Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #76  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

a 100% On Plan Day - think I'll call my local media A rare event.

Prepped a salad and ate that before the soup/rice. Put in some berbere seasoning in the soup since I was out of chili powder and WOW - hot and spicy! We'd received a substantial size bag of it as part of a food gift and I forgot about it in the pantry. This should kick start me into cleaning out the pantry and seeing what else might be hidden that I've forgotten about.

I'll pop a Canada trip vignette in here if you don't mind ... first night on Prince Edward Island, our campsite was less than 20' from the ocean on the northwest side of the island - very quiet/non-touristy. The moon was nearly full and rising over the water in front of our tent. Temps were mild but not windy. We assembled our tent in record time... to avoid the thousands of mosquitoes. We expected them - loads of them. Have experienced them before and thought we were prepared. Not for this, though. The park gent there said that something killed off the bats there three years ago and the mosquito population has gone out of control. One of the most beautiful sites we've camped at.

Goal for tomorrow is another day on plan - 100% which is always hard for me when I'm not working. Heck it's hard either way, right!?

Everytime I set a goal that's more than one pound down, I struggle... Yet when I set a one-pound goal and reach it I think, "I got this, no biggie...let me make more challenging goals!" So to try to make forward progress...goal is one pound closer to ticker.

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-10-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #77  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up easing off

Coaches

What a scorcher it was out there this afternoon! I decided to make the trip up to the show site and set up my tent and tables and sticks early. So glad I did, but wow, what a scorcher. I bought a giant container of water for tomorrow. It's in the car so I don't forget it. It also has enough water in it so I can use some for my paint brushes. I am going to while away the time if it's not busy (you never know) finishing up all these paintings I have half done. I was going to push myself tonight but I nixed it. I have enough good stuff to start the show. By mid afternoon these will be on display too so why push myself so hard. It's enough already.

DH is at his mom's for the weekend. I won't go get him until Sunday after the show. That will be a tough evening with the tear down, then putting away in my studio then drive to MIL. I expect to be exhausted, but happy. I'm looking forward to the show tomorrow and to meeting loads of new people again. This show is in a part of the province where we could maybe afford to buy a house. Maybe. About an hour from DH's work and on the edge of Lake Simcoe. What I wouldn't give for a tiny old cottage on the water.

Foodwise not too bad today. And I am tracking so even better. *credit

nationalparker I so relate to going up or stalling out when I am focused on even the 5lb goal. I like what you said about setting a 1lbs goal. I'm in. I am going to change my profile stats and signature to reflect that too. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - World Population Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi. My plan to do errands on my walk slowly grew with additional errands added until . . . until I added 'put gas in the car.' Duh! So my walk was taken in my automobile. I didn't have the option of postponing that much longer. I pumped 15.7 gallons into its 16 gallon gas tank. I do, however, have a fresh haircut.

Eating broke out of my plans when we went to dinner at the home of friends. I indulged in their 'special' cheese and crackers as if that was required. I did have a giant serving of green salad (which I'd brought - one hour fresh from our community garden). Otherwise, I stayed the path without grabbing snacks when I felt the urge.

onebyone – Sending cheers for your uber busy weekend. Love the notion of buying water for drinking and washing brushes in one bottle.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It doesn't always correlate with reality when I feel behind. But then, I usually am such that it's a notable feeling when I happen to observe that I'm on track for the day without need to drop anything from the list.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats for your scale recognizing that you've been on your path. Ouch for that crown with Kudos for responding immediately.

maryann - The first time that I skipped wedding cake, I was afraid that the whole wedding party would explode and that the event would be ruined. Of course, no one noticed. It's painful every time I learn that I'm not the center of the Universe.

nationalparker – Always Kudos for standing down your Donut Friday. Wonder if 'the powers that be' would be open to conversion to Orange and Donut Friday? Congrats for having berbere seasoning in your spice rack - not many non-Ethiopian kitchens have that. LOL at the vignette of the bug population without bats. [Some male birds are known to vigorously defend their territory against male intruders, which includes their own reflection in car mirrors.]

