nice that you gave yourself mental space and took some time to get done what is important to you. I too am choosing what I need to get done. I don't want to be running around stressed out and forgetting or neglecting important things. I hope you are rewarded for this with a well-earned night of blissful sleep.

maryannI am really glad I read this from you today:
"Credit for acting as if I take myself seriously."
Yes. I need to take my weight, my food choices, my health seriously. I continue to slough them off, like with the chocolate bits yesterday. In what way does that fit into a plan where I take my food choices seriously? No way does it fit. They do meet any healthful criteria I can think of. Thanks for this. It is grounding me today.

karenrn Credit for hiking in cold weather. The Beck book is always a good book to introduce to others as it doesn't dictate a specific food plan. Our food behaviours and habits have us reaching for food X vs. food Y. Kudos on getting to that meeting no matter what the outcome. Trying is the important thing.

gardenerjoy Nigella has her own set of food rules. You don't see her using yellow cake mix, or making corn dogs. hello? I think she gets picked on by others so that's her defense-you can't be perfect but that's far from being obsessive. In our society we are encouraged to gorge ourselves with mindless eating while at the same time restricting ourselves from unwanted calories, maintaining a slim, healthy body and active mind, and also "eating well" whatever that means. So, there are no rules. Therefore, we get to make our own. More power to Us All and to You as well!

howyoulose We have to prioritize where we place our energy and you are looking after your fiance and yourself during a period of high stress and concern. Your food, your weight, your ability to stay on a plan will wax and wane but it is not gone. You will figure out how to adapt to your situation and you will do it. For now just take good care or yourself as best you can. :hug:

love2garden I love your ironing workout. I have to agree that the best way for me to get more movement in is to build it into my ordinary routine. That works great. Today I will be walking over to the grocery store and back. Or over to the swimming pool. haven't decided yet. But walk somewhere I will! Have a great day Sandy.

So, in conclusion, today I will keep it simple=

Three meals. Yes
Nothing in between. Almost.
No seconds. Yes
No sugar. Yes
Drink some water. Yes
Clean something.yes
Declutter something. yes
Dance to one song. No
Watch a documentary. Yes, The Woodman's.
Walk outside to somewhere and back.sort of: carried 5 boxes of ceramic work out to the car to get it out of the apartment. Deliberately did them one at a time.

Bye for now.

karenrn 12-16-2015 09:16 AM

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday food was on plan and no beer or sweets, credit. This morning I'll be walking with a friend who I enjoy, credit. It's in the low 30's here, so I'll be bundled up.

I don't really have plans for the rest of the day, but I do need to do a little Christmas shopping for co-workers coming on Saturday and my friend who is coming for Christmas. This is the time I wish I had picked something up during the year, because I don't have much imagination. I used to do the baking and give each a platter as well as another container of cashew brittle. Not anymore and I will say so far I am going to end the year without a gain in the holidays.

GardenerJoy Thanks for sharing the information on how you do your newsletter. I have a Mac and before next year I will figure out how to do a newsletter with photos for my Christmas letter.

Okay, going to get moving. Have a good day everyone!

gardenerjoy 12-16-2015 09:51 AM

CREDIT for being half-way through my exercise goal for the month, at the half-way point of the month.

WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +70 605/1200 minutes for December, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: Yep! I did lose most of my weight on 90% days. Good luck with your busy time.

karenrn and nationalparker: I've probably mentioned this before, but my sleep has improved in the last year. And, my wakefulness has become less annoying. I read a book called A Blueprint For Your Castle in the Clouds by Barbara Sophia Tammes, but most of what I got from it is apparent from the title. I visit my castle in the clouds every night where I meet with helpful characters, attend healing rituals, and sleep in restful rooms.

onebyone: yes! make our own rules! That's exactly what I was going for and didn't quite get there. Thanks!

nationalparker 12-16-2015 11:06 AM

Early post to say that I came, I ate, I am set. The major temptation for me during the holiday season at work is the HUMONGOUS tin of GOOD popcorn store (not prepackaged tin) of Chicago-style popcorn. It typically sits for DAYS, contents inching lower. And day after day I take a bit and this year I decided when it's out, I'm going to take a full serving, thoroughly enjoy it and that's what I did. The temptation will be gone because by the grace of a very full office, it's nearly empty now. YAY. Our smaller staff lunch is today, and having it this morning will enable me to order less at lunch and be satisfied. The spot is open and I can find something that will fit into this modified plan.
Completely lopsided credit for eating something that's not a healthy food, but I'm taking it for enjoying it and now NO CHOICE but to order lighter and healthier for lunch.