Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #151  

Morning everyone
Yesterday was a good eating day untill I woke up in the middle of the nite. It's hard to ignore your stomach growling at that time...
Today is pottery day will get my walk in as well.

Cheatinvegan you use frozen fruit , and it suggests you use bananas as your 'base' and add berries etc it churns the fruit and when it comes out its like ice cream but made with fruit only. So good

Waving hi to everyone. I'll be back this weekend
Old 04-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #152  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

It's a beautiful Friday here in Michigan. OP yesterday and today so far too. Tomorrow is Weigh In and I know I've probably gained. Today I'm a pound over my signature weight, dangitt.

Today's most striking Advantage Response for me is: "I want to stop being tense and aware of the fat around my mid-section".

Happy Friday to all!

Last edited by spanky; 04-17-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #153  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post it's the small things

Coaches

Just a glorious day today. Feels like a summer day. Even a touch humid. Fantastic. Hope it's nice wherever you are as well.

I've been tracking my food and it's all good. The only exception are the small wrapped things hanging around the pottery guild. Today was the second time I dipped into them. I ate 5 in total as I did the other day. I am under the gun to complete my ceramic work once more as I get it into the kiln for the glaze firing. Deadline is Monday at 6pm and I have a lot of small things and a showy big thing to do. People are of the opinion that a bowl I made in collaboration with a member who throws pots could win Juror's Choice aka Best in Show but you know, I still have to glaze the thing and that's make or break. Sigh. I was thinking about that when I went to eat the wrapped things as a time out. I should have walked up the stairs and stood in the sun instead.

I'm still feeling pumped from the health assessment day this week. I need a plan of action to get some activity now. It seems so simple and yet it feels so hard.

Have a good evening!

Last edited by onebyone; 04-17-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 PM   #154  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Having a good day today

Hello Coaches

Nationalparker: Kuods for staying on track and for reaching Day 18. And what a good strategy, knowing that pizza is a trigger food, to start with salad. I’ll be interested to see if I find joggers in Rome. I DID see lots of them in Paris last year in the park by the Eiffel Tower. I’m not really worried about running. I’m sure the miles of walking will be plenty.

curlyjax: I like your idea of buying only desserts you don't like. For me, it’s ice cream, or at least my bf's favorite flavor... so I don’t get tempted by his stash. Kudos for the walk, for the cleaning and the salad.

Karen: Kudos for getting in the walk. How nice to have friends visiting. I hope you managed to get in a hike.

Onebyone: WooHoo on the great test results, especially the major drop in cholesterol. Wow. That’s fantastic. And I LOVE your takeaway point… to never give up…

Cheatin' Vegan Kudos on the yoga and the good eating choices of smoothie and salad. Super. Inspiring to read that you didn’t simply read your advantages, but you “really felt” them. I’ve gotta remember to do that, rather than breeze through them. Good job facing a craving and dealing with it with a glass of water.

Bill: Kudos for the gym workout and for choosing just the half-sandwich. And for the decision to cut dinner carbs to compensate for earlier choices. That’s a good thing for me to remember, that if I overdo earlier in the day, I can make corrections at dinner.

Spanky: Yay for staying on plan with eating and on track with your “stealth” exercise. I like the way your mind is working… that you ALSO deserve the equivalent of a “cigarette break”. It seems only fair. Keep us posted if the idea flies.

GardenerJoy: I really like the effect of using the 3rd person in problem solving. I do something similar to that in my journal. It’s a visualization. I imagine a team of experts: doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists. Dr. Judith Beck is there, as is Milton Erickson MD., the father of hypnotherapy. They’re huddled in a conference room discussing one of their “cases”, a woman named Ani. I write their dialog as they they discuss a problem that Ani is facing. They’re wise, full of great strategies and tactics, compassionate, but also tough. It helps.

P/A: Kudos for the good eating day until the midnite stomach growls. I hate that too. What is your plan for those times? Do you have an allowed food easy to access. I used to keep a small baggie of Honey Nut Cherrios on my bedside table. But it’s been a long time since I needed them, so they’re back in the cupboard.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone...

Ani
Old 04-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #155  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Lots of walking including in a thunderstorm, which terrifies me. Lunch was too much food and i let myself get too hungry ...up at 4 am and ate at 1 pm ... of to dinner as soon as i can rise dh. Will focus on portion.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #156  

Thumbs up Technology for Tracking Nutrition and Pedometer Helps A LOT

I'm loving the technology...
- nutrition tracker online ... very cool and information... For the first time in my life, I've become a calorie counter, which always used to seem like a hassle.
- pedometer on my phone ... so easy to use... I leave it going 24/7... it really encourages me to go a bit farther.