SuzLen - Yep, hummus just glides down so easily that overindulging is easy. Hope your day improved.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 39 Keep Up with Exercise

what are you thinking?
The same types of thoughts that interfere with dieting can also interfere with exercising.

Sabotaging Thought: I'm not going to keep this up forever, so why start?
Helpful Response: I can do it today. If I have trouble doing it later on, I'll solve the problem then.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 254.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #79  

Rough day. Not feeling well always lowers your resistance. Had a flatbread wrap for dinner, which would of been "okay" if there were not Sun chips involved. Ouch. But...the megadoses of Emergen-C are paying off and I am feeling 100% better today. We are with DS#4, being pummeled with his puns, and glad we are staying an extra day just for the rest.

Today is DS birthday - he wants me to pick up pizzas and sodas for a get-together with his friends at a local boys and girls club where he works. However am I going to not be tempted by that tonight?!? Will have the morning to think of a solid plan for avoidance.

Won't have a scale until we get back home in a couple weeks. My DD scale kept me on track.

BillBB: cheese and cracker are hard to resist. At least it is not a regular indulgence.

onebyone: hope your show goes great today!

nationalparker: my goal has been one pound at a time - anything more and I get impatient and lose hope.

maryann and Lexxis: my vitamix was the best investment I have made over the last couple years. We use it all the time. I tell anyone that will listen that is it totally worth every penny!

Lexxis: I am interested in hearing more about that special cereal.

Hmmm, world population day. Just watched a documentary on the problem with replacement growth in the world. Countries are not reproducing as they should. Very interesting.

Happy Saturday!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #80  
Green Tomatoes

Got my 100% day! My mood improved after I posted, too, so I'm getting it done earlier today!

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40 425/1300 minutes for July, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

onebyone: I changed my ticker today to reflect a one pound loss. It is so rare it deserves and observance.

Suzlen: So great to be with your son. DS is always good company for us. He just became a teen and we are dreading the day he flies the coop.

BBE: Does home grown lettuce taste different than store bought? I know tomatoes do.

gardenernjoy: Credit for posting.

As for me: Day 3 with the new tighten restrictions. I have edged closer to my mini goal of under 160. Disappointed that I was back up to two pain pills yesterday but I am going to give myself a break this weekend. Things may change with PT on Monday. I find with the new restrictions on sugar (borrowing from JJ Virgen's Low Sugar Impact Book and the Food Addicts Anonymous Gray Sheet) I find I am not hungry at all. Now what is left is the desire to feel that sugar spike. I am acknowledging their as a loss I must grieve. Silly to think of it as a grief issue but sugar has been my most constant companion of my life.

DS gets to go with DH to watch our new tractor be built at the Caterpillar factor. What a life that kid leads! But he earns everything with his great work ethic and kind heart.

Last edited by maryann; 07-11-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #82  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Ann Sorry the pain required pills. DS and DH are enjoying this exciting trip for sure.

Bill YOur Cranberry post gave me a beautiful view and a good laugh.

More rain this past 5 weeks than any summer I remember!!! Ground is squishy even when covered with much in the paths. Equal to the WV Cranberry Glades bogs in our back yard.

Reading wonderful books but moving very little. That has to change.

National Parker Your description of your first night camping was a delight to read and think about. Sorry they lost their bats. Sure would change the bug population quickly.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #83  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good afternoon Coaches,

Oh boy. I’m on a slippery slope and I need to get off. I had way too many potato chips last night and I need to reinstate and reinforce my Beck habits big time today. So I’m posting, tracking, reading response cards and doing the things I know I need to do.

In the good news department today, I finished the Runner’s World plan I was working on and I’ll start a new one on Monday. It’s a 7 week plan but I’m thinking I’ll repeat every week, so in 14 weeks I’ll be running 30 minutes nonstop once again! Right now I’m doing 2 minutes running/1 minute walking so I have a ways to go.

The opera workshop starts tomorrow and it will be an intense 10 days, so I went grocery shopping last night and I’ll be making big crockpot stews to get me through.

