Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
Finally posting! we came back Sunday afternoon safely. I know I tend to be a little down after these trips so I planned how to deal by going off by myself and reading, and we bought grocery store prepared meals so we didn't need to cook. It was great to see my parents, brothers and aunt, but a little sad as I watch my parents getting older, and my dad in particular gets wigged out by the smallest things.
I worked yesterday and am supposed to today, but it is an icy mess out there and my agency is opening late, so I may not go in at all, its not always worth it for a few hours, and being part time sometimes i have to make up the hours anyhow.
So I'm a little relieved- maybe I can get some things done around the house, even though the kiddies are here too.

In the car on the way home I started thinking of projects it would be nice to do, maybe identify one thing a month, so I feel I have gotten something done this year. Last year we had three months taken up by dealing with snow mostly; hopefully this year we will have the time and energy for other things!
Of course my goals will be better eating and health practices, but I like to have some other goals too that I can see results quickly i.e. sort through ten files a day.

I did way too much eating over the holiday, but am starting over, sadly about 5 pounds over where I was last year at this time. Yesterday my DH was home and wanted to make a turkey dinner since we didn't do it ourselves on either holiday, so we now have some nice turkey leftovers which is a nice thing on a wintery day.

I can't keep up with all the postings- it was fun to read a bunch all at once on sunday night!- but will do some personals later today or tomorrow. I have been reading and cheering you all on!

Last edited by curlyjax; 12-29-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

"How many of us have become [food addicts] . . . simply because we don't do the thing our hearts, our inner genius is calling us to? Resistance defeats us." WOA

I made time and space for my healthy food life. I figured out my new Nespresso machine and will not go to Starbucks today. Instead had a healthy breakfast with raw oats, almonds, cottage cheese and coconuts. I'll check in with my coaches and go to the gym by parking farther away than usual to get spontaneous exercise. I added two credits to my counter app. I weighed myself. Only Three pounds above ticker. That's good news.

(Cute - DS wanted to taste the coffee. I made him a decaf cap. with plenty of sugar. He took one sip and declared "How can anyone drink that?" I told him it will save me money on the pods that he hates it Then I told him if you think that is bad, try smoking a cigarette He pledged never to do so.)

Tomorrow we are off to Dillon Beach with friends for 4 nights. I am happy to be on Day 10 with 98% of my food eaten sitting down. I looked ahead and figured out it would be New Year's Eve for the hunger experiment. Evil Resistance tried to make an excuse "I can put it off one day for a holiday." No. This is my creative work right now and I must take it seriously and not piss out the muse of abstinence by being lazy. I am all in today.

onebyone: I so relate to your feelings. That is all they are, however. Feelings not facts. I found a lot of peace in OA.
curlyjax: Credit for making space to be by yourself for a bit. Alone time is very important to me.

Last edited by maryann; 12-29-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #183  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Good Dec 29th, 2015 to you all.

Good Day Coaches.

I am about to spend a few hours cleaning the livingroom today and if I have time left over I will start in on the dining room and Box Mountain 3.0. Though it's more of a rolling hills terrain than a mountain. I will put my audio version of War of Art, narrated by the author, as I work away.

DH is back to work today and that's good. I need the space to myself here.
He reminded me he is off to the movies tonight to see Star Wars again, with work friends who have also seen it. I'm going to tag along but see something else that's playing. We can meet up after the show. I saw Star Wars on Christmas Night with DH. While I liked it I'm not a Star Wars geek. But I did enjoy the camaraderie amongst the theatre patrons. People sure love that series.

Foodwise I have a new crockpot which is bigger than my last one, not necessarily what I wanted, but it does have a snazzy plaid exterior, which IS what I wanted. My old one only cooked on high and then I wrecked the interior with steel wool. Ugh. So I made turkey soup yesterday from our Boxing Day/Xmas celebration bird. It's good. I am happy to have homemade soup at hand.

I'm committing to walking 30min a day. Inside or out I don't care but move I must. It is non-negotiable.

That's it. I'll report back as to how far I made it into my "living room re-do".

gardenerjoy are you still posting in an exercise challenge thread here on 3FC? If so could you point me to it? I'd like to join up to help me stay on track with the walking minutes.

Bye for now.