1.Eating has been OP. 2.Plenty of walking 3.The very beginning of strength training. (still don't like it, so I avoid it or only do half the reps. I gotta get my mind in a better place about it.)

Have a great rest of the day, coaches...

Ani

Last edited by dailypractice; 04-17-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:14 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 149/149/120

Height: 5'4"

I felt really tired today. My husband had to work last week (thus the mom/son trip) and he's on a business trip all week this week. Even though my son is at a really easy age, the nonstop childcare, especially with sick days, has taken it out of me. I hadn't planned any exercise, but my normal walking was really minimal. Eating was on plan, though.

(Not sure how to bold on mobile.)
BillBlueEyes, congratulations on a 100% day.
p.a., pottery sounds really fun. That and walking both sound like great meaningful activities.
spanky, congratulations on being on plan. That's a really powerful advantage.
onebyone, congratulations on stating almost completely on plan in spite of being under the fun. That's really exciting about the Juror's Choice possibility.
nationalparker, I really like hearing your self-awareness getting too hungry leading to too much food.
dailypractice, congratulations on good rating and exercise.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - New Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, though not perfect. It was the evening of Easter Dinner with our two kids and their spouses - first date since Easter their four schedules allowed. I had exactly one serving at the family served dinner even as the ham was attacked multiple times by the starving young adults. I had seconds of the salad I had made which got rave reviews - perhaps because I pull out all stops and add roasted pecans, dried cranberries, avocado, and gorgonzola all to the healthy base of mixed greens, cukes, mushrooms, and plum tomatoes. DW served mixed fruit for dessert and one of the kids brought a pound cake to sop it up with. The asparagus were grilled outside with just oil and herbs and the scalloped potatoes were mixed with celery root. To my surprise, the kids took home some of the potatoes/celery-root as well as the expected wad of ham. I love sending them home with ham. We keep enough for me to have sandwiches for a spell and them a couple of pots of bean soup with the bone. My off-plan diversion came when I was prepping the ham into chunks for the fridge/freezer: I nibbled. Standing. Ouch. My little fingers can pop a nugget of ham into my mouth faster than a Sabotaging Thought can form - much less a Helpful Response. It wasn't much and if I wanted to be legalistic I could spread it onto the two unused scheduled snacks. Good enough.

Did gym with trainer, CREDIT moi. Not much walking. My assignment was to clear all first floor piles of stuff for dinner guests. And big fun was prepping the Easter Baskets. Adulthood seems to be put aside when anticipating the Big Bunny's contribution. The biggest hit was DW's basket's Cricket Flour; she was ecstatic. The standard array of seasonal fruits, nuts, and nut butters filled the rest. The various fur-babies all got baskets with treats that can be stolen by the adults such as foil packed tuna that can sit in the office for a quick lunch. My DS has studied quality of dog food and had warned me that I wasn't qualified to buy food for his dog, LOL. So that dog got a basket of doggie toys and implements. (For the new folks: when I started my journey 9 years ago, I decided that Easter candy had to go for the kids as well. I, timidly, started creating Easter Baskets with healthy stuff. To my delight, they loved it and it's become a new family tradition with Big Bunny trying to find treats they haven't tried.)

onebyone – Kudos for the efforts that allow you to feel pumped up for your health assessment.

spanky - Neat Advantage - thanks for sharing.

nationalparker – Yikes, walking in a thunderstorm sends chills down my spine.

p.a. - Yep, nighttime growling is a challenge. Yay for the exercise and joy of pottery day.

Ani (dailypractice) - Yay for technology to support the mind staying the path.

CheatinVegan - Ouch for the tired - may you find a moment to take a nap one of these day. Kudos for on plan, anyway.

Readers -
Quote:
day 34 Solve Problems

what are you thinking?
As you work on solving problems, many sabotaging thoughts can get in your way, undermining your confidence and leading you to automatically discount potential solutions. Use the following examples to help you respond to these thoughts. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I don't even want to think about the problem. I'd rather just eat.
Helpful Response: Eating is just a short-term fix that'll make me feel even worse in the long run.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 234.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #159  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Credit for using my third-person wise adviser to counsel me that I didn't want to run errands through the lunch hour. Extra credit for not eating ice cream when I took bottles back to the dairy -- it's been years since I've managed that! It helped that I had my own frozen yogurt waiting for me at home.

