Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - UN Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjold killed in Congo (1961)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the first class of the fall. I take some adult courses through the winter joyfully trying to fill in the gaps in my education. I find, of course, that it's not just the gaps, but that the information is growing faster than I keep up. There's new stuff about mysterious objects in space and neuroscience that happens faster than I can read.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, with snacks larger than I needed. I had to water our community garden before dinner because it now gets dark as we sit on the patio. In the summer, we could dawdle over dinner, clear away the dishes, and then I could leisurely walk to the garden to give the thirsty guys some water.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good strategy, "focus on the veggies." The latest issue of Nutrition Action News Letter contained a long interview with Dr. Walter C. Willett of Harvard who reminded me that red meat contributes to many diseases and is grown with serious environmental cost.

nationalparker – Thanks for the comments about that book; think I'll pass. Love the thought of seeing South Pacific - some of my favorite songs. Kudos for having a plan for your evening.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 Are You Trapped?

The Power of Your Mind

But imagine what could happen if you had prepared for this moment by regularly and repeatedly reading these "reminder cards" to change your thinking: . . .
Eating unplanned food only strengthens my
"giving-in muscle," making it more likely that the
next time I want to eat something unplanned, I'll
give in then, too. Every time I don't give in, I'm
strengthening my "resistance muscle," making it
easier to stay strong next time.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 13
Old 09-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

I never made a full plan yesterday. My eating at the book club potluck went fine, but a plan for the rest of the day would have helped! CREDIT for writing a plan for today. CREDIT for scheduling to run errands this morning -- I find it much easier to avoid foraging for treats in the morning than I do in the afternoon.

The book club meeting went well and we have a full schedule for the next year, complete with a different person to lead each month's discussion!

WI: +0.5 kg, Exercise: +40 695/1300 minutes for September, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

I'm going to be the one person in this forum to ask about scales. I donated my old one since a tinkerer would have to fix it or someone could use it who didn't really want a weight every time they stepped on it, but sent it off with a new battery. And now I'm using my parents' old scale. Which is a rememberer. It immediately reverts back to the previous weight it showed. No question, no fluctuation until it settled, just immediate this is what it is. Even if I take off jeans and fleece and socks, etc., or if i've just eaten or have recently drank a lot of water, so it's not good. Do you have one to recommend that's not super $$? I know it'll bug DH if I spend $$ on one when we HAVE one and honestly, I will know from my clothes if I'm going up or down, but I want the pat on the back or rap on the knuckles from a true regular weigh in. I got aggravated this morning and held onto the wall. Same weight. Pushed up on the towel bar to add weight. Took a bit for it to change. This is just wonky. And yep, I do step on it partially to "clear" it, etc. Enough of that nonsense.

Met my goal last night of skipping bread, despite DH telling me they'd just put out fresh ... did I want a roll? He chose one and then offered me half. Nope. I also ordered the lightest option they had for dessert, even though it was a couple of dollars more - choc mousse. I ate a little more than half and he had a few bites and we left the rest (he had a diff dessert). Theatre performance was thoroughly enjoyable to me. Not DH's cup of tea. He was a bit fidgety.

Donut Friday and I didn't care in the least - bc I've had mine for the season! No Choice. Ran a few errands at lunch and stopped at Panera and got salad for lunch treat. DID, however, use my free birthday pastry and got an apple scone for us to split this evening, warmed up.

Will work up my meal plan for the weekend. Had been ALL hiked up to present DH with a great surprise of SAILING LESSONS! He is on a sailboat kick like you've never seen and I just finally had to make him promise to not jump on anything until we fully discuss. We've not saved up for it, etc. Anyway, through conversations with a fellow volunteer at the school, I learned a lot about options near us, and today called to sign us up for next weekend, two full days of lessons south of us. They're FULL! WHAT!?! How about the last class in early October? Oh, they've just removed that from the schedule. Not meant to be. So we'll put it on the calendar for next June and see ... unfortunately in my haste to assemble a really cool surprise gift package, I bought the text they use for a gift for him. SO we'll enjoy that early He keeps saying, "I just think it'd be nice for us to have a boat to sail around in when we retire, take off for a month at a time; we can even sail down to the Bahamas." I said, "Well if that's the plan, that's more than what I'm interested in, honestly. ... I was thinking more just relaxing sailing on a lake, anchoring in a cove, or going up the ICW."