Checking in: I succeeded in clearing off the major living room spaces and will not dwell on the boxes to the right of me over there that helped me get it sorted out this far. I will complete it by vacuuming, as in unboxing a new vacuum that I bought months ago and using it for the first time, and also by wiping down the coffeetable. CREDIT just did my 20 min walk outside/10min inside. CREDIT.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-29-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #184  

Height: 5' 2"

OnebyOne Crock pot sounds pretty - and being able to cook for longer times and lower temp will be a big help.

MaryAnn Your method of giving your son the "awful stuff" was psychologically brilliant. Had to laugh. I was in my 30's before I liked coffee. Now I drink it black and primarily at home.

CurleyJax Winter projects? I remember that Mom always set up the card table by phone in Dining room in winter. We always had a jigsaw puzzle going. Couldn't go by without stopping to put in a piece or two. Wonder if my card table is still behind the conference room door at the office?

Our winter project is to sort and put Photos in albums. I'd need the card table for that.

CREDIT: 24 HOURS of avoiding eating my favorite ice cream my husband brought me as a gift. Plan to make it longer.
CREDIT: Eating only at the table.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #185  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in cause I want to get to the store before dh gets home.
Credit for strength training at the Y, a 90 minute walk with a friend afterwards and food on plan yesterday. So far food on plan today also. I'm feeling excited about the new year. Like nearing the first day of school. I'm heading out to buy a journal of sorts for the New Year. I signed up for a 2000 mile challenge for 2016. I figure if I'm walking 500 miles in 6 weeks I can do the other 1500 in the other 46 weeks. It was something on FB, but it will keep me motivated. I also signed up for the Daniel Plan diet thru church. First meeting is Jan 11th. It's a twofer, meet people and stay motivated and hopefully get this last 10 pounds off.

Okay, over and out. Personals tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #186  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Quick check in from here, as well. Smart eating at all meals. Credits! Got good sleep last night and we're turning in here soon, as well. Tomorrow we head to Daytona for two nights on the beach for our anniversary and New Year's Eve. We're not party people for the NYEve, but I thought this would be nice and we can set up our luminarias all around our blanket to ring in '16. Looking forward to resetting my mind and body. Today wasn't perfect eating, but, aside from a few more nuts and an unplanned biscotti, I'm good with it. Comfortable companionship with brother. Very thankful for that.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #187  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - USSR formed (1922)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did an end-of-year financial thing that took all day. CREDIT moi for doing what I'm required to do with a full effort to avoid diluting the credit by beating up on myself that I could have done this last month with less stress.

Lunch was a peanut butter, banana, pecan sandwich, CREDIT moi. We've had so many leftovers and whatnot that I've not recently had my standard lunch. Exercise was shoveling snow - not a lot of snow, but enough to go out twice. Two neighbors are out of town giving me extra work so they wouldn’t get tickets from the city for unshoveled sidewalks.

onebyone – Kudos for the determination, "but move I must." Yay for a first use of your new vacuum.

maryann - LOL at your DS tasting coffee. Have a wonderful stay at Dillon Beach.

nationalparker – Yay for good sleep when you're away from home. Enjoy Daytona.

Karen (karenrn) - I still shudder at 500 miles in six weeks.

curlyjax - Sounds reasonable to plan one project a month - you can do that.

Sandy (love2garden) - Super Kudos for avoiding your favorite ice cream.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 3 Stress Traps

#3: The De-Stress with Food Trap
You eat to relax after a stressful day.
Greg was a private security office who struggled under a heavy burden of stress. His main motivation for weight loss was more than thirty pounds of excess bulk that he carried around his stomach. At his age, the weight had become an occupational hazard, making him tired, sluggish, and slow on his feet. "I literally can't afford this weight," he told me. "If I keep gaining, I'll risk not being able to do my job."

