Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #76  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Took the afternoon off to spend time with DH before he starts back on nights tomorrow ... we spent the time on our Halloween pumpkins. Fun! They turned out well. I said we'll start a new tradition - do this each autumn ... and then I decided to top it with, and next year we can have hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls! Ignoring the fact that it was an incredibly messy project. DH thinks we need another one for our porch, so that might get done this weekend. I don't want to end up doing one myself - have other plans for different project.

Will take a hot bath tonight and get good sleep. I am already looking forward to the weekend and have only worked 1.5 days so far this week.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #77  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Chuck Yeager breaks sound barrier (1947)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to inspect two building being renovated. Both are commercial properties designed to make our area more densely populated. I have mixed feelings. Halloween decorations were prominent on many houses.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including poached salmon for dinner. DW wanted a change from our beloved grilled salmon. The choices for sustainable, low Mercury fish are few. Salmon wins nearly every week.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Eating lightly during "frazzled and unsettled" is Kudos worthy.

Erika (eusebius) – Thanks for bringing Pema Chφdrφn back to this forum. Kudos for active steps to get back on your path.

nationalparker – Yay for Halloween pumpkins.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #1: Create an advantages list to motivate yourself every day.

Make a list of all the advantages of weight loss. Maybe you'll have ten or fifteen that are highly compelling. If you would like, write each advantage on a separate card. Read the advantages every morning. Pull out the list (or the cards) as needed to boost your motivation throughout the day.

Important: do not just rely on trying to remember what's on the list. You undoubtedly wouldn't be focusing on these important reasons when you get a strong craving. We've found that repeatedly reading the reasons why you want to lose weight allows you to really reflect on each one and plants them securely in your brain. Just thinking about them is not enough. So make sure you read them!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 26
Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi everyone!
sorry i'm so late replying. the weekend slipped by, then i was going to post at work yesterday and my computer...finally bit the dust i think. Strangely enough, both times i got on this website is when it stopped working, the second time for good! I guess its a sign i shouldn't be doing non-work things at work! I can use another one in a different office occasionally until my new one arrives, hopefully soon.
Went apple picking over the weekend-wow, i forget how great fresh tasting apples are! And how amazing a pie they make! A little is okay but I will have to keep from over doing it (the oven is currently working- for now!)

Thanks again for all the kind words, I feel better reading them.
Gardenerjoy- i wish I did live in your suburb! you put it exactly right. i think being an introvert does make it harder. I am enjoying reading about your trip preparations!
Maryann- i echo your sentiments about feeling and being healthy being the most important thing. I like the idea of involving a higher power along the way (for friendship)
Nationalparker- sorry you had a bad experience a few days ago. People can indeed be jerks. It is really hard to get hurtful things out of ones mind.
I forgot you grew up elsewhere- no wonder you like to travel!
Lexiss-hope your dog is doing okay now! What those naughty pups get into!

Waving to everyone else. Happy hump day!

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-14-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #79  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Well, last night was a bust. That's my pattern - I do great during the day and then I'm exhausted at night and instead of relaxing and doing fun things ... or going to bed ... I eat.

In a miracle, the scale didn't show a change this morning, so I declare a false start and I'm going on today. And tonight perhaps I'll post again, and I'll definitely watch a Pema talk ...
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #80  
Green Tomatoes

Unexpected errands with unexpected glitches led to unplanned eating. Sigh. I expect today to go better -- helped by making a big batch of salad yesterday so that I can eat it the rest of the week, CREDIT!

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 515/880 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 10-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #81  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I took my friend to the airport this morning and I've given myself the day to regroup before getting back to being a little more productive tomorrow. I did meet my goal of maintaining my weight while my friend was here and I bet she lost weight. I was actually kind of surprised to see what I could eat and still maintain. I was getting pretty good exercise though. Mainly I wasn't eating the same as I do when I don't have company. Just got back from the market with more fruits and veggies to get back to a healthier diet. We did a couple of things every day and kept pretty busy. She is not fit so we couldn't do the kind of hiking I'm used to, so I went early alone a couple of days. Most days we walked or did an easier hike so she could get her exercise too.

