Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #136  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Like onebyone, I'm also closing in on my low weight for the year and would be really thrilled to be there or below on New Year's Eve. As much as anything, it's a desire to set myself up well for 2016.

WI: +0.25 kg, Exercise: +40 880/1200 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 11-23-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Pecan picking was a smashing success. The day was beautiful. The leaves of the orchard really put on a show. The food turned out to be the best meal of the year. Sushi, somosas, bbq goose, turkey pot pie, dear salami - so many things qualified for BBE's rare delicacies. The trick for me came the next day hopping right back OP which I did with limited success. Weight was just two pounds above ticker. I bet I can get it back down by Thanksgiving.

Credit for all the exercise in set up, clean up and circulation.

Today I am going to honor my pledge in keeping up with some reading. I have already walked and done PT. I will settle into my room and start Cloud Atlas to see how that sits. DS has a friend coming over. I will bake cookies but I have put two into my plan with the accompanying protein my diet dictates.

So glad all of you are posting through the holidays. I don't want to come out of this extended weekend three pounds up since it takes so long to lose even one pound.

Last edited by maryann; 11-23-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #138  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm on the opposite side of the lowest weight and am facing my highest weight of the year and am panicky because I don't want to add to it with holiday excuses. On track today, though, and I'm going to take credit now. Dinner is planned, quick, and OP.

Two errands to do on my way home from work. The day flew past me and was very stressful/busy. I opened my desk drawer no fewer than seven times, looking for a snack. Thankfully all I have in there are a few 35-calorie strips of Sixlets, nothing that is a big lure.

Scale down a smidge to just two pounds over ticker but by golly, can I not even make forward progress. I have the line in my mind that why bother if I just go off a bit with regular food (nothing scrumptious ha) and rebound right up there.

Baby steps: goal tonight is to stay on plan, drink add'l water since I've not gotten in much lately, and get good sleep. Foot is still painful, and will work on the rolling it over a frozen water bottle.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:36 AM   #139  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - D.B.Cooper parachutes with $200k (1971)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to my classes on a delightfully clear day. I have a better idea how galaxies form. The secret: it takes a few billion years and tons of dark matter.

Eating was OK. I had my black walnut cranberry cake for snacks. I look forward to this being gone. DW made the brine for the turkey in a large lobster pot that we'll use for the soak. We face some creative use of refrigerator space.

onebyone – Congrats on that nice scale feedback. Either I had never read Kafka's Metamorphosis or I didn't remember. Now I have and DW and I are discussing Gregor at dinner; neither of us has a sane interpretation. (First line: "One morning, upon awakening from agitated dreams, Gregor Samsa found himself, in his bed, transformed into a monstrous vermin.) I need to choose a different author for relaxing reading. [I'll add Black Walnut Bakery to my Bucket List.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – And Congrats to you also for good scale readings.

maryann - Neat that your pecan picking day was a success. Yep, knowing that I'll be posting through the holidays helps me also.

nationalparker – Kudos for keeping that desk drawer devoid of tempting snacks.

Karen (karenrn) - An audiobook sounds like a good companion for a ten mile hike.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #9: Adopt (and adapt) an eating plan you can follow for life.

Remember, we don't want you to make any changes in your eating that you can't keep up. It is completely unrealistic to think that you can eliminate your favorite foods long term. Many of our deiters decide to have one reasonable portion of junk food every day. They usually plan to eat in the evening, so they can look forward to it all day long. Avoiding junk food at other times is much easier because they think, "Even though I'd like to eat that cookie now, I'm going to resist because I'd much rather have the candy bar that's on my plan for after dinner." And planning a treat every night also keeps them from eating more than one portion because they know they can have it (or another junk food item) the next day and the next day and the next, for the rest of their lives.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 39
Old 11-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 178/172/100

Height: 4'11

Here I am, somehow crawling back when I never thought I would, because let's face it showing my face when I've failed isn't one of my strong suits however I feel like I need a particular amount of support at the moment. I'm currently on day three of the weight loss workbook and feeling a little discouraged because my daily weigh-ins are honestly making me depressed. Part of me is saying don't do it but I honestly don't know what else to do anymore.