WI: +0.5 kg, Exercise: +75 775/1300 minutes for April, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

dailypractice: I love your conference room of experts! There's something similar in A Blueprint for Your Castle in the Clouds by Barbara Sophia Tammes, but I like your version better.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #160  

Afternoon everyone
First off.....'cricket flour' ?? :P
I love your healthy easter basket idea Bill
Ani I eat a banana or some cheese

Fighting a head cold. Low key day
Old 04-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #161  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

On plan yesterday and today so far. Spent the morning pushing domestic chores and taking a music break now on my new High End headphones as I types and sip coffee.

Today's Response I'm mulling over: I want to disconnect eating from emotion and boredom.

Not only do I want to lose weight, I want these Beck skills!
Old 04-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #162  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Walked about 4 1/2 miles this morning with a friend, credit.

It's been a busy week, and I say this in relation to my lower level of energy with this healing fracture. Food has still been a little more than it should be and I'll say more about that. I got out for a hike yesterday with my friends who are here from MN, credit. It was about 5 miles and is the hike that I used to take my lesser fit friends on. With my arm in a sling and using one pole it was not strenuous exactly, but sure a lot harder for me than when I did it last 3/13. Then 3/14 I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up for 44,000 steps in 8 hours of hiking. I couldn't do that right now. I can't believe how deconditioned I have become in a month. It will likely take a bit longer to get back to where I was, especially because I don't dare go on the steep rocky hikes I was doing.

Okay about this food thing. For the past week or so I have had at times a bit of a queasy tummy, at times a little acidy feeling and more hunger than usual. I'm thinking it's just a low grade bug. I've started taking Zantac, which I don't usually need and also some probiotics I have around. Hopefully between the two and whatever else I will feel more like myself soon. I'm not on anything that should be upsetting my stomach. I'm not taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatories cause they don't recommend them with acute fractures. Apparently they can inhibit bone growth. Okay if anybody has any hints or ideas, let me know.

BBE I clicked on the link to Cricket flour but didn't do anything more. Please don't tell me it's ground up crickets. The salad you made sounds delicious
. And we don't have ham often, but I do love it. I have some in the freezer for soup too.

Onebyone Your health assessment was certainly good news. Good luck getting your ceramic pieces finished. Post photos again if you can.

Daily practice I love all the technology too. I love my Garmin Vivo and when I'm really hiking I take a Garmin GPS so I can really see the total elevation accumulation. I hear you about the strength training, but I know it's so important. I am going to redouble my efforts in that regard when I can go back to the gym. And it won't be long that I will be in the gym cause it will be too hot to be on the trail.

Spanky Oh wouldn't it be a miracle to disconnect eating from emotions and boredom. I truly think I would be thin. Let us know how it goes.

Waving to everyone else and hoping you all have a great weekend.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back from a flight to Los Angeles. SIL gave DH Laker tickets at Staples. DH and DS have a goal of seeing every NBA venue. 7 down, 21 to go. DH welled up when 12yo DS said, "Don't worry Dad, if I am grown up before we finish, I'll go with you anywhere."

The new stricter food program overall is a success. Who would have thought I could have stuck to three meals a day with a small protein fruit before bed, no flour and almost no sugar? But I am spending vast spaces of time in a day not eating which is shocking. Many times between each meal I say, "Noon will always come" or when craving sugar, I say, " I have used up all my chances with sugar. I'd rather be thinner and free." Although I wasn't perfect during the trip, I was impressed with my progress. The scale is one pound above ticker. Lots of veggie cooking today for the week - roasting bell peppers, sautéing mushrooms, baking a bunch of sweet potatoes to freeze for lunches.

Some of these personals are from older posts. I had catching up to do.

CheatinVegan: Your talk about "normal eating" reminds me of Beck's section on special events. With weekends, holidays, special occasions, we could let ourselves off the hook for a food plan over 100 days a year. I find that true.