I'll get back to personals tomorrow. I have been reading, so I know what you all have been up to.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #82  

Height: 5' 2"

Karen So you know what we've been up to? Sounds interesting.
Glad you enjoyed your friend's visit. Shopping for colorful veggies and fruit is always a treat for eyes and for taste and health.

Rejoined the gym and am pleased that I could increase weight on some machines and the number of reps on others. Afterwards to Massage!!! so the soreness I feel could be from either or both. Know the blood was flowing well and breathing better than normal for October.

Sandy
Old 10-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #83  
Enjoying la bella vita

Good day, coaches! Feels good to pass the mid-work-week mark. MWWM? Seems like everything is an acronym nowadays, did I miss that one?

Went with breakfast for dinner tonight - DH was working and sometimes eggs just seem to satisfy me and mentally, there is no "dessert" after breakfast, so I am much less tempted to look in the pantry for something else. Making turkey/hot chili bean chili for other evenings this week and aim to freeze some. I feel like just vegging tonight, no dishes, no laundry, no cleaning. Think I'm taking the night off.

Shipped a box off to the best friends of my parents with some things i know they'll enjoy/treasure. Hard to part with two of them for her but better for someone to enjoy something than just me to hold onto it. My mom used to tat and crochet and she did gorgeous handkerchiefs after years of doing doilies through the 50s. I have a few of her hankies and picked a beautiful one she did for her friend. I'm sure she made her some through the years, but now she'll have another, and one of mom's teacups/saucers. They used to go back and forth to each other's homes for a cup of tea. Not sure why I went into all that, but I've really been thinking about what I keep and what I find a new home for lately. makes me very conscious of what I'll spend money on.

Issues continue with DH's eldest daughter - not sure what to believe on the reports from her sister on suspected drug use. It's so hard when you're lied to so much, to try to decipher what is true and what is a lie. If true, it's alarming but I fear she's on a downward spiral and is in/out of hospital. I can only hope that something resonates with her soon.

CurlyJax - Enjoy some of that apple pie for me! Sounds wonderful. I bought a bunch of apples and plan to make some apple crisp this weekend...have cute individual small bakers that I wanted to test out; portion control baked in. But I want to figure out the approx calories on those individual ones first. At these times I wish I worked hard physically normally so eating these treats was not out of line.

Bill - Do you add to the Halloween decorations in your area? I'd like to do more for this holiday outside since DH really does enjoy it. Our carved pumpkins are in the front window and walkers going by this evening checked them out. I wish I liked fish for the health benefits.

Eusebius - Good to check in. No limit on Day Ones. If so, I'd have been booted off here. I'm struggling to merely maintain at this point. Scale is up a few pounds but know it's normal for me right now, but still startling and worrisome.

Karen - Credits for figuring out how to get add'l activity going out early in the morning as well as going with your friend. I'm sure she really appreciated that you still went with her. Just once I'd love DH to suggest we go for a walk and not always originate with me. I don't want to go sometimes and would like to be coaxed into it. ha ha

Love2Garden - Kudos for rejoining the gym - hope that massage was a wonderful treat!

Joy - Hope today was an OP day for you - good plan to make extra salad to help with choices today.

For some reason, I'm just tired the past two days. Wonder if it's the weather change, my taking allergy meds or just my tired old body...

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-14-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Gregorian Calendar Adopted (1582)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to an evening lecture about ancient music that went right over my head. What was I thinking. I'm glad that culture evolved so many centuries ago in the ancient world and that the instruments are captured in stone carvings in Greek temples, but I should resign myself to listening to music not to trying to fathom its history. Oh Well.

Food was OKish - only OKish because of snacks because I had to contact Comcast because the TV portion of their service isn't working. They do make it an unpleasant experience. In the olden days, I could bring in the TV box and swap it out. Easy peasy! Today, I had to go through a series of diagnostic steps dictated by a high pitched India-English speaking functionary who didn't understand the process - just how to read the steps. We finally reached the stage where the technician will come out.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for salad to fight "Unexpected ... unexpected ... unplanned."

Erika (eusebius) – And today is a new day to charge forth.

nationalparker – Neat that "breakfast" for "dinner" solves the dessert problem. Sending supportive thoughts for dealing with your SDD - it's a challenge to fight the kind of stuff available on the streets of today. [We add pumpkins to our front steps for Halloween decorations; we both like the uncarved look.]