Off to catch up on posts … Thanks everyone for helping me stay on track!!!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #84  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I'm back from my camping/hiking trip to Sequoia National Park and consider it a successful trip. Food and exercise were both good, credit. We had a couple of really nice hikes and I carried a 25 pound backpack. The second one was 12 1/2 miles with almost 3000 feet elevation gain and we started at 7200 feet. We saw bears each day and even a momma with her two cubs. I love seeing the bears.

I did break my no alcohol streak when I got home though. Sat and had a few beers while visiting with my husband about the trip and making decisions about the old dog. I'll get back on it though and I still haven't had a sweet. I took lots of fruit with me and enjoyed that rather than chips or sweets.

Our dog requires watching since he is nearly blind. Dh found him in a part of the back yard where he doesn't usually go and was completely disoriented and legs shaking probably because he was afraid. Then he almost walked straight in to the pool, but dh was with him. Anyway, we will shorten our trip to Washington and come straight home after our nieces wedding in September rather than take a slower trip down the coast. He's not going to be here forever, but it doesn't seem like it is time to put him down either. He still eats well and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

We have a good pet sitter who is a friend and has known him for 10 years, but she works and it leaves him home more hours than we'd like. When I'm gone my husband is able to leave work (2 miles away) and come home a few times during the day to check on him.

I'll get to personals soon; hope you all have a good weekend.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #85  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Recouped this evening to have a day that's on track, but not as planned. But I'm pleased with that. I have trouble some times after going to the market that I want to taste test some of the things I've bought ... even if I already know what they taste like. Didn't do that at all today. Got everything put away from the market and changed clothes to mow the lawn...dreading it for no reason other than I wasn't feeling too great. Still trying to stave off a cold or something. Then, in the garage, realized I can't even get to the lawn mower - DH had it stowed up in a spot I can't reach. Can't say I was upset about it.

Karen - Sounds like your hikes were challenging ones with a good reward of the wildlife! DH and I were huffing and puffing on the inclines on our brief hikes. Then I say THIS is the year we lose some weight. Then I get mad that I say that every year and we do some but never get where we want to before gaining some back it. All cattle, no hat, I keep thinking. Good luck with your dog - that is a tough time to go through because while there is quality of life, it's hard to think of taking any action.

Bill - That sounds wonderful to be enjoying the "fresh from the garden" salad with your friends! I never even got past the first few pages of that A guide to the good life : the ancient art of Stoic joy library book ... and cannot renew, so will have to re-request it. I check out so many books that highly interest me, that I run out of time to enjoy. One more reason to look forward to retirement (years down the line...).

SuzLen - I'll join you with the one pound at a time plan... I was a bit closer this morning, so I'll take that without getting greedy. It's SO hard for me to not think, after seeing the scale drop a bit, to aim for a larger drop sooner. Pizza to celebrate a birthday sounds just wonderful to me, though, in all honesty. With others around, you'll probably keep the portion reasonable and be successful!

Maryann - Love your description of your son! Keeping thoughts in mind for your pain to be lessened/released.

Love2Garden - We, too, have had so much rain this past month or so ... I had planted some pots to withstand more dry weather (geraniums, portulaca, etc.) and my geraniums are starting to get a bit waterlogged. I thought about seeing if I could find some more small 8-pk annuals to tuck into the pots to use up more of the moisture. Wonder if it's too late in the season...

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-11-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Much of my day was spent cleaning up the various piles of 'stuff' that accumulate under my control. This in preparation for some folks coming over today. Apparently, the house is supposed to look as if nobody lives here: no sections of newspapers are waiting for a day with more time; no books are currently being read; no mail waits to be sorted; no clothes are ambiguous about whether this is their season or not. In my next life my valet will handle swapping the clothes for the changing of the seasons since it appears to be beyond my talents. Some papers got tossed, CREDIT moi, even though it happened with the negative thought, Should have done this, already. When I become centered, I'll just rejoice that I'm cleaning up stuff now.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, with cold grilled salmon on the patio and another green salad from our community garden - albeit with store bought tomatoes and cukes. I'm currently using a salad dressing by Paul Newman that contains no sugar. My usual was carefully selected because it had sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I hadn't noticed that there existed dressing without any sweetener at all. Perhaps it's time for me to quite being lazy and mix a bottle of salad dressing with known ingredients.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for reaping the benefits of posting early.