Greg was motivated to make changes. He told me that his biggest downfall was dinner. Every night, after a long work shift, he returned home emotionally and physically exhausted. His family life centered on his four-year-old twins, whom he adored but who made his evenings to chaotic that he never had a quite moment.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 57
Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
yesterday was okay food wise although i did make some homemade choc. chip bars-still in the mode of holidays i guess. I got some housework done that had been annoying me and started sorting photos, which is one of my projects just like you love2garden! (I love having a puzzle out to work on too, and i bought one for the family, but it will have to wait until DD's stuff is out of the way, long story).
It's so hard to throw away these adorable pics of my kids when they were babies, but we took hundreds, and these are actual photos not digitals, so something needs to be done. It is slow going and very emotional but my goal is to at least half the boxes I have. I tend to get overwhelmed about the idea of putting them into albums etc and then i don't do anything. Others have suggested scanning them but that is another project and another thing to deal with ultimately!
So that is my project for January!
Onebyone- I read of your progress and are cheering you on!
Maryann- have a great time away! good for you for eating sitting down!
Nationalparker-luminaries on the beach sounds so lovely! Glad you made it safely there and are having a nice time with your brother.
Karenrn- new program with church folks sounds like a great idea!
Bill- good for you for completing your financial task, that sounds dreadful and I would put it off too.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #189  
persist

Thumbs up 2nd last day of 2015

Coaches

More of the same on the agenda for today. I think the decluttering will be a bit harder now. More chaotic as I round the bend into the dining room area. I have high hopes for this space. I'm also itching to get at my studio space which needs an overhaul as well, but I will not split my focus. Today that strikes me as self-sabotage and classic distraction. Resistance to completing this task for sure. I will stay focused on the apartment. DH needs to have this tended to as well, not just me.

Foodwise, I rummaged through xmas bags until I found something sweet to eat late last night. I ate a big chocolate bar. I ate 3x the amount I needed for dinner. Today I will not change much foodwise except to bring the quantity of my food down and to resist the sugar.

Exercise today will be my non-negotiable 30min of moving.

I'll report in later.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-30-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #190  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Made it through two incredibly busy days at work. It's still fun and rewarding, especially since I still remember when I struggled to walk up my stairs at home. Credit. Food choices could have been better. I completed my 10 hour work day then drove my mom down to Denver for an appointment and misc. errands, which included Costco.

While driving I had a brilliant idea. I've been contemplating a short break from food prep, etc, and I remembered Costco sells organic juices; one being a 3 day protocol. Voila! I investigated and liked what I saw. The company is Suja. I purchased. It's called 3 day Fresh Start and includes 3 juices for each day AND a menu plan for small healthy meals. It's just what the Dr ordered. LOL. DH is gone and while I have the brainpower and equipment to do my own…..I'm given the gift of a fresh start while resting my overstimulated brain. I am saving the cute bottles and will make my own "carry with me" juices after my 9 bottles are empty. LOL. One of the mixtures is a probiotic which I've been thinking about since I took a round of antibiotics last week for an infected tooth. The added bonus was to get to use my fairly new rice cooker to make quinoa, which is included in one of the suggested meals. Credit.

BBE, ah….pbbp sammie! Still one of my favorites to go back on my list for 2016! Kudos for all your spontaneous exercise shoveling your neighbors sidewalks.

Nationalparker, I'm so glad to hear you are having a wonderful visit in sunny Florida. I will be thinking of you on the beach in Daytona! Happy Anniversary!

Karenrn, kudos for putting the 2000 mile challenge into your 2016 plan! I've heard great reports about the Daniel Plan! It sounds like a great new adventure!

Love2garden, credit for 24 hrs ice cream free and for eating only at the table!

Onebyone, kudos for decluttering and for plans for yoga and reconnection with your OA. What a difficult holiday…..kudos for making it special for others and for being able to gain valuable insight to your own addictions via others.

MaryAnn, lol at the thought of your DS tasting coffee AND imagining smokes. Thanks for your valuable insights these past few weeks. It has helped me lots!

CurlyJax, glad you made it home safely and had a great family visit. Kudos for goals for 2016!

My joy this morning was sitting out in the freezing cold...still dark....watching my two pups meander around the yard. They were so content and happy. Observed how much more peaceful I felt due to all the work I did in the yard last season. Anticipating and making new yard plans for 2016.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #191  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

onebyone: here's our monthly exercise challenge thread -- I need to get a new one up today or tomorrow!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chic...challenge.html
I'd love to have you join us!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #192  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Phone checkin. Credit a half a pound down, weight training circuit, credit counter is at 48, and I have set up "monitoring my hunger" exercise in my phone. Right now I am hungry because I haven't eaten breakfast so off I go😄

Last edited by maryann; 12-30-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #193  
persist

Exclamation Resistance/flexing resistance muscle(s)/ ALL of them

Coaches

I am feeling really demoralized and overwhelmed. I have pushed through today's intense resistance to decluttering/tackling the boxes and bags that have been sitting in my dining room. Yesterday I felt I had made progress. Right now, no.

