Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #31  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Ok, hopes for a lighter weigh-in were curtailed with a pound jump in the scale today... so Beck is right - seeing it go up and down is easier than working hard for a week and just then seeing a rise. Reminding myself to rein in hopes for Saturday. But to eat well. On my way back to the office from volunteering at the elem school, I wanted french fries. I might stop for fries once/year as a treat. No choice today. Dinner will be at home before we head out to a performance of "The Game's Afoot".

Karen - Good luck with the solitude while DH is gone. I never minded being alone UNTIL we got the dog - then she'd go to the door and growl and I couldn't see anything ... ignorance was bliss ha ha.

Bill - I like hearing about your stopping at the mini libraries. Would you believe I have ZERO in my zip code. DH is on board with me and I feel it's legit, in starting one in our neighborhood. Once I realized we could put it near our sidewalk, I have been all over it. Winter project. Does yours have a mix of adult/children's books?

CurlyJax - I'll echo Bill's extraction and commendation of your line - I've filled myself up with good things already - no more eating. I want to look at doing that before eating when alone. Often I'm not hungry but seeking comfort and I need to find that elsewhere. It seems so simple and your line really resonated with me. I need to seek that elsewhere. Thank you.

Lexxiss - Life is never going to pass you by, that's for sure. You grab on and extract what you can from every single day. Credits! I'll set that as my goal for this weekend - prep gardens for winter. Today it's still warm (70) but chill arrives tomorrow.

DH is worried about the direction his company is heading and is trying to proactively search for another position. I'm worried about him leaving his company after 26 years (he started there after HS graduation). I need to take a step back and let this be HIS decision. Each of us knows best our work lives and I have to stop "scaring" him with what ifs - and reminding him that he likes the ample vacation time from this company. He hates the shift work, it's hard on his body as he's in mid-40s and your lifespan is seven years less on avg with shift work. I'm worried about him leaving a job for something that might not pan out and that's negative thinking.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #32  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Bolsheviks revolt (Russia, 1917)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to class where I had to give a brief report. The Internet is amazingly convenient. The morning of class, I emailed the single chart to the leader who later projected it from his notebook allowing me to speak from my chair without any mucking-about time wasted. When it works, it really works.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks just a bit large. Halloween candy keeps reappearing from all the folks who didn't give it all out or who've taken it away from their kids.

nationalparker – Had to google "The Game's Afoot" - looks like fun. Kudos for using NO CHOICE on those French fries.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for helping your DS with paperwork. There are some of us who'd rather have a tooth drilled than face a form.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #6: Build up your "resistance muscle."
Every decision matters. If I choose to make an
exception, I'll strengthen my giving-in muscle
and weaken my resistance muscle, and it will
get harder and harder to avoid exceptions in the
future. If I decide to stay in control, I'll strengthen
my resistance muscle and weaken my giving-in
muscle, and it will get easier and easier to make
good choices in the future. Every time matters.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 34
Old 11-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
DD's party is today and I can't wait to get it over with!! We've all been a bit stressed over it. My leg has been really aching for a few days and I wonder if its stress showing up there. Too many unknowns and i'm a little worried about kids getting out of hand. But at least it will be over tonight. Never again!! It's a little silly to be focusing so much on this when there are terrible things happening in the world, but sometimes your own stuff is all you can deal with. I will get back to the rest of the world tomorrow!
There is still way too much candy around, and after tonight there will be a lot of sheet cake leftover. I'm hoping I can just get rid of most of it quietly, no one else needs that kind of junk either.
Karenrn- looking forward to hearing about preparations for Peru!
Nationalparker-glad my sentiment helped; I'll have to remember it more often myself! It is hard thinking about job directions-one tends to agonize over it no matter what decision is made.
Happy Friday to all!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #34  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

It is only 48 degrees here this morning, so I've been waiting for a little bit to head out on my hike. I'm doing a 10 mile loop this morning. I did attend the strengthening class yesterday and enjoyed it again, credit. My portions were too large at dinner and I made a little sweet treat which I really didn't need. I threw the brown sugar out afterwards cause I guess I can't have it in the house when I have whipping cream in the house (which I used in an Indian dish). I'm not crazy about chocolate, but anything with brown sugar I love.

Dh and I had talked about doing some remodeling while we don't have a pup, but I hate it and I've talked him into waiting a year (or more). I actually need to get busier with some other things and as far as I'm concerned I can wait to spend that much money, or borrow it on the line of credit. I'd rather travel. It is a relief to me that he's agreed.

Curlyjax Good luck with the party today. I hope it turns out to be more fun than you anticipate.