We'll see how this shakes out in time. I don't want to be on a boat for a month. I love my pets too much. And I don't want to live without pets.

Bill - You're living my dream retired life - time for community gardening, living the good life, AND taking classes. I would love to take art appreciation classes (if I didn't have to take tests) as well as language classes. Does your wife take different ones? If you don't mind sharing, what subject matter are you learning this session?

Joy - Your day yesterday sounds like a day perfect for both mind and spirit! Does everyone come armed with a few they'd like to include or is there a listing from which books are selected?

Dinner might be Ruby Tuesday tonight. I have a coupon for a free burger and since I don't buy/cook beef, I asked DH if he wanted to go and get salad bars and he could get this and I'll choose something light. He often splits his burgers in half to eat some now and hold the rest for lunch. Not sure if we're on for that and the movie Everest. For some reason, we're catching a few first run movies with coupons here lately, instead of waiting for DVDs. This would mesh well as next week we're going to a presentation by a doctor who was at Everest Base Camp when the earthquake went through in April.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #109  

Hello Coaches,

Well, BillBB, "this" close is all I am ever going to be, lol, to having total self control. I am human, after all, and will always have the struggle. Even if it does appear to me that others don't actually have to struggle.

After a stressful week of work and meetings I had to run to the store and felt like a cavewoman seeking out dinner. It is probably a good thing my DS has celiac disease because there is a lot of food I pass over just because it contains gluten and I can't have it in the house. Which begs the questions - if I don't eat things that are bad for him, just because they are bad for him - why don't I do the same for myself?

Long story short, breakfast and lunches this week for fantastic and OP - CREDIT. Dinners - not so much.

CREDIT - exercise and strength training.

FINALLY had a good night's rest.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. The weather has turned hot and humid again here. Last weekend was just a tease......
Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #110  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - New Zealand first in women’s vote (1893)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, with larger snacks. Continue to be annoyed over these larger snacks that happen when I'm distracted. Dinner was all cold stuff as we pretend that it's still summer. I do love deviled eggs.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library because my turn has arrived for The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz (not Stieg Larsson). I have mixed feelings of betrayal since the book was commissioned by Larsson's father and brother and not by his longtime companion and co-conspirator. The librarian assured me that it was morally acceptable for me to read the book since Larsson had written the outline for it before he died. I pondered why I needed moral assurance for my reading, but it had, in fact, made me feel better. Perhaps I'm the only person using his librarian as spiritual advisor, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for rational eating at the book club. How often do you meet?

nationalparker – My take is that a reliable scale is crucial for monitoring weight. It isn't really necessary to track weight with a scale, but when one does it messes with the mind to get a random reading. Real scale readings have enough variation to keep one humble; scale induced randomness is never good for me. I don't have a recommendation, but we've never spend much on a scale. Kudos for standing down Donut Friday. [I'm taking Semantics, Astronomy, and Earthquakes. Semantics because I'm fully ignorant, the other two because I'm behind.]

SuzLen - What an insightful question, "if I don't eat things that are bad for him, just because they are bad for him - why don't I do the same for myself?" Wish I could answer that one for myself.

Readers -
Quote:

The Power of Your Mind

Once you learn how to firmly respond to your sabotaging tinking, losing weight will become progressively easier. You'll remember to say to yourself, "Eating this extra food matters! Every time matters!" And you'll build up your confidence that you can resist traps and succeed in following your plan. By changing how you think, you can also change how you feel and what you do. You have the power to change your thoughts - and changing those thought truly can change your life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 13
Old 09-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #111  

Good morning, all

Checking in early to mark it off my list of "to-do"s. I have exercised, balanced the budget, and checked in here....all before breakfast. I will, no doubt, need a small nap today

Let us know how you enjoyed the book, BillBB. I haven't read the series yet. I fear they will be too gritty for me. I had to stop reading "Gone Girl" because the characters were just so mean and ugly and the language was awful. I didn't find much redeeming in the book. I had to stop reading "Game of Throne" series for the same reason. When the good guys were all killed off, I was done

I'm off to choose a wise breakfast and get some work down around the house.

