Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #151  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - National Ice Cream Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Food was OK, CREDIT moi. Afternoon snack did some of the crackers and humus from the previous day - but in a modest portion. Dinner was the sirloin tips that I hadn't overindulged in the night before so they tasted doubly good knowing that I could have stuffed myself with them but didn't. Sliced cold steak is one great summer dish. I found myself perusing the list of places that give FREE ice cream today, and then felt really stupid. I don't want ice cream today. When I do want ice cream, I can pick the exact type that I want and pay for it - it's not expensive in the quantity that fits my eating plan.

Walked to a friend's house, CREDIT moi. It wasn't a long walk. Earlier I started out several times only to discover that rain had just started. I began to feel like I was causing it. Temperatures are predicted into the 90's today; looking forward to that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good reminder - food does not need to be the source of variety in our lives. By the by, thanks to Charles Minches of St. Louis for inventing the ice cream cone at the 1904 World's Fair. However did we live without it.

maryann - Sounds like a good plan for the day.

spanky - Kudos for getting back on your path. It's so easy to feel down about a gain. Sending supportive thoughts for those stress inducing events in your life.

nationalparker – Ouch for a stressful day searching for the "babies" with Kudos for finding that wood-fired pizzeria to give yourselves a needed break afterward.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, avoiding that all or nothing mentality is so important. I find it so easy to fall into the nothing option. For many of us, a ninety minute hike in your mountains would be a major good day. I'm drooling over your salad.

curlyjax - Thanks for the image of the beach in the winter. Kudos for opening yourself to change - Yep, it's scary.

Sandy (love2garden) - Neat that you can get so lost working your garden that you forget about eating.

SuzLen - Kudos for getting back in the grove. LOL at your DS's shock at the current state of nibbling food around the house.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 40 Enrich Your Life

what are you thinking?
You undoubtedly should enrich your life - now. Don't let the following sabotaging thoughts stop you. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I won't have as good a time if I [do this activity] before I've lost weight.
Helpful Response: That might be true, but before I go I can work on the unhelpful thoughts that could dampen my pleasure. I can [do this activity] once I lose weight, but I should also do it now. There's no reason to wait.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 259.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #152  

Good morning, coaches

National Ice Cream Day?!

When I was pregnant with my first child I would eat a pint of ice cream from Baskin Robbins nearly every night for three months......sigh....those were the days, to be young and have a high metabolism. Now I have to steer clear or I won't fit in my pants the next day!

BillBB: Your little stories would make great Pixar shorts. Starting to rain each time you walked outside made me laugh.

curlyjax: a daily slog can be draining, the first 20 years of our marriage we moved 11 times. I always found the change exciting and refreshing. Good luck with the job hunt.

love2garden: you gardeners have my admiration. I am enthusiastic about one week of Spring (which is all spring lasts around these parts) and then that is it. Heat and humidity and weeds are the devil to me.

maryann: good with the planning. I have found that I plan, but then am not in the mood for what I planned. I guess I am still too much of a "comfort" eater.

nationalparker: good for you for taking back your day. I hope you are able to accomplish all things you want to today!

karenrn: your salad sounds delish - I am always looking for a new salad.

spanky: welcome back, I look forward to getting to know you better!

gardenerjoy: I still struggle with variety in my food, apparently I get bored easily and want to make changes to my food. Although one semester I ate nothing but string cheese and bell pepper for lunch. So, I guess if I want to it can be done.

CREDIT for staying on plan yesterday and resisting the last of the doritos my DS had laying around. It felt good to eat in my own home again. DH grilled fish and we had roasted asparagus and zucchini. Great way to end the day.

CREDIT for cardio and strength training, even though it was light from lack of consistency.

Have a plan for today, and hope I "feel" like it when it meal time rolls around

Find joy in your day!
Old 07-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #153  
Green Tomatoes

I got to a new low for the year this morning. I'm extra thrilled because we had the saltiest, most caloric dish in our repertoire last night. I know I'm doing well when I get a down tick the morning after eating that dish.