I've gained another nine pounds, bringing me up to a whopping 177, whereas I thought 168 would be my heaviest. I don't even want to know my measurements but I'm going to take those if I feel even remotely motivated sometime today. I guess my job got the best of me and honestly night shift is depressing as anything, I need to get out of it somehow but my boss will just not take me off nights so I'm pretty much stuck until I find another job. My anxiety however is keeping me from moving forward in any direction so I'm sort of stuck. My weight is only making my anxiety worse and thus the vicious circle continues.

Little victory: I've started cooking again. For a long time it was take-out night after night or shitty food out of a package because I simply couldn't bring myself to do it but two weeks ago I bought actual food, produce and real meat and have managed to cook all of it without it going bad, something I didn't foresee happening. Actual healthy meals. Of course my eating habits still aren't the greatest because, if there's one thing I can tell you, night shift really screws that up for you, how you eat.

I'm simply at the end of my rope. I just don't know how to get moving or get over my anxiety or get another job. I can say this though, it took a lot of guts to post again but it feels a little bit better.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #141  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Welcome back HowYouLose! I hope getting back with a group here will help lessen your discouragement. You are back to making better choices! Credit for that!

maryann, celebrating your successful pecan picking party! It sounded like a truly enjoyable event!

Me, still hanging in there despite many life challenges. This past week had many interesting moments...especially my mom going "missing" last Friday during a snow storm. After having not heard from her for hours and her not returning our calls we had a trusted friend go check and determine that her car was not in the garage at 8pm. By 830 my sis and I were in the car headed towards the Denver side. Fortunately she called. She was safe but her car was parked 10 miles from home where she had left it before she and a friend (who was driving) left for a meeting. After the interstate closed, it took many hours of back road driving to return home. The friends brought her car back the following day. Whew!

I enjoyed a rare Sunday off and attended my church potluck. Got up early yesterday morning and drove the 2-1/2 hrs. to work......had 45 minutes at home and was at work by 630 am. Got back in the car afterwards and drove my Dh's DD's vehicle to Denver since she was flying in late. Returned at 830 pm and headed right to bed.

My friend has her 2nd chemotherapy today and Sunday we finally found someone to be with her. Yay!

TG planning has been difficult with so many different family groups....and no option for "everyone" to do one meal. Our final option has been to do a small dinner tomorrow with my mom, sis and DH. We were going to travel back over to be with our friend post-chemo, but she opted to stay "in" and have a meal delivered. So....we will stay here and choose not to attend the younger generation's celebration where the strung-out DD often makes "surprise appearances".

Foodwise and weightwise, I've been doing ok....especially considering all the spontaneity of life stuff right now. I continue to notice small Beck behaviors which make a difference in the long run. Sunday I didn't lick the batter. Last night I suggested the salad place for dinner when there were far more interesting venues. I make my smoothie every day. I really "think" before I eat at work. I make an effort to keep healthy food in the house and make meals. The scale was really up this morning yet last week I was at my maintenance weight. Today I'll be careful since tomorrow is our holiday.

My friend who has been in Denver recovering from a heart virus for 6 months goes for her retest on Dec. 7. I am confident she is going to be able to return home. After her diagnosis she was instructed not to change altitude for 6 mos. I am anticipating her returning home and taking over with support for our friend with cancer. Then I'll get a break. Keeping my fingers crossed and will not think of the other option until her results come back. Credit.

Work calls. I need to make my smoothie and I have a food plan for today. Read today's Diet Trap entry. I'm grateful, today, that I have a food plan for life. It makes my choices much easier. Credit.

Take care everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 11-24-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
we went to Chipotles the other night for a quick dinner and wow, their portions are big. I can't imagine eating there for lunch- i guess you could do the salad option, or order from the kids menu. Its tasty food for a treat but they need to rethink that, sometimes you just want something quick and small!

i am off the rest of the week, yay, and have today to myself, double yay. I am trying to plan some things in for the rest of the week so our small family doesn't have too much time together and get on each others nerves! We aren't seeing family this year for the first time so we are trying new things, like going to a potluck for thanksgiving. I am really looking forward to that, it will be nice to be with other people, and i am only bringing drinks and maybe a quick pie.
Onebyone- thanks for that link, that article was very interesting!
Lexiss- glad your mom is okay! that is a lot of driving for you!hope you do indeed get some help for your friend, you are doing so much for so many!
howyoulose- welcome back! nightshift work would be really hard, i imagine you might get hungry at weird times.Glad you are posting, we are all here for you! It is very hard to feel stuck and anxious. I am sending you some hugs right now!