Bill Yes, isn't technology incredible. Things are so different these days. I'm sure teaching is a whole different ballgame than it was years ago.

Nationalparker I'm also trying to weight daily, not just when I feel thinner, and I saw a 2 pound jump up this morning. I'm sure some of it is real and some of it is likely from being sore from weight training. In any event I'm hoping it keeps me on my toes. I need to allow myself to feel hungry more often than I have lately for sure. I made it thru the night without dh or the dog. I did have a couple hours awake in the middle of the night, but I could turn the TV on since dh wasn't here. Re: your husband's job dissatisfaction. My husband has always stayed in the same field, but he has changed jobs numerous times. At first I would be a nervous wreck, but after this many years I am pretty used to it. I do hope he stays with his current company until he retires since it is only 2 miles away and he is soon to be 60. I can understand why your husband would want a change away from shift work. It really is hard on the body. He may not even mind not having so much time off if he felt better regularly.

Okay, up and at 'em for me. I've got a new book on the phone to listen to as I hike and it's a beautiful sunny day.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #35  
Enjoying la bella vita

Thankful for a patient DH - I thought the theatre was starting a half hour later than it did, so we were 15 minutes late after construction detours and a rainy commute. A comedy of errors ensued as box office where will call tickets were being held was closed ... and someone in charge just let us in to sit in the back. I told her which seats were ours so they'd know we had purchased tickets and tried to dive right into the plot. Silly and enjoyable.

Credit for turning DH down on suggesting dinner out on the way twice ... and cooked up quick turkey burgers and had mine without a bun. Also credit for skipping dessert after the show and having light popcorn instead. Donut Friday is NO CHOICE.(Every time matters!) I did open the box to see what was in there - I always check them out and say a silent thanks when there are no maple options. Packed a very light lunch because of lack of planning. I KNOW it won't keep me long enough to get to dinner so will head home at lunch and eat there instead.

We were planning to enjoy a firepit tonight, but not sure because of the weather. Only eight Friday nights left in 2015 and we're going to enjoy them! I just want to make sure I eat wisely today and don't sodium-load ...would like the scale to reflect my focus this week.

Our wedding anniversary is between Christmas and New Year's and I'm trying to plan two nights at a hotel on a beach in Florida if we can make it there after Christmas. Sinking toes in sand (even cool sand), walking on the beach, setting down blankets with candles and relaxing under the stars, enjoying the firepit on the deck behind the hotel - this all sounds just like a great celebration to me. DH will be IN. Now to fiddle schedules and finances to make it work.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

"Every time matters" is a wonderful theme for today.

Super credit for six days following 100% my new rule: No sweets at work in November. As a result, the scale is one pound below ticker. I made a deal with myself on that on a non-fast day, I can eat any sweet I want as long as I leave campus. Suzlen knows that the ability to get off campus during the day is limited and by the time I leave for the day, I am not craving sweets. Hurrah. I can see this helping me so much through the holidays at work.

I borrowed this rule from a former poster, BethfromDayton. When I originally read it, a huge lightbulb went off in my head. "Is that possible?" I thought. What I have found so far is I am not wasting calories on food that is "there", rather wisely spend calories on food that I want.

KarenRN: I am looking forward to hearing about your plans from Peru as well.
Curleyjax: I hosted a sleepover last weekend. I never have liked other people in the house. I am an anxious hostess so I know how you are feeling.
Nationalparker: How far is Florida from where you live? I miss having a warm beach close. I grew up in Malibu. The only concession I had in marrying my farmer was to become completely landlocked.
BBE: DS finished The Martian. We are off to see the movie this weekend.

Last edited by maryann; 11-06-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #37  

Height: 5' 2"

MaryAnn Wonderful challenge to yourself to eliminate sweets at work for the entire month. Glad your body rewarded you too. Isn't it amazing how the craving for sugar gets so much less.

Karen What do you do in your strengthening class? To combine this with your hiking AND to enjoy it is perfect.

CurlyJax Sympathy for the stress you are experiencing. Teenage parties can be quite an event.

NationalParker What a way to celebrate your Anniversary. Hope it works out well for you two.

Bill I liked your ability to send material by internet to use right away in class. I'm reading a fantastic book on Geology in Oregon spurred by reading the site you listed a while back. In Search of ANCIENT OREGON A geological and Natural History by Ellen Morris Bishop. The photography really does help me begin to grasp this amazing part of USA.
DD#2 took a classes from a Geologist while living in Oregon so she and I can discuss some of these concepts and way out information jewels.