Have a great weekend!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #112  

Height: 5' 2"

Bill
Quote:
I take some adult courses through the winter joyfully trying to fill in the gaps in my education. I find, of course, that it's not just the gaps, but that the information is growing faster than I keep up. There's new stuff about mysterious objects in space and neuroscience that happens faster than I can read.
I envy you the opportunity. We have some here, but the best classes are a distance away that I'd be uncomfortable going by myself, and I know no one interested in the ones I'd love to take.

Suzlen I certainly agree with you that some books and movies, too, are depressing and serve no purpose in my life. also, when you explain that you keep certain foods out of the house for you r son, but won't do it for yourself, I also recognize my own actions. Wonder if we'll live long enough to begin to be kind to ourselves, too.

National Parker We like Weight Watchers scale that is stylish, clear top, accurate, and works for us. We've had it a few years and it is still going strong with new battery every now and then.

Coupons can make some decisions easy. I took one to my favorite clothing store with one item in mind. I found it with the 25% off and now own a beautiful black semi-dressy jacket that looks like leather but is polypropylene. Wind resistant, yet comfortable and didn't break the bank.

Bill Earthquakes would be so interesting as a class, but not to experience. Also, I love Geology and can't get enough information about it historically and physically. Outer space? Wow, PBS Nova, Science Channel, and one other has really had fascinating programs that held me to the chair.

GardenJoy Your book club having a different facilitator each month would make it appealing to me. Last one I went to, the monologue from the facilitator made the evenings monotonous. I haven't been back to another.

Our drought is more severe that usual for this time of year in middle eastern states. Huge cracks opened in parts of the garden that is not covered with plants. I water all except the grass. Don't like idea of the evaporation with sprinklers and water by hand each plant. Good time to think or pray., too.

May this be a good weekend for each of you. Sandy

Last edited by love2garden; 09-19-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #113  
Green Tomatoes

I saw a sign while running errands yesterday morning outside a cupcake shop: There is no problem that can’t be fixed with a cupcake. Of course, I knew better. Obesity can’t be fixed with a cupcake. Compulsive overeating can’t be fixed with a cupcake. Both of those things are made worse by cupcakes and the ubiquity of such sentiments. But then, it seems like I spent the next 24 hours looking for ways to fix problems with food. So, not as smart as I thought I was.

I think that I really hoped I would lose weight and get to the point where I could use a cupcake to fix a problem without causing more problems. I hoped that would be “maintenance” for me. Society -- including posts on Facebook and advertisements – tell me that this is reasonable. Maybe it’s even true for some people. But I have to accept that it’s not true for me and never will be. I can, maybe, carefully box in a certain situation so that I can have a cupcake. But I can never spontaneously decide that a cupcake will fix a problem because that just leads to obsession and compulsion with food. It’s one of several things that I wish were true but simply isn’t in my life.

New response card:

Quote:
I can't solve my problems with food. I wish I could. Advertisements say it is so. But that doesn't work for me.
I solve problems with journal entries and posts on 3FC and by talking things over with DH.
WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +30 725/1300 minutes for September, Food: 40% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: At our book club's annual selection meeting, everyone comes with books to recommend and we all come prepared to defend our choices. But, of course, we're book people, so the books that others bring sound good, too! The books all end up in the middle of the table while we go through a multiple ballot process to make our decisions. We chose 10 books out of the 41 that were proposed.

BillBlueEyes: Our book club meets the third Thursday of the month -- except for the weirdness in November and December when we meet the first Thursday in December to avoid the holidays. With that combined meeting and the September meeting taken over by our book selection process, we read 10 books a year. That took a few years to develop. We used to skip a few other months, here and there, for spring break or a summer vacation. But, the last few years we had too many books we wanted to read, so we settled on this schedule. We've been meeting since the summer of 2008 -- we've now read 64 books together! Given that we specialize in books on race in America, this feels like a super achievement. I listed them all on my blog last week: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2015/09/...ddiversebooks/

love2garden: We wouldn't put up with a monologue in our book club. In fact, facilitating doesn't usually involve much except having one good question to get the discussion started. After that, it tends to run itself.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-19-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #114  