Curlyjax: Good questions about how I cook for my fam and me. Sometimes I try to have the entree the same and then adjust my meal. The other night I made a bunch of pull pork. I had it over brown rice; they had it in a flour tortilla. Sometimes I make a big salad with hardboiled eggs and cheese for us all to share. That was my dinner and they had homebaked bread which is a satisfying meal for them. But then to be honest, sometimes i cook their meal and I drink a veggie proetin smoothie at the table with them. It is a balancing act. DS is an active, slim grown boy. He certainly needs foods and amounts I don't.

nationalparker: Here is a question about Europe. BBE and gardenerjoy might chime in on. Whe I go to Ireland (March 2016), do I have a money belt? I hate the feel of them. Is there a more female friendly version to secure passport etc. . .

p.a. I find every season a challenge, truthfully. I seem to have the most success starting a big program push in April. Who knows why?

dailypractice: great job "waiting until you get hungry." When I ask myself if I am hungry, the answer is invariably ,"No." I am often unwilling to let myself feel empty.

onebyone: Yeah! for good numbers. It feels good to know small changes make a big difference.

spanky: I want Beck skills probably more than I want weight loss. I really want peace and health. But I'll take the lower numbers

karenRN: DH just had a low grade bug that messed with digestion. He took probiotics and it seemed to help.

Last edited by maryann; 04-18-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #164  

Hello Coaches
I really want to stay caught up with personals. It's so awesome that so many of us are all here, posting every day, and working this program together! It's so helpful to me to hear how you all are doing. Thanks so much.

Cheatin' Vegan Kudos for staying on plan with eating even though it’s been a tiring day. Good for you.

Bill: Yay for (close to) on plan eating during the festivities. And kudos for staying “legalistic” by calling the extra nibbles “snacks”. I followed the link to the cricket flour and yikes, that’s a new one on me. I’m chuckling to think that with all your knowledge about nutrition, you are considered unqualified to choose dog treats. LOL.

GardenerJoy: Yay for the success with the third person perspective about the optimal time to run errands. And yay for bypassing the ice cream.
Another 3rd person dialog I like to use I learned from Thomas Sterner in the book “The Practicing Mind” He writes “We need to be more of an observer of our thoughts and actions, like an instructor watching a student performing a task. The instructor is not judgmental or emotional. The instructor knows just what he or she wants the student to produce. The teacher observes the student’s actions, and when the student does something which is moving in the wrong direction, the instructor gently brings it to the student’s attention and pulls the student back on the proper path. A good instructor does not get emotional in response to the student moving off the path.”

P/A: I hope you’re able to fight off the cold and that you get some good sleep.

Spanky: Kudos for the on plan eating. Your treat of a music break with new headphones sounds really rewarding. I agree with you that I really wish to adopt the Beck skills, maybe even more than the weight loss. These skills (when I remember to use them) have really helped me over the past 3 years in several (non-diet-related) areas of my life.

Karen: Super that you’re now able to get in some walking (albeit less than you’d like). A Garmin Vivo, eh? I’ll have to google that. You’re ahead of me on that .. I read on running forums talk about various devices. That’s a whole new area I need to research now that I plan to start running more. Sounds like with those devices you can keep track of heart rate/pace and ???. Oh and strength training: I’m glad I’m not the only one who dislikes it. I appreciate your comment “but I know it's so important. I am going to redouble my efforts” Thanks for saying that. I’m going to try harder too.

Maryann: Hurray that the new food program is a success. I love your inspirational mantras: "Noon will always come" and "I'd rather be thinner and free." Plus ... Good job with all the veggies.

Nationalparker: Kudos for walking. And I know what you mean about letting yourself get too hungry. I have the same problem. Yay for recognizing it, and tomorrow's another day and another chance to try things a different way.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #165  

Smile A wild chicken chase

Hello Coaches
My neighbor has a chicken. (He used to have 3 of them, but recently 2 were killed by a predator of some sort). The chicken lives in a coop on wheels that can be rolled around the yard. Right now, the coop is in the front yard.

So we’re returning home from our evening walk and I notice that the chicken is wandering around their front yard. I’m afraid she’s going to walk out into the road and get run over. So, I go over there. But I don’t know anything about picking up chickens. I worry would it flap and flutter and kick and scream? Or run away? So I ring the doorbell, but nobody’s home. So I gently follow and shoo and coo and wave that chicken all over the yard till finally she finds her way back into her coop, ducking under a gap where the chicken wire didn’t quite meet the ground.

So that was good.

Even better: my pedometer, which registered slightly below 10K steps at the end of the final walk of the day, got pushed over the 10K mark.

Thanks to the chicken.

Oh dear. The lyrics to an old song are now going thru my head ... remember this?

Push up
every morning
10 times
not just now and then
Go you chicken fat, Go away.
Go you chicken fat go
Closed Thread