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds like a good visit. Kudos for fruits and veggies from the market.

curlyjax - Ouch for a dead computer. Hopefully the IT team at your work fixes it for you. Yay for apple season.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for rejoining the gym.

Readers -
Quote:

Foundation Strategy #1: Create an advantages list to motivate yourself every day.
Jessica's Advantages List
  1. I'll be more confident speaking to my boss and department heads.
  2. I'll be able to wear my old clothes again, especially shorts and skirts.
  3. I'll start wearing colors again, not just black, and I'll enjoy shopping for clothes like I used to.
  4. I'll be able to walk up steps without getting winded.
  5. I'll enjoy dancing at parties and weddings.
  6. I'll do more activities, like kayaking and hiking, with Josh.
  7. I'll avoid developing diabetes.
  8. I'll feel proud of myself.
  9. I won't be at the mercy of cravings and negative emotions.
  10. I'll feel good about looking in the mirror and having photographs taken.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 27
Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #85  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Okay, eating is starting to be under control. Started watching my Pema lecture last night ... didn't finish as I nearly fell asleep, so I'm trying again this morning. I have a food plan written out for today and I will stick to it! Simply protein bars are saving me ... 4 points and 15 grams of protein, and no unpronounceable ingredients. Great for my crazy days.

Bill - My eyes would glaze over too in a lecture on ancient Greek music. We really don't know anything about it ... it's all conjecture. (And I agree, listening is more fun anyway )
Old 10-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #86  
Green Tomatoes

I set myself up to make a really bad choice but, at the last minute, I made a reasonable one. CREDIT! And, CREDIT for knowing exactly what the best choice in that circumstance was so that I could make it quickly and easily. And, CREDIT for giving myself tons of credit in the moment, even though it felt ridiculous. I know from experience that it helps. That contributed to a light eating day which is what I wanted.

CREDIT for writing a full food plan for today.

WI: -0.15 kg, Exercise: +40 555/880 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 10-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #87  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Did my Bell Pass hike this morning and food is planned, credit. It feels good to get back to my routine. I'm listening to an audiobook called "Twenty years younger" or something like that by Bob Greene (who at one time was Oprah's trainer). It focuses on exercise, diet, sleep and skin care. I'm in the second section now. It is mostly just reiterating what we all know. He does reference experts in the field regarding health issues, so it is evidenced based, which is my preference. I told dh that I'm going to incorporate some of the ideas into menu plans (which won't delight him). He is not crazy about fish and I'm going to use this as a good reason to serve it once a week. Also we need to add some new veggies and increase that section of the dinner plate.

BBE I think listening to music is about my limit too. When my friend was here we went to the Musical Instrument Museum which is one of the highest rated things to do in the valley. It's a beautiful museum with so many instruments from all over the world. We wear headsets as we go thru and via blue tooth hear the video/audio for each exhibit. It's a must do for anyone who comes this way.

Nationalparker What a nice gesture to send a box of treasures to your parents friends. I'm sure they will be very touched. It's taken me awhile to part with things from my parents, but I am lately.

Sandy Yes, glad to hear you rejoined the gym. We seem to have to use the gym for exercise at different times of the year. I do need to get back there for some strength training, my total downfall. Besides the Musical Instrument Museum we saw the Heard Museum (a Native American museum), saw the movie "The Martian", took a southwest cooking class and a few other things. It was fun but I actually took a nap yesterday after she left.

Curlyjax I hear you about not having enough women friends. I have quite a few, but so many of them don't live here. Also a couple of my friends who live here also have another home where they go half the year or more. Others travel a lot. I need to get a few things added into my schedule (especially cause I'm retired). Basically what I'm saying is there is little routine here.

Waving to the rest of you and more tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #88  
Enjoying la bella vita

Default I Love Lucy premiered in 1951

Focused on eating only when hungry today. Made me more aware of turning to my desk drawer for a 100-cal pack of almonds that I wanted earlier because of aggravation. Skipped it. Walked before a two-hour meeting over lunch at work that ended up being very short so I went for another brief walk outside afterward. 10K+ steps today. Credit.