However here are the facts I am taking credit for:

Since starting yesterday
-I have emptied 7 different size/type of bags and sorted/re-assigned their contents to new boxes. *credit
-I have emptied one basket. *credit
-I have emptied 8 boxes of various sizes and moved their contents into new boxes, removing anything immediately usable for my artwork. *credit
-I have tied up, ready to be brought to our local recycling enter, 7 garbage bags with one in progress that I expect will be ready to go as well tomorrow. *credit

What I am upset about is I am afraid it isn't good enough. That even with my best efforts I will still have too much stuff for this apartment. That I can't do this, can't complete it, won't get it done and I won't even be able to move past this issue. I have little hope we will be moving to a bigger place. I don't want to rely on storage lockers. And.... if I substitute "diet" or "weight loss" into the paragraph above you/I can see how the declutter issue truly parallels and reflects my feelings surrounding the issue of weight loss. The lack of confidence I feel in getting to the bottom of a clean orderly home environment is very similar to my inner doubt as to whether I can sustain/choose/follow/simply do what it takes to become a healthy weight. I find this scary right now but that just means I am *feeling * it. And it's ok. Feelings aren't facts. But no doubt this is important for me to do. Important work. The intensity of the feelings tells me that's true. I suspect a breakthrough via decluttering will help me on the weight loss front too.

I will persevere. I want to see what happens when I get to the other side of it. And I will get there. I have to.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-30-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #194  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Good afternoon coaches,

I did my grocery shopping and some cooking this morning so I could wait for it to get warmer before my hike. Ended up just doing a shorter one, since I'm doing a longer one tomorrow with a group. Credit for food on plan, no alcohol, no sweets and some exercise. My weight is down a bit and if I can just stay the course till the end of the year (Big if) I will have gotten thru the holidays without a weight gain. Or at least ending the holiday season without a weight gain. My weight graph would look like a picket fence. Up and down and up and down.

One by one I hear your struggle and I support you and I wish there were more I could do. You can do this, I know you can. One step at a time and building confidence as you go.

Maryann Good job staying the course. You are working hard and it is working.

Lexxis Great idea to take a break from food prep. Sometimes we just have to think outside the box.

Curlyjax I can't seem to face the photos either. They are neatly in a box and one of these days I'll get to them. I did take many slides in to a company and had them scanned and put on a CD. My Mom and Dad had thousands of them. I had slide shows with my Mom and then alone after she died and whittled them down majorly before I had them scanned.

Bill I handle the finances at my house and I guess there are things I need to do soon at least. Good on you for getting your project completed.

Nationalparker I'm so glad you're having a good visit with your brother and sounds like a nice time coming up for your anniversary. Happy anniversary!

Love2garden Your comments make me want to have a card table and a jig saw puzzle. I have a dining room table and kind of large coffee table in the living room that I could put them on, but I'd be in there alone. I might check out either a card table or a board I could put on the table in the kitchen or family room and move it when I need it out of the way. Seems like it would be a great thing to do to keep the hands busy and not be on the stupid computer.

Tomorrow is a hike about an hour north of here and then home to get ready for an very informal party at our house. I did buy the journal/planner for the New Year, so I need to think about what info I want to record in it each day. Lots to think about to plan for the New Year.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #195  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Phone check in as well...DH surprised me with a diamond sapphire ring for our anniversary! A big surprise since we'd said no gifts...just the beachfront stay. Plus the most heartwarming card...and what did I give him? Nothing. I can't find the card I brought for him. Argh.

No snacks today. Credit. Good breakfast. Credit. Lunch was specialty salad at a restaurant I love, then we drove siren the oceanfront road instead of interstate...which dh loved. Dinner was bruschetta and two slices of pizza margherita.I should have stopped at one. Esp since we're planning on a mini desert from publix...maybe we table that for tomorrow...

Temps have been mid-80s. When I lived here this was odd winter weather...same now. But I'll take it.

Personals after we return to my brother's...but I'm feeling and commiserating with the angst I'm picking up. Hang on tight to get through the next holiday! Good luck Maryann with the hunger experiment!
Closed Thread