Yesterday I took a "pause" day yesterday on my sugar surrender and enjoyed my favorite ice cream instead of normal supper. It was good, but not quite as good as I anticipated. So far I have no need to have any more. If I can modify that desire enough to have treat occasionally, what a victory.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #38  
Enjoying la bella vita

Interesting tids and bits from reading "Hungry:..." (I am really growing to HATE long book titles, so I'm in defiance of writing the full title - whatever happened to brief titles?) Anyway ... in this quick read, a few pointers from his writing that I read at lunch:

It's just lunch. It's not bigger because you had a small breakfast, it's not smaller so you can overeat at dinner. It's just lunch. Just eat Lunch.

It's just today - and today has no relation to yesterday or tomorrow - eat right for today. You're not "owed" food you didn't eat yesterday or last week, nor do you have to undereat to compensate for a big meal last night. You're not saving up for Christmas dinner in six months. It's Friday. Eat Friday's food.

Nobody ever starved between lunch and dinner. (Thinking he would is part of what got him to more than 300 pounds.)

and this thought - "When a meal becomes more important than the person I'm sitting across from, I'm out of balance...when the meal is more important than the party I'm at or the holiday I'm supposed to be celebrating, I'm out of balance." Sometimes just an awareness - we all know we have issues with food, but resetting the focus to our loved ones and what we're gathering to celebrate might be beneficial.

CurlyJax - GOOD LUCK with the gathering tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed for a drama-free event with no teen girl hysterics.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Colorado allows women to vote (1893)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, meant briefly stopping by the drug store - one of the Big Box ones. Our area has only one privately owned drug store left; all the others have been consumed by national brands. When I was sent to the drug store as a kid, I'd hold up the item I was picking up as I walked out so that the clerk could see me and that constituted my end of the paperwork for charging it to our account. I then mounted my pet dinosaur and rode home, LOL.

Eating was only OKish. I hope to be out of the house more today so that the siren calls from my pantry can't be heard.

maryann - Yay for "No sweets at work in November" - fun to remember BethfromDayton saying that.

nationalparker – Yay for bargaining your way into the theatre. Thanks for the reminder that Will Call can be a problem. I just received a call from a ticket office because a change in the set design meant that out tickets were now blocked. "You can pick up your new tickets at the Will Call window." Me, "No, mail them - I've seen the line at the Will Call window." Always Kudos for skipping dessert. (I agree, book titles should be brief, like Dune.)

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for tossing that brown sugar that's a temptation for you. I share your distaste for the huge amount of money that gets consumed by renovations.

curlyjax - Hope your DD's party went well.

Sandy (love2garden) - I like the flexibility to take a pause - and then to experience that the reality doesn't match the expectation. [Ancient Oregon must be such a neat study. It's fun to learn that you guys joined the rest of us chunk by chunk over the eons.]

Readers -
Quote:

Think about how many exceptions you've made in the past and how they have affected your weight. Create a reminder card, such as the one [posted yesterday], to read daily so you can practice a compelling response to self-talk that tells you an exception doesn't matter. You may fool yourself by thinking, "It's only pretzel crumbs. Can't be more than twenty calories." But it's not just the calories that should be your primary concern - it's the habit.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 35

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-08-2015 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
thanks for all the good wishes on the party. It is over and went well, yay! Everyone stayed a "respectable" amount of time and we heard a lot of happy talking and laughing. It was unseasonably warm here so the kids could spill outside onto a patio (it was actually at a hotel in a small room, my house is too small to host 20 teenagers!) which was helpful. My DD is very happy and we can pat ourselves not the back for giving her such a treat. Never again however, until she gets married! Even though I tried to plan, I learned a lot of things about throwing parties, like get the decorations prepped in advance!
Now of course we have lots of bad leftovers. I am trying to persuade DH to toss some of them- how many chips do we need?and they will quickly grow stale. He wants to bring some leftover cake into work, but I think by monday it will be pretty stale too. I feel over sugared an feel absolutely no interest in any of it at any rate.
Nationalparker- that book sounds interesting, and very Beck like. your plans for a wedding anniversary sound lovely! Keep us posted on the details!
Karenrn- i know what you mean about renovating. Its exhausting and takes over your life! I would much rather travel too.
Maryann- good idea for a November challenge. I think of you in CA with this warm weather we're having, I can see why so many people want to live there!
love2garden- that is great that you didn't feel a desire for more, a victory indeed!
Bill-nice memory about drugstore credit. My m-in-law had a similar system until about 4 years ago with a small grocery in town. Then of course it was taken over and that stopped. I hope it still exists somewhere.

I plan to relax this weekend, pick up from the party and start planning for the rest of november. Happy weekend all!