S/C/G: ?/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Just a quick note to say I am still alive and well. My backpacking trip on the Wonderland Trail was the hardest thing I've ever done. It poured rain the night we all met and camped out prior to leaving on the hike the next morning. The first 3 days we had snow during at least a part of the day. Luckily we stayed in 3 sided wooden structures at both Indian Bar and Summerland. We didn't see Mt. Rainier for the first half of the hike ( 5 days) even though we were hiking around it. I had to tell myself it was a lesson in perseverance. Even though friends offered to drive up and get me, there was no cell service to let them know . . . . and I really wanted to complete the trip. It's been 8 days since that and I had a 6 days girls trip with a friend from Seattle and 2 that flew in from MN. Now I'm in Eastern Washington for our niece's wedding and we will be heading for home tomorrow. I'll get back to my routine at that time and read up on posts and see what's going on with all of you.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:38 PM   #115  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Good day today for accomplishing things around the house and garden. A good feeling. We finally got the front garden emptied of the dang prairie grass that had taken hold. Finally have a vision of what I can do to make it more attractive. A little bit, anyway. We'll see.

Dinner at our little woodfired pizza spot with gread salads after the gardening. Ate reasonable portion, but wanted and could have eaten much more...but we have lunch for tomorrow. We bundled up a little and decided to eat outside under the stars. DH and I had a good talk, too, covering upcoming trips, plans for the future, and his concern that I spend way too much time worrying about my weight. Ahh well.

Credit for not eating all I wanted to at dinner, but having trouble thinking of more good moves today... Aiming for personals in the morning. Sorry so brief.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #116  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs (1973)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Saw the Lily Tomlin movie Grandma last night. I liked it more than did DW who didn't find much depth in the Tomlin character. I always like feisty and wrinkled feisty is just the best. Recommended only if you're bored and can't find a book to read, though. The only thought to take from it is that family matters.

Bird walk in the morning, CREDIT moi, in great fall weather. The sun wasn't out to wake up the bugs to attract so many birds, but we had fun.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for "Obesity can’t be fixed with a cupcake." [That's a neat book club. Catches me by surprise that you've read 64 books on race in America and still have more to go.]

nationalparker – Super Kudos for "could have eaten much more" - it's always good for me to be reminded that I'm not looking for the signal 'stuffed beyond hope.'

Karen (karenrn) - Mega Congrats for your perseverance sticking with that backpacking trip despite foul weather. Taking five days for Mount Rainier to become visible blows my mind.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for watering each plant individually. We're watching large swaths of our favorite places browning out. Rain is getting to be rare around here.

SuzLen - That's a lot accomplished before breakfast.

Readers -
Quote:

Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Brain

Even if you've been thinking in unhelpful ways for many years, you will practice your new ways of thinking and behaving until they become almost automatic. The approach is straightforward and powerful.

Recent research in neuroscience has demonstrated the changes that CBT brings about in your brain. When you think in a certain way for a long time, your brain become more and more efficient at thinking that way. You can drive your car, catch the subway or bus, or brush your teeth practically on autopilot, right? You may not even be aware of the automatic thoughts preceding behaviors that seem to just happen without any intentional action from you.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #117  

Height: 5' 2"

Good Morning to all, and indeed this cool but sunny day is such a delight.

We went to the earliest Mass and have RX and Groceries put away, only noon and we have lots of today left.

Karen So glad you checked in and are OK. What a summer you are having.

NationalParker Funny that my DH also says I'm too anxious about my weight, and heavy traffic, and the budget, and . . . I seem to be too aware of what COULD happen.

Automatic thoughts? Some are wonderful, how would we ever drive without them, but some of those thoughts are certainly causing me problems. I made a list of a few that I've changed and celebrated the accomplishment.

Reading Gail Sheehy's PASSAGES in CAREGIVING Turning Chaos into Confidence Only to page 30, but recognize the value in this library book and shall buy it at BOM when I go Wednesday.

I've done so much care giving in the past but was also younger and had more energy. Now with our advanced ages, caregiving is in our future, and the sooner I'm better prepared the better.

Gail Sheehy has written so many wise books, and I have some of them. They are worth purchasing.