I'm in the mood to just shut things down early and get extra sleep this week. I'm not sure why, but I'm also going along with it. Hot bath, some reading, and spending time with the pets. Time to journal, think, plan next week's meals and not be in a rush on the weekend to decide and just wing it.

That advantages list in today's Beck excerpt looks very similar to mine. Reassuring.

Joy - YAY for making a good decision when it would, truly, have been so easy to just roll along to a bad one. Strong commitment there and a good example for me!

Karen - May I ask how long you've lived in Arizona, after moving from Washington? It seems like you've done a great job developing friendships there. I semi-worry about when DH and I retire and most likely move south ... but DH seems completely fine with us spending our time with each other and not branching out much.

Bill - I do NOT envy you your Comcast dealings. I feel so disconnected to DH's daughters - they behave in ways, both in actions and verbally, that would have had me picking my teeth up off the driveway if I had even THOUGHT about doing/saying those things.

CurlyJax - Good luck with the computer situation. Do you have fun plans for the weekend, big or small? Are you expecting good weather and can get out in the sunshine for some add'l Vitamin D as the days get shorter? The farmer next to us has been combining and so I've not been outside much at home, as the dust is flying heavily.

OneByOne - Thinking of you today and hoping you're having a good day. I've been thinking of your last post with the news on the decline of your father and how that opens such a huge pandora's box for your emotions. Know you have a lot of folks here who are thinking of you.

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-15-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:56 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Default Friday - Queen Marie Antoinette beheaded (1793)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was very late, but on-plan, CREDIT moi. DW and I had gone out; then she went to a friend's house while I went home and . . . forgot to eat because I was caught up doing something. Interesting, if it gets past dinner time, my 'hunger' is no longer there to prod me.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to my class happy to be wearing a light jacket. DW reminds me to lower the storm windows. She's taking this "end of summer" thing seriously. Comcast came, as scheduled; the tech took one look at the box displaying "- - - - -"; said "She's dead"; replaced it; and left. It took less time then it had taken me to convince them that they had to come out. Problem: The tech left the old remote - "so you'll have a spare." It joins a stack of remotes that either: work, don't work, need batteries, or belong to equipment long gone. DW will not be amused.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Kudos indeed for giving yourself credit even if it feels "ridiculous."

Erika (eusebius) – Yay for "no unpronounceable ingredients."

nationalparker – Super Kudos for avoiding a snack due to aggravation instead of hunger.

Karen (karenrn) - New veggies cooked in new ways is a great way to drift away from problem foods. I like to suggest a trip to a vegetarian restaurant for new ideas.

Readers -
Quote:

Here are some ideas to keep the advantages fresh: Shuffle the deck from time to time. Rearrange the deck so the ones that feel most significant to you that day are on top. Visualize, in detail, achieving each advantage and how good you'll feel. Enter the list on your personal electronic device. Set pop-ups on your computer or phone throughout the day with a different reason each time.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 27
Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
I'm determined to post early today so here i am!
After a day and a half of being unplugged, my computer at work started up like nothing had ever happened. Strange how a few machines in my life are doing this- maybe just like humans they need a break occasionally! Whatever the reason, I am grateful!!
Working on maintaining at this point-which is a challenge with the lure of fall baking. I need to get back to a good plan! Credits for getting long walks in, and making my salads for lunch.

I am currently reading Strength in the Storm by Easwaran and enjoying it- again a book about quieting the mind, this time with mantras.

Bill- we have the same problem of leftover equipment bits. Cables in particular seem to multiply. Or strange pieces of things that I don't want to throw out, in case its something necessary, even though i can't identify what it is!
Gardenerjoy- sounds like you got yourself back on track quickly, good job!
Karenrn- I used to dislike fish too. Can you cover up the taste in a casserole, which spices and tomatoes etc? I find shrimp less fishy tasting, and I love scallops!
Nationalparker-I will definitely get outside this weekend, good idea! There are a lot of fall fairs going on that are fun to wander around this time of year, as long as I don't get sucked into the food! My DH is the same, he doesn't seem to need other people that much. He enjoys their company but doesn't think about the social planning piece!
Happy Friday!

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-16-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Closed Thread