Erika (eusebius) – Kudos for finishing your "Runner’s World plan." Ouch for those d*rn potato chips slipping into your life. Good luck on your workshop tomorrow. By the by, the radio was playing Rossini's Barber overture while I drove to the gym last Friday - it got me in a workout mood.

maryann - Congrats on that ticker change and Kudos for Day 3 on your new path. I am so jealous of going to the Caterpillar factory. [I taste the difference in our salads with homegrown lettuce; DW isn't so sure. One difference is that the organic salad mix we buy has more variety, but the major difference is that we're currently adding a small amount of Arugula with its powerful zap.]

nationalparker – LOL at, "even if I already know what they taste like." I so have to kick myself that I don't have to taste a cheese that I've had many times before or to 'taste' pecans I'm putting on a salad as if I don't know what pecans taste like.

Karen (karenrn) - Welcome back from Sequoia. Hiking up from 7200 feet just boggles my mind - Congrats for pulling off such a neat trip.

Sandy (love2garden) - LOL at a bog in your backyard. We, too, are pleased to have sufficient rain recently. Hope some moving about happens.

SuzLen - Yep, feeling unwell leads me to think anything I eat is helpful to fight the doldrums. Hope you found your way through the pizza temptation.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 39 Keep Up with Exercise

what are you thinking?
The same types of thoughts that interfere with dieting can also interfere with exercising. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I'm not an exercise person.
Helpful Response: I don't have to be an exercise fanatic. I can continue doing what I've been doing and just gradually increase it, if I want to.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 254.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!

thanks everyone for the protein ideas! how could i forget that basic, cottage cheese? new ideas to try!

credit yesterday for long walk in the heat with friend, chatting always makes the time go faster! credit for splitting a fabulous chicken wrap with her, 1/2 was more than enough!

we are going kayaking this morning- there is a place very close to our house where you can rent paddle boards, kayaks etc. too bad the lake isn't bigger, it gets a little boring at this point but its nice to be on the water anyhow, and the kids both want to do paddle boarding so its a safe place to do it, no motor boats to make waves.
Bill I am with you with wanting a valet to change seasonal clothes, that is one of my least favorite chores, partially because it is hard to find room to store them. My dream house will have a walk in closet with beautiful pre-built shelving!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #88  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

Yesterday was a day with poor food choices. Credit I didn't go out and get fast food like I really felt like doing. Scale is up and I moved to today with a solution to the problem. I have a plan I'm writing it down and I will stick with it. Work calls I need to run. Better to check in and not check in. Credit.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #89  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Coaches,

I'm waiting for the bus to take me to the first day of the opera workshop. I'm a bit nervous but I hope it will go okay.

Yesterday was on plan including a long run. I made a Moroccan Chicken Stew in the crockpot and I have 2 servings packed to eat on my breaks. I got up early and did yoga this morning.

karenrn - kudos for a great active trip and staying healthy with eating. Your pup is fortunate to have the kind of loving family he deserves.

nationalparker - great job with your eating yesterday. Lol at the tragically inaccessible lawnmower

BillBE - kudos for good eating and for great decluttering efforts. LOL at the Barber overture as pre-workout pep music. Hey, it worked

curlyjax - sounds like a great healthy day with your friend. Have a wonderful time kayaking today!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #90  

Good morning,

Decided not to fight it last night and let myself have one piece of pizza. CREDIT for only eating one. There was quite a bit of pizza left over and part of me hates "wasting" food - but I gave it all away to the various teenagers at the party, along with all of the rootbeers in the cooler. No tempting food left.

Today we travel to the other side of the state to stay with my mother's brother and his family for a few days. Mom will visit all of her old friends in that part of the state while DS4 and DS5 and I hang out on the ranch and ride horses. Life can be so rough

We are off early - just wanted to check in because I must stay in a routine!

Have a great day, everyone.
Closed Thread