Off to get some groceries, then do some fun browsing, and go to a different library than usual, one of my favorite treats!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #143  
Green Tomatoes

I'd like to do the grocery shopping this morning but I don't have my assignment for Thanksgiving yet. We'll see if it shows up before I have to go.

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +40 920/1200 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

howyoulose: you're always welcome back, here! Weighing every day took some getting used to, but now it's one of my best tools. Getting used to the variability is part of the process. It can help to come here to celebrate the tiny fall and lament the tiny rise, all while noting that neither matters much in the long run. It sounds like you're dealing with a lot. Be patient with yourself. It's probably going to take chipping away at things, building healthy routines, developing helpful practices -- and, then, a tipping point where a lot gets better all at once.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #144  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I find myself starting these notes in the morning when I need a break, but then not having time to finish until later.

My reading list has been fairly light this fall. I just checked out a book called, "The Simplicity Primer" and it's brief thoughts on keeping life simple. Not throwing everything out and donating half your home, but thinking through things to keep life simple. Such as stop gossiping - when it comes back around it weighs on your mind, treat your spouse lovingly and think some thoughts and don't say them (which is something I appreciated reading - I feel put upon when I get in a selfish mode - and think, What? This was left for me to clean up/put away? ... I want to work on that and am making that a resolution NOW for the holiday season and into the new year. Why not me.)

Bill - I thought of you at the market where ours has a sign posted saying that strawberries are in limited supply now and forgive them. I had to smile because years ago who would have THOUGHT of having strawberries in the winter unless they came from your Bell jar.

CurlyJax - I enjoy the treat of Chipotle but I split my chicken burrito bowl into two servings - I ask for a LOT of the pico and lettuce and eyeball it to split it into two 300-cal servings and enjoy it. I DO eat most of the lettuce in the first meal and then add a tiny bit to the rest I've found a recipe for knockoff Chipotle Burrito Bowls and make that more often now but have to be organized to thaw the chicken and have cilantro and lime on hand ... I'm getting better at that. ENJOY your day alone today - I crave that myself.

Welcome back, HowYouLose! Credits for returning! I keep telling myself I'm only failing when I throw in the towel (which does happen now and again). My DH alternates two weeks of nights with two weeks of days and is forever trying to acclimate to a schedule that is basically the opposite of what humans should be doing. Hugs to you - it's HARD to look to leave a job that you have.

Lexxiss - I continue to just be amazed at the oomph you have in life. Thank goodness your mom was okay - that would have worried me no end and I HATE having to get out in the snow/ice, but that would have done it! I'm going to try to get more smoothie action ... Thanks for the reminder.

Maryann - Sounds like a great pecan picking day! Hope you were able to kick back and relax a bit yesterday.

We're hosting DH's folks for Thanksgiving and I do enjoy the cooking and prep, etc. I love setting up the table and will have that done tomorrow evening ... I get too much enjoyment out of that. I cleaned the oven last night and forgot how dang much it STUNK and we ended up opening the damper and the back sliding door to vent the fumes, while it was 25 degrees. Not my shining moment of planning.

OneByOne - KUDOS on the scale reading - what a boost to the mental aspect. You are definitely on your way to wrapping up 2015 lower than ever this year. Thank you for the link to the article. I get heavy in my head thinking, If I get breast cancer, it's my fault for not getting in all the exercise they say helps and for carrying add'l weight. Not just that it happens to some folks and that's how life is.

https://beckdietsolution.wordpress.c...day-diet-tips/ in case everyone doesn't receive this...some other good links off of this ... I might have skipped around on there and saw this, too - common holiday sabotaging thoughts. I need this again.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Packing up to go down to the ranch house for three nights. DH family is coming. Weight is one pound over ticker. I have a plan today. Exercise tomorrow is playing with babies all day.