WI: -0.15 kg (new low), Exercise: +50 760/1300 minutes for July, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

spanky: I have two snacks. The first is 1/3 c of cereal with 24 chocolate chips (usually heated in the microwave for 1 minute, stirring every 15 seconds so the chocolate melts) with fresh berries (right now, they are local blackberries). The second is one slice of my homemade whole-wheat high-protein bread with a spread made of mostly yogurt cheese mixed with a little mayo plus some grapes.
Glad to see you back here and that things are a little less bumpy for you now.

BillBlueEyes: St. Louis is quite proud of being the site for the invention of the ice cream cone.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #154  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Got a great deal done yesterday and am planning a bit more relaxing today. Very hot today. Got some weeding done before heading to the market for chicken for my chicken pot pie for dinner. Despite adding carrots to it, I'll roast a pan of carrots and onions this afternoon to reheat after cooking the entree. DH was home nearly an hour late last night, so dinner was ehh. The homemade french fries baked in the oven I was looking forward to were like rubber, having sat so long and been reheated. Kept me from eating many, that's for sure. Disappointed and then thought, it's $1 for the potato, if that. Life goes on.

A year ago tomorrow (well, soon after midnight tonight), my father passed away. I posted an unspoken eulogy on his memorial page with the funeral home - cutoff for memories is a year after someone passes and I figured I wanted to post that for some reason. Even though it's in my own mind and I certainly won't forget any of it.

I had a strange dream with my mom last night - we were together in Italy with others, and the dream didn't come back to me until I was heating Ciobar for a breakfast treat this morning. Out of character, I turned on the TV in the morning and found "Room With A View" - set in Florence with opening music what I listen to most weekend mornings. Strange coincidences - and to have faves Maggie Smith and Judi Dench in the movie as well. I cannot say I enjoyed it as I was darting around doing things, but the scenery filled my spirit. Let me know if it's worth a sit-down viewing while paying attention

National Ice Cream Day, hmm. Last week I bought a half-gallon but they're less than that now, one of the Bryers ones with just the cream, sugar, vanilla, etc. - nothing artificial. I ate two spoons of the soft stuff off the top when I first brought it home and DH hammered it in a few days, wiping the whole thing out. I was shocked and think I made him feel bad, just that it was gone so quickly. I consciously didn't pick up another package that wasn't portioned out today. I wish we could have some in here to use small amounts in desserts, but I just know now that it's not possible. I can let a container get covered with ice crystals, but no baguette will go stale under my watch, while he's the exact opposite, so I need to rethink that. It would be VERY hard for me if he brought home fresh, delicious baguettes often. Lesson learned.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Beck friends,

Checking in to say hi to you all. I am still an avid reader of all Beck posts and you continue to be a huge source of comfort and inspiration. I read your posts daily.

I regained everything I had lost, which was not much really. I have recently refocused on healthy eating and have lost 8 pounds. I am looking to lose 6 more and then I will be back to where I was.

I am ditching as much of the diet mentality as I can and focusing on healthy eating, planning, recording food, drinking water, reading advantage and response cards, meditating and having as much fun and relaxation in life as I can. And on getting in some exercise every day.

Take care everyone and hope you are all having a fantastic summer.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Off day today despite two days more of logged OP calories. The predominant emotion I am feeling right now is anger. You see my son is named Atticus. I just read the reviews of the new book - or should I say old book since it was a first draft- Lee published. In it apparently Atticus Finch is a racist. The anger comes from my belief that Lee was a victim of greedy people who waited until she had had a stroke and her guardian sister died to exploit a script that was never meant to be the last word on Atticus. I have been waiting to share To Kill a Mockingbird with my son but I gave it to him this morning because i don't want him to go back to school and have some idiot challenge him about a subject he knows little about. I have read lots of articles about those of us who named our children as a salute to kindness and courage and who have now had the rug pulled. Sure some say this will all die down. Others say it opens a new dialogue on race. All I see is the vulnerability of my 8th grade boy who will read the book in school next year. Maybe this is silly. But I can't shake it.