Sandy
Old 09-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
I had a big chunk of the day to myself and i feel like i kind of wasted it, looking for something to do, but not wanting to do any work, and i couldn't find anyone to "play" with. Ah well, sometimes its nice to just have quiet downtime with no demands. I ended up noshing on cheese and crackers for dinner friday night since i din't have to cook, and kind of snacked on them the next day. hopefully since I didn't eat formal meals it all balances out! And I do like to change it up once in awhile.

Nationalparker- I just use a cheapie scale from target so i have no help, but it seems to do the job. It is hard to see though at times- next time i would pick one that has better lighting of the numbers.
Bill- I have always enjoyed Lily Tomlin! Bring on the feisty!
Gardenerjoy- Cupcakes will definitely never solve a problem! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this.
Suzlen- I'm with you, I don't read or watch certain things that are too dark/depressing. I can see something like Hotel Rwanda and that was hard to watch but worth watching, but some "entertainment" these days is just for shock. The real world has enough awful things going on, I limit my exposure all around.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 173/162/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I struggle to find a balance between work, friends, family, charity work, church work. I am completely emotionally exhausted from the week. I ran on empty and fueled the tank with too much food. This was not ok. I was very successful with all endeavors but at what price? There is beauty in balance. My particular gifts require a great deal of emotional commitment and a long refueling period especially since the populations I work with are in such need. Solutions are rare. I often say I work in the cancer ward when others volunteer in podiatry. Both are needed but the goals, the experiences, and the emotional weight are completely different.

I reread what I just wrote and realize it is coming from a feeling of not being enough. God doesn't want me to come from this place yet I feel guilty when I don't give things my all. It is always so tempting to use the temporary fix of food instead of relying on a healthy long term plan.

Brief details of the week:

Teaching catechism class which was supposed to be 8th graders which became 8th grade through Senior high school including a few troubled teens; a composition of fifteen boys and five girls; and all native Spanish speakers (except my son) who were expected to learn prayers in English. I have to say that after the initial shock ( and a heavy handed discussion with a few bullies) the class behaved beautifully.

Running a reading celebration for 300 teenagers with raffle, activities, and music.

Driving newly sober ladies from a halfway house to an AA meeting. One sleeps in a dorm room in a twin bed with her 2 year old. She has had all of her other children taken through her life as the result of her addiction.

On top of these events I have chores around the house, driving for my son, my regular school job, a husband in harvest, friendships to nurture.

Is this really my new fall schedule? And then scale is up two pounds.

What does Beck say? Dieting takes time. I am going back the scheduling chapter she wrote. I will fill in first the absolute musts. and see if things work out. For sure I need to cut back on work hours ( I have been volunteering a lot lately.) I need to build back my strength with moderate exercise. That must be my priority. I will schedule NO MORE EVENTS on my calendar. I am literally booked through February if I follow my advantage card - one out of town weekend per month.

These few things should help.

Suzlen and love2garden: I agree that life is raw enough without reading a glorification of the ugly in my books. I tried A Visit From the Goon Squad Blick! and now I tried Ender's Game but the beginning chapters are about the violence a six year old endures and I just can't do it. I have Outlanders on hold. Hopefuly that is better. If not, I am going back to the formulaic First Ladies Detective Agency which is slow, predictable but uplifting.

Last edited by maryann; 09-20-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #120  

Hello Coaches,

I am glad to read that I am not alone in my quest for quality reading.

maryann: it sounds like you do, indeed, need a plan so you don't burn out. I hope you are able to discover a balance that brings you peace.

curlyjax: Hotel Rwanda still haunts me. It was a very well made movie.

karenrn: your post wore me out. What adventure!

gardenerjoy: Your insights come at just the right time for me. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and learning.

To all of you gardeners, I have thought often of you this weekend as I looked over my terribly overgrown crepe myrtle that are taller than some of the trees in the neighborhood. In my defense, they were like this when we moved in 10 years ago but obviously I haven't known what to do with them! I am afraid to just chop them down!

Once again, back to the drawing board, on what to do for meals that will help me stay OP. The scale hasn't gone down, despite my great workouts. It is hard to stay motivated when the changed you make and the work you invest is only a difference of a few pounds by doing nothing!

Long. Term. Investment.

Have a wonderful (and in these parts - cooler) evening!
Closed Thread