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-07-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #41  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Here I am waiting for it to warm up a little bit before heading out for my loop hike again. Food was on plan yesterday, no alcohol, and exercise was good also, credit. The 2 pounds are off again. I have a Garmin Vivo that I wear that counts my steps and also will sync with a HR monitor when I wear it. I sync to a site that shows me my steps each day, but in addition if you want they'll put you in a challenge with others. I am in second place just now in the weekly 95,000 step challenge. Not hiking Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday means I really have had to up my mileage on these other days. It is motivating for me as I may not have gone today without it. I have the time, so why not. "I hike to eat!"

Bill Obviously I would find it difficult to have anything tempting in the pantry. Sometimes I feel for my dh who has nothing good around the house to eat. Luckily he goes along with it.

Nationalparker Interesting thoughts from the book you're reading. I will have to look and see what it is if I can find it from just the first word . . ha ha.

Love2garden The class I'm taking is called Group Power. I think the YMCA follows a specific program for some of these classes that they hold all over. Anyway, when we get there, we each set up a step, grab a bar and a few different weights that easily go off and on the bar as needed and I use dumbbells for a couple of exercises cause I can't put the bar behind my neck due to a shoulder problem. They start the music and we do squats, lunges, variations of those, exercises for the shoulders with the bar, arms, and a whole sequence of things. The instructor wears a headset/microphone and tells us what to do. It is the same routine each time. The difference is each person can use the amount of weight they need and increase as able.

Maryann Good for you for your diligence in following you 100% rule. I use the "No Choice" in the same way.

Curlyjax Hoping to hear that the party was a compete success and not near as stressful as anticipated.

Dh will be home late this afternoon. He's had a good time with his golf outing. So funny, he asked if I had a new puppy in the house yet. I think about it a lot and wonder what we'll do. On the one hand it would be nice to go and not have a pet to worry about. On the other hand we so loved the pup and I'm sure we would love another. We are in contact with Rocky Mountain High Cockers. If you love puppies check out their FB site. Photos of the newest pups are on there and it just about makes me want to drive up and get one. We have also checked Cocker rescue sites, but they are not a very popular breed anymore and most of the dogs on the site are Chihauhuas and Pitbulls.

Okay, out the door I go. I can handle 50 degrees. Have a great weekend everybody.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #42  
Enjoying la bella vita

I have to admit I was semi-excited to weigh in this morning because I have been OP this week - passing on leftover Halloween stuff still all over the office, or if I had something, I tracked it at 90 calories and that was it. Skipped the donuts that hung around until closing yesterday. Got home and started prepping dinner - turkey bolognese sauce with red wine and spaghetti ... and large mixed salads. I was just ready to toss the pasta in the boiling water and DH asked if I wanted to go for a walk. He NEVER initiates a walk. Ever. So the burners went off, we got ready and headed out as the sun was just slipping beyond the horizon and the sky was ablaze with salmons, pinks, oranges and violets. Just stunning. Returned home after the three miles and got back onto dinner. My foot was killing me after sitting for dinner. I need to get this checked out. Limping the rest of the night. Stretched it out a LOT this morning and will ice here soon.

ANYWAY, weighed in to a WALLOPING one pound loss despite it being lower yesterday. Oh well ... DH hollered in from the bedroom, asking why i was weighing when I know I'm going to be high from my body cycle. I said I'm down one but up 1.5 from yesterday. I just KNEW I'd be 173.6 - smug didn't work out ... but anyway it's a loss on week one and I worked each day for it and will stay focused for this week and hopefully when all's back to normal with my body, I'll show a larger loss. Or at least just keep working my resistance muscle hard.

Getting all sorts of oddball things done this morning while he tries to sleep in late so he can work all night. Night #1 and #2 are always the hardest on him.

Karen - I like "I hike to eat" I admire you for always getting out there when you can, but not being obsessive about it - it's a natural part of your life, you enjoy it, it's social as well as activity but not a compulsion. Credits!! (The book is linked to that Hungry word- it was a 1.99 kindle purchase - that's why I jumped. I bookmarked a few things on it to make cards of. I especially liked some of his lines. One or two page chapters - just thoughts. It DID get me thinking that the slender folks at work are NOT grazing all day long! They're just working at work, not snacking at work in the afternoon. (morning donuts aside...) And .. enjoy the new puppy to come. I'm getting the new pup in the house soon vibe. You'll be a great loving home to another one!

Bill - Here, too, the small pharmacies are non-existent, having been put out of business by the big CVS, Wal Mart, Target, Walgreens folks. I LOVE your recounting of picking things up as a kid. I picture it in Mayberry and you're waving your item to Ellie Walker (Eleanor Donohue). A favorite show of mine.