I feel happier today than I have in a great while. The feeling can be mostly attributed to physically feeling myself again. Although still in PT, the aches are waning. I am sleeping better. Gym workouts are progressing. I have much to be grateful for this holiday. Knee doctor gave me some options. I chose MRI, PT and maybe a shot. He told me to keep exercising which is music to my ears. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't keep getting stronger.

Interestingly, the knee doctor has a son in DS Boyscout Troop. I let him know who I was and he said, "What a blessing that son is to you. He has such presence about him. He speaks so well." I came home blushing with pride. Then I dropped him off at wreath making activities and another mother I hadn't met yet said, "You need to be proud of your son. He puts his head down and works." Even more blessings to be grateful for on Thursday.

NationalParker and HowToLose: Thank you so much for sharing your struggles. I am often tempted to go away from this blog. I call it "Throwing the game board" in frustration.But even though I have regained about ten pounds over the five years I have been heer, I am still ten pounds down total. More importantly, I have a plan, peace with food often, healthy skills that I practice daily, and most importantly hope. Echoing BBE's excerpt today, I don't make changes that I can't keep up forever and therefore don't every totally fail. I lived with being over 200 pounds for years. I never have to know that kind of demoralization again.

Glad we are all here.

Last edited by maryann; 11-24-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #146  

Height: 5' 2"

MaryAnn What great news to hear about your son. Indeed you will have a great Thanksgiving and enjoy those babies.

Welcome back HowYouLose! Actually for me it is "Hello glad to meet you." I'm frustrated at my own behavior but coming here does feel like a fresh start in the right direction.

NationalParker Your book sounds like one I read before I retired and it really caused me to examine my thoughts and behavior. Not diet wise, but otherwise. I still have the book and maybe it is time to read it again with journal in hand.

Debbie Thanksgiving does present problems with so many on different diets. My Grandson is doing our traditional Polish Thanksgiving with family dishes that each of us will take. Son will stuff and roast the Turkey. We'll have plenty of choices so all diets will have something they can eat. Hope all of yours goes well.

Gym day tomorrow and I hope I can discover what I'm doing to make my right shoulder sore. Seems strange that the left shoulder is fine.

Bill your class sounds interesting. Walking under the stars has more meaning now, right?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #147  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up the perpetual sale

Coaches

It's 11:11pm and here I am finally. I went downtown for a potters' meeting that was deemed to be "very important" and it wasn't. Not really. None of the info I had expected was presented so I am still left with asking questions. Oh well. More important, I managed to get there on my own so I am learning the ways of the city and that can only be good.

Foodwise still eating lower carb and that's good. Scale, of course, popped right back up to where it was: 271. Oh well. It did show me that 268. It is lurking. It will be my new normal sooner than later.

Yesterday I did manage to get to my studio finally. I met my printmaking friend there (I'm teaching him and helping him along with his prints mostly so I can have a printmaking buddy. I like that kind of thing.) He helped me clean out the studio space enough so we could work. It was a joy. I so appreciated not thinking about ceramics. Wow.

Thankfully the guild sale is this weekend and then I have only one more sale to get through. In between though I have a bunch of stuff to complete. And I'll do that.

There was snow on the ground this morning and the car needed its windows scraped and the scraper was at my studio. I saw it there on the floor yesterday and forgot to bring it home. I ended up using my foam sandal to scrape the snow and ice from the windows. It worked but that's not really what I wanted to do with the sandals. I wish the temps were warm enough to be wearing them outside. *sigh*

Bye for now. Welcome back Howyoulose. Telling us all about your struggles with weightloss etc., will help you feel better. And you know, we've all been there, so we're not judgey. We come here to find solutions that work for us as individuals by sharing what works (and what doesn't) and to lighten our load. The more the merrier.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:57 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – We unwrapped the turkey, placed it in the brine, and squeezed the pot into the basement refrigerator. DW made the cornbread for the cornbread stuffing. I went to the supermarket for last minute items where I found frantic shoppers. We're on the way. The guest list remains at either 8 or 10 for appetizers and either six or eight for dinner - one couple is waiting for a definitive response from their family. We are prepared either way.