To lighten my mood, I changed my avatar: Today I will live in the moment unless the moment is unpleasant and then I will eat cookies -CookieMonster

Last edited by maryann; 07-19-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Moon Day (Tranquility Base, 1969)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – DW and I made it to the Hokusai exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. We had planned to do a hike, but 90 degrees F is daunting. The most famous Hokusai print is the Big Wave (as mimicked in maryann's new CookieMonster avatar, LOL). My favorite was Shōki, The Demon Queller. Super neat stuff. Felt like I'd done my Enrich Your Life strategy for the day, CREDIT moi.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. Afternoon snack was larger than is best, but more of the hummus is gone. Its problem is that it likes to go down with crackers. Dinner was on the patio because the heat had backed off by evening. DW's gardens are plush green; it's a tiny garden of Eden.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on that new low.

CeeJay - Smart move to get away from the "diet mentality" to concentrate on strategies that can be a permanent part of life.

maryann - I share your anger that a classic American icon is getting worked over in a book released via a dubious route. I've decided not to read it. Your DS is bigger than the ruckus the new book will cause.

nationalparker – LOL at, "no baguette will go stale under my watch" - the brain does have its own priorities. Sending supportive thoughts on the anniversary of your father's passing.

SuzLen - Always Kudos for resisting Doritos - evil things, them. Your grilled dinner sounds lovely.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 40 Enrich Your Life
..Once I take steps to enrich
my life, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 260.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #158  

CREDIT for a good breakfast and a partial good lunch. DS left those spicy Doritos right on the table and all I could think was how good they would taste with my tuna. LOL The struggle is so real CREDIT for not finishing off the whole bag. Then I deliberating skipped dinner because I wasn't feeling hungry.

Have a plan for the day, which includes going shopping for a new chest freezer. Mine is filled to the brim with a pig my sister raised and butchered for me. I don't have room for anything else now.

Wore a skirt yesterday that I would not of fit into before I started with Beck. CREDIT. Made the "It's Not Okay" response card (after I ate the Doritos, of course) - so that will be in front of me for the day.

BillBB: the exhibit sounds lovely. I have pieces of Japanese art in my home as my husband lived there for a while. Not a Hokusai, of course, but I love Japanese art.

maryann: it angers me when a read a good series than the author or others go back and redefine characters or tell everyone what they "really" meant. I love the name Atticus, my nephew has that name, and I loved the book. No one can convince me his character is anything other. I hope your son enjoys reading it immensely.

ceejay: good to meet you.

gardenerjoy: congrats on another good show at the scale!

Tons to do today just to get back into the groove after vacation. Have a great Monday!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #159  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

maryann

To Kill a Mockingbird is on my shelves. From afar, I'm shocked at that this new publication went ahead. Like Bill, I'm not going to read it.

Read To Kill a Mockingbird, have the discussions with your boy, share the anger. He's always sounded sensible and sensitive, like his mother. He is much bigger than all this. He'll be able to cope.

Everyone, I'm still snowed* under with duties in different directions. I can see light, I think, but won't be back here for a while. You're doing so well.

*remember that stuff?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #160  

Default Hot Hot Hot

Hi all. My AC broke down yesterday afternoon. DH called and we can't get anyone to come out until Tuesday morning. We may be staying at a hotel tonight. It's supposed to be in the mid 90s today so it'll be like an oven in the house. Even with all the fans running.