CurlyJax - Glad to hear that the party went off without a hitch and your DD had a grand time. Pat yourselves on the back! She'll remember this. Leftovers that you've paid for are SO HARD to handle... if the main party wasn't so much work, a small gathering could be fun, but too much on a big weekend. Sometimes after a big event, I just crawl into a shell to regroup.

Maryann - KUDOS for the not at work mindset - I do think of Beth with that as well ... WHEN i'm eating. Hmm. Florida is now a 16-hour drive for us. I don't like being this far from "home" but now it's just my brother/family and some friends there. And my heart.

Love2Garden - Great news on how the sugar abstinence has worked for you - and the ability to enjoy a favorite but not be tempted by more. What are your biggest challenges heading into Thanksgiving? Will you be hosting/joining others?

Off to keep things moving along this morning. Debating seeing if DH wants to get Thai for lunch - smaller portions, cheaper price and on our way for errands...
Old 11-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was a little high for a fast day. I really want to focus on only a smoothie and a small salad on those days. I practice again tomorrow. Nationalparker's quote "Noone starved between lunch and dinner" helps. I have never starved between lunch and bedtime either. I am uncomfortable and afraid without the crutch of nibbling through out the day. Weight is a pound below ticker. I am committed to going to the store to get more pea protein and green veggies.

DS has a festival with adjudication. He is playing Vivaldi's Spring. I am aware of the anxiety this brings up in me when he gets "judged." If I stay aware I think I am less likely to eat over it.

Curlyjax and BBE: There are still places that work off accounts. We have a restaurant and of course the "plug in jug" mart in the little town next to our orchard - pop 900.
KarenRn: That is a lot of steps. Credit.
Love2garden: the idea of not having to "diet" every minute for everyday helps me to be compliant. It is hopping back on the "resistance" train tat is tricky.

Last edited by maryann; 11-07-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #44  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker I agree with MaryAnn the statement "Noone starved between lunch and dinner" drew a smile. I'm finally learning to simply wait it out and am pleased that the "hunger" leaves rather quickly.

Largest challenge for November? Staying active as weather stops gardening and walking activities. Thank goodness the gym is only 6 miles away.

CurlyJaxCongratulations on great party for your DD! So glad to hear it went off well and your largest problem now is left overs.

Karen The only dog I wanted as a teen was a blond Crocker Spaniel. I got it the day we rolled up the dining room rug and put it on the back porch. Mistake was to put new puppy in same area, and rug was his chewing toy. Mom was so furious the dog was gone in 24 hours.

Thank goodness DH loves dogs so we've had a number of them over the years.

Gym today for Strength training. Increasing my reps gradually. At my age I must guard against damaging a body part that may or may not heal. I've always enjoyed being active and certainly want to continue it.

Bill I'm also working hard on that "resistance muscle"
Old 11-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Rontgen discovers X-Rays (Germany, 1895)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Trekked for two and a half hours with DW in the Middlesex Fells, CREDIT moi. There's such a sense of wilderness there and DW is always so pleased with the different micro eco-systems that pass with minor elevation changes. One oak tree had nearly purple leaves - striking. The path we chose deliberately goes up and over each rock cropping left behind by the last glacier.

Hiking about is a good way to avoid snacks. CREDIT moi for a good snack day supporting a full on-plan day. A neighbor went apple picking and brought us a whole bag of two kinds: Spencer and Empire. It's more than we can eat fresh so DW plans to make a bunch of apple sauce.

maryann - Thanks for its proper identification, "without the crutch of nibbling."

nationalparker – Kudos for recognizing that the time was right for a good walk with your DW. Hope that foot heals rapidly.

Karen (karenrn) - We passed a couple deep in the woods yesterday walking with their Pomeranian-Chihuahua mix (we asked). I thought I'd die laughing at the tiny dog in the great big outdoors. Wish you well in making your pup decision. Kudos for joining a challenge that expects 13K+ steps per day.

curlyjax - Yay for 20 teens partying at their best. Hope you find a way to make that cake disappear.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for taking a realistic balance between your resistance work and your body.

Readers -
Quote:

Strengthening your resistance muscle
  • Helps you develop the self-control you need to lose weight. Success builds on success. Having a well-developed resistance muscle will make dieting much easier.

• Prepares you for difficult times ahead. Using your foundation strategies generally makes dieting - and later, maintenance - go relatively smoothly. But there will always be traps. A strong resistance muscle will keep you out of them!
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 35
Closed Thread