Walked, CREDIT moi, where I bumped into a friend so I caught up with some news. Discovered a store going out of business with 20% off everything - just enough to make me stop and browse but not enough to tease me into buying.

onebyone – Neat that teaching print making will give you a companion. Yay for continued low carbs in your diet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch that a late assignment of your Thanksgiving food contribution might require you to shop today; it was a zoo yesterday and might be even worse today.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Finding your "missing" mom is a heart stopper - what a story. Getting up early enough to be at work at 6:30 a.m. after a 2.5 hour drive is, indeed, EARLY. I've never heard of "instructed not to change altitude for 6 mos."

maryann - Kudos for so graciously accepting the compliments about your DS. Yay for playing with babies for exercise.

nationalparker – Simplicity is such a good topic in preparation for the holidays. Thanks for the pointer to holiday Sabotaging Thoughts - my brain is so capable of turning off as if my body doesn't respond to food on holidays.

curlyjax - Kudos for working to find a way around Chipotles' large portions.

Sandy (love2garden) - Good luck figuring out why your right shoulder is sore and the left isn't. Yep, everything I learn about the universe makes me more in awe as I look up at night.

howyoulose - March forward with head help high. Super Kudos for posting here when it's tough to do so. Yep, night shift does flip around our natural normal cycles - so you've got a challenge to face there. Buying fresh foods is a superb good start in the direction of taking control. We're on your side.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #9: Adopt (and adapt) an eating plan you can follow for life.

Make sure your eating plan is flexible. You can't always control the food that's available, especially if you're not eating at home. So you need an eating plan that will allow you to eat reasonable portions of whatever is served.

In the evening, write down what you intend to eat the next day (or write it down each morning for the current day). Record what, how much, and when you'll eat. Then, as you go through your day, check off what you've eaten and write in capital letters anything you ate that you weren't supposed to so you can honestly face your mistakes and figure out what you need to do differently next time.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 40

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-25-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: New => Full Moon
Old 11-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #149  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just finished reading my cards, food has been okay and yesterday was strength training class, credit. This morning I'm taking a friend to the airport and then heading out for a 10 mile hike. I'm trying to burn a few extra calories to make up for those few extra calories I will likely take in.

Thanksgiving will be just four of us and we've all agreed to keep it light. No stuffing and no dessert. Friday we have a bigger family dinner with lasagna and cake to celebrate a couple of birthdays. I hope to get out for hikes on Thursday and Friday too. I will consider it a success to get thru the first holiday without a weight gain.

Bill Have you brined the turkey before? I haven't done that and wonder how it would be.

I just realized I don't have much time before I need to head out the door and I'm not ready. Will post more personals later today.

Karen
Old 11-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 178/172/100

Height: 4'11

Lexxiss - Thanks so much, it feels good to be back somewhere supporting vs. an unhealthy environment.

curlyjax - Thank you so much! It is actually pretty terrible. it wasn't so bad at first because I'm a night owl by nature but not only am I hungry at odd times, I'm hungry for what feels like the wrong meal. I always want dinner at 7am. :S

gardenerjoy - waiting ever so patiently for that tipping point. thank you. I do remember looking forward to the weigh-ins at some point. hopefully that will come back.

nationalparker - thank you! that actually means a lot considering I don't get very much credit for anything I try.

maryann - congratulations on feeling happier and thank you as well. i feel like the short time i was here before kept me a little more on track than usual and I plan on sticking around longer this time.

love2garden - I truly appreciate that. having somewhere non-judgey, when coming from someone with a mother as judgey as mine (i'm sure a few of you know about this) truly means a lot.

BillBlueEyes - thank you thank you thank you. one step at a time in the right direction.

everyone keep your fingers crossed for me today. I'm off (second day in a row for the first time in three months) and I'm spending the day at my mother's house. One of the first things she said to me was about how my clothes don't fit (everything is too tight) and my rolls. I don't know what I'm going to do about her somedays.
Closed Thread