I didn't do too well food wise on Saturday. We had dinner with some friends. I stayed away from the appetizers except for a couple of shrimp. And I ate a reasonable dinner, but I couldn't resist the dessert. But I got right back on track yesterday but I'm still a little disappointed in myself. I gotta put it behind me and move on.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #161  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a no exercise day and I guess today is too. I'm leaving soon for an overnight in Flagstaff which is a few hours north. I'll be staying in a Yurt on an outing with the Sierra Club. I don't know any of them, but it was a chance to hike (tomorrow) in the cooler temps. It will be in the 50's in the morning and won't get above 80 most likely. The hike is 9+ miles to Kendrick Peak and back. It starts just under 8000 ft elevation and goes up to 10,400. It's a nice hike that I've done several times. I'll carry my back for practice.

Meals are provided, so hopefully they will be okay. It may mean portion control. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #162  
Green Tomatoes

I almost didn't weigh myself this morning because I had an extra snack yesterday, but I know from experience that just compounds the problem. CREDIT for weighing anyway.

The extra snack is because I wanted a break. A cup of herbal tea would have worked just as well. The problem is that would require me to acknowledge that I wanted a break. I've used food for so long in this way that there's a short circuit in my brain that allows me to take a break when I "should" be doing something else -- without confessing it to myself.

New Response Card:
Quote:
Taking a break is good for me. I want to relish taking breaks, not take them accidentally without noticing. A cup of herbal tea and a good book make the perfect break.
WI: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +50 760/1300 minutes for July, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Yay, CeeJay! Glad to see you here!

maryann: I'm also boycotting the new Lee book -- I was skeptical from the initial announcement just because of how it appeared to arrive on the scene.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #163  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Coaches,

Another flyby post. Things are calming down for me just a little bit now. Our performance is on Thursday and my role is “just” to run the surtitles, so I’ll be hanging around quite a lot, which is fine with me. I got to sleep in a little this morning and go running. I don’t anticipate losing any weight this week … which is fine. I’ve lost every week since I started with WW so I think the trend will continue next week.

Waving to all and wishing everyone a great OP day. Hi CeeJay!!
Old 07-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 178/172/100

Height: 4'11

Hello everyone, I'm new to Doctor Beck but I've done lots of CBT in the past so I feel I will have more success with this program. I'm still on stage one (practicing those skills!) and boy is it ever hard! I'm having the hardest time eating all my planned food and none of my unplanned food but I'm slowly getting better!

I just got engaged and am absolutely dying to lose the weight that I've put on and I feel like I'm just making no progress at all. I have however stopped eating food where I work (which is literally just crap) so I feel small victories are important! I'm so glad I found this site/thread/everything because literally no one I know understands what I'm going through.

Does anyone have any tips for phase 1?
Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Welcome howyoulose: In ten days I will celebrate my fifth year as a member. I was once over 200 pounds but I lost the last ten pounds here and have kept it off. That's the most important - the keeping it off. I don't know if anyone who is not a compulsive overeater can imagine the pain such a practice brings. I had shame about my weakness with food. But what I learned here is how insidious our culture has become with big business food manufacturing companies that devise recipes to make you crave not satiate; with restaurants and business rewarding with huge portions of sugar; and even our families often undermining healthy practices. You are not alone. There is peace to be found here.

Is your avatar Miranda Lambert? I love her music.

Silverbirch: Thanks for the pep talk. Glad you can start to see light.

Suzlen: I read lots of homemaker's blogs and all of them have a chest freezer. I always wonder if I should get one. There are only three of us and I think it would be a waste of electricity. We buy an FFA pig every year and house it at my BIL. Boy do we love the bacon.

BBE: The Asian exhibit sounds divine. When you come to San Francisco again ( and after you have come see our ranch two hours away and picked as many pecans as you can eat in a lifetime) we will go to the Asian museum. It is wonderful.

diane1102: Credit for hopping back on. That is the true secret to long term success.

KarenRN: How do you find out about the trips you select through Sierra Club?

Gardenerjoy: I am joining you and all the rest here with boycotting the book.

Last edited by maryann; 07-20-